Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  Shrug : (21 July 2018 - 05:23 PM)

Well, his gold isn't quite the color I associate with GPS and I see little, if any swirling in it. But hip ratchets in gold plastic that loudly clicked once only to be suddenly silenced. Hrmm. Messing with it now, one leg has no ratcheting and the other ratchets at something like 80 degrees apart.

@  Nevermore : (21 July 2018 - 03:37 PM)

I like that figure. :(

@  Nevermore : (21 July 2018 - 03:37 PM)

Please no GPS on HFTD Sea Spray...

@  Darth Gonzo : (21 July 2018 - 03:32 PM)

That moment when you realize GoBots is being talked about more then Transformers.

@  Shrug : (21 July 2018 - 02:11 PM)

Anyone have experience with HFTD Seaspray? I just bought a used one (for a buck!) and all his hip ratchets broke on first movement. Does he just generally have fragile ratchets or is GPS starting?

@  Paladin : (20 July 2018 - 09:24 PM)

Remember it, for it is the last thing you will hear before I *shuffle* EXPRESS MY FEELINGS IN SONG!!!!!!

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (20 July 2018 - 08:46 PM)

Blitzwing, eh?

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (20 July 2018 - 08:46 PM)

Huh.

@  wonko the sane? : (20 July 2018 - 06:29 PM)

He leaks his crankcase, then we all catch a few new dents.

@  TheMightyMol... : (20 July 2018 - 02:58 PM)

Quick, somebody put his hand in some warm oil and see what happens.

@  wonko the sane? : (20 July 2018 - 02:25 PM)

Guys, SSSHHHHH. Megatron is passed out right over there, and dude is a MEAN drunk. Don't wake him up.

@  Paladin : (20 July 2018 - 02:04 PM)

*checks Hasbro's offerings* so, never. :(

@  Jetstream C-18 : (20 July 2018 - 01:26 PM)

They're all hugged when Omega Supreme gets back

@  unluckiness : (20 July 2018 - 10:00 AM)

Megatron is hammered! Now, I, Starscream am leader of the Decepticons!

@  wonko the sane? : (20 July 2018 - 09:47 AM)

And megatron is so confused as to why no one is shooting at him anymore that he starts binge drinking.

@  unluckiness : (20 July 2018 - 08:46 AM)

Grimlock eats them for lunch.

@  Paladin : (20 July 2018 - 08:09 AM)

Optimus wants to free the Minicons. Ultra Magnus says it infringes states' rights.

@  wonko the sane? : (20 July 2018 - 08:07 AM)

So... the nicest beings in the universe are fighting with each other?

@  TheMightyMol... : (20 July 2018 - 08:01 AM)

No Decepticons. It's Autobots Civil War.

@  Gryllid : (20 July 2018 - 07:55 AM)

New York Comic Con is in October, maybe there?

@  Nevermore : (20 July 2018 - 05:49 AM)

So.. thus far, Hasbro only revealed Autobots for Siege. Any ideas which show they will reveal the Decepticons at?

@  Nevermore : (20 July 2018 - 05:44 AM)

So where did the "Stege" logo come from? All I can find is Sipher posting it an making fun of it. Where did that inconvenient version originate?

@  Sabrblade : (19 July 2018 - 11:53 PM)

True. But it was due to Transformers' use of the name that Saban at the time couldn't use it.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (19 July 2018 - 11:38 PM)

But that's not necessarily a reference, just an attempt to use "Technobable" name.

@  Sabrblade : (19 July 2018 - 10:57 PM)

It's not Power Rangers, but Saban's VR Troopers was originally going to be titled "Cybertron".

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (19 July 2018 - 09:26 PM)

@paladin Energon would be too obvious. That's why I like Ore-13. It's not overt.. but still a nice nod.

@  Paladin : (19 July 2018 - 08:05 PM)

the original Sentai called it "Enetron." all they have to change is ONE LETTER.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (19 July 2018 - 06:26 PM)

@saberblade True.. But I don't know.. I just want something simple like the "Energy source" in Beast Morphers to be Ore-13 or something like that.

@  Sabrblade : (19 July 2018 - 05:41 PM)

@Tm_Silverclaw: Operation Overdrive did have a weapon called the "Transtech Armor" ;)

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (19 July 2018 - 04:49 PM)

*sigh* This is going to be a long subline.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (19 July 2018 - 04:49 PM)

I already hate the overuse of "STEGE".

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (19 July 2018 - 04:16 PM)

I just want Power Ranger refferenes in TF and Vice versa now.

@  Onyxstrike : (19 July 2018 - 11:32 AM)

I think Hasbro might be after more than just my money this time around with these reveals.

@  Otaku : (18 July 2018 - 02:39 PM)

@TheMightyMollusk Thanks for clarifying.

@  TheMightyMol... : (18 July 2018 - 12:34 PM)

@Otaku, most people were oblivious. The smart ones did their emergency shopping the day before, so there wasn't much left anyway.

@  MEDdMI : (18 July 2018 - 09:37 AM)

@wonko Only happened a few times and I don't remember the exact details, but yeah.

@  Otaku : (18 July 2018 - 08:06 AM)

@TheMightyMollusk Is that really the same thing? I mean, it is if the people were casually shopping and oblivious to the danger to them or the employees of the store, but if they were desperately trying to get needed supplies themselves... or am I just supposed to be smart enough to know you wouldn't have brought it up if it wasn't the former? >_<

@  wonko the sane? : (18 July 2018 - 07:59 AM)

Okay, what? I've had to explain why the TV wouldn't work when the power is out to children, but never to an adult in their right mind.

@  MEDdMI : (18 July 2018 - 07:44 AM)

*When I worked at the cable call center, some people wondered why their TV wouldn't work when there was an outage...

@  MEDdMI : (18 July 2018 - 07:43 AM)

w

@  TheMightyMol... : (18 July 2018 - 03:11 AM)

We had people still trying to shop while we were being pushed by state police to shut the store down due to flooding. The police finally had to help herd them out.

@  MEDdMI : (17 July 2018 - 07:36 PM)

Or working for an airline and people complaining about not being able to take off in severe weather, and expecting us to know when the bad weather will end. *points at window*

@  MEDdMI : (17 July 2018 - 07:34 PM)

Outages/fire alarms are fun when you work retail and people complain that they can't keep shopping.

@  Echowarrior : (17 July 2018 - 07:11 PM)

Outages occasionally happened at the fulfillment center I used to work at. Never fun.

@  Nevermore : (17 July 2018 - 04:51 PM)

Apparently the early shift (i.e. those who didn't participate in the walkout) were sitting in the cafeteria, waiting for power to return, while the late shift couldn't even enter the building.

@  wonko the sane? : (17 July 2018 - 04:18 PM)

Oh, wow. I thought the news about the website outtage would have been the topper, but that pretty much wins.

@  Nevermore : (17 July 2018 - 04:14 PM)

Whoopsie.

First the union called for a two-day strike yesterday, and then today the entire city where the Amazon warehouse I work at is located apparently had a power outage.

So,uh. Seems like Amazon's Prime Day really didn't go well this year.

@  unluckiness : (17 July 2018 - 09:55 AM)

It wasn't just blander and more polite bacon like I was expecting

Photo

Looking for some advice: wants game for my nephew.

24 replies to this topic

#1 wonko the sane?

wonko the sane?

Oh dear lord I am bored...

• Citizen
  • 39453 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 11 November 2017 - 08:58 AM

Okay, so...

I just scavenged together a PC for my nephew. He's 9 years old (just recently even, in october.) and is mad about five nights at freddy's and slenderman, and he used to like minecraft, I'm unsure if he still does.

I want to leave some games on the system that would peak his interest and expand his palette, but really don't know where to start.

The computer itself is capable of running everything up to fallout 4, but I don't necessarily want to put the latest and greatest titles on there anyway.

I was thinking Risen, carmageddon, I want to put a flight sim on there and maybe a mechwarrior type of game for variety, but am finding myself stymied on titles.

Help? Please? Any suggestions would be great.

#2 2018

Merciless.

• Citizen
  • 42883 posts

Posted 11 November 2017 - 09:54 AM

Doom!

PM me if you're bored!

#3 The Predaking

The Predaking

Finally! A new Predaking is coming!

• Staff
  • 38114 posts
  • Faction::Predacon

Posted 11 November 2017 - 03:06 PM

Captain Forever Remix

Bioshock

Portal

Left 4 Dead

War Frame

Star Craft 1 and 2

Hearth stone

Restoring an Old Arcade Machine!

http://www.allspark....ade-game/page-2

#4 wonko the sane?

wonko the sane?

• Citizen
  • 39453 posts

Posted 11 November 2017 - 03:14 PM

Starcraft would be good... bioshock could work.

Trying to avoid online only games right now. Multiplayer communities tend to be... toxic: and I don't want to expose him to those kinds of problems yet. A few more years, yeah, but not right now.

#5 2018

Merciless.

• Citizen
  • 42883 posts

Posted 11 November 2017 - 09:51 PM

Also avoid F2P games like Warframe and Hearthstone since they can lead people down the dangerous path of microtransactions.

PM me if you're bored!

#6 Tm_Silverclaw

Tm_Silverclaw
  • Citizen
  • 10529 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 11 November 2017 - 10:25 PM

I agree with Doom+Doom 2.

Also, put some Emus on there so he can play some classics from the SNES and GBA era. 

Also, -if- IF the pc can handle it, Dolphin with eternal Darkness with his enjoying of the horror games.

#7 videomaster21XX

videomaster21XX

I wanna sing a song!

• Citizen
  • 4492 posts
  • Faction::Equestrian

Posted 12 November 2017 - 12:09 AM

Would Eternal Darkness be too much for a nine year old?

I'm trying to think of a horror type game that fits the age limit. Most of what pops into my mind might be a bit too disturbing for a young kid.

Though that being said. If you can get it to work I suggest: Are you afraid of the dark? The tale of Orpheo's curse.

It's a secret to everybody

Spoiler

#8 The Predaking

The Predaking

Finally! A new Predaking is coming!

• Staff
  • 38114 posts
  • Faction::Predacon

Posted 12 November 2017 - 01:16 AM

Also avoid F2P games like Warframe and Hearthstone since they can lead people down the dangerous path of microtransactions.

Well, he is a 9 year old so he can't really buy anything in either game unless he gets some one's credit card. 

Restoring an Old Arcade Machine!

http://www.allspark....ade-game/page-2

#9 2018

Merciless.

• Citizen
  • 42883 posts

Posted 12 November 2017 - 01:17 AM

Exactly!

PM me if you're bored!

#10 videomaster21XX

videomaster21XX

I wanna sing a song!

• Citizen
  • 4492 posts

Posted 12 November 2017 - 01:23 AM

It can happen a lot easier then one would think

Spoiler

#11 wonko the sane?

wonko the sane?

• Citizen
  • 39453 posts

Posted 12 November 2017 - 08:21 AM

I'm actually trying NOT to get him survival or horror games, as I want to leave him a selection to try other gendres and styles. Probably I'll get him a copy of deadspace eventually, as well as some of the other classic survival horror games (Actually let him play the original resident evil on the playstation a while back. He did incredibly well, even realizing you could mix the herds you found after reading the book in game. But he still got bored in less than an hour. It was too "puzzle solving" and not enough "action" for his current tastes.), but I want him to grow up some more first.

We've got some good suggestions in here though.

Still looking for a flight sim, and mech sim. Preferably games that don't require more hardware like joysticks. I'm already out 120 on his free computer.

#12 Rust

Rust

Slightly Off

• Supporter
  • 43673 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 12 November 2017 - 09:36 AM

Wasted sounds right up his alley.

Numbers 24:17

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. Plato

#13 2018

Merciless.

• Citizen
  • 42883 posts

Posted 12 November 2017 - 09:42 AM

The problem with mecha games are that they're mostly clunky and slow. Mechwarrior 4 might be okay if you can get it working, since it streamlined the interface, but I heard it has compatibility issues. Titanfall 2 is probably the most accessible mecha game for normies, and most JP ones are console only.

As for a flight sim...Kerbal Space Program? Not really what you want but might be goofy enough to get him into science.

PM me if you're bored!

#14 videomaster21XX

videomaster21XX

I wanna sing a song!

• Citizen
  • 4492 posts

Posted 12 November 2017 - 10:27 AM

But he still got bored in less than an hour. It was too "puzzle solving" and not enough "action" for his current tastes.), but I want him to grow up some more first.

Okay now this brings up a concern. Resident Evil was too 'puzzle solving' and you want to get him a flight sim and mech sim?

I can safely predict that he'll hate both of them. Then again I don't consider Titanfall 2 a mech sim, and more just a mech game.

For a game that HAS mechs, and not really a 'sim' I think Titanfall 2 is perfect.

Spoiler

#15 2018

Merciless.

• Citizen
  • 42883 posts

Posted 12 November 2017 - 10:29 AM

Yeah I mean, you don't want to overload him.

PM me if you're bored!

#16 Fero McPigletron

Fero McPigletron

Not a Maverick! Maybe.

• Citizen
  • 7231 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 12 November 2017 - 10:42 AM

Your nephew is mad about five nights and Slenderman? And got bored after a while on Resident Evil? Your nephew is awesome!

I guess he's not into cutesy mascot games (ala Sonic etc).

Give him Undertale and blow his mind.

FWXOT0z.gifphoto_zpsa2a20628.gif

Toy Drama Theater - 1 minute episodes of Transformers (and others) having drama in their lives

https://www.youtube....CateRo5nEbdkDhF

#17 wonko the sane?

wonko the sane?

• Citizen
  • 39453 posts

Posted 12 November 2017 - 10:50 AM

The goal isn't to get him into other games, the goal is to give him a wide option to let him discover what else he might like. So far, all he really knows about gaming is fnaf, slenderman, and call of duty zombies. I'm just trying to expand his pallet a little. I don't care if he ends up liking sports games so long as it's what he chose.

#18 Rust

Rust

Slightly Off

• Supporter
  • 43673 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 12 November 2017 - 11:13 AM

Baldur's Gate is another option to be a gateway into RPGs. I'd normally offer a Bethesda title but the modding community for those games tends to skew into disgusting smut and better to avoid that sort of thing for the time being.

EDIT: Steam's got Civilization 5 Complete on sale for less then a buck. I'd definitely include that.

Edited by Rust, 12 November 2017 - 11:15 AM.

Numbers 24:17

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. Plato

#19 ZakuConvoy

ZakuConvoy
  • Citizen
  • 388 posts

Posted 12 November 2017 - 06:04 PM

Gigantic Army might be good for a mech game.  It's more like Cybernator, so more combat based.

Limbo might be a good idea.  He'd probably dig the art style, but it's more of a platformer.

Grim Fandango Remastered might peak his interest.

As far as RPGs....I'm tempted to suggest something Shin Megami Tensei-ish, but *Looks over at Mara* that might be a little questionable.  

Evoland 2 has a neat gimmick.

Then there's stuff like Shovel Knight, Castle in the Darkness, and Braid.  Don't know if he'd be interested since it might not LOOK like something he'd like, though.  Maybe something Castlevania-ish?

Edited by ZakuConvoy, 12 November 2017 - 06:14 PM.

#20 wonko the sane?

wonko the sane?

• Citizen
  • 39453 posts

Posted 12 November 2017 - 07:26 PM

I've got an emulator pi rig, and he's shown little to no interest in older styled games. He'd happily and willingly play them, but never usually for very long before either moving onto another one to try, or just running off to do something else.

So, current list for his "new" rig.

Fallout 3

More than likely original skyrim (not like he knows how to mod anyway.)

Starbound

minecraft

bioshock

carmageddon

Rogue legacy (it combines random generation, choice of perks, and side scrolling action. It's got a good variety.)

Mechwarrior 4

And I still need a flight sim. I would like to get him one with optional combat... or just really good combat. He likes shooting stuff, what can I say?

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users