Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  Xellos : (14 November 2019 - 06:47 PM)

What type of vehicle does Boba Fett use for time travel? A Man-DeLorean.

@  TM2-Megatron : (14 November 2019 - 03:55 PM)

Admittedly, it's been a long time since I've been to a walk-in clinic, as I tend not to get sick (and the one time I do every 4-5 years, I prefer just riding it out at home), but the last time I went I'm pretty sure you could just show up, no appointment. It may be different in Quebec,though

@  Nevermore : (14 November 2019 - 02:36 PM)

One thing to note about health insurance in Germany is that we have a two-class system: mandatory health insurance is basically the economy class, while private health insurance is the business class.

@  Nevermore : (14 November 2019 - 02:32 PM)

My local doctor is actually a shared office with several doctors where you will get randomly assigned to one of the doctors available that day.

@  Nevermore : (14 November 2019 - 02:30 PM)

Also, employers are required by law to cover part of their employees' health insurance fees, so I only have to pay my part.

@  Nevermore : (14 November 2019 - 02:28 PM)

Basic examinations and sick notes (known as "work-inability certificates" in Germany) for the employer are covered by our health insurances by default.

@  TheMightyMol... : (14 November 2019 - 12:02 PM)

Around here, we can go to a walk-in clinic whenever, but might have to wait in the queue until there's a doctor available, which can take hours on a busy day. And then hope our insurance will cover anything.

@  wonko the sane? : (14 November 2019 - 07:38 AM)

There actually are a good number of clinics around here: but the walk ins require an appointment (what?) and are only done once a week. IF you can get an appointment, you see a doctor usually within 40 minutes, but good luck getting the appointment.

@  Nevermore : (14 November 2019 - 03:35 AM)

Depending on the day.

@  Nevermore : (14 November 2019 - 03:35 AM)

We have family doctors (called "house doctors") with regular office hours where you may need an hour or two of waiting time.

@  TM2-Megatron : (14 November 2019 - 12:50 AM)

Two weeks? That seems a little long; are there not a lot of walk-in clinics around you?

@  wonko the sane? : (13 November 2019 - 07:01 PM)

Does germany make it quick and easy to see a doctor too? Cause an emergency doctor visit can take two weeks out here, and an emergency ROOM visit can take 18-24 hours.

@  Nevermore : (13 November 2019 - 06:43 PM)

(Good thing is, under German law, if you call in sick during your vacation and see a doctor immediately, you get to keep your vacation days.)

@  Nevermore : (13 November 2019 - 06:42 PM)

Too bad. My plans wee to do two more overtime hours before having my last day of vacation for the year on Friday. Oh well.

@  Nevermore : (13 November 2019 - 06:41 PM)

So I'm currently on medical leave for a particularly stupid reason: Burned my back with a hot-water bag while sleeping last night. Though the doctor said I'm hardly the first person to have this happen to them.

@  Patch : (13 November 2019 - 06:11 PM)

Just a particularly odious example of the 90s era of depicting transgender women as either the subject of crude humor, or "Jerry Springer" material.

@  Ashley : (13 November 2019 - 04:55 PM)

I think Ace Ventura legit contributed to me spending years in self denial. I will never be ok with Jim Carrey.

@  Benbot : (13 November 2019 - 01:22 PM)

I thought he since changed his tune.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (13 November 2019 - 12:51 PM)

Jim Carry Paladin?

@  Maximus Ambus : (13 November 2019 - 12:22 PM)

Don't doubt what he can do. Sonic the Hedgehog!

@  Paladin : (13 November 2019 - 11:51 AM)

not giving a dime to a transphobic antivaxxer.

@  wonko the sane? : (13 November 2019 - 11:25 AM)

It'll be a terrible movie if jim carrey phones it in. Otherwise it should be decent.

@  Paladin : (13 November 2019 - 10:45 AM)

sonics' still gonna be a terrible movie but at least they whined loud enough to make him look passable for a 2-minute trailer. "yay."

@  ▲ndrusi : (13 November 2019 - 10:37 AM)

But of course to annoying people there's no such thing as different decisions made for different reasons, there is only "I like it so it's right" and "I don't like it so it's wrong."

@  ▲ndrusi : (13 November 2019 - 10:35 AM)

Even if we pretend it's objective truth that they were both bad, then they were bad in very different ways.

@  ▲ndrusi : (13 November 2019 - 10:33 AM)

Sonic's previous movie design looked genuinely bad. The Transformers '07 designs just looked insufficiently like what certain loud and obnoxious parts of the fandom think Transformers are required to always look like.

@  Otaku : (13 November 2019 - 08:50 AM)

Um... Purple Monkey Dishwasher?

@  TheMightyMol... : (13 November 2019 - 08:25 AM)

Do we really need to have Every Movie Transformer Thread Ever in the Squawkbox?

@  Bass X0 : (13 November 2019 - 08:13 AM)

Sure it made money but that doesn’t mean it has appealing character designs. Lot of god awful fugly faces in the Transformers movies.

@  Otaku : (12 November 2019 - 08:25 PM)

@Liege My issue with Transformers (2007) were elements I thought were unnecessary.  I know it was supposed to just be a joke, but I didn't ever need to hear about "Sam's Happy Time". >.> Which, being in awe of the first "live action" TF-film, didn't even register until I'd already purchased and watched it on DVD a few times (after seeing it in theaters 3 times).

@  Liege : (12 November 2019 - 08:22 PM)

For all the Bayisms in the 07 movie, it was tempered by Spielberg as producer. Designs aside it was an enjoyable popcorn blockbuster about a boy and his first car who happens to be an alien from another planet. They sequels are just Bay going unchecked after he proved how much bank he could bring in.

@  TM2-Megatron : (12 November 2019 - 07:12 PM)

I didn't find the designs in the '07 movie to be that bad, personally. What got really offputting was how Cybertronians in general become such huge a-holes in the later films; the designs were very much secondary to their horrible personalities

@  Sabrblade : (12 November 2019 - 06:59 PM)

And yet, Transformers still broke the bank at the box office, opened up the brand to a whole new generation of fans, shot the brand up to mainstream appeal, and enabled all kinds of new collector-oriented lines and other avenues to come about. Not saying Sonic's movie will do the same for his series, but the 2007 TF movie certainly did more good than harm.

@  Bass X0 : (12 November 2019 - 06:09 PM)

Paramount changed Sonic due to fan backlash but refused to redo Transformers 2007 with new cgi appearances based on their classic forms everyone’s knows and loves, and can relate to. Trailer 1 Sonic is as appealing a design as 2007 Bumblebee...

@  TheMightyMol... : (12 November 2019 - 02:14 PM)

I don't. They're a pain in the ass to repair.

@  Benbot : (12 November 2019 - 12:48 PM)

I wish car companies would bring back flip up headlights

@  TheMightyMol... : (12 November 2019 - 09:07 AM)

Wear a hazmat suit. It's Walmart, they're used to weird.

@  wonko the sane? : (12 November 2019 - 07:54 AM)

2 inches of snow on the side of the house, 2 feet of snow on the deck. I hate this winter already.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (11 November 2019 - 11:33 PM)

But that requires actually going IN walmart. ;P

@  Liege : (11 November 2019 - 11:22 PM)

Pro tip for anyone hunting the for the Walmart 35th exclusives: try the seasonal aisles rather than the toy section. I found the display with all the exclusives and a bunch of the reflector wave practically untouched amongst those novelty arcade machines and a bunch of frozen merch.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (11 November 2019 - 09:45 PM)

Although that does spark an idea for me. In a new continuity, Censere the Necrobot could be the herald Cityspeaker for Quintessa the Necrotitan just to play on their monikers utilizing Greek for dead, nekrós.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (11 November 2019 - 09:26 PM)

I hate to burst your bubble, Maximus Ambus, but 90% of things said in IDW turned out to be amnesiac half-rememberings courtesy of Adaptus or outright lies courtesy of Shockwave.

@  Jenny : (11 November 2019 - 08:54 AM)

The toy's designed to look like Wipe-Out, anyway.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (11 November 2019 - 08:14 AM)

Didn't they try to retcon that into a figure of speech because that connection went against everybody else's long-term plans?

@  Maximus Ambus : (11 November 2019 - 03:53 AM)

There's still some connection given Trypticon was created by Mortilus.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (11 November 2019 - 12:12 AM)

Yeah that toy doesn't exactly look like Necrobot.

@  Sabrblade : (10 November 2019 - 08:24 PM)

But.... it's just "Necro" not "Necrobot".

@  TheMightyMol... : (10 November 2019 - 05:10 PM)

But why does the God of Death need a giant space kaiju? Wait, never mind, answered my own question.

@  Maximus Ambus : (10 November 2019 - 02:15 PM)

Yowza I just realised Titans Trypticon comes with Necro AKA Censere AKA Mortilus.

@  Nevermore : (10 November 2019 - 01:15 PM)

I... think the best equivalent would actually be the British "There is room for improvement".

Photo
- - - - -

We all get one of these, right? Prime Re-watch and Sometimes Scribbles

Ask thread AMA Noideaforaname

• Please log in to reply
93 replies to this topic

#21 Noideaforaname

Noideaforaname

Spooking Anybody

• Citizen
  • 2727 posts

Posted 10 December 2017 - 08:08 PM

Partners

Best Starscream at his best!

I'm not sure how often he's actually lying to cover up schemes vs. being truthful but with an amazing eye for opportunity.

Megatron apparently saved Starscream from being crushed to death. Why? Who knows, doesn't seem like he needs him, and Airachnid immediately tattles on something he did... or didn't do, rather. Do the Decepticons just need a punching bag? Is it all an elaborate punishment? Whatever the case, the Nemesis has gotten really unpleasant...

Airachnid and Starscream pair up to look for the crashed ship Screamer neglected to report about (hmm...). He reveals that he was the one to kill Cliffjumper and Airachnid sounds rather impressed -- like *A* kill is a huge deal for Decepticons. Er, right.

They find the ship and Airachnid turns on the computers, immediately drawing the Autobots attention. Which Starscream just warned her about. Man, he is seriously the only Decepticon that knows what he's doing. The 'Bots arrive, Arcee immediately chases after Airachnid (criminey this is happening a lot), while Starscream surrenders to an optimistic Optimus. Hurray for a Prime with an olive branch!

Airacnhid finds the immobiliser and the Autobots give chase (Bee has a neat fake out move), with Arcee staying behind to watch Starscream so she doesn't fly into a fit of revenge. Just as it the two find some common ground, Starscream lets it slip he killed Cliffjumper and Arcee flies into a fit of revenge. And OH GOD Starscream's caught Megatron's eye problems. What the hell, animators? Is this why the Autobots have exposed eyeballs?? Do the Decepticons have corrective lenses that weirdly refract their eyes or something???

Well anyways, they fight and Arcee is about to decapitate Screamer, but lets him go because Bumblebee shows up with sad puppy dog eyes (actually, Bumblebee's eyes are kinda weird here, too, with the 'pupils' turning on and off from scene to scene). So Starscream scampers off and the 'Bots return to base, where Ratchet calls Arcee "resilient for a two-wheeler"... which sounds kinda wrong. Like, I assume the idea is that it's a miracle someone could survive getting stabbed by nails as big as they are, but it sort of comes across like Ratchet's prejudiced.

Megatron recognizes how valuable Starscream is! ...or at least what Starscream knows is. Not that is really explains why Megs kept sparing him, but it's an interesting truth about Screamer that rarely gets brought up.

And Starscream goes off to do his own thing, hurray! But not in this season, aw...

#22 Noideaforaname

Noideaforaname

Spooking Anybody

• Citizen
  • 2727 posts

Posted 11 December 2017 - 10:09 PM

TMI

Miko decides to run off into danger AGAIN. Getting Bulkhead into serious trouble AGAIN. Oy, it's not like she actually enjoys the danger she always gets into. Plus, it's too bad the writers couldn't adapt these plots for the other Autobots/humans, give them some development.

They muck around with a data cylinder that fires off it's data as a fail-safe directly into Bulk's head. That... seems highly exploitable. Like the Decepticons absolutely would sacrifice one of their own to gain a living encyclopedia. Heck the Vehicons are practically designed for that purpose.

Bulkhead starts painting the formula for synthetic Energon, reminiscent of a similar scene in Revenge of the Fallen (kitten calendar kitten calendar kitten calendar kitten calendar kitten calendar kitten calendar) And they work in an old Simpsons joke, har-de-harhar! But he's slowly loosing his memories, a fact Ratchet tried sparing Miko because he's slowly coming around on these humans.

Miko takes Bulk to a monster truck arena to try and jog his memories, but Knock Out and Breakdown arrive yet somehow can't distinguish Bulkhead from all the big wheeled monster trucks. Huh. They eventually do locate him and

TMI-KnockOutpainted.jpg

OK, the episode is totally worth it now. :D

The data streams out of Bulkhead when Miko falls on him but not when Knock Out threatened to cut his head off. Huh. It registers all bots as "friendly" and the weird squishy organic alien as "threat", but still. Maybe it can't tell Bulkhead is anything other than a container?

I enjoyed this episode, but boy I did not notice how repetitive this show got this early.

"Innocent vehicles battling for the entertainment of human spectators? Bloodsport!"
"Yeah!"

Stronger, Faster

On this very special episode... HOO-AAAAhhhh!

Suddenly the bots are in dire need of Energon. It's... a rather strange development. As often as we've seen the Decepticons mine the stuff, the show's never really established anything about it. Are the 'Cons just breaking even? Have they been playing a war of attrition the entire time? Where HAVE the Autobots been getting their supply?

Ratchet makes synthetic energon using everything Bulkhead painted last ep and tests it on himself! The result is basically every anti-drug special ever, but somehow it manages to be one of the show's very best episodes.

"How's it hummin'?"

"It's all right! I'm an emergency vehicle!"

"Get melted, wheel-grinder!"
"Melted? Now there's a concept." *blowtorch!*

:D

'Roided Ratchet goes on the rampage, even decking Megatron in the face! ("Alright then.") 'Course, Megs just curbstomps him right after, ouch!

Ratch manages to smash the vial of synth-en so Knock Out can't use it (almost)... though somehow that huge pool of energon he bled out isn't usable? I guess maybe it's contaminated by the cave floor, while the container its purified.

The miner 'Cons that show up here are tiny. I thought they were literally just the standard Vehicon with paired visors but no, they're half the size!

And Breakdown's got the hots for Airachnid (not that it'd work out), which he's sharing with... some random miner? Huh.

So yeah, on of the show's bests, if not the entire franchise's.

HOO-AAAAhhhh!

#23 Noideaforaname

Noideaforaname

Spooking Anybody

• Citizen
  • 2727 posts

Posted 13 December 2017 - 11:48 PM

One Shall Fall; One Shall Rise

Things happen I guess

Out of nowhere we get some prophecy about planets and Unicron and whatnot, and well, so many cartoons nowadays are doing the slow burn/drip feed thing it makes this show feel really dated. ("you DO need to catch up on certain other, better cartoons, you know." shut up brain)

Megatron has something resembling a plan! Well, he goes crazy from Unicron, gathers up Dark Energon to try to revive him, promptly forgets that bit because Dark Energon's just spewing out everywhere, fights Optimus a little, tries to strike a deal with Unicron but fails, and teams up with the Autobots against Unicron because Megatron apparently wants to conquer Earth for some reason. Uh... huh...

Big reveal is, of course, Unicron is Earth! That's kinda neat. He's "transcended physical being", which is a handy way to have him do stuff without destroying the planet and sorta makes him a bit more... abstract, more than just a bigger robot. The result isn't all that remarkable, though, and John Noble isn't all that memorable.

Dark Energon pouring out of volcanoes seems like it should be noticed by people (or is that somehow part of the prophecy nonsense), although there IS a real-world phenomenon where lava can appear blue because of sulfur...

LA5x4Ra.jpg

Also, the Thirteen show up in a flashback! ....I forget how much we knew about them back then. Like, I want to say "nothing" but I remember people were making educated guesses, so? Granted looking at them now I can barely identify any of them...

Meanwhile there's an odd subplot where acting-commander Airachnid, quite rationally, decides to abandon their leader who's lost his mind and the planet that's about to explode into an eldritch devil. But Soundwave's smacks her down because, I dunno, loyalty or something. We get a flashback that shows he was one of Megatron's first followers, but there's just nothing to it. Was Soundwave oppressed by the old system on Cybertron? Is Soundwave Megatron's significant other? Is Soundwave the TRUE mastermind behind the cause and Megatron just a puppet figurehead? Does Soundwave just assume Megatron will fix everything?

*shrug*

(also during that flashback, we see Megatron(us) defeat some giant ass robot armadillo thing. What WAS that?!?!)
(Hmm, one of the Thirteen was some big doggie monster thing...)

And all throughout I just kept wondering...

Ow9yeiV.jpg

What did Starscream make of all this?

So that's Season One and boy the rewatch was NOT kind to my opinion on this show. It rekindled my love of Starscream (and to a lesser extent Knock Out and Ratchet), and I do appreciate seeing an Optimus that attempts the peaceful route no matter how many times he's blown off, but I dunno if I really want to sit through all 40 of the other episodes now. Especially if nobody's gonna comment, heh.

#24 Copper Bezel

Copper Bezel

Off Model.

• Supporter
  • 50333 posts
  • Faction::Equestrian

Posted 14 December 2017 - 01:33 AM

HAHA! Oh my gosh that's amazing. I feel like Starscream needs a drink to complete the picture.

Especially if nobody's gonna comment, heh.

Yeah, I'd have to like, rewatch it, too, for how much an impression it left on me. I'm doing a lot of nodding and "oh, I'd completely forgotten that was a thing" in reading your writeups. I remember the third season really being the point at which the main plot became watchably interesting, but it's still something I've only seen once and there are a lot of reasons it might have left an unwarranted favorable impression with me. 

Edited by Copper Bezel, 14 December 2017 - 01:33 AM.

Shouldn't gravity be doing something?

Of course there's a figure of Rodimus as some kind of animal girl. Why would I be surprised by this?

#25 NotVeryKnightly

NotVeryKnightly
  • Staff
  • 22899 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 14 December 2017 - 01:51 AM

I'm not sure what to say about individual episodes much of the time even when I remember the specifics.

#26 San of the Dead

San of the Dead

25% porn, 75% effluvial grime

• Citizen
  • 7640 posts

Posted 14 December 2017 - 04:37 AM

I hate this show
iwZtwfv.png

#27 Noideaforaname

Noideaforaname

Spooking Anybody

• Citizen
  • 2727 posts

Posted 14 December 2017 - 11:43 PM

HAHA! Oh my gosh that's amazing. I feel like Starscream needs a drink to complete the picture.

I knew I was forgetting something.

1FKKv6H.jpg

There we go!

So tomorrow Trollhunters gets a new season and Steven Universe has some new episodes, and I'm still behind on DuckTales and Star Vs..... so, uh, it might be a while before I get back to this one.

#28 Copper Bezel

Copper Bezel

Off Model.

• Supporter
  • 50333 posts

Posted 14 December 2017 - 11:47 PM

a34.png

It's perfect. Ohmygod. b36.png

Of course there's a figure of Rodimus as some kind of animal girl. Why would I be surprised by this?

#29 MEDdMI

MEDdMI

nom nom nom

• Supporter
  • 13897 posts

Posted 15 December 2017 - 09:59 PM

I'll confess that Prime was so-so for me, so I'm skimming your reviews. I love the art, though.

#30 Noideaforaname

Noideaforaname

Spooking Anybody

• Citizen
  • 2727 posts

Posted 18 December 2017 - 01:11 AM

Orion Pax

At this point Prime was no longer a contender for "best Transformers show"...

By using the Matrix against Unicron, Optimus looses all memory of being a Prime and reverts back to Orion Pax. He sees Megatron not as the evil warlord that he is but as his old mentor, and joins his side! Meanwhile, Jack becomes something of an honorary Prime and goes onto a quest to Vector Sigma, which is on dead old Cybertron.

... which all should be FASCINATING, especially since this is a three-parter, but NOPE. We manage to learn nothing about any of them, and the ending obliterates anything that might've happened anyways! Wow, what was even the goddamn point?

Orion Pax (who Peter doesn't even play any differently; you'd think he'd be 'looser') is welcomed into the Decepticon ranks, but immediately shoved into a tiny cubicle doing computer stuff. And Megatron and Soundwave's attempts at keeping him in the dark are atrocious. 'Wave erased the database of anything incriminating while Megs made up some story about Ratchet being a genocidal despot (heh), but then they switch gears and claim "Optimus Prime" (using Ultra Magnus' image) is the evil leader... which Orion quickly finds out it's all fake by doing computer stuff.

:drunk I -ugh- I dunno. These guys are Decepticons but they're so bad at deception. You'd think Megatron would use his presumed mentor status to, like, teach Orion his ways or something, maybe even try to take the Matrix while he's at it since he wanted to be a Prime and all. But no.

The idea of a medic somehow becoming mad with power is kind of interesting, though. It's not really a main villain type we see, is it? (there are bad guys with Dr. in their name, but not actual practicing medical doctors)

Also, Starscream!  :love  Despite being mostly played for laughs here, he's actually sorta competent. Sneaks aboard the Nemesis undetected, manages to escape mostly unscathed (actually, it's kinda implied this isn't his first trip, so there's that), and negotiates some medical care from the Autobots after nearly blowing the entire deal. Pretty impressive for a guy all on his own. Plus he unintentionally messed up Megatron's plans! Heheh.

His little bout with the air Vehicon makes me wish this show had more dogfights.

The Autobots concoct a plan to hijack the Decepticon Space Bridge to send Jack to Cybertron and OH GOD RATCHET YOUR FACE!!!! It's just NOT THERE!

iyxtUtZ.jpg

There's your Doctor of Doom!

Christ almighty.

So, uh... something something and Star Wars reference! And everyone's "oh shit no" reaction then Fowler's delayed "hug what did I just do" face and Breakdown's unexpected kindly reply! Alright, as much as I've been harping on this trilogy, this is actually one of my favorite moments from the series.

Jack gets to Cybertron and works his way to Vector Sigma -- which for some reason here is basically a backup to the Matrix. I thought it created new Transformer life? Well whatever, during this he is menaced by both a big old Insecticon and a swarm of Scraplets! So he sics the little creeps on the big one. Savage!
Then he gets back to Earth and blah, everything's back to how it was. Meh.

The space bridge is kept open for a damn long time. You'd think maybe Megatron would get tossed in and the controls smashed, but no. And the Autobots open another portal right next to it without any problems, no "shadowzoning" anyone. Hmm.

Random design observation: The Matrix of Leadership's got a shard of... er, Energon? in the center. An odd change from the usual sphere, although it makes for an interesting parallel with the chunk of Dark Energon in Megatron's chest.

#31 NOIP

NOIP

No One In Particular

• Citizen
  • 2259 posts

Posted 18 December 2017 - 11:15 PM

The show had many things going for it, not the least was Jack, the least annoying human sidekick since...well...ever, maybe.

I loved the idea of him using the scraplets against the Insecticon.
While you live, shine/ Have no grief at all/ Life exists only for a short while/ And time demands an end. Seikilos Epitaph

#32 Copper Bezel

Copper Bezel

Off Model.

• Supporter
  • 50333 posts

Posted 18 December 2017 - 11:28 PM

That Ratchet is so wonderful. Just - *kiss blowing noise*

#33 Noideaforaname

Noideaforaname

Spooking Anybody

• Citizen
  • 2727 posts

Posted 19 December 2017 - 12:55 PM

Jack's the least annoying, but that's not all that hard since Raf's that cliche god-tier hacker and Miko keeps blindly running off into danger --- actually, she hasn't these last few eps. Huh. Center of the world and an alien planet and she actually sits out.

#34 Noideaforaname

Noideaforaname

Spooking Anybody

• Citizen
  • 2727 posts

Posted 19 December 2017 - 11:21 PM

Operation Bumblebee

He finally gets a spotlight episode... but is quickly upstaged by Ratchet and Starscream! Which just means this is actually a decent watch.

Megatron finally gets something resembling direction. That is, he's looking for all the relics Orion located because... I dunno, defeat the Autobots? Eh. I don't need anything complex, just a clear motive. Megs just sort of reacts to things.

MECH tears out Bumblebee's t-cog, locking him in robot mode, unable to even deploy his guns. Huh. I wonder how a t-cog actually functions? Like is it a, well, cog that spins around and mechanically moves parts? Or is it more like a part of the nervous system that 'orders' parts to move? It apparently is also connected with scanning (and presumably generating) alt modes, and are irreplaceable "bio-mechanisms", so... hmm.

Bee understandably gets upset over his loss, and the kids try to cheer him up with TV... which just unintentionally mocks him, haha!

Ratchet offers Bee his own t-cog, which is actually rather practical given how rarely he goes out in the field (I think he's transformed twice the whole show...).  Less practical is how this requires someone else to operate on him. That... seems bound for trouble.

But!

"Do I hear a Fuzor in need of voice-box repair?"
"What's a Fuzor!? What's going on over there!?
?!"
"I am able! Just ask Bantor! He was all mandrill before I put a tiger in his tank."

H3NjNzF.jpg

FUZORS!!! These guys were my childhood Transformers, so I'm always happy to see a reference. I think this is the only time it's anywhere near "weren't those toys weird?", oddly enough.

Ratchet also offers Raf a ride with the sirens on. That's adorable!

Starscream tries joining up with MECH. It all goes disastrously bad for him. Hubris and desperation are a dangerous mix.

"Time to jet—because I can!"

Oh you poor foolish bastard...

Loose Cannons

Wheeljack's back. Yay?

And he brought Dreadwing. A recolor of Skyquake, but he had a neat design that deserves more than two episodes, and Dreadwing's got a neat color scheme.

Megatron seems kinda indifferent about the added muscle. He warns Dreadwing not to go after the Autobots, but doesn't really bother with stopping him or anything. Dude comes from across the galaxy, killing all the Wreckers and vowing revenge against all Autobots, and Megs just writes him off as good as dead at first opportunity. Feh.

Also, Seaspray's a Wrecker. Weird. I mean, I guess that's not really much weirder than like Kup or Perceptor, but still. And, uh, I suppose it's even less weird if you look at that Movie(?) toy of him.

(also also, Whirl isn't one of the named dead Wreckers, yay!)

Dreadwing's a fairly honorable Decepticon, which is a refreshing change of pace.

"Sorry, fishies!"

And unrelated to the episodes, I went and got a Starscream toy cause this re-watch made me regret selling the Voyager.

CjH8Ep4.jpg

#35 NOIP

NOIP

No One In Particular

• Citizen
  • 2259 posts

Posted 20 December 2017 - 09:12 PM

That Ratchet is so wonderful. Just - *kiss blowing noise*

Complete agreement.  Prime Ratchet is the Ratchet that all other Ratchets are measured against now.

While you live, shine/ Have no grief at all/ Life exists only for a short while/ And time demands an end. Seikilos Epitaph

#36 Copper Bezel

Copper Bezel

Off Model.

• Supporter
  • 50333 posts

Posted 20 December 2017 - 09:19 PM

Not quite what I meant but it'll do. X ]

#37 Noideaforaname

Noideaforaname

Spooking Anybody

• Citizen
  • 2727 posts

Posted 20 December 2017 - 09:20 PM

Crossfire

fTEr3lT.jpg

So Megatron decides to kill off Airachnid for.... some reason. She's not exactly trustworthy, but like apart from that time he went mad while the world was ending she's actually been rather supportive of Megs. Her murderous ways or preference to working alone never really comes up. Almost seems like Soundwave's holding a grudge...

Of course, Airachnid is far too genre savvy to fall for this trap, and kills her would-be killer. But not before delivering a few puns!

"I know we've never seen eyes-to-eye, but that doesn't mean we can't patch things up. *wink*"

So much for all those plot threads surrounding Breakdown. And, really, the sense that Prime will carry out anything......

At this point Airachnid's story is basically the same as Starscream's, the main difference being Starscream keeps making things worse for himself while Airachnid suddenly finds she has an entire army under her control. One would think this might lead somewhere, like hardship would force Starscream to grow into a better (though not necessarily good-er) person while Airachnid grows complacent by being given everything.

Oh well.

The Insecticons get their ridiculous demon donkey scream in this episode! WHE-LE-LE-LE-LE-LEY!

Starscream is still able to use his missiles despite the lack of a t-cog, because he doesn't need to transform any to use them - in fact we saw before he simply moves his hands a certain way. That actually involved quite a bit of planning on the show creator's part, didn't it? Like, most of the bots' weapons are in their arms, I think Megatron and the Jet Twins might be the only other exceptions. Huh.

Optimus can't condone killing any defenseless opponent but goes to shoot a defenseless Megatron. Hmmm. Too bad that little contradiction never got brought up.

And we get a closeup of Megatron's head in jet mode. How odd. He's got no eyes, which sorta seemed the point to his exposed noggin. *shrug*

Nemesis Prime

MECH builds their robot... which is just a copy of Optimus. You'd think maybe they'd start with something simple, maybe even military themed or something, but I guess the idea is really clones and not just a loose imitation of robots that turn into vehicles. Hmm, Nemesis Prime is basically Shattered Glass colors, kinda would've been interesting to see what colors other "nemeses" would've been painted.

I wonder how NP got so rusted and beat up this early?

Fowler gets to be a hero this episode, hurray! And we get a tidbit of background info on Silas.

*beep boop badapoop*

"I'm sorry. What?"

And Silas goes... squish!

#38 Noideaforaname

Noideaforaname

Spooking Anybody

• Citizen
  • 2727 posts

Posted 21 December 2017 - 11:40 PM

Armada

vhoYVIz.gif

Starscream and Airachnid both send their armadas against Megatron on the same day, because the writers really want them doing the same thing I guess? My memory had this pegged as two separate episodes, but no it's just the one. I dunno, this parallel is just weird. Was this all supposed to be part of something bigger that got rushed because of behind-the-scenes troubles?

This episode opens with Bulkhead killing Starscream! Well, a clone of him, anyways. Hell of a way to start things off.

Arcee ends up trapping her nemesis in stasis, which is treated as the "right" thing. Um, hmm. Autobot morality is... questionable, to say the least.

Starscream gets into cloning himself. There are sparks and electricity EVERYWHERE (good thing he's not organic) and the protoforms just sort of blink into being copies. It's the stuff of hokey b-movies! Speaking of the protoforms...

Armada-protoforms.jpg

I'm fascinated by how their basically stripped-down Vehicons. Were these intended to be Vehicons, or do all Decepticons (or even all Transformers) start off this way? If the latter, how do they become proper individuals? Do they "earn" it? Are they designed by someone? How does this all fit in with the caste system the Decepticons were originally founded to fight against? Have they become the very thing they hate???

... man I'm glad the IDW comics actually went into this sort of thing.

..........what was this episode about again? Oh, bugs and clones and stuff.

An Insecticon flies into a damn tree, bounces back into another Insecticon and even knocks Airachnid off a cliff! Trees, my god.

Airachnid gets captured and the bugs all immediately bow down to Megatron. It seems like this is supposed to be a big moment, but the Cons already have numeric advantage over the Autobots, so uh, whatever.

Meanwhile with Starscream and Starscream:

"I feel your pain. Really, I do."
*BLAM*

"AAAAAAAARAGHHHHH! Scrap, that hurt!"

Flying Mind

The Decepticon warship crash lands and Optimus decides to use the spark extractor to kill all the 'Cons in one blow. But it's a GOOD thing that Arcee didn't kill Airachnid! Yeaaaahh...

Megatron pumps the ship full of Dark Energon to fix it and put it completely under his control (kinda seemed like it was under Soundwave's control before)... but it becomes sentient and attacks all Transformers on either side, and decides to take all the Iacon relics for its own. This would make a LOT of sense if the show actually followed the rest of Aligned and made the Nemesis Trypticon, but apparently it's just the ship spontaneously coming to life. And, er, I guess it's just mindlessly following directives on the relic hunting? I honestly do wonder what it'd have even done with them.

The humans get to save the day, since the ship simply doesn't view organic beings as "life." Jack in particular gets some hero moments, so there's that. Ratchet, too!

FlyingMindSecondOpinion.jpg

But the next episodes are all relic hunting, argh!

#39 Noideaforaname

Noideaforaname

Spooking Anybody

• Citizen
  • 2727 posts

Posted 22 December 2017 - 07:24 PM

So, the infamous fetch quest, the part where the show hastily wrapped up a bunch of ongoing plots and sent its characters off for a bunch of items they'll never use, and you get the awful feeling you're only still watching the cartoon for Starscream...

(kinda makes me want to re-watch Jackie Chan Adventures or Xiaolin Showdown, y'know, shows that did the whole item gathering thing but, like, good)

Tunnel Vision

The bots go to New York City and meet exactly one whole person. *cough*

The main things about this episode are Knock Out getting ran over by a train, alien conspiracy guy Vogel, and the crushing disappointment that he never turned his train into a transforming robot. Sigh. Could you imagine if he quite innocently turned to MECH to do so?

BAH.

Triangulation

heQVedj.jpg

STARSCREAM SEARCHES For His DIGNITY

The episode starts off with Starscream attempting to preform surgery on himself. That is pretty darn creepy, but kinda fascinating too. Could he have even done it just by himself?

He, Dreadwing, and Optimus all go to the Antarctic looking for the thingy. Optimus tries the peaceful approach with Dreadwing but isn't putting up with any of Starscream's shit, and who can blame him? I kinda wonder what Prime would've done with him had things gone right? Take him prisoner or let Dreadwing bring him back to Megatron (and almost certain execution)

While Dreadwing and Optimus fight, Starscream takes the moment to steal the relic for himself. He actually wins for once!!! He gets sent to the bottom of the ocean, but still, Hooray!

Triage

Wait, a second episode starting with "Tri-", but this is kinda of a four-parter. Huh?

Soundwave does something! Nothing terribly exciting, but it's still something, I guess.

Ratchet teams up with Wheeljack and they have to learn to play nice with each other or whatever. They get into a dogfight with Soundwave but end up chasing Laserbeak the entire time... and the little birdie is able to one-shot Wheeljack's ship! Why isn't he used more?? They keep referring to Laserbeak as a "drone", seemingly to justify stuffing him with bombs and viruses to hurt the Decepticons. Autobot morality!

Wheeljack fights Soundwave and busts his face... which most shows would've probably made a "reveal" moment, like either there's a face under there or it's just a TV screen. *shrug* Eh, I guess people can still interpret it as they wish. (I'm for TV face!)

Soundwave wins and gains a sound-based weapon (heh), and Knock Out's noticeably angry at him. You'd almost think maybe he was planning something against him... Laserbeak carrying the Autobot's virus is obvious bait for that, too.

Ugh, these episodes are blah and the next ones are blah, but let me end with something silly

#40 NotVeryKnightly

NotVeryKnightly
  • Staff
  • 22899 posts

Posted 22 December 2017 - 08:18 PM

Was Xiaolin Showdown even all that good about item quests? I vaguely remember it getting weird when it remained as the focus despite introducing characters not so dependent on getting new loot.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users