Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  tigerhawk : (23 June 2021 - 10:09 AM)

"This never happened to the other fellow." -  One of my fave meta jokes in movies from 007: On her Majesty's Secret Service.

@  Sabrblade : (21 June 2021 - 08:58 PM)

Daddy!

@  Kalidor : (21 June 2021 - 04:50 PM)

Not just any girl - your mom!

@  Steevy Maximus : (20 June 2021 - 08:19 AM)

Happy Knocked-Up-A-Girl Day!

@  Bass X0 : (20 June 2021 - 02:13 AM)

Happy father's day!

@  Hot Rod Mustang : (19 June 2021 - 07:45 PM)

what up sluts?

@  TheMightyMol... : (19 June 2021 - 07:20 PM)

Only 6? Filthy casual.

@  wonko the sane? : (19 June 2021 - 04:26 PM)

Multiplaying as in "playing with other people" or multiplaying as in "6 WoW accounts running at the same time"?

@  Steevy Maximus : (19 June 2021 - 01:45 PM)

Oh no! Darkeklaw is multiplaying! (See birthday box)

@  tigerhawk : (19 June 2021 - 11:54 AM)

In my Marvel comic canon the second wave of special teams were handpicked active robots whose experience would theoretically make more stable combiners, the Combaticons came from Cybertron, the Protectobots were imprinted from crystals explaining both Onslauhghts ancestry and First Aid's experience.

@  Dekafox : (18 June 2021 - 05:24 PM)

Spotlight: Lioconvoy?

@  Bass X0 : (18 June 2021 - 04:15 PM)

How long until IDW puts out an Optimus Pride Month comic?

@  Cyoti : (18 June 2021 - 03:32 PM)

Even with B5, it didn't follow its original 5-year plan. Summaries from the supplementary materials for the scriptbooks demonstrates that was originally planned was very different from the actual product. Sinclair's actor's departure seemingly changed the show to the point that the stuff with the Vorlons/Shadows, the Minbari and the ending were all changed. Mapping out a show years in advance is difficult because of changing bts stuff like writers/actors leaving the show or suddenly having to retool because of ratings/execs. No plan survives intact especially in a chaotic environment of television production.

@  Rycochet : (18 June 2021 - 11:27 AM)

To be like Babylon 5, you need to cram a 2 season story arc into one because you fear being cancelled, then get further seasons you have no more material for. You also need a spinoff which the network heads don't want and do everything in their power to kill it while it's on air.

@  wonko the sane? : (18 June 2021 - 10:33 AM)

The required effort is probably why we don't have babylon 6; TNG.

@  Dekafox : (18 June 2021 - 10:23 AM)

Everyone wants to be like Babylon 5 but no one wants to put in the effort

@  Nevermore : (18 June 2021 - 09:36 AM)

And then, after five years of hosting their own official podcast where they would answer fan questions and always encouraged their audience to pay attention to the mysteries, after the show had ended, they claimed the show was never really about the mysteries, it was all about the characters.

@  Nevermore : (18 June 2021 - 09:34 AM)

What really bugs me with "Lost" is that the producers had willfully negotiated a set end date with the network halfway through season 3 (the show ended with season 6, as planned) specifically so they could plan out the plot for the remainder of the show. Then... the plot wasn't resolved properly.

@  tigerhawk : (18 June 2021 - 04:17 AM)

By then I had lost interest in arc TV shows, I followed a few and got the impression they were just making them up as they went along. Seemed to be a trend starting with new Galactica and Lost though in actuality began with The X Files and has become a trope called 'The Chris Carter Effect'.

@  Nevermore : (18 June 2021 - 02:12 AM)

I think it was season 3 part 1 specifically, since they had two separate plot "arcs" for season 3.

@  Nevermore : (18 June 2021 - 02:11 AM)

They threw everything in there, with no clear story structure, no clear stakes, and characters flip-flopping wherever the episode's writer needed them to go for their half-baked plot.

@  Nevermore : (18 June 2021 - 02:10 AM)

Season 3 was the worst, with a terrible meandering random events plot.

@  tigerhawk : (17 June 2021 - 11:59 PM)

'save the cheerleader' then in season 3 he tears her skull open, scans her power and she simply heals. They didn't think any of it through.

@  Shockwave 75 : (17 June 2021 - 07:04 PM)

Well, you know Hollywood; if something's popular, run it into the ground!

@  Cybersnark : (17 June 2021 - 04:40 PM)

And then there was the Writers' Strike, which isn't the show's fault.

@  Cybersnark : (17 June 2021 - 04:40 PM)

Yeah, Sylar should've been, if not killed off, at least left to rest.

@  Nevermore : (17 June 2021 - 03:43 PM)

It never truly recovered from that.

@  Nevermore : (17 June 2021 - 03:43 PM)

Season 1 was good until the finale.

@  Paladin : (17 June 2021 - 09:37 AM)

because it sucked.

@  tigerhawk : (17 June 2021 - 08:58 AM)

Heroes was cancelled twice.

@  Nevermore : (17 June 2021 - 06:33 AM)

The song's official name is "Holding Out for a Hero".

@  PlutoniumBoss : (17 June 2021 - 12:54 AM)

That's a long time to wait for a sandwich.

@  Maruten : (16 June 2021 - 07:13 PM)

Lucky there's a hero arriving in July.

@  Steevy Maximus : (16 June 2021 - 05:38 PM)

I think I've heard "I Need a Hero" more times this past week than I have in the past several years.

@  tigerhawk : (16 June 2021 - 12:41 PM)

Thanks to Earthrise I can recreate the end of Return of Optimus Prime part 1.

@  wonko the sane? : (16 June 2021 - 11:19 AM)

I wish they would do something like that here: but then it would become obvious in which provinces you're getting gouged.

@  Nevermore : (16 June 2021 - 10:42 AM)

Here in Germany, the price you see is the price you pay, tax included.

@  Nevermore : (16 June 2021 - 10:42 AM)

I always find it weaird hearing that stores in the US don't initially already taxes in their prices.

@  Nevermore : (16 June 2021 - 04:33 AM)

You know what's kewl? Poor literacy.

@  wonko the sane? : (15 June 2021 - 04:31 PM)

Awesome, thanks for the heads up.

@  CORVUS : (15 June 2021 - 04:12 PM)

Kewl. Thanks!

@  Kalidor : (15 June 2021 - 02:08 PM)

Hey everybody! I wanted to announce that Sarahthecutevixen is our newest addition to the Allspark staff. She's primarily looking over discord stuff, but I wanted to make sure she got a welcome over here as well.

@  NovaSaber : (14 June 2021 - 11:07 AM)

Turn-Bass RPG

@  Sabrblade : (14 June 2021 - 10:21 AM)

Do not X0 quietly into the night.

@  ▲ndrusi : (14 June 2021 - 10:13 AM)

All your Bass are--

@  Donocropolis : (14 June 2021 - 05:56 AM)

*Bass X0 not available in Alaska or Hawaii.

@  Steevy Maximus : (13 June 2021 - 07:36 PM)

Get your own Big Mouth BassX0 for the low price of $19.95 (plusshippingandhandling)

@  repowers : (13 June 2021 - 12:45 PM)

Mr. Speaker, we are for the Bass X0.

@  Nevermore : (13 June 2021 - 06:04 AM)

It's all about that Bass XD.

@  tigerhawk : (13 June 2021 - 02:16 AM)

Will altering the moons orbit in any way help.

Photo

Ranting about quebec... Cause the other thread is archived.

439 replies to this topic

#421 Nevermore

Nevermore

Unionized and proud of it.

• Supporter
  • 14016 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 10 May 2021 - 06:44 PM

It's all just tribalism really.

I'm not a sports guy, and it never ceases to amaze me how fanatically devoted to "their" team some fans can be.

"We are awesome. The other team is a plague to humanity."

Edited by Nevermore, 10 May 2021 - 06:45 PM.

aR2oX8u.jpg
Big thanks to my dad for playing along with this visual recreation.

#422 wonko the sane?

wonko the sane?

Oh dear lord I am bored...

• Citizen
  • 44838 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 12 May 2021 - 07:34 AM

Alright, so the CAQ plan to drop their reforms to the french language charter TOMORROW!

Without even bothering to look, here's how it's going to play out: They will use not withstanding because some part of it is blatantly unconstitutional, and then use their super majority to ram it through. The only thing they won't have to do this time is invoke closure because absolutely no one else wants to like they aren't giving absolutely priority to "les quebecois" and their bullshit. In fact, they won't even need to abuse their majority this time: the PQ and QS will likely support it unconditionally regardless. Hell, even a disturbing chunk of the liberals will vote in favour because no one wants to upset the french vote.

So yeah, the whole lot of them will deliberately and willfully damage the economy, the culture, and sadly; canada's international appearance because the ONE city in the province that was actually kinda doing okay for themselves wasn't forcing people to speak enough french. And yes: that's literally what it's all about. Just like bill 21 was basically aimed at teachers, the language charter reforms are aimed at montreal. Cause a cosmopolitain, multinational community wasn't speaking enough french at home and work.

Per Nick Nemesis's Suggestion: I hate everything.

#423 wonko the sane?

wonko the sane?

• Citizen
  • 44838 posts

Posted 12 May 2021 - 05:34 PM

Called it. Legault himself said it'll probably require not withstanding. And even if they could, no one will fight it because they don't want to risk offending the french vote.

I hate this place.

#424 wonko the sane?

wonko the sane?

• Citizen
  • 44838 posts

Posted 13 May 2021 - 05:23 PM

And... AND they want an amendment to the canadian constitution recognizing quebec as a nation within canada. If trudeau has any hugging sense what so ever, he will deny it.

So... yeah, I expect les quebecois will get their recognition and from the fed, and consequently ignite a new wave of quebec nationalism. Course, that was going to happen anyway with this shit show of a bill.

#425 Nevermore

Nevermore

Unionized and proud of it.

• Supporter
  • 14016 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 14 May 2021 - 06:31 AM

At this point, why doesn't Quebec just secede and leave the rest of Canada alone?

aR2oX8u.jpg
Big thanks to my dad for playing along with this visual recreation.

#426 wonko the sane?

wonko the sane?

• Citizen
  • 44838 posts

Posted 14 May 2021 - 06:48 AM

Tried twice and failed both times, despite RAMPANT cheating in the second referendum. Quebec, largely, does not WANT to be it's own nation, but enough people DO to continue to use the threat of it to extort the rest of the country.

Legault said (in 2018) that a "one and done" seperation was tried twice and didn't work, so he's going to do it piecemeal. The upshot is: quebec absolutely cannot  survive as a nation on it's own. So, yeah, schadenfreude but it's all we got.

#427 Pocket

Pocket

Naylte ven, naylte yen.

• Citizen
  • 5362 posts

Posted 14 May 2021 - 08:45 AM

Do they even have the right to secede? Constitutionally, I mean.

"If you can keep your head while everyone around you is losing theirs, chances are you're not paying attention." - unknown

#428 wonko the sane?

wonko the sane?

• Citizen
  • 44838 posts

Posted 14 May 2021 - 09:04 AM

Hell if I know. All I know is: they won't shut the hug up about it, and every time they flap their hugging gobs, the value of the dollar drops.

#429 Pale Rider

Pale Rider

...and Hell followed with him.

• Citizen
  • 10096 posts

Posted 14 May 2021 - 10:49 AM

#430 Anonymous X

Anonymous X
  • Citizen
  • 3565 posts

Posted 14 May 2021 - 04:18 PM

I read a book about Canadian history a few years back, and I remember that during the first referendum, the Quebec separatists wanted a “sovereignty association” rather than independence per se, and to keep the Canadian dollar. So presumably they were aware on some level that Quebec couldn’t become a viable nation state on its own.

#431 wonko the sane?

wonko the sane?

• Citizen
  • 44838 posts

Posted 14 May 2021 - 06:10 PM

They wanted similar shit during the second as well. Keep using canadian money, passports, infrastructure. It was likened to a college drop out who's parents pay for their apartment. The stupid thing is: if they had won the first referendum (and understand, I mean this on a technical level and nothing more.) quebec would have been a far more viable independent nation. More willing to build their own infrastructure, more willing to actually step up and tackle the challenges. By the second referendum there had been almost 30 years of "les quebecois" being told it would be a paradise on a platter if they would only vote "oui" and send those disgusting anglos packing.

Back then it was a failed enterprise, and it's even worse culturally now. The major employers in the province are NOT quebec owned businesses, all of whom would bugger off up the river towards ontario the second they got any where NEAR the instability of another run at seperation. All the things that the province has come to be known for in the last few years (gaming, AI, computer systems and such.) are stationed in montreal and are NOT local. And the local workforce which made them all viable, well, most of that has enough english in them that pulling up stakes and following the job is a very real, very serious option. Hell the company my brother works for has offices in three other provinces, and if he hadn't found a girl, he probably would have taken up the offer to move by now. Considering she's muslim, if the storm of "la seperation" comes again I suspect I'll be helping him pack the truck. That's not even touching on the fact that the historic and massive post secondary education sector would fold like a house made of dollar store playing cards. As it stands: the universities in quebec DEPEND on foreign students to keep the lights on, and this new push for language purity will scare even more of them away. Imagine the being the guy that presides over the collapse of McGill.

And the only reason, the only reason they're doing this is because there's an election coming. The caq is flagrantly pandering to it's ignorant, apathetic, xenophobic quebecois base. And it needs to this time because the minorities and anglos who voted for them last time (and it did happen. Because despite being a multi party system, there's only so many times you can choose between shit on a stick, or shit in a bowl before stir fried shit starts to sound good.) absolutely WILL NOT give them a second chance.

#432 wonko the sane?

wonko the sane?

• Citizen
  • 44838 posts

Posted 15 May 2021 - 06:05 PM

Legault actually wrote a letter about all this justifying his use of the not withstanding clause to trudeau. Either it's a plea for an adult to stop him, or he's hugging bragging. I think I know which one it is.

I am disgusted by the american style politics in play. Quebec was pretty universally the worst for democracy in the country, and it just keeps sliding downhill.

#433 wonko the sane?

wonko the sane?

• Citizen
  • 44838 posts

Posted 19 May 2021 - 11:04 AM

Dear quebec drivers. The lines on the road MEAN something; that meaning does not change if you're driving a luxury car. The signals on your car are mandatory; that does not change if you're driving a "pimped out" honda civic. The road signs MEAN something, and while learning and growing is usually antithetical to your culture, you should at least know your own signage.

Dear quebec. FIX.THE hugging. ROADS.

#434 Pale Rider

Pale Rider

...and Hell followed with him.

• Citizen
  • 10096 posts

Posted 19 May 2021 - 04:50 PM

Have you ever considered relocating to some other province that's a bit less...Quebecish?

#435 wonko the sane?

wonko the sane?

• Citizen
  • 44838 posts

Posted 24 May 2021 - 10:35 AM

Jagmeet Singh has gone on the record stating that he supports changing the canadian constitution to recognize quebec as a nation.

Well, awesome. Now I literally only have one option to vote for in the fed. At least till the NDP kick singh out. Considering how he's literally only saying it to appeal to quebecois votes (which he will never get cause... brown and non-christian.) ahead of the federal elections.

This democracy hugging sucks. Thirty different flavours of hugwits and shit.

#436 KidTDragon

KidTDragon

Unmotivated Webcomicker

• Supporter
  • 2316 posts
  • Faction::Lesbian Ninja

Posted 24 May 2021 - 12:29 PM

Is that better or worse than only two different flavours of hugwits and shit?

#437 wonko the sane?

wonko the sane?

• Citizen
  • 44838 posts

Posted 24 May 2021 - 01:30 PM

Is that better or worse than only two different flavours of hugwits and shit?

Depends on your personality I guess. Walk into a baskin robins: they are out of everything except two flavours and those are made out of horse shit. Both suck. OR! Walk into a baskin robins: They have the entire range available to you, but it's all made out of a base of horse shit.

#438 TM2-Megatron

TM2-Megatron
  • Supporter
  • 11020 posts
  • Faction::Equestrian

Posted 24 May 2021 - 01:33 PM

Yep, that's politics. I gave up trying to find anyone I respected and could vote for without wanting to kill myself long ago.

#439 wonko the sane?

wonko the sane?

• Citizen
  • 44838 posts

Posted 10 June 2021 - 06:16 PM

Bill 96: prophecies and predictions!

It's going to be going into consultations soon, which, ostensibly, means that the various non political groups representing the various populations in the province will be able to get their say in about and attempt to change the final bill.

So here's what's going to happen: it'll get about three weeks into the process (which is normally supposed to last months, and in this case should be studied for YEARS since it's going to have a massive impact on basically everything.) and legault will get pissy about being told what he's doing is illegal, immoral, and violating not only quebecs own charter of rights, but the canadian one and the UN charters of human rights and freedoms as well. He will invoke closure to force the vote, and it'll pass because there is NO way to counter his parties seemingly absolute control of its representatives.

And then they can start in earnest with the "papers please" bullshit about access to all services (yeah, including health and education.) in english.

#440 wonko the sane?

wonko the sane?

• Citizen
  • 44838 posts

Posted 17 June 2021 - 07:36 AM

With the pandemic waning, the emergency rooms are now exploding, with the major ERs in the province all above 100% capacity.

SURPRISE! These are actually the pre-pandemic ER levels, and have been such for thirty years. If they want to fix it: the government needs to hire more doctors, both GPs and ER, open more beds, create more walk in clinics and Actually HAVE the walk in clinics be walk ins, cause most in the monteregie region (home for me, for better or worse. Mostly worse.) actually require appointments.

Yeah, stupid, right? They did it in an effort to keep people from crowding the waiting rooms all day. Literally just hiding the hugging problem when it's being caused by a shortage of medical capacity in the system. But hey: they haven't made a serious attempt yet to fix it, even during the GLOBAL PANDEMIC! So why would they even bother now that we're almost at our herd immunity level? I mean: sure, doctors and nurses are abandoning the field in droves, some for greener pastures in the rest of the world, some for the relaxed pace and low profile work of fast food, and there's still no plan or concept in place to replace them.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users