Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  Pennpenn : (16 December 2017 - 01:18 AM)

Bismillah!

@  PlutoniumBoss : (16 December 2017 - 12:30 AM)

DOOT DOO DEDOODOO

@  MEDdMI : (16 December 2017 - 12:16 AM)

MAHNA MAHNA

@  PlutoniumBoss : (16 December 2017 - 12:12 AM)

Though we touched and went our separate ways...

@  Echowarrior : (15 December 2017 - 09:56 PM)

We're running with the shadows of the night...

@  TheMightyMol... : (15 December 2017 - 03:42 PM)

Sweet dreams are made of this. Who am I to disagree?

@  Bass X0 : (15 December 2017 - 02:50 PM)

We're not gonna sit in silence, we're not gonna live with fear

@  lastmaximal : (15 December 2017 - 10:54 AM)

WHOA WHOAA WHOAAAAAAA-OH

@  unluckiness : (15 December 2017 - 10:20 AM)

Not that song, that's for sure

@  Pennpenn : (15 December 2017 - 08:29 AM)

What's new pussycat?

@  Bass X0 : (14 December 2017 - 06:51 PM)

Neither is it unusual to be loved by anyone.

@  Steevy Maximus : (13 December 2017 - 11:30 PM)

I mean it's not unusual for Starz content to be on Netflix...it just gets a bit more of a notice ahead of time :p

@  Shrug : (13 December 2017 - 10:32 PM)

@Steevy It popped up out of nowhere. No one knew it was coming until it was just suddenly there. It was kind of surprising for everyone.

@  Paladin : (13 December 2017 - 09:52 PM)

i don't remember that League. was Charizard there?

@  Steevy Maximus : (13 December 2017 - 09:29 PM)

WHY WAS I NOT NOTIFIED ASH VS EVIL DEAD WAS ON NETFLIX?!

@  Shrug : (13 December 2017 - 07:37 PM)

Yeah,Mrs Shrug actually had to return something already. She managed to buy me the thing I bought the day before the embargo went in effect and noticed in on my shelf a week later.

@  MidnightFox : (13 December 2017 - 05:40 PM)

She makes me buy my own present and then wraps it because she doesn't want to attempt to figure out what I own already. :D

@  Shrug : (13 December 2017 - 05:31 PM)

But she did grant an exception for half off and free shipping on that RID Bee and Grimlock set

@  Shrug : (13 December 2017 - 05:31 PM)

My marriage only has a no-toys rule during December, so I dont run the risk of doubling a Christmas present

@  MidnightFox : (13 December 2017 - 05:28 PM)

Been together since '03 and married 10 of that. ;)

@  TM2-Megatron : (13 December 2017 - 05:12 PM)

hang on to that one, then. I've found it rare to meet someone that doesn't hassle you about spending money after a certain point in the relationship

@  MidnightFox : (13 December 2017 - 05:02 PM)

I'm married and Bass is still dead on

@  TM2-Megatron : (13 December 2017 - 04:53 PM)

As long as you aren't married, anyway

@  Bass X0 : (13 December 2017 - 04:47 PM)

being an adult means you can buy all the toys, games and gadgets you want when you want without having to wait until christmas for them

@  TheMightyMol... : (13 December 2017 - 11:47 AM)

Save it for your momma.

@  ▲ndrusi : (13 December 2017 - 08:44 AM)

We could depict the ensuing chaos in an Obama llama drama diorama.

@  Patchouli Kn... : (13 December 2017 - 06:22 AM)

That's just asking for Obama llama drama.

@  Echowarrior : (12 December 2017 - 10:44 PM)

For pun value, the ideal plush animal for Obama would be a llama. It rhymes.

@  Shrug : (12 December 2017 - 03:31 PM)

My game clan and all our servers just shut down. No warning to any of us outside upper admin. :(

@  wonko the sane? : (12 December 2017 - 01:55 PM)

But a stuffed monkey in a little suit would be adorablooohhh I get it now.

@  Paladin : (12 December 2017 - 11:21 AM)

knowing the people behind it, the Obama stuffed animal would probably be a monkey.

@  Pennpenn : (12 December 2017 - 06:43 AM)

The only thing that would make that even dumber would be if there had been some "Obama bear" made at some point and Trump had made a tweet scorning it.

@  Steevy Maximus : (12 December 2017 - 12:14 AM)

Just look up the horror of "Trumpy Bear"

@  Steevy Maximus : (12 December 2017 - 12:14 AM)

$40 for a teddy bear with Trump's "trademark hair". Can't stop milking his image even in office...

@  RichardT1977 : (11 December 2017 - 12:44 PM)

*sigh* We are so wonderfully, awesomely lame.

@  D Buster Prime : (11 December 2017 - 12:30 AM)

Game over Boyzz!

@  D Buster Prime : (11 December 2017 - 12:29 AM)

Time to put on your 3D glasses!

@  Shrug : (10 December 2017 - 09:55 PM)

Looks like lasers are back on the menu, boys!

@  RichardT1977 : (10 December 2017 - 06:44 PM)

It's Laser Time, Boyz!

@  TriBlurr : (10 December 2017 - 06:23 PM)

Listen up y'all! Your the Boyz brigade. When its laser Time put on the 3D shades

@  RichardT1977 : (10 December 2017 - 04:51 PM)

You know he fights the Corp, he's the Bots Master!

@  Dracula : (10 December 2017 - 04:45 PM)

anime ja nai

@  Liege : (10 December 2017 - 01:07 PM)

ZZ for short.

@  TheMightyMol... : (10 December 2017 - 10:37 AM)

I understood that reference.

@  Bass X0 : (10 December 2017 - 09:25 AM)

But Ziv Zulander doesn't.

@  Paladin : (10 December 2017 - 09:08 AM)

"Zoolander" sucks.

@  Nutjob R/T : (09 December 2017 - 12:11 AM)

Are you serious? I just told you like, a second ago

@  Shrug : (08 December 2017 - 10:38 PM)

But why male models?

@  BlackMax : (08 December 2017 - 06:30 PM)

Because they're too big for carrier pidgeons...?

@  Shrug : (08 December 2017 - 02:16 PM)

But why male models?

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Oh my god Transformers Animated is so good!

107 replies to this topic

#1 Tailgreat

Tailgreat
  • Citizen
  • 184 posts
  • Faction::Dinobot

Posted 10 November 2017 - 09:33 PM

Just finished my bingewatch and it's amazing. It's almost as good as Beast Wars.

Casting Optimus as a young, erstwhile hero should be awful; even if Grand Heroic Autobot Optimus get boring after a while, making him Terry McGinnis would be just as bad. Instead the show strikes a perfect balance, where he's someone growing into that noble hero while constantly showing the traits that make him a good leader on top of giving him depth and flaws to overcome and arc to achieve.

All the other Autobots are great too. Crotchety battle axe Ratchet and dumb sensitive lug Bulkhead were far and away my favourites. Heck I even liked the filler human villains because they're just fun, and some like Headmaster and Meltdown make for effective antagonists.

Funnily enough, it shares Beast Wars' main flaw, which was a rushed conclusion. The finale just kind of happens, though with a little better build up than Beast Wars got, and feels too small. This show really would have benefited the most from having an extra season, especially since we miss out on Sari's backstory (and speaking of Sari she's easily the best token human the franchise has ever gotten, even before she turns out to be part robot).

I think my biggest problem with the show is Sentinel Prime. I know he's supposed to be a jerk, but he's the one character filled potential that's never used. They keep hinting there's more to him where he expresses fondness for Optimus and then they never go anywhere with it and  he remains a jerk, and then they build him up into a proper antagonist figure where he takes the role of Magnus and then they never do anything with that either outside of "This Is Why I Hate Machines", and that was really small. Blackarachnia really needed another episode too to complete her arc. She was another character they never really decided where they wanted to go with her.

Overall it's fantastic, and now I deeply regret not jumping on this a decade ago because I missed out on all those sweet toys. At least I have my Voyager Optimus.

TLDR: Lugnut 4 Lyfe

Edited by Tailgreat, 10 November 2017 - 09:33 PM.

#2 Jetstream C-18

Jetstream C-18

MERRY SLAGGING CHRISTMAS!

• Citizen
  • 23917 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 10 November 2017 - 10:05 PM

Glad you liked it; I personally consider it my favorite Transformers series. Hell, I joined this site so I could talk about Animated with other fans!

Edited by Evac, 10 November 2017 - 10:07 PM.

#3 Sabrblade

Sabrblade
  • Citizen
  • 23340 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 11 November 2017 - 12:23 AM

For me, it ranks as number 3, with Beast Wars in first place and Rescue Bots in second.

If you loved the show, you'll love all the extra material it got in printed form. Recommended reads include:

Edited by Sabrblade, 11 November 2017 - 12:25 AM.

"When there's gold feathers, punch behind you!!"
QUOTE(Bass X0 @ Aug 17 2013, 08:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think the concept of being educated and being able to educate is something that more people need more of in their lives.

No, we don't all know everything but we should spread and share that what we do know.

If I'm consistently misspelling a word, I would want and expect people to correct me as should I imagine all decent people who know the value of good literacy.

Its just arrogant laziness to know you're spelling a word incorrectly and not correct yourself or ignore the advice when people do tell you how to spell a word correctly.

#4 Daith

Daith

Star Wars season is upon us!

• Supporter
  • 8005 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 11 November 2017 - 02:30 AM

The Almanac  II or Complete version actually detail the proposed season 4's episodes and plots along with some concept art of a Powermaster Prime, "Maurader" Megatron , and new looks for a few more characters. Sadly both are out of print and go for some high prices but the original 2 are available through Kindle for much less.

Edited by Darth Irian, 11 November 2017 - 02:35 AM.

3DS Friend Codes : 1633-4354-6578 and 4270-3512-2442 Username: Daith (on both) Pokemon profiles - Trainer Name: X-Phil, Y-Emma Lynn, OR- Mara, AS- Ron Nintendo WiiU ID: Daithirian

#5 HellCat

HellCat

Opinionated idiot

• Citizen
  • 25648 posts

Posted 11 November 2017 - 03:23 AM

I like Animated but feel it's become overrated. It works well as a series that acknowledges the franchise history up to that point without being bound to a single overriding gimmick but it was cut short on resolution and the actual animation itself is often terrible.

One thing that bugged me is the class divide. Decepticons are depicted as hulking brutes who tower over the Autobots and whilst the Autobots are shown to be corrupt there seems to be no logical way this idea of an oppressed Decepticon class could happen in this setting. It bugs me in the same way Beast Wars does for implying morality or lack of is programmed into Predacons.

Something's wrong when the G1 cartoon explored the idea better with the Aerialbots.

#6 Jalaguy

Jalaguy

won't hold Six Shot upside-down.

• Staff
  • 8327 posts
  • Faction::RIRFIB

Posted 11 November 2017 - 03:52 AM

Sabrblade linked the storybook version above, but you can actually watch "The Return of Blurr" as a full-cast audio drama with illustrations, with Blurr and Arcee's original VAs! It's set after the end of season 3.

DAEH6hLUAAAgb9l.png

#7 Copper Bezel

Copper Bezel

Thighs should be seductive.

• Staff
  • 42762 posts
  • Faction::Equestrian

Posted 11 November 2017 - 04:06 AM

Man, I'd give teeth for a Transformers series that was animated like Animated again. Striking and interesting character designs and a dense, lived-in world. Rescue Bots gets most of the way there, admittedly. 

But for the most part I don't really care about comparisons to other TF series, Animated was a singular event and it was a beautiful thing. I don't expect that kind of lightning to strike twice in the same franchise, especially considering how much of G1 it incorporated and reprised in a way that only had to happen once and would feel cheap the second time.

Shouldn't gravity be doing something?

Of course there's a figure of Rodimus as some kind of animal girl. Why would I be surprised by this?

#8 Tailgreat

Tailgreat
  • Citizen
  • 184 posts
  • Faction::Dinobot

Posted 11 November 2017 - 07:38 AM

Sabrblade linked the storybook version above, but you can actually watch "The Return of Blurr" as a full-cast audio drama with illustrations, with Blurr and Arcee's original VAs! It's set after the end of season 3.

It was hilarious how gruesomely they killed Blurr off. He gets crushed to death on screen, and then Cliffjumper just throws his remains into an incinerator.

Edited by Tailgreat, 11 November 2017 - 07:41 AM.

#9 Jim S

Jim S

Evil Genius

• Citizen
  • 1369 posts
  • Faction::Unicron's Spawn

Posted 11 November 2017 - 08:47 AM

One thing that bugged me is the class divide. Decepticons are depicted as hulking brutes who tower over the Autobots and whilst the Autobots are shown to be corrupt there seems to be no logical way this idea of an oppressed Decepticon class could happen in this setting.

Really? I mean, in the real world, tiny nations have subjugated much larger populations with some regularity. The more physically impressive specimens are often shackled to the will of less physically impressive but wealthier or more organized masters.

Also, Animated is pretty silent on the question of what kicked off the Autobot Decepticon war. The idea that it was "oppressed Decepticons" is entirely in your own head, probably put there by IDW.

So... the thing that bothers you about the show isn't really in the show at all.

#10 NotVeryKnightly

NotVeryKnightly
  • Staff
  • 17304 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 11 November 2017 - 09:04 AM

Didn't Megatron talk like tyranny on the Autobots' part was a factor? Granted, there was no specifying what that really meant.

#11 SHIELD Agent 47

SHIELD Agent 47

Knight of Infinity

• Staff
  • 5088 posts

Posted 11 November 2017 - 09:08 AM

One thing that bugged me is the class divide. Decepticons are depicted as hulking brutes who tower over the Autobots and whilst the Autobots are shown to be corrupt there seems to be no logical way this idea of an oppressed Decepticon class could happen in this setting.

Really? I mean, in the real world, tiny nations have subjugated much larger populations with some regularity. The more physically impressive specimens are often shackled to the will of less physically impressive but wealthier or more organized masters.

Also, Animated is pretty silent on the question of what kicked off the Autobot Decepticon war. The idea that it was "oppressed Decepticons" is entirely in your own head, probably put there by IDW.

So... the thing that bothers you about the show isn't really in the show at all.

Didn't Megatron talk like tyranny on the Autobots' part was a factor? Granted, there was no specifying what that really meant.

Yeah, granted Megatron isn't the least biased of sources, but isn't Autobot tyranny part of his rhetoric?

Visit the Transformers Wiki and the IDW Hasbro Wiki!

#12 Copper Bezel

Copper Bezel

• Staff
  • 42762 posts

Posted 11 November 2017 - 09:10 AM

I don't remember whether it was any more specific than that, though. Which has occasionally meant "tyrannically not allowing us to conquer the galaxy" in some continuities. It definitely doesn't from there create some kind of inconsistency with the fact that Decepticons also use different protoform molds. = .

Of course there's a figure of Rodimus as some kind of animal girl. Why would I be surprised by this?

#13 Paladin

Paladin

Have Zord, Will Travel

• Citizen
  • 8990 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 11 November 2017 - 09:18 AM

Ten years later & there is still an Omega Supreme sized hole in my collection.... :(

SUPERHERO TIME!!!! Ruining Jokes For Everyone! TWITTER: Paladin4221

#14 HellCat

HellCat

Opinionated idiot

• Citizen
  • 25648 posts

Posted 11 November 2017 - 09:36 AM

Megatron is shown in series to talk about Autobot oppression. The show never makes it clear if this is genuine or simply a line he uses to drum up support but equally we are shown that the Autobots are corrupt even before Sentinel assumes command. Animated likewise makes the point that there is actually a genetic distinction between Autobot and Decepticon, with Safeguard being the result of them performing secret genetic experiments to grant Autobots the Decepticon ability of flight.

So we have a race of apparently naturally emerging one man armies within the Cybertronian species. It would be like if half of humans were born as normal and half of humans were born 10ft tall with super powers.

Animated would have done well to explore this properly. Despite it's hardly consistent continuity, I'll cite the G1 cartoon again because that at least later claimed the two species were the result of being descended from consumer and military robots respectively.

With Animated? Who knows.

#15 ▲ndrusi

▲ndrusi

Praise be to Stakeout.

• Supporter
  • 24949 posts

Posted 11 November 2017 - 09:41 AM

He also talked like the main Autobot cast were his friends and the reason he didn't want them to know about him was because he was embarrassed about being in pieces.

QUOTE(orionpax44 @ Jun 24 2012, 01:03 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Childrens toys? whaa the boxes seriously say ages 5+ I consider myself the plus.
QUOTE(mx-01 archon @ Sep 9 2012, 01:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You're talking to ▲ndrusi. Assume everything that he posts is snark.

#16 Jim S

Jim S

Evil Genius

• Citizen
  • 1369 posts
  • Faction::Unicron's Spawn

Posted 11 November 2017 - 09:46 AM

Are you talking about this exchange?

Mixmaster: "You tricked us! You Decepticons are the scum o' the universe!"
Megatron: "...Whaaat? Who told you that?"
Scrapper: "Our friend Bulkhead."
Megatron: "And you believed him?"
Mixmaster: "Well, sure, he's our friend."
Megatron: "And did your friend tell you how his Autobot kind have oppressed us? Driven us from our rightful home? Oh, they may come across as complete imbeciles, but Autobots are cunning, ruthless, unforgiving."

If so, I'll point out that the context for that exchange is this:

constructicon comic.jpg

Edited by Jim S, 11 November 2017 - 09:50 AM.

#17 Chris McFeely

Chris McFeely

That was then, this is now.

• Citizen
  • 8881 posts

Posted 11 November 2017 - 09:50 AM

Yeah, the "oppression" Megatron talks about is the Decepticons being kicked off Cybertron after losing the war, which if I'm remembering right was an exile they chose in return for amnesty.

Edited by Chris McFeely, 11 November 2017 - 09:51 AM.

#18 Copper Bezel

Copper Bezel

• Staff
  • 42762 posts

Posted 11 November 2017 - 10:00 AM

Megatron is shown in series to talk about Autobot oppression. The show never makes it clear if this is genuine or simply a line he uses to drum up support but equally we are shown that the Autobots are corrupt even before Sentinel assumes command. Animated likewise makes the point that there is actually a genetic distinction between Autobot and Decepticon, with Safeguard being the result of them performing secret genetic experiments to grant Autobots the Decepticon ability of flight.

So we have a race of apparently naturally emerging one man armies within the Cybertronian species.

Woooooooooooow. 

You know they, like, build them, right? Did you see any part of the series other than the bits you're stringing together to create this fan theory?

This isn't G2 and it isn't IDW. "Naturally occurring" does not even exist. Let alone the assumption that the plot of X-Men is the only way for anyone to get superpowers unless otherwise indicated.

Edited by Copper Bezel, 11 November 2017 - 10:01 AM.

#19 HellCat

HellCat

Opinionated idiot

• Citizen
  • 25648 posts

Posted 11 November 2017 - 10:00 AM

So how does this factor in with the actual shady actions we see from the Autobot side? Beast Machines-style 'both sides lose themselves in war'?

Wasp was framed as a spy and tortured to the point he became a revenge obsessed wreck discussing himself in the third person. If they do that in peace time, what were they like prior?

There's room in the show to suggest the Autobots are indeed oppressive. Blackarachnia becomes a Decepticon out of a mix of self loathing and the fact the Autobots would/do view her as an abomination.

#20 Copper Bezel

Copper Bezel

• Staff
  • 42762 posts

Posted 11 November 2017 - 10:03 AM

... yes. That is the content of the show you are describing. The Autobots are assholes.

What was your point then?

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users