Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  PlutoniumBoss : (19 May 2019 - 01:38 AM)

Yeah, polling these days is garbage.

@  Sean Whitmore : (18 May 2019 - 11:53 PM)

Well, he was an honest man. He wasn’t gonna lie to a 5-year-old.

@  Paladin : (18 May 2019 - 08:34 PM)

Grandfather once said to me, "I'm going upstairs and hug your grandma."

@  Sabrblade : (18 May 2019 - 07:08 PM)

Mama always said that you can tell a lot 'bout a person from 'is shoes...

@  TheMightyMol... : (18 May 2019 - 03:54 PM)

Life is like a box of chocolates. Stay out of the sun or melt into a pile of gross slop.

@  wonko the sane? : (18 May 2019 - 10:26 AM)

Greasy, disappointing and still managing to be over priced?

@  Lancer : (18 May 2019 - 10:22 AM)

... Yes, it is!

@  Noideaforaname : (18 May 2019 - 09:48 AM)

Life's a fillet of fish!

@  unluckiness : (18 May 2019 - 08:53 AM)

ow the edge

@  Paladin : (18 May 2019 - 07:03 AM)

a reminder that life is an unrepentant hellscape where everyone & everything you know will eventually betray you.

@  Pennpenn : (18 May 2019 - 06:45 AM)

You know, this election is what has finally broken me of any confidence at any point of pre-polling data. I mean, it's always been sketchy, but this is just... aaaargh!

@  Pennpenn : (18 May 2019 - 06:08 AM)

I was going to make an Auspol election thread in P&R, but the outcome so far has made me feel physically ill.

@  Gamma V : (18 May 2019 - 03:28 AM)

Haven't been here in a long time.

@  Pennpenn : (18 May 2019 - 03:16 AM)

I have heard that, it's rather disappointing. Ah, maybe they'll just leech each others stores of "awful racist vote" and not go anywhere.

@  Trpodeca : (17 May 2019 - 11:09 PM)

I voted. Boy there are a worrying amount of parties which sound like fascists.

@  Pennpenn : (17 May 2019 - 06:55 PM)

For those in Australia, it is a federal election today. Go Vote! It's Mandatory!

@  TheMightyMol... : (17 May 2019 - 04:19 PM)

Humor? I 'ardly know 'or!

@  wonko the sane? : (17 May 2019 - 03:51 PM)

I was intemately familiar with humour... but she just wanted to be friends...

@  Maximus Ambus : (17 May 2019 - 12:10 PM)

BZT Time out! Time out! Time ooooooouuuuuut!!!

@  unluckiness : (17 May 2019 - 08:23 AM)

Yes. Are you familiar with humor?

@  Sabrblade : (17 May 2019 - 07:50 AM)

You are familiar with The Room, yes?

@  unluckiness : (17 May 2019 - 01:14 AM)

nah, tuxedos are formal wear

@  Sabrblade : (16 May 2019 - 10:38 PM)

*...while dressed in a tuxedo*

@  unluckiness : (16 May 2019 - 09:22 PM)

*casually tosses kryptonite island at Lex*

@  Sean Whitmore : (16 May 2019 - 06:21 PM)

O hai Lex.

@  TheMightyMol... : (16 May 2019 - 04:31 PM)

You're just a little chicken! Cheep cheepcheep cheeEeeeEEEeeeep!

@  Nevermore : (16 May 2019 - 04:20 PM)

YOU ARE TEARING ME APART

@  TheMightyMol... : (16 May 2019 - 04:14 PM)

So I guess I shouldn't try to tie in The Room.

@  TM2-Megatron : (16 May 2019 - 02:29 PM)

I was just talking cheesy in a dated filmmaking sense, not mind-bogglingly god-awful.

@  Sabrblade : (16 May 2019 - 11:49 AM)

Well, certainly The Last Airbender is worse at being a Superman movie.

@  TheMightyMol... : (16 May 2019 - 11:31 AM)

Is that better or worse than The Last Airbender? I mean, they're both terrible, but....

@  RichardT1977 : (16 May 2019 - 09:28 AM)

And the worst Superman movie is "Dragonball: Evolution".

@  Paladin : (16 May 2019 - 08:01 AM)

the best Superman movie is "The Iron Giant." You cannot convince me otherwise.

@  RichardT1977 : (15 May 2019 - 10:16 PM)

At least even in the first Christopher Reeve movie, when he caught Lois that first time, the background kept scrolling down for a second to indicate it wasn't a sudden stop.

@  TM2-Megatron : (15 May 2019 - 10:10 PM)

I guess you had to have been there. I did like the beginning a lot, though; the stuff on Krypton and in Smallville. The movie just got so cheesy once it got to Metropolis, though, it's kind of painful

@  Sean Whitmore : (15 May 2019 - 06:25 PM)

The performances, the cinematography, the significance of a comic book adaptation being treated like a real movie. Silly stuff like that. :)

@  TM2-Megatron : (15 May 2019 - 05:17 PM)

Yeah, I've never really understood what people loved so much about it. Other than the score, of course, which was one of Williams' finest

@  Paladin : (15 May 2019 - 04:06 PM)

and it's not even the dumbest part in that movie.

@  TM2-Megatron : (15 May 2019 - 03:16 PM)

Flying Lois around was fine; it was all the Can You Read My Mind nonsense that ruined the scene

@  Sabrblade : (15 May 2019 - 12:08 PM)

The recent Shazam! movie had Billy bumbling his way through learning his powers. But all or most of it was genuinely funny.

@  RichardT1977 : (15 May 2019 - 11:27 AM)

But yeah, in retrospect it makes me cringe the way he caught and carried the helicopter in his public debut in the first film...

@  RichardT1977 : (15 May 2019 - 11:25 AM)

(she wasn't in III long enough to be flown around)

@  RichardT1977 : (15 May 2019 - 11:25 AM)

You mean the Donner movie, the Donner/Lester movie, and The Quest for Peace (for which I don't know the director)?

@  unluckiness : (15 May 2019 - 11:09 AM)

At least he didn't try to fly lois around like in the Donner movies.

@  Cybersnark : (15 May 2019 - 10:45 AM)

My favourite is still from the first episode of the 90s Superman animated series, where Clark initially tries to catch the falling plane by its tail... which snaps off in his hands because physics doesn't work that way.

@  MEDdMI : (15 May 2019 - 09:46 AM)

I think it'd be boring if a hero could use their powers perfectly right off the bat and not have any unforseen consequences (though I also don't keep up with a lot of superhero stuff, so not familiar with those scenes)

@  Dekafox : (15 May 2019 - 09:23 AM)

Overseas, Kamen Rider Gaim did something similar after Kouta(the main character) got his transformation belt. He tried to do a whole bunch of mundane things with it cause he thought it'd make him better at them and they all go horribly wrong.

@  Paladin : (15 May 2019 - 08:59 AM)

superspeed causes enormous friction on fabric. the 1990 Flash had the same issue and it was mentioned in "The Incredibles" too...

@  fourteenwings : (15 May 2019 - 08:45 AM)

Arrow didn't have one (though Oliver got hurt a lot in flashbacks), Supergirl already had her powers, LoT gang also already had their powers mostly and in Black Lightning discovering your powers seems to be more associated with emotional trauma than anything comedic

@  fourteenwings : (15 May 2019 - 08:43 AM)

In the Arrowverse shows... I guess The Flash accidentally ran so fast he shredded his clothes? (totally not a chance to showcase Grant Gustin's "I'm not Glee kid anymore!" physique)

Photo

Dark Phoenix - X-Men movie discussion

158 replies to this topic

#141 Cradok

Cradok
  • Citizen
  • 619 posts

Posted 08 March 2019 - 06:32 AM

I hated DoFP, literally the only bit I liked was seeing Scott alive at the end, and even that was ruined when Oakley didn't release the version of the glasses he wears.

Like, seriously, I enjoyed both X3 and Origins more than I did DoFP.

#142 Rust

Rust

all that was real is left behind

• Supporter
  • 45451 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 09 March 2019 - 01:47 PM

Yeah, none of the MCU would exist without the X-Men series proving that superhero movies like this could be done.

Things like Batman & Robin being not too old when the first X-Men film came out.

I know everyone loves saying that buy if you look at the MCU the film where it really got its structure and tone from 2002's Spider-Man, and not the X-Men at all.

Minor quibble, but technically Iron Man got its structure and tone from Superman. Spider-Man was a pretty joyless movie (The Raimi era reminds me forcibly of Spidey's "I AM THE SPIDER" era), while Iron Man was more like Superman, willing to poke fun at itself while being respectful to its source material and having cast a lead that pretty much was the comic book character brought into reality.

The ability to craft and tell Superhero stories in the visual medium has existed for as long as comics ultimately have been around (Seriously, go watch the 1940s serial Batman & Robin. It actually does some stuff that I'd wish modern super hero stories would do - like the fact Bruce's hair doesn't come out of the cowl perfect), it's just that the aughts saw our generation become the ones with the disposable income to make these films profitable. Iron Man succeeded for the same reason Transformers did - it came out at exactly the right time. It's just Iron Man, unlike Transformers, embraced its camp and heritage and built upon it. Meanwhile Michael Bay couldn't get enough of statutory rape law and racial stereotyping extra-terrestrial robots.

I do agree with your X-film list. Though I would say I put Logan on the same pedestal I put The Dark Knight on in that you could remove all the super hero trappings and be left with a fantastic film by itself. But First Class was the film that restored my faith in the X-Men franchise after X2 bored me to tears and X3 was an affront to everything decent and good in this world. It took a friend literally forcing the DVD into my hands and walking away so I couldn't hand it back for me to actually watch it.

Then Days of Future Past happened. And I tolerated it. I still was vehemently opposed to X3 but Days seemed to remove X3. Dark Phoenix seems intent on bringing X3 BACK. I was told elsewhere that it was so "they could do the story justice", but that's just it. The story's shit. There's no justice to be had with it. The entire concept was a bad idea. If the X franchise can't learn from ten years of MCU to embrace its wilder elements, then what is even the point?

As for the costuming - the problem there is they keep teasing the comic accurate outfits (Even the utterly daft looking ones at the end of Apocalypse). I've never quite forgiven the franchise for giving us a brilliant looking fusion of X-Film and 60s comic Magneto and then dropping it for stupid body armor in DoFP.

Don't fight it, it's coming for you, running at ya / It's only this moment, don't care what comes after
Your fever dream, can't you see it getting closer / Just surrender 'cause you feel the feeling taking over
It's fire, it's freedom, it's flooding open / It's a preacher in the pulpit and you'll find devotion
There's something breaking at the brick of every wall, it's holding All that you know
So tell me do you wanna go?

#143 AgentOrange

AgentOrange
  • Citizen
  • 1158 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 09 March 2019 - 02:51 PM

Minor quibble, but technically Iron Man got its structure and tone from Superman. Spider-Man was a pretty joyless movie (The Raimi era reminds me forcibly of Spidey's "I AM THE SPIDER" era), while Iron Man was more like Superman, willing to poke fun at itself while being respectful to its source material and having cast a lead that pretty much was the comic book character brought into reality.

I think you're confused by hindsight and everything after becoming subsequently more Reeves-like, because he really didn't embody a 70s Superman and likewise RDJ's personality really wasn't Tony's before 2008.
LOOKDOWN.png

#144 Powered Convoy

Powered Convoy

Skywarp Connoisseur

• Retired Staff
  • 64618 posts
  • Faction::RIRFIB

Posted 30 March 2019 - 05:02 PM

I found this reaction surprising. Maybe it will be good.
https://deadline.com...1202585214/amp/

ACItEK8.png

#145 Telly

Telly

Killing forums since 1999!

• Retired Staff
  • 7809 posts

Posted 30 March 2019 - 06:39 PM

hard to judge a 2 hour movie on a ten minute segment from the first act. it could very easily go downhill from there

When I die I will surely go to Heaven for i spent my life in Hell

#146 Superomegaprime

Superomegaprime
  • Citizen
  • 3071 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 02 April 2019 - 07:13 PM

I still got a bad feeling for this movie, its likely going to try to hard and fall flat on its face!

36428543702_ff3b1fc457_m.jpg

#147 Destron D-69

Destron D-69

May Mayhem

• Supporter
  • 61153 posts
  • Faction::Lesbian Ninja

Posted 03 April 2019 - 11:15 PM

in the end it's more than obviously the last X-men movie we're being given in this continuity ... because DeadPool 3 will surely be all about how its the mcu now - so I'll give Dark Pheonix the watch it's predecessors have earned for it.  But I'm not expecting a lot of "Gosh I hope they keep me on after the merger" level steller performances or stuff of that nature. 

they wont top Logan for a quality end of the franchise so I'm not looking for it here 

"Does the Boss look different to you?" "She Looks Hot." "So that's a no then?"

#148 Rust

Rust

• Supporter
  • 45451 posts

Posted 04 April 2019 - 04:50 AM

See Logan is a phenomenal stopping point for the franchise, I think.

Don't fight it, it's coming for you, running at ya / It's only this moment, don't care what comes after
Your fever dream, can't you see it getting closer / Just surrender 'cause you feel the feeling taking over
It's fire, it's freedom, it's flooding open / It's a preacher in the pulpit and you'll find devotion
There's something breaking at the brick of every wall, it's holding All that you know

#149 Powered Convoy

Powered Convoy

Skywarp Connoisseur

• Retired Staff
  • 64618 posts

Posted 17 April 2019 - 11:35 AM

ACItEK8.png

#150 Telly

Telly

• Retired Staff
  • 7809 posts

Posted 17 April 2019 - 01:19 PM

still not excited

#151 Superomegaprime

Superomegaprime
  • Citizen
  • 3071 posts

Posted 17 April 2019 - 07:37 PM

Doesn't look bad, I guess, but I'm not really exicted for this, if anything, I kind of forget its coming, I not been that impressed with the current cast of X-men, they all been rather forgettable and there no real story arc across the movies, with the original films, say what you will but there was a story arc and a focus on Logan and Rouge as our point of view characters but from First class Onwards, I felt there was a lack of focus, I never liked First class, it was just a poorly written story, Days of Future past was better, but the following film, what a mess and how stupid could they be, about the only stand out scene was the Quicksilver one saving everyone's lives minus one person. I got little hope for this movie and I think Disney know its likely to fail, how bad, no idea, but its the end of Fox's X-men that for certain and we aren't going to see the X-men in the MCU for a while if reports are to believed.

One thing I suspect that will likely reappear in the MCU verison of X-men, the mannor house that they use as the School, it just seems right and the best character in all of the movies as it has no lines and puts up with a lot.

36428543702_ff3b1fc457_m.jpg

#152 Ya Kid K MK VII

Ya Kid K MK VII

Mic check onetwo onetwo

• Supporter
  • 4063 posts

Posted 19 April 2019 - 04:05 PM

Who is the bleach blonde gross chick supposed to be?

#153 Caldwin

Caldwin

Waaaaaaah!

• Supporter
  • 24044 posts
  • Faction::Equestrian

Posted 19 April 2019 - 04:29 PM

I get the feeling she's supposed to be the personification of the Phoenix Force talking to Jean.
PSN = Caldwin
Wii U = Caldwin
Switch = SW-7457-8143-2029
3DS = 5370-0412-9068

Before you do anything you can't undo...
National Suicide Prevention Hotline: 1-800-273-8255

#154 ZacWilliam1

ZacWilliam1
  • Citizen
  • 16904 posts

Posted 19 April 2019 - 08:57 PM

No one seems to know for sure. I've seen guesses of "A version of Llandra" and "A gender swapped Mastermind."

-ZacWilliam, I feel like this movie isn't sticking close enough to the comics to need either of those rolls, so who knows.
Ever wonder about the speed of Turbofoxes?
Or the proverbial ailerons of Titanium Moosebots?

*Visit the one and only Cybertronic Bestiary.
For a mechazoologic tour of the mechanimals of Cybertron.

#155 Powered Convoy

Powered Convoy

Skywarp Connoisseur

• Retired Staff
  • 64618 posts

Posted 19 April 2019 - 09:12 PM

People have also said Mrs. Sinister.

ACItEK8.png

#156 Telly

Telly

• Retired Staff
  • 7809 posts

Posted 20 April 2019 - 12:06 AM

mrs sinister just doesnt work as well as mr sinister

#157 GodSentinelOmega

GodSentinelOmega

The New Year brings New Powers!

• Staff
  • 12738 posts

Posted 20 April 2019 - 09:23 AM

Of all the choices, i really hope she isn't Mrs Sinister.

Edited by GodSentinelOmega, 20 April 2019 - 09:24 AM.

fslookup.jpg

#158 SHIELD Agent 47

SHIELD Agent 47

Skull Leader

• Retired Staff
  • 9319 posts

Posted 14 May 2019 - 12:20 AM

Series retrospective trailer:

遊び終わ。- ブレラ・スターン少佐西暦2059年

Visit the Transformers Wiki and the IDW Hasbro Wiki!

#159 Rust

Rust

• Supporter
  • 45451 posts

Posted 14 May 2019 - 04:11 AM

Now see...if that had been the initial trailer I'd be a lot more excited for the film. Feels much, much better than the Member Berry X3 reveal trailer we got.

That said, Dark Phoenix really is a story that almost needs a movie's worth of building towards to really tell it "right". As it stands, it's going to be incredibly rushed.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users