Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  BlackMax : (21 November 2017 - 04:53 PM)

Sweet!

@  wonko the sane? : (21 November 2017 - 08:00 AM)

Okay, that's freaky good.

@  Locoman : (20 November 2017 - 11:02 PM)

Today I learned that the credits theme from Avatar syncs up alarmingly well with the theme from Beast Wars.

@  Shrug : (20 November 2017 - 10:24 PM)

We badly want to move and completely lack the money to do so. Sigh.

@  Shrug : (20 November 2017 - 10:23 PM)

Which, the opposite side of one bathroom wall is the bedroom. The other wall has all my Transformers on the other side. And it was so bad the other day it actually stunk up the laundry room below the bathroom.

@  Shrug : (20 November 2017 - 10:21 PM)

And the smell is leaking through the bathroom. I'm guessing the vents are connected.

@  Shrug : (20 November 2017 - 10:20 PM)

Turns out they smoke. A lot. I know this because it's now cold outside and they're closing their windows.

@  Shrug : (20 November 2017 - 10:20 PM)

So, I moved to a duplex this summer. And I noticed my neighbor's kept their windows open all the time.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (20 November 2017 - 06:58 PM)

The Netherlands fights the sea every day.

@  Bass X0 : (20 November 2017 - 02:32 PM)

It's a Spider's Game over there.

@  Boomhauer : (20 November 2017 - 09:08 AM)

The best moment of the Emu War is when they brought machine guns to shoot at large groups of birds and at no point a single person in the room brought up "wait but emus are fast won't they just dodge and-"

@  Pennpenn : (20 November 2017 - 04:53 AM)

Yeah yeah, giant spiders. Look up the Great Emu War of the 1920s for instances of Australia trying to defeat it's wildlife and failing miserably.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (20 November 2017 - 03:41 AM)

Australia is still fighting their war on Giant Spiders.

@  Pennpenn : (20 November 2017 - 01:58 AM)

The queue is pretty long, and I don't think Australia is going anywhere any time soon.

@  Locoman : (19 November 2017 - 10:59 PM)

Welcome to the "political crisis" queue, here's your ticket.

@  Nevermore : (19 November 2017 - 10:20 PM)

Complicated lengthy coalition talks just failed.

@  Nevermore : (19 November 2017 - 10:20 PM)

Oh boy. Germany is in a political crisis.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (19 November 2017 - 01:25 PM)

I could handle going back to not existing. x.x;

@  Bass X0 : (19 November 2017 - 01:14 PM)

Life is the brief recess we get from not existing before going back to not existing.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (19 November 2017 - 01:10 PM)

Nah.. Life is simply the precursor to death.

@  Bass X0 : (19 November 2017 - 12:41 PM)

Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% how you react to it.

@  wonko the sane? : (18 November 2017 - 08:37 AM)

You won't be at school or work anymore... so mitigated success.

@  TheMightyMol... : (17 November 2017 - 05:21 PM)

Just don't try to plug yourself into an outlet. It won't end well.

@  Bass X0 : (17 November 2017 - 04:57 PM)

Trying to stay awake at work or school is a lot like using your controller when it's on low battery

@  Pennpenn : (17 November 2017 - 10:31 AM)

If you're used to doing it with tabs, that makes sense. It doesn't feel weird for me.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (17 November 2017 - 10:28 AM)

Also, it just feels weird if switching between webpages uses the same actions as switching between programs.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (17 November 2017 - 10:21 AM)

I switch between different things on the browser and click on various plugins and stuff far more often than switching from program to program.

@  Pennpenn : (17 November 2017 - 10:19 AM)

Yeah I'm mostly just venting from frustration rather than trying to convince anyone, though @NotVeryNightly I will point out that the windows for the other programs I'm running are at the bottom of the screen as well.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (17 November 2017 - 10:09 AM)

Tabs are on the top, near the address bar, browser tools, plugins and whatnot so the cursor will be there frequently anyway. Switching windows would require going down the screen.

@  Shrug : (17 November 2017 - 10:03 AM)

I mean, you do you. No bigs. You've just got a fairly unique stance that surprised me.

@  Shrug : (17 November 2017 - 09:54 AM)

I haven't seen words on the bottom bar of the screen since XP.

@  Pennpenn : (17 November 2017 - 09:13 AM)

All of which is put on the point that I don't care if people want to use tabs, I just want the option to not have them present for me on my browser.

@  Pennpenn : (17 November 2017 - 09:12 AM)

@Shrug- A quick glance at the bottom of the screen shows me what is open and where. Load times are basically so trivial that the load indicator on a tab is something I didn't notice until you mentioned it. The "which instance is playing noise" is a fair point but has basically only really been approaching meaningful for me maybe twice in all the time tabs have existed.

@  Pennpenn : (17 November 2017 - 09:07 AM)

@NotveryKnightly- I have never encountered a situation where that is true, especially given that tabs are on the other side of the screen to the other things I'm switching through.

@  Pennpenn : (17 November 2017 - 09:06 AM)

@ Nevermore- The windows at the bottom have the names of the websites on them, presuming you don't collapse them.

@  Shrug : (17 November 2017 - 08:08 AM)

Geez, this is reminding me of the awful pre-tab days.

@  Shrug : (17 November 2017 - 08:07 AM)

I can look at the tab to see if it hasn't finished loading yet. Now you can see which tab is playing sound, so no need to hunt through windows to find a video ad that started playing.

@  Shrug : (17 November 2017 - 08:07 AM)

And a quick glance lets me know whats open and where. No clicking multiple windows hunting for something. No waiting for some window preview to pop up (which wasn't available when tabs first started.)

@  NotVeryKnightly : (17 November 2017 - 06:03 AM)

Switching between tabs is way quicker than between windows.

@  Nevermore : (17 November 2017 - 04:09 AM)

It's like having a clear structore with sub-directores, instead of just having all files on your computer stored in one giant directory.

@  Nevermore : (17 November 2017 - 04:08 AM)

This way, I can switch between windows and then select the tab, instead of always trying to remember which window is for which website.

@  Nevermore : (17 November 2017 - 04:07 AM)

I find one browser window with multiple tabs a lot easier to handle alongside other windows than multiple browser windows alongside other windows.

@  Nevermore : (17 November 2017 - 04:06 AM)

I find multiple tabs a lot more comfortable than multiple windows.

@  Nevermore : (17 November 2017 - 04:06 AM)

erm... no?

@  Pennpenn : (17 November 2017 - 03:26 AM)

On mobile devices and whatever I understand why tabs would be a thing, but on a full desktop browser it's just- "Hey, here's a thing that's kind of like opening a new window, but objectively worse in every practical way"

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (17 November 2017 - 01:41 AM)

Someone remind me again: which versions of the CW Hot Spot mold did not suffer from bad hip ratcheting?

@  BlackMax : (16 November 2017 - 06:33 PM)

Holy crap I just pushed the F11 key for the first time on a keyboard since about 1994.

@  Shrug : (16 November 2017 - 01:11 PM)

tabs being wretched bs is definitely an opinion I've never seen before

@  RC85747 : (16 November 2017 - 08:25 AM)

Vivaldi lets you hide the tab bar

@  Pennpenn : (16 November 2017 - 07:45 AM)

Yeah but that gets rid of everything else as well.

Photo
- - - - -

Funny wiki interpretations

60 replies to this topic

#1 SHIELD Agent 47

SHIELD Agent 47

Knight of Infinity

• Staff
  • 4749 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 08 November 2017 - 10:38 AM

We all know that many creators reference the TFWiki for help in creating their Transformers works. And sometimes, either by intent or accident, the results can be not what veteran fans would have expected. For example:

• JaAm is probably spelled in such camel casing on Universe Hot Shot's packaging because of the wiki article.
  • Horri-Bull is intentionally colored yellow in IDW's Robots in Disguise comic series based on a badly-lit/scanned photograph of the G1 Horri-Bull toy.
  • Twirl, whose original incarnation was strictly anti-Decepticon, is a Decepticon in the Legends mobile game, probably because the game writer saw "-con" and figured Twirl was evil like that.
  • Or most egregiously, Roadburner the Micromaster Combiner being misinterpreted as having a single, full alt-mode in the Legends game and when the story presumably called for Roadbuster.
  • Strika's Vehicon drones wound up getting a canonical name (over 15 years later in Beast Wars: Uprising) at all because of the wiki.

So what is such a phenomenon you take note of?

And what to you would be an unexpected or unprecedented but welcome (mis)interpretation in a future work derived from something up on the wiki?

I begin by nominating this image from Spotlight: Trailcutter. What if some future creator interpreted this panel from Spotlight: Trailcutter as the literal, non-shadowed, non-imagination designs of three Titans? I could get behind some badass black-hued Titans.

GMBGuc9.jpg

Edited by SHIELD Agent 47, 08 November 2017 - 12:36 PM.

Visit the Transformers Wiki and the IDW Hasbro Wiki!

#2 Dracula

Dracula

IS DEAD NOW

• Staff
  • 4114 posts

Posted 08 November 2017 - 10:42 AM

I'll always be a fan of Swoop's silly caption becoming his official motto.

Also, didn't TR Powermaster Prime's sorta yellowish-gray color scheme come from this pic? Or was the G1 toy actually that hue?

5140629382_7d653c135f.jpg

ALL OF TREASURES

#3 Broadside

Broadside

THE DOG?!?!

• Citizen
  • 8719 posts
  • Faction::Cannonball's Pirate Crew

Posted 08 November 2017 - 10:56 AM

• Twirl, whose original incarnation was strictly anti-Decepticon, is a Decepticon in the Legends mobile game, probably because the game writer saw "-con" and figured Twirl was evil like that.

I mean, she's probably only in the game in the first place because of the wiki, but I still feel like it's more likely that they were looking for a fourth evil girl for their lineup, saw Twirl, and thought "wouldn't it be funny if we made her a Decepticon".

card-rewind.jpg

#4 Powered Convoy

Powered Convoy

Skywarp Connoisseur

• Retired Staff
  • 60041 posts
  • Faction::RIRFIB

Posted 08 November 2017 - 10:58 AM

TR Misfire's shin stickers are upside down because some one placed them that way on the one pictured on TFWiki.

#5 Xaaron

Xaaron
  • Citizen
  • 1739 posts

Posted 08 November 2017 - 11:19 AM

I think Obsidian's distorted head from Till All Are One is because the artist referred to his wiki page's main image, which fails to accentuate the 3rd Dimension properly.

#6 Shrug

Shrug

scoot scoot

• Citizen
  • 366 posts
  • Faction::Decepticon

Posted 08 November 2017 - 11:26 AM

TR Misfire's shin stickers are upside down because some one placed them that way on the one pictured on TFWiki.

Doesn't Prime have his toe/taillights flipped upside in art more often than not because Pat Lee drew him based of a toy picture with upside down stickers?  Was that from the wiki?

Edited by Shrug, 08 November 2017 - 11:26 AM.

#7 Sabrblade

Sabrblade
  • Citizen
  • 23170 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 08 November 2017 - 11:42 AM

Doesn't Prime have his toe/taillights flipped upside in art more often than not because Pat Lee drew him based of a toy picture with upside down stickers?  Was that from the wiki?

The Wiki didn't yet exist when Dreamwave came about.

"When there's gold feathers, punch behind you!!"
QUOTE(Bass X0 @ Aug 17 2013, 08:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think the concept of being educated and being able to educate is something that more people need more of in their lives.

No, we don't all know everything but we should spread and share that what we do know.

If I'm consistently misspelling a word, I would want and expect people to correct me as should I imagine all decent people who know the value of good literacy.

Its just arrogant laziness to know you're spelling a word incorrectly and not correct yourself or ignore the advice when people do tell you how to spell a word correctly.

#8 Broadside

Broadside

THE DOG?!?!

• Citizen
  • 8719 posts
  • Faction::Cannonball's Pirate Crew

Posted 08 November 2017 - 12:03 PM

Hell, the wiki didn't exist when IDW Transformers came about.

card-rewind.jpg

#9 Spacewarp

Spacewarp

trash meme goddess

• Citizen
  • 21057 posts

Posted 08 November 2017 - 12:06 PM

Not really wiki "funny-ness" but Jim Sorenson wrote out shoutouts to Derik and Interrobang in the Almanacs.

And McFeely, of course.

Edited by Spacewarp, 08 November 2017 - 12:06 PM.

staring dog stares

doggie_zpsafvtedef.png

#10 Spark

Spark
  • Citizen
  • 36238 posts

Posted 08 November 2017 - 12:09 PM

I'll always be a fan of Swoop's silly caption becoming his official motto.

Also, didn't TR Powermaster Prime's sorta yellowish-gray color scheme come from this pic? Or was the G1 toy actually that hue?

The toy is actually flat light gray.  That's either a mildly yellowed one from age or the color tint is slightly off, but yes, TR's most likely did.

Pretty much any botched color scheme from the last five years is up to the design team just checking Wiki or Seibertron photos, so I have heard.

Generations Jhiaxus' color scheme might also be chalked up to that, but that's early enough to be in doubt.

Edited by Spark, 08 November 2017 - 12:10 PM.

Fall of Cybertron will blow your mind. That is all.

#11 Shrug

Shrug

scoot scoot

• Citizen
  • 366 posts

Posted 08 November 2017 - 12:11 PM

The Wiki didn't yet exist when Dreamwave came about.
Heh, massive brainfart on my part.

Alternatively:

I've been a hardcore Transformers fan since 1984 and I was there when Hasbro started the Wiki (I was one of the first 37 people with home internet,BTW) so don't you tell me there wasn't a Voltron crossover episode!

Edited by Shrug, 08 November 2017 - 12:14 PM.

#12 Spark

Spark
  • Citizen
  • 36238 posts

Posted 08 November 2017 - 12:14 PM

I've been a hardcore Transformers fan since 1984 and I was there when Hasbro started the Wiki (I was one of the 37 people with home internet,) so don't you tell me there wasn't a Voltron crossover episode!

-Random Facebook User, 2017

Fall of Cybertron will blow your mind. That is all.

#13 NightViper

NightViper

Ehhhhh...

• Retired Staff
  • 39782 posts
  • Faction::RIBFIR

Posted 08 November 2017 - 12:20 PM

BotCon Ferak is white because the image I pulled from the wiki at the time had the colors twerked just enough he didn't read as purple. Tornado almost had a yellow-ish head crest. 

Attached Thumbnails

• ferak_board_crop.jpg

Edited by NightViper, 08 November 2017 - 12:21 PM.

#14 Sabrblade

Sabrblade
  • Citizen
  • 23170 posts

Posted 08 November 2017 - 12:21 PM

I've been a hardcore Transformers fan since 1984 and I was there when Hasbro started the Wiki (I was one of the 37 people with home internet,) so don't you tell me there wasn't a Voltron crossover episode!

-Random Facebook User, 2017

What's even sadder is that I can easily imagine someone who never watched Vehicle Voltron misremembering the Fleet of Doom special as a Voltron/Transformers crossover, having never bothered to check to see what it actually was after all these years.

Edited by Sabrblade, 08 November 2017 - 01:25 PM.

I think the concept of being educated and being able to educate is something that more people need more of in their lives.

No, we don't all know everything but we should spread and share that what we do know.

If I'm consistently misspelling a word, I would want and expect people to correct me as should I imagine all decent people who know the value of good literacy.

Its just arrogant laziness to know you're spelling a word incorrectly and not correct yourself or ignore the advice when people do tell you how to spell a word correctly.

#15 Fear or Courage

Fear or Courage

Do I compel you?

• Citizen
  • 1752 posts

Posted 08 November 2017 - 02:10 PM

Two thoughts:

1) I'd love for these things to be documented on the Wiki itself somewhere.

2) This is why, I think, it's okay to take arguments about the structure and categorization of the wiki a little bit seriously, since it's proven it now influences the original work.

#16 Cattleprod

Cattleprod
  • Citizen
  • 1720 posts

Posted 08 November 2017 - 02:24 PM

I mean, she's probably only in the game in the first place because of the wiki, but I still feel like it's more likely that they were looking for a fourth evil girl for their lineup, saw Twirl, and thought "wouldn't it be funny if we made her a Decepticon".

If you showed a picture of her toy to a casual fan (in this case meaning someone not familiar with Japan-only Minicons) and asked them to guess which faction she was, they'd probably say Decepticon since she's purple.

#17 Sabrblade

Sabrblade
  • Citizen
  • 23170 posts

Posted 08 November 2017 - 02:36 PM

The article for Strika's drones details how they got their name from the Wiki itself.

#18 Jalaguy

Jalaguy

won't hold Six Shot upside-down.

• Staff
  • 8242 posts
  • Faction::RIRFIB

Posted 08 November 2017 - 03:05 PM

FOC Vortex's weird colour scheme is ultimately thanks to the wiki's choice of mainpic:
http://jalaguy.tumblr.com/post/159945624793/its-kind-of-fascinating-the-way-vortexs-colours

DAEH6hLUAAAgb9l.png

#19 Xaaron

Xaaron
  • Citizen
  • 1739 posts

Posted 08 November 2017 - 03:28 PM

While the above is certainly true, let's be honest...Vortex has a uniquely hugged-up and inconsistent color scheme among G1 characters.

His toy has some purple, his character model is mostly gray, his Transformers: Universe entry found a huge amount of red somewhere...

Inconsistency is his consistent trait.

#20 Fear or Courage

Fear or Courage

Do I compel you?

• Citizen
  • 1752 posts

Posted 09 November 2017 - 08:25 AM

I can't remember the issue or context right now, but I remember there was an MTMTE issue that flashed back or quoted dialogue from an earlier issue, but it was punctuated or formatted a bit wrong, with the wiki page noting that it was likely copied from the wiki article from that earlier issue, which ALSO featured that same quirk of formatting.

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users