Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  wonko the sane? : (18 November 2017 - 08:37 AM)

You won't be at school or work anymore... so mitigated success.

@  TheMightyMol... : (17 November 2017 - 05:21 PM)

Just don't try to plug yourself into an outlet. It won't end well.

@  Bass X0 : (17 November 2017 - 04:57 PM)

Trying to stay awake at work or school is a lot like using your controller when it's on low battery

@  Pennpenn : (17 November 2017 - 10:31 AM)

If you're used to doing it with tabs, that makes sense. It doesn't feel weird for me.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (17 November 2017 - 10:28 AM)

Also, it just feels weird if switching between webpages uses the same actions as switching between programs.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (17 November 2017 - 10:21 AM)

I switch between different things on the browser and click on various plugins and stuff far more often than switching from program to program.

@  Pennpenn : (17 November 2017 - 10:19 AM)

Yeah I'm mostly just venting from frustration rather than trying to convince anyone, though @NotVeryNightly I will point out that the windows for the other programs I'm running are at the bottom of the screen as well.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (17 November 2017 - 10:09 AM)

Tabs are on the top, near the address bar, browser tools, plugins and whatnot so the cursor will be there frequently anyway. Switching windows would require going down the screen.

@  Shrug : (17 November 2017 - 10:03 AM)

I mean, you do you. No bigs. You've just got a fairly unique stance that surprised me.

@  Shrug : (17 November 2017 - 09:54 AM)

I haven't seen words on the bottom bar of the screen since XP.

@  Pennpenn : (17 November 2017 - 09:13 AM)

All of which is put on the point that I don't care if people want to use tabs, I just want the option to not have them present for me on my browser.

@  Pennpenn : (17 November 2017 - 09:12 AM)

@Shrug- A quick glance at the bottom of the screen shows me what is open and where. Load times are basically so trivial that the load indicator on a tab is something I didn't notice until you mentioned it. The "which instance is playing noise" is a fair point but has basically only really been approaching meaningful for me maybe twice in all the time tabs have existed.

@  Pennpenn : (17 November 2017 - 09:07 AM)

@NotveryKnightly- I have never encountered a situation where that is true, especially given that tabs are on the other side of the screen to the other things I'm switching through.

@  Pennpenn : (17 November 2017 - 09:06 AM)

@ Nevermore- The windows at the bottom have the names of the websites on them, presuming you don't collapse them.

@  Shrug : (17 November 2017 - 08:08 AM)

Geez, this is reminding me of the awful pre-tab days.

@  Shrug : (17 November 2017 - 08:07 AM)

I can look at the tab to see if it hasn't finished loading yet. Now you can see which tab is playing sound, so no need to hunt through windows to find a video ad that started playing.

@  Shrug : (17 November 2017 - 08:07 AM)

And a quick glance lets me know whats open and where. No clicking multiple windows hunting for something. No waiting for some window preview to pop up (which wasn't available when tabs first started.)

@  NotVeryKnightly : (17 November 2017 - 06:03 AM)

Switching between tabs is way quicker than between windows.

@  Nevermore : (17 November 2017 - 04:09 AM)

It's like having a clear structore with sub-directores, instead of just having all files on your computer stored in one giant directory.

@  Nevermore : (17 November 2017 - 04:08 AM)

This way, I can switch between windows and then select the tab, instead of always trying to remember which window is for which website.

@  Nevermore : (17 November 2017 - 04:07 AM)

I find one browser window with multiple tabs a lot easier to handle alongside other windows than multiple browser windows alongside other windows.

@  Nevermore : (17 November 2017 - 04:06 AM)

I find multiple tabs a lot more comfortable than multiple windows.

@  Nevermore : (17 November 2017 - 04:06 AM)

erm... no?

@  Pennpenn : (17 November 2017 - 03:26 AM)

On mobile devices and whatever I understand why tabs would be a thing, but on a full desktop browser it's just- "Hey, here's a thing that's kind of like opening a new window, but objectively worse in every practical way"

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (17 November 2017 - 01:41 AM)

Someone remind me again: which versions of the CW Hot Spot mold did not suffer from bad hip ratcheting?

@  BlackMax : (16 November 2017 - 06:33 PM)

Holy crap I just pushed the F11 key for the first time on a keyboard since about 1994.

@  Shrug : (16 November 2017 - 01:11 PM)

tabs being wretched bs is definitely an opinion I've never seen before

@  RC85747 : (16 November 2017 - 08:25 AM)

Vivaldi lets you hide the tab bar

@  Pennpenn : (16 November 2017 - 07:45 AM)

Yeah but that gets rid of everything else as well.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (16 November 2017 - 07:33 AM)

Hit F11 Pennpenn

@  Pennpenn : (16 November 2017 - 04:15 AM)

I get that people like tabs. Fine. Whatever. I just detest the fact that most current browsers don't let you have the option of just hiding the bar away so I don't have to even think about the wretched bullshit things.

@  Pennpenn : (16 November 2017 - 04:06 AM)

Does anyone know of a browser that doesn't force tabs on you? Just... any sodding browser that doesn't have tabs.

@  Telly : (16 November 2017 - 01:59 AM)

being mostly wrong is better than being TOTALLY wrong!

@  BlackMax : (15 November 2017 - 09:26 PM)

ALL HAIL THE BLESSED OCTOBUTT.

@  Strafe : (15 November 2017 - 08:24 PM)

I really hope so. All of my high school drawings and notes (Hand-written notes! God, I'm old.) from girls are in a chest in the attic of my parents house. I'll check when I visit!

@  MEDdMI : (15 November 2017 - 06:39 PM)

Do you still have those drawings?

@  BlackMax : (15 November 2017 - 06:31 PM)

I think lesbian ninjas is just an unmitigated good idea. *shrug*

@  Devcon : (15 November 2017 - 05:56 PM)

well, that and Balloon Doggies, Mr secretary

@  Strafe : (15 November 2017 - 04:12 PM)

It's my crowning Allspark achievement! You're welcome.

@  Strafe : (15 November 2017 - 04:05 PM)

"Someone" being me. No mystery to it, I used to draw a lot during class when I was in high school. I came up with lesbian ninjas, which were a specialized team of assassins with amazing hair and impeccable style. I scanned some of my drawings and mentioned them a few times on the ezboard 17 years ago, and people seemed to like the idea.

@  Copper Bezel : (15 November 2017 - 01:05 PM)

Thanks in any case!

@  Copper Bezel : (15 November 2017 - 01:05 PM)

Oh, wow. That is ages ago. 

@  Telly : (15 November 2017 - 01:03 PM)

ages ago meaning when the spark was still on ezboard

@  Telly : (15 November 2017 - 01:02 PM)

i think maybe it was part of a title of a movie someone posted ages ago and the "lesbian ninja" part stood out and people just latched on to it. please note this is possibly totally and completely wrong cause my memory is terrible anymore

@  Copper Bezel : (15 November 2017 - 12:11 PM)

I don't think it's a fandom thing, I think it's an Allspark thing. Or that's been my perception. Mayhem has some lesbian ninja regulars now but I think the reference is much older. = ] 

@  Robowang : (15 November 2017 - 11:02 AM)

Who knows. I always thought it was stupid.

@  RichardT1977 : (15 November 2017 - 10:31 AM)

What is this fandom's deal with lesbian ninjas? Is it some fantheory about Nightbird or something?

@  OrionPax44 : (15 November 2017 - 08:26 AM)

Huh my phone didn't even alert me for some reason. Guess it only does on the Mayhem Discord Hangouts??

@  BlackMax : (14 November 2017 - 09:41 PM)

Telly, you are FIRED as my PR agent. :D

@  Telly : (14 November 2017 - 09:05 PM)

you all dont know what you missed. there was fun. there were games. lesbian ninjas. tang and even a couple human sacrifices.

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Oh my god Transformers Animated is so good!

107 replies to this topic

#41 Sabrblade

Sabrblade
  • Citizen
  • 23151 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 11 November 2017 - 12:05 PM

The HD widescreen version does look a little nicer than the cropped SD fullscreen version, though.

"When there's gold feathers, punch behind you!!"
QUOTE(Bass X0 @ Aug 17 2013, 08:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think the concept of being educated and being able to educate is something that more people need more of in their lives.

No, we don't all know everything but we should spread and share that what we do know.

If I'm consistently misspelling a word, I would want and expect people to correct me as should I imagine all decent people who know the value of good literacy.

Its just arrogant laziness to know you're spelling a word incorrectly and not correct yourself or ignore the advice when people do tell you how to spell a word correctly.

#42 HellCat

HellCat

Opinionated idiot

• Citizen
  • 25469 posts

Posted 11 November 2017 - 12:32 PM

Aha, it is in the Almanac, Hellcat. At least according to that writeup, the split was about 1 Bya, but the Destrons were a partner in the Cybertronian pastiche. There was a war 300 Mya in which the Destrons felt used and underappreciated for doing most of the fighting, but it didn't break down outright until the Decepticons split from the Destrons' ranks "just" 70 Mya, and Megatron later took control of that faction for his own agenda. 

So we have the Destrons as a soldier class who feel slighted for too much work and the Decepticons later emerge as extremists/lose sight of even those roots?

I'm a little dubious on how canon the Almanacs can be but I suppose it's the best answer we're likely to get now.

#43 NotVeryKnightly

NotVeryKnightly
  • Staff
  • 16976 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 11 November 2017 - 12:34 PM

I'm assuming by "canon" you mean "the cartoon was created with this kind of backstory in mind" rather than just "this is officially part of that universe".

Edited by NotVeryKnightly, 11 November 2017 - 12:34 PM.

#44 HellCat

HellCat

Opinionated idiot

• Citizen
  • 25469 posts

Posted 11 November 2017 - 12:38 PM

Bit of both. 

#45 Copper Bezel

Copper Bezel

First, we take Thanksgiving

• Staff
  • 41871 posts
  • Faction::Equestrian

Posted 11 November 2017 - 12:39 PM

Yeah, that's apparently the official story. 

TpS8x8N.png

And I agree, I wouldn't take the fine points as absolutely useful in informing a reading of the cartoon they weren't attached to, as much as I love the smack of historical realism in this sequence of events. Just emphasizes the point that this is a multi-generational history (which I took as already obvious, but) and that any "species" division is subsequent to political division, not the cause of it. 

Edit: Which, again ... think is the natural assumption from the cartoon already, but. 

Edited by Copper Bezel, 11 November 2017 - 12:40 PM.

Shouldn't gravity be doing something?

Of course there's a figure of Rodimus as some kind of animal girl. Why would I be surprised by this?

#46 Creature SH

Creature SH

Condimented

• Supporter
  • 5694 posts
  • Faction::Dinobot

Posted 11 November 2017 - 02:16 PM

Yeah, the official history really kinda says that the Decepticons have some legitimacy as an uprising. The "while not reaping equal benefits" clinches it, even if we disregard Nova Prime's actions as too long ago and irrelevant.

j1GI7Gi.gif

#47 Copper Bezel

Copper Bezel

• Staff
  • 41871 posts

Posted 11 November 2017 - 02:48 PM

It prevents them being entirely cartoonish evil for the sake of it from the start, although there's a quibble in that in that we don't know just how much Megatron shifted the goals of the faction. The implication is, quite a lot, and for good or ill, Megatron is straight up cartoon evil-and-loving-it himself.

One point of interest is that we don't know what happened to all the Destrons who weren't Decepticons. Presumably they had similar technology and appearances but weren't at war with the Autobots. 

Of course there's a figure of Rodimus as some kind of animal girl. Why would I be surprised by this?

#48 xZAOx

xZAOx

ALL HAIL GALVACRON

• Citizen
  • 5491 posts

Posted 11 November 2017 - 02:58 PM

For me, it ranks as number 3, with Beast Wars in first place and Rescue Bots in second.

If you loved the show, you'll love all the extra material it got in printed form. Recommended reads include:

While not "official", there's also Trial and Error. https://tfnation.com...able at TFN2017

Marty and Wyatt weren't involved, but Jim Sorenson was, who did a lot of work on the Almanacs and such. I believe it's supposed to follow the season 4 plot points in the Almanac, but I only read Trial and Error at TFCon and haven't refreshed my memory on what the Almanac said in a while hehe. Either way, it was a real good read.

#49 Chris McFeely

Chris McFeely

That was then, this is now.

• Citizen
  • 8848 posts

Posted 11 November 2017 - 03:24 PM

Either way, it was a real good read.

*finger guns*

#50 Sabrblade

Sabrblade
  • Citizen
  • 23151 posts

Posted 12 November 2017 - 01:44 AM

I didn't include Trial & Error because it isn't as easy to come by as the mass market/Fun Pub printed media. Regardless of how recommended it is, its release was so limited as to be readable (in a legitimate manner) by only a select portion of the fandom.

That's also why I didn't include the Japanese 10th anniversary fan book as well, as wonderful as it is.

Edited by Sabrblade, 12 November 2017 - 02:12 AM.

"When there's gold feathers, punch behind you!!"
QUOTE(Bass X0 @ Aug 17 2013, 08:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think the concept of being educated and being able to educate is something that more people need more of in their lives.

No, we don't all know everything but we should spread and share that what we do know.

If I'm consistently misspelling a word, I would want and expect people to correct me as should I imagine all decent people who know the value of good literacy.

Its just arrogant laziness to know you're spelling a word incorrectly and not correct yourself or ignore the advice when people do tell you how to spell a word correctly.

#51 HellCat

HellCat

Opinionated idiot

• Citizen
  • 25469 posts

Posted 12 November 2017 - 06:11 AM

One big praise- the theme song.

We've had a lot of questionable takes on the iconic theme song but this one is catchy and fits the tone of this initially being a superhero show.

#52 Jim S

Jim S

Evil Genius

• Citizen
  • 1342 posts
  • Faction::Unicron's Spawn

Posted 12 November 2017 - 09:28 AM

And I agree, I wouldn't take the fine points as absolutely useful in informing a reading of the cartoon they weren't attached to, as much as I love the smack of historical realism in this sequence of events. Just emphasizes the point that this is a multi-generational history (which I took as already obvious, but) and that any "species" division is subsequent to political division, not the cause of it. 

Edit: Which, again ... think is the natural assumption from the cartoon already, but. 

IIRC, most of the SPECIFICS in this timeline came from me. IDW had the idea of including a timeline of Cybertronian history. I went to Marty and asked him what he had in mind for the backstory and he said something like "an endless cycle of war stretching back billions of years."  

(Though of course this, like every other aspect of the book, was sent to Matt, Marty, & Derrick for comments, all of which were implemented. But I don't know if we had any notes on the timeline in particular.)

Edited by Jim S, 12 November 2017 - 09:29 AM.

#53 Creature SH

Creature SH

Condimented

• Supporter
  • 5694 posts
  • Faction::Dinobot

Posted 12 November 2017 - 09:34 AM

Congratulations, you accidentally a race allegory.

j1GI7Gi.gif

#54 HellCat

HellCat

Opinionated idiot

• Citizen
  • 25469 posts

Posted 12 November 2017 - 09:36 AM

So the stuff I say the show implies on Decepticon oppression actually being true at some point you say isn't there.

And yet you wrote the official timeline which basically says it is the case.

Makes sense.

#55 Spacewarp

Spacewarp

trash meme goddess

• Citizen
  • 21043 posts

Posted 12 November 2017 - 09:59 AM

Oh my god, just stop, would you?

staring dog stares

doggie_zpsafvtedef.png

#56 HellCat

HellCat

Opinionated idiot

• Citizen
  • 25469 posts

Posted 12 November 2017 - 10:00 AM

You're taking that as far more antagonistic than it's intended, believe me.

#57 NotVeryKnightly

NotVeryKnightly
  • Staff
  • 16976 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 12 November 2017 - 10:24 AM

So the stuff I say the show implies on Decepticon oppression actually being true at some point you say isn't there.

Makes sense.

The only thing in that timeline that might be oppression towards Decepticons is the registration act.

Edited by NotVeryKnightly, 12 November 2017 - 10:24 AM.

#58 Copper Bezel

Copper Bezel

• Staff
  • 41871 posts

Posted 12 November 2017 - 10:46 AM

Makes sense.

I'd say he's avoiding, by a charitable margin, reading his work on the Almanac II back into the source material. Especially since, as you said earlier, the significance of "canon" events that came in an optional book years later is a little dubious, the alternative could become the professional equivalent of "Well, in my fanfic...."

Edit:

Hey, not cool.

Edited by Copper Bezel, 12 November 2017 - 10:50 AM.

#59 Johnny Here

Johnny Here
  • Citizen
  • 511 posts

Posted 12 November 2017 - 11:02 AM

I like Animated but feel it's become overrated. It works well as a series that acknowledges the franchise history up to that point without being bound to a single overriding gimmick but it was cut short on resolution and the actual animation itself is often terrible.

One thing that bugged me is the class divide. Decepticons are depicted as hulking brutes who tower over the Autobots and whilst the Autobots are shown to be corrupt there seems to be no logical way this idea of an oppressed Decepticon class could happen in this setting. It bugs me in the same way Beast Wars does for implying morality or lack of is programmed into Predacons.

Something's wrong when the G1 cartoon explored the idea better with the Aerialbots.

I liked Animated
I liked it a lot more after being stuck with the terrible RID

#60 Jim S

Jim S

Evil Genius

• Citizen
  • 1342 posts
  • Faction::Unicron's Spawn

Posted 12 November 2017 - 11:13 AM

Makes sense.

Or, you know, the guy who literally wrote the book on Animated thinks your interpretation is complete bunk, unsupported by the text. 

What does the timeline (which, yeah, as CB says I am trying to avoid as citing as evidence, but since you opened the door...) really say? We've had peace for a good billion years. Even for Transformers, who live maybe 20, 25 million years, that's countless generations. Comparatively recently (but still a good 3 generations back) a radical faction arises within what is effectively the warrior cast. Then, a couple of generations later (the recent past), Megatron comes along and seizes power and begins to stir the pot. Ultra Magnus passes something called the "Decepticon Registration Act". We know from the timeline that this doesn't immediately cause war.

In fact, if we look at the Great Game of War board game, the Decepticon Registration Act was passed AFTER Megatron started construction of a space fleet. In other words, it wasn't just rhetoric, Megatron was arming up. The game then says that Megatron wrote a Manifesto AFTER the Decepticon Registration Act. (In my head, the Registration Act played right into Megatron's hands.) At this point there's a Decepticon Blitzkrieg (the "Cycle of Infamy") that catches the Autobots with their pants down. It's not until the Autobots develop Spacebridge technology that the initial Decepticon push into Autobot territory is halted. 

(ASIDE: getting all the info learned in Animated into a coherent timeline of the war was a beast. Because in S2 we learn that only Spacebridge tech allowed the Autobots to win. In S1, it was hiding the AllSpark. And in S3, it was the development of Omega Supreme and his ilk. So I tried to stay true to that with the timeline of the war.)

All of that is a long way to say that nothing here implies that the Decepticons were oppressed in any meaningful way. It certainly looks like the Decepticons started the war. Did they have some legitimate grievances? Quite possibly. But that's hardly the same thing as oppression. 

If you look in the show itself, there's nothing to support the oppression. Megatron himself, to my recollection, only brings it up once, in an exchange where he is being transparently manipulative. You mention the Autobots being asshats, but that doesn't SUPPORT the assertion that there was oppression, it's merely COMPATIBLE with such an interpretation. And the Decepticons are regularly, repeatedly, consistently shown to be worse. On the Autobot side, you've got Sentinel who's a post-war jarhead ambitious jerk (motivated by grief and guilt.) You've got Ultra Magnus, who's generally shown to be thoughtful but has a set of ethics tempered by pragmatism. Otherwise, every Autobot is pretty much solidly decent, albeit informed by the prejudices of their culture. Whereas the Decepticons embrace slaughter, murder, betrayal, and (as Chris put it) Cartoon Villainy. 

So, going back to YOUR original text... you say "One thing that bugged me is the class divide. Decepticons are depicted as hulking brutes who tower over the Autobots and whilst the Autobots are shown to be corrupt there seems to be no logical way this idea of an oppressed Decepticon class could happen in this setting."

So, it bothers you that the Decepticons could possibly be oppressed, because they're bigger. And yet, there's basically no evidence in the show itself, or the ancillary material, that they ever were, and EVEN IN YOUR OWN BRAIN plenty of evidence (their size and abilities) that they weren't. And, further, as has been pointed out several times, bigger and stronger doesn't always mean victory, not when things like organization, numbers, and technology are factored in. (See the subjugation of India by the English, or the vast empire spun up by the city of Rome.) So, your complaint is just completely meritless on every possible level. And yet you persist in calling it a flaw not in your own bizarre interpretation, but in the show itself.

Makes sense.

Edited by Jim S, 12 November 2017 - 11:14 AM.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users