Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  wonko the sane? : (13 September 2019 - 01:54 PM)

Why do you feel a need to label yourself for doing something harmless?

@  Telly : (13 September 2019 - 11:10 AM)

thats more than i look at on reddit

@  Benbot : (13 September 2019 - 10:49 AM)

am I a basic bitch for only browsing the front page of Reddit?

@  Shrug : (12 September 2019 - 12:26 PM)

I managed to find about 2/3s of my goal Sega Genesis collection before the last price bump

@  Anonymous X : (12 September 2019 - 11:11 AM)

So relieved that I picked up most of my NTSC GameCube collection in 2010/11 before prices on the secondary market went bezerk...

@  unluckiness : (12 September 2019 - 12:54 AM)

I have fond memories of it since it was the last console Mario Kart that didn't have the ridiculous pre-race cart assembly

@  TM2-Megatron : (11 September 2019 - 10:26 PM)

Like many Gamecube games, underrated

@  unluckiness : (11 September 2019 - 09:24 AM)

Double Dash is great. Just watch out for blue shells

@  Bass X0 : (11 September 2019 - 07:43 AM)

I used a double dash on my mobile. The chat didn’t like it.

@  TheMightyMol... : (11 September 2019 - 04:17 AM)

The mobile version of the site chokes on certain characters, I think.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (11 September 2019 - 04:10 AM)

what's with that punctuation anyway

@  Nevermore : (11 September 2019 - 03:20 AM)

Now where did that come from, Bass X0?

@  Bass X0 : (11 September 2019 - 01:52 AM)

Politics and Religion — tools of foul play!

@  TM2-Megatron : (10 September 2019 - 11:10 PM)

If you owe, you're expected to actually pay it at the time you file, before they even process your return

@  TM2-Megatron : (10 September 2019 - 11:10 PM)

If you file electronically, I find you usually get your refund within a couple weeks

@  Nevermore : (10 September 2019 - 06:22 PM)

Well, lucky it took less than two months for me. For a little over 200 Euros.

@  wonko the sane? : (10 September 2019 - 06:11 PM)

Pretty much, yeah. Canada revenue will be all up your ass if you earn less than 200K and owe tax, but your refund is basically "duke nukem forever".

@  Nevermore : (10 September 2019 - 05:34 PM)

Whereas if you overpaid and they have to refund you, they will take their sweet time to let you know.

@  Nevermore : (10 September 2019 - 05:34 PM)

Like, here in Germany, if the tax authority responds to your tax report quickly, you can rest assured they want more money.

@  Nevermore : (10 September 2019 - 05:33 PM)

Do tax authorities in other countries base their time to respond to filed tax reports on whether they owe or are owed as well?

@  wonko the sane? : (10 September 2019 - 11:13 AM)

Check what the requirements are for your cad program, and try to beat them by about 20%, and understand that software requirements have been stable for a few years: not really keeping up with the advancements in hardware. Unless you're doing something SPECIFIC which requires ludicrous amounts of power, just give your self a cushion on hardware and don't bother going whole hog.

@  Benbot : (10 September 2019 - 10:16 AM)

What I'm currently using is an i5 2018 Surface Laptop. My current desktop is all but dead. I think in the end affordability will win out over specs. I need to use CAD programs, but I'm a student, not a professional.

@  wonko the sane? : (10 September 2019 - 10:06 AM)

Okay. Whats the specs on the I7 and what are you currently using?

@  Benbot : (10 September 2019 - 09:23 AM)

fun and games

@  wonko the sane? : (09 September 2019 - 04:43 PM)

Depends entirely on what you use the computer for.

@  Steevy Maximus : (09 September 2019 - 11:52 AM)

Probably not

@  Benbot : (09 September 2019 - 09:39 AM)

Do I need an i7 on my new computer?

@  Nevermore : (08 September 2019 - 12:08 PM)

https://imgur.com/fkyjpza

@  Nevermore : (08 September 2019 - 12:07 PM)

Today's convention haul:

@  wonko the sane? : (08 September 2019 - 08:54 AM)

But it was Huuunnngrrrryyyy. What was I supposed to do?

@  MEDdMI : (08 September 2019 - 08:23 AM)

But did you feed any small fuzzy creatures after midnight?

@  wonko the sane? : (08 September 2019 - 06:32 AM)

Shouldn't be. I literally just built it. Not even three weeks ago even.

@  TM2-Megatron : (07 September 2019 - 10:13 PM)

Sounds like your computer's on its last lags, Wonko

@  wonko the sane? : (07 September 2019 - 07:37 PM)

Dunno, crucial says it's fine, gonna need a second opinion.

@  Pennpenn : (07 September 2019 - 06:52 PM)

Good luck! (or break a leg if it's like theater luck...)

@  wonko the sane? : (07 September 2019 - 06:46 PM)

Alright. The damages now seem to include my primary SSD. Thankfully, the gaming drive (I have now lost all my games and mods entirely.) Let me wipe it and install there. Once the crucial utility is installed again, will verify the drive.

@  wonko the sane? : (07 September 2019 - 03:32 PM)

Three more crashes since I pulled the ram. Verifying the OS now... tonight might be a reinstalling kinda night.

@  wonko the sane? : (07 September 2019 - 11:46 AM)

And thankfully it wasn't totally dead, so it was working on occassion. If the problem is actually solved, I just need to wait and see if the program/system crashes are over.

@  wonko the sane? : (07 September 2019 - 11:45 AM)

Got it. I wound up running the memtest four more times, because of course it's always the last dimm. But I got the culprit. I lost 8 gig, but I'm still at three times the "recommended" amount.

@  Hg Dragon : (07 September 2019 - 11:09 AM)

DL and run MemTest86. It'll help weed out issues. Run 1 stick at a time. Then run a stick that passed in each slot. Will help you find out if it's the RAM or the slot/motherboard

@  Patch : (07 September 2019 - 10:45 AM)

How many RAM sticks do you have total?

@  wonko the sane? : (07 September 2019 - 09:57 AM)

Great, two weeks of random BSODs, and I manage to finally work out some ram has gone bad. Just need to work out which one(s) and then I can go from there.

@  wonko the sane? : (07 September 2019 - 06:25 AM)

*just stares*

@  unluckiness : (07 September 2019 - 04:27 AM)

My french is rusty but I'd guess Italienne-americain pain du sauce

@  Nevermore : (07 September 2019 - 02:58 AM)

What do they want "pizza" to be called? Crpes superior?

@  unluckiness : (07 September 2019 - 01:11 AM)

Are they still suing Italian restaurants for having food that's insufficiently French?

@  PlutoniumBoss : (06 September 2019 - 10:31 PM)

Not even Quebec likes Quebec?

@  TM2-Megatron : (06 September 2019 - 08:51 PM)

Quebec's a special case; they just have an insatiable lust for hate

@  Ashley : (06 September 2019 - 07:48 PM)

Those weird language laws are basically anti-everyone. Who does it help to stop certain toys from being sold there?

@  TM2-Megatron : (06 September 2019 - 04:56 PM)

Canada is one of those rare countries that's paradoxically both anti-business (except for the chosen few) and anti-consumer

Photo
- - - - -

The Toys That Made Us: New Netflix Docu-series featuring Star Wars, GI Joe, He-Man, and Barbie

235 replies to this topic

#21 tec

tec

My love to KyoAni

• Supporter
  • 30858 posts
  • Faction::Lesbian Ninja

Posted 31 December 2017 - 03:37 AM

Character designer of G.I Joe

I like Scarlet the best because she sexy :D

Visit my store! Vintage toys (SW/ST/TFs Collectables)

www.vintagenerdvana.com

Wait. Wait, wait, wait. Are you telling me that tec has a job? I thought his sole reasons for existence are cheesecake and horrible grammar.-Shadowman024

#22 Copper Bezel

Copper Bezel

Off model.

• Supporter
  • 49947 posts
  • Faction::Equestrian

Posted 31 December 2017 - 05:57 AM

Season 2 will feature: Transformers, LEGO, Star Trek, and Hello Kitty.

Netflix had this thing where exclusive series dropped a season at at time instead of episode by episode, but that was apparently too much, so they shifted to doing them by half-seasons. Voltron did the same thing. So they're not calling the 2018 episodes a second "season", all eight are technically "Season 1" and there may or may not be a "Season 2" in the future. I guess the season is a good production block but not an ideal release / viewing block. 

Bit 80's-centric but so far not bad. 

if additional seasons come, I'd like to see them explore later lines like Power Rangers.

How's the treatment on Joe and Barbie? Neither of those is an 80s line. They existed in the 80s, but that's because Barbie is eternal and Joe was an also-ran in between He-Man and Transformers. I'd be disappointed if the treatment of either of those lines was conspicuously 80s-centric (though I can understand that there's a limited pool of people around to interview about the history of these things.)

Edited by Copper Bezel, 31 December 2017 - 05:57 AM.

Shouldn't gravity be doing something?

Of course there's a figure of Rodimus as some kind of animal girl. Why would I be surprised by this?

#23 Powered Convoy

Powered Convoy

Skywarp Connoisseur

• Retired Staff
  • 65605 posts
  • Faction::RIRFIB

Posted 31 December 2017 - 08:13 AM

They focus on their original inception. G.I. Joe has time focused on the 80's due to ARAH. Barbie doesn't spend too much time on the 80's.

ACItEK8.png

#24 Copper Bezel

Copper Bezel

Off model.

• Supporter
  • 49947 posts
  • Faction::Equestrian

Posted 31 December 2017 - 08:25 AM

Gotcha, very cool. = ] 

Shouldn't gravity be doing something?

Of course there's a figure of Rodimus as some kind of animal girl. Why would I be surprised by this?

#25 tec

tec

My love to KyoAni

• Supporter
  • 30858 posts

Posted 31 December 2017 - 09:59 AM

Spoiler

:D

www.vintagenerdvana.com

Wait. Wait, wait, wait. Are you telling me that tec has a job? I thought his sole reasons for existence are cheesecake and horrible grammar.-Shadowman024

#26 Fear or Courage

Fear or Courage

Do I compel you?

• Citizen
  • 2135 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 02 January 2018 - 02:28 PM

These were actually really, really good.

Literally my only criticisms were ignoring everything GI Joe did after ARAH ended, when the other ones covered it to the present day (and He-Man even talked about it being mostly dead and failing to stay relevant, so they were certainly willing to go there), and abbreviating the 90's relaunch of Star Wars to make it seem like it began with the Phantom Menace, when Power of the Force 2-->Shadows of the Empire-->Special Edition stuff was literally my childhood, so that's just a personal thing.

Now I really want to see the Transformers one, though I also worry they're going to shortchange everything after 1990.

#27 Paladin

Paladin

Have Zord, Will Travel

• Citizen
  • 12158 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 02 January 2018 - 02:52 PM

Now I really want to see the Transformers one, though I also worry they're going to shortchange everything after 1990.

So just like Hasbro then.

Stuff for sale; every little bit helps. :) https://www.allspark.com/forums/topic/143212-for-sale-3p-mp-potp-super-sentai-stuff TWITTER: Paladin4221

#28 tec

tec

My love to KyoAni

• Supporter
  • 30858 posts

Posted 02 January 2018 - 03:38 PM

*crosses fingers for a 15 minute segment on Power Core combiners*

www.vintagenerdvana.com

#29 ChessPieceFace

ChessPieceFace

I have approximate knowledge of many things

• Retired Staff
  • 23031 posts

Posted 03 January 2018 - 01:21 AM

Watched Star Wars and Barbie. I knew way more about Star Wars than Barbie of course, so the Barbie ep held more surprises, but even with the SW episode it was interesting to learn more about the behind-the-scenes business dealings and design history. I don't like the narrator or the intro, and I noticed they did skip over the Ewoks line and both the 1985 and roided-out 1995 Power of the Force lines, but still it's a pretty fun and informative series so far.

Star Trek in the next batch seems like the odd-man-out inclusion. It's the only one of the 8 that was never a phenomenon as a toyline alone. Sure, there have been decades of Trek toys, but they've rarely been good and they've never been popular. It'll be interesting to see how they make them, well, interesting.

#30 Fear or Courage

Fear or Courage

Do I compel you?

• Citizen
  • 2135 posts

Posted 03 January 2018 - 09:03 AM

Star Trek in the next batch seems like the odd-man-out inclusion. It's the only one of the 8 that was never a phenomenon as a toyline alone. Sure, there have been decades of Trek toys, but they've rarely been good and they've never been popular. It'll be interesting to see how they make them, well, interesting.

I initially thought that, too, but it's a bit of a misconception because Star Trek mostly skipped the 80s, toy-wise, due to the Motion Picture's toyline flopping hard, and no toymakers wanting to go near the brand for awhile. The 90's Playmates line of figures that began with Next Gen was huuuuuge at the time, had figures that were individually-numbered, was pitched to collectors, and was generally considered a cut above the rest in terms of poseability, accessories and sculpt. I think there's a neat story to tell, there. Plus, if you want to go back, the Mego stuff in the 70's was huge, too.

#31 The Predaking

The Predaking

Finally! A new Predaking is here!

• Staff
  • 38970 posts
  • Faction::Predacon

Posted 03 January 2018 - 10:00 AM

My favorite part about the MOTU episode was when they got to the 200X series. Even they were like, "WTF?".

Restoring an Old Arcade Machine!

http://www.allspark....ade-game/page-2

#32 Steevy Maximus

Steevy Maximus

Snarky Siegie

• Citizen
  • 4544 posts
  • Faction::Unicron's Spawn

Posted 03 January 2018 - 11:13 AM

I initially thought that, too, but it's a bit of a misconception because Star Trek mostly skipped the 80s, toy-wise, due to the Motion Picture's toyline flopping hard, and no toymakers wanting to go near the brand for awhile. The 90's Playmates line of figures that began with Next Gen was huuuuuge at the time, had figures that were individually-numbered, was pitched to collectors, and was generally considered a cut above the rest in terms of poseability, accessories and sculpt. I think there's a neat story to tell, there. Plus, if you want to go back, the Mego stuff in the 70's was huge, too.

My fear is that they'll focus solely on the Mego side and ignore the massive presence Star Trek had on the industry in the early to mid 90s.

#33 Thylacine 2000

Thylacine 2000

Charismatic Megafauna

• Citizen
  • 16811 posts

Posted 07 January 2018 - 12:38 PM

Pleasantly surprised; I was expecting "I Love the 80s" or, worse, that Toy Hunter hoax show from a few years ago. Instead these were mostly smart and well-crafted. I just wish they'd gotten into more details of market shifts: WHY these once-dominant toys fell apart. Apparently there were no SW toys from 1986-94? I had never heard that.

#34 SwiftEagle

SwiftEagle
  • Citizen
  • 6172 posts

Posted 07 January 2018 - 01:59 PM

I guess they kind of skipped over Micro Machines too, at that.
ASM
Tomorrow's nostalgia today!

#35 Telly

Telly

Killing forums since 1999!

• Retired Staff
  • 8044 posts

Posted 07 January 2018 - 09:47 PM

Apparently there were no SW toys from 1986-94? I had never heard that.

its true. once the first power of the force ended that was it (wait. when were the ewoks and droids toys out? anyway...). i think it was pretty much considered a dead toy franchise until the orange card series kicked off and everyone lost their shit over them (me included). they hit at just the right time, when people who had grown up with the original toys were entering the work force and could buy what they wanted now

When I die I will surely go to Heaven for i spent my life in Hell

#36 D Immortalis

D Immortalis

I've gotta make the world know my name...

• Citizen
  • 3747 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 08 January 2018 - 12:10 AM

I like most of this...my big complaint was the HUGE omission of the G.I.Joe episode COMPLETELY skipping the SHIELD/HYDRA stuff.

makes me wonder what the other episodes are leaving out.

_+-=-+DAEMON IMMORTALIS+-=-+_

Day One is over, The Future's approaching
The embers are glowing, we're spreading the ash

#37 ChessPieceFace

ChessPieceFace

I have approximate knowledge of many things

• Retired Staff
  • 23031 posts

Posted 08 January 2018 - 01:46 AM

I like most of this...my big complaint was the HUGE omission of the G.I.Joe episode COMPLETELY skipping the SHIELD/HYDRA stuff.

The what now? A Google search failed to explain.

#38 Broadside

Broadside

SHARK PET DOG! SHARK PET DOG!

• Staff
  • 10987 posts
  • Faction::Cannonball's Pirate Crew

Posted 08 January 2018 - 06:33 AM

Larry Hama's GI Joe: ARAH pitch was based on a rejected concept he had come up with for a "Nick Fury and SHIELD vs Hydra" series. Cobra is basically just a renamed Hydra.

3nAcIwa.png

#39 Fear or Courage

Fear or Courage

Do I compel you?

• Citizen
  • 2135 posts

Posted 08 January 2018 - 10:01 AM

Apparently there were no SW toys from 1986-94? I had never heard that.

its true. once the first power of the force ended that was it (wait. when were the ewoks and droids toys out? anyway...). i think it was pretty much considered a dead toy franchise until the orange card series kicked off and everyone lost their shit over them (me included). they hit at just the right time, when people who had grown up with the original toys were entering the work force and could buy what they wanted now

I was so dissappointed they didn't cover the Orange Card stuff, and acted like the relaunch began with Phantom Menace. It was an important moment in my childhood.

Edited by Fear or Courage, 08 January 2018 - 10:01 AM.

#40 ZacWilliam1

ZacWilliam1
  • Citizen
  • 17201 posts
  • Faction::RIRFIB

Posted 08 January 2018 - 10:04 AM

I've only watched the MotU episode so far, and while they addressed the decline of the original and the weaker performance of the two relaunches honestly I felt it kinda needed more detail. The reasons they go into for the original line's decline especially seem only semi relevant and don't mention a bunch of things that it is usually attributed to.

-ZacWilliam, and yeah the subsequent lines are barely mentioned at all, but it was still a pretty interesting watch with some fun stories.

Edited by ZacWilliam1, 08 January 2018 - 10:07 AM.

Ever wonder about the speed of Turbofoxes?
Or the proverbial ailerons of Titanium Moosebots?

*Visit the one and only Cybertronic Bestiary.
For a mechazoologic tour of the mechanimals of Cybertron.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users