Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  MEDdMI : (19 April 2019 - 09:21 PM)

oof, yikes. Good luck.

@  wonko the sane? : (19 April 2019 - 09:18 PM)

We're in the middle of a kitchen reno and NOTHING will be done until tuesday. I could beat a four day weekend with a hammer right now if it meant I could use my stove again.

@  Steevy Maximus : (19 April 2019 - 06:47 PM)

Can't beat 4 day weekends either.

@  Steevy Maximus : (19 April 2019 - 06:47 PM)

I prefer later shifts myself, but my 3 day weekend shift isn't bad. Nice to work without those administration busy bodies poking around.

@  Nevermore : (19 April 2019 - 04:12 AM)

Yeah, traffic is a plus as well. Rarely got any trouble getting to work on late shift (even with the neverending construction site on the highway), and when my shift is over, there's hardly any traffic at all anymore.

@  MEDdMI : (18 April 2019 - 06:27 PM)

while I don't have weekends consistently off, working 2nd shift isn't so bad. I'm more likely to do stuff before work than after (when I'm already tired). Plus no rush hour traffic

@  TM2-Megatron : (18 April 2019 - 05:03 PM)

Switching shifts constantly is never good for one's health. There was a time when I worked overnights steady for about 2 years; did wonders for my health, as well

@  Nevermore : (18 April 2019 - 04:36 PM)

Don't miss early shift (and especially switching back and forth every two weeks) a bit.

@  Nevermore : (18 April 2019 - 04:36 PM)

Man, permanent late shift really has done wonders for my overal well-being. Never having to get up early for work, staying up late, weekends off... a ot of my coworkers think I'm crazy, but late shift is really my preferred shift.

@  Nevermore : (18 April 2019 - 04:33 PM)

(My total lack of sleep on that day might have contributed, though.)

At noon, it was warm.

On Monday, we went on strike early in the morning, I was also wearing to jackets and gloves and my toes and fingers were freezing.

@  wonko the sane? : (18 April 2019 - 04:31 PM)

Nope, right now my days are doing that. Frigid at night (Well, just below zero, but still.) and warm enough to be always be ill prepared during the day.

@  Nevermore : (18 April 2019 - 04:28 PM)

Today it's so warm I had to take a shower to wash off the sweat after a lengthy bike trip.

@  Nevermore : (18 April 2019 - 04:27 PM)

This past Friday I was wearing two jackets and winter gloves outside and took a hot bath when I returned home.

@  Nevermore : (18 April 2019 - 04:27 PM)

Is "April weather" an issue in other countries as well, or is that specifically a German phenomenon?

@  PlutoniumBoss : (16 April 2019 - 11:04 AM)

Well, when you understand the history of the area it make sense. It's basically a series of countries buying the place, moving in, saying "we rule you people now", and the locals shrugging and responding, "okay, you have fun with that".

@  Sabrblade : (16 April 2019 - 07:58 AM)

When did we all turn into Henry Higgins?

@  unluckiness : (16 April 2019 - 03:16 AM)

To be fair, most Americans can't get the hang of English, so I can understand why.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (16 April 2019 - 03:15 AM)

(And yeah, Calliope is a Greek muse, not French, but the street was named BY the French when they took over.)

@  PlutoniumBoss : (16 April 2019 - 03:10 AM)

In New Orleans there's a bunch of streets with French names that are pronounced by locals with a more English emphasis, for example "Calliope Street" is pronounced "CAL-lee-ope".

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (15 April 2019 - 11:56 PM)

I figured as much for Canadians.

@  TM2-Megatron : (15 April 2019 - 11:37 PM)

hm; whenever I've heard people talk about the school they said it the same way as the cathedral...but I guess that's in Canada, so they're probably more familiar with the cathedral than the school

@  Dracula : (15 April 2019 - 11:11 PM)

There's plenty of place names in the US like that. Around here we have an "el doh-RAY-doh," and up north there's a Cairo that's pronounced "kay-roh"

@  RichardT1977 : (15 April 2019 - 09:56 PM)

Yeah, the common pronunciation of the University is probably the reason most Americans don't pronounce the Cathedral name correctly.

@  Arazyr : (15 April 2019 - 08:03 PM)

That's my understanding of how the two are supposed to be pronounced as well.

@  Echowarrior : (15 April 2019 - 07:42 PM)

When I'm talking about the cathedral, I say "noh-treh dahme". When I talk about the university, I say "noh-ter dayme". I don't see a problem with that.

@  Paladin : (15 April 2019 - 06:26 PM)

guessing "Hunchback" just got bumped WAY down the list for Disney's live-action remakes...

@  Patch : (15 April 2019 - 05:56 PM)

We all pronounce it wrong, so no one knows enough to care.

@  TM2-Megatron : (15 April 2019 - 05:40 PM)

It'd be odd for most Americans not to know how to pronounce Notre Dame, considering they have a University with the same name that's the subject of a relatively popular film based around a sport most Americans love

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (15 April 2019 - 04:22 PM)

Three or four more hours will be needed to contain the fire.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (15 April 2019 - 04:22 PM)

Update from France 24: the Paris Fire Brigade says two towers and the main structure of the cathedral have been saved from complete destruction.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (15 April 2019 - 03:57 PM)

One does not have to speak French to know that rhyming with "voter name" is off the mark.

@  Locoman : (15 April 2019 - 03:51 PM)

Really? It's an international tragedy and you're zeroing in on the people who maybe don't speak French?

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (15 April 2019 - 03:44 PM)

@Tm_Silverclaw I just read on BBC News that the cause is not yet clear, but officials suspect the fire could be linked to renovation work.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (15 April 2019 - 03:42 PM)

Oh boy, here we go with the U.S.-American newscasters who can't pronounce "Notre Dame" correctly.

@  TheMightyMol... : (15 April 2019 - 03:38 PM)

Too soon to say.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (15 April 2019 - 03:20 PM)

Do we know if it was an attack? Arson? Or just bad wiring?

@  Nevermore : (15 April 2019 - 02:10 PM)

Religion is dead?

@  Paladin : (15 April 2019 - 02:01 PM)

major cathedral burning down on Holy Week is some kind of metaphor.

@  Benbot : (15 April 2019 - 12:54 PM)

Hard to believe a wonder of the world could just be wiped out so easily. Hopefully they can still save it

@  Benbot : (15 April 2019 - 12:51 PM)

Well, Notre Dame is burning down

@  Benbot : (15 April 2019 - 10:05 AM)

yikes I thought the site was going to be down for a while

@  Nevermore : (14 April 2019 - 09:07 PM)

So, time for another strike. No sleep for me tonight. Oh well.

@  Nevermore : (14 April 2019 - 09:04 PM)

Think Game of Thrones "light" meets Cabaret and you get the idea.

@  Nevermore : (14 April 2019 - 09:03 PM)

Kinda sorta, just with more intrigue, conspiracy, depravity, crime and violence.

@  RichardT1977 : (14 April 2019 - 06:37 PM)

So it's like a prequel to Cabaret?

@  Nevermore : (14 April 2019 - 04:02 PM)

And man, characters are smoking literally EVERYWHERE.

@  Nevermore : (14 April 2019 - 03:27 PM)

Also, full frontal male nudity. (There's been quite a bit of female nudity since episode 1.)

@  Nevermore : (14 April 2019 - 03:26 PM)

Episode 6, and Hitler is randomly name-checked.

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

James Cameron's Alita is actually a real thing?!

346 replies to this topic

#41 Spark

Spark
  • Citizen
  • 38395 posts

Posted 11 December 2017 - 01:36 PM

...Alita is creepy as hell.  I don't think I can watch that for 2-3 hours or however long.

Fall of Cybertron will blow your mind. That is all.

#42 NICK NEMESIS

NICK NEMESIS

Www.scatterville.com

• Supporter
  • 16790 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 11 December 2017 - 02:12 PM

She's not supposed to be human though. I figure it's slightly off putting intentionally. It doesn't bother me.
Http://www.scatterville.com

#43 Copper Bezel

Copper Bezel

Accessorized.

• Administrator
  • 48967 posts
  • Faction::Equestrian

Posted 11 December 2017 - 04:34 PM

I don't think there's any question it's intentional, it's just a very risky choice. Because yeah, a lot of people are going to be put off by this. I love it, but I also love uncanny dolls. 

Shouldn't gravity be doing something?

Of course there's a figure of Rodimus as some kind of animal girl. Why would I be surprised by this?

#44 K Gatzby

K Gatzby

Mew.

• Supporter
  • 4711 posts
  • Faction::Vehicon

Posted 11 December 2017 - 04:54 PM

They had me at Christoph Waltz. He can carry any movie.

Signatures are overrated.

#45 Maruten

Maruten
  • Staff
  • 6765 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 11 December 2017 - 05:02 PM

I find it hard not to be enthusiastic about Jennifer Connelly too. I mean, I'm not sure I've actually seen anything she's done since Labyrinth, but still. 

Oh, she did that one Hulk movie, right? There's at least that. And I think I saw Dark CIty. And I've definitely seen bits of the Rocketeer but maybe not the whole thing? 

fascinating and relevant post: concluded

WsuGTl1.jpg

#46 Spark

Spark
  • Citizen
  • 38395 posts

Posted 11 December 2017 - 05:33 PM

She was also the suit AI voice for Spider-Man in Homecoming.  Because that's an in-joke about her being married to the guy who plays JARVIS/Vision.

Edited by Spark, 11 December 2017 - 05:33 PM.

Fall of Cybertron will blow your mind. That is all.

#47 Maruten

Maruten
  • Staff
  • 6765 posts

Posted 11 December 2017 - 06:38 PM

Aw, that's cute. Haven't seen that yet. Also somehow had no idea they (Paulifer Connany?) were a thing. 

WsuGTl1.jpg

#48 AgentOrange

AgentOrange
  • Citizen
  • 1150 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 11 December 2017 - 08:34 PM

I find it hard not to be enthusiastic about Jennifer Connelly too. I mean, I'm not sure I've actually seen anything she's done since Labyrinth, but still. 

Oh, she did that one Hulk movie, right? There's at least that. And I think I saw Dark CIty. And I've definitely seen bits of the Rocketeer but maybe not the whole thing? 

fascinating and relevant post: concluded

Go watch Requiem for a Dream.
LOOKDOWN.png

#49 Teufel

Teufel

Who wants to rock forever?

• Supporter
  • 6029 posts
  • Faction::Decepticon

Posted 12 December 2017 - 12:58 AM

I mean, sure, the fiction can be used to wipe away a specific complaint that applies as a general comment about Hollywood. I guess it doesn't matter anyway. Forget I said anything.

So in the Alita film thread I should ignore the specifics of the Alita film? You made some broad complaints about whitewashing in a film by one of America's notable non-white directors who in the 20+ years I've been watching his work frequently has more diverse casts than the norm, this one not an exception. I'm not too familiar with the source material. Were any of the characters being played by Hispanic, African, Chinese, or Vietnamese actors/actresses those ethnicities in the manga and do you find it problematic if they don't match up?

The Ido picture was not my attempt to make a "point", I was just surprised that when I checked out your specific example of whitewashing he turned out to look like he walked out of a Nazi's blue-eyed-blond-eyed wet dream. How could I pass up making a joke? More seriously, why should he absolutely have to be Japanese? Was there anything central to his character that required him to be Japanese? Christoph Waltz is a fine actor. As long as they did not go out of their way to exclude a man of Asian descent or any other ethnicity what is wrong with his casting?

Are there issues with Asian representation in Hollywood? Certainly. I didn't watch Ghost in the Shell 2017, but it seemed to still be set in Japan so there's no excuse to have a white lead. The Last Airbender was a clear travesty. The Ancient One in Doc Strange was multiple layers of stupidity - heaven forbid an Asian mystic in Not-Tibet. Bruce Lee infamously came up with the idea for Kung Fu only to see him pushed aside and replaced with a very not Chinese David Carradine. It's harder for them to get roles that don't require some element of exoticism or mysticism or stereotype. Certainly for Asian-American actors China's box office is a bit of a mixed blessing because we see more Asian faces in our blockbusters nowadays to appeal to that cash cow, but they are imports who are famous Chinese stars. Not much of a help for an Asian-American looking for roles.

Where I would push back on is the lazy kneejerk notion that always comes up in all these threads that adapting a foreign property and localizing it is inherently "whitewashing" and bad. Death Note was set in Japan so it can't be transplanted to America? Ridiculous. There's nothing about it that prevented the core elements from being moved across the Pacific. The Film Gods should strike me down for even mentioning these movies in the same paragraph as Death Note, but take... actually, to just be safe...

Sergio Leone adapted Yojimbo and made one of the greatest westerns and other than not giving proper credit and having to be sued for ripping off Kurosawa, there was nothing wrong with that. Likewise Seven Samurai's adaptation into The Magnificent Seven was wonderful, is it a travesty that someone liked the story of Seven Samurai and wanted to put it into a different time and land?

It's not as if this is a one way street. Bollywood, South Korea, China, Japan, the Middle East etc. adapt US films and TV shows and change their settings and cast appropriately. There are many examples of this.

Clint Eastwood's classic western Unforgiven was adapted by the Japanese. Eastwood's wrinkly lily white ass was replaced by Ken Watanabe's wrinkly non-white ass and the Wild West was changed to the Meiji era. Good for them, it sounds pretty cool. The global cross-pollination of stories and ideas helps spur creativity and fresh perspectives. If someone in Japan sees Unforgiven and thinks it'd be bad ass to transplant its core concept to the Meiji era or a South Korean watches some episodes of Suits and thinks it'd be neat transplanted to South Korea or an Indian sees The Godfather and wants to give it a Bollywood treatment... more power to them.

So what's wrong with localization? What obligation does Hollywood have to adapt Akira and keep it in Neo Tokyo instead of Neo Manhattan with a cast that is more representative of American demographics and more representative of their domestic customers? Japan has its own film industry if it wants to tackle it one day and it's not as if the anime film is going to disappear. Likewise what obligation does China or Japan have to adapt American or European properties and have a cast that matches those foreign demographics? That's not anymore an "erasure" or whateverwashing as when it goes the other way.

#50 2019

Merciless.

• Citizen
  • 42884 posts

Posted 12 December 2017 - 02:40 AM

I think I've made myself clear, I want more Asian actors in leading roles and this film, based on a Japanese property, could do better than having two supporting cast members played by Asians. You're right, it doesn't have to be Daisuke, or any specific character, but the fact that none are there is noticeable and a reminder that Hollywood often shafts Asians.

Does that answer satisfy you?

PM me if you're bored!

#51 Fear or Courage

Fear or Courage

Do I compel you?

• Citizen
  • 2114 posts

Posted 13 December 2017 - 11:27 AM

In an ideal world, in a couple weeks we'll be hearing about nervous executives pulling rank and delaying the movie to re-animate her face, like it was Justice League. Unfortunately, with James Cameron behind this, he can probably force it through.

It's a shame, as this looks to be 100 percent relevant to my interests, but I just cant get around those huge, fake, bad-looking eyes. 

Like, if this was in development hell for about 20 years, you'd think SOMEONE would have said something. It's kind of tragic to have all that work ruined by one dumb decision.

#52 Copper Bezel

Copper Bezel

Accessorized.

• Administrator
  • 48967 posts

Posted 13 December 2017 - 11:33 AM

In an ideal world, in a couple weeks we'll be hearing about nervous executives pulling rank and delaying the movie to re-animate her face, like it was Justice League. 

In an ideal world ... reshooting like Justice League.

No. Nosir, those do not belong in the same sentence. = P

Edited by Copper Bezel, 13 December 2017 - 11:33 AM.

Of course there's a figure of Rodimus as some kind of animal girl. Why would I be surprised by this?

#53 Maruten

Maruten
  • Staff
  • 6765 posts

Posted 13 December 2017 - 04:15 PM

It's a shame, as this looks to be 100 percent relevant to my interests, but I just cant get around those huge, fake, bad-looking eyes. 

Like, if this was in development hell for about 20 years, you'd think SOMEONE would have said something. It's kind of tragic to have all that work ruined by one dumb decision.

It was baked in from the beginning and I suspect they'll be keeping it.

https://www.kotaku.c...et-is-reacting/

While talking to IGN BrazilSin City director Robert Rodriguez explained the decision to give the character these peepers, saying, "The manga anime eyes that we've seen since the '30s and Astro Boy has never been done photorealistically. So, usually when we see an anime translated, it doesn't feel like that."

Continuing, he adds, "The early artwork I saw that Jim [Cameron] had, before it was even technically possible, had that in her [Alita]. It was so striking and so arresting, I thought, 'My god, we have to do that. We have to be the first to bring a true manga and anime character to life.'"

WsuGTl1.jpg

#54 2019

Merciless.

• Citizen
  • 42884 posts

Posted 13 December 2017 - 05:13 PM

You can do that without bugeyes, buddy.

PM me if you're bored!

#55 Copper Bezel

Copper Bezel

Accessorized.

• Administrator
  • 48967 posts

Posted 13 December 2017 - 05:30 PM

Yeah, I find that explanation significantly less convincing than the animation itself. The choice got weirder. 

#56 Maruten

Maruten
  • Staff
  • 6765 posts

Posted 13 December 2017 - 05:54 PM

Oh, yeah, it's terrible, terrible logic in a whole heap of ways and the outcome of those decisions is far from ideal. 

But it's deliberate and they like it. It amazes me that creepy blink-carefully-or-your-skull-will-fall-out eyes were considered so fundamental to the character that they were part of the designs from day one. It really doesn't give them the look they think it gives them. 

I think we'll survive it, but in the future people will write books about how weird it was. 

WsuGTl1.jpg

#57 Destron D-69

Destron D-69

May Mayhem

• Supporter
  • 61041 posts
  • Faction::Lesbian Ninja

Posted 13 December 2017 - 10:07 PM

I like that they're fans of the anime and are making these choices in service of being faithful to it. 

"Does the Boss look different to you?" "She Looks Hot." "So that's a no then?"

#58 Maruten

Maruten
  • Staff
  • 6765 posts

Posted 13 December 2017 - 10:37 PM

I get that, but at the same time it's a bit odd for them to say "let's tack this very specific aspect of stylisation onto an iteration of the character that is far removed from a context in which that makes sense". 

And I want to say "she's a crazy robot lady, her eyes can be whatever the heck size they want", but it isn't necessarily that simple. Maybe. Depending on etc etc 

They seem not to have gone Full Alita on the other characters we've seen, right? So how we take her design may be partially dependent on what everyone else looks like. 

Also I'm not entirely certain we're necessarily in good hands if they came out of the source material going THE CRITICAL THING WE MUST DEFINITELY CAPTURE IS ALITA'S MASSIVE EYES. Of course, there's nothing to indicate that they didn't collect a whole bunch of other useful takeaways. I'm still inclined to think this looks, from the tiny glimpses we've seen and the history we know, like an adaptation that will reward those who can make peace with the "Aliteyes", as they will surely be widely known. 

WsuGTl1.jpg

#59 The Doctor Who

The Doctor Who

Now With Sheffield Steel!

• Supporter
  • 17724 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 13 December 2017 - 10:41 PM

as they will surely be widely known. 

very widely.

O_O

nzo8WYb.png

#60 2019

Merciless.

• Citizen
  • 42884 posts

Posted 13 December 2017 - 10:43 PM

The problem is "big eyes" are probably the most superficial element of adapting a manga/anime/Japanese thing with big eyes in it, it really should have been last on the list of things to take away. But it's not, so it's going to be the first thing to be commented on!

PM me if you're bored!

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users