Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  Bass X0 : (25 May 2020 - 01:28 AM)

Already seen it online.

@  -Wildstrike- : (24 May 2020 - 09:42 PM)

Who's excited for tomorrow? The only thing that makes Monday worth it is the Cyberverse episodes .-.

@  wonko the sane? : (24 May 2020 - 12:30 PM)

Welcome. I just came into that trick myself recently, so happy to share.

@  Nevermore : (24 May 2020 - 12:05 PM)

Thanks, wonko the sane? for the tip with the cloning. That helped a lot!

@  -Wildstrike- : (24 May 2020 - 12:02 PM)

Heheh.... yes... I don't think a sniper would be very good at making a vaccine... 0.0

@  Nevermore : (24 May 2020 - 11:48 AM)

All right! Cloning my old HHD to an SSD and then swapping out the drive was successful, it would appear. Finally.

@  Bass X0 : (24 May 2020 - 11:30 AM)

Scientist Perceptor is. Sniper Perceptor less so.

@  -Wildstrike- : (24 May 2020 - 10:51 AM)

Perceptor would be more responsible.

@  -Wildstrike- : (24 May 2020 - 10:48 AM)

Oof x~x

@  TheMightyMol... : (24 May 2020 - 10:45 AM)

He'd cure the virus, but he'd probably commit at least two crimes against nature and weaponize a third in the process.

@  -Wildstrike- : (24 May 2020 - 09:39 AM)

'Horrible consequences' would most likely happen with Brainstorm...

@  -Wildstrike- : (24 May 2020 - 08:16 AM)

Totally. And Percy's not even human. XD

@  TheMightyMol... : (24 May 2020 - 06:50 AM)

Can't do much worse than our current government, I say go for it.

@  Sabrblade : (23 May 2020 - 10:13 PM)

Little do we realize that the Perceptor in question is the Mini-Con combiner. :p

@  -Wildstrike- : (23 May 2020 - 10:11 PM)

He would!!!

@  -Wildstrike- : (23 May 2020 - 10:11 PM)

Horrible consequences? I... Doubt that would happen.

@  wonko the sane? : (23 May 2020 - 09:55 PM)

Even if he would come up with the answer by tomorrow.

@  wonko the sane? : (23 May 2020 - 09:54 PM)

I'd rather not deal with the horrible but unintended consequences of that.

@  -Wildstrike- : (23 May 2020 - 09:52 PM)

Lets let Perceptor make a vaccine for COVID-19. Who agrees with me :)

@  -Wildstrike- : (23 May 2020 - 08:43 PM)

I'll take your word for it. =D

@  TM2-Megatron : (23 May 2020 - 08:42 PM)

Although the TV edits of Robocop do contain some hilarity

@  TM2-Megatron : (23 May 2020 - 08:41 PM)

I can't think of any instance where sanitizing a film is a good thing.

@  -Wildstrike- : (23 May 2020 - 06:42 PM)

.... and thats a good thing? :doh

@  Steevy Maximus : (23 May 2020 - 06:39 PM)

I'm watching Predator on Starz! That means it has all the language and gore uncensored!

@  Sabrblade : (23 May 2020 - 04:23 PM)

*grabs popcorn*

@  -Wildstrike- : (23 May 2020 - 12:49 PM)

*watching everyone argue* O^O

@  fourteenwings : (23 May 2020 - 10:22 AM)

By that logic we might as well just get rid of the Shoutbox wholesale! I'd rather have like 3 or 4 things stuck for a week or so than one person dominating the whole thing (no offense Nevermore).

@  PlutoniumBoss : (23 May 2020 - 03:30 AM)

I would argue that "full of something one doesn't read" and "devoid of reading material" are functionally identical at the end-user level. :D

@  NotVeryKnightly : (22 May 2020 - 07:58 PM)

If it emptied, it would become empty.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (22 May 2020 - 07:53 PM)

It would be the same effect as if the shoutbox simply emptied once or twice a week.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (22 May 2020 - 07:27 PM)

I don't see how having walls of the same guy on top whenever I go to any page on this site is "refreshing".

@  PlutoniumBoss : (22 May 2020 - 06:10 PM)

I don't know, I find the occasional flushing of the box to be refreshing.

@  Telly : (22 May 2020 - 04:20 PM)

but its gets annoying seeing a wall of text from him that takes up most of the shoutbox

@  PlutoniumBoss : (22 May 2020 - 03:53 PM)

Eh, that's just Nevermore.

@  fourteenwings : (22 May 2020 - 12:11 AM)

@Nevermore: Good rule of thumb is if you feel like you need not just multiple statements but also multiple shouts to make a point, best just make a thread.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (21 May 2020 - 05:36 PM)

Dude, do you just, not know when to stop?

@  Nevermore : (21 May 2020 - 03:35 PM)

Instead of "I have only ten hours to get all my stuff from place A to place B", it's more like "I temporarily stored 90% of my stuff in easily accessible place C in my spare time, so now I have ten hours to get the remaining 10% of my stuff over to the new place before permanently saying goodbye to the old place".

@  NotVeryKnightly : (21 May 2020 - 03:33 PM)

At these point you two are just repeating what you already said.

@  Nevermore : (21 May 2020 - 03:32 PM)

Again using my "moving apartments" analogy. If you can store the stuff you don't immediately need for everyday life somewhere else, it reduces the critical time of permanently switching your primary base of residence over to the new place because there's less stuff to move when the time comes.

@  Nevermore : (21 May 2020 - 03:30 PM)

Well, my main point is that it will speed up the system migration so I have A) less system downtime because there are fewer files to transfer before the new system can be up and running and B) it reduces the risk of something going wrong during the system migration.

@  wonko the sane? : (21 May 2020 - 06:19 AM)

If your primary is getting cleaned up anyway cause you were backing stuff up, then yeah, no reason not to. But largely, it's not a necessary step.

@  Nevermore : (21 May 2020 - 03:33 AM)

It's like you find out that there's a fire going to break out in the house you live in soon, so you find a new place, get your entire Transformers collection into safe storage, and now all that's left are the empty cabinets which you intend to move over to your new place soon. If the fire breaks out before then, sure, you'd need to get new cabinets, but your toys are already out of the danger zone.

@  Nevermore : (21 May 2020 - 03:27 AM)

At this point, I'm in a "if the old system crashed before the new drive arrives, it will be slightly annoying, not a complete disaster" mood.

@  Nevermore : (21 May 2020 - 03:26 AM)

I've mostly just backed up my personal files and stuff on the external hard drive. The existing Windows installment is supposed to be directly cloned to the new drive once it arrives.

@  Hg Dragon : (21 May 2020 - 01:44 AM)

Who else has ever been so out of it that you've gotten into the shower with your glasses on?

@  Echowarrior : (20 May 2020 - 11:08 PM)

Nope. We've been forced to go with Eclipse. It sucks, and I will continue to call the people in charge of the website fascists until they give me reason to do otherwise.

@  CORVUS : (20 May 2020 - 10:20 PM)

Yeah, I'm not a fan of the new layout either. Fortunately you can stay with the old one though.

@  Liege : (20 May 2020 - 08:57 PM)

So now it matches 90% of the content.

@  Trpodeca : (20 May 2020 - 05:18 PM)

Wow the new Deviantart layout is terrible.

@  wonko the sane? : (20 May 2020 - 10:39 AM)

Are you referring to cloning your drive to install into your computer as the replacement, or are you creating an image to restore from should something unforseen occur?

Photo

The Absolute State of Marvel (and DC) - Superman gets thoroughly Bendised

536 replies to this topic

#521 Daith

Daith

My Nyah brings all the girls to the yard

• Supporter
  • 9432 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 23 January 2020 - 05:10 PM

I find most of the new Xbooks to be good. Fallen Angels seems to be meh but is already slated to be replaced by Hellions in a couple months.

Apocalypse being a mystic in Excalibur is odd but as long lived as he is isnt too surprising I guess. And this Excalibur team composition is just weird. Apocalypse, Bettsy Braddock Captain Britain, Rogue, Gambit, Rictor, Jubilee and Shogo even plays a part.

But character death in this Hickman era for any mutant character is cheap for now. With the exception of a select few its just die and be reborn a day later or so. But I am curious as to how that affects mutants that have been enhanced like Archangel or Apocalypse. It seemed to do nothing to change Apocalypse which is weird to me. They grow from DNA given to them stored in Sinisters genetic library but that wouldnt give Angel his metal wings back and Apocalypse his technological enhancements would it?

Switch code: SW-6538-7795-1972

#522 Maruten

Maruten
  • Staff
  • 7523 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 23 January 2020 - 06:08 PM

I'm okay with the cheap death because superhero death is always cheap, and I love that we've theoretically taken "short-lived death as ham-fisted shock tactic" off the table. It's refreshing. They undermined themselves somewhat by expecting us to care about the death of Professor X in like, week two or whatever, but on the whole they seem to be managing pretty well. 

I agree that Fallen Angels is the weak link, though in my case some of that may be down to distaste for a young Cable.

WsuGTl1.jpg

#523 D Immortalis

D Immortalis

I've gotta make the world know my name...

• Citizen
  • 3835 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 23 January 2020 - 08:21 PM

yeah Marauders is definitly th most fun and easily readable of the hickman era...

an i love hickman, for me hes up there with Grant Morrison...but i have S O DAMN MANY questions about continuity in the hickmn era,

_+-=-+DAEMON IMMORTALIS+-=-+_

Day One is over, The Future's approaching
The embers are glowing, we're spreading the ash

#524 Fero McPigletron

Fero McPigletron

Not a Maverick! Maybe.

• Citizen
  • 9066 posts

Posted 05 March 2020 - 10:20 AM

Ok, I got recommended at vid on YouTube about the 'Ultraviolet Lantern Corp'. What the hex? Sinistro again. And it's invisible spectrum? Whatever.

But the intro had a Flash related thing where there's a Strength Force, a Still Force and a Sage Force to go with the Speed Force?

I know one has to read the stories themselves to judge it but it's kinda ridiculous.

FWXOT0z.gif

TOY DRAMA THEATER!

1 minute of (minimal) lights, (steady) camera and...  ACTION FIGURES! (mostly Transformers) - Episode 031: Combiners and chest envy 

Episodes here

#525 ZakuConvoy

ZakuConvoy
  • Citizen
  • 625 posts

Posted 05 March 2020 - 04:57 PM

Yeah, all that stuff is spinning out from Snyder's Justice League run.  The idea was that each main Justice Leaguer's main enemy in the Legion of Doom got their own powerups.  These "dark energies" were supposed to reveal new powerups or allies for the corresponding Leaguer, but...it didn't quite work out that way, since not everyone wanted to play along with Snyder's plan.  Some of these "new energies" kind of turned out a little...abstract.

Green Lantern: Sinestro got the Ultraviolet spectrum, but I think the plan WAS that there was supposed to be more invisible color corps.  Like an Infrared corp, but that never happened.  Mostly, I think Snyder just wanted an excuse to put Sinestro back in his classic costume.  Basically, it's expressed vs repressed emotions.

Flash: The Turtle got the Still Force (the power...of slowness!), but over in the Flash book they also revealed Strength and Sage Forces to go along with it.  Apparently, they all feed from the same source, so they all had to die so the Speed Force could still survive.

Aquaman: Black Manta got the Tear of Extinction, a poison that can kill anything.  This actually led to a whole crossover on it's own and revealed different planet's water gods had a vendetta against Poseidon.  This is supposed to be in oppsosition to Aquaman's Life Force, which is a connection between all life.

Wonder Woman: Cheetah got the Void Wind, a way to kill gods and destroy magic.  This is in opposition to the Sphere of the Gods, the power of divinity and magic itself.

Martian Manhunter: Lex Luthor got the Black Apple, basically the hidden knowledge that the Martian race and Humans were originally supposed to be a single race of Apex Predators.  Also, uh, Martian Manhunter and Lex used to be friends back when they were kids, now.  This is in opposition to Manhunter's connection to the Collective Unconcousness.  A Secrets vs Connections force.

Superman: The World Forger got the Sixth Note, basically a dark utopian alternate future where the Justice League compromised their morals so they could save SOME people, because they decided they couldn't save everyone. This is in opposition to the power of Imagination and the Multiverse itself.  Kind of a fatalism vs possibilities thing.

Batman: This is still unrevealed, but it probably has something to do with either Joker or The Batman Who Laughs.  The power of Doom/Justice, I guess.  It's possible this was the Earth voting on who they believed in, the Justice League or the Legion of Doom, in the form of a giant Sigil of Doom over the entire planet, but I don't think we know for sure. 

Snyder's run HAS been ridiculous...but I think it's the fun kind of ridiculous.  It's huge and complicated and sprawling and cosmic and...I can't help but kind of love it.  I'm looking forward to the end in Dark Nights Death Metal.  Best Justice League run since Morrison's, in my opinion.  It's not going to be for everyone, though.

I think I like it because it kind of harkens back to last decade's trend of world building (Green Lantern got the color corps, which led to Iron Fist's Eight Hidden Cities, Superman's New Krypton, Witchblade's Artifacts, etc).  I have to give Snyder credit, he's actually trying to add to the DC universe's mythology.  He's creating new ideas like the Dark Multiverse and Forces and new character's like the Court of Owls and the World Forger.  I...doubt most of this will stick around in the long term, it's just a little too fiddly, but I appreciate the attempt.

Edited by ZakuConvoy, 05 March 2020 - 06:16 PM.

#526 Fero McPigletron

Fero McPigletron

Not a Maverick! Maybe.

• Citizen
  • 9066 posts

Posted 05 March 2020 - 06:31 PM

Wow, that's a lot of new stuff. I'm curious about alien water gods so I guess I'll look it up.

FWXOT0z.gif

TOY DRAMA THEATER!

1 minute of (minimal) lights, (steady) camera and...  ACTION FIGURES! (mostly Transformers) - Episode 031: Combiners and chest envy 

Episodes here

#527 ZakuConvoy

ZakuConvoy
  • Citizen
  • 625 posts

Posted 05 March 2020 - 07:00 PM

It's called Drowned Earth, if you want to look into it.  Not the highest point of the comic, but readable. Not sure I'd recommend it as a starting point, but I guess everyone starts somewhere.

Edited by ZakuConvoy, 05 March 2020 - 07:07 PM.

#528 D Immortalis

D Immortalis

• Citizen
  • 3835 posts

Posted 07 March 2020 - 05:33 AM

and now Wally West is both Dr. Manhattan AND metron.

without Didio i dunno how this whole Generation 5 thing is gonna play out of all of this, but im still enjoying DC WAY more than marvel right now.

Marvel on the otherhand...im not enjoying as much...and it mostly just a continuity thing. Like, The robot revolution in iron Man, is affecting NO OTHER books.

Hickman, who is one of my all-time fave writers, taking X-Men and...I have no ideating eith them...but now the books are just, X-Men on an island and stuff is political now, and it barely effect the other books.

I dunno, marvels seemingly got no continuity, and Continuity is all DC cares about...its so weird right now.

Edited by D Immortalis, 07 March 2020 - 05:35 AM.

#529 Daith

Daith

My Nyah brings all the girls to the yard

• Supporter
  • 9432 posts

Posted 07 March 2020 - 10:47 AM

.... right...

Ill admit Im only following Batman Beyond currently. But I do keep track of things here and there DC wise and to say they have any great continuity is laughable. Connectivity sure, but with all the time and multiverse shenanigans DC pulls out of their butts there is no way of keeping straight what is in what continuity. I mean we just had Ma and Pa Kent suddenly alive again after being dead for years after the new 52 and some time into Rebirth.

Sure Marvel does seem disconnected mostly. The entire X line does seem like their own world now with all mutants pretty much on Krakoa.

Switch code: SW-6538-7795-1972

#530 D Immortalis

D Immortalis

• Citizen
  • 3835 posts

Posted 07 March 2020 - 01:34 PM

right, the Ma and Pa kent thing...im blaming it all on the upcoming thing where they will die again because apparently superman and batman and wonder woman will be old people.

#531 ZakuConvoy

ZakuConvoy
  • Citizen
  • 625 posts

Posted 07 March 2020 - 04:05 PM

The X-Men being it's own thing...is kinda par for the course, really.  And I have a feeling HIckman's going to use Moira's new ability to undo all of this by the end of his run, anyway.  I mean, it's basically that or have another Genosha moment, because I can't imagine this being the status quo after his run's over.  And he did make a point to say that he'd put all the toys "back on the shelf" after he was done.

https://www.comicsbe...lan-x-men-sdcc/

Ma and Pa Kent being alive...I'll admit, I like the Kents being alive.  Not everyone needs a Batman origin, DC. Plus, it kinda-sorta ties into the return of Hypertime to continuity, where anything can be continuity and things can change quickly.  I mean, I guess Doomsday Clock was set on an alternate Earth (?), but it's still going to effect the main-DC universe anyway during Death Metal (?!).  So, yeah, DC's continuity is...shall we say "flexible" right now.  Especially if Bleeding Cool is to be belived, and the old future plans they had are changing because Didio is basically out, now.

https://www.bleeding..._popular_mobile

Edited by ZakuConvoy, 07 March 2020 - 04:13 PM.

#532 Confuzor

Confuzor

They put em in Smash Bros!!!!

• Supporter
  • 8195 posts

Posted 07 March 2020 - 08:11 PM

What exactly is Hickman's involvement in the ongoing X Books? I loved HoX/PoX but don't feel like following 10 X Books going forward.

#533 ZacWilliam1

ZacWilliam1
  • Citizen
  • 17697 posts
  • Faction::RIRFIB

Posted 08 March 2020 - 02:22 AM

What exactly is Hickman's involvement in the ongoing X Books? I loved HoX/PoX but don't feel like following 10 X Books going forward.

Writing or co-writting the main books and the outliers he can/wants to and "show running", planning, overseeing, directing the whole X-Universe next few years according to the extensive, exhaustive notes and planning he always does.

-ZacWilliam, I loved Hox/Pox but didn't have the time, opportunity (getting to the store can be hard) and money to follow everything after (In a perfect world I would have liked to) so I'm keeping up with most via online buzz and dipping in occasionally.

Edited by ZacWilliam1, 08 March 2020 - 02:24 AM.

Ever wonder about the speed of Turbofoxes?
Or the proverbial ailerons of Titanium Moosebots?

*Visit the one and only Cybertronic Bestiary.
For a mechazoologic tour of the mechanimals of Cybertron.

#534 LiamA

LiamA
  • Citizen
  • 3338 posts

Posted 08 March 2020 - 01:19 PM

I dunno, marvels seemingly got no continuity, and Continuity is all DC cares about...its so weird right now.

Tell me about it. Iron Man fought Ultron/Hank Pym in his book when it should have been in The Avengers.

#535 ZakuConvoy

ZakuConvoy
  • Citizen
  • 625 posts

Posted 08 March 2020 - 02:50 PM

Supposedly, all you "need" to follow for Hickman's X-Men is the main X-Men book...but plot points like Xavier's assassination have already happened in X-Force (which he wasn't even co-writing), and some important world building is happening in the spin off books.  Marauders is my personal favorite.  It's hard to say how much will end up being "important" to Hickman's actual run in the end, and they're just adding more X-books in the coming months (Cable, Giant Sized, X-Factor..etc, etc, etc).

I'm expecting Hickman's run to be the usual-for-him 50-ish issues.  Maybe less.  Doing stuff like the Avengers is one thing, but the X-Men is basically larger than the output of some small comic publishers.  I'm not sure how long he's going to be able to herd all these cats.

And it's all been..okay.  Not as good as HoXPoX, but that's not really fair and it's fairly early in the run.  HoXPoX kind of spoiled us (in more ways than one).  The main books are going at a slower pace.  And it seems especially slow, since all these books are basically just at the beginnings of everyone's runs.  They really haven't had a chance to get up to speed, yet.

#536 LiamA

LiamA
  • Citizen
  • 3338 posts

Posted 08 March 2020 - 07:08 PM

I was rather disappointed with the Giant Size X-Men: Jean Grey and Emma Frost book. It was a ripoff of Grant Morrison's silent X-Men issue with Hickman lifting scenes from it verbatim.

#537 LiamA

LiamA
  • Citizen
  • 3338 posts

Posted 10 April 2020 - 02:40 PM

I just read the new 'Freedom Fighters' graphic novel yesterday and I noticed that comics nowadays seem less dense than older comics. I flew through the thing rather quickly but older comics it takes me awhile just to get through one issue.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users