Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  MEDdMI : (19 April 2019 - 09:21 PM)

oof, yikes. Good luck.

@  wonko the sane? : (19 April 2019 - 09:18 PM)

We're in the middle of a kitchen reno and NOTHING will be done until tuesday. I could beat a four day weekend with a hammer right now if it meant I could use my stove again.

@  Steevy Maximus : (19 April 2019 - 06:47 PM)

Can't beat 4 day weekends either.

@  Steevy Maximus : (19 April 2019 - 06:47 PM)

I prefer later shifts myself, but my 3 day weekend shift isn't bad. Nice to work without those administration busy bodies poking around.

@  Nevermore : (19 April 2019 - 04:12 AM)

Yeah, traffic is a plus as well. Rarely got any trouble getting to work on late shift (even with the neverending construction site on the highway), and when my shift is over, there's hardly any traffic at all anymore.

@  MEDdMI : (18 April 2019 - 06:27 PM)

while I don't have weekends consistently off, working 2nd shift isn't so bad. I'm more likely to do stuff before work than after (when I'm already tired). Plus no rush hour traffic

@  TM2-Megatron : (18 April 2019 - 05:03 PM)

Switching shifts constantly is never good for one's health. There was a time when I worked overnights steady for about 2 years; did wonders for my health, as well

@  Nevermore : (18 April 2019 - 04:36 PM)

Don't miss early shift (and especially switching back and forth every two weeks) a bit.

@  Nevermore : (18 April 2019 - 04:36 PM)

Man, permanent late shift really has done wonders for my overal well-being. Never having to get up early for work, staying up late, weekends off... a ot of my coworkers think I'm crazy, but late shift is really my preferred shift.

@  Nevermore : (18 April 2019 - 04:33 PM)

(My total lack of sleep on that day might have contributed, though.)

At noon, it was warm.

On Monday, we went on strike early in the morning, I was also wearing to jackets and gloves and my toes and fingers were freezing.

@  wonko the sane? : (18 April 2019 - 04:31 PM)

Nope, right now my days are doing that. Frigid at night (Well, just below zero, but still.) and warm enough to be always be ill prepared during the day.

@  Nevermore : (18 April 2019 - 04:28 PM)

Today it's so warm I had to take a shower to wash off the sweat after a lengthy bike trip.

@  Nevermore : (18 April 2019 - 04:27 PM)

This past Friday I was wearing two jackets and winter gloves outside and took a hot bath when I returned home.

@  Nevermore : (18 April 2019 - 04:27 PM)

Is "April weather" an issue in other countries as well, or is that specifically a German phenomenon?

@  PlutoniumBoss : (16 April 2019 - 11:04 AM)

Well, when you understand the history of the area it make sense. It's basically a series of countries buying the place, moving in, saying "we rule you people now", and the locals shrugging and responding, "okay, you have fun with that".

@  Sabrblade : (16 April 2019 - 07:58 AM)

When did we all turn into Henry Higgins?

@  unluckiness : (16 April 2019 - 03:16 AM)

To be fair, most Americans can't get the hang of English, so I can understand why.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (16 April 2019 - 03:15 AM)

(And yeah, Calliope is a Greek muse, not French, but the street was named BY the French when they took over.)

@  PlutoniumBoss : (16 April 2019 - 03:10 AM)

In New Orleans there's a bunch of streets with French names that are pronounced by locals with a more English emphasis, for example "Calliope Street" is pronounced "CAL-lee-ope".

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (15 April 2019 - 11:56 PM)

I figured as much for Canadians.

@  TM2-Megatron : (15 April 2019 - 11:37 PM)

hm; whenever I've heard people talk about the school they said it the same way as the cathedral...but I guess that's in Canada, so they're probably more familiar with the cathedral than the school

@  Dracula : (15 April 2019 - 11:11 PM)

There's plenty of place names in the US like that. Around here we have an "el doh-RAY-doh," and up north there's a Cairo that's pronounced "kay-roh"

@  RichardT1977 : (15 April 2019 - 09:56 PM)

Yeah, the common pronunciation of the University is probably the reason most Americans don't pronounce the Cathedral name correctly.

@  Arazyr : (15 April 2019 - 08:03 PM)

That's my understanding of how the two are supposed to be pronounced as well.

@  Echowarrior : (15 April 2019 - 07:42 PM)

When I'm talking about the cathedral, I say "noh-treh dahme". When I talk about the university, I say "noh-ter dayme". I don't see a problem with that.

@  Paladin : (15 April 2019 - 06:26 PM)

guessing "Hunchback" just got bumped WAY down the list for Disney's live-action remakes...

@  Patch : (15 April 2019 - 05:56 PM)

We all pronounce it wrong, so no one knows enough to care.

@  TM2-Megatron : (15 April 2019 - 05:40 PM)

It'd be odd for most Americans not to know how to pronounce Notre Dame, considering they have a University with the same name that's the subject of a relatively popular film based around a sport most Americans love

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (15 April 2019 - 04:22 PM)

Three or four more hours will be needed to contain the fire.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (15 April 2019 - 04:22 PM)

Update from France 24: the Paris Fire Brigade says two towers and the main structure of the cathedral have been saved from complete destruction.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (15 April 2019 - 03:57 PM)

One does not have to speak French to know that rhyming with "voter name" is off the mark.

@  Locoman : (15 April 2019 - 03:51 PM)

Really? It's an international tragedy and you're zeroing in on the people who maybe don't speak French?

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (15 April 2019 - 03:44 PM)

@Tm_Silverclaw I just read on BBC News that the cause is not yet clear, but officials suspect the fire could be linked to renovation work.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (15 April 2019 - 03:42 PM)

Oh boy, here we go with the U.S.-American newscasters who can't pronounce "Notre Dame" correctly.

@  TheMightyMol... : (15 April 2019 - 03:38 PM)

Too soon to say.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (15 April 2019 - 03:20 PM)

Do we know if it was an attack? Arson? Or just bad wiring?

@  Nevermore : (15 April 2019 - 02:10 PM)

Religion is dead?

@  Paladin : (15 April 2019 - 02:01 PM)

major cathedral burning down on Holy Week is some kind of metaphor.

@  Benbot : (15 April 2019 - 12:54 PM)

Hard to believe a wonder of the world could just be wiped out so easily. Hopefully they can still save it

@  Benbot : (15 April 2019 - 12:51 PM)

Well, Notre Dame is burning down

@  Benbot : (15 April 2019 - 10:05 AM)

yikes I thought the site was going to be down for a while

@  Nevermore : (14 April 2019 - 09:07 PM)

So, time for another strike. No sleep for me tonight. Oh well.

@  Nevermore : (14 April 2019 - 09:04 PM)

Think Game of Thrones "light" meets Cabaret and you get the idea.

@  Nevermore : (14 April 2019 - 09:03 PM)

Kinda sorta, just with more intrigue, conspiracy, depravity, crime and violence.

@  RichardT1977 : (14 April 2019 - 06:37 PM)

So it's like a prequel to Cabaret?

@  Nevermore : (14 April 2019 - 04:02 PM)

And man, characters are smoking literally EVERYWHERE.

@  Nevermore : (14 April 2019 - 03:27 PM)

Also, full frontal male nudity. (There's been quite a bit of female nudity since episode 1.)

@  Nevermore : (14 April 2019 - 03:26 PM)

Episode 6, and Hitler is randomly name-checked.

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

James Cameron's Alita is actually a real thing?!

346 replies to this topic

#1 Maruten

Maruten
  • Staff
  • 6765 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 08 December 2017 - 04:21 PM

I obviously fell behind on the news here, because I did not expect this movie to ever actually exist.

Alita herself looks fairly ungreat I think, the others less so maybe. I don't have high hopes, but I have to admit the trailer smashed me in the nostalgia glands.

Edited by Maruten, 09 December 2017 - 02:45 AM.

WsuGTl1.jpg

#2 Teufel

Teufel

Who wants to rock forever?

• Supporter
  • 6029 posts
  • Faction::Decepticon

Posted 08 December 2017 - 04:24 PM

That's been in development hell for so long and by the looks of this it should've stayed there.

Those eyes are going to haunt my nightmares.

#3 unitremover

unitremover
  • Staff
  • 1339 posts
  • Faction::RIBFIR

Posted 08 December 2017 - 05:04 PM

Alita is definitely looking to be the new standard bearer for uncanny valley CG humans but I'm still kind of intrigued by this. More than I thought I would anyways. I started reading the manga with the recent re-release and fell in love with it almost immediately.

Shame they're probably going to have to tone down the violence to get it to a PG-13 though.

Edited by unitremover, 08 December 2017 - 05:07 PM.

#4 Ironbite

Ironbite

I might be a touch....angry

• Supporter
  • 27442 posts
  • Faction::RIBFIR

Posted 08 December 2017 - 05:24 PM

EITHER GO FULL CGI OR NOT!  NONE OF THIS IN BETWEEN CRAP!

Ironbite-it's like I'm back in the Star Wars prequels 

xC9l3eY.gif

#5 Copper Bezel

Copper Bezel

Accessorized.

• Administrator
  • 48970 posts
  • Faction::Equestrian

Posted 08 December 2017 - 06:27 PM

At least the uncanny effect is intentional. And it's not a subtle story, Hollywood can handle this one. 

It'll bomb and probably have it coming, but. 

Shouldn't gravity be doing something?

Of course there's a figure of Rodimus as some kind of animal girl. Why would I be surprised by this?

#6 Ms Virion

Ms Virion

I live again...

• Retired Staff
  • 18749 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 08 December 2017 - 06:41 PM

Yeah it's weird. I'm usually not bothered by the uncanny valley but Alita hits it for me hard. Which feels especially strange since it looks to be intentional. It's like, I'm not sure how I'm supposed to feel about this. I'm simultaneously disgusted and impressed.

#7 Powered Convoy

Powered Convoy

Skywarp Connoisseur

• Retired Staff
  • 64397 posts
  • Faction::RIRFIB

Posted 08 December 2017 - 07:05 PM

Very surprised, pleasantly so, that this is happening.

ACItEK8.png

#8 The Doctor Who

The Doctor Who

Now With Sheffield Steel!

• Supporter
  • 17728 posts

Posted 08 December 2017 - 11:14 PM

"I'm not completely human" O_O

Gee, ya don't hugging say?

I'm intrigued.  I know exactly nothing about the source material, but I do like me some robo/cyborg/things.

nzo8WYb.png

#9 TM2-Megatron

TM2-Megatron
  • Supporter
  • 10553 posts

Posted 08 December 2017 - 11:30 PM

I wish James Cameron would invest some time in getting The Abyss and True Lies released on a format newer than DVD... between this and his 15 or whatever Avatar sequels it seems like it'll never happen.

The recent 4K edition of Terminator 2 has been something of a disaster, too.

Edited by TM2-Megatron, 08 December 2017 - 11:30 PM.

#10 Telly

Telly

Killing forums since 1999!

• Retired Staff
  • 7749 posts

Posted 08 December 2017 - 11:38 PM

ive never seen any anime or read any manga from this so im "meh". do love me some jennifer connelly though

When I die I will surely go to Heaven for i spent my life in Hell

#11 Powered Convoy

Powered Convoy

Skywarp Connoisseur

• Retired Staff
  • 64397 posts
  • Faction::RIRFIB

Posted 08 December 2017 - 11:44 PM

I love, Love, LOVE the anime.
All time favorite of mine back in the mid nineties. Shame that they stopped making anime just a few short years later. ;)

ACItEK8.png

#12 D Buster Prime

D Buster Prime

Timeout. Do I convert?

• Retired Staff
  • 25799 posts

Posted 09 December 2017 - 01:01 AM

Uggh.  It looks like they just dropped a Pixar model in a live-action world.  Trying to watch it makes my brain cry "DO NOT WANT!"

VOTE FOR SIDEWAYS:

He's on your side...except when he isn't!

Z7ACRD0.jpg

Spoiler

#13 Maruten

Maruten
  • Staff
  • 6765 posts

Posted 09 December 2017 - 01:03 AM

The original, in both media, is a great classic of a bygone era, a sparkling gem in a sea of bland cyberpunk nonsense. Do they still make bland cyberpunk nonsense? I almost miss it. Back in the olden days, you took whatever shitty anime you could find and you were grateful for it.

WsuGTl1.jpg

#14 Destron D-69

Destron D-69

May Mayhem

• Supporter
  • 61043 posts
  • Faction::Lesbian Ninja

Posted 09 December 2017 - 01:31 AM

I'm over the moon about this. 

"Does the Boss look different to you?" "She Looks Hot." "So that's a no then?"

#15 Copper Bezel

Copper Bezel

Accessorized.

• Administrator
  • 48970 posts

Posted 09 December 2017 - 02:54 AM

Uggh.  It looks like they just dropped a Pixar model in a live-action world.  Trying to watch it makes my brain cry "DO NOT WANT!"

She's a living doll. I mean, not literally, but that's what the visuals are meant to tell you. I'm looking forward to seeing how it works over the course of the movie. 

"I'm not completely human" O_O

Gee, ya don't hugging say?

I'm intrigued.  I know exactly nothing about the source material, but I do like me some robo/cyborg/things.

Yeah, in the original, she just has a specially prepared human brain. It's technically more extreme than GitS, her brain is like ... plasticized, and she doesn't have any normal organic functions. (So that line struck me a bit odd, too, you're like ... 1% human there, dearie. And like Johansson's Major, doesn't remember being otherwise IIRC.)

Edited by Copper Bezel, 09 December 2017 - 02:55 AM.

Of course there's a figure of Rodimus as some kind of animal girl. Why would I be surprised by this?

#16 2019

Merciless.

• Citizen
  • 42884 posts

Posted 09 December 2017 - 04:01 AM

Woo, another Asian property with white actors.

PM me if you're bored!

#17 NotVeryKnightly

NotVeryKnightly
  • Staff
  • 21717 posts

Posted 09 December 2017 - 04:45 AM

Do they still make bland cyberpunk nonsense?

Trailers for the recent Cutie Honey movie made it look like an overly-serious attempt at cyberpunk rather than a violent fashion parade, though I don't know how the actual movie is.

Edited by NotVeryKnightly, 09 December 2017 - 04:47 AM.

#18 Zillatron

Zillatron

Lord of the Energon Harvest

• Citizen
  • 6306 posts
  • Faction::Unicron's Spawn

Posted 09 December 2017 - 04:47 AM

Woo, another Asian property with white actors.

Well, the setting for the story IS North America...

Well, Art is Art, isn't it? Still, on the other hand, water is water. And east is east and west is west and if you take cranberries and stew them like applesauce they taste much more like prunes than rhubarb does. Now you tell me what you know.

Groucho Marx

#19 2019

Merciless.

• Citizen
  • 42884 posts

Posted 09 December 2017 - 05:58 AM

Right, but they've explicitly changed main Japanese character Daisuke Ido into a white dude named Dyson Ido, so uh...

PM me if you're bored!

#20 Copper Bezel

Copper Bezel

Accessorized.

• Administrator
  • 48970 posts

Posted 09 December 2017 - 06:14 AM

About which no one would care if it wasn't a manga in the first place, particularly when they are being explicit about the change. I know it's easier to find opportunities where an Asian actor "should" have been cast but wasn't, vs. cases where Asian actors "could" be cast but aren't, but the problem and the responsibility relating to Asian actors in American film is not an anime adaptation problem, it's industry-wide.

I'm not going to say it wouldn't be nice and preferable to have a Japanese actor playing a role like this specifically - it should realistically be easy to manage when he's not the biggest face on the poster, and it would be somehow broadly satisfying to have a character who is on the surface a guide and mentor figure be from the nation of origin of the story. But it wouldn't be the most important feature of the film going either way. 

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users