Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  RichardT1977 : (11 December 2017 - 12:44 PM)

*sigh* We are so wonderfully, awesomely lame.

@  D Buster Prime : (11 December 2017 - 12:30 AM)

Game over Boyzz!

@  D Buster Prime : (11 December 2017 - 12:29 AM)

Time to put on your 3D glasses!

@  Shrug : (10 December 2017 - 09:55 PM)

Looks like lasers are back on the menu, boys!

@  RichardT1977 : (10 December 2017 - 06:44 PM)

It's Laser Time, Boyz!

@  TriBlurr : (10 December 2017 - 06:23 PM)

Listen up y'all! Your the Boyz brigade. When its laser Time put on the 3D shades

@  RichardT1977 : (10 December 2017 - 04:51 PM)

You know he fights the Corp, he's the Bots Master!

@  Dracula : (10 December 2017 - 04:45 PM)

anime ja nai

@  Liege : (10 December 2017 - 01:07 PM)

ZZ for short.

@  TheMightyMol... : (10 December 2017 - 10:37 AM)

I understood that reference.

@  Bass X0 : (10 December 2017 - 09:25 AM)

But Ziv Zulander doesn't.

@  Paladin : (10 December 2017 - 09:08 AM)

"Zoolander" sucks.

@  Nutjob R/T : (09 December 2017 - 12:11 AM)

Are you serious? I just told you like, a second ago

@  Shrug : (08 December 2017 - 10:38 PM)

But why male models?

@  BlackMax : (08 December 2017 - 06:30 PM)

Because they're too big for carrier pidgeons...?

@  Shrug : (08 December 2017 - 02:16 PM)

But why male models?

@  RichardT1977 : (08 December 2017 - 10:42 AM)

This is what I'm saying.

@  TheMightyMol... : (08 December 2017 - 10:40 AM)

....Can a word really be a portmanteau of itself?

@  RichardT1977 : (08 December 2017 - 10:03 AM)

And was "fowl" supposed to be a portmanteau of "fowl" and "owl"? Because...

@  MEDdMI : (08 December 2017 - 09:04 AM)

@Patchouli Norman...? *looks up pics* HAHAHAHAA yessssss!!! :D

@  TheMightyMol... : (08 December 2017 - 01:10 AM)

Fowl, actually.

@  RichardT1977 : (07 December 2017 - 11:33 PM)

Back to Mighty Max: Am I the only one who thought at first that Virgil was an owl until someone said otherwise?

@  RichardT1977 : (07 December 2017 - 11:29 PM)

(N/M, it was Gary Chalk)

@  Echowarrior : (07 December 2017 - 08:45 PM)

I second that Exosquad revival. It had awesome toys and the VAs are all still alive...so far as I know.

@  Patchouli Kn... : (07 December 2017 - 07:25 PM)

Also, can confirm that Allspark user TheMightyMollusk is the real-life counterpart of Norman

@  Patchouli Kn... : (07 December 2017 - 07:16 PM)

The Mighty Max intro theme was rad as hell

@  RichardT1977 : (07 December 2017 - 06:17 PM)

So, syndicated stuff that Rob Paulsen did in the 90s isn't going to DVD, huh?

@  D.M : (07 December 2017 - 05:40 PM)

Yeah, whatever is going on with Mighty Max? They haven't even reran it after its original run (unlike, for example, The Mask which too awaits a DVD release).

@  Vexwing : (07 December 2017 - 03:56 PM)

I just want 90's nostalgia to progress to the point someone finally releases Mighty Max on DVD.

@  Dekafox : (07 December 2017 - 03:11 PM)

Maybe someone will revive Exosquad and finally resolve that ending cliffhanger

@  TheMightyMol... : (07 December 2017 - 02:21 PM)

I'm waiting for 90s nostalgia to hit the point that someone tries to bring back Extreme Dinosaurs.

@  Locoman : (07 December 2017 - 01:41 PM)

You know you're really scraping the bottom of the barrel of 80's nostalgia when you're trying to bring back the Sectaurs, of all things....

@  Shrug : (07 December 2017 - 08:17 AM)

Wowza. I haven't played any kind of 3D video game with those third person conversations for some time. They look super awkward once you're not used to them.

@  Waspinator : (06 December 2017 - 04:48 AM)

And the award for best title drop goes to.

@  TheMightyMol... : (06 December 2017 - 01:09 AM)

Epic Mickey: Backstroke of the West.

@  Locoman : (05 December 2017 - 11:32 PM)

Pete has come himself! Okay! Then I shall get Pete to fight me! Heh heh huh!

@  Jetstream C-18 : (05 December 2017 - 09:37 PM)

Something strange has happened! Now there are TWO Mickey Mice!

@  Jetstream C-18 : (05 December 2017 - 09:36 PM)

Wait. Fox owns Star TV? As in the Star TV that aired the Omni dubs?

@  Shrug : (05 December 2017 - 09:33 PM)

Long ago in a distant land, I, Mickey, the shape shifting master of darkness, unleashed an unspeakable evil. But a foolish samurai warrior wielding a magic sword stepped forth to oppose me. Before the final blow was struck, I tore open a portal in time, and flung him into the future where my evil is law. Now the fool seeks to return to the past and undo the future that is Mouse.

@  ZakuConvoy : (05 December 2017 - 09:11 PM)

Who's the master of the Earth and all that he surveys? M-I-C...

@  Echowarrior : (05 December 2017 - 07:58 PM)

They'll never own the Green Bay Packers.

@  Locoman : (05 December 2017 - 07:17 PM)

Soon Disney will own every franchise on Earth, but on the plus side maybe we'll get to see Homer and Zoidberg in the next Kingdom Hearts game.

@  TheMightyMol... : (05 December 2017 - 06:02 PM)

Every Movie Thread Ever, go!

@  Pennpenn : (05 December 2017 - 04:20 PM)

I probably could have tolerated the explosions and scrap metal bots if the main human character's initial set up hadn't been "pointless white male teen pathetically trying to get his leg over an attractive girl". The universe never needed more of that kind of thing.

@  Bass X0 : (05 December 2017 - 02:58 PM)

Can't a man block it out?

@  TheMightyMol... : (05 December 2017 - 12:44 PM)

The sun gives us light and warmth and life, doesn't mean I can't hate it. Accursed daystar.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (05 December 2017 - 12:20 PM)

I will never hate the movies because the avalanche of money and attention they have provided the brand with has given us toys that were unthinkable a decade ago.

@  TheMightyMol... : (05 December 2017 - 10:28 AM)

The real question is how many poops have they tasted to determine the flavor qualifications.

@  Noideaforaname : (05 December 2017 - 09:54 AM)

(the hell is my phone doing to the shout box??)

@  Noideaforaname : (05 December 2017 - 09:53 AM)

-ment includes "what does an objectively good poop taste like" i'm running the other way

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Oh my god Transformers Animated is so good!

107 replies to this topic

#61 HellCat

HellCat

Opinionated idiot

• Citizen
  • 25634 posts

Posted 12 November 2017 - 11:25 AM

Can a bigger and stronger human level a city block?

Animated specifically went out of its way to make the Decepticons be one man armies to even a team of Autobots, including Elite Guard officers. They are living weapons in a way humans never could be, hence why I said '10ft tall with super powers' as my attempt to compare Animated Cybertronian society to a human one. Unless I've missed something, there are no 10ft humans with super powers running around.

The timeline presented in the Almanac actually addresses my initial concern since it does underline that there was imbalance in the society but the Decepticons are extremists who have twisted the apparently genuine oppression of their ancestors into a convenient line to excuse to their own greed. We can likely assume the Destrons may well have been giant power houses too but didn't have their splinter group's thirst for conquest. Hence how they were able to be 'oppressed'.

I'm more than willing to acknowledge where official sources actually address or explain the things about the setting that left me confused or I felt were lacking.

#62 Copper Bezel

Copper Bezel

A consideration pools interesting

• Staff
  • 42605 posts
  • Faction::Equestrian

Posted 12 November 2017 - 11:32 AM

Animated specifically went out of its way to make the Decepticons be one man armies to even a team of Autobots, including Elite Guard officers. They are living weapons in a way humans never could be, hence why I said '10ft tall with super powers' as my attempt to compare Animated Cybertronian society to a human one. Unless I've missed something, there are no 10ft humans with super powers running around.

I actually just posted and deleted a reply absolving you of the X-Men interpretation that I felt we'd disabused you of. Clearly this is not the case.

They're a small faction separate from Autobot society by the time they're weaponized. I don't ... there's nothing to add to that, it just is. Whatever you are picturing here is entirely incorrect. Regardless of the Almanac, there is no reason to assume X-Men when the show goes out of its way to tell us how babies are made and it's "not like that".

Shouldn't gravity be doing something?

Of course there's a figure of Rodimus as some kind of animal girl. Why would I be surprised by this?

#63 HellCat

HellCat

Opinionated idiot

• Citizen
  • 25634 posts

Posted 12 November 2017 - 11:34 AM

Differences are one of the key causes of oppression/prejudice. The most notable difference of the Decepticons, by intent, is their size and power. there I could only assume this might be the root of the issue.

I'm not sure why this is apparently so offensive to people from the word go. I feel it's a valid flaw in the narrative, hence why I compared it to a similar criticism I had of the species divide in Beast Wars. Yet apparently I've offended various people with this like I invented something entirely from fanon and am pushing it as canon.

Last I checked, I don't have a pet snake.

#64 Copper Bezel

Copper Bezel

• Staff
  • 42605 posts

Posted 12 November 2017 - 11:42 AM

Differences are one of the key causes of oppression/prejudice. The most notable difference of the Decepticons, by intent, is their size and power. there I could only assume this might be the root of the issue.

The move from "can" to "must" is where this logic breaks down, and in this case, all of the evidence that the Decepticons' "difference" was by choice was in the text from the beginning and regardless of any auxiliary media. So yes, this is where your mistake began, and perhaps it was a reasonable hypothesis until it was contradicted within the series, such as when protoforms were introduced and it became clear that there were no genetic accidents leading to special mutants or whatever and no genetic lineages at all, and particularly when we found that Autobot and Decepticon protoforms were the same in the finale.

Pressing the continued retrospective validity of your interpretation after it's been debunked is very foolish. It is impossible to square with the complete series even ignoring the Almanac.

Edited by Copper Bezel, 12 November 2017 - 11:42 AM.

Of course there's a figure of Rodimus as some kind of animal girl. Why would I be surprised by this?

#65 HellCat

HellCat

Opinionated idiot

• Citizen
  • 25634 posts

Posted 12 November 2017 - 11:47 AM

Then I guess we agree to disagree? I feel I've hit on an unsatisfactory part of Animated's lore and am speculating on it using canon. I'm apparently doing a terrible job at communicating that and worse am pissing people off as they seem to feel instead I'm running with some crack theory that to them comes from a non-hole in their opinion of the show.

I'd really rather not piss people off for just trying to speculate about a robot cartoon.

#66 Jim S

Jim S

Evil Genius

• Citizen
  • 1366 posts
  • Faction::Unicron's Spawn

Posted 12 November 2017 - 11:52 AM

Animated also consistently shows that 5 or so well-organized non-combatant Autobots are about a match for 1-2 Decepticons. So, yeah, I think it's ENTIRELY possible that the Decepticons COULD be oppressed. We don't even know what percentage of society Decepticons make up. (Not counting guys born on Earth, there are about a hundred canon Autobots and maybe 40 canon Decepticons in Animated, so in the show and ancillary material that's about 30%)

That said, I don't think they WERE oppressed. 

#67 Copper Bezel

Copper Bezel

• Staff
  • 42605 posts

Posted 12 November 2017 - 12:11 PM

Then I guess we agree to disagree?

Why? Why would I agree that you should disagree with me and the text? If you want to be obstinately wrong and insist that the details you noticed in the show are more important than the ones you didn't, I can't stop you, but I do not agee that this is a sensible option. 

#68 HellCat

HellCat

Opinionated idiot

• Citizen
  • 25634 posts

Posted 12 November 2017 - 12:26 PM

Then I guess we agree to disagree?

Why? Why would I agree that you should disagree with me and the text? If you want to be obstinately wrong and insist that the details you noticed in the show are more important than the ones you didn't, I can't stop you, but I do not agee that this is a sensible option. 

Primarily because I feel I have a valid point but one I really don't want to cause anymore stress over by continuing to argue and apparently communicate so poorly people don't seem to get what I'm saying.

Not saying I'm right, just that I don't feel any of the responses here have majorly given me reason to change my opinion on this issue. Plus the thread wasn't made specifically for this discussion, hence why I did things like mention the theme song to show I didn't want to drown it in what I'd started.

#69 Copper Bezel

Copper Bezel

• Staff
  • 42605 posts

Posted 12 November 2017 - 12:35 PM

Not saying I'm right, just that I don't feel any of the responses here have majorly given me reason to change my opinion on this issue.

Then no evidence would suffice, and I can only agree that you are disagreeable. Your reading is unsupportable. Period.

Particularly this X-Men biology argument that it depends so fundamentally on, for which, for instance, you offered the evidence of the pack-in comic and completely ignored and failed to address my counterargument of the Starscream clones while I was countering the details of the comic argument. That's an example, but it's representative; you are not engaging with the evidence against your case in the way that others are engaging with your evidence for it. Of course you don't find the responses compelling, because we're not talking about them, we're stuck repeatedly countering the individual points you've selected in support of your argument. 

Edited by Copper Bezel, 12 November 2017 - 12:36 PM.

#70 HellCat

HellCat

Opinionated idiot

• Citizen
  • 25634 posts

Posted 12 November 2017 - 01:12 PM

The comic is a key part of my argument because I can't understand why they'd need to splice Starscream's data into existing Autobots if they could just create new ones. Clearly the Autobots needed a new kind of soldier so why not create brand new flying Autobots and train them directly under the Elite Guard? The fact that they don't to me suggests they can't and the comic almost treats it like trying to splice a human with an animal.

#71 Copper Bezel

Copper Bezel

• Staff
  • 42605 posts

Posted 12 November 2017 - 01:18 PM

But the Starscream clones. :Shrug:

Obviously they opted not to simply create Starscreams. I honestly think it was for convenience of plot and tension and reinforcing the Autobots' unethical practices and experimentation. It's also possible that the protoform mold affects personality or something, or that they wanted Autobot technologies plus flight rather than a pure Decepticon body, or whatnot. 

#72 HellCat

HellCat

Opinionated idiot

• Citizen
  • 25634 posts

Posted 12 November 2017 - 01:31 PM

But the Starscream clones. :Shrug:

Obviously they opted not to simply create Starscreams. I honestly think it was for convenience of plot and tension and reinforcing the Autobots' unethical practices and experimentation. It's also possible that the protoform mold affects personality or something, or that they wanted Autobot technologies plus flight rather than a pure Decepticon body, or whatnot. 

But that's the point I've been making. That my reading is that Decepticon bodies come with the violent personality and the Autobots literally can't just birth a stable Autobot flyer. They have to take the flight capability from an existing Decepticon and splice it into an existing Autobot.

Like if I have angel and gingerbread man cookie cutters, slice the wings off an angel and stick them on the gingerbread man.

(if nothing else we are seeing how crap I am at visual metaphors).

#73 Tyranno

Tyranno

Let's not lose our heads

• Citizen
  • 34042 posts

Posted 12 November 2017 - 01:31 PM

I've fallen out of love with Animated, but honestly, how the Decepticons got kicked off is already explained. Omega Supreme was too much of a big deal for them to handle. Heck, it's pretty clear they were WINNING beforehand.

Also, a bunch of the Autobots being jerkasses and Megatron being full of bullhockey are not mutually exclusive concepts.

"Disabled people donít have special needs. We have very reasonable human needs. Our needs include freedom from abuse, violence, and mistreatment, the right to autonomy and self-direction, the right to represent ourselves, equal opportunity for education and employment, the right to accommodation, and societal inclusion and acceptance.

The need for accommodation isnít a ďspecial needĒ. Itís a basic human right. Itís a leveling of the playing field that allows us the same opportunities and chances as non-disabled people."

- Amethyst Schaber, http://neurowonderful.tumblr.com/

#74 HellCat

HellCat

Opinionated idiot

• Citizen
  • 25634 posts

Posted 12 November 2017 - 01:34 PM

Pg9nt.gif

#75 Broadside

Broadside

THE DOG?!?!

• Citizen
  • 8823 posts
  • Faction::Cannonball's Pirate Crew

Posted 12 November 2017 - 01:35 PM

I always read it as "Autobot SPARKS are different to Decepticon ones". For what it's worth.

Edited by Broadside, 12 November 2017 - 01:36 PM.

card-rewind.jpg

#76 Tyranno

Tyranno

Let's not lose our heads

• Citizen
  • 34042 posts

Posted 12 November 2017 - 01:37 PM

That being said, Hellcat is right, the comic makes it pretty explicit only Decepticons are "coded" to be able to fly from the get go.

"Disabled people donít have special needs. We have very reasonable human needs. Our needs include freedom from abuse, violence, and mistreatment, the right to autonomy and self-direction, the right to represent ourselves, equal opportunity for education and employment, the right to accommodation, and societal inclusion and acceptance.

The need for accommodation isnít a ďspecial needĒ. Itís a basic human right. Itís a leveling of the playing field that allows us the same opportunities and chances as non-disabled people."

- Amethyst Schaber, http://neurowonderful.tumblr.com/

#77 Blot

Blot

Grumble grumble complain grouse.

• Citizen
  • 6437 posts
  • Faction::Decepticon

Posted 12 November 2017 - 01:42 PM

Pg9nt.gif

"Making the Allspark Almanac more than just a book of character models was a mistake" - Hayao Miyazaki

#78 HellCat

HellCat

Opinionated idiot

• Citizen
  • 25634 posts

Posted 12 November 2017 - 02:03 PM

maxresdefault.jpg

#79 Copper Bezel

Copper Bezel

• Staff
  • 42605 posts

Posted 12 November 2017 - 03:02 PM

That being said, Hellcat is right, the comic makes it pretty explicit only Decepticons are "coded" to be able to fly from the get go.

If that was HellCat's argument, it would have been a very short exchange.

But that's the point I've been making. That my reading is that Decepticon bodies come with the violent personality and the Autobots literally can't just birth a stable Autobot flyer. They have to take the flight capability from an existing Decepticon and splice it into an existing Autobot.

If the Autobots created fully-formed Decepticons to use as soldiers and then they rebelled, the Autobots would hardly need Starscream to access the technology to do so again. That means in addition to it being impossible that Autobots created Decepticons by accident, it is also impossible that they created them on purpose. Therefore, the Autobots did not create the Decepticons, at least as they now appear. Starscream's code includes technologies Autobots don't have, therefore he was molded after the war started, therefore it's a multigenerational conflict. There's no getting around the not-X-Men of it, the Decepticons are a self-made faction with their own technology who look the way they do by choice.

Edited by Copper Bezel, 12 November 2017 - 03:11 PM.

#80 Jim S

Jim S

Evil Genius

• Citizen
  • 1366 posts
  • Faction::Unicron's Spawn

Posted 12 November 2017 - 03:24 PM

Another factor is that we've got at least two confirmed and two more implied cases of Autobots defecting to the Decepticons. (Swindle and Lockdown.)

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users