Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  MEDdMI : (18 April 2019 - 06:27 PM)

while I don't have weekends consistently off, working 2nd shift isn't so bad. I'm more likely to do stuff before work than after (when I'm already tired). Plus no rush hour traffic

@  TM2-Megatron : (18 April 2019 - 05:03 PM)

Switching shifts constantly is never good for one's health. There was a time when I worked overnights steady for about 2 years; did wonders for my health, as well

@  Nevermore : (18 April 2019 - 04:36 PM)

Don't miss early shift (and especially switching back and forth every two weeks) a bit.

@  Nevermore : (18 April 2019 - 04:36 PM)

Man, permanent late shift really has done wonders for my overal well-being. Never having to get up early for work, staying up late, weekends off... a ot of my coworkers think I'm crazy, but late shift is really my preferred shift.

@  Nevermore : (18 April 2019 - 04:33 PM)

(My total lack of sleep on that day might have contributed, though.)

At noon, it was warm.

On Monday, we went on strike early in the morning, I was also wearing to jackets and gloves and my toes and fingers were freezing.

@  wonko the sane? : (18 April 2019 - 04:31 PM)

Nope, right now my days are doing that. Frigid at night (Well, just below zero, but still.) and warm enough to be always be ill prepared during the day.

@  Nevermore : (18 April 2019 - 04:28 PM)

Today it's so warm I had to take a shower to wash off the sweat after a lengthy bike trip.

@  Nevermore : (18 April 2019 - 04:27 PM)

This past Friday I was wearing two jackets and winter gloves outside and took a hot bath when I returned home.

@  Nevermore : (18 April 2019 - 04:27 PM)

Is "April weather" an issue in other countries as well, or is that specifically a German phenomenon?

@  PlutoniumBoss : (16 April 2019 - 11:04 AM)

Well, when you understand the history of the area it make sense. It's basically a series of countries buying the place, moving in, saying "we rule you people now", and the locals shrugging and responding, "okay, you have fun with that".

@  Sabrblade : (16 April 2019 - 07:58 AM)

When did we all turn into Henry Higgins?

@  unluckiness : (16 April 2019 - 03:16 AM)

To be fair, most Americans can't get the hang of English, so I can understand why.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (16 April 2019 - 03:15 AM)

(And yeah, Calliope is a Greek muse, not French, but the street was named BY the French when they took over.)

@  PlutoniumBoss : (16 April 2019 - 03:10 AM)

In New Orleans there's a bunch of streets with French names that are pronounced by locals with a more English emphasis, for example "Calliope Street" is pronounced "CAL-lee-ope".

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (15 April 2019 - 11:56 PM)

I figured as much for Canadians.

@  TM2-Megatron : (15 April 2019 - 11:37 PM)

hm; whenever I've heard people talk about the school they said it the same way as the cathedral...but I guess that's in Canada, so they're probably more familiar with the cathedral than the school

@  Dracula : (15 April 2019 - 11:11 PM)

There's plenty of place names in the US like that. Around here we have an "el doh-RAY-doh," and up north there's a Cairo that's pronounced "kay-roh"

@  RichardT1977 : (15 April 2019 - 09:56 PM)

Yeah, the common pronunciation of the University is probably the reason most Americans don't pronounce the Cathedral name correctly.

@  Arazyr : (15 April 2019 - 08:03 PM)

That's my understanding of how the two are supposed to be pronounced as well.

@  Echowarrior : (15 April 2019 - 07:42 PM)

When I'm talking about the cathedral, I say "noh-treh dahme". When I talk about the university, I say "noh-ter dayme". I don't see a problem with that.

@  Paladin : (15 April 2019 - 06:26 PM)

guessing "Hunchback" just got bumped WAY down the list for Disney's live-action remakes...

@  Patch : (15 April 2019 - 05:56 PM)

We all pronounce it wrong, so no one knows enough to care.

@  TM2-Megatron : (15 April 2019 - 05:40 PM)

It'd be odd for most Americans not to know how to pronounce Notre Dame, considering they have a University with the same name that's the subject of a relatively popular film based around a sport most Americans love

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (15 April 2019 - 04:22 PM)

Three or four more hours will be needed to contain the fire.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (15 April 2019 - 04:22 PM)

Update from France 24: the Paris Fire Brigade says two towers and the main structure of the cathedral have been saved from complete destruction.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (15 April 2019 - 03:57 PM)

One does not have to speak French to know that rhyming with "voter name" is off the mark.

@  Locoman : (15 April 2019 - 03:51 PM)

Really? It's an international tragedy and you're zeroing in on the people who maybe don't speak French?

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (15 April 2019 - 03:44 PM)

@Tm_Silverclaw I just read on BBC News that the cause is not yet clear, but officials suspect the fire could be linked to renovation work.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (15 April 2019 - 03:42 PM)

Oh boy, here we go with the U.S.-American newscasters who can't pronounce "Notre Dame" correctly.

@  TheMightyMol... : (15 April 2019 - 03:38 PM)

Too soon to say.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (15 April 2019 - 03:20 PM)

Do we know if it was an attack? Arson? Or just bad wiring?

@  Nevermore : (15 April 2019 - 02:10 PM)

Religion is dead?

@  Paladin : (15 April 2019 - 02:01 PM)

major cathedral burning down on Holy Week is some kind of metaphor.

@  Benbot : (15 April 2019 - 12:54 PM)

Hard to believe a wonder of the world could just be wiped out so easily. Hopefully they can still save it

@  Benbot : (15 April 2019 - 12:51 PM)

Well, Notre Dame is burning down

@  Benbot : (15 April 2019 - 10:05 AM)

yikes I thought the site was going to be down for a while

@  Nevermore : (14 April 2019 - 09:07 PM)

So, time for another strike. No sleep for me tonight. Oh well.

@  Nevermore : (14 April 2019 - 09:04 PM)

Think Game of Thrones "light" meets Cabaret and you get the idea.

@  Nevermore : (14 April 2019 - 09:03 PM)

Kinda sorta, just with more intrigue, conspiracy, depravity, crime and violence.

@  RichardT1977 : (14 April 2019 - 06:37 PM)

So it's like a prequel to Cabaret?

@  Nevermore : (14 April 2019 - 04:02 PM)

And man, characters are smoking literally EVERYWHERE.

@  Nevermore : (14 April 2019 - 03:27 PM)

Also, full frontal male nudity. (There's been quite a bit of female nudity since episode 1.)

@  Nevermore : (14 April 2019 - 03:26 PM)

Episode 6, and Hitler is randomly name-checked.

@  Xellos : (14 April 2019 - 12:22 PM)

Runa runa!

@  Sabrblade : (14 April 2019 - 09:10 AM)

Wocka wocka!

@  The Doctor Who : (14 April 2019 - 06:59 AM)

Lewd

@  Paladin : (14 April 2019 - 06:57 AM)

troutstick.

@  MEDdMI : (14 April 2019 - 06:34 AM)

With a trout.

Photo
- - - - -

The 2018 community exercise thread!

677 replies to this topic

#1 wonko the sane?

wonko the sane?

Oh dear lord I am bored...

• Citizen
  • 41229 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 01 January 2018 - 09:24 AM

Hello all, and welcome to the 2018 edition of the allspark exercise thread. Where the community meets to share it's goals, intents and methods for living a healthier, longer life.

Now, for those whom have been paying attention: we did not meet out community goal last year. We came close, but didn't hit it. However, we DID add aspects to the rote so I kinda feel it balances out. With that in mind, a normal exercise routine would build upon what we've accomplished and add more. But we have to hit the goal before we can exceed it. So this is year is once again 5000 all round. I know we can do better this year, and I hope more allsparkers will choose to join us.

Miles -

Upper Body -

Core Body -

Let it begin!

#2 Fero McPigletron

Fero McPigletron

Not a Maverick! Maybe.

• Citizen
  • 8130 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 01 January 2018 - 09:56 AM

I might as well put down my goal at the first page. BMI whatever aside, I looked lean at 135lbs and I'm 5'6 (yeah, it's not in kg and cm).

I should check a scale tomorrow but my last weigh in was 167lbs and that was before two buffets. I'm probably 169lbs.

Let's just say I need to lose 35lbs. 1lbs a week would be ideal.

Focusing on diet then exercise. Here we go.

FWXOT0z.gif

TOY DRAMA THEATER!

1 minute of (minimal) lights, (steady) camera and...  ACTION FIGURES! (mostly Transformers) - Episode 031: Combiners and chest envy 

Episodes here

#3 wonko the sane?

wonko the sane?

• Citizen
  • 41229 posts

Posted 01 January 2018 - 10:19 AM

Fero: YOU CAN DO IT! The real trick is portion control, being aware of what you are eating and how much of it.

#4 Kup

Kup
  • Supporter
  • 2964 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 01 January 2018 - 10:29 AM

Is the 5000 reps for the upper body / core?

Where do leg day reps fit in? Core?

Edit: also the company I work for is doing a fit for 2018 series I produced. It has a Christian slant since I work for a ministry but if anyone would like a link to it just let me know. Were releasing one segment each Monday this month.

Edit 2: okay sorry I realized that I dont understand how core works to hit the 5000. I held a plank the other day for 2 minutes straight. Does that count towards the number?

Also feeling guilty since Ive been doing a daily workout routine since mid September and didnt take part in this.

Edited by Kup, 01 January 2018 - 10:33 AM.

"Someone once told me that Time is a predator that stalked us all our lives, but I'd rather believe that Time is a companion who goes with us on the journey, and reminds us to cherish every moment -- because they'll never come again."

#5 wonko the sane?

wonko the sane?

• Citizen
  • 41229 posts

Posted 01 January 2018 - 10:38 AM

You should feel guilty. We could have used your help to get to 5000 miles last year. MORE TO THE POINT: if you aren't here we can't cheer you on and support you.

Core and upper body are generally counted by reps regardless of the exercise. So while 2 minutes planking is impressive (and dude, it is.) it's still just one rep. Yes, 5000 for everything right now, and depending on if/when we hit goals, we move the goalposts. By all means: share exercise videos! One of the worst things amateurs and enthusiasts can do is hurt themselves trying because there is no one and nothing there to correct bad form and posture.

Speaking of: Hey DARTH! Think you can post those exercise pages again like you did last year? You know, the batman, the lannister, those if you still got them?

#6 Kup

Kup
  • Supporter
  • 2964 posts

Posted 01 January 2018 - 11:18 AM

Leg day = Core?

Also its not likely my miles would have made much of a difference. I didn't run as much last year, spending Jan to June and Sept to Dec on lots of strength training.

Today:

Miles: 0

Upper Body: 225

Core: 0

Just so I make sure I'm doing this right: 225 is 25 reps x 9 sets of chest press.

The first fit segment goes live in about 20 minutes (12:01pm EST if I remember right), but once live it'll be visible here: https://wtlw.com/fit...ysical-fitness/

Edited by Kup, 01 January 2018 - 11:40 AM.

"Someone once told me that Time is a predator that stalked us all our lives, but I'd rather believe that Time is a companion who goes with us on the journey, and reminds us to cherish every moment -- because they'll never come again."

#7 Darth_Prime

Darth_Prime
  • Citizen
  • 7376 posts
  • Faction::Dinobot

Posted 01 January 2018 - 11:57 AM

My goal is just to stay more active. Personal goals, 1000 miles biking (887 for 2017) and 125 miles running (107 2017).

#8 wonko the sane?

wonko the sane?

• Citizen
  • 41229 posts

Posted 01 January 2018 - 12:25 PM

Leg day = Core?

Also its not likely my miles would have made much of a difference. I didn't run as much last year, spending Jan to June and Sept to Dec on lots of strength training.

Today:

Miles: 0

Just so I make sure I'm doing this right: 225 is 25 reps x 9 sets of chest press.

The first fit segment goes live in about 20 minutes (12:01pm EST if I remember right), but once live it'll be visible here: https://wtlw.com/fit...ysical-fitness/

You are not only doing it absolutely right, that's hugging inspiring right there.

#9 Darth_Prime

Darth_Prime
  • Citizen
  • 7376 posts

Posted 01 January 2018 - 12:45 PM

So this is my 2016 vs 2017 miles, steps, etc. I lost my Garmin watch for a bit and I dont always use Garmin when on my cycle ops using Zwift or treadmills. Strava said the 800 some miles for cycling.

Attached Thumbnails

• FB35CDDC-D486-42E1-B268-16B80ABAB2C7.png
  • 8A74763A-C5B1-461F-AD94-50ABC8AE532E.jpeg

#10 Kup

Kup
  • Supporter
  • 2964 posts

Posted 01 January 2018 - 01:44 PM

You are not only doing it absolutely right, that's hugging inspiring right there.

Well to be clear, what I've been doing all year has been high rep, low weight. Initially, I felt like I was cheating, but I can say this: I'm far, far trimmer and look better with my shirt off than I ever have before. If I wasn't so self conscious about my physique still and publishing a shirtless photo on a public forum, I'd show how I looked on 1/2014 compared to today. So if anyone is struggling, I'd recommend you give serious consideration to high rep, low weight routines. I do everything at home.

I've used 2-20 pound dumbbells for most chest press/bicep, shoulder press sets. Usually, I try to get in 25-30 reps per set, every so often (if its a chest press only day) I'll do one set of 50 to start and work my way down (maybe my next set is 40, then 35, etc). 

For other exercises, like shoulder cuff stuff, butterfly, back, I've used 2-5 pound dumbbells. The exception is some specific moves I do with a 15 pound kettlebell.

Recently, I added 2-25 pound and 2-10 dumbbells to my lineup, basically bumping up everything to the next level. Started doing 1-25 dumbbell for triceps (I think the specific move is called skullsmahers?)

Between each set, I walk for 200 steps (95% of the time, sometimes, if its a full upper body day and I'm needing to get the last few exercises in quickly I'll do only 50 steps). 

A really beneficial thing I've found is to calculate the total weight I've lifted that day. While I don't always do it, on days where I'm aiming to push myself a bit more I will. I just take the total number of reps x whatever the weights I used were. My record was 13,000 pound day on Dec 13. I can really only set records on chest press days, so doing the math that was probably 325 reps x 40 pounds (2-20 pound dumb bells). 

#11 Darth_Prime

Darth_Prime
  • Citizen
  • 7376 posts

Posted 01 January 2018 - 03:32 PM

Miles: 0 + 3.08 = 3.08

Went for run. 39 but feels like 50. My knees and hands agree with the 39 degree part. Lol. Took a walk for a cool down when done. I find as the older I get the more and more helpful the cooldown walks get. I wanted to go mountain bike today but obviously that didnt happen. I had this crazy idea though: Run a mile everyday.

Attached Thumbnails

• 82647ED6-D605-43F2-A2D0-81BD8CADAC73.jpeg

#12 Msol

Msol

Grade killer.

• Supporter
  • 3546 posts

Posted 01 January 2018 - 03:52 PM

Alright, its go time again! Gonna be in a wedding party July 20th.

With people from my old high school. Some I havent seen in 17 years and who I will *never see again!*

I must use this vain and trivial event. Harness the power of superficiality... and actually use my treadmill!

Wish me luck!

#13 Darth_Prime

Darth_Prime
  • Citizen
  • 7376 posts

Posted 01 January 2018 - 04:03 PM

Well to be clear, what I've been doing all year has been high rep, low weight. Initially, I felt like I was cheating, but I can say this: I'm far, far trimmer and look better with my shirt off than I ever have before. If I wasn't so self conscious about my physique still and publishing a shirtless photo on a public forum, I'd show how I looked on 1/2014 compared to today. So if anyone is struggling, I'd recommend you give serious consideration to high rep, low weight routines. I do everything at home.

This is what i attempt to do on strength days. If I don’t do this, 3 sets of 10. If you look up “Body For Life” it’s a great system. They set up theirs as sets of 12, 10, 8, 6, 12 then next exercise.

Alright, its go time again! Gonna be in a wedding party July 20th.
With people from my old high school. Some I havent seen in 17 years and who I will *never see again!*
I must use this vain and trivial event. Harness the power of superficiality... and actually use my treadmill!
Wish me luck!

Hahaha....and hope the skinny cheerleader is now fat divorced and smokes?

#14 Msol

Msol

Grade killer.

• Supporter
  • 3546 posts

Posted 01 January 2018 - 04:44 PM

Nahhhhh

#15 Darth_Prime

Darth_Prime
  • Citizen
  • 7376 posts

Posted 01 January 2018 - 08:38 PM

This is more for myself to look back on. Current weight: 243lbs.

#16 Msol

Msol

Grade killer.

• Supporter
  • 3546 posts

Posted 01 January 2018 - 09:57 PM

Oh dont get me wrong, its the same for me. But thats not exactly been a great motivator for me the past year.

The toddler doesnt help, though!

#17 Darth_Prime

Darth_Prime
  • Citizen
  • 7376 posts

Posted 01 January 2018 - 10:27 PM

Oh dont get me wrong, its the same for me. But thats not exactly been a great motivator for me the past year.

The toddler doesnt help, though!

I have a 4 month old...Its hard to get away sometimes.  

#18 Kup

Kup
  • Supporter
  • 2964 posts

Posted 02 January 2018 - 08:13 AM

Miss: 3.08
Upper: 225
Core: 100 squats + 50 calf raises + 1 minute wall sit = 151

#19 wonko the sane?

wonko the sane?

• Citizen
  • 41229 posts

Posted 02 January 2018 - 12:21 PM

Miles: 3.08 + 3.6 = 6.68
Core: 151

Took a long walk for supplies in very cold weather.

#20 Darth_Prime

Darth_Prime
  • Citizen
  • 7376 posts

Posted 02 January 2018 - 01:09 PM

Miles: 6.68 + 1 = 7.78
Core: 151 + 45 = 196

Did a 1 mile warm up on the treadmill then:
Sets of 15, 12, 10, 8
Chest fly
Chest press
Back row
Last pulldown
Tricep press
Bicep curl

I wasn’t really sure last year and I’m not sure this year what all those count for. Lol.

Also, here is my new goal for 2018: 2018km between running, biking, hiking. Comes out to 1253.927 miles.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users