Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  wonko the sane? : (13 September 2019 - 01:54 PM)

Why do you feel a need to label yourself for doing something harmless?

@  Telly : (13 September 2019 - 11:10 AM)

thats more than i look at on reddit

@  Benbot : (13 September 2019 - 10:49 AM)

am I a basic bitch for only browsing the front page of Reddit?

@  Shrug : (12 September 2019 - 12:26 PM)

I managed to find about 2/3s of my goal Sega Genesis collection before the last price bump

@  Anonymous X : (12 September 2019 - 11:11 AM)

So relieved that I picked up most of my NTSC GameCube collection in 2010/11 before prices on the secondary market went bezerk...

@  unluckiness : (12 September 2019 - 12:54 AM)

I have fond memories of it since it was the last console Mario Kart that didn't have the ridiculous pre-race cart assembly

@  TM2-Megatron : (11 September 2019 - 10:26 PM)

Like many Gamecube games, underrated

@  unluckiness : (11 September 2019 - 09:24 AM)

Double Dash is great. Just watch out for blue shells

@  Bass X0 : (11 September 2019 - 07:43 AM)

I used a double dash on my mobile. The chat didn’t like it.

@  TheMightyMol... : (11 September 2019 - 04:17 AM)

The mobile version of the site chokes on certain characters, I think.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (11 September 2019 - 04:10 AM)

what's with that punctuation anyway

@  Nevermore : (11 September 2019 - 03:20 AM)

Now where did that come from, Bass X0?

@  Bass X0 : (11 September 2019 - 01:52 AM)

Politics and Religion — tools of foul play!

@  TM2-Megatron : (10 September 2019 - 11:10 PM)

If you owe, you're expected to actually pay it at the time you file, before they even process your return

@  TM2-Megatron : (10 September 2019 - 11:10 PM)

If you file electronically, I find you usually get your refund within a couple weeks

@  Nevermore : (10 September 2019 - 06:22 PM)

Well, lucky it took less than two months for me. For a little over 200 Euros.

@  wonko the sane? : (10 September 2019 - 06:11 PM)

Pretty much, yeah. Canada revenue will be all up your ass if you earn less than 200K and owe tax, but your refund is basically "duke nukem forever".

@  Nevermore : (10 September 2019 - 05:34 PM)

Whereas if you overpaid and they have to refund you, they will take their sweet time to let you know.

@  Nevermore : (10 September 2019 - 05:34 PM)

Like, here in Germany, if the tax authority responds to your tax report quickly, you can rest assured they want more money.

@  Nevermore : (10 September 2019 - 05:33 PM)

Do tax authorities in other countries base their time to respond to filed tax reports on whether they owe or are owed as well?

@  wonko the sane? : (10 September 2019 - 11:13 AM)

Check what the requirements are for your cad program, and try to beat them by about 20%, and understand that software requirements have been stable for a few years: not really keeping up with the advancements in hardware. Unless you're doing something SPECIFIC which requires ludicrous amounts of power, just give your self a cushion on hardware and don't bother going whole hog.

@  Benbot : (10 September 2019 - 10:16 AM)

What I'm currently using is an i5 2018 Surface Laptop. My current desktop is all but dead. I think in the end affordability will win out over specs. I need to use CAD programs, but I'm a student, not a professional.

@  wonko the sane? : (10 September 2019 - 10:06 AM)

Okay. Whats the specs on the I7 and what are you currently using?

@  Benbot : (10 September 2019 - 09:23 AM)

fun and games

@  wonko the sane? : (09 September 2019 - 04:43 PM)

Depends entirely on what you use the computer for.

@  Steevy Maximus : (09 September 2019 - 11:52 AM)

Probably not

@  Benbot : (09 September 2019 - 09:39 AM)

Do I need an i7 on my new computer?

@  Nevermore : (08 September 2019 - 12:08 PM)

https://imgur.com/fkyjpza

@  Nevermore : (08 September 2019 - 12:07 PM)

Today's convention haul:

@  wonko the sane? : (08 September 2019 - 08:54 AM)

But it was Huuunnngrrrryyyy. What was I supposed to do?

@  MEDdMI : (08 September 2019 - 08:23 AM)

But did you feed any small fuzzy creatures after midnight?

@  wonko the sane? : (08 September 2019 - 06:32 AM)

Shouldn't be. I literally just built it. Not even three weeks ago even.

@  TM2-Megatron : (07 September 2019 - 10:13 PM)

Sounds like your computer's on its last lags, Wonko

@  wonko the sane? : (07 September 2019 - 07:37 PM)

Dunno, crucial says it's fine, gonna need a second opinion.

@  Pennpenn : (07 September 2019 - 06:52 PM)

Good luck! (or break a leg if it's like theater luck...)

@  wonko the sane? : (07 September 2019 - 06:46 PM)

Alright. The damages now seem to include my primary SSD. Thankfully, the gaming drive (I have now lost all my games and mods entirely.) Let me wipe it and install there. Once the crucial utility is installed again, will verify the drive.

@  wonko the sane? : (07 September 2019 - 03:32 PM)

Three more crashes since I pulled the ram. Verifying the OS now... tonight might be a reinstalling kinda night.

@  wonko the sane? : (07 September 2019 - 11:46 AM)

And thankfully it wasn't totally dead, so it was working on occassion. If the problem is actually solved, I just need to wait and see if the program/system crashes are over.

@  wonko the sane? : (07 September 2019 - 11:45 AM)

Got it. I wound up running the memtest four more times, because of course it's always the last dimm. But I got the culprit. I lost 8 gig, but I'm still at three times the "recommended" amount.

@  Hg Dragon : (07 September 2019 - 11:09 AM)

DL and run MemTest86. It'll help weed out issues. Run 1 stick at a time. Then run a stick that passed in each slot. Will help you find out if it's the RAM or the slot/motherboard

@  Patch : (07 September 2019 - 10:45 AM)

How many RAM sticks do you have total?

@  wonko the sane? : (07 September 2019 - 09:57 AM)

Great, two weeks of random BSODs, and I manage to finally work out some ram has gone bad. Just need to work out which one(s) and then I can go from there.

@  wonko the sane? : (07 September 2019 - 06:25 AM)

*just stares*

@  unluckiness : (07 September 2019 - 04:27 AM)

My french is rusty but I'd guess Italienne-americain pain du sauce

@  Nevermore : (07 September 2019 - 02:58 AM)

What do they want "pizza" to be called? Crpes superior?

@  unluckiness : (07 September 2019 - 01:11 AM)

Are they still suing Italian restaurants for having food that's insufficiently French?

@  PlutoniumBoss : (06 September 2019 - 10:31 PM)

Not even Quebec likes Quebec?

@  TM2-Megatron : (06 September 2019 - 08:51 PM)

Quebec's a special case; they just have an insatiable lust for hate

@  Ashley : (06 September 2019 - 07:48 PM)

Those weird language laws are basically anti-everyone. Who does it help to stop certain toys from being sold there?

@  TM2-Megatron : (06 September 2019 - 04:56 PM)

Canada is one of those rare countries that's paradoxically both anti-business (except for the chosen few) and anti-consumer

Photo
- - - - -

The Toys That Made Us: New Netflix Docu-series featuring Star Wars, GI Joe, He-Man, and Barbie

235 replies to this topic

#41 tec

tec

My love to KyoAni

• Supporter
  • 30858 posts
  • Faction::Lesbian Ninja

Posted 08 January 2018 - 10:54 AM

My rekindled love of Star Wars happened the day I bought Shadows of the Empire for the N64

Visit my store! Vintage toys (SW/ST/TFs Collectables)

www.vintagenerdvana.com

Wait. Wait, wait, wait. Are you telling me that tec has a job? I thought his sole reasons for existence are cheesecake and horrible grammar.-Shadowman024

#42 ultra magnus13

ultra magnus13

Razzaroo

• Citizen
  • 6676 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 08 January 2018 - 10:58 AM

Apparently there were no SW toys from 1986-94? I had never heard that.

its true. once the first power of the force ended that was it (wait. when were the ewoks and droids toys out? anyway...). i think it was pretty much considered a dead toy franchise until the orange card series kicked off and everyone lost their shit over them (me included). they hit at just the right time, when people who had grown up with the original toys were entering the work force and could buy what they wanted now

I was so dissappointed they didn't cover the Orange Card stuff, and acted like the relaunch began with Phantom Menace. It was an important moment in my childhood.

Haven't watched yet, but that sounds like a bummer. I was too young for vintage kenner figures, until orange card PotF all I had for Star Wars toys where some bendy figures, and some Galoob stuff (Micro Machines, and Action Fleet) there was a very real draught of Star Wars merch for ahwile, as wierd as that seems now.
I finally got rid of that big white box.

#43 ShinMusashi44

ShinMusashi44
  • Citizen
  • 489 posts

Posted 08 January 2018 - 11:19 AM

its true. once the first power of the force ended that was it (wait. when were the ewoks and droids toys out? anyway...). i think it was pretty much considered a dead toy franchise until the orange card series kicked off and everyone lost their shit over them (me included). they hit at just the right time, when people who had grown up with the original toys were entering the work force and could buy what they wanted now

I was so dissappointed they didn't cover the Orange Card stuff, and acted like the relaunch began with Phantom Menace. It was an important moment in my childhood.

Yeah that was a huge problem for me too. They mention the 90s POTF for one second and moved on to talking about episode 1. POTF was huge and got many people to collect star wars. The other big problem I had was the MOTU episode where they don't even mention matty collector as the one making the classic line, they just jump to Super 7 having the line.

#44 ChessPieceFace

ChessPieceFace

I have approximate knowledge of many things

• Retired Staff
  • 23031 posts

Posted 08 January 2018 - 12:48 PM

Well, they're obviously trying to fit 30+ years of interesting history into 45 minutes, so some details are going to be skimmed over. I noticed the Power of the Force omission too, but really, the interesting part of the story was that Star Wars had stopped being a juggernaut by 1985, and both Lucas and Kenner effectively abandoned it for a decade. When Lucas decided to resurrect it by announcing the prequels and Special Editions, Kenner realized they had thrown away billions in future profits over a measly $10k annual payment, and had to renegotiate the deal. Then as the new movies came out, a new generation bought Star Wars toys, and they never stopped again. That's the meat of the story, and the show told it. The He-Manly sculpts of the early PotF line could've been a fun diversion for 15 seconds, but I get that it might have taken away from the thrust of the story they were telling.

The Joe/SHIELD thing I didn't know about, but that's an even less significant detail. Most writers-for-hire will "recast" failed pitches for other properties. I mean, that's how every "Die Hard" sequel started. And the episode was about the toys and how they used the comic to sell the toys.

#45 G.B.Blackrock

G.B.Blackrock

Autobot Ally

• Supporter
  • 12583 posts
  • Faction::RIRFIB

Posted 08 January 2018 - 12:56 PM

I can totally accept that certain aspects of the story would get glossed over in the need to simplify the story for less obsessive fans and to meet the (arbitrary, given that it's Netflix) run time, but I'm not okay with changing history altogether. To suggest that the Star Wars toyline was revived for the prequel trilogy is indeed such a change I'm not okay with.

(I'd want to double-check before asserting this too loudly, but given where SotE fits in, I don't even think the prequels were conceived yet when PotF2 started!)

Edited by G.B.Blackrock, 08 January 2018 - 12:58 PM.

#46 Mouse_Pad

Mouse_Pad

It's a nice day for a...

• Citizen
  • 9160 posts

Posted 08 January 2018 - 12:57 PM

I binged through the series this weekend.  I enjoyed it a lot -- even the Barbie episode, which is not a brand that I've ever cared about.  So the show did a good job of making the information lively and entertaining.  But I agree that it left out a lot of significant details.  The deregulation of childrens' advertising is a key element to the success of both He-Man and G.I. Joe, but it wasn't really mentioned.  The Joe episode at least talked about the commercial advertising the comic book, but didn't explain how the cartoon fit into that.

#47 Thylacine 2000

Thylacine 2000

Charismatic Megafauna

• Citizen
  • 16811 posts

Posted 08 January 2018 - 01:20 PM

It also would have been more honest if them to acknowledge the failure and effective - if not actual - cancellation of GIJoe.

#48 Telly

Telly

Killing forums since 1999!

• Retired Staff
  • 8044 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 08 January 2018 - 02:30 PM

(I'd want to double-check before asserting this too loudly, but given where SotE fits in, I don't even think the prequels were conceived yet when PotF2 started!)

shadows came out in '96, so they MAY have been kicking around an idea for the prequels. actually, looking at wiki, they started on the prequels as early as '94 (https://en.wikipedia...tion_and_design). maybe shadows was an attempt to start building hype for new movies

When I die I will surely go to Heaven for i spent my life in Hell

#49 G.B.Blackrock

G.B.Blackrock

Autobot Ally

• Supporter
  • 12583 posts

Posted 08 January 2018 - 02:35 PM

shadows came out in '96, so they MAY have been kicking around an idea for the prequels. actually, looking at wiki, they started on the prequels as early as '94 (https://en.wikipedia...tion_and_design). maybe shadows was an attempt to start building hype for new movies

By the time of Shadows, I'm willing to agree that the Prequels might have been kicking around as a concept. Indeed, it seems more or less certain. I'm less willing to make that concession for when PotF2 began a couple of years earlier. At best, your timeline suggests that the concepts started as PotF2 actually hit the shelves, but Kenner had to start work on PotF2 well before that....

And, IMHO, Shadows was absolutely an attempt to start building hype for new movies. But not just the Prequels. It was building hype for the Special Editions, which themselves were done to build funding for the prequels.

Edited by G.B.Blackrock, 08 January 2018 - 02:40 PM.

• tec likes this

#50 Telly

Telly

• Retired Staff
  • 8044 posts

Posted 08 January 2018 - 03:19 PM

By the time of Shadows, I'm willing to agree that the Prequels might have been kicking around as a concept. Indeed, it seems more or less certain. I'm less willing to make that concession for when PotF2 began a couple of years earlier. At best, your timeline suggests that the concepts started as PotF2 actually hit the shelves, but Kenner had to start work on PotF2 well before that...

im not exactly sure what youre getting at (its not you, its me. im not as sharp as i used to be). potf2 came out before shadows, obviously. and everything ive read says it was '95 They were at toy fair '96 https://news.google....=4065,3144089).i KNOW they couldnt have come out any later than '95 because i was witha girl who made fun of me for buying them, and we broke up in '95 lol im sure kenner started work on the figures in probly '92 or '93. we all know it takes a couple years to go from design to store shelves

#51 G.B.Blackrock

G.B.Blackrock

Autobot Ally

• Supporter
  • 12583 posts

Posted 08 January 2018 - 04:11 PM

By the time of Shadows, I'm willing to agree that the Prequels might have been kicking around as a concept. Indeed, it seems more or less certain. I'm less willing to make that concession for when PotF2 began a couple of years earlier. At best, your timeline suggests that the concepts started as PotF2 actually hit the shelves, but Kenner had to start work on PotF2 well before that...

im not exactly sure what youre getting at (its not you, its me. im not as sharp as i used to be). potf2 came out before shadows, obviously. and everything ive read says it was '95 They were at toy fair '96 https://news.google....=4065,3144089).i KNOW they couldnt have come out any later than '95 because i was witha girl who made fun of me for buying them, and we broke up in '95 lol im sure kenner started work on the figures in probly '92 or '93. we all know it takes a couple years to go from design to store shelves

I think you're coming around to the point. Because Shadows, itself, was after PotF2, and Shadows was barely early enough to be when the prequels were being planned, I assert that PotF2's emergence had nothing whatsoever to do with the fact that the prequels would eventually exist.

#52 Telly

Telly

• Retired Staff
  • 8044 posts

Posted 08 January 2018 - 04:46 PM

ah. gotcha now. yeah i dont think anyone knew the prequels were coming when they started

#53 ChessPieceFace

ChessPieceFace

I have approximate knowledge of many things

• Retired Staff
  • 23031 posts

Posted 08 January 2018 - 04:52 PM

ah. gotcha now. yeah i dont think anyone knew the prequels were coming when they started

From Wikipedia:

In the early 1990s, Star Wars saw a resurgence in popularity in the wake of Dark Horse's comic line and Timothy Zahn's trilogy of novels. Lucas saw there was still a large audience for his idea of a prequel trilogy and with the development of special effects generated with computer-generated imagery (CGI), Lucas considered returning to his saga and directing the film. In 1993, it was announced in Variety and other sources that he would be making the prequels.

https://en.wikipedia..._Phantom_Menace

So, all development for PotF action figures, from contract negotiation to design to release, would likely have been after the prequels were announced and in pre(-pre)-production. 

#54 Rhinox

Rhinox

Yeah, I'm kind of pissy.

• Supporter
  • 14142 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 09 January 2018 - 01:24 AM

when the deuce are the next episodes coming?  I want more!

"Why does history repeat itself? Because God doesn't have TiVo."

Wounds of honor are always self inflicted.

#55 Dake

Dake

Resident resident

• Supporter
  • 19115 posts

Posted 10 January 2018 - 11:56 AM

How's the treatment on Joe and Barbie? Neither of those is an 80s line. They existed in the 80s, but that's because Barbie is eternal and Joe was an also-ran in between He-Man and Transformers.

Wha? ARAH was an "also ran"? It came out the same year as He-Man, was a direct competitor, and predated Transformers by two years. Without ARAH one could argue GIJoe would just be another Mego.

Anyway, finally sat down and watched the first ep and it is pretty well done. But as others have mentioned, skipping over the POTF 2 introduction is a fairly glaring omission if the goal is to track the toyline's history.

As to chronology, the toy revival coincided with the '95 "final" release of the trilogy on VHS and Laserdisc. Here's an article talking about those specifically, and how they were the first step in the plan towards the special editions and prequels. It was definitely a big deal as it was the first line to truly capitalize on the burgeoning vintage toy craze and set the stage (for better and worse) for the industry as we see it today.

8ZSy6aw.jpg

#56 Powered Convoy

Powered Convoy

Skywarp Connoisseur

• Retired Staff
  • 65605 posts

Posted 13 January 2018 - 04:28 PM

I laughed watching these.
Especially funny to me was seeing something I entered in the He-Man "Create a character" contest that got turned into a toy (even though I received noting for it).
Funny to think that was a popular character for some.
Sure, it ticked me off at the time, but now...
heh.

Might I ask which character it was?

;)

ACItEK8.png

#57 Powered Convoy

Powered Convoy

Skywarp Connoisseur

• Retired Staff
  • 65605 posts

Posted 13 January 2018 - 04:29 PM

I laughed watching these.
Especially funny to me was seeing something I entered in the He-Man "Create a character" contest that got turned into a toy (even though I received noting for it).
Funny to think that was a popular character for some.
Sure, it ticked me off at the time, but now...
heh.

Might I ask which character it was? :)

ACItEK8.png

#58 ZacWilliam1

ZacWilliam1
  • Citizen
  • 17201 posts

Posted 13 January 2018 - 05:45 PM

Fearless Photog won the contest:

https://en.m.wikiped...Fearless_Photog

ZacWilliam, but didn't actually get a toy until 2011.
Ever wonder about the speed of Turbofoxes?
Or the proverbial ailerons of Titanium Moosebots?

*Visit the one and only Cybertronic Bestiary.
For a mechazoologic tour of the mechanimals of Cybertron.

#59 ZacWilliam1

ZacWilliam1
  • Citizen
  • 17201 posts

Posted 13 January 2018 - 08:42 PM

You're missremembering.

The eyeball guy was one of the five finalists. You can see them all here:

http://www.grayskull...on/Fearless.htm

He wasn't the final winner. Kids had to call in and vote and Photog won that vote.

-ZacWilliam, remembers getting the entry sheet for this at the local mall and drawing characters at the A&W Root Beer restaurant there but not if he ever entered the ones he drew.
Ever wonder about the speed of Turbofoxes?
Or the proverbial ailerons of Titanium Moosebots?

*Visit the one and only Cybertronic Bestiary.
For a mechazoologic tour of the mechanimals of Cybertron.

#60 Powered Convoy

Powered Convoy

Skywarp Connoisseur

• Retired Staff
  • 65605 posts

Posted 13 January 2018 - 10:18 PM

Ironically my brother drew an illustration of a bunch of MotU characters fighting when he was a kid in the 80's and actually drew Photog in the illustration. He must have had the information about the winner and Drew him in anticipation of the figure that wouldn't be made for over twenty years.

ACItEK8.png

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users