Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  Rodimus Supreme : (21 January 2020 - 11:16 AM)

Big retailers just don't want money anymore, so let's not give them any,

@  TheMightyMol... : (20 January 2020 - 04:12 PM)

This place is a madhouse, feels like being cloned.

@  Maximus Ambus : (20 January 2020 - 03:38 PM)

I took one step beyond the outer limits to the twilight zone.

@  TheMightyMol... : (20 January 2020 - 10:19 AM)

All retail is basically the same.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (20 January 2020 - 10:00 AM)

Walmart just needs to go bankrupt already.

@  ThunderWear : (20 January 2020 - 07:19 AM)

They didn't put the 35th anniversary stuff back out until after new year. I'm no retail expert, but I feel like having stock on the shelf is better than the back. Especially toys at christmas time.

@  ThunderWear : (20 January 2020 - 07:18 AM)

Yeah, my local walmart took away the 35th anniversary endcap weeks before Christmas and left the Transformer section empty well past Christmas.

@  TheMightyMol... : (20 January 2020 - 04:44 AM)

Mine only has the 35th Anniversary Voyagers. A whole lot of them.

@  Telly : (19 January 2020 - 11:35 PM)

just be happy your walmart even stocks voyagers. mine doesnt

@  Steevy Maximus : (19 January 2020 - 08:53 PM)

Figures that Walmart finally restocks Studio Voyagers...with Wave ONE

@  ThunderWear : (19 January 2020 - 09:27 AM)

I snagged Rainmakers for half off.  They make me want jolly ranchers.

@  Trpodeca : (18 January 2020 - 04:21 PM)

I was using my account on another comptuer, and oddly it seemed to default to $US rather than converting it.

@  TM2-Megatron : (18 January 2020 - 02:02 PM)

You should be able to set eBay to display in your local currency, although personally I like to know the actual currency the item is listed in so I know if I need to account for forex fees or not

@  Trpodeca : (18 January 2020 - 06:34 AM)

I'd also like to take the opportunity to say I despise Ebay for showing the list prices in US money.

@  Trpodeca : (18 January 2020 - 06:23 AM)

Well there is an overpriced limited edition, but I don't want to pay that much money for it.

@  Trpodeca : (18 January 2020 - 06:21 AM)

Well great. The one Usagi Yojimbo volume I don't have and it's out of stock.

@  Rycochet : (17 January 2020 - 06:15 PM)

I both love and hate that the Alien franchise seems to have had more luck finding a niche as a line of children's toys than it has at producing worthwhile films.

@  Donocropolis : (17 January 2020 - 06:35 AM)

I've seen them on the shelves at Walmart. They're pretty great looking retro Aliens toys. https://www.walmart....-Vary/934039489

@  fourteenwings : (17 January 2020 - 01:11 AM)

IIRC somebody on here mentioned an unbranded Alien toy a couple of weeks ago? It seems like it was actually part of a collection for the Alien movie series by Lanard. Mattel's making some stuff too.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (16 January 2020 - 03:12 PM)

Is it really a worse name than say, HMS Spanker?

@  Maximus Ambus : (16 January 2020 - 02:36 PM)

'Boaty McBoatface' was a actual thing?! Wow.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (14 January 2020 - 02:00 PM)

Might be worth bringing back this thread.

@  ThunderWear : (14 January 2020 - 01:53 PM)

Of course I had the idea to download all the pdfs like a week too late. Anyone got an archive?

@  Steevy Maximus : (14 January 2020 - 12:48 PM)

The Collector Club is dead. Seems like it all came down shortly after New Year

@  ThunderWear : (13 January 2020 - 11:06 PM)

I can't get to the collector club website. anyone else? I was literally going to download all the fiction to finish reading.

@  Maximus Ambus : (13 January 2020 - 04:50 AM)

News today is all 'there's a CHANCE it would snow in July' and 'dogs COULD bite back'.

@  Benbot : (12 January 2020 - 10:05 PM)

Holy crap, do many people get hurt by them?

@  wonko the sane? : (12 January 2020 - 02:11 PM)

Even in fallout, they never carpet bombed with nukes.

@  Maximus Ambus : (12 January 2020 - 12:43 PM)

I hope the stockpiled nuclear weapons of the US and Russia are accounted for then.

@  Nevermore : (12 January 2020 - 12:22 PM)

Geez. 1760 (!) bombs from World War II that had not detonated and were still armed have been found. That's only the numbers for the federal state of Germany I live in, and only for the first three quarters of 2019. For all of 2018, the total number was 2811 (!!) bombs.

@  CVReynolds : (11 January 2020 - 11:05 PM)

I've been wanting a Tarantulas that turns into a more realistic tarantula for a long time. Maybe Takara will someday do a Masterpiece, which would be neat. But I really want to see a modernized look like in the IDW comics.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (11 January 2020 - 09:43 PM)

We need more Waspinators.. and rattraps.

@  Ashley : (11 January 2020 - 07:09 PM)

I'm on board with that

@  Dekafox : (11 January 2020 - 06:17 PM)

What I'm hearing is we need Cyberverse Waspinator

@  NotVeryKnightly : (10 January 2020 - 01:27 AM)

He's appeared across more branding changes than Waspinator, so maybe it's more the other way around.

@  Ashley : (10 January 2020 - 12:01 AM)

is C3PO the Waspinator of Star Wars? he'll live forever, because it's funny for him to suffer

@  Sabrblade : (09 January 2020 - 11:52 PM)

He's still waiting for them to be funny.

@  ▲ndrusi : (09 January 2020 - 10:35 PM)

Why?

@  Maximus Ambus : (09 January 2020 - 04:02 PM)

I've been watching South Park, Family Guy and The Simpsons with a straight face for a decade now.

@  wonko the sane? : (09 January 2020 - 03:18 PM)

If that's what it takes to get you to take the medication, sure.

@  Bass X0 : (09 January 2020 - 01:52 PM)

If I go crazy, will you still call me Superman?

@  fourteenwings : (09 January 2020 - 11:37 AM)

I mean, it is easier to protect HDDs, and you can retransfer the data over and over forever?

@  NotVeryKnightly : (09 January 2020 - 10:45 AM)

Not in this comparison. He's making his own files, so they're (presumably) not restricted by DRM, so he can copy them as many times as he wants. It's potentially more reliable in the long term than hoping the specific copies you originally bought never accrue any damage for the rest of your life.

@  Echowarrior : (09 January 2020 - 10:44 AM)

I prefer physical copies too. Easier to protect something physical and tangible.

@  Maximus Ambus : (09 January 2020 - 09:55 AM)

I prefer having physical copies.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (09 January 2020 - 08:56 AM)

I have plenty of physical media I turn into digital media for my plex server. Just finished ripping Ultra Seven

@  fourteenwings : (09 January 2020 - 08:50 AM)

Isn't the general consensus that we're supposed to be over physical media anyways?

@  Paladin : (09 January 2020 - 08:17 AM)

i still don't own a Blu-Ray player.

@  TheMightyMol... : (09 January 2020 - 07:35 AM)

My current TV works just fine. I don't see a need to upgrade. And by the time I do, the Next Big Thing will probably be out anyway.

@  Benbot : (09 January 2020 - 03:58 AM)

Me neither. I'm no rebel, though. I'm just poor.

Photo

Dark Phoenix - X-Men movie discussion

239 replies to this topic

#221 Telly

Telly

Like a tiny sandwich...

• Retired Staff
  • 8302 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 02 July 2019 - 03:59 PM

just ask edgar wright

When I die I will surely go to Heaven for i spent my life in Hell

#222 Rust

Rust

Slightly Off

• Supporter
  • 46737 posts

Posted 03 July 2019 - 04:50 AM

It struck me yesterday as I was at work and glanced at a promotional poster for Dark Phoenix...the thing that kept me from even giving it a chance like I did Apocalypse.

The Dark Phoenix outfit. That same outfit from X3. It never clicked before but a lot of the problems I have with the movie interpretation of the Phoenix is how absolutely wrong they get the outfit. Now I get it, putting a woman into skin tight spandex with thigh highs and elbow gloves is not the kind of thing you typically see in what is obstinately a family action feature. But for me, it's the missing sash around the waist. That's kind of iconic to the whole Phoenix look and giving her a red goth style jacket and dress in replacement doesn't click in the slightest. She feels more like a missing member of the Hellfire Club rather than a potent psychic entity.

#223 HellCat

HellCat

Opinionated idiot

• Citizen
  • 28843 posts

Posted 03 July 2019 - 10:20 AM

From what I've heard the first season of the Marvel Action Hour humiliated Marvel, to the point they themselves were mocking it. There's an issue of Fantastic Four where someone (I believe Hank Pym) finds it whilst channel surfing and laughs to Ben about it, who isn't amused. Season 2 was thus Marvel getting serious to fix their reputation.

The big thing I remember is how cheap the audio was. Can't get Avery Brooks to redo a line? Just ask Jim Cummings to do a 'black guy voice'. Same problem with Century? Eh, get Silver Surfer's VA from the sibling show.

#224 Destron D-69

Destron D-69

Springer's Mom has got it go'n on!

• Supporter
  • 62539 posts
  • Faction::Lesbian Ninja

Posted 05 July 2019 - 01:38 AM

My problem with the dark phoenix saga in both films... is they forget to do the Phoenix saga part - and that's kinda important 

#225 Caldwin

Caldwin

Didn't even break a nail!

• Supporter
  • 25158 posts
  • Faction::Equestrian

Posted 22 September 2019 - 07:41 AM

I got the Bluray and watched it last night. I went in to it with zero expectations, so it's hard to say I was disappointed. I think it was better than Last Stand, but that's about all the praise I can give it.

Mystique looked like crap. Jennifer Lawrence as an actress has lost any good will I used to have for her. She was good in the Hunger Games...and don't get me wrong, she has some real acting chops. The problem is that she knows it and it's truly gone to her head. I actually almost cheered when
Spoiler

Night Crawler's mass murder spree screams character assassination to me. I get that he was angry, but dang! I just don't see comic Night Crawler doing some of that stuff.

I just always liked Famke Janssen far more than I ever gave any kind of shit about Sophie Turner. Just my opinion. Famke just seemed to put more into the part.

I will say Alexandra's Storm is pretty good. I absolutely love Halle Berry beyond all reason (except for Catwoman, that was crap). But Alexandra Shipp did a pretty good job, especially considering what little they gave her to work with.

I guess over all, it's not the worst X-Men film (in spite of Jennifer Lawrences best efforts)...but it's far from the best. It certainly wasn't the bang I was hoping for for the last movie of this continuity. I think they just really peaked with Days of Future Past.

Biggest complaint, Mystiques quip about women doing the most for the team. I forget how she worded it, but I immediately called bull shit. She was doing so well raging against Xavier before that. Him putting the team at risk for his ego was a decent argument, if sloppily capitalized on at best. But it's like they just slipped in that feminist SJW bullshit line in just to slip it in and it felt so forced. Excuse me? Are you saying Quick Silver didn't save everyone's collective butts multiple times, or that Wolverine didn't give it his all...or that Havik didn't contribute his share? Hug you!
PSN = Caldwin

Switch = SW-7457-8143-2029

Mornings are for coffee and contemplation.

Before you do anything you can't undo...National Suicide Prevention Hotline: 1-800-273-8255

#226 bigbot69

bigbot69

Back and slightly less angry...kinda

• Citizen
  • 1401 posts

Posted 22 September 2019 - 08:54 AM

Biggest complaint, Mystiques quip about women doing the most for the team. I forget how she worded it, but I immediately called bull shit. She was doing so well raging against Xavier before that. Him putting the team at risk for his ego was a decent argument, if sloppily capitalized on at best. But it's like they just slipped in that feminist SJW bullshit line in just to slip it in and it felt so forced. Excuse me? Are you saying Quick Silver didn't save everyone's collective butts multiple times, or that Wolverine didn't give it his all...or that Havik didn't contribute his share? Hug you!

Was with you for most of it, then you had to start with the insults. You don't like the scene that's fine, if you feel it was forced, fine, so did I. But feminist and SJW bullshit is where you pushed it too far.

It's a Newcomic (apparently)

#227 Caldwin

Caldwin

• Supporter
  • 25158 posts

Posted 22 September 2019 - 09:27 AM

Women are always saving the men, it should be called X-Women.

Particularly when I cited examples of that being utterly bull, what else am I supposed to call it but feminist bull shit?
PSN = Caldwin

Before you do anything you can't undo...National Suicide Prevention Hotline: 1-800-273-8255

#228 Powered Convoy

Powered Convoy

Skywarp Connoisseur

• Retired Staff
  • 66376 posts
  • Faction::RIRFIB

Posted 22 September 2019 - 12:54 PM

The women of X-Men have always been more impressive than the men.

ACItEK8.png

#229 Caldwin

Caldwin

• Supporter
  • 25158 posts

Posted 22 September 2019 - 01:03 PM

While I do agree: Rogue, Storm, Kitty Pryde, Phoenix, Majik, Psylocke, Wolvesbane

I feel I must also remind you: Wolverine, Colossus, Nightcrawler, Deadpool, (sometimes) Cyclops, Cable
PSN = Caldwin

#230 TM2-Megatron

TM2-Megatron
  • Supporter
  • 10702 posts

Posted 22 September 2019 - 01:38 PM

I think they just really peaked with Days of Future Past.

Yeah, really. That should've been the conclusion of this continuity, followed by Logan tucked away in its own little gritty pocket universe, as a hypothetical alternate future to the good end we saw in DOFP.

I still haven't seen Dark Phoenix... I suppose I will eventually, but I'm 100% sure it's going to be dreck and that I'm going to hate it.

#231 Rust

Rust

Slightly Off

• Supporter
  • 46737 posts

Posted 22 September 2019 - 05:08 PM

Ironically, Days of Future Past is where I felt this series well and truly jumped the shark. First Class was SO GOOD...and they just HAD to bring in the garbage fire that was the original trilogy with DoFP. Threw away everything First Class tried to build on, including fridging 90% of both teams off screen.

#232 bigbot69

bigbot69

Back and slightly less angry...kinda

• Citizen
  • 1401 posts

Posted 23 September 2019 - 03:21 AM

Ironically, Days of Future Past is where I felt this series well and truly jumped the shark. First Class was SO GOOD...and they just HAD to bring in the garbage fire that was the original trilogy with DoFP. Threw away everything First Class tried to build on, including fridging 90% of both teams off screen.

I love days of future past and the 'love letter' send off it game to the original trilogy, but I do agree. It dumped on First Class, which was an excellent film and dynamic.

It's a Newcomic (apparently)

#233 Rust

Rust

Slightly Off

• Supporter
  • 46737 posts

Posted 23 September 2019 - 04:44 AM

The original trilogy didn't need a love letter at all. Especially not after Last Stand.

#234 ZacWilliam1

ZacWilliam1
  • Citizen
  • 17416 posts

Posted 23 September 2019 - 11:53 AM

I love DoFP for doing literally the only thing I wanted from it and retconning Last Stand out of existence. It's ending is exactly pitch perfect what I wanted from that film.

-ZacWilliam, is it a perfect sequel to First Class? No. Is it a great tie up to all the X-men films up to that point inclusive? I'd say yes.
Ever wonder about the speed of Turbofoxes?
Or the proverbial ailerons of Titanium Moosebots?

*Visit the one and only Cybertronic Bestiary.
For a mechazoologic tour of the mechanimals of Cybertron.

#235 Telly

Telly

Like a tiny sandwich...

• Retired Staff
  • 8302 posts

Posted 23 September 2019 - 01:20 PM

i think dofp wouldve been better had it just been magneto and xavier. ill never pass up a chance to see ian and patrick in those roles

#236 Rust

Rust

Slightly Off

• Supporter
  • 46737 posts

Posted 24 September 2019 - 02:27 AM

I love DoFP for doing literally the only thing I wanted from it and retconning Last Stand out of existence.

Then this film happened and it came right back! Like DC Comics and they're constant rebooting of the universe, they just can't help but think "This time...this time it will be different!"

#237 Kup

Kup
  • Supporter
  • 3136 posts

Posted 24 September 2019 - 08:48 AM

Actually...DoFP cant be in the same timeline as DF, right? We didnt see Mystique in the end, but Jean was definitely there.
"Someone once told me that Time is a predator that stalked us all our lives, but I'd rather believe that Time is a companion who goes with us on the journey, and reminds us to cherish every moment -- because they'll never come again."

#238 PiratedTVPro

PiratedTVPro

Quoth Akitsu, "NEVERMORE!"

• Retired Staff
  • 14617 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 24 September 2019 - 09:57 AM

Actually...DoFP cant be in the same timeline as DF, right? We didnt see Mystique in the end, but Jean was definitely there.

I think you're trying to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear.

Yep.

#239 Powered Convoy

Powered Convoy

Skywarp Connoisseur

• Retired Staff
  • 66376 posts

Posted 24 September 2019 - 12:09 PM

They were originally planning on continuing the story. 

By the time they were doing reshoots though, I think they knew that this was the end.  You would think that they might adjust based on that.

ACItEK8.png

#240 Telly

Telly

Like a tiny sandwich...

• Retired Staff
  • 8302 posts

Posted 28 November 2019 - 07:19 PM

picked this up for a tenner at walmarts black friday sale. cant wait to see how awful it is!

plus i wont have a hole in my x-men collection...

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users