Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (24 June 2021 - 02:04 PM)

Fedex sucks

@  tigerhawk : (23 June 2021 - 10:09 AM)

"This never happened to the other fellow." -  One of my fave meta jokes in movies from 007: On her Majesty's Secret Service.

@  Sabrblade : (21 June 2021 - 08:58 PM)

Daddy!

@  Kalidor : (21 June 2021 - 04:50 PM)

Not just any girl - your mom!

@  Steevy Maximus : (20 June 2021 - 08:19 AM)

Happy Knocked-Up-A-Girl Day!

@  Bass X0 : (20 June 2021 - 02:13 AM)

Happy father's day!

@  Hot Rod Mustang : (19 June 2021 - 07:45 PM)

what up sluts?

@  TheMightyMol... : (19 June 2021 - 07:20 PM)

Only 6? Filthy casual.

@  wonko the sane? : (19 June 2021 - 04:26 PM)

Multiplaying as in "playing with other people" or multiplaying as in "6 WoW accounts running at the same time"?

@  Steevy Maximus : (19 June 2021 - 01:45 PM)

Oh no! Darkeklaw is multiplaying! (See birthday box)

@  tigerhawk : (19 June 2021 - 11:54 AM)

In my Marvel comic canon the second wave of special teams were handpicked active robots whose experience would theoretically make more stable combiners, the Combaticons came from Cybertron, the Protectobots were imprinted from crystals explaining both Onslauhghts ancestry and First Aid's experience.

@  Dekafox : (18 June 2021 - 05:24 PM)

Spotlight: Lioconvoy?

@  Bass X0 : (18 June 2021 - 04:15 PM)

How long until IDW puts out an Optimus Pride Month comic?

@  Cyoti : (18 June 2021 - 03:32 PM)

Even with B5, it didn't follow its original 5-year plan. Summaries from the supplementary materials for the scriptbooks demonstrates that was originally planned was very different from the actual product. Sinclair's actor's departure seemingly changed the show to the point that the stuff with the Vorlons/Shadows, the Minbari and the ending were all changed. Mapping out a show years in advance is difficult because of changing bts stuff like writers/actors leaving the show or suddenly having to retool because of ratings/execs. No plan survives intact especially in a chaotic environment of television production.

@  Rycochet : (18 June 2021 - 11:27 AM)

To be like Babylon 5, you need to cram a 2 season story arc into one because you fear being cancelled, then get further seasons you have no more material for. You also need a spinoff which the network heads don't want and do everything in their power to kill it while it's on air.

@  wonko the sane? : (18 June 2021 - 10:33 AM)

The required effort is probably why we don't have babylon 6; TNG.

@  Dekafox : (18 June 2021 - 10:23 AM)

Everyone wants to be like Babylon 5 but no one wants to put in the effort

@  Nevermore : (18 June 2021 - 09:36 AM)

And then, after five years of hosting their own official podcast where they would answer fan questions and always encouraged their audience to pay attention to the mysteries, after the show had ended, they claimed the show was never really about the mysteries, it was all about the characters.

@  Nevermore : (18 June 2021 - 09:34 AM)

What really bugs me with "Lost" is that the producers had willfully negotiated a set end date with the network halfway through season 3 (the show ended with season 6, as planned) specifically so they could plan out the plot for the remainder of the show. Then... the plot wasn't resolved properly.

@  tigerhawk : (18 June 2021 - 04:17 AM)

By then I had lost interest in arc TV shows, I followed a few and got the impression they were just making them up as they went along. Seemed to be a trend starting with new Galactica and Lost though in actuality began with The X Files and has become a trope called 'The Chris Carter Effect'.

@  Nevermore : (18 June 2021 - 02:12 AM)

I think it was season 3 part 1 specifically, since they had two separate plot "arcs" for season 3.

@  Nevermore : (18 June 2021 - 02:11 AM)

They threw everything in there, with no clear story structure, no clear stakes, and characters flip-flopping wherever the episode's writer needed them to go for their half-baked plot.

@  Nevermore : (18 June 2021 - 02:10 AM)

Season 3 was the worst, with a terrible meandering random events plot.

@  tigerhawk : (17 June 2021 - 11:59 PM)

'save the cheerleader' then in season 3 he tears her skull open, scans her power and she simply heals. They didn't think any of it through.

@  Shockwave 75 : (17 June 2021 - 07:04 PM)

Well, you know Hollywood; if something's popular, run it into the ground!

@  Cybersnark : (17 June 2021 - 04:40 PM)

And then there was the Writers' Strike, which isn't the show's fault.

@  Cybersnark : (17 June 2021 - 04:40 PM)

Yeah, Sylar should've been, if not killed off, at least left to rest.

@  Nevermore : (17 June 2021 - 03:43 PM)

It never truly recovered from that.

@  Nevermore : (17 June 2021 - 03:43 PM)

Season 1 was good until the finale.

@  Paladin : (17 June 2021 - 09:37 AM)

because it sucked.

@  tigerhawk : (17 June 2021 - 08:58 AM)

Heroes was cancelled twice.

@  Nevermore : (17 June 2021 - 06:33 AM)

The song's official name is "Holding Out for a Hero".

@  PlutoniumBoss : (17 June 2021 - 12:54 AM)

That's a long time to wait for a sandwich.

@  Maruten : (16 June 2021 - 07:13 PM)

Lucky there's a hero arriving in July.

@  Steevy Maximus : (16 June 2021 - 05:38 PM)

I think I've heard "I Need a Hero" more times this past week than I have in the past several years.

@  tigerhawk : (16 June 2021 - 12:41 PM)

Thanks to Earthrise I can recreate the end of Return of Optimus Prime part 1.

@  wonko the sane? : (16 June 2021 - 11:19 AM)

I wish they would do something like that here: but then it would become obvious in which provinces you're getting gouged.

@  Nevermore : (16 June 2021 - 10:42 AM)

Here in Germany, the price you see is the price you pay, tax included.

@  Nevermore : (16 June 2021 - 10:42 AM)

I always find it weaird hearing that stores in the US don't initially already taxes in their prices.

@  Nevermore : (16 June 2021 - 04:33 AM)

You know what's kewl? Poor literacy.

@  wonko the sane? : (15 June 2021 - 04:31 PM)

Awesome, thanks for the heads up.

@  CORVUS : (15 June 2021 - 04:12 PM)

Kewl. Thanks!

@  Kalidor : (15 June 2021 - 02:08 PM)

Hey everybody! I wanted to announce that Sarahthecutevixen is our newest addition to the Allspark staff. She's primarily looking over discord stuff, but I wanted to make sure she got a welcome over here as well.

@  NovaSaber : (14 June 2021 - 11:07 AM)

Turn-Bass RPG

@  Sabrblade : (14 June 2021 - 10:21 AM)

Do not X0 quietly into the night.

@  ▲ndrusi : (14 June 2021 - 10:13 AM)

All your Bass are--

@  Donocropolis : (14 June 2021 - 05:56 AM)

*Bass X0 not available in Alaska or Hawaii.

@  Steevy Maximus : (13 June 2021 - 07:36 PM)

Get your own Big Mouth BassX0 for the low price of $19.95 (plusshippingandhandling)

@  repowers : (13 June 2021 - 12:45 PM)

Mr. Speaker, we are for the Bass X0.

@  Nevermore : (13 June 2021 - 06:04 AM)

It's all about that Bass XD.

Photo

Ranting about quebec... Cause the other thread is archived.

440 replies to this topic

#381 wonko the sane?

wonko the sane?

Oh dear lord I am bored...

• Citizen
  • 44844 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 11 October 2020 - 08:19 AM

Welp, the PQ now have a new leader: a lawyer (bilingual.) by the name of Paul St-Pierre Plamondon. CTV did an interview with him, and he openly stated that the PQ exists to seperate quebec from canada, and that, if elected, his first action will be to cut funding to english education because when french people learn english they tend to better themselves. Oh, and they leave the province.

I listened to most of his interview, and he basically stated that when french people actually LEARN, they stop voting for seperation and he aims to stop that. I stopped listening after the admission that he wants to keep quebec stupid.

Edited by wonko the sane?, 11 October 2020 - 09:35 AM.

Per Nick Nemesis's Suggestion: I hate everything.

#382 Ironbite

Ironbite

TIME JUDGED ALL!

• Supporter
  • 29937 posts
  • Faction::RIBFIR

Posted 11 October 2020 - 08:20 AM

....how?

Ironbite-HOW DO YOU GUYS EVEN EXIST!?

xC9l3eY.gif

#383 wonko the sane?

wonko the sane?

• Citizen
  • 44844 posts

Posted 11 October 2020 - 09:39 AM

To be fair about it. The PQ only hold 9 seats right now, and the constant push for "la seperation" hasn't actually done anything for them in terms of success. This is the fourth leader in as many (failed) mandates. Being OG pequists means they absolutely, patently refuse to learn anything (See a pattern?). They haven't even bothered lifting the CAQ's playbook where in they push for seperation and never even mention the word. And look: the cat puke party has a super majority. Hell, they've already passed four large scale, completely unconstitutional laws via the not withstanding clause. It's been decades since the PQ could even dream of trying something like that.

#384 TheMightyMollusk

TheMightyMollusk

Follow your heart, let it guide you through the dark

• Supporter
  • 50744 posts
  • Faction::Unicron's Spawn

Posted 11 October 2020 - 10:15 AM

....how?

Ironbite-HOW DO YOU GUYS EVEN EXIST!?

Do we really have room to talk?

#385 Nutjob R/T

Nutjob R/T

I love this thread.

• Citizen
  • 25638 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 01 November 2020 - 11:53 AM

Since this is basically the catch-all for Canadian Stupidity Thread

Remember back when Canada first jumped on the 24 Hour news bandwagon?

I can't remember if it was CTV or CBC but I remember when they first launched they had a news desk that was on a giant turntable, so they could *literally* pivot to a new story.

It got trashed eventually after one guy hit a hard stop and knocked the anchor off his chair, and another anchor had to interrupt a story to go vomit, on live tv.

But now my Google-Fu is weak and I can't even find still pictures or even text descriptions of it.
Earth is Kill because Santa.

#386 wonko the sane?

wonko the sane?

• Citizen
  • 44844 posts

Posted 20 November 2020 - 08:33 AM

So, the premier is offering quebec a moral contract: If we're good and obey all the regulations in regards to covid; we get to have christmas with our families.

I don't know if I can abide by a moral contract from the guy and the party whose sole means of passing bills into law involve being wantonly unfair, unethical and immoral. The CAQ has passed four bills since they came into power: all of them using closure (which is a motion to end discussion and force a vote.) and not-wthstanding (which basically means that even if the bill violates some other existing law, like the constitution! it'll be enforced regardless.), and horsed all of them through due his the standing super majority.

So the morally bankrupt, racist, xenophobic asshole knows that if he introduces stricter covid regulations and actually starts enforcing them he's going to start losing the quebecois vote, because NOW the red zones aren't just in the big cities where the CAQ has no seats. It's in "les regions". People whom managed to skip the entire first wave are now getting sick, and proving they're completely incapable of adhering to basic imposed conditions... and basic hygiene.

So to look like he's actually DOING something: he's offering a moral contract, and like all things seperatist, it's only worth the paper it's printed on.

#387 wonko the sane?

wonko the sane?

• Citizen
  • 44844 posts

Posted 01 December 2020 - 03:30 PM

Welp, seems like we the people could not live up to the moral contract from an immoral, bigoted scrap of used toilet paper. Seems like he's not only going to ban gatherings over christmas, but he's also probably going to instate new restrictions for warehouse and big box stores.

Also: there was recently a protest by pro bill 101 people: they were marching because they want bill 101 strengthened, since they apparently can't get served in french in montreal.

1.) that's utter bullshit, considering how much of a shit they put up when "bonjour/hi" was brought up as a hugging political issue. It's the defacto greeting in montreal stores and it basically lets the person know they can choose which language to shop in.

2.) The big difference between montreal and the rest of the province is... well, hugging jobs. There is work here. Good work, well renumerated work. But HEY! Since ya love french so hugging much, why don't you move back to lac saint louie and be seasonal over at bombardier. Sure, you won't be able to retire, but 5-6 months of technical work a year is better than nothing so long as it's french, right?

#388 TM2-Megatron

TM2-Megatron
  • Supporter
  • 11020 posts
  • Faction::Equestrian

Posted 02 December 2020 - 12:09 AM

There are also some calls in Ontario for the government to try and regular the items big box stores are allowed to sell during the lockdown, supposedly in an attempt to "help" the small businesses that are being eviscerated by the current measures. But I really don't know how that helps them, because they still won't be allowed to open for anything but curbside. These measures also ignore the fact that, because our government has allowed wages and salaries to stagnate for so many decades compared to the cost of living, there are now HUGE numbers of low income households that basically RELY on big box stores and Dollarama for everything. They don't have the extra money to support local business, because of the higher prices... and many just don't have cars and don't have the luxury of driving all over the city to do curbside pickup at a bunch of spread out small retailers, nor the time it takes to phone and make all those appointments. The idiots proposing these restrictions, and the idiotic governments that've actually instituted them, seem to think everyone has as much leisure time as themselves.

Due to the aforementioned restrictions on small businesses/main street shops, there's growing discontent among them in the locked down regions of Ontario. They're now calling in greater and greater numbers to be allowed to reopen before they all close for good, stating the restrictions aren't working to reduce case numbers. The province's own numbers mostly seem to agree with them, as a very small percentage of COVID seems to be spread due to retail settings.

I think the lockdown isn't working as effectively this time around because there are simply more people who no longer give a damn. They've judged COVID to be less of a threat to their lives than other things, or are simply too weak to resist the temptations of socializing, family dinners and house parties. I mean, people have rented shipping containers to have parties in, reserved Air BnBs for house parties... and that's only the type of stuff we know about.

At this point, I think the governments know there's really nothing else they can do, and they're in a holding pattern hoping that numbers don't get too much worse before the vaccine shipments start arriving. Fortunately, there are only a few hundred thousand seniors in long-term care Canada-wide, and the logistics of vaccinating all of them and the workers in those places are a lot simpler than the general population (I mean, we know where they all live, and it's not like they're going anywhere). Once those ~400,000 people or so are vaccinated, deaths should drop dramatically.

Edited by TM2-Megatron, 02 December 2020 - 12:19 AM.

#389 wonko the sane?

wonko the sane?

• Citizen
  • 44844 posts

Posted 02 December 2020 - 07:31 AM

Which might also prompt people to start taking everything a little more seriously: because once the most likely group can no longer realistically die from covid, then the ongoing deaths (and they will continue, just at a lower rate.) will literally be everyone else.

#390 wonko the sane?

wonko the sane?

• Citizen
  • 44844 posts

Posted 03 December 2020 - 07:09 PM

Merry Christmas from francois legault! If you live in a red zone: there are to be NO gatherings with anyone other than the people you already live with. Most of us were going to parties to get away from our asshole room mates.

Fun fact: since they instituted the whole "coloured zone" things to denote severity; they have NOT rescinded any red zone classification. The first ones put into place are in effect still; and I know because I live in it. They HAVE instituted more red zones though, because there was exactly zero over sight or enforcement of the whole "no traveling to neighbouring zones to get around restrictions".

The wonderful upshot to all this: I will not have to share either my bourbon OR the christmas log this year.

#391 wonko the sane?

wonko the sane?

• Citizen
  • 44844 posts

Posted 29 January 2021 - 12:46 PM

I saw on the news ticker this morning that there is going to be a national day of remembrance for the people killed in the horrible act of terrorism at the mosque in quebec city three years ago.

Which is WONDERFUL. Especially in racist places like quebec where it still, sadly, needs to be reinforced that they are in fact people.

The second time it popped up, I saw that it was under the heading for quebec news and not, as I would have expected with the word "national", under the national news meaning the entirety of canada.

So instead of a somewhat genuine attempt to commemorate the losses from a horrible act of hatred, it's a political stunt to curry favour with a group which has been openly oppressed by the current government.

Edit: HA! It actually IS the federal government, so an actual national day remembrance and awareness. It made it's way to the federal government because the quebec government unanimously rejected the idea (all the parties didn't want it, not just the CAQ.) when it was brought there a few years ago.

Edited by wonko the sane?, 29 January 2021 - 06:15 PM.

#392 wonko the sane?

wonko the sane?

• Citizen
  • 44844 posts

Posted 19 February 2021 - 12:08 PM

So, I guess a pandemic is GREAT TIME! To talk about strengthening the language laws in quebec. Cause legault thinks so! And how does he intend to do this? Improving education for all ages to make it easier to pick up a fundamental level of the language? Nope! By encouraging businesses to use french through tax credits and incentive programs? Oh, by the nine, no.

He wants to cap the number of spaces in higher english education. NOW! Since higher education is generally FREE of the english french school boards bullshit, and the only requirements to going to a cegep or university of choice is grades and cash, he can't limit the number of french going by capping their spaces, so he's just going to put a limit on how many people can attend these institutions, in any given year, entirely.

So yeah: limiting access to education. Which is unconstitutional. But HEY! They passed literally all their other acts by using not withstanding, so what's one more crime against the population going to matter?

#393 Pale Rider

Pale Rider

...and Hell followed with him.

• Citizen
  • 10098 posts

Posted 19 February 2021 - 01:02 PM

I've always wondered why you don't post in English and French here.

Je me suis toujours demandé pourquoi vous ne postez pas en anglais et en français ici.

#394 Coglestop

Coglestop

1/8th Penguin

• Citizen
  • 5828 posts

Posted 19 February 2021 - 04:32 PM

Why should he? By the 24th century French will be a dead language and English will be the de-facto language spoken by humans in Paris.

#395 TheMightyMollusk

TheMightyMollusk

Follow your heart, let it guide you through the dark

• Supporter
  • 50744 posts
  • Faction::Unicron's Spawn

Posted 19 February 2021 - 05:37 PM

Of course, by then, half of the rest of the planet will speak Spanish. Except for the US, where we'll be speaking in the deranged growling roars of irradiated mutant hillbillies.

#396 Pale Rider

Pale Rider

...and Hell followed with him.

• Citizen
  • 10098 posts

Posted 19 February 2021 - 06:07 PM

Why should he? By the 24th century French will be a dead language and English will be the de-facto language spoken by humans in Paris.

Is that why Jean-Luc Picard acts and sounds like an Englishman?

#397 Coglestop

Coglestop

1/8th Penguin

• Citizen
  • 5828 posts

Posted 19 February 2021 - 08:29 PM

Pretty much. Was a popular fan theory for awhile. Official canon contradicts it, though.

#398 wonko the sane?

wonko the sane?

• Citizen
  • 44844 posts

Posted 02 March 2021 - 12:25 PM

And now there's a petition to rename trudeau airport after rene levesque. I think we found the seperatist ronald reagan.

#399 wonko the sane?

wonko the sane?

• Citizen
  • 44844 posts

Posted 22 March 2021 - 08:32 AM

Quebec recently appointed a minister to combat racism. A needed appointment to be sure. One of the old white, french dudes first official statements? "We must not see racism where there is none". Which is a fair statement to make under normal circumstances.

The party that appointed him completely refuses to admit there is a systemic racism problem in quebec. Because that would involve admitting there is a cultural racism problem in quebec, and the seperatists cannot admit to needing to improve themselves. So if this douche knuckle does any work at all in his new position, it'll literally be to run around and put out fires as opposed to catching the arsonists.

The party that appointed him also swept into power on a platform of racist and xenophobic rhetoric, and all four of the major bills the CAQ shoved through (and literally shoved. They used not withstanding AND closure on all of them.) are currently in front of a judge for various legal, ethical and constitutional reasons.

"We must not see racism where there is none" is functionally an admission of complete apathy, and declaration of his intention to work in the greatest of quebecois fashion: do hugging nothing and collect the paycheque for as long as he can get away with it.

#400 wonko the sane?

wonko the sane?

• Citizen
  • 44844 posts

Posted 30 March 2021 - 07:28 AM

So, studies recently have found that french is on the decline in quebec!

Oh wait, hold on: ONE study, funded by the OQLF, which focused primarily on montreal, found that french is on the decline in quebec... wait, what? And their projections (the OQLF, not the studies executors.) put use of english up to THIRTEEN PERCENT! By 2036. It also placed the general use of french at home and work down to SEVENTY FIVE PERCENT by the same year.

So, of course: we can now expect the ruling party, which got into power by exploiting nationalism and xenophobia to ram through some new laws enhancing the use french by oppressing every other language through economic, cultural and social threats.

Long story short, we can expect to start seeing more vandalized statues and attacks on minority women on public transit in coming days.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users