Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  wonko the sane? : (10 August 2020 - 02:03 PM)

Then there are people who outright manufacture memories for whatever reason.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (10 August 2020 - 01:13 PM)

The human brain is so flaky that it is extremely unlikely that a given person does NOT have any false memories.

@  OverDrive73 : (10 August 2020 - 01:05 PM)

Perhaps it's simple word association the movie Sinbad and then our minds apply the same memories to a man named Sinbad.

@  OverDrive73 : (10 August 2020 - 01:04 PM)

The Mandela Effect is the same as people remembering Sinbad in a movie where he played a genie... Of which he never did.

@  MidnightFox : (10 August 2020 - 09:36 AM)

People that believe Mandela Effect things would rather come up with any number of reasons as to why their version doesn't have any actual evidence(like alternate timelines collapsing into our own) than just admit they remembered something wrong

@  MidnightFox : (10 August 2020 - 09:35 AM)

Sort of. It's more that when presented with a verifiable fact, they double down because it's what they believe instead of changing their minds

@  ▲ndrusi : (10 August 2020 - 09:25 AM)

"I could have sworn that ______."

@  ▲ndrusi : (10 August 2020 - 09:25 AM)

I'm not arguing with either of those two statements, but they're not really connected. Mandela Effect is, to oversimplify, people being widely mistaken about what they think *is* a verifiable fact. Nothing to do with opinions.

@  MidnightFox : (10 August 2020 - 08:52 AM)

Pretty sure the Mandela Effect in general is an American thing. Opinion > Verifiable Facts is sadly a pretty American thing

@  Nevermore : (10 August 2020 - 04:27 AM)

Ask these people how Apartheid ended according to their recollection, and I'm sure they'll draw a blank.

@  Nevermore : (10 August 2020 - 04:25 AM)

You got two black anti-Apartheid activists who were imprisoned by the oppressive regime. One died, the other was Nelson Mandela. It's not a far stretch that Americans who don't know many details about the history of other countries would mix up the two.

@  Nevermore : (10 August 2020 - 04:24 AM)

My own theory is that these people are simply mixing up Nelson Mandela and Steve Biko, another South African anti-Apartheid activist, who did indeed die in police custody in 1977. There was an Oscar-nominated movie about his life starring Denzel Washington that came out in 1987, the same time frame these people claim remembering Mandela dying.

@  Nevermore : (10 August 2020 - 04:17 AM)

I met a few people from South Africa, and they either never heard of the phenomenon at all, or only know of it from the internet. Apparently, it's completely unknown in South Africa, and it might even be entirely limited to the United States.

@  Nevermore : (10 August 2020 - 04:16 AM)

So does anyone remember the "Mandela Effect"? I'm talking specifically about the original case where many people vividly remember Nelson Mandela dying in prison in the 1980s.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (10 August 2020 - 03:16 AM)

Crisis of Corona.

@  TheMightyMol... : (09 August 2020 - 06:16 PM)

Which crisis crossover are we on now? I lost track.

@  Rycochet : (09 August 2020 - 05:18 PM)

Much of the past decade has been the part of the comic series where less than stellar authors have driven the series into the ground and the editors are getting ready to either do a big multi issue crossover, leading to a reboot.

@  Bass X0 : (09 August 2020 - 02:28 PM)

At this point I've just decided to consider 2020 "not canon."

@  TheMightyMol... : (09 August 2020 - 02:18 PM)

'member Pepperidge Farm?

@  Maximus Ambus : (09 August 2020 - 02:10 PM)

Before the 'member berries there was Pepperidge farm. Pepperidge farm remembers.

@  OverDrive73 : (09 August 2020 - 12:21 PM)

>>>Shameless Plug<<< FYI. posted the last part of Quest for Tires in Allspark Pictures

@  SG Roadbuster : (08 August 2020 - 01:53 PM)

@Nevermore yes.

@  Nevermore : (08 August 2020 - 09:11 AM)

Is $30 a good deal for Subscription Service Breakdown?

@  Trpodeca : (08 August 2020 - 06:24 AM)

Oh dear God no. Twitter has changed it's default layout to the terrible new one. Why waste so much space on the left?

@  Steevy Maximus : (07 August 2020 - 08:28 PM)

@Bass X0, yeah, the Joe comic got REALLY solid in the upper 20s to the Cobra Civil War. It's interesting to see how well the Joe comic has aged relative to the cartoon. Where as I feel the opposite is true of Transformers

@  -LittleAutob... : (07 August 2020 - 03:58 PM)

Its so fun watching past TF Conventions.

@  Bass X0 : (07 August 2020 - 02:20 PM)

I've been reading classic 80s G.I. Joe lately. Its still decent even though I don't have any nostalgia towards it.

@  Sabrblade : (07 August 2020 - 08:50 AM)

Think of it as Adam West Batman instead. ;)

@  wonko the sane? : (07 August 2020 - 07:49 AM)

That sounds more like the flash, or maybe booster gold than batman.

@  Sabrblade : (07 August 2020 - 12:27 AM)

They would get bored fighting each other and instead decide to take an epic cross-country road trip together.

@  RichardT1977 : (06 August 2020 - 08:57 PM)

What would happen if Batman were to fight Squirrel Girl?

@  PlutoniumBoss : (04 August 2020 - 09:03 PM)

Unless you count the Mask vs Lobo special, but that's less a duel and more a duet.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (04 August 2020 - 08:52 PM)

My favorite crossover fight was Thor vs Shazam/Captain Marvel. Early in the fight, Thor discovers that Billy Batson needs lightning to transform, and being a god of lightning he simply denies him that.

@  Sabrblade : (04 August 2020 - 08:46 PM)

Let's see a fight between Death Battle and Super Power Beat Down

@  TheMightyMol... : (04 August 2020 - 06:15 PM)

Which Lobo later claimed was because he was paid to take a dive. Yes, really.

@  TheMightyMol... : (04 August 2020 - 06:15 PM)

And then there's the times it's been decided by a fan vote, which is how we get things like Lobo (who can go toe-to-toe with Superman at full strength) losing to Wolverine.

@  Nevermore : (04 August 2020 - 05:49 PM)

And then there are the "but my favorite characater will totes win because I say so" people.

@  Nevermore : (04 August 2020 - 05:49 PM)

I mean, there are some people who really approach this from a somewhat reasonable standpoint, coming up with a plausible scenario and a setting that creates a fair environment that doesn't favor one character.

@  Nevermore : (04 August 2020 - 05:46 PM)

My favorite stupid "why would they even fight each other" question recently was about three versions of Optimus Prime (G1, Bayverse and Aligned).

@  Nevermore : (04 August 2020 - 05:45 PM)

Batman obviously can beat everyone. Even Galactus. He's Batman. He's so smart, he'll just throw a Batarang and hit the weak spot at Galactus's forehead, knocking him out instantaneously.

@  wonko the sane? : (04 August 2020 - 11:37 AM)

It's almost like all drama is just manufactured pissing contests to keep us all entertained and distracted. :p

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (04 August 2020 - 10:16 AM)

Or they could go White Ranger vs Scorpion route and have both win. ;P

@  ▲ndrusi : (04 August 2020 - 09:35 AM)

Besides, we all know the answer is nearly always "they fight to a standstill and then team up against a common enemy."

@  ▲ndrusi : (04 August 2020 - 09:29 AM)

The best way to prove this is to give an example where the match is really lopsided in favor of one character but in popularity they're either evenly matched or the weaker one is more popular.

@  ▲ndrusi : (04 August 2020 - 09:27 AM)

The "who would win in a fight" discussions are really just people trying to make "which one's better" into something you can theoretically measure objectively, usually in a very specific way they think they've predetermined their favorite will win.

@  Otaku : (04 August 2020 - 02:01 AM)

@Nevermore So... you're saying you didn't like DC Versus Marvel/Marvel Versus DC?

@  Steevy Maximus : (03 August 2020 - 06:59 PM)

So, what happened to Hasbro's Zoids relaunch? An English dub, some stuff in southeast Asia, and now a game coming in October? That it?

@  wonko the sane? : (03 August 2020 - 10:46 AM)

Tidal wave, cause shooting water gets you nowhere.

@  Darth Gonzo : (03 August 2020 - 09:57 AM)

Who would win Tidal Wave or Broadside?

@  -LittleAutob... : (03 August 2020 - 08:17 AM)

Btw Happy birthday to those people in the box to the right \o/

Photo
- - - - -

A Mey Hem Thanksgiving: Maybe Your Goose is Cooked

rpg Mey Hem play by post

• Please log in to reply
212 replies to this topic

#41 Zamuel

Zamuel

Dream Valley Survivor

• Supporter
  • 18318 posts
  • Faction::Equestrian

Posted 24 December 2017 - 12:58 PM

"Thou art the Omega Knight, are you not?" the Queen inquired as she kept examining.

Edited by Zamuel, 24 December 2017 - 01:02 PM.

Spoiler

#42 The Doctor Who

The Doctor Who

Properly Cross

• Supporter
  • 18720 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 24 December 2017 - 01:07 PM

The PoeT had just found a long stemmed pipe and was about to light it when the noise from outside caught his attention.  Stowing the pipe, he stepped outside, narrowly sidestepping Destron and came to see the Queen examining Kage and just managed to step aside in time to avoid the King lecturing EB on relationships and beyond the beasts and their transport.

Hastily, he threw up his hood and peered at the strange spectacle, words utterly failing him.

Spoiler

Edited by The Doctor Who, 24 December 2017 - 01:08 PM.

nzo8WYb.png

#43 GodSentinelOmega

GodSentinelOmega

Holy Electric Boogaloo Batman! I think

• Staff
  • 14569 posts

Posted 24 December 2017 - 01:35 PM

Kage slowly nodded.

“I am.”

fslookup.jpg

#44 Zamuel

Zamuel

Dream Valley Survivor

• Supporter
  • 18318 posts

Posted 24 December 2017 - 05:00 PM

"Any particular local order you hail from...or are you self trained?" she asked.
Spoiler

#45 GodSentinelOmega

GodSentinelOmega

• Staff
  • 14569 posts

Posted 24 December 2017 - 05:54 PM

“I am self-trained, your Majesty. I have trained under many martial arts and blademasters, as well as stealth, espionage, gadgetry and other skills.

The Omega Knight is not a Knight as you would know it. That is merely the name i chose for my armoured form. After the events that brought me to the Old Publishing District, i swore to defend the city and its innocent from the cruel and corrupt. A Knight seemed an appropriate form to take for a warrior of justice.

My name is Kage Snake.”

While Kage would not normally reveal so much to a practical stranger. He did know Destron. Attempting to dissemble in front of her mother the Queen was unlikely to succeed. The rulers of nations did not rule, nor keep their rule, without being sharp-witted and shrewd.

Edited by GodSentinelOmega, 24 December 2017 - 07:38 PM.

fslookup.jpg

#46 Zamuel

Zamuel

Dream Valley Survivor

• Supporter
  • 18318 posts

Posted 24 December 2017 - 06:03 PM

"Hmm."

She pointed at Howard's cottage, "Is this thy domicile, Sir Snake?"
Spoiler

#47 The Doctor Who

The Doctor Who

Properly Cross

• Supporter
  • 18720 posts

Posted 24 December 2017 - 06:07 PM

Here the PoeT spoke up, having overcome his initial surprise.

He approached the pair and said,

"'tis the home of Howard, the Doctor, my friend,

And, I suppose my own, at journey's end.

The Doctor, himself, is yet inside,

Having recently been at a patient's side."

nzo8WYb.png

#48 MEDdMI

MEDdMI

Nonstop Baka

• Supporter
  • 14843 posts

Posted 24 December 2017 - 06:15 PM

Fuzzy pettins time was interrupted by a hand slapping EB's body by the shoulder direct into the ground. Or at least, that's what it felt like. He rubbed his stinging shoulder and stared in surprise at the King, forgetting formalities.
"Does everyone know? ...and it's not so much 'women' as 'woman' trouble. And any attempt at 'boldness' will only get me shot. Again." He pointed to the nick in his ear where Bea's bullet had grazed it.

#49 Zamuel

Zamuel

Dream Valley Survivor

• Supporter
  • 18318 posts

Posted 24 December 2017 - 06:43 PM

"Sounds like the lass is a keeper, ha ha!" The King said with a hearty laugh. "What thou need is boldness AND agility. I hear you do not eat meat and THAT is thy problem." He flexed his muscles, proudly showing off. "How aboot I help you get started? I recommend narwalrus steaks for breakfast."

Meanwhile, the Queen stopped circling Kage and looked to The PoeT. "Not to disparage thy doctor but I am most relieved that a knight does not reside here, tis not fitting. Nor for a princess. Where wouldst thou put a nursery in a place like this?"
Spoiler

#50 GodSentinelOmega

GodSentinelOmega

• Staff
  • 14569 posts

Posted 24 December 2017 - 07:23 PM

Nodding in agreement with the PoeTs words, Kage said.

“My home lies back within the Old Publishing District. Howard has simply invited us here for a visit.”

This time though, he did hold back. A foreboding itch between his shoulderblades had Kage leave any eloboration on What his home was like, very much unsaid. The itch and its accompanying nerves, had started the moment the Quenn had commented on the cottage being ill-suited to a Knight, or a Princess. Or a nursery!

Was the Queen considering an attempt to... pair him off with her daughter?

Surely she knew that Destron was not in search of a handsome prince? Nor a handsome man for that matter.

Edited by GodSentinelOmega, 24 December 2017 - 07:37 PM.

fslookup.jpg

#51 Zamuel

Zamuel

Dream Valley Survivor

• Supporter
  • 18318 posts

Posted 24 December 2017 - 08:43 PM

"Indeed, Kage can not live out here because he needs to pay my electrical bill," Oracle announced. The Queen looked around and in not seeing who was speaking, she looked back to Kage and The PoeT, "Please explain."
Spoiler

#52 Sunbeam

Sunbeam
  • Citizen
  • 2942 posts

Posted 25 December 2017 - 01:56 AM

Meanwhile, the Queen stopped circling Kage and looked to The PoeT. "Not to disparage thy doctor but I am most relieved that a knight does not reside here, tis not fitting. Nor for a princess. Where wouldst thou put a nursery in a place like this?"

"Fi mi children ave dut an ah fiyah pit, an everyting dey could need!" Howard says, emerging from the house with a kettle in one arm and Fir nestled cozily in the other. He let's them down into the fire pit and hangs the open kettle over them, then beckons Mona over to fill the kettle with rainwater. She keeps an eye on the queen the whole time, and the first few drops are snowflakes.

Spoiler

#53 Zamuel

Zamuel

Dream Valley Survivor

• Supporter
  • 18318 posts

Posted 25 December 2017 - 10:46 PM

The Queen was about to make a comment to Howard, but Friday quickly stated, "The voice you heard, Your Highness, was of Oracle. She is similar to myself but can not walk around as she is bound to Kage's home and can only project her words. There are workers in this land that produce 'electricity'--a sort of lightning magic. She requires this to exist so Kage's many deeds allow him to pay for the electricity for devices in his home and for Oracle's continued existance." The Queen made a brief, but humble, bow of her head. "My apologies, forgive my prying. I did not know you had a lady to support with your noble deeds. Would you like for me to see if I could work an unbinding spell? Should mine healer collaborate with your's?" gestruing towards Howard when saying 'your's'.
Spoiler

#54 The Doctor Who

The Doctor Who

Properly Cross

• Supporter
  • 18720 posts

Posted 25 December 2017 - 11:39 PM

The PoeT did not immediately speak, but a faint resentful flicker came to his eyes as the Queen referred to Howard as Kage's healer.

Though he did not raise his voice, the PoeT spoke with firmness and locked eyes with the Queen.  He said,

"It may surprise thee, O Queen, that while we have traveled at his side,

Kage does not possess us, nor would we, such authority, abide.

Friends and colleagues are we and helpers to come with speed,

But no ruler stands above us, nor such dominance, we need."

Here he spread his arms wide and gestured to their company of friends and continued,

"We all here stand as equals, as 'knights' of valued skill,

In war we have forged our friendships, and are bound in the blood we spill.

In peace we have worked together, to build and shape our land,

And in life we will stand together, with open, willing hand."

Spoiler

nzo8WYb.png

#55 MEDdMI

MEDdMI

Nonstop Baka

• Supporter
  • 14843 posts

Posted 26 December 2017 - 07:24 AM

EB looked at the King's mucles in awe, but shook his head, being used to teasing about his diet.
"I'm vegan. I don't eat meat or dairy for many reasons. And even if I do, I get sick. You know a lot about me, didn't you know that I'm part rabbit, too?"

#56 Zamuel

Zamuel

Dream Valley Survivor

• Supporter
  • 18318 posts

Posted 26 December 2017 - 01:26 PM

The Queen responded with, "Of course you're heroes of valued skill. We wouldn't have traveled this far if thou weren't. That still doesn't answer mine quest..." Seeming annoyed, she swiftly redirected her attention to Howard. "As the doctor, can Oracle be aided by magicks or medicine? Or shall she always be in the state she is in?"

Meanwhile, the King clasped a hand on EB's shoulder again. "But I'm not trying to feed thy rabbit part of you, I'm trying to feed thy MAN part of you! Just picture it, a roast vultuck over the open fire..." Rel'Aeh then got out of the chariot and announced, "Don't worry EB. I prepared a few things for you." "Bah, tis only side courses." Rel'Aeh calmly stated, "If you continue to badger him aboot his diet, I will not allow you to have any of the blubber bread." Incredulous, the King sputtered, "T-that's treason!" "Thou art well within thy right to banish me...though where thou shall find a medic, advisor, or cook with mine experience." Rel'Aeh stated in a manner-of-fact manner. The King crossed his arms and stepped off to the side...presumably pouting.
Spoiler

#57 Destron D-69

Destron D-69

Aligned Continuity Beauty

• Supporter
  • 63286 posts
  • Faction::Lesbian Ninja

Posted 26 December 2017 - 06:25 PM

"by the goddesses,"  Dee mumbled under her breath as she exited the house after careful consideration of everything she had just heard.

#58 Sunbeam

Sunbeam
  • Citizen
  • 2942 posts

Posted 26 December 2017 - 11:37 PM

The Queen responded with, "Of course you're heroes of valued skill. We wouldn't have traveled this far if thou weren't. That still doesn't answer mine quest..." Seeming annoyed, she swiftly redirected her attention to Howard. "As the doctor, can Oracle be aided by magicks or medicine? Or shall she always be in the state she is in?"

"Oracle will continue to be inna de state shi has always been inna fi de forseeable future." Howard says tartly. "Yuh may nah ave realized it, but inna addition to being here, shim ah also nuf oda places. ah nah ah problem to be fixed."

"Don't worry EB. I prepared a few things for you." "Bah, tis only side courses."

Rel'aeh was one of the few newcomers that Howard didn't want reprimand at this point, but after all this the slight on his cooking irritated him far more than it should have. "Similarly, fi mi cooking requires nuh substitutions! Unlike som of de current residents of san lorenzo, EB was pon de guest list."

Spoiler

Edited by Sunbeam, 27 December 2017 - 02:50 AM.

#59 Destron D-69

Destron D-69

Aligned Continuity Beauty

• Supporter
  • 63286 posts
  • Faction::Lesbian Ninja

Posted 27 December 2017 - 05:44 AM

"I was just about to make tea Mother, perhaps you and Father would like to have some while you explain what you are doing here."  Dee said, having already heard exactly why her Mother was here... perhaps giving Kage her old sword hadn't been in his best interest after all -downpayment on a dowery it certainly wasn't.

"A thousand pardons Howard, I might have warned you if this was at all known to me..."  She said, as she passed her friend... avoiding a sympathetic touch of his shoulder -lest her mother's focus of Grandchildren suddenly shift to the other man. It was this fear that also stopped her from rushing to save EB from her father's attempts to convince him to join his next Mooselion hunt or greased Narwalrus wrestle.       

Dee did make it over to the Beayaks, these two had long served as the leads of the royal chariot.

"So good to see you both well Robert, Douglas... are you enjoying yourselves here in the grassy green south?"  A quick glance at their muzzles confirmed her short time away had not cured them of their sweet tooths... as they were stained with the same colour as hers were...

"Was Mother Cross with you when you sniffed out those bushes?" Dee whispered a smirk spreading across her face. Robert snorted and Douglas turned his head, too embarrassed to say.  She gave each of them a good tight squeeze about their great thick necks and scritched their chins... before giving them one more berry each for being such good boys.       

Edited by Destron D-69, 27 December 2017 - 05:57 AM.

#60 MEDdMI

MEDdMI

Nonstop Baka

• Supporter
  • 14843 posts

Posted 27 December 2017 - 08:21 AM

EB couldn't help but chuckle a little at the King and Rel'Aeh's banter.
"Thanks." He smiled at Rel'Aeh and Howard, rubbing his now extra tender shoulder.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users