Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  Nevermore : (17 January 2019 - 08:19 PM)

I'm also only reading the trades. So I'm still missing... two volumes that are currently only available as hardcovers? Three?

@  Trpodeca : (17 January 2019 - 06:22 PM)

Astro City is great. Since I only read the trades, there probably won't be a big change for me.

@  ZakuConvoy : (17 January 2019 - 05:34 PM)

I have. Great series. Hopefully the transition to OGNs will be a smooth one.

@  Nevermore : (17 January 2019 - 07:20 AM)

Anyone here reading Kurt Busiek's Astro City?

@  Verity Carlo : (16 January 2019 - 01:12 PM)

https://sites.google...ations---part-1awwwww shit

@  Benbot : (16 January 2019 - 12:36 PM)

Remember the Noid? He steals pizzas!

@  Steevy Maximus : (16 January 2019 - 10:47 AM)

That said, the old "Nester" character from Nintendo Power IS owned by Nintendo, and I could see a homage in there

@  Steevy Maximus : (16 January 2019 - 10:46 AM)

Because technically DiC created the character, Nintendo does not own him.

@  Paladin : (16 January 2019 - 10:28 AM)

sidebar- why is "Captain N" not in Smash yet? that seems like such an easy option.

@  wonko the sane? : (16 January 2019 - 09:18 AM)

The 90's mario cartoons had exactly three character aspects to work with: fat, italian and plumber. He wasn't exactly wrenching pipes in every episode, so they had to do something...

@  TheMightyMol... : (16 January 2019 - 07:31 AM)

It's in another castle.

@  unluckiness : (16 January 2019 - 06:24 AM)

i HOpE sHe mADe LotSA SPAGHETTI

@  Locoman : (16 January 2019 - 06:17 AM)

Mario, wherever you are, HEEEEEEEELP!

@  unluckiness : (16 January 2019 - 06:07 AM)

That's Mama Luigi to you, Mario *wheeze*

@  Pennpenn : (16 January 2019 - 02:24 AM)

It's too hot here.

@  Echowarrior : (15 January 2019 - 11:03 PM)

I liked the Super Mario Brothers Super Show the best myself.

@  Sabrblade : (15 January 2019 - 10:35 PM)

There's always the three Mario cartoons DiC made back in the 80s.

@  wonko the sane? : (15 January 2019 - 09:48 PM)

So they could make a show that everyone would scream was an adventure time knockoff? I get what you're saying, but I can't see it being well received.

@  Sean Whitmore : (15 January 2019 - 08:47 PM)

The fact that Adventure Time was on the air for 8 years and at no point did Nintendo hand the creators a large sack of money and say, "Please make a Mario thing for us" will forever anger me.

@  wonko the sane? : (15 January 2019 - 07:03 PM)

There was so much awesome put into design and conception of the super mario bros. movie, and it didn't even need the branding: but it wouldn't have made it to the screen without the branding.

@  TM2-Megatron : (15 January 2019 - 06:56 PM)

Many aspects of it have stuck in my memory, though. The boots, the devolution ray, the aesthetic of the dinosaur city

@  TM2-Megatron : (15 January 2019 - 06:55 PM)

I had no idea there was another Mario Bros. movie coming out, though. Doubt it'll top the first one, it was just so bizarre

@  TM2-Megatron : (15 January 2019 - 06:55 PM)

They already act a bit like minions; they just aren't stupid

@  wonko the sane? : (15 January 2019 - 05:35 PM)

The trouble is: I honestly can't decide if making them minions would be better or worse than the continuously shrill voices they've used for the last 20 years.

@  Paladin : (15 January 2019 - 05:27 PM)

hope everyone's ready for Toads to look, act & sound like the Minions forever...

@  Lancer : (15 January 2019 - 04:54 PM)

I mean, considering Illumination is making the new Mario movie, Super Mario Bros. 1993 won't be the worst Mario movie anymore

@  Sabrblade : (15 January 2019 - 04:36 PM)

"Sir, your pizza's here." "Not now!"

@  wonko the sane? : (15 January 2019 - 04:28 PM)

Actually, yeah. I think I need to watch it again. Great movie.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (15 January 2019 - 03:44 PM)

It's a fun movie with amazing sets. As long as you don't try to connect it to anything else Mario, it's fine.

@  TM2-Megatron : (15 January 2019 - 03:38 PM)

Damn, I haven't thought about the Super Mario Bros. feature film in forever. Need to watch it again, soon; I can only imagine it gets better with time.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (15 January 2019 - 03:21 PM)

Re:Zero is a fantastic series.

@  ▲ndrusi : (15 January 2019 - 03:10 PM)

Yeah it's not a bad concept, it's just that lately the term is associated with "I, a Loser Everyman, Woke Up In a Generic Fantasy Setting Where I'm Super Special So Now Girls Orbit Me"

@  Sabrblade : (15 January 2019 - 12:59 PM)

So too is the old Super Mario Bros movie

@  wonko the sane? : (15 January 2019 - 12:28 PM)

I went and looked up the term "isekai"... that's not actually as bad as I thought it was going to be.

@  ▲ndrusi : (15 January 2019 - 12:19 PM)

I'm not sure, but the cartoon segments of The Super Mario Bros. Super Show are.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (15 January 2019 - 12:12 PM)

Wait. A. Minute. Is Blaster Master an isekai?

@  MEDdMI : (15 January 2019 - 08:49 AM)

*Dragon Slave*

@  Xellos : (15 January 2019 - 06:22 AM)

I used to use a pic like that as my avatar for years, but that... is a secret.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (15 January 2019 - 02:07 AM)

Is Flatland an isekai?

@  MEDdMI : (14 January 2019 - 11:16 PM)

@Xellos Every time I see you post, I picture Xellos' infuriating smug grin and finger waggling with the "sore wa hi*mi*tsu*desu <3"

@  Waspinator : (14 January 2019 - 09:50 PM)

The Last Starfighter is also one of those

@  Cybersnark : (14 January 2019 - 09:28 PM)

Astronaut gets shot through a wornhole and ends up on a living starship full of escaped alien prisoners.

@  Cybersnark : (14 January 2019 - 09:28 PM)

I realized a few months ago that Farscape is a sci-fi-based Isekai.

@  Sabrblade : (14 January 2019 - 09:03 PM)

The Thor movies and Enchanted, as well.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (14 January 2019 - 08:45 PM)

@xellos We get to many of those in Hollywood movies.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (14 January 2019 - 08:13 PM)

Re:Creators!

@  Xellos : (14 January 2019 - 07:47 PM)

There is also Aesthetica of a Rogue Hero, where people regularly get summoned to a fantasy world, then eventually sent back with their accumulated powers (and the main character smuggles the demon lord's daugher by his request, which is a no-no)

@  Waspinator : (14 January 2019 - 07:23 PM)

We need more inverse isekais, like The Devil is a Part-Timer

@  ▲ndrusi : (14 January 2019 - 04:11 PM)

I feel like Tron is pushing it but I can't actually come up with an argument to that effect

@  Pennpenn : (14 January 2019 - 03:21 PM)

To Arazyr- I don't see why it wouldn't be.

Photo
- - - - -

Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom

188 replies to this topic

#1 Powered Convoy

Powered Convoy

Skywarp Connoisseur

• Retired Staff
  • 63716 posts
  • Faction::RIRFIB

Posted 04 December 2017 - 11:57 AM

ACItEK8.png

#2 unluckiness

unluckiness

WARGARBARBL

• Citizen
  • 17839 posts
  • Faction::Minicon

Posted 05 December 2017 - 04:55 AM

Even teasers have teasers now. Ugh

pDHhVB1.jpg

#3 2019

Merciless.

• Citizen
  • 42884 posts

Posted 05 December 2017 - 08:15 AM

Can't wait to see some poor lady get brutally killed by dinosaurs in a really cruel way again.

PM me if you're bored!

#4 Powered Convoy

Powered Convoy

Skywarp Connoisseur

• Retired Staff
  • 63716 posts
  • Faction::RIRFIB

Posted 05 December 2017 - 09:33 AM

Can't wait to see some poor lady get brutally killed by dinosaurs in a really cruel way again.

Poor Lena Luthor.

ACItEK8.png

#5 TheMightyMollusk

TheMightyMollusk

Heavy Metal never dies

• Supporter
  • 43082 posts
  • Faction::Unicron's Spawn

Posted 05 December 2017 - 12:38 PM

Oh wow, I never would've guessed that this dinosaur monster movie franchise would have dinosaur monsters in it.

#6 PiratedTVPro

PiratedTVPro

Quoth Akitsu, "NEVERMORE!"

• Retired Staff
  • 14495 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 05 December 2017 - 01:01 PM

Even teasers have teasers now. Ugh

You'll notice there are no more "teaser" trailers. NATO (National Association of Theater Owners) changed their marketing guidelines, asking studios to stop releasing teaser trailers so early. So now we get "trailer teasers" instead of "teaser trailers". </movienerd>

Yep.

#7 Lancer

Lancer
  • Citizen
  • 24555 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 05 December 2017 - 10:50 PM

What do you mean "again?" Mosasaurus and Pteranodon weren't dinosaurs, dammit!

Edited by Jetstream C-18, 05 December 2017 - 10:51 PM.

#8 2019

Merciless.

• Citizen
  • 42884 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 12:27 AM

I wonder if the park had a bunch of staff whose entire job was just to go around correcting people about that.

PM me if you're bored!

#9 Confuzor

Confuzor

They put em in Smash Bros!!!!

• Supporter
  • 7611 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 01:08 AM

I wonder if the park had a bunch of staff whose entire job was just to go around correcting people about that.

"Welcome... to Pedantic Park"

#10 Maximus Ambus

Maximus Ambus
  • Citizen
  • 6139 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 03:48 AM

Lets have another man screaming in terror as Tyrannosaurs tear apart his car and then each have a piece of him.

Or a man thrown around and then stomped on by a large Spinosaur.

Them's the dangers when working with ancient saurians that weigh tons and you're on their food chain.

Edited by Whirl Maximus, 06 December 2017 - 03:51 AM.

14424580661_11292a86a0_n.jpg

#11 2019

Merciless.

• Citizen
  • 42884 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 04:00 AM

Damn, that's a false equivalence if I've ever seen one.

PM me if you're bored!

#12 Rust

Rust

Slightly Off

• Supporter
  • 44614 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 06 December 2017 - 04:18 AM

"Spared no expense."

Lets have another man screaming in terror as Tyrannosaurs tear apart his car and then each have a piece of him.

Them's the dangers when working with ancient saurians that weigh tons and you're on their food chain.

Not really her point. It's not the fact a woman brutally got killed by dinosaurs that's the issue...it's the fact the death was lingered on in a manner more akin to a pseudo-snuff film then how the Jurassic films have generally portrayed the deaths.

Numbers 24:17

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. Plato

#13 Maximus Ambus

Maximus Ambus
  • Citizen
  • 6139 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 04:40 AM

Not really her point. It's not the fact a woman brutally got killed by dinosaurs that's the issue...it's the fact the death was lingered on in a manner more akin to a pseudo-snuff film then how the Jurassic films have generally portrayed the deaths.

And that was my point too, these films tend to have unglamorous deaths in contrast to beauty shots. The second film alone had more then a few prolonged gruesome deaths like the one I mentioned, there were others at the hands of the male T Rex and Compys. Nowadays people would kick off if they dared show or imply anything like the second one did with a little girl being mauled off screen.

The next one's about a volcano erupting on the island, and that is not going to be an easy ride with lava, ash clouds and panicked dinosaurs in the mix.

Edited by Whirl Maximus, 06 December 2017 - 04:56 AM.

14424580661_11292a86a0_n.jpg

#14 Rust

Rust

Slightly Off

• Supporter
  • 44614 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 06 December 2017 - 05:02 AM

And that was my point too, these films tend to have unglamorous deaths in contrast to beauty shots. The second film alone had more then a few prolonged gruesome deaths like the one I mentioned, there were others at the hands of the male T Rex and Compys. Nowadays people would kick off if they dared show or imply anything like the second one did with a little girl being mauled off screen.

Except your examples all lasted a few seconds at most and were not focused on closely. The poor gal in Jurassic World got a minute's worth of terror, and the camera was zoomed in on her reactions to her situation.

For your examples to work, the scene in the second movie where the T-Rexs split the guy down the middle shouldn't have happened at a pull back shot, but we should have had a close up on the guy's face as they ripped him apart.

Numbers 24:17

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. Plato

#15 Lancer

Lancer
  • Citizen
  • 24555 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 06 December 2017 - 09:34 AM

The only part of World I really liked was the T. rex fight at the end. Largely because I always hear the "I'M A MOTHERhugING T. REX!" song in my head when I watch it.

#16 TheMightyMollusk

TheMightyMollusk

Heavy Metal never dies

• Supporter
  • 43082 posts
  • Faction::Unicron's Spawn

Posted 06 December 2017 - 11:16 AM

I wonder if they have a sign somewhere asking people to stop telling them how many of their animals aren't even from the Jurassic period.

#17 Automan2000

Automan2000

Liberati tutumet ex infernis

• Supporter
  • 4439 posts
  • Faction::Cannonball's Pirate Crew

Posted 06 December 2017 - 03:17 PM

Except your examples all lasted a few seconds at most and were not focused on closely. The poor gal in Jurassic World got a minute's worth of terror, and the camera was zoomed in on her reactions to her situation.

For your examples to work, the scene in the second movie where the T-Rexs split the guy down the middle shouldn't have happened at a pull back shot, but we should have had a close up on the guy's face as they ripped him apart.

Yeah that was probably the biggest problem with Jurassic World. It was the kind of death scene you would give to the main villain of the movie and not some supporting character that did nothing in the movie to deserve that fate. 

Now if that had happened to Vincent D'Onofrio's character it would have been a lot less unnecessarily disturbing,  

#18 wonko the sane?

wonko the sane?

Oh dear lord I am bored...

• Citizen
  • 40699 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 03:19 PM

Unnecessarily disturbing is about all hollywood has anymore. They certainly don't have writing or original ideas.

#19 NightViper

NightViper

Ehhhhh...

• Retired Staff
  • 41789 posts
  • Faction::RIBFIR

Posted 06 December 2017 - 08:20 PM

There were a couple scenes where it felt like we were supposed to not like her... but we weren't ever told why or anything else that made us actually not like her. 

Doesn't make the death any better. But I do wonder if there was something else intended by the script there that didn't make it to the final cut. 

#20 Teufel

Teufel

Who wants to rock forever?

• Supporter
  • 5847 posts
  • Faction::Decepticon

Posted 06 December 2017 - 09:06 PM

There were a couple scenes where it felt like we were supposed to not like her... but we weren't ever told why or anything else that made us actually not like her. 

Doesn't make the death any better. But I do wonder if there was something else intended by the script there that didn't make it to the final cut. 

She wasn't enthusiastic about looking after some obnoxious brats.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users