Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  Verno : (11 July 2020 - 11:20 PM)

2021: :idea :rolleyes :p :D

@  -LittleAutob... : (11 July 2020 - 06:20 PM)

Perfection. :thumbsup

@  Patch : (11 July 2020 - 06:17 PM)

My plans:  :hmm  2020:  :)

@  -LittleAutob... : (11 July 2020 - 06:02 PM)

Our plans for 2020 were as amazing as Optimus Prime. But then 2020 came like Hot Rod.

@  -LittleAutob... : (11 July 2020 - 05:50 PM)

Indeed....

@  Bass X0 : (11 July 2020 - 05:40 PM)

"He who dies with the most toys wins."

@  Rycochet : (11 July 2020 - 01:11 PM)

Hey you, get moving, it's not too far, you're looking good so come as you are. Hey you, you never know what you'll see, when it's through that door with the 73.

@  Rycochet : (11 July 2020 - 01:10 PM)

Hey you, get ready, get on your feet. Get into gear and hit the street.

@  Maximus Ambus : (11 July 2020 - 12:46 PM)

I recall number 73 (old british show) discussing the Transformers movie and had the presenters trying to transform a few figures, one argued his deflated beach ball was a Transformer too.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (11 July 2020 - 08:03 AM)

And he's a big ball, but he's not the biggest ball of them all. (That'll be Pulse Unicron.)

@  Maximus Ambus : (11 July 2020 - 07:37 AM)

Trypticon so scared my Primus figure he turned into a ball.

@  ▲ndrusi : (09 July 2020 - 09:56 PM)

King Nine, however, will not return.

@  Bass X0 : (09 July 2020 - 05:05 PM)

Bass_X0 will return after these messages ^^^

@  TheMightyMol... : (09 July 2020 - 03:37 PM)

WHATAMIFIGHTINGFOOOOOOOOARRGH

@  -LittleAutob... : (09 July 2020 - 02:06 PM)

Okay?

@  Otaku : (09 July 2020 - 07:47 AM)

@TheMightyMollusk Ah, but the series itself has pronounced "Bass" both ways. ;)  Oh, 90s English Capcom video game voice acting...

@  Maximus Ambus : (09 July 2020 - 03:14 AM)

Looking at my Titan Returns collection I can see they realised they didn't have to paint the Titan Masters after wave one, lazy bums.

@  Maruten : (08 July 2020 - 09:13 PM)

No, I'm going with "fish".

@  TheMightyMol... : (08 July 2020 - 04:19 PM)

He stated that it's in reference to the Mega Man character, so it follows the series' tradition of music names.

@  Cybersnark : (08 July 2020 - 03:59 PM)

The real question is if it's "bass" as in music or "bass" as in the fish.

@  Otaku : (08 July 2020 - 01:27 PM)

Well, at least now I know how to pronounce @Bass X0 's screen name. ^^'  Rather, I think I'd just forgotten.  In my defense, it really does look like an emoticon or maybe just "decoration", which is what a lot of folks add to their screen names online.  Usually because someone has the name they really want. XD

@  ▲ndrusi : (08 July 2020 - 01:27 PM)

Extremely unimpressed with your idea that someone making a negative observation you don't like means they "got triggered."

@  NotVeryKnightly : (08 July 2020 - 11:16 AM)

You know somebody asked "And this would be in relation to... what exactly?"

@  Bass X0 : (08 July 2020 - 11:15 AM)

Its because someone got triggered over my random musings instead of just ignoring them. If I read one of your comments that is of no relevance or interest to me, I don't feel the need to say so.

@  -LittleAutob... : (08 July 2020 - 10:56 AM)

All this over someone's username lol

@  ▲ndrusi : (08 July 2020 - 08:34 AM)

Bazro.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (08 July 2020 - 06:34 AM)

It could be Bass 10-0

@  Nevermore : (08 July 2020 - 06:11 AM)

How do you pronounce yourself? "Bass Ex-O" or "Bass Ex-Zero"?

@  Bass X0 : (08 July 2020 - 03:23 AM)

I did almost go with Vile Bass X0, because Vile is cool too.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (07 July 2020 - 08:34 PM)

Bossk Saw

@  ▲ndrusi : (07 July 2020 - 04:16 PM)

Bass XD

@  Bass X0 : (07 July 2020 - 03:43 PM)

And its not Bass XO, its Bass X0, as in Bass, X and Zero from the Mega Man series.

@  -LittleAutob... : (07 July 2020 - 02:33 PM)

@Trpodeca :( :(

@  -LittleAutob... : (07 July 2020 - 02:32 PM)

Thats what a gray rock is? Then I'm not one.

@  Trpodeca : (07 July 2020 - 02:12 PM)

Man I just learnt about what seemed like a really cool show, only to realize it was a dream and it dosen't really exist.

@  Bass X0 : (07 July 2020 - 01:02 PM)

Just something I read that I wanted to share. I heard "gray rock" mentioned in a video, so I looked it up and that was the definition.

@  TheMightyMol... : (07 July 2020 - 12:20 PM)

It's a fancy way of saying "Ignore annoying people".

@  NotVeryKnightly : (07 July 2020 - 12:15 PM)

Bass XO has a habit of pasting random drivel here as if doing so were profound.

@  wonko the sane? : (07 July 2020 - 11:30 AM)

And this would be in relation to... what exactly?

@  Bass X0 : (07 July 2020 - 11:25 AM)

"One strategy for dealing with a narcissist or sociopath is to act like a "gray rock," meaning that you become uninteresting and unresponsive. You don't feed their needs for drama or attention. You don't show emotion, say anything interesting, or disclose any personal information"

@  Nevermore : (06 July 2020 - 07:23 PM)

Oh wow. Studio Series Offroad Bumblebee is awesome. His articulation is amazing.

@  -LittleAutob... : (06 July 2020 - 11:18 AM)

Oof-

@  Maximus Ambus : (05 July 2020 - 01:10 AM)

I got Studio Series 39 Cogman yesterday and woke up to find he'd decapitated my titans returns figures.

@  wonko the sane? : (04 July 2020 - 10:19 PM)

If I had a sarcasm powered mouth.. ooohh waaaiiittt...

@  -LittleAutob... : (04 July 2020 - 05:01 PM)

Heh

@  Bass X0 : (04 July 2020 - 02:56 PM)

"If I had sarcasm-powered legs, I'd do a happy dance...!"

@  TheMightyMol... : (04 July 2020 - 02:39 PM)

The real clones were the friends we made along the way.

@  Maximus Ambus : (04 July 2020 - 01:47 PM)

So the Emperor in episodes 1 through 6 was a clone?

@  ▲ndrusi : (04 July 2020 - 10:47 AM)

(And the 0th anniversary of the last time I couldn't do math.)

@  ▲ndrusi : (04 July 2020 - 10:46 AM)

Today is the 24th anniversary of the day we fought off an alien invasion with the help of Will Smith.

Photo

The Absolute State of Marvel (and DC) - Superman gets thoroughly Bendised

541 replies to this topic

#521 Daith

Daith

My Nyah brings all the girls to the yard

• Supporter
  • 9513 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 23 January 2020 - 05:10 PM

I find most of the new Xbooks to be good. Fallen Angels seems to be meh but is already slated to be replaced by Hellions in a couple months.

Apocalypse being a mystic in Excalibur is odd but as long lived as he is isnt too surprising I guess. And this Excalibur team composition is just weird. Apocalypse, Bettsy Braddock Captain Britain, Rogue, Gambit, Rictor, Jubilee and Shogo even plays a part.

But character death in this Hickman era for any mutant character is cheap for now. With the exception of a select few its just die and be reborn a day later or so. But I am curious as to how that affects mutants that have been enhanced like Archangel or Apocalypse. It seemed to do nothing to change Apocalypse which is weird to me. They grow from DNA given to them stored in Sinisters genetic library but that wouldnt give Angel his metal wings back and Apocalypse his technological enhancements would it?

Switch code: SW-6538-7795-1972

#522 Maruten

Maruten
  • Staff
  • 7617 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 23 January 2020 - 06:08 PM

I'm okay with the cheap death because superhero death is always cheap, and I love that we've theoretically taken "short-lived death as ham-fisted shock tactic" off the table. It's refreshing. They undermined themselves somewhat by expecting us to care about the death of Professor X in like, week two or whatever, but on the whole they seem to be managing pretty well. 

I agree that Fallen Angels is the weak link, though in my case some of that may be down to distaste for a young Cable.

WsuGTl1.jpg

#523 D Immortalis

D Immortalis

I've gotta make the world know my name...

• Citizen
  • 3886 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 23 January 2020 - 08:21 PM

yeah Marauders is definitly th most fun and easily readable of the hickman era...

an i love hickman, for me hes up there with Grant Morrison...but i have S O DAMN MANY questions about continuity in the hickmn era,

_+-=-+DAEMON IMMORTALIS+-=-+_

I see behind a thousand lies that you try to hide

I bleed inside: you left your knife but I'm still alive
I...love the way you kill me
I love the way you watch me die

Life or death a bullet to the chest
I'd do it again...
Just when I think I've cut you out
You come with open arms to drag me down

#524 Fero McPigletron

Fero McPigletron

Not a Maverick! Maybe.

• Citizen
  • 9145 posts

Posted 05 March 2020 - 10:20 AM

Ok, I got recommended at vid on YouTube about the 'Ultraviolet Lantern Corp'. What the hex? Sinistro again. And it's invisible spectrum? Whatever.

But the intro had a Flash related thing where there's a Strength Force, a Still Force and a Sage Force to go with the Speed Force?

I know one has to read the stories themselves to judge it but it's kinda ridiculous.

FWXOT0z.gif

TOY DRAMA THEATER!

1 minute of (minimal) lights, (steady) camera and...  ACTION FIGURES! (mostly Transformers) - Episode 031: Combiners and chest envy 

Episodes here

#525 ZakuConvoy

ZakuConvoy
  • Citizen
  • 649 posts

Posted 05 March 2020 - 04:57 PM

Yeah, all that stuff is spinning out from Snyder's Justice League run.  The idea was that each main Justice Leaguer's main enemy in the Legion of Doom got their own powerups.  These "dark energies" were supposed to reveal new powerups or allies for the corresponding Leaguer, but...it didn't quite work out that way, since not everyone wanted to play along with Snyder's plan.  Some of these "new energies" kind of turned out a little...abstract.

Green Lantern: Sinestro got the Ultraviolet spectrum, but I think the plan WAS that there was supposed to be more invisible color corps.  Like an Infrared corp, but that never happened.  Mostly, I think Snyder just wanted an excuse to put Sinestro back in his classic costume.  Basically, it's expressed vs repressed emotions.

Flash: The Turtle got the Still Force (the power...of slowness!), but over in the Flash book they also revealed Strength and Sage Forces to go along with it.  Apparently, they all feed from the same source, so they all had to die so the Speed Force could still survive.

Aquaman: Black Manta got the Tear of Extinction, a poison that can kill anything.  This actually led to a whole crossover on it's own and revealed different planet's water gods had a vendetta against Poseidon.  This is supposed to be in oppsosition to Aquaman's Life Force, which is a connection between all life.

Wonder Woman: Cheetah got the Void Wind, a way to kill gods and destroy magic.  This is in opposition to the Sphere of the Gods, the power of divinity and magic itself.

Martian Manhunter: Lex Luthor got the Black Apple, basically the hidden knowledge that the Martian race and Humans were originally supposed to be a single race of Apex Predators.  Also, uh, Martian Manhunter and Lex used to be friends back when they were kids, now.  This is in opposition to Manhunter's connection to the Collective Unconcousness.  A Secrets vs Connections force.

Superman: The World Forger got the Sixth Note, basically a dark utopian alternate future where the Justice League compromised their morals so they could save SOME people, because they decided they couldn't save everyone. This is in opposition to the power of Imagination and the Multiverse itself.  Kind of a fatalism vs possibilities thing.

Batman: This is still unrevealed, but it probably has something to do with either Joker or The Batman Who Laughs.  The power of Doom/Justice, I guess.  It's possible this was the Earth voting on who they believed in, the Justice League or the Legion of Doom, in the form of a giant Sigil of Doom over the entire planet, but I don't think we know for sure. 

Snyder's run HAS been ridiculous...but I think it's the fun kind of ridiculous.  It's huge and complicated and sprawling and cosmic and...I can't help but kind of love it.  I'm looking forward to the end in Dark Nights Death Metal.  Best Justice League run since Morrison's, in my opinion.  It's not going to be for everyone, though.

I think I like it because it kind of harkens back to last decade's trend of world building (Green Lantern got the color corps, which led to Iron Fist's Eight Hidden Cities, Superman's New Krypton, Witchblade's Artifacts, etc).  I have to give Snyder credit, he's actually trying to add to the DC universe's mythology.  He's creating new ideas like the Dark Multiverse and Forces and new character's like the Court of Owls and the World Forger.  I...doubt most of this will stick around in the long term, it's just a little too fiddly, but I appreciate the attempt.

Edited by ZakuConvoy, 05 March 2020 - 06:16 PM.

#526 Fero McPigletron

Fero McPigletron

Not a Maverick! Maybe.

• Citizen
  • 9145 posts

Posted 05 March 2020 - 06:31 PM

Wow, that's a lot of new stuff. I'm curious about alien water gods so I guess I'll look it up.

FWXOT0z.gif

TOY DRAMA THEATER!

1 minute of (minimal) lights, (steady) camera and...  ACTION FIGURES! (mostly Transformers) - Episode 031: Combiners and chest envy 

Episodes here

#527 ZakuConvoy

ZakuConvoy
  • Citizen
  • 649 posts

Posted 05 March 2020 - 07:00 PM

It's called Drowned Earth, if you want to look into it.  Not the highest point of the comic, but readable. Not sure I'd recommend it as a starting point, but I guess everyone starts somewhere.

Edited by ZakuConvoy, 05 March 2020 - 07:07 PM.

#528 D Immortalis

D Immortalis

• Citizen
  • 3886 posts

Posted 07 March 2020 - 05:33 AM

and now Wally West is both Dr. Manhattan AND metron.

without Didio i dunno how this whole Generation 5 thing is gonna play out of all of this, but im still enjoying DC WAY more than marvel right now.

Marvel on the otherhand...im not enjoying as much...and it mostly just a continuity thing. Like, The robot revolution in iron Man, is affecting NO OTHER books.

Hickman, who is one of my all-time fave writers, taking X-Men and...I have no ideating eith them...but now the books are just, X-Men on an island and stuff is political now, and it barely effect the other books.

I dunno, marvels seemingly got no continuity, and Continuity is all DC cares about...its so weird right now.

Edited by D Immortalis, 07 March 2020 - 05:35 AM.

I'd do it again...

#529 Daith

Daith

My Nyah brings all the girls to the yard

• Supporter
  • 9513 posts

Posted 07 March 2020 - 10:47 AM

.... right...

Ill admit Im only following Batman Beyond currently. But I do keep track of things here and there DC wise and to say they have any great continuity is laughable. Connectivity sure, but with all the time and multiverse shenanigans DC pulls out of their butts there is no way of keeping straight what is in what continuity. I mean we just had Ma and Pa Kent suddenly alive again after being dead for years after the new 52 and some time into Rebirth.

Sure Marvel does seem disconnected mostly. The entire X line does seem like their own world now with all mutants pretty much on Krakoa.

Switch code: SW-6538-7795-1972

#530 D Immortalis

D Immortalis

• Citizen
  • 3886 posts

Posted 07 March 2020 - 01:34 PM

right, the Ma and Pa kent thing...im blaming it all on the upcoming thing where they will die again because apparently superman and batman and wonder woman will be old people.

I'd do it again...

#531 ZakuConvoy

ZakuConvoy
  • Citizen
  • 649 posts

Posted 07 March 2020 - 04:05 PM

The X-Men being it's own thing...is kinda par for the course, really.  And I have a feeling HIckman's going to use Moira's new ability to undo all of this by the end of his run, anyway.  I mean, it's basically that or have another Genosha moment, because I can't imagine this being the status quo after his run's over.  And he did make a point to say that he'd put all the toys "back on the shelf" after he was done.

https://www.comicsbe...lan-x-men-sdcc/

Ma and Pa Kent being alive...I'll admit, I like the Kents being alive.  Not everyone needs a Batman origin, DC. Plus, it kinda-sorta ties into the return of Hypertime to continuity, where anything can be continuity and things can change quickly.  I mean, I guess Doomsday Clock was set on an alternate Earth (?), but it's still going to effect the main-DC universe anyway during Death Metal (?!).  So, yeah, DC's continuity is...shall we say "flexible" right now.  Especially if Bleeding Cool is to be belived, and the old future plans they had are changing because Didio is basically out, now.

https://www.bleeding..._popular_mobile

Edited by ZakuConvoy, 07 March 2020 - 04:13 PM.

#532 Confuzor

Confuzor

They put em in Smash Bros!!!!

• Supporter
  • 8231 posts

Posted 07 March 2020 - 08:11 PM

What exactly is Hickman's involvement in the ongoing X Books? I loved HoX/PoX but don't feel like following 10 X Books going forward.

#533 ZacWilliam1

ZacWilliam1
  • Citizen
  • 17827 posts
  • Faction::RIRFIB

Posted 08 March 2020 - 02:22 AM

What exactly is Hickman's involvement in the ongoing X Books? I loved HoX/PoX but don't feel like following 10 X Books going forward.

Writing or co-writting the main books and the outliers he can/wants to and "show running", planning, overseeing, directing the whole X-Universe next few years according to the extensive, exhaustive notes and planning he always does.

-ZacWilliam, I loved Hox/Pox but didn't have the time, opportunity (getting to the store can be hard) and money to follow everything after (In a perfect world I would have liked to) so I'm keeping up with most via online buzz and dipping in occasionally.

Edited by ZacWilliam1, 08 March 2020 - 02:24 AM.

Ever wonder about the speed of Turbofoxes?
Or the proverbial ailerons of Titanium Moosebots?

*Visit the one and only Cybertronic Bestiary.
For a mechazoologic tour of the mechanimals of Cybertron.

#534 LiamA

LiamA
  • Citizen
  • 3358 posts

Posted 08 March 2020 - 01:19 PM

I dunno, marvels seemingly got no continuity, and Continuity is all DC cares about...its so weird right now.

Tell me about it. Iron Man fought Ultron/Hank Pym in his book when it should have been in The Avengers.

#535 ZakuConvoy

ZakuConvoy
  • Citizen
  • 649 posts

Posted 08 March 2020 - 02:50 PM

Supposedly, all you "need" to follow for Hickman's X-Men is the main X-Men book...but plot points like Xavier's assassination have already happened in X-Force (which he wasn't even co-writing), and some important world building is happening in the spin off books.  Marauders is my personal favorite.  It's hard to say how much will end up being "important" to Hickman's actual run in the end, and they're just adding more X-books in the coming months (Cable, Giant Sized, X-Factor..etc, etc, etc).

I'm expecting Hickman's run to be the usual-for-him 50-ish issues.  Maybe less.  Doing stuff like the Avengers is one thing, but the X-Men is basically larger than the output of some small comic publishers.  I'm not sure how long he's going to be able to herd all these cats.

And it's all been..okay.  Not as good as HoXPoX, but that's not really fair and it's fairly early in the run.  HoXPoX kind of spoiled us (in more ways than one).  The main books are going at a slower pace.  And it seems especially slow, since all these books are basically just at the beginnings of everyone's runs.  They really haven't had a chance to get up to speed, yet.

#536 LiamA

LiamA
  • Citizen
  • 3358 posts

Posted 08 March 2020 - 07:08 PM

I was rather disappointed with the Giant Size X-Men: Jean Grey and Emma Frost book. It was a ripoff of Grant Morrison's silent X-Men issue with Hickman lifting scenes from it verbatim.

#537 LiamA

LiamA
  • Citizen
  • 3358 posts

Posted 10 April 2020 - 02:40 PM

I just read the new 'Freedom Fighters' graphic novel yesterday and I noticed that comics nowadays seem less dense than older comics. I flew through the thing rather quickly but older comics it takes me awhile just to get through one issue.

#538 Maruten

Maruten
  • Staff
  • 7617 posts

Posted 14 June 2020 - 08:34 PM

I'm almost caught up on Young Justice. Past me claimed in this thread to have enjoyed #1, but I never made it to the end of #2 for some reason. But then I found out the Wonder Twins eventually show up so I figured I'd give it another crack. 

I'm really loving it. It helps that shitty reboots and (at least some version of?) the original run being a thing that existed but was forgotten are key plot points, which makes it easy to move past any "this ain't my continuity" old man grumbling. 

Jinny Hex is fantastic. I hope the roster expands to include at least recurring visits from, if not lead roles for, the other Wonder Comics characters because I cannot go back to a world with no Zan and Jayna. I'VE DONE MY TIME, DC

Edited by Maruten, 28 June 2020 - 05:53 PM.

WsuGTl1.jpg

#539 CORVUS

CORVUS

Holy crap!

• Supporter
  • 33528 posts

Posted 14 June 2020 - 09:42 PM

Wait, wait, WAIT!

Jinny Hex??

*Do you want to know more intensifies*

Looks like I'm going to be going back and read'n me some Young Justice.

Edited by CORVUS, 14 June 2020 - 09:45 PM.

"Too much of a good thing is an awesome thing. But too much of an awesome thing is…umm…really, really dumb and bad. " - Strong Bad

#540 Maruten

Maruten
  • Staff
  • 7617 posts

Posted 14 June 2020 - 11:05 PM

I'm kicking myself. Why did I not keep reading? I could not love the book more. 

And googling Jinny tells me that she had appeared prior to YJ in a book that was exclusive to Walmart, so... that's handy. -.-

WsuGTl1.jpg

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users