Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  Sean Whitmore : (15 January 2019 - 08:47 PM)

The fact that Adventure Time was on the air for 8 years and at no point did Nintendo hand the creators a large sack of money and say, "Please make a Mario thing for us" will forever anger me.

@  wonko the sane? : (15 January 2019 - 07:03 PM)

There was so much awesome put into design and conception of the super mario bros. movie, and it didn't even need the branding: but it wouldn't have made it to the screen without the branding.

@  TM2-Megatron : (15 January 2019 - 06:56 PM)

Many aspects of it have stuck in my memory, though. The boots, the devolution ray, the aesthetic of the dinosaur city

@  TM2-Megatron : (15 January 2019 - 06:55 PM)

I had no idea there was another Mario Bros. movie coming out, though. Doubt it'll top the first one, it was just so bizarre

@  TM2-Megatron : (15 January 2019 - 06:55 PM)

They already act a bit like minions; they just aren't stupid

@  wonko the sane? : (15 January 2019 - 05:35 PM)

The trouble is: I honestly can't decide if making them minions would be better or worse than the continuously shrill voices they've used for the last 20 years.

@  Paladin : (15 January 2019 - 05:27 PM)

hope everyone's ready for Toads to look, act & sound like the Minions forever...

@  Lancer : (15 January 2019 - 04:54 PM)

I mean, considering Illumination is making the new Mario movie, Super Mario Bros. 1993 won't be the worst Mario movie anymore

@  Sabrblade : (15 January 2019 - 04:36 PM)

"Sir, your pizza's here." "Not now!"

@  wonko the sane? : (15 January 2019 - 04:28 PM)

Actually, yeah. I think I need to watch it again. Great movie.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (15 January 2019 - 03:44 PM)

It's a fun movie with amazing sets. As long as you don't try to connect it to anything else Mario, it's fine.

@  TM2-Megatron : (15 January 2019 - 03:38 PM)

Damn, I haven't thought about the Super Mario Bros. feature film in forever. Need to watch it again, soon; I can only imagine it gets better with time.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (15 January 2019 - 03:21 PM)

Re:Zero is a fantastic series.

@  ▲ndrusi : (15 January 2019 - 03:10 PM)

Yeah it's not a bad concept, it's just that lately the term is associated with "I, a Loser Everyman, Woke Up In a Generic Fantasy Setting Where I'm Super Special So Now Girls Orbit Me"

@  Sabrblade : (15 January 2019 - 12:59 PM)

So too is the old Super Mario Bros movie

@  wonko the sane? : (15 January 2019 - 12:28 PM)

I went and looked up the term "isekai"... that's not actually as bad as I thought it was going to be.

@  ▲ndrusi : (15 January 2019 - 12:19 PM)

I'm not sure, but the cartoon segments of The Super Mario Bros. Super Show are.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (15 January 2019 - 12:12 PM)

Wait. A. Minute. Is Blaster Master an isekai?

@  MEDdMI : (15 January 2019 - 08:49 AM)

*Dragon Slave*

@  Xellos : (15 January 2019 - 06:22 AM)

I used to use a pic like that as my avatar for years, but that... is a secret.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (15 January 2019 - 02:07 AM)

Is Flatland an isekai?

@  MEDdMI : (14 January 2019 - 11:16 PM)

@Xellos Every time I see you post, I picture Xellos' infuriating smug grin and finger waggling with the "sore wa hi*mi*tsu*desu <3"

@  Waspinator : (14 January 2019 - 09:50 PM)

The Last Starfighter is also one of those

@  Cybersnark : (14 January 2019 - 09:28 PM)

Astronaut gets shot through a wornhole and ends up on a living starship full of escaped alien prisoners.

@  Cybersnark : (14 January 2019 - 09:28 PM)

I realized a few months ago that Farscape is a sci-fi-based Isekai.

@  Sabrblade : (14 January 2019 - 09:03 PM)

The Thor movies and Enchanted, as well.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (14 January 2019 - 08:45 PM)

@xellos We get to many of those in Hollywood movies.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (14 January 2019 - 08:13 PM)

Re:Creators!

@  Xellos : (14 January 2019 - 07:47 PM)

There is also Aesthetica of a Rogue Hero, where people regularly get summoned to a fantasy world, then eventually sent back with their accumulated powers (and the main character smuggles the demon lord's daugher by his request, which is a no-no)

@  Waspinator : (14 January 2019 - 07:23 PM)

We need more inverse isekais, like The Devil is a Part-Timer

@  ▲ndrusi : (14 January 2019 - 04:11 PM)

I feel like Tron is pushing it but I can't actually come up with an argument to that effect

@  Pennpenn : (14 January 2019 - 03:21 PM)

To Arazyr- I don't see why it wouldn't be.

@  Xellos : (14 January 2019 - 02:11 PM)

Just like how TRON and Captain N are early examples of "getting transported into a video game"

@  NotVeryKnightly : (14 January 2019 - 02:07 PM)

That would explain why it's so common for isekai settings to be blatantly RPG-inspired.

@  Arazyr : (14 January 2019 - 01:42 PM)

Would the Dungeons & Dragons cartoon count as isekai? 8^)

@  ▲ndrusi : (14 January 2019 - 12:06 PM)

I am in the exceedingly unpleasant position of knowing what you're talking about

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (14 January 2019 - 12:05 PM)

So I'll just say I can consume the series without endorsing the real-life lie that false rape accusations are common and successful.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (14 January 2019 - 12:04 PM)

I would go on to talk about that, but alas, that would spoil significant future story details about the accuser.

@  B-Fox : (14 January 2019 - 12:03 PM)

Shield Hero dared to have a male character falsely accused of rape, right?

@  B-Fox : (14 January 2019 - 12:02 PM)

At least now people will stop shitting on slice-of-life shows....

@  ▲ndrusi : (14 January 2019 - 12:01 PM)

listen just because it has shield in its name does not mean you need to ally with it

@  ▲ndrusi : (14 January 2019 - 12:01 PM)

oh good lord

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (14 January 2019 - 12:00 PM)

In fact, the Shield Hero series does not portray slavery as a good thing nor keep the initial slave characters down for the count.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (14 January 2019 - 12:00 PM)

If you're referring to The Rising of the Shield Hero, the backlash from some Western fans is misaimed, IMO.

@  Pennpenn : (14 January 2019 - 11:59 AM)

I wish I was more surprised that "slavery apologetics" is a thing. Still disgusted.

@  ▲ndrusi : (14 January 2019 - 11:53 AM)

But surely we all know the best isekai is Captain N.

@  ▲ndrusi : (14 January 2019 - 11:49 AM)

This morning I saw one of my friends express disbelief at having an opportunity to say "yet another slavery apologist isekai"

@  Lancer : (14 January 2019 - 11:21 AM)

Although recently they explicably acquire a harem by purchasing them as slaves, which makes it that much worse

@  Lancer : (14 January 2019 - 11:21 AM)

I think what people hate is the modern trend of isekai taking place in generic-ass fantasy settings with bland, oft-overpowered male protagonists that inexplicably acquire a harem.

@  Pennpenn : (14 January 2019 - 11:07 AM)

Does Kingdom Hearts count? On the one hand it's a serial world hopping adventure, on the other hand all the worlds are contained within the same overworld that the characters have always been in, just unaware of.

Photo
- - - - -

Quentin Tarantino's Star Trek

56 replies to this topic

#1 Teufel

Teufel

Who wants to rock forever?

• Supporter
  • 5842 posts
  • Faction::Decepticon

Posted 08 December 2017 - 04:08 PM

Link

Earlier this week, news broke that Pulp Fiction filmmaker Quentin Tarantino would be joining the Star Trek franchise via an idea he pitched to J.J. Abrams. The news sounded almost too strange to be true, and that perhaps any moment we’d learn a mistake had been made. But now even more details about Tarantino’s Star Trek have arrived, including the revelation that the film will be R-Rated, per Tarantino’s stipulations. In addition to this news, The Revenant writer Mark L. Smith has emerged as the frontrunner to pen the script.

Link

Earlier this week, it was reported that Tarantino has pitched an idea for an R-rated Star Trek movie, with an eye to direct. Now, one of the series’ most iconic captains is weighing in on the possibility — and whether Jean-Luc Picard may make an appearance.

“People are always saying to me, ‘Will you be Jean-Luc Picard again?’ And I cannot think that would be possible, but there are ways in which something like that might come about,” Stewart told The Hollywood Reporter at the Dubai International Film Festival. “But one of my dreams is to work with Tarantino. I admire his work so much and to be in a Tarantino film would give me so much satisfaction. So, if he is going to direct something to do with Star Trek and there was the possibility of dear old Jean-Luc showing up again and doing that for Mr. Tarantino, I would embrace it.”

Hell yes!

Can't wait for Samuel L. Jackson to have been in both Star Wars and Trek.

"Does Captain Picard look like a b*tch? Then why you tryin' to hug him like a b*tch?"

#2 Shadewing

Shadewing

Evil faces a Black Night

• Supporter
  • 35903 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 08 December 2017 - 04:27 PM

If it gets us more Picard, I'm totally on board with it. 

3DS Friend Code: 0387-9040-3532

Twitch Channel

Youtube Replays

VOTE for what I play on 8/30!

Friday: Sonic Generations - Sunday: Transformers WFC - Tuesday: Little Inferno

#3 Lancer

Lancer
  • Citizen
  • 24536 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 08 December 2017 - 04:37 PM

oh hug no

#4 SHIELD Agent 47

SHIELD Agent 47

Skull Leader

• Retired Staff
  • 8529 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 08 December 2017 - 04:43 PM

Well now. This could be interesting.

遊び終わ。- ブレラ・スターン少佐西暦2059年

Visit the Transformers Wiki and the IDW Hasbro Wiki!

#5 D.M

D.M
  • Citizen
  • 2898 posts

Posted 08 December 2017 - 04:49 PM

#6 Rust

Rust

Slightly Off

• Supporter
  • 44602 posts

Posted 08 December 2017 - 05:57 PM

Numbers 24:17

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. Plato

#7 NICK NEMESIS

NICK NEMESIS

Www.scatterville.com

• Supporter
  • 16551 posts

Posted 08 December 2017 - 06:42 PM

Do people still say the n-word in the 23 century?
Http://www.scatterville.com

#8 Ms Virion

Ms Virion

Not saying it was the First Ones but...

• Retired Staff
  • 18553 posts

Posted 08 December 2017 - 06:44 PM

LMAO. I'm genuinely enjoying the divisive reaction this is getting from one post to another.

#9 ChessPieceFace

ChessPieceFace

I have approximate knowledge of many things

• Retired Staff
  • 22877 posts

Posted 08 December 2017 - 06:57 PM

Yeah, I've been a Tarantino fan for a couple of decades now, and a Star Trek (well, TOS and TNG) fan for longer, so this seems pretty great to me. Injecting a real auteur filmmaker into what is now a by-the-numbers franchise is an exciting experiment. I love the idea that Tarantino has to work within the constraints of an existing sandbox, and I love the idea that a Star Trek movie will be created by someone with a completely unique and seemingly incongruent creative vision. Whatever else this turns out to be, it's going to be fascinating.

Also, Patrick Stewart would love to work with Tarantino and would return as Picard to do it, so um yes please.

#10 Rust

Rust

Slightly Off

• Supporter
  • 44602 posts

Posted 08 December 2017 - 08:17 PM

For real. I may not like every Tarantino film, but I like Tarantino's directorial style and I think that unique vision would give Trek a much needed shot in the arm when it came to storytelling.

At the very least, we'll be treated to a film that isn't trying to re-create Wrath of Khan beat for beat.

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. Plato

#11 Devcon

Devcon

*STAB STAB STABBITY STAB*

• Retired Staff
  • 11772 posts
  • Faction::RIBFIR

Posted 08 December 2017 - 08:24 PM

-You know how they call 'Romulan Ale' in Romulan?
-They call it "kali-fal"
-Kali-fal. How do they call it in Klingon?
-I dunno I didn't go to Qo'noS...
Stand back, I gotta practice my stabbin'. HA-HAAAA!

#12 Copper Bezel

Copper Bezel

Ruined boobs for all of us.

• Administrator
  • 47945 posts
  • Faction::Equestrian

Posted 08 December 2017 - 08:29 PM

Yeah, I've been a Tarantino fan for a couple of decades now, and a Star Trek (well, TOS and TNG) fan for longer, so this seems pretty great to me. Injecting a real auteur filmmaker into what is now a by-the-numbers franchise is an exciting experiment. 

Yes, this, a thousand times. Star Trek and Tarantino are both wonderful things, it's almost impossible for me to imagine the two intersecting, and yet it's guaranteed to challenge them both in interesting ways. And they're both established brands that don't honestly have a lot to lose if the experiment doesn't pan. 

Shouldn't gravity be doing something?

Of course there's a figure of Rodimus as some kind of animal girl. Why would I be surprised by this?

#13 Detour

Detour

STR10 DEX7 CON12 INT10 WIS8 CHA1

• Supporter
  • 20483 posts

Posted 08 December 2017 - 08:41 PM

Yeah Tarantino is about as ill-suited to Star Trek as Michael Bay is to Doctor Who.

You're far too young to be this bitter and angry at the world....

I'm reading that with Roy's voice. Heck, I read everything you post in a laconic Irish accent.

#14 Eva Sigma

Eva Sigma

Back to my old demonic ways

• Citizen
  • 29961 posts
  • Faction::Lesbian Ninja

Posted 08 December 2017 - 08:47 PM

Are you kidding? Michael Bay's Doctor Who would be incredible!
QUOTE(Contrary Mary @ Jul 10 2010, 09:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
boobs count as accessories.

QUOTE(Dvandom @ Oct 26 2010, 05:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Unless you are kaiju-sized, a shinkansen is not a sex toy.

---Dave
3DS Friend Code: 4613 9837 2957 (It's new! Re-add me! Give me your Friend Codes!)

#15 Copper Bezel

Copper Bezel

• Administrator
  • 47945 posts

Posted 08 December 2017 - 08:48 PM

Um but Tarantino is good though? Bay is ill-suited to everything because he doesn't make movies. Whether you're a fan or not, the thing that Tarantino does, he does very well.

Edit: And yes, I recognize that there's a thing Bay does, and that he also does that thing very well, too. But it's a thing that very infamously does not translate into a cohesive product as a film. So it's not a very appropriate comparison, even as hyperbole (since the part that does line up ... isn't an exaggeration.) 

Edited by Copper Bezel, 08 December 2017 - 09:00 PM.

Of course there's a figure of Rodimus as some kind of animal girl. Why would I be surprised by this?

#16 Detour

Detour

• Supporter
  • 20483 posts

Posted 08 December 2017 - 09:01 PM

Bay is ill-suited to everything because he doesn't make movies.

The Rock and Bad Boys aren't movies? Just because he ruined forever all your childhoods or whatever the cry is nowadays?

Hell have you even watched Pain & Gain?

The Transformers films are as they are because that is what people going in to see "Transformers" will want to see. Lots of kasplodey and over the topness. MTMTE-style minutae isn't going to pack the theatres.

Whether you're a fan or not, the thing that Tarantino does, he does very well.

Ok but because you're not a fan you get to be dismissive of another director?

I'm reading that with Roy's voice. Heck, I read everything you post in a laconic Irish accent.

#17 Teufel

Teufel

Who wants to rock forever?

• Supporter
  • 5842 posts
  • Faction::Decepticon

Posted 08 December 2017 - 09:05 PM

I grew up watching Tarantino. I grew up watching Star Trek. While I had no interest in the Abrams era and haven't watched those flicks I've still loved Tarantino's recent work. So for me it's all upside. I'm not invested in Star Trek anymore so if he crashes and burns like a separated saucer making an emergency landing - no loss.

And Tarantino's got such a filmography that the jokes are endless.

CUT TO:

INT. LOUNGE

An excited Ensign Clarence is chatting up a green-skinned alien in a low cut dress (are there any other kind?) as they both sit at the bar nursing some synthehol.

Clarence: "He couldn't give a hug about nothing except rockin' and rollin', living fast, dying young, and leaving a good-looking corpse. I'd watch holovids of Captain Kirk and I'd want to be him so bad. Kirk looked good. Now I ain't gay but Kirk was prettier than most women, y'now? Most women. You know, I've always said if I had to hug a guy, now I mean had to if my life depended on it... I'd hug Kirk."

Alien Babe: "I'd hug Kirk."

Clarence: "Really?"

Alien Babe: "Well, when he was alive. Not now."

Clarence: "Well, I don't blame you. So... so we'd both hug Kirk."

#18 Rust

Rust

Slightly Off

• Supporter
  • 44602 posts

Posted 08 December 2017 - 09:11 PM

To put my reaction in another way...

#19 Copper Bezel

Copper Bezel

• Administrator
  • 47945 posts

Posted 08 December 2017 - 09:15 PM

The Rock and Bad Boys aren't movies? Just because he ruined forever all your childhoods or whatever the cry is nowadays?

Hell have you even watched Pain & Gain?

The Transformers films are as they are because that is what people going in to see "Transformers" will want to see. Lots of kasplodey and over the topness. MTMTE-style minutae isn't going to pack the theatres.

Oh, so you weren't implying "lol bayformers, now do my little pony with moar explosions" with the Doctor Who comment, and just hadn't considered that that would be the inevitable way it would be read? So many layers of nuance and careful consideration I missed in your quippy one-line dismissal. It sure isn't like Bay has an established track record for approaching franchise properties and Tarantino doesn't. I eagerly await your measured insights into why Tarantino is unlikely to be successful in a one-off franchise property experiment that can't help being a Shin Godzilla-like "what if this franchise itself existed in an alternate universe" on the face of it.

Edit: More seriously, I don't see any productive direction for this line of argument and don't intend to continue it, but that's at least in part because, you know, I didn't see a productive direction for discussion from the original line of objection, either. Tarantino is definitely not going to ruin any more childhoods with this experiment than Bay has with his franchise. 

Edited by Copper Bezel, 08 December 2017 - 09:31 PM.

#20 Detour

Detour

• Supporter
  • 20483 posts

Posted 08 December 2017 - 09:36 PM

Oh, so you weren't implying "lol bayformers, now do my little pony with moar explosions" with the Doctor Who comment

Nope.

Just that Bay does visual spectacles that revel in excess, which isn't what Doctor Who is about.

Tarantino apes 70s movie stylings, uses the f-word a lot and has that scene where two people have a chat while one bleeds to death, and that's not what Star Trek's about.

It sure isn't like Bay has an established track record for approaching franchise properties and Tarantino doesn't.

No but Bay's definitely shown a lot more flexibility in his film career and Tarantino just... does the same. And the same. And the same.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users