Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  Nevermore : (21 September 2018 - 03:23 AM)

Wiigii! Titans Return Grotusque for only 60 Euros (actually 70 but I somehow had an eBay gift card for reasons that escape me) with free shipping from within my own country!

@  Whirl Maximus : (21 September 2018 - 03:02 AM)

That was the plan for Predators too with the Super Predators.

@  Waspinator : (21 September 2018 - 01:46 AM)

So, apparently in the new Predator movie, the Predators don't hunt us for honor or the challenge or anything like that, but because they're stealing human DNA to modify themselves. Congrats Hollywood, on making a monster far less cool and scary.

@  Pennpenn : (20 September 2018 - 08:46 AM)

I only started playing it recently so I don't know what it was like before. Actually surprised they haven't finished the story yet. Then again, unless they introduce another world it's pretty much just Maleficent and whatever the Foretellers are playing at left.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (20 September 2018 - 08:30 AM)

Geeze.. I reloaded up Kingdom Hearts X for the first time in a long time. That game has massivily inflated from when I played it when it first launced in the US.

@  Pennpenn : (19 September 2018 - 09:07 AM)

It's an annoying thing to have happen in any game. I'm hoping they actually finish releasing all the story mode parts before 3 comes out.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (19 September 2018 - 06:24 AM)

Ahh. Hadn't played that in a long time.. Since before the PVP I think.

@  Pennpenn : (19 September 2018 - 04:33 AM)

Kingdom Hearts Union Cross. Specifically the PVP fights.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (19 September 2018 - 04:31 AM)

What game PennPenn

@  Pennpenn : (19 September 2018 - 03:13 AM)

Man, I love it when you've got limited attempts at something in a game, said game crashes at the end of the thing, so you lose the attempt but don't get any credit.

@  wonko the sane? : (18 September 2018 - 08:44 PM)

I know. I'm back to the classic purple for the first time since the comic theme was introduced.

@  Fenix Twilight : (18 September 2018 - 08:32 PM)

Alright thanks, gonna be weird without the speech bubble boxes but I'll manage.

@  wonko the sane? : (18 September 2018 - 07:59 PM)

Nope, ongoing problem for a bunch of us. The mods know, so... just hunker down and wait. In the mean time: changing themes will sort it out for a bit. Only the comic theme is affected.

@  Fenix Twilight : (18 September 2018 - 05:36 PM)

Is something going on? I'm missing the buttons to go to the newest post and there's no banner for the forum list, it just says "logo" in the corner.

@  TheMightyMol... : (18 September 2018 - 06:03 AM)

Leader-1!

@  Whirl Maximus : (18 September 2018 - 02:25 AM)

"huh?" 'chuckle' in every reaction shot. That's all I remember of Armada.

@  Paladin : (16 September 2018 - 07:36 PM)

if youre looking for sympathy its in the dictionary between shit & syphilis.

@  TheMightyMol... : (15 September 2018 - 03:10 PM)

Uuuhhhhhh.......

@  Rycochet : (15 September 2018 - 11:56 AM)

Due to it's concentrated lousiness, even small doses of Energon will age you, yes.

@  Lazy Garou : (15 September 2018 - 10:32 AM)

unicron trilogy video was great, but made me feel a hundred years old.

@  wonko the sane? : (12 September 2018 - 07:32 AM)

Awesome. Good job man.

@  Lazy Garou : (11 September 2018 - 09:30 PM)

cleaning up, mostly.but the little plastic piece where the power cable hooked up was broken. That I managed to put back together.

@  Patch : (11 September 2018 - 04:48 PM)

So he also has White Castle-like qualities?

@  TheMightyMol... : (11 September 2018 - 02:23 PM)

Just keep him away from the plumbing, he's really hard on the pipes.

@  RichardT1977 : (11 September 2018 - 01:22 PM)

Overlord has some castle-like qualities to him

@  wonko the sane? : (11 September 2018 - 12:15 PM)

Fix it, like, found a working power adaptor, or fix it like: there was saudering involved.

@  Lazy Garou : (11 September 2018 - 11:58 AM)

that feeling when you fix something and works like a dream. we now have a working snes in my house and I have tested 10 games on it and they all work.

@  Arazyr : (11 September 2018 - 10:44 AM)

...Now I want a Transformer that turns into a castle.

@  wonko the sane? : (11 September 2018 - 09:37 AM)

You should be careful man, lots of allsparkers life in castle law states. It's a good way to get shot you know.

@  ▲ndrusi : (11 September 2018 - 09:35 AM)

Which house? Mine? Dammit I thought I locked my door!

@  GrungeWerX : (11 September 2018 - 01:20 AM)

GrungeWerX in tha HOUSE!!! WOOT!!

@  TM2-Megatron : (10 September 2018 - 11:54 PM)

There's been consistently good sc-fi flicks; most just fly under the radar as lower-budget or indie pictures

@  Steevy Maximus : (10 September 2018 - 09:28 PM)

If you can forget about that garbage Ghost in the Shell feature...

@  Steevy Maximus : (10 September 2018 - 09:27 PM)

Upgrade is a GREAT dark sci fi throwback film. Kind of feels like the genre has been nailing some good stuff after a LONG time of drek

@  Sabrblade : (10 September 2018 - 06:34 PM)

Hey, Steve is a Vehicon!

@  abates : (10 September 2018 - 04:44 PM)

I thought it was spelled "Stege".

@  Arazyr : (10 September 2018 - 02:10 PM)

So, "I before E, except after Siege"? :D

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (10 September 2018 - 01:59 PM)

Memorandum to all: the word "siege" is spelled with the "i" before the "e".

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (08 September 2018 - 12:55 PM)

Happy birthday to Star Trek and Star Trek: The Animated Series!

@  MEDdMI : (08 September 2018 - 07:55 AM)

*smacks TMM upside the head*

@  TheMightyMol... : (08 September 2018 - 02:51 AM)

& Knuckles.

@  Pennpenn : (07 September 2018 - 11:01 PM)

Re: Coded?

@  Waspinator : (07 September 2018 - 09:14 PM)

Final Fantasy: The Movie: The Game: Pocket Edition HD Boogaloo

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (07 September 2018 - 01:03 AM)

Funny thing is, I think the pocket edition graphics give the game more personality.

@  MEDdMI : (06 September 2018 - 11:10 PM)

Final Finception

@  Waspinator : (06 September 2018 - 10:29 PM)

They've made a PS4 version of Final Fantasy 15 Pocket Edition. For those keeping score, it's the PS4 version of a smartphone version of a PS4 game.

@  wonko the sane? : (05 September 2018 - 09:20 PM)

Ah HA! turns out the trick to installing the rift software was to run it as an admin. Stupid windows 10.

@  wonko the sane? : (05 September 2018 - 04:58 PM)

Awright! I got the display port working! Which means I can now connect my occulus rift!

@  MEDdMI : (04 September 2018 - 10:38 PM)

*just stares*

@  Noideaforaname : (04 September 2018 - 09:36 PM)

Hello there

Photo
- - - - -

The Toys That Made Us: New Netflix Docu-series featuring Star Wars, GI Joe, He-Man, and Barbie

226 replies to this topic

#201 HellCat

HellCat

Opinionated idiot

• Citizen
  • 27141 posts

Posted 26 June 2018 - 11:06 PM

I recall the 09 movie toys we had at work not selling and later seeing tons of them in discount stores.

#202 Fero McPigletron

Fero McPigletron

Not a Maverick! Maybe.

• Citizen
  • 7530 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 27 June 2018 - 09:47 AM

TTTMU could have mentioned those, aw.

I'm not a Star trek watcher so I didn't know that the Enterprise couldn't land on planets. That was cool.

FWXOT0z.gifphoto_zpsa2a20628.gif
                                                               TOY DRAMA THEATER!

1 minute of (minimal) lights, (steady) camera and...  ACTION FIGURES! (mostly Transformers)
                                         - Episode 030 Devastator knock offs hang out

Episodes here

#203 G.B.Blackrock

G.B.Blackrock

Autobot Ally

• Supporter
  • 11937 posts
  • Faction::RIRFIB

Posted 27 June 2018 - 11:18 AM

Yeah, the 09 Playmates line was pretty heavily maligned (rightfully so).

It flopped so bad, they never even released the second wave, which was required to complete people's bridge and transporter playsets!

#204 Spark

Spark
  • Citizen
  • 37521 posts

Posted 27 June 2018 - 01:28 PM

Yeah, the 09 Playmates line was pretty heavily maligned (rightfully so).

It flopped so bad, they never even released the second wave, which was required to complete people's bridge and transporter playsets!

Hah, I remember that.

Fall of Cybertron will blow your mind. That is all.

#205 Dake

Dake

Resident resident

• Supporter
  • 18362 posts

Posted 27 June 2018 - 02:24 PM

Maybe because the actual movie was Kurtzman&Orci toxic turd-burger of a flick? Hardly something that really appealed to kids (too nostalgic) and outright offended a lot of adults (too much defecating on a beloved childhood memory).

Not a good way to sell toys.

Eh, the toys were just bad. I remember in the lead up people were pretty excited to get a 3 3/4 line of ST figures... then they showed up. Had they been good figures, the sales would have been there, and I think there were even plan for TOS stuff. As it was though, nope.

8ZSy6aw.jpg

#206 G.B.Blackrock

G.B.Blackrock

Autobot Ally

• Supporter
  • 11937 posts

Posted 27 June 2018 - 03:26 PM

Maybe because the actual movie was Kurtzman&Orci toxic turd-burger of a flick? Hardly something that really appealed to kids (too nostalgic) and outright offended a lot of adults (too much defecating on a beloved childhood memory).

Not a good way to sell toys.

Eh, the toys were just bad. I remember in the lead up people were pretty excited to get a 3 3/4 line of ST figures... then they showed up. Had they been good figures, the sales would have been there, and I think there were even plan for TOS stuff. As it was though, nope.

Honestly, I'm not so sure. I didn't think the figures themselves were so bad, and that Transporter set (while incomplete, which was its own problem) emulated the effect pretty well, IMHO. What would you have suggested the 3 3/4 figures do differently?

#207 Dake

Dake

Resident resident

• Supporter
  • 18362 posts

Posted 27 June 2018 - 05:06 PM

Personally, I was just hoping for something on par with Joe/Star Wars/Marvel of the time. Instead, they were more like Mattel's Avatar line - a bit regressive compared to Hasbro's best (the same buck for all the male figures was definitely a strike). Also, I think they were true 3.75, so they were both aesthetically different and smaller than everything on the shelf.

8ZSy6aw.jpg

#208 G.B.Blackrock

G.B.Blackrock

Autobot Ally

• Supporter
  • 11937 posts

Posted 27 June 2018 - 05:20 PM

Personally, I was just hoping for something on par with Joe/Star Wars/Marvel of the time. Instead, they were more like Mattel's Avatar line - a bit regressive compared to Hasbro's best (the same buck for all the male figures was definitely a strike). Also, I think they were true 3.75, so they were both aesthetically different and smaller than everything on the shelf.

Actually, don't most Marvel figures use the same male bucks? In any event, I wouldn't expect any different for a line where everyone uses the same Starfleet uniforms.

And, they all had elbows and knees, which is more than can be said a for lot of Star Wars figures these days (although, going by your already stated "of the time" caveat, I don't think the Black Series had started yet, so perhaps Star Wars figures back then still had them).

I'm just not sure what makes these guys (who, bluntly, look too much the "same" to start with, so that's a strike against them before anything else) "regressive" in a way that could have been fixed. 

Edited by G.B.Blackrock, 27 June 2018 - 05:20 PM.

#209 Dake

Dake

Resident resident

• Supporter
  • 18362 posts

Posted 27 June 2018 - 07:49 PM

The Star Wars line of the time was the Legacy collection and Saga Legends which was made up of highly and super-articulated figures. Marvel did use common bucks, but they weren't rectangular blobs, and they still had a few different ones to choose from. Kirk, Spock, Scotty and McCoy shouldn't all be the exact same. They also had soft facial sculpts and pretty basic legs. 

I freely admit my expectations were high though. Nobody did that scale like Hasbro, but I had hopes of having Kirk and Han chilling in the Cantina and it just didn't work out. :D

8ZSy6aw.jpg

#210 Spark

Spark
  • Citizen
  • 37521 posts

Posted 28 June 2018 - 03:31 PM

Was it before or after that point where they used pretty much the same construction on Terminator Salvation figures and they all just sat on shelves forever?  They really did look pretty lackluster on the shelf against everything else.

Fall of Cybertron will blow your mind. That is all.

#211 G.B.Blackrock

G.B.Blackrock

Autobot Ally

• Supporter
  • 11937 posts

Posted 28 June 2018 - 03:39 PM

I do think one of the issues (speaking just about toy construction, and without regard to whether or not things were helped by the popularity... or lack thereof... of the movies) is that we're looking at an era where, even if the axe hadn't YET fallen, 3 3/4" scale was becoming less viable for toy companies. Perhaps if Playmates had chosen to do their Trek line at a scale closer to the old ST:TNG figures (arguably one of the few times a Trek line was a commercial success), they'd have done better.

#212 AgentOrange

AgentOrange
  • Citizen
  • 986 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 28 June 2018 - 03:52 PM

I do think one of the issues (speaking just about toy construction, and without regard to whether or not things were helped by the popularity... or lack thereof... of the movies) is that we're looking at an era where, even if the axe hadn't YET fallen, 3 3/4" scale was becoming less viable for toy companies. Perhaps if Playmates had chosen to do their Trek line at a scale closer to the old ST:TNG figures (arguably one of the few times a Trek line was a commercial success), they'd have done better.

No. Wrong. 2009 was near the 1:18th zenith. MU started strong, Joe was still alive at retail, DC was trying to get on board with Infinite Heroes, SW was producing top quality figures with The Legacy Collection. By contrast, Marvel Legends was dead, DCUC was on life support, NECA hadn't begun its strong collector oriented push yet. Oil and plastic were expensive, everyone got on board 1:18. Even the A-Team movie.

They also tried a 1:12 line for the movie that bombed just as hard because the toys were shit.

Edited by AgentOrange, 28 June 2018 - 03:53 PM.

LOOKDOWN.png

#213 G.B.Blackrock

G.B.Blackrock

Autobot Ally

• Supporter
  • 11937 posts

Posted 28 June 2018 - 04:23 PM

No. Wrong. 2009 was near the 1:18th zenith. MU started strong, Joe was still alive at retail, DC was trying to get on board with Infinite Heroes, SW was producing top quality figures with The Legacy Collection. By contrast, Marvel Legends was dead, DCUC was on life support, NECA hadn't begun its strong collector oriented push yet. Oil and plastic were expensive, everyone got on board 1:18. Even the A-Team movie.

They also tried a 1:12 line for the movie that bombed just as hard because the toys were shit.

Woah, dude! Did I accidentally kick your puppy or something? If so, I apologize.

I was just trying to think of something Playmates might have done that would have made the figures more successful. As it is, I'm still not even convinced that the 3 3/4" figures were bad in any way that wasn't dictated by being... well... a Star Trek figure line.

#214 Dake

Dake

Resident resident

• Supporter
  • 18362 posts

Posted 28 June 2018 - 08:22 PM

I guess the question at hand is why are you trying so hard to find another reason? :D

As AO says, 1:18 was going quite well. Rise of Cobra hadn't come out yet and flooded the pegs with overpriced figures dressed in gray and MU and Star Wars were crushing it. 

Playmates' Trek and Terminator figures would have been great for the late nineties/early 2000's (though even then, their sculpting wouldn't have stood up next to Hasbro's Star Wars output), but definitely not when seen hanging on the pegs next to the big three from Hasbro in 2009.

Ultimately though, just trust your eyes. Believe me - I wanted to buy them so bad. I reeealy wanted to get to these guys in 3.75 because I have about a thousand other 3.75 figures. Yet even once the line flopped (remember the movie was hailed as the savior of Star Trek - it did great - there should have been plenty of people looking), I couldn't bring myself to spend the money on them at clearance. They just didn't look very good compared to what collectors had come to expect at that time.

Edited by Dake, 29 June 2018 - 08:31 AM.

8ZSy6aw.jpg

#215 G.B.Blackrock

G.B.Blackrock

Autobot Ally

• Supporter
  • 11937 posts

Posted 29 June 2018 - 09:50 AM

I guess the question at hand is why are you trying so hard to find another reason? :D

As AO says, 1:18 was going quite well. Rise of Cobra hadn't come out yet and flooded the pegs with overpriced figures dressed in gray and MU and Star Wars were crushing it. 

Playmates' Trek and Terminator figures would have been great for the late nineties/early 2000's (though even then, their sculpting wouldn't have stood up next to Hasbro's Star Wars output), but definitely not when seen hanging on the pegs next to the big three from Hasbro in 2009.

Ultimately though, just trust your eyes. Believe me - I wanted to buy them so bad. I reeealy wanted to get to these guys in 3.75 because I have about a thousand other 3.75 figures. Yet even once the line flopped (remember the movie was hailed as the savior of Star Trek - it did great - there should have been plenty of people looking), I couldn't bring myself to spend the money on them at clearance. They just didn't look very good compared to what collectors had come to expect at that time.

Oh, I agree. But I disagree with the idea that the figures were especially defective. They're simply Star Trek figures. Unless you're REALLY into the franchise, that makes for a fairly boring figure. It was always going to be that way.

Add in that these aren't even our versions of Kirk, Spock, et al, and there was even less reason to get excited about these things.

#216 Paladin

Paladin

Have Zord, Will Travel

• Citizen
  • 10344 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 19 July 2018 - 04:51 PM

And the next four episodes have been confirmed! 

*Power Rangers

*TMNT

*My Little Pony

*Wrestling. 

https://www.bleeding...my-little-pony/

SUPERHERO TIME!!!! Ruining Jokes For Everyone! TWITTER: Paladin4221

#217 D Buster Prime

D Buster Prime

Timeout. Do I convert?

• Retired Staff
  • 25378 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 19 July 2018 - 05:15 PM

Where is Gundam?!

VOTE FOR SIDEWAYS:

He's on your side...except when he isn't!

Z7ACRD0.jpg

Spoiler

#218 ZacWilliam1

ZacWilliam1
  • Citizen
  • 16389 posts

Posted 20 July 2018 - 02:41 AM

Where is Gundam?!

In space usually, right?

-ZacWilliam, that is a very logical list to do next.
Ever wonder about the speed of Turbofoxes?
Or the proverbial ailerons of Titanium Moosebots?

*Visit the one and only Cybertronic Bestiary.
For a mechazoologic tour of the mechanimals of Cybertron.

#219 HellCat

HellCat

Opinionated idiot

• Citizen
  • 27141 posts

Posted 20 July 2018 - 04:45 AM

Where is Gundam?!

Not in American toy boxes.

#220 Exatron

Exatron

Kaiser Dragon

• Citizen
  • 1492 posts
  • Faction::Decepticon

Posted 20 July 2018 - 12:31 PM

There was something in the Transformers episode that kept bugging me, but I never got around to asking about. There were at least a couple references in that episode to the "original 26" Transformers. I know one of them was Budiansky referring to the bios he was asked to create. The thing that's been bugging me is where did the number 26 come from?

The '84 toyline had 28 characters - 18 Autobots, 10 Decepticons. All 18 of the Autobots were sold individually, but Soundwave and the five cassettes were sold in three two-packs. That makes for 25 items sold at retail.

I'm guessing that changes to the product lineup may be at play here. It's been suspected that Grapple was originally going to be the 12th figure in the '84 Autobot case instead of double packing Mirage, right? And Shockwave was there at the beginning, even if his toy wasn't. So maybe it was 26 characters at the start, with some later removed and others added? Anyone know just who those original 26 would have been?

Then again, could just be that Budiansky misspoke. He did have and show his original notes though, so seems like the sort of thing that would likely be accurate.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users