Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  TheMightyMol... : (12 November 2019 - 02:14 PM)

I don't. They're a pain in the ass to repair.

@  Benbot : (12 November 2019 - 12:48 PM)

I wish car companies would bring back flip up headlights

@  TheMightyMol... : (12 November 2019 - 09:07 AM)

Wear a hazmat suit. It's Walmart, they're used to weird.

@  wonko the sane? : (12 November 2019 - 07:54 AM)

2 inches of snow on the side of the house, 2 feet of snow on the deck. I hate this winter already.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (11 November 2019 - 11:33 PM)

But that requires actually going IN walmart. ;P

@  Liege : (11 November 2019 - 11:22 PM)

Pro tip for anyone hunting the for the Walmart 35th exclusives: try the seasonal aisles rather than the toy section. I found the display with all the exclusives and a bunch of the reflector wave practically untouched amongst those novelty arcade machines and a bunch of frozen merch.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (11 November 2019 - 09:45 PM)

Although that does spark an idea for me. In a new continuity, Censere the Necrobot could be the herald Cityspeaker for Quintessa the Necrotitan just to play on their monikers utilizing Greek for dead, nekrós.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (11 November 2019 - 09:26 PM)

I hate to burst your bubble, Maximus Ambus, but 90% of things said in IDW turned out to be amnesiac half-rememberings courtesy of Adaptus or outright lies courtesy of Shockwave.

@  Jenny : (11 November 2019 - 08:54 AM)

The toy's designed to look like Wipe-Out, anyway.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (11 November 2019 - 08:14 AM)

Didn't they try to retcon that into a figure of speech because that connection went against everybody else's long-term plans?

@  Maximus Ambus : (11 November 2019 - 03:53 AM)

There's still some connection given Trypticon was created by Mortilus.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (11 November 2019 - 12:12 AM)

Yeah that toy doesn't exactly look like Necrobot.

@  Sabrblade : (10 November 2019 - 08:24 PM)

But.... it's just "Necro" not "Necrobot".

@  TheMightyMol... : (10 November 2019 - 05:10 PM)

But why does the God of Death need a giant space kaiju? Wait, never mind, answered my own question.

@  Maximus Ambus : (10 November 2019 - 02:15 PM)

Yowza I just realised Titans Trypticon comes with Necro AKA Censere AKA Mortilus.

@  Nevermore : (10 November 2019 - 01:15 PM)

I... think the best equivalent would actually be the British "There is room for improvement".

@  Nevermore : (10 November 2019 - 01:15 PM)

There's always a sense of irony to it, but what the ratio between irony (you really failed) and straightworwardness (at least you achieved something) is depends on the situation and the speaker.

@  Nevermore : (10 November 2019 - 01:12 PM)

The meaning can be both literal (you succeed on one level but fail on another), or it can be utterly ironic (you fail in every regard but the most technical; or even worse, "you really gave your best"), and anything in between.

@  Nevermore : (10 November 2019 - 01:10 PM)

For example: A singer can hit the notes really well, but clearly isn't a native speaker and what little of the lyrics you can make out sounds nothing like what it's supposed to be.

@  wonko the sane? : (10 November 2019 - 01:06 PM)

The premise seems to be the mixing of technical and aesthetic technical qualities towards the overall success.

@  wonko the sane? : (10 November 2019 - 01:05 PM)

But both "hollow victory" and pyrrhic victory" are referring to having lost as much as you've gained. IE; a battle was won but both armies were destroyed. The town being seiged is victorious, but all the soldiers are still dead. Nevermore's concept is more "You did it, but it's so ugly we don't know if you actually succeeded".

@  Sabrblade : (10 November 2019 - 11:35 AM)

Alternately, one could probably also call it a "hollow victory".

@  Sabrblade : (10 November 2019 - 11:35 AM)

Example: In the Powerpuff Girls episode "Uh Oh Dynamo", the monster-of-the-day was a really tough, giant-size one that required the use of a really destructive mech to defeat it. While the monster was ultimately beaten, the city of Townsville was utterly trashed by the mech's weapons in the process. So, while the city was saved from the monster, it was harmed even worse by the mech that saved it, making the victory bittersweet.

@  Sabrblade : (10 November 2019 - 11:32 AM)

@Nevermore, sounds to me like what one might call a "bittersweet victory". The goal was met, but at great cost or by disastrous result that call into question if the achieved goal could even be called a success.

@  Arvegtor : (10 November 2019 - 09:40 AM)

Seems to be close enough to "Pyrrhic victory"

@  NotVeryKnightly : (10 November 2019 - 09:37 AM)

What do you get from putting the German term through a translator?

@  wonko the sane? : (10 November 2019 - 08:57 AM)

That is a ridiculously interesting concept. But I don't think english has a singular term for what you're describing.

@  Nevermore : (10 November 2019 - 08:28 AM)

Is there an English equivalent for what we Germans call "deductions in the B rating"? Context: Someone did something and suceeded on a technical level (as in, achieved the intended goal), but failed to some degree in the details, i.e. there was some collateral damage, or while a technical success, the end result is an aestetic failure. It can be used highly ironically, as in "barely achieved the intended goal, but failed so much in every aspect that's not purely technical that it might as well be considered an utter failure altogether." The German term is derived from the old judging syste in figure skating, which gave separate ratings for "technical merit" and "presentation", with the latter being the origin of the German term.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (10 November 2019 - 02:32 AM)

Huh. I did not know before today that "medieval" had an alternate spelling "mediaeval". Like "paleontology" and "palaeontology".

@  Maximus Ambus : (09 November 2019 - 04:15 PM)

'Beast Wars in underrated' the comment went. I exploded.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (09 November 2019 - 02:19 PM)

Absolutely.

@  wonko the sane? : (09 November 2019 - 02:14 PM)

So... you can look like a cop from the 70's AND a huge nerd at the same time?

@  PlutoniumBoss : (09 November 2019 - 02:09 PM)

I feel like the best way to carry the Switch would be an under-arm torso holster.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (09 November 2019 - 12:31 PM)

It's not. hell. If the 3DS zelda case just stretched a LITTLE more it would fit.

@  TheMightyMol... : (09 November 2019 - 03:38 AM)

I feel like the Switch Lite is a bit big to have hanging on your belt like that, but I don't take my Switch out with me often anyway.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (09 November 2019 - 01:13 AM)

I must be the only one who wants a switch lite case with a belt loop. o.O

@  TheMightyMol... : (08 November 2019 - 03:03 PM)

I'm gonna have "Chainsaw Buffet" and "Candy For the Cannibal" by Lordi playing in my head all night.

@  Maximus Ambus : (08 November 2019 - 12:36 PM)

Trick or treaters can only consent to cannibalism in Germania.

@  Sabrblade : (07 November 2019 - 12:12 PM)

Hey, if the trick or treaters can't take some loving insults, that's their problem.

@  Arazyr : (07 November 2019 - 11:39 AM)

Just make sure to put the leftovers in the fridge, so they don't get spoiled.

@  wonko the sane? : (07 November 2019 - 11:10 AM)

I love children... but I can never eat a whole one.

@  TheMightyMol... : (07 November 2019 - 09:52 AM)

I can neither confirm nor deny this allegation.

@  Paladin : (07 November 2019 - 09:46 AM)

...you don't roast the trick or treaters, do you....

@  wonko the sane? : (07 November 2019 - 09:38 AM)

A cold beer, a warm fire, some smores and trick or treaters... Man, you got this life thing down.

@  wonko the sane? : (07 November 2019 - 09:37 AM)

That actually sounds pretty awesome.

@  MEDdMI : (07 November 2019 - 08:59 AM)

we'll move to the open garage if it's raining

@  MEDdMI : (07 November 2019 - 08:58 AM)

every Halloween since we got a house, TMM and I chill in the driveway with a fire bowl and roast things while handing out candy. It's pretty great.

@  Maximus Ambus : (07 November 2019 - 03:42 AM)

Peter Cullen voiced King Kong let that sink in.

@  TM2-Megatron : (06 November 2019 - 11:42 PM)

I've noticed that after a year or two, though, people with children will start getting into it for their kids

@  TM2-Megatron : (06 November 2019 - 11:41 PM)

I think a lot of the decline you see in Halloween is due to newcomers to Canada who don't really get it... I mean,there are only a handful of countries in the world that practice this particular oddity

Photo

The Absolute State of Marvel (and DC) - Superman gets thoroughly Bendised

516 replies to this topic

#441 ZacWilliam1

ZacWilliam1
  • Citizen
  • 17333 posts
  • Faction::RIRFIB

Posted 06 April 2019 - 02:12 PM

Got to pick up War of the Realms #1 today and I was surprised how much I really, really liked it. Probably the best Modern Marvel event start next to Hickman's Secret Wars and with a more "Classic Marvel" feel. It felt a bit like Infinity Gauntlet to me, in a really good way. That is kind of my Marvel Crossover benchmark (along with maybe the first 1980s Secret Wars) and this was nicely similar.

-ZacWilliam, I was gonna buy the McElroy's spin-off mini anyway, because those guys are awesome, but now I'm even more onboard, and definitely looking forward to see how this goes.

Edited by ZacWilliam1, 06 April 2019 - 02:12 PM.

Ever wonder about the speed of Turbofoxes?
Or the proverbial ailerons of Titanium Moosebots?

*Visit the one and only Cybertronic Bestiary.
For a mechazoologic tour of the mechanimals of Cybertron.

#442 Sean Whitmore

Sean Whitmore
  • Citizen
  • 8037 posts

Posted 24 April 2019 - 08:25 PM

Just read the spoilers for Heroes in Crisis.

I can remember a version of myself who would have been real mad at this. Nowadays, I kinda just feel bad for everyone that's still in the game, spending their hard-earned dough on stuff like this.

(I mean, I guess someone out there will be happy looking back at the $36 they paid for this story. And hey, bless their hearts.)

PSN: SeanWhitmore

Switch: SW-7452-6932-0513

3DS: 0490-6399-8582

I did a new video thing:
https://www.allspark.com/forums/topic/159447-whos-the-right-arm/

#443 AgentOrange

AgentOrange
  • Citizen
  • 1225 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 24 April 2019 - 08:30 PM

Just read the spoilers for Heroes in Crisis.

I can remember a version of myself who would have been real mad at this. Nowadays, I kinda just feel bad for everyone that's still in the game, spending their hard-earned dough on stuff like this.

(I mean, I guess someone out there will be happy looking back at the $36 they paid for this story. And hey, bless their hearts.)

I still have a hard time reconciling this and Vision coming from the same pen, but there we go.

If Geoff's Watchmen masturbatory fantasy had actually been on schedule we probably wouldn't have this. We'd also probably have a Legion. And a Justice Society. But hey, Rorschach and Batman right?
LOOKDOWN.png

#444 Sean Whitmore

Sean Whitmore
  • Citizen
  • 8037 posts

Posted 24 April 2019 - 08:44 PM

I still have a hard time reconciling this and Vision coming from the same pen, but there we go.

Looking back on it, the signs were there.

I was never a Runaways guy, but if I was, I might have felt a certain way about taking one of the leads of that book, making him part of a sketchy (and kinda OOC for the Avengers) spy operation, giving him a heretofore unknown drug habit, having him kill a little kid, having Vision fight his way through the Avengers for the opportunity to kill him back, and finally killing him off.

Edited by Sean Whitmore, 24 April 2019 - 08:45 PM.

I did a new video thing:

#445 Jenny

Jenny
  • Citizen
  • 22958 posts

Posted 24 April 2019 - 08:50 PM

Identity Crisis 2: Electric Boogaloo

staring dog stares

doggie_zpsafvtedef.png

#446 Cattleprod

Cattleprod
  • Citizen
  • 2338 posts
  • Faction::Decepticon

Posted 25 April 2019 - 12:39 PM

So weird to see the outrage. Like I mentioned before, Rebirth Wally never registered as the same character Mark Waid wrote, so to me it's just an imposter being taken down a peg.

#447 ZacWilliam1

ZacWilliam1
  • Citizen
  • 17333 posts

Posted 04 May 2019 - 01:03 PM

Snagged War of Realms #3 when I was at the store for Free Comic Book Day this morning. It remains a really fun and well written and clearly well planned Event series. I have not been reading the years of Thor that built up to this and I'm understanding and enjoying it a lot. Recommended.

-ZacWilliam, also enjoyed the Avengers FCBD issue which is a preview of where the book will be going when War ends.

#448 HellCat

HellCat

Opinionated idiot

• Citizen
  • 28684 posts

Posted 04 May 2019 - 01:17 PM

Randomly posting because I'm still not sure why I bought the most recent run of West Coast Avengers.

#449 Broadside

Broadside

SHARK PET DOG! SHARK PET DOG!

• Staff
  • 11023 posts
  • Faction::Cannonball's Pirate Crew

Posted 04 May 2019 - 09:05 PM

Tom King's Vision mostly got acclaim because it was an Oscar-bait movie in comic form. In retrospect it wasn't that great.

3nAcIwa.png

#450 Jenny

Jenny
  • Citizen
  • 22958 posts

Posted 05 May 2019 - 09:12 AM

It broke new ground by showing the neighborhood weirdness that DC/Vertigo had done back in the 90's.

staring dog stares

doggie_zpsafvtedef.png

#451 Zillatron

Zillatron

Lord of the Energon Harvest

• Citizen
  • 6333 posts
  • Faction::Unicron's Spawn

Posted 05 May 2019 - 09:18 AM

The fact that they killed

Spoiler
make me feel good about ignoring the X-Books right now.

Well, Art is Art, isn't it? Still, on the other hand, water is water. And east is east and west is west and if you take cranberries and stew them like applesauce they taste much more like prunes than rhubarb does. Now you tell me what you know.

Groucho Marx

#452 Daith

Daith

My Nyah brings all the girls to the yard

• Supporter
  • 9159 posts

Posted 05 May 2019 - 01:39 PM

Oh no they killed a character..... theyll be back the next time some other writer wants to use them.

I guess the how they killed the character has a group of transgender rights people up in arms about it. While I kinda get the why it could rub them the wrong way its like they have no idea what the X-Men comics have dealt with in their entire run. Bigotry and fear of the different have been the biggest social fight of the franchise.

But then again another group of fans are just angry that a hand to hand combatant like the character in question got taken out by a bunch of drunk teenagers.

But then there is the post Age of X-man fallout that has the majority of the X-Men most likely returning to find how much shit happened while they were dead and that Cyclops and Wolverine are somehow also got revived and are running the X-mens name into the ground.

Edited by Daith, 05 May 2019 - 01:44 PM.

#453 ZacWilliam1

ZacWilliam1
  • Citizen
  • 17333 posts

Posted 05 May 2019 - 03:50 PM

I guess the how they killed the character has a group of transgender rights people up in arms about it. While I kinda get the why it could rub them the wrong way its like they have no idea what the X-Men comics have dealt with in their entire run. Bigotry and fear of the different have been the biggest social fight of the franchise.

That doesn't really express the complaints that I've heard. In fact one of the "Trans rights" people I've seen most involved co-runs one of, if not THE, most well know History of the X-men podcasts out there and has actually been drawn as a character in X-books. These people absolutely know what the metaphor is.

As I understand it the problem is largely that the death involves very clear representation of anti-Trans bigotry and violence but the X-men have not ever actually featured any Trans characters. I've heard it expressed as something like "using Trans pain and suffering without being willing to actually represent those whose pain they are co-opting for drama."

-ZacWilliam, as I understand it at least I'm sure others could explain better.

Edited by ZacWilliam1, 05 May 2019 - 04:05 PM.

#454 Maruten

Maruten
  • Staff
  • 7269 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 05 May 2019 - 07:01 PM

Hadn't heard anything about that. Definitely seems like it was not handled well.

https://www.themarys...rg-trans-panic/

WsuGTl1.jpg

#455 Daith

Daith

My Nyah brings all the girls to the yard

• Supporter
  • 9159 posts

Posted 06 May 2019 - 01:43 AM

See I kinda get what's being said but this is one time where I think people could be reading into it a tad more than it was meant to be. The character involved does have a transformational state that is true which may have unintentionally made the situation and language a bit closer to home for Trans people. I don't believe the author actually intended for the situation to have quite hit the mark that it did. I mean the book has been trying to stress the Mutant divide all the more recently and that's pretty much what was trying to be shown as the trigger to the violence. The fact that it could read as something similar to anti trans violence is unfortunate. But I can't say one way or the other for sure. All I do know is it fits squarely into the story being told for the moment. This hasn't been the first time a situation like this has popped up with the X-men but  I do feel more people are having an easier time identifying with it.

#456 CORVUS

CORVUS

Everyone has secrets.

• Supporter
  • 32894 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 06 May 2019 - 01:29 PM

Regardless of authorial intent, it was ham-fisted at best, and there was no need to invoke aspects of transphobia into an already well-established history of plain old anti-mutant hysteria.

Furthermore, the idea that Rhane Sinclair would decline to defend herself is a ridiculous insult to her character.

So yeah, screw that bullshit.
“She went around with the attitude that she would rather be beaten to death than take any shit.” - Stieg Larsson

#457 Sean Whitmore

Sean Whitmore
  • Citizen
  • 8037 posts

Posted 06 May 2019 - 06:40 PM

Can't speak towards the trans-sploitation issue, but the crappy character/story beats I'm hearing about are not surprising. Rosenberg's stint on Astonishing X-Men certainly didn't read like the resume for a X-writer I was liable to enjoy.

I did a new video thing:

#458 Rust

Rust

Slightly Off

• Supporter
  • 46496 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 06 May 2019 - 06:49 PM

The transphobia was the shit cherry on top of the turd sundae no doubt, but I think what's getting lost in all this is the fact people are outraged a long standing character with decades of history was just casually fridged once again in Comics.

Yes, Death has no real permanence (To the point I recall a JLA Morrison run where this issue got lampooned by the fact so few people turned out for Metamorpho's funeral) but I think the remaining reader base for comics are just getting tired of the callous and casual use of death as a way of removing a character a particular writer doesn't feel comfortable/want to write.

I mean, when's the last time a character got on a bus and went some place for a extended vacation? Or won a contest trip? Or just decided they needed some down time?

Death has become so overused in the medium.

#459 AgentOrange

AgentOrange
  • Citizen
  • 1225 posts

Posted 06 May 2019 - 07:05 PM

Regardless of authorial intent, it was ham-fisted at best, and there was no need to invoke aspects of transphobia into an already well-established history of plain old anti-mutant hysteria.

Furthermore, the idea that Rhane Sinclair would decline to defend herself is a ridiculous insult to her character.

So yeah, screw that bullshit.

I'll take declining to defend herself over sleeping with her student and lying to Dani about it. Or vomiting out babies and abandoning them. Or eating her father.
LOOKDOWN.png

#460 D Immortalis

D Immortalis

I've gotta make the world know my name...

• Citizen
  • 3762 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 07 May 2019 - 12:32 AM

Randomly posting because I'm still not sure why I bought the most recent run of West Coast Avengers.

because it was SO MUCH FUN??!

hawkeyes, and quire and gwenpool...and shark things...and BRODOK...and just..i loved every moment of this book.

_+-=-+DAEMON IMMORTALIS+-=-+_

Day One is over, The Future's approaching
The embers are glowing, we're spreading the ash

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users