Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  TheMightyMol... : (14 August 2020 - 02:47 AM)

Fake news, no shinobi.

@  Sabrblade : (13 August 2020 - 10:31 PM)

Turns out the President set the whole thing up as a publicity stunt. Very rude.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (13 August 2020 - 08:11 PM)

The ninjas will go away, it will be fine.

@  Paladin : (13 August 2020 - 08:02 PM)

listen; i'm sure there were very fine ninjas on both sides.

@  TheMightyMol... : (13 August 2020 - 07:50 PM)

My thoughts and prayers go out to the ninjas.

@  Cybersnark : (13 August 2020 - 06:36 PM)

Can we just let them have him?

@  Bass X0 : (13 August 2020 - 06:18 PM)

The president has been kidnapped by ninjas. Are you a bad enough dude to rescue the president?

@  Otaku : (13 August 2020 - 03:08 PM)

At first, I obviously thought I was correct.  Then I thought perhaps the spelling had changed for some reason.  Copyright/trademark law is weird, ya know?  Now I just accept I goofed. XD

@  Otaku : (13 August 2020 - 03:07 PM)

See, that one directly applies to me.  Apparently, I'd been misreading and mispronouncing it wrong for over 30 years... and I still slip and do it the wrong way much of the time.

@  Paladin : (13 August 2020 - 07:37 AM)

for the Internet age its the "Berenstain" Effect.

@  Bass X0 : (12 August 2020 - 01:49 PM)

Can you root for what The Rock is cooking!?

@  -LittleAutob... : (12 August 2020 - 10:35 AM)

sOmEoNe NoTiCeD-

@  wonko the sane? : (12 August 2020 - 07:37 AM)

I am the only one rooting for the rock these days?

@  Maximus Ambus : (12 August 2020 - 12:37 AM)

Sour grapes for the next decade until Apophis hits.

@  Hg Dragon : (11 August 2020 - 11:26 PM)

Thank yoo for vatching hydroolic pthress chan-nel.

@  Hg Dragon : (11 August 2020 - 11:19 PM)

Hey, do you have any grapes?

@  Otaku : (11 August 2020 - 05:18 PM)

I dunno... it sounds kind of quackers to me.

@  -LittleAutob... : (11 August 2020 - 05:17 PM)

That would be nice....

@  TheMightyMol... : (11 August 2020 - 04:36 PM)

I wish I could just sit by a pond and watch ducks for a while.

@  Maximus Ambus : (11 August 2020 - 03:52 AM)

Others say Joe sat down at this pond next to these ducks but really there's just no place in this world for an old man and his ducks.

@  Nevermore : (10 August 2020 - 06:48 PM)

Even worse when I can produce those verifiable facts at a later point, and then the other person simply claims the argument was the other way round (as in, I was actually arguing their position and vice versa).

@  Nevermore : (10 August 2020 - 06:47 PM)

I can argue with people about my versus their memory of events when verifiable facts are not readily available, though, and I get really annoyed when I'm capable of presenting a precise, step-by-step summary with multiple key points that can be used for future verification, and the other person just goes "nope, wrong" without going into detail.

@  Nevermore : (10 August 2020 - 06:45 PM)

I forget things, and I misremember things. But when presented with verifiable facts, my reaction is more like "Huh, could have sworn it was like that", not "this reality is not my own".

@  Nevermore : (10 August 2020 - 06:43 PM)

I have an extremely good memory (which I have proven time and again), and even I can be mistaken.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (10 August 2020 - 06:40 PM)

Might be worth pointing out that it only became "Mandela Effect" and not just "I remembered this wrong" when a conspiracy theorist insisted it was proof of alternate timelines.

@  Otaku : (10 August 2020 - 06:29 PM)

Incorrectly remembering Nelson Mandela's fate may be uniquely American... but is it really that strange to get South African political history wrong when you're no where near South Africa?

@  Otaku : (10 August 2020 - 06:29 PM)

I always assumed the Mandela Effect was a "human thing", not an American thing.

@  wonko the sane? : (10 August 2020 - 02:03 PM)

Then there are people who outright manufacture memories for whatever reason.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (10 August 2020 - 01:13 PM)

The human brain is so flaky that it is extremely unlikely that a given person does NOT have any false memories.

@  OverDrive73 : (10 August 2020 - 01:05 PM)

Perhaps it's simple word association the movie Sinbad and then our minds apply the same memories to a man named Sinbad.

@  OverDrive73 : (10 August 2020 - 01:04 PM)

The Mandela Effect is the same as people remembering Sinbad in a movie where he played a genie... Of which he never did.

@  MidnightFox : (10 August 2020 - 09:36 AM)

People that believe Mandela Effect things would rather come up with any number of reasons as to why their version doesn't have any actual evidence(like alternate timelines collapsing into our own) than just admit they remembered something wrong

@  MidnightFox : (10 August 2020 - 09:35 AM)

Sort of. It's more that when presented with a verifiable fact, they double down because it's what they believe instead of changing their minds

@  ▲ndrusi : (10 August 2020 - 09:25 AM)

"I could have sworn that ______."

@  ▲ndrusi : (10 August 2020 - 09:25 AM)

I'm not arguing with either of those two statements, but they're not really connected. Mandela Effect is, to oversimplify, people being widely mistaken about what they think *is* a verifiable fact. Nothing to do with opinions.

@  MidnightFox : (10 August 2020 - 08:52 AM)

Pretty sure the Mandela Effect in general is an American thing. Opinion > Verifiable Facts is sadly a pretty American thing

@  Nevermore : (10 August 2020 - 04:27 AM)

Ask these people how Apartheid ended according to their recollection, and I'm sure they'll draw a blank.

@  Nevermore : (10 August 2020 - 04:25 AM)

You got two black anti-Apartheid activists who were imprisoned by the oppressive regime. One died, the other was Nelson Mandela. It's not a far stretch that Americans who don't know many details about the history of other countries would mix up the two.

@  Nevermore : (10 August 2020 - 04:24 AM)

My own theory is that these people are simply mixing up Nelson Mandela and Steve Biko, another South African anti-Apartheid activist, who did indeed die in police custody in 1977. There was an Oscar-nominated movie about his life starring Denzel Washington that came out in 1987, the same time frame these people claim remembering Mandela dying.

@  Nevermore : (10 August 2020 - 04:17 AM)

I met a few people from South Africa, and they either never heard of the phenomenon at all, or only know of it from the internet. Apparently, it's completely unknown in South Africa, and it might even be entirely limited to the United States.

@  Nevermore : (10 August 2020 - 04:16 AM)

So does anyone remember the "Mandela Effect"? I'm talking specifically about the original case where many people vividly remember Nelson Mandela dying in prison in the 1980s.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (10 August 2020 - 03:16 AM)

Crisis of Corona.

@  TheMightyMol... : (09 August 2020 - 06:16 PM)

Which crisis crossover are we on now? I lost track.

@  Rycochet : (09 August 2020 - 05:18 PM)

Much of the past decade has been the part of the comic series where less than stellar authors have driven the series into the ground and the editors are getting ready to either do a big multi issue crossover, leading to a reboot.

@  Bass X0 : (09 August 2020 - 02:28 PM)

At this point I've just decided to consider 2020 "not canon."

@  TheMightyMol... : (09 August 2020 - 02:18 PM)

'member Pepperidge Farm?

@  Maximus Ambus : (09 August 2020 - 02:10 PM)

Before the 'member berries there was Pepperidge farm. Pepperidge farm remembers.

@  OverDrive73 : (09 August 2020 - 12:21 PM)

>>>Shameless Plug<<< FYI. posted the last part of Quest for Tires in Allspark Pictures

@  SG Roadbuster : (08 August 2020 - 01:53 PM)

@Nevermore yes.

@  Nevermore : (08 August 2020 - 09:11 AM)

Is $30 a good deal for Subscription Service Breakdown?

Photo
- - - - -

The Toys That Made Us: New Netflix Docu-series featuring Star Wars, GI Joe, He-Man, and Barbie

248 replies to this topic

#41 tec

tec

Shhhh or she will take your yubi's

• Supporter
  • 32739 posts
  • Faction::Lesbian Ninja

Posted 08 January 2018 - 10:54 AM

My rekindled love of Star Wars happened the day I bought Shadows of the Empire for the N64

Visit my store! Vintage toys (SW/ST/TFs Collectables)

www.vintagenerdvana.com

Wait. Wait, wait, wait. Are you telling me that tec has a job? I thought his sole reasons for existence are cheesecake and horrible grammar.-Shadowman024

#42 ultra magnus13

ultra magnus13

Razzaroo

• Citizen
  • 6862 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 08 January 2018 - 10:58 AM

Apparently there were no SW toys from 1986-94? I had never heard that.

its true. once the first power of the force ended that was it (wait. when were the ewoks and droids toys out? anyway...). i think it was pretty much considered a dead toy franchise until the orange card series kicked off and everyone lost their shit over them (me included). they hit at just the right time, when people who had grown up with the original toys were entering the work force and could buy what they wanted now

I was so dissappointed they didn't cover the Orange Card stuff, and acted like the relaunch began with Phantom Menace. It was an important moment in my childhood.

Haven't watched yet, but that sounds like a bummer. I was too young for vintage kenner figures, until orange card PotF all I had for Star Wars toys where some bendy figures, and some Galoob stuff (Micro Machines, and Action Fleet) there was a very real draught of Star Wars merch for ahwile, as wierd as that seems now.
I finally got rid of that big white box.

#43 ShinMusashi44

ShinMusashi44
  • Citizen
  • 489 posts

Posted 08 January 2018 - 11:19 AM

its true. once the first power of the force ended that was it (wait. when were the ewoks and droids toys out? anyway...). i think it was pretty much considered a dead toy franchise until the orange card series kicked off and everyone lost their shit over them (me included). they hit at just the right time, when people who had grown up with the original toys were entering the work force and could buy what they wanted now

I was so dissappointed they didn't cover the Orange Card stuff, and acted like the relaunch began with Phantom Menace. It was an important moment in my childhood.

Yeah that was a huge problem for me too. They mention the 90s POTF for one second and moved on to talking about episode 1. POTF was huge and got many people to collect star wars. The other big problem I had was the MOTU episode where they don't even mention matty collector as the one making the classic line, they just jump to Super 7 having the line.

#44 ChessPieceFace

ChessPieceFace

I have approximate knowledge of many things

• Retired Staff
  • 23159 posts

Posted 08 January 2018 - 12:48 PM

Well, they're obviously trying to fit 30+ years of interesting history into 45 minutes, so some details are going to be skimmed over. I noticed the Power of the Force omission too, but really, the interesting part of the story was that Star Wars had stopped being a juggernaut by 1985, and both Lucas and Kenner effectively abandoned it for a decade. When Lucas decided to resurrect it by announcing the prequels and Special Editions, Kenner realized they had thrown away billions in future profits over a measly $10k annual payment, and had to renegotiate the deal. Then as the new movies came out, a new generation bought Star Wars toys, and they never stopped again. That's the meat of the story, and the show told it. The He-Manly sculpts of the early PotF line could've been a fun diversion for 15 seconds, but I get that it might have taken away from the thrust of the story they were telling.

The Joe/SHIELD thing I didn't know about, but that's an even less significant detail. Most writers-for-hire will "recast" failed pitches for other properties. I mean, that's how every "Die Hard" sequel started. And the episode was about the toys and how they used the comic to sell the toys.

#45 G.B.Blackrock

G.B.Blackrock

Autobot Ally

• Supporter
  • 12945 posts
  • Faction::RIRFIB

Posted 08 January 2018 - 12:56 PM

I can totally accept that certain aspects of the story would get glossed over in the need to simplify the story for less obsessive fans and to meet the (arbitrary, given that it's Netflix) run time, but I'm not okay with changing history altogether. To suggest that the Star Wars toyline was revived for the prequel trilogy is indeed such a change I'm not okay with.

(I'd want to double-check before asserting this too loudly, but given where SotE fits in, I don't even think the prequels were conceived yet when PotF2 started!)

Edited by G.B.Blackrock, 08 January 2018 - 12:58 PM.

#46 Mouse_Pad

Mouse_Pad

Maker of Toy Box Comix

• Citizen
  • 9494 posts

Posted 08 January 2018 - 12:57 PM

I binged through the series this weekend.  I enjoyed it a lot -- even the Barbie episode, which is not a brand that I've ever cared about.  So the show did a good job of making the information lively and entertaining.  But I agree that it left out a lot of significant details.  The deregulation of childrens' advertising is a key element to the success of both He-Man and G.I. Joe, but it wasn't really mentioned.  The Joe episode at least talked about the commercial advertising the comic book, but didn't explain how the cartoon fit into that.

#47 Thylacine 2000

Thylacine 2000

Charismatic Megafauna

• Citizen
  • 17150 posts

Posted 08 January 2018 - 01:20 PM

It also would have been more honest if them to acknowledge the failure and effective - if not actual - cancellation of GIJoe.

#48 Telly

Telly

Kelp of discontent

• Retired Staff
  • 8755 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 08 January 2018 - 02:30 PM

(I'd want to double-check before asserting this too loudly, but given where SotE fits in, I don't even think the prequels were conceived yet when PotF2 started!)

shadows came out in '96, so they MAY have been kicking around an idea for the prequels. actually, looking at wiki, they started on the prequels as early as '94 (https://en.wikipedia...tion_and_design). maybe shadows was an attempt to start building hype for new movies

When I die I will surely go to Heaven for i spent my life in Hell

#49 G.B.Blackrock

G.B.Blackrock

Autobot Ally

• Supporter
  • 12945 posts

Posted 08 January 2018 - 02:35 PM

shadows came out in '96, so they MAY have been kicking around an idea for the prequels. actually, looking at wiki, they started on the prequels as early as '94 (https://en.wikipedia...tion_and_design). maybe shadows was an attempt to start building hype for new movies

By the time of Shadows, I'm willing to agree that the Prequels might have been kicking around as a concept. Indeed, it seems more or less certain. I'm less willing to make that concession for when PotF2 began a couple of years earlier. At best, your timeline suggests that the concepts started as PotF2 actually hit the shelves, but Kenner had to start work on PotF2 well before that....

And, IMHO, Shadows was absolutely an attempt to start building hype for new movies. But not just the Prequels. It was building hype for the Special Editions, which themselves were done to build funding for the prequels.

Edited by G.B.Blackrock, 08 January 2018 - 02:40 PM.

• tec likes this

#50 Telly

Telly

Kelp of discontent

• Retired Staff
  • 8755 posts

Posted 08 January 2018 - 03:19 PM

By the time of Shadows, I'm willing to agree that the Prequels might have been kicking around as a concept. Indeed, it seems more or less certain. I'm less willing to make that concession for when PotF2 began a couple of years earlier. At best, your timeline suggests that the concepts started as PotF2 actually hit the shelves, but Kenner had to start work on PotF2 well before that...

im not exactly sure what youre getting at (its not you, its me. im not as sharp as i used to be). potf2 came out before shadows, obviously. and everything ive read says it was '95 They were at toy fair '96 https://news.google....=4065,3144089).i KNOW they couldnt have come out any later than '95 because i was witha girl who made fun of me for buying them, and we broke up in '95 lol im sure kenner started work on the figures in probly '92 or '93. we all know it takes a couple years to go from design to store shelves

#51 G.B.Blackrock

G.B.Blackrock

Autobot Ally

• Supporter
  • 12945 posts

Posted 08 January 2018 - 04:11 PM

By the time of Shadows, I'm willing to agree that the Prequels might have been kicking around as a concept. Indeed, it seems more or less certain. I'm less willing to make that concession for when PotF2 began a couple of years earlier. At best, your timeline suggests that the concepts started as PotF2 actually hit the shelves, but Kenner had to start work on PotF2 well before that...

im not exactly sure what youre getting at (its not you, its me. im not as sharp as i used to be). potf2 came out before shadows, obviously. and everything ive read says it was '95 They were at toy fair '96 https://news.google....=4065,3144089).i KNOW they couldnt have come out any later than '95 because i was witha girl who made fun of me for buying them, and we broke up in '95 lol im sure kenner started work on the figures in probly '92 or '93. we all know it takes a couple years to go from design to store shelves

I think you're coming around to the point. Because Shadows, itself, was after PotF2, and Shadows was barely early enough to be when the prequels were being planned, I assert that PotF2's emergence had nothing whatsoever to do with the fact that the prequels would eventually exist.

#52 Telly

Telly

Kelp of discontent

• Retired Staff
  • 8755 posts

Posted 08 January 2018 - 04:46 PM

ah. gotcha now. yeah i dont think anyone knew the prequels were coming when they started

#53 ChessPieceFace

ChessPieceFace

I have approximate knowledge of many things

• Retired Staff
  • 23159 posts

Posted 08 January 2018 - 04:52 PM

ah. gotcha now. yeah i dont think anyone knew the prequels were coming when they started

From Wikipedia:

In the early 1990s, Star Wars saw a resurgence in popularity in the wake of Dark Horse's comic line and Timothy Zahn's trilogy of novels. Lucas saw there was still a large audience for his idea of a prequel trilogy and with the development of special effects generated with computer-generated imagery (CGI), Lucas considered returning to his saga and directing the film. In 1993, it was announced in Variety and other sources that he would be making the prequels.

https://en.wikipedia..._Phantom_Menace

So, all development for PotF action figures, from contract negotiation to design to release, would likely have been after the prequels were announced and in pre(-pre)-production. 

#54 Rhinox

Rhinox

Yeah, I'm kind of pissy.

• Supporter
  • 14360 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 09 January 2018 - 01:24 AM

when the deuce are the next episodes coming?  I want more!

"Why does history repeat itself? Because God doesn't have TiVo."

Wounds of honor are always self inflicted.

#55 Dake

Dake

Resident resident

• Supporter
  • 19753 posts

Posted 10 January 2018 - 11:56 AM

How's the treatment on Joe and Barbie? Neither of those is an 80s line. They existed in the 80s, but that's because Barbie is eternal and Joe was an also-ran in between He-Man and Transformers.

Wha? ARAH was an "also ran"? It came out the same year as He-Man, was a direct competitor, and predated Transformers by two years. Without ARAH one could argue GIJoe would just be another Mego.

Anyway, finally sat down and watched the first ep and it is pretty well done. But as others have mentioned, skipping over the POTF 2 introduction is a fairly glaring omission if the goal is to track the toyline's history.

As to chronology, the toy revival coincided with the '95 "final" release of the trilogy on VHS and Laserdisc. Here's an article talking about those specifically, and how they were the first step in the plan towards the special editions and prequels. It was definitely a big deal as it was the first line to truly capitalize on the burgeoning vintage toy craze and set the stage (for better and worse) for the industry as we see it today.

8ZSy6aw.jpg

#56 Powered Convoy

Powered Convoy

Skywarp Connoisseur

• Retired Staff
  • 67509 posts

Posted 13 January 2018 - 04:28 PM

I laughed watching these.
Especially funny to me was seeing something I entered in the He-Man "Create a character" contest that got turned into a toy (even though I received noting for it).
Funny to think that was a popular character for some.
Sure, it ticked me off at the time, but now...
heh.

Might I ask which character it was?

;)

ACItEK8.png

#57 Powered Convoy

Powered Convoy

Skywarp Connoisseur

• Retired Staff
  • 67509 posts

Posted 13 January 2018 - 04:29 PM

I laughed watching these.
Especially funny to me was seeing something I entered in the He-Man "Create a character" contest that got turned into a toy (even though I received noting for it).
Funny to think that was a popular character for some.
Sure, it ticked me off at the time, but now...
heh.

Might I ask which character it was? :)

ACItEK8.png

#58 ZacWilliam1

ZacWilliam1
  • Citizen
  • 17998 posts

Posted 13 January 2018 - 05:45 PM

Fearless Photog won the contest:

https://en.m.wikiped...Fearless_Photog

ZacWilliam, but didn't actually get a toy until 2011.
Ever wonder about the speed of Turbofoxes?
Or the proverbial ailerons of Titanium Moosebots?

*Visit the one and only Cybertronic Bestiary.
For a mechazoologic tour of the mechanimals of Cybertron.

#59 ZacWilliam1

ZacWilliam1
  • Citizen
  • 17998 posts

Posted 13 January 2018 - 08:42 PM

You're missremembering.

The eyeball guy was one of the five finalists. You can see them all here:

http://www.grayskull...on/Fearless.htm

He wasn't the final winner. Kids had to call in and vote and Photog won that vote.

-ZacWilliam, remembers getting the entry sheet for this at the local mall and drawing characters at the A&W Root Beer restaurant there but not if he ever entered the ones he drew.
Ever wonder about the speed of Turbofoxes?
Or the proverbial ailerons of Titanium Moosebots?

*Visit the one and only Cybertronic Bestiary.
For a mechazoologic tour of the mechanimals of Cybertron.

#60 Powered Convoy

Powered Convoy

Skywarp Connoisseur

• Retired Staff
  • 67509 posts

Posted 13 January 2018 - 10:18 PM

Ironically my brother drew an illustration of a bunch of MotU characters fighting when he was a kid in the 80's and actually drew Photog in the illustration. He must have had the information about the winner and Drew him in anticipation of the figure that wouldn't be made for over twenty years.

ACItEK8.png

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users