Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  Shrug : (21 July 2018 - 05:23 PM)

Well, his gold isn't quite the color I associate with GPS and I see little, if any swirling in it. But hip ratchets in gold plastic that loudly clicked once only to be suddenly silenced. Hrmm. Messing with it now, one leg has no ratcheting and the other ratchets at something like 80 degrees apart.

@  Nevermore : (21 July 2018 - 03:37 PM)

I like that figure. :(

@  Nevermore : (21 July 2018 - 03:37 PM)

Please no GPS on HFTD Sea Spray...

@  Darth Gonzo : (21 July 2018 - 03:32 PM)

That moment when you realize GoBots is being talked about more then Transformers.

@  Shrug : (21 July 2018 - 02:11 PM)

Anyone have experience with HFTD Seaspray? I just bought a used one (for a buck!) and all his hip ratchets broke on first movement. Does he just generally have fragile ratchets or is GPS starting?

@  Paladin : (20 July 2018 - 09:24 PM)

Remember it, for it is the last thing you will hear before I *shuffle* EXPRESS MY FEELINGS IN SONG!!!!!!

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (20 July 2018 - 08:46 PM)

Blitzwing, eh?

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (20 July 2018 - 08:46 PM)

Huh.

@  wonko the sane? : (20 July 2018 - 06:29 PM)

He leaks his crankcase, then we all catch a few new dents.

@  TheMightyMol... : (20 July 2018 - 02:58 PM)

Quick, somebody put his hand in some warm oil and see what happens.

@  wonko the sane? : (20 July 2018 - 02:25 PM)

Guys, SSSHHHHH. Megatron is passed out right over there, and dude is a MEAN drunk. Don't wake him up.

@  Paladin : (20 July 2018 - 02:04 PM)

*checks Hasbro's offerings* so, never. :(

@  Jetstream C-18 : (20 July 2018 - 01:26 PM)

They're all hugged when Omega Supreme gets back

@  unluckiness : (20 July 2018 - 10:00 AM)

Megatron is hammered! Now, I, Starscream am leader of the Decepticons!

@  wonko the sane? : (20 July 2018 - 09:47 AM)

And megatron is so confused as to why no one is shooting at him anymore that he starts binge drinking.

@  unluckiness : (20 July 2018 - 08:46 AM)

Grimlock eats them for lunch.

@  Paladin : (20 July 2018 - 08:09 AM)

Optimus wants to free the Minicons. Ultra Magnus says it infringes states' rights.

@  wonko the sane? : (20 July 2018 - 08:07 AM)

So... the nicest beings in the universe are fighting with each other?

@  TheMightyMol... : (20 July 2018 - 08:01 AM)

No Decepticons. It's Autobots Civil War.

@  Gryllid : (20 July 2018 - 07:55 AM)

New York Comic Con is in October, maybe there?

@  Nevermore : (20 July 2018 - 05:49 AM)

So.. thus far, Hasbro only revealed Autobots for Siege. Any ideas which show they will reveal the Decepticons at?

@  Nevermore : (20 July 2018 - 05:44 AM)

So where did the "Stege" logo come from? All I can find is Sipher posting it an making fun of it. Where did that inconvenient version originate?

@  Sabrblade : (19 July 2018 - 11:53 PM)

True. But it was due to Transformers' use of the name that Saban at the time couldn't use it.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (19 July 2018 - 11:38 PM)

But that's not necessarily a reference, just an attempt to use "Technobable" name.

@  Sabrblade : (19 July 2018 - 10:57 PM)

It's not Power Rangers, but Saban's VR Troopers was originally going to be titled "Cybertron".

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (19 July 2018 - 09:26 PM)

@paladin Energon would be too obvious. That's why I like Ore-13. It's not overt.. but still a nice nod.

@  Paladin : (19 July 2018 - 08:05 PM)

the original Sentai called it "Enetron." all they have to change is ONE LETTER.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (19 July 2018 - 06:26 PM)

@saberblade True.. But I don't know.. I just want something simple like the "Energy source" in Beast Morphers to be Ore-13 or something like that.

@  Sabrblade : (19 July 2018 - 05:41 PM)

@Tm_Silverclaw: Operation Overdrive did have a weapon called the "Transtech Armor" ;)

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (19 July 2018 - 04:49 PM)

*sigh* This is going to be a long subline.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (19 July 2018 - 04:49 PM)

I already hate the overuse of "STEGE".

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (19 July 2018 - 04:16 PM)

I just want Power Ranger refferenes in TF and Vice versa now.

@  Onyxstrike : (19 July 2018 - 11:32 AM)

I think Hasbro might be after more than just my money this time around with these reveals.

@  Otaku : (18 July 2018 - 02:39 PM)

@TheMightyMollusk Thanks for clarifying.

@  TheMightyMol... : (18 July 2018 - 12:34 PM)

@Otaku, most people were oblivious. The smart ones did their emergency shopping the day before, so there wasn't much left anyway.

@  MEDdMI : (18 July 2018 - 09:37 AM)

@wonko Only happened a few times and I don't remember the exact details, but yeah.

@  Otaku : (18 July 2018 - 08:06 AM)

@TheMightyMollusk Is that really the same thing? I mean, it is if the people were casually shopping and oblivious to the danger to them or the employees of the store, but if they were desperately trying to get needed supplies themselves... or am I just supposed to be smart enough to know you wouldn't have brought it up if it wasn't the former? >_<

@  wonko the sane? : (18 July 2018 - 07:59 AM)

Okay, what? I've had to explain why the TV wouldn't work when the power is out to children, but never to an adult in their right mind.

@  MEDdMI : (18 July 2018 - 07:44 AM)

*When I worked at the cable call center, some people wondered why their TV wouldn't work when there was an outage...

@  MEDdMI : (18 July 2018 - 07:43 AM)

w

@  TheMightyMol... : (18 July 2018 - 03:11 AM)

We had people still trying to shop while we were being pushed by state police to shut the store down due to flooding. The police finally had to help herd them out.

@  MEDdMI : (17 July 2018 - 07:36 PM)

Or working for an airline and people complaining about not being able to take off in severe weather, and expecting us to know when the bad weather will end. *points at window*

@  MEDdMI : (17 July 2018 - 07:34 PM)

Outages/fire alarms are fun when you work retail and people complain that they can't keep shopping.

@  Echowarrior : (17 July 2018 - 07:11 PM)

Outages occasionally happened at the fulfillment center I used to work at. Never fun.

@  Nevermore : (17 July 2018 - 04:51 PM)

Apparently the early shift (i.e. those who didn't participate in the walkout) were sitting in the cafeteria, waiting for power to return, while the late shift couldn't even enter the building.

@  wonko the sane? : (17 July 2018 - 04:18 PM)

Oh, wow. I thought the news about the website outtage would have been the topper, but that pretty much wins.

@  Nevermore : (17 July 2018 - 04:14 PM)

Whoopsie.

First the union called for a two-day strike yesterday, and then today the entire city where the Amazon warehouse I work at is located apparently had a power outage.

So,uh. Seems like Amazon's Prime Day really didn't go well this year.

@  unluckiness : (17 July 2018 - 09:55 AM)

It wasn't just blander and more polite bacon like I was expecting

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Oh my god Transformers Animated is so good!

107 replies to this topic

#41 Sabrblade

Sabrblade
  • Citizen
  • 25305 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 11 November 2017 - 12:05 PM

The HD widescreen version does look a little nicer than the cropped SD fullscreen version, though.

"When there's gold feathers, punch behind you!!"
QUOTE(Bass X0 @ Aug 17 2013, 08:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think the concept of being educated and being able to educate is something that more people need more of in their lives.

No, we don't all know everything but we should spread and share that what we do know.

If I'm consistently misspelling a word, I would want and expect people to correct me as should I imagine all decent people who know the value of good literacy.

Its just arrogant laziness to know you're spelling a word incorrectly and not correct yourself or ignore the advice when people do tell you how to spell a word correctly.

#42 HellCat

HellCat

Opinionated idiot

• Citizen
  • 26834 posts

Posted 11 November 2017 - 12:32 PM

Aha, it is in the Almanac, Hellcat. At least according to that writeup, the split was about 1 Bya, but the Destrons were a partner in the Cybertronian pastiche. There was a war 300 Mya in which the Destrons felt used and underappreciated for doing most of the fighting, but it didn't break down outright until the Decepticons split from the Destrons' ranks "just" 70 Mya, and Megatron later took control of that faction for his own agenda. 

So we have the Destrons as a soldier class who feel slighted for too much work and the Decepticons later emerge as extremists/lose sight of even those roots?

I'm a little dubious on how canon the Almanacs can be but I suppose it's the best answer we're likely to get now.

#43 NotVeryKnightly

NotVeryKnightly
  • Staff
  • 19918 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 11 November 2017 - 12:34 PM

I'm assuming by "canon" you mean "the cartoon was created with this kind of backstory in mind" rather than just "this is officially part of that universe".

Edited by NotVeryKnightly, 11 November 2017 - 12:34 PM.

#44 HellCat

HellCat

Opinionated idiot

• Citizen
  • 26834 posts

Posted 11 November 2017 - 12:38 PM

Bit of both. 

#45 Copper Bezel

Copper Bezel
  • Administrator
  • 46587 posts
  • Faction::Equestrian

Posted 11 November 2017 - 12:39 PM

Yeah, that's apparently the official story. 

TpS8x8N.png

And I agree, I wouldn't take the fine points as absolutely useful in informing a reading of the cartoon they weren't attached to, as much as I love the smack of historical realism in this sequence of events. Just emphasizes the point that this is a multi-generational history (which I took as already obvious, but) and that any "species" division is subsequent to political division, not the cause of it. 

Edit: Which, again ... think is the natural assumption from the cartoon already, but. 

Edited by Copper Bezel, 11 November 2017 - 12:40 PM.

Shouldn't gravity be doing something?

Of course there's a figure of Rodimus as some kind of animal girl. Why would I be surprised by this?

#46 Creature SH

Creature SH

Condimented

• Supporter
  • 5859 posts
  • Faction::Dinobot

Posted 11 November 2017 - 02:16 PM

Yeah, the official history really kinda says that the Decepticons have some legitimacy as an uprising. The "while not reaping equal benefits" clinches it, even if we disregard Nova Prime's actions as too long ago and irrelevant.

j1GI7Gi.gif

#47 Copper Bezel

Copper Bezel
  • Administrator
  • 46587 posts

Posted 11 November 2017 - 02:48 PM

It prevents them being entirely cartoonish evil for the sake of it from the start, although there's a quibble in that in that we don't know just how much Megatron shifted the goals of the faction. The implication is, quite a lot, and for good or ill, Megatron is straight up cartoon evil-and-loving-it himself.

One point of interest is that we don't know what happened to all the Destrons who weren't Decepticons. Presumably they had similar technology and appearances but weren't at war with the Autobots. 

Of course there's a figure of Rodimus as some kind of animal girl. Why would I be surprised by this?

#48 xZAOx

xZAOx

ALL HAIL GALVACRON

• Citizen
  • 5495 posts

Posted 11 November 2017 - 02:58 PM

For me, it ranks as number 3, with Beast Wars in first place and Rescue Bots in second.

If you loved the show, you'll love all the extra material it got in printed form. Recommended reads include:

While not "official", there's also Trial and Error. https://tfnation.com...able at TFN2017

Marty and Wyatt weren't involved, but Jim Sorenson was, who did a lot of work on the Almanacs and such. I believe it's supposed to follow the season 4 plot points in the Almanac, but I only read Trial and Error at TFCon and haven't refreshed my memory on what the Almanac said in a while hehe. Either way, it was a real good read.

#49 Chris McFeely

Chris McFeely

That was then, this is now.

• Citizen
  • 9082 posts

Posted 11 November 2017 - 03:24 PM

Either way, it was a real good read.

*finger guns*

#50 Sabrblade

Sabrblade
  • Citizen
  • 25305 posts

Posted 12 November 2017 - 01:44 AM

I didn't include Trial & Error because it isn't as easy to come by as the mass market/Fun Pub printed media. Regardless of how recommended it is, its release was so limited as to be readable (in a legitimate manner) by only a select portion of the fandom.

That's also why I didn't include the Japanese 10th anniversary fan book as well, as wonderful as it is.

Edited by Sabrblade, 12 November 2017 - 02:12 AM.

"When there's gold feathers, punch behind you!!"
QUOTE(Bass X0 @ Aug 17 2013, 08:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think the concept of being educated and being able to educate is something that more people need more of in their lives.

No, we don't all know everything but we should spread and share that what we do know.

If I'm consistently misspelling a word, I would want and expect people to correct me as should I imagine all decent people who know the value of good literacy.

Its just arrogant laziness to know you're spelling a word incorrectly and not correct yourself or ignore the advice when people do tell you how to spell a word correctly.

#51 HellCat

HellCat

Opinionated idiot

• Citizen
  • 26834 posts

Posted 12 November 2017 - 06:11 AM

One big praise- the theme song.

We've had a lot of questionable takes on the iconic theme song but this one is catchy and fits the tone of this initially being a superhero show.

#52 Jim S

Jim S

Evil Genius

• Citizen
  • 1591 posts
  • Faction::Unicron's Spawn

Posted 12 November 2017 - 09:28 AM

And I agree, I wouldn't take the fine points as absolutely useful in informing a reading of the cartoon they weren't attached to, as much as I love the smack of historical realism in this sequence of events. Just emphasizes the point that this is a multi-generational history (which I took as already obvious, but) and that any "species" division is subsequent to political division, not the cause of it. 

Edit: Which, again ... think is the natural assumption from the cartoon already, but. 

IIRC, most of the SPECIFICS in this timeline came from me. IDW had the idea of including a timeline of Cybertronian history. I went to Marty and asked him what he had in mind for the backstory and he said something like "an endless cycle of war stretching back billions of years."  

(Though of course this, like every other aspect of the book, was sent to Matt, Marty, & Derrick for comments, all of which were implemented. But I don't know if we had any notes on the timeline in particular.)

Edited by Jim S, 12 November 2017 - 09:29 AM.

#53 Creature SH

Creature SH

Condimented

• Supporter
  • 5859 posts
  • Faction::Dinobot

Posted 12 November 2017 - 09:34 AM

Congratulations, you accidentally a race allegory.

j1GI7Gi.gif

#54 HellCat

HellCat

Opinionated idiot

• Citizen
  • 26834 posts

Posted 12 November 2017 - 09:36 AM

So the stuff I say the show implies on Decepticon oppression actually being true at some point you say isn't there.

And yet you wrote the official timeline which basically says it is the case.

Makes sense.

#55 Verity Carlo

Verity Carlo

trash meme goddess

• Citizen
  • 21882 posts

Posted 12 November 2017 - 09:59 AM

Oh my god, just stop, would you?

staring dog stares

doggie_zpsafvtedef.png

#56 HellCat

HellCat

Opinionated idiot

• Citizen
  • 26834 posts

Posted 12 November 2017 - 10:00 AM

You're taking that as far more antagonistic than it's intended, believe me.

#57 NotVeryKnightly

NotVeryKnightly
  • Staff
  • 19918 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 12 November 2017 - 10:24 AM

So the stuff I say the show implies on Decepticon oppression actually being true at some point you say isn't there.

Makes sense.

The only thing in that timeline that might be oppression towards Decepticons is the registration act.

Edited by NotVeryKnightly, 12 November 2017 - 10:24 AM.

#58 Copper Bezel

Copper Bezel
  • Administrator
  • 46587 posts

Posted 12 November 2017 - 10:46 AM

Makes sense.

I'd say he's avoiding, by a charitable margin, reading his work on the Almanac II back into the source material. Especially since, as you said earlier, the significance of "canon" events that came in an optional book years later is a little dubious, the alternative could become the professional equivalent of "Well, in my fanfic...."

Edit:

Hey, not cool.

Edited by Copper Bezel, 12 November 2017 - 10:50 AM.

#59 Johnny Here

Johnny Here
  • Citizen
  • 609 posts

Posted 12 November 2017 - 11:02 AM

I like Animated but feel it's become overrated. It works well as a series that acknowledges the franchise history up to that point without being bound to a single overriding gimmick but it was cut short on resolution and the actual animation itself is often terrible.

One thing that bugged me is the class divide. Decepticons are depicted as hulking brutes who tower over the Autobots and whilst the Autobots are shown to be corrupt there seems to be no logical way this idea of an oppressed Decepticon class could happen in this setting. It bugs me in the same way Beast Wars does for implying morality or lack of is programmed into Predacons.

Something's wrong when the G1 cartoon explored the idea better with the Aerialbots.

I liked Animated
I liked it a lot more after being stuck with the terrible RID

#60 Jim S

Jim S

Evil Genius

• Citizen
  • 1591 posts
  • Faction::Unicron's Spawn

Posted 12 November 2017 - 11:13 AM

Makes sense.

Or, you know, the guy who literally wrote the book on Animated thinks your interpretation is complete bunk, unsupported by the text. 

What does the timeline (which, yeah, as CB says I am trying to avoid as citing as evidence, but since you opened the door...) really say? We've had peace for a good billion years. Even for Transformers, who live maybe 20, 25 million years, that's countless generations. Comparatively recently (but still a good 3 generations back) a radical faction arises within what is effectively the warrior cast. Then, a couple of generations later (the recent past), Megatron comes along and seizes power and begins to stir the pot. Ultra Magnus passes something called the "Decepticon Registration Act". We know from the timeline that this doesn't immediately cause war.

In fact, if we look at the Great Game of War board game, the Decepticon Registration Act was passed AFTER Megatron started construction of a space fleet. In other words, it wasn't just rhetoric, Megatron was arming up. The game then says that Megatron wrote a Manifesto AFTER the Decepticon Registration Act. (In my head, the Registration Act played right into Megatron's hands.) At this point there's a Decepticon Blitzkrieg (the "Cycle of Infamy") that catches the Autobots with their pants down. It's not until the Autobots develop Spacebridge technology that the initial Decepticon push into Autobot territory is halted. 

(ASIDE: getting all the info learned in Animated into a coherent timeline of the war was a beast. Because in S2 we learn that only Spacebridge tech allowed the Autobots to win. In S1, it was hiding the AllSpark. And in S3, it was the development of Omega Supreme and his ilk. So I tried to stay true to that with the timeline of the war.)

All of that is a long way to say that nothing here implies that the Decepticons were oppressed in any meaningful way. It certainly looks like the Decepticons started the war. Did they have some legitimate grievances? Quite possibly. But that's hardly the same thing as oppression. 

If you look in the show itself, there's nothing to support the oppression. Megatron himself, to my recollection, only brings it up once, in an exchange where he is being transparently manipulative. You mention the Autobots being asshats, but that doesn't SUPPORT the assertion that there was oppression, it's merely COMPATIBLE with such an interpretation. And the Decepticons are regularly, repeatedly, consistently shown to be worse. On the Autobot side, you've got Sentinel who's a post-war jarhead ambitious jerk (motivated by grief and guilt.) You've got Ultra Magnus, who's generally shown to be thoughtful but has a set of ethics tempered by pragmatism. Otherwise, every Autobot is pretty much solidly decent, albeit informed by the prejudices of their culture. Whereas the Decepticons embrace slaughter, murder, betrayal, and (as Chris put it) Cartoon Villainy. 

So, going back to YOUR original text... you say "One thing that bugged me is the class divide. Decepticons are depicted as hulking brutes who tower over the Autobots and whilst the Autobots are shown to be corrupt there seems to be no logical way this idea of an oppressed Decepticon class could happen in this setting."

So, it bothers you that the Decepticons could possibly be oppressed, because they're bigger. And yet, there's basically no evidence in the show itself, or the ancillary material, that they ever were, and EVEN IN YOUR OWN BRAIN plenty of evidence (their size and abilities) that they weren't. And, further, as has been pointed out several times, bigger and stronger doesn't always mean victory, not when things like organization, numbers, and technology are factored in. (See the subjugation of India by the English, or the vast empire spun up by the city of Rome.) So, your complaint is just completely meritless on every possible level. And yet you persist in calling it a flaw not in your own bizarre interpretation, but in the show itself.

Makes sense.

Edited by Jim S, 12 November 2017 - 11:14 AM.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users