Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  TM2-Megatron : (14 November 2019 - 03:55 PM)

Admittedly, it's been a long time since I've been to a walk-in clinic, as I tend not to get sick (and the one time I do every 4-5 years, I prefer just riding it out at home), but the last time I went I'm pretty sure you could just show up, no appointment. It may be different in Quebec,though

@  Nevermore : (14 November 2019 - 02:36 PM)

One thing to note about health insurance in Germany is that we have a two-class system: mandatory health insurance is basically the economy class, while private health insurance is the business class.

@  Nevermore : (14 November 2019 - 02:32 PM)

My local doctor is actually a shared office with several doctors where you will get randomly assigned to one of the doctors available that day.

@  Nevermore : (14 November 2019 - 02:30 PM)

Also, employers are required by law to cover part of their employees' health insurance fees, so I only have to pay my part.

@  Nevermore : (14 November 2019 - 02:28 PM)

Basic examinations and sick notes (known as "work-inability certificates" in Germany) for the employer are covered by our health insurances by default.

@  TheMightyMol... : (14 November 2019 - 12:02 PM)

Around here, we can go to a walk-in clinic whenever, but might have to wait in the queue until there's a doctor available, which can take hours on a busy day. And then hope our insurance will cover anything.

@  wonko the sane? : (14 November 2019 - 07:38 AM)

There actually are a good number of clinics around here: but the walk ins require an appointment (what?) and are only done once a week. IF you can get an appointment, you see a doctor usually within 40 minutes, but good luck getting the appointment.

@  Nevermore : (14 November 2019 - 03:35 AM)

Depending on the day.

@  Nevermore : (14 November 2019 - 03:35 AM)

We have family doctors (called "house doctors") with regular office hours where you may need an hour or two of waiting time.

@  TM2-Megatron : (14 November 2019 - 12:50 AM)

Two weeks? That seems a little long; are there not a lot of walk-in clinics around you?

@  wonko the sane? : (13 November 2019 - 07:01 PM)

Does germany make it quick and easy to see a doctor too? Cause an emergency doctor visit can take two weeks out here, and an emergency ROOM visit can take 18-24 hours.

@  Nevermore : (13 November 2019 - 06:43 PM)

(Good thing is, under German law, if you call in sick during your vacation and see a doctor immediately, you get to keep your vacation days.)

@  Nevermore : (13 November 2019 - 06:42 PM)

Too bad. My plans wee to do two more overtime hours before having my last day of vacation for the year on Friday. Oh well.

@  Nevermore : (13 November 2019 - 06:41 PM)

So I'm currently on medical leave for a particularly stupid reason: Burned my back with a hot-water bag while sleeping last night. Though the doctor said I'm hardly the first person to have this happen to them.

@  Patch : (13 November 2019 - 06:11 PM)

Just a particularly odious example of the 90s era of depicting transgender women as either the subject of crude humor, or "Jerry Springer" material.

@  Ashley : (13 November 2019 - 04:55 PM)

I think Ace Ventura legit contributed to me spending years in self denial. I will never be ok with Jim Carrey.

@  Benbot : (13 November 2019 - 01:22 PM)

I thought he since changed his tune.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (13 November 2019 - 12:51 PM)

Jim Carry Paladin?

@  Maximus Ambus : (13 November 2019 - 12:22 PM)

Don't doubt what he can do. Sonic the Hedgehog!

@  Paladin : (13 November 2019 - 11:51 AM)

not giving a dime to a transphobic antivaxxer.

@  wonko the sane? : (13 November 2019 - 11:25 AM)

It'll be a terrible movie if jim carrey phones it in. Otherwise it should be decent.

@  Paladin : (13 November 2019 - 10:45 AM)

sonics' still gonna be a terrible movie but at least they whined loud enough to make him look passable for a 2-minute trailer. "yay."

@  ▲ndrusi : (13 November 2019 - 10:37 AM)

But of course to annoying people there's no such thing as different decisions made for different reasons, there is only "I like it so it's right" and "I don't like it so it's wrong."

@  ▲ndrusi : (13 November 2019 - 10:35 AM)

Even if we pretend it's objective truth that they were both bad, then they were bad in very different ways.

@  ▲ndrusi : (13 November 2019 - 10:33 AM)

Sonic's previous movie design looked genuinely bad. The Transformers '07 designs just looked insufficiently like what certain loud and obnoxious parts of the fandom think Transformers are required to always look like.

@  Otaku : (13 November 2019 - 08:50 AM)

Um... Purple Monkey Dishwasher?

@  TheMightyMol... : (13 November 2019 - 08:25 AM)

Do we really need to have Every Movie Transformer Thread Ever in the Squawkbox?

@  Bass X0 : (13 November 2019 - 08:13 AM)

Sure it made money but that doesn’t mean it has appealing character designs. Lot of god awful fugly faces in the Transformers movies.

@  Otaku : (12 November 2019 - 08:25 PM)

@Liege My issue with Transformers (2007) were elements I thought were unnecessary.  I know it was supposed to just be a joke, but I didn't ever need to hear about "Sam's Happy Time". >.> Which, being in awe of the first "live action" TF-film, didn't even register until I'd already purchased and watched it on DVD a few times (after seeing it in theaters 3 times).

@  Liege : (12 November 2019 - 08:22 PM)

For all the Bayisms in the 07 movie, it was tempered by Spielberg as producer. Designs aside it was an enjoyable popcorn blockbuster about a boy and his first car who happens to be an alien from another planet. They sequels are just Bay going unchecked after he proved how much bank he could bring in.

@  TM2-Megatron : (12 November 2019 - 07:12 PM)

I didn't find the designs in the '07 movie to be that bad, personally. What got really offputting was how Cybertronians in general become such huge a-holes in the later films; the designs were very much secondary to their horrible personalities

@  Sabrblade : (12 November 2019 - 06:59 PM)

And yet, Transformers still broke the bank at the box office, opened up the brand to a whole new generation of fans, shot the brand up to mainstream appeal, and enabled all kinds of new collector-oriented lines and other avenues to come about. Not saying Sonic's movie will do the same for his series, but the 2007 TF movie certainly did more good than harm.

@  Bass X0 : (12 November 2019 - 06:09 PM)

Paramount changed Sonic due to fan backlash but refused to redo Transformers 2007 with new cgi appearances based on their classic forms everyone’s knows and loves, and can relate to. Trailer 1 Sonic is as appealing a design as 2007 Bumblebee...

@  TheMightyMol... : (12 November 2019 - 02:14 PM)

I don't. They're a pain in the ass to repair.

@  Benbot : (12 November 2019 - 12:48 PM)

I wish car companies would bring back flip up headlights

@  TheMightyMol... : (12 November 2019 - 09:07 AM)

Wear a hazmat suit. It's Walmart, they're used to weird.

@  wonko the sane? : (12 November 2019 - 07:54 AM)

2 inches of snow on the side of the house, 2 feet of snow on the deck. I hate this winter already.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (11 November 2019 - 11:33 PM)

But that requires actually going IN walmart. ;P

@  Liege : (11 November 2019 - 11:22 PM)

Pro tip for anyone hunting the for the Walmart 35th exclusives: try the seasonal aisles rather than the toy section. I found the display with all the exclusives and a bunch of the reflector wave practically untouched amongst those novelty arcade machines and a bunch of frozen merch.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (11 November 2019 - 09:45 PM)

Although that does spark an idea for me. In a new continuity, Censere the Necrobot could be the herald Cityspeaker for Quintessa the Necrotitan just to play on their monikers utilizing Greek for dead, nekrós.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (11 November 2019 - 09:26 PM)

I hate to burst your bubble, Maximus Ambus, but 90% of things said in IDW turned out to be amnesiac half-rememberings courtesy of Adaptus or outright lies courtesy of Shockwave.

@  Jenny : (11 November 2019 - 08:54 AM)

The toy's designed to look like Wipe-Out, anyway.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (11 November 2019 - 08:14 AM)

Didn't they try to retcon that into a figure of speech because that connection went against everybody else's long-term plans?

@  Maximus Ambus : (11 November 2019 - 03:53 AM)

There's still some connection given Trypticon was created by Mortilus.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (11 November 2019 - 12:12 AM)

Yeah that toy doesn't exactly look like Necrobot.

@  Sabrblade : (10 November 2019 - 08:24 PM)

But.... it's just "Necro" not "Necrobot".

@  TheMightyMol... : (10 November 2019 - 05:10 PM)

But why does the God of Death need a giant space kaiju? Wait, never mind, answered my own question.

@  Maximus Ambus : (10 November 2019 - 02:15 PM)

Yowza I just realised Titans Trypticon comes with Necro AKA Censere AKA Mortilus.

@  Nevermore : (10 November 2019 - 01:15 PM)

I... think the best equivalent would actually be the British "There is room for improvement".

@  Nevermore : (10 November 2019 - 01:15 PM)

There's always a sense of irony to it, but what the ratio between irony (you really failed) and straightworwardness (at least you achieved something) is depends on the situation and the speaker.

Photo

The Absolute State of Marvel (and DC) - Superman gets thoroughly Bendised

516 replies to this topic

#421 Rust

Rust

Slightly Off

• Supporter
  • 46502 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 20 January 2019 - 06:21 PM

It may make sense for the story, but in my 35 years on this Earth, I've seen far, far too many of the characters I grew up with turn into raving lunatic villains for me to tolerate the idea in the slightest any longer. Bad enough what they did to Phil Urich, I'm not going to have Ben defaced after being pretty much the one bright spot in late 90s Spider comics. Especially not when he was bringing levity in the "I AM THE SPIDER!" era where Peter was competing with flipping BATMAN for psychotic pathos.

#422 Jenny

Jenny
  • Citizen
  • 22960 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 20 January 2019 - 06:42 PM

I really don't care what's going on in any books aside from Immortal Hulk and The Green Lantern. Never thought I'd say that for the latter, but here we are.

staring dog stares

doggie_zpsafvtedef.png

#423 Sean Whitmore

Sean Whitmore
  • Citizen
  • 8037 posts

Posted 20 January 2019 - 07:35 PM

I echo not being fond of Ben's return. It wasn't bullshit HOW he was turned into a bad guy, it was bullshit THAT he was turned into a bad guy.

And Peter David's followup series of high-school-level ruminations about the nature of good and evil didn't come close to justifying it.

PSN: SeanWhitmore

Switch: SW-7452-6932-0513

3DS: 0490-6399-8582

I did a new video thing:
https://www.allspark.com/forums/topic/159447-whos-the-right-arm/

#424 AgentOrange

AgentOrange
  • Citizen
  • 1227 posts

Posted 20 January 2019 - 07:46 PM

I echo not being fond of Ben's return. It wasn't bullshit HOW he was turned into a bad guy, it was bullshit THAT he was turned into a bad guy.

And Peter David's followup series of high-school-level ruminations about the nature of good and evil didn't come close to justifying it.

PAD should have quit at least a decade ago but I guess when you owe that much in back taxes you need to scrape and beg as much as you can.
LOOKDOWN.png

#425 D Immortalis

D Immortalis

I've gotta make the world know my name...

• Citizen
  • 3763 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 20 January 2019 - 07:49 PM

yeah, i mean, i love PAD the man, but watchng him just write for a paycheck is terrible...on the other hand, watching him eat a bag of chips at a con is gold...so it balances out.

_+-=-+DAEMON IMMORTALIS+-=-+_

Day One is over, The Future's approaching
The embers are glowing, we're spreading the ash

#426 Sean Whitmore

Sean Whitmore
  • Citizen
  • 8037 posts

Posted 20 January 2019 - 07:55 PM

I loved his stuff enough while growing up that I'll never begrudge PAD any work, but I have become a lot more selective about purchasing it.

I did a new video thing:

#427 CORVUS

CORVUS

Everyone has secrets.

• Supporter
  • 32896 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 20 January 2019 - 08:26 PM

Being blunt - I gave up on comics completely when they decided to bring back Ben Reilly...and make him the friggen Jackal.

I've he never given up on them 100%, largely because there's good stuff going on outside of Marvel and DC. But yeah, I can totally understand that.

The one-two punches of "Civil War" and "Infinite Crisis" are what really soured me on the big two.
“She went around with the attitude that she would rather be beaten to death than take any shit.” - Stieg Larsson

#428 Sean Whitmore

Sean Whitmore
  • Citizen
  • 8037 posts

Posted 20 January 2019 - 10:34 PM

Theres different degrees of giving up, and Im kinda in between them.

Im always gonna be at least a little curious about whats going on with Spider-Man, Superman, the X-Men, etc. Thanks to switching to digital comics, and thanks to Comixology and Amazon sales, it takes fairly little effort to check in from time to time,

But a real, emotional connection to ongoing comics continuity? Gone for a long, long time. Spider-Man never won me back after the Clone Saga. DC lost me completely with the New 52 (after mostly losing me with Infinite Crisis). X-Men, I cant pin it down to any specific story, but it probably wasnt long after Onslaught (Morrison briefly made me care again with the promise of a new direction, but that only lasted for as long as his run did).

I can still occasionally really enjoy a story or a run, but its almost academic at this point. Theres none of that extra emotional weight I used to get from reading the main book versus an out-of-continuity mini series.

Edited by Sean Whitmore, 20 January 2019 - 10:42 PM.

I did a new video thing:

#429 Rust

Rust

Slightly Off

• Supporter
  • 46502 posts

Posted 21 January 2019 - 05:45 AM

Being blunt - I gave up on comics completely when they decided to bring back Ben Reilly...and make him the friggen Jackal.

I've he never given up on them 100%, largely because there's good stuff going on outside of Marvel and DC. But yeah, I can totally understand that.

That's fair. I need to stop looking at Marvel and DC as the lump sum of the comics industry. But the big two still shape the industry, and the fact of the matter is neither have been doing a great deal to impress. Marvel often feels like it's going out of its way to spoil my childhood and DC reboots itself every other year so it's hard to really care there.

And both of them have a sudden obsession with getting as many people as possible using a single moniker.

#430 ZacWilliam1

ZacWilliam1
  • Citizen
  • 17339 posts
  • Faction::RIRFIB

Posted 21 January 2019 - 05:57 AM

My limiter is funds. Both because of comics rising prices and my changing life. In High School and College I had $10 to $20 for books a week and bought the majority of what Marvel put out and some of DC. Something like 6 to 12 or more books a week sometimes. When I started you could get a lot of books for a little funds. Comics prices have raised a rediculous amount while not offering more content and I've picked up a Wife, three kids, a house, 3 dogs and more.

If I won the lottery tomorrow I'd probably go back to buying a lot of comics, as is I generally get 3-4ish a month, leaning towards books I can share with the kids when/if I can find time to get over to the store.

ZacWilliam, What those are varies. Right now Champions is wonderful, Sleepwalker just finished. Squirrel Girl and Moon Girl remain fun comics. Unbeatable Wasp is great and my 4year old daughter Loves the new Rainbow Bright.

Edited by ZacWilliam1, 21 January 2019 - 08:16 AM.

Ever wonder about the speed of Turbofoxes?
Or the proverbial ailerons of Titanium Moosebots?

*Visit the one and only Cybertronic Bestiary.
For a mechazoologic tour of the mechanimals of Cybertron.

#431 Daith

Daith

My Nyah brings all the girls to the yard

• Supporter
  • 9161 posts

Posted 21 January 2019 - 02:31 PM

At this point Kaine is almost the better Scarlet Spider now. Sadly Otto has taken their slot in the Spider books now. Actually post Geddon Im sad to see Marvel canned Renew Your Vows as well.

Granted both RYV and Bens book were not quite my favorite stories in recent years but I still want the Pete and MJ marriage to be a thing again in the mainline, and Ben had some crazy things going on in Vegas.

And with Exiles again getting canned after finding some footing it looks like my best bet for Multiversal hopping adventure is down to Ghost Spider who is trying to stay in her home dimension. Granted that still can be fun alt shenanigans compared to the 616, but I was hoping for a Spider-Girls continuation, especially after Mayday and Annie connected with each other in Geddon.
At this point Kaine is almost the better Scarlet Spider now. Sadly Otto has taken their slot in the Spider books now. Actually post Geddon Im sad to see Marvel canned Renew Your Vows as well.

Granted both RYV and Bens book were not quite my favorite stories in recent years but I still want the Pete and MJ marriage to be a thing again in the mainline, and Ben had some crazy things going on in Vegas.

And with Exiles again getting canned after finding some footing it looks like my best bet for Multiversal hopping adventure is down to Ghost Spider who is trying to stay in her home dimension. Granted that still can be fun alt shenanigans compared to the 616, but I was hoping for a Spider-Girls continuation, especially after Mayday and Annie connected with each other in Geddon.

#432 The Magic Man

The Magic Man
  • Citizen
  • 1703 posts

Posted 26 January 2019 - 08:25 PM

I really don't care what's going on in any books aside from Immortal Hulk and The Green Lantern. Never thought I'd say that for the latter, but here we are.

Same. But this is actually the most I'm reading in years. They were just so my shit/genuinley good that I got dragged back.

I knew I was going to be a mark for Hulk since Ewing went on an interview and kept talking about Hulk's ability to see ghosts.

I'll probably start reading the Superman books again when I'm 100% sure that Jon will be returned to his normal age/the next trade comes out.

#433 bigbot69

bigbot69

Back and slightly less angry...kinda

• Citizen
  • 1397 posts

Posted 27 January 2019 - 06:43 AM

I picked up issue 1 of Man Without Fear

then 2, 3 and 4

That's a brilliant comic. Giving us a good character with deep moments as they recover from major trauma, as well as developing the consequences of a superhero life.

It's a Newcomic (apparently)

#434 Maruten

Maruten
  • Staff
  • 7276 posts

Posted 13 February 2019 - 06:48 PM

Really enjoyed Wonder Twins #1. If we couldn't have an Extreme Justice revival, this seems like the next best thing. 

47uHf9h.png

WsuGTl1.jpg

#435 LiamA

LiamA
  • Citizen
  • 3229 posts

Posted 14 February 2019 - 06:19 PM

Really enjoyed Wonder Twins #1. If we couldn't have an Extreme Justice revival, this seems like the next best thing. 

47uHf9h.png

Mazel Tov.

#436 Maruten

Maruten
  • Staff
  • 7276 posts

Posted 27 March 2019 - 11:59 PM

Really enjoyed Sam Humphries and Joe Quinones' new Dial H. Had heard some stuff about it being... cool in special ways, or special in cool ways... and I wasn't disappointed. It feels like one of those books that might turn out to be really something great, but if I talk it up I'll wreck it, so... we'll just stick with "I liked it a lot". One of those rare books that makes me think Comixology doesn't do it justice and I'll have to grab the trade later as well. 

These Bendis-free books in the Bendis imprint are turning out to be pretty solid.

Edit: also this.

Spoiler

Other edit: for anyone put off by the art in those images, I should clarify that's not what the book looks like, that's the gimmick.

https://www.kotaku.c...-hero-relaunch/

And one of the angles Joe has taken with this book is that when a character on the page dials the H Dial, and when they transform, the comic itself transforms as well. The reading experience becomes transformed by the H Dial, and weve seen that in the first issue when Miguel turns into Monster Truck.

And Joes art style has changed, Jordans colouring has changed, the lettering has changed, the caption style has changed, the narration has changed, the action has changed, the storytelling has changed...its like the H Dial has actually morphed the comic book thats physically in your hands.

And this first issue, Monster Truck is going to be the most low key example of what were doing, and in issue two, we take that concept to the next level. In issue three, we take it to the next level. And so on and so forth.

Maybe that escalation will make the book go off the rails, or maybe it will be awesome. I'm keen to find out.

Edited by Maruten, 28 March 2019 - 02:47 AM.

WsuGTl1.jpg

#437 Internet Jesus

Internet Jesus

And this is the way the world ends.

• Citizen
  • 22351 posts
  • Faction::Lesbian Ninja

Posted 30 March 2019 - 04:24 AM

Heroes in Crisis is still making me dislike Tom King. Vision was good. Omega Men was good. This...with Wally West most likely being the Sanctuary murderer after bringing him back in Rebirth?

This is bullshit.

But in the current, digitized world, trivial information is accumulating every second, preserved in all its triteness. Never fading, always accessible. Rumors about petty issues, misinterpretations, slander... All this junk data preserved in an unfiltered state, growing at an alarming rate. It will only slow down social progress, reduce the rate of evolution. You seem to think that our plan is one of censorship. What we propose to do is not to control content, but to create context.

#438 ZacWilliam1

ZacWilliam1
  • Citizen
  • 17339 posts
  • Faction::RIRFIB

Posted 30 March 2019 - 10:15 AM

Havn't been reading it and it does indeed sound pretty bad from all I've heard, but it also sounds a lot like it's all built on some "twist" they havnt got to yet, so honestly I'm very doubtful actual Wally had anything to do with it.

-ZacWilliam, also still mostly expecting most of the dead folks, especially anyone of any import will end up "not dead" by the end.

Edited by ZacWilliam1, 30 March 2019 - 10:15 AM.

Ever wonder about the speed of Turbofoxes?
Or the proverbial ailerons of Titanium Moosebots?

*Visit the one and only Cybertronic Bestiary.
For a mechazoologic tour of the mechanimals of Cybertron.

#439 Cattleprod

Cattleprod
  • Citizen
  • 2338 posts
  • Faction::Decepticon

Posted 30 March 2019 - 01:00 PM

Wally was always 'my' Flash but I hated how Rebirth handled his return and the nonsensical retcon that the 'other' Wally was Daniel West's son. Rebirth Wally has only ever registered as some weird imposter to me so I say go for it.

I also needed my fainting couch for the totally unforeseen revelation that Poison Ivy wasn't actually dead. So shocking. Never would I have predicted that a character with borderline magical regeneration abilities and whose body we never even saw didn't die. I couldn't believe that anyone thought she was even meant to be dead within this story, let alone that she'd be dead forever even if she was.

#440 ZakuConvoy

ZakuConvoy
  • Citizen
  • 555 posts

Posted 30 March 2019 - 05:23 PM

Heroes in Crisis is still making me dislike Tom King. Vision was good. Omega Men was good. This...with Wally West most likely being the Sanctuary murderer after bringing him back in Rebirth?

This is bullshit.

I've found that I seem to like one out of every two series that Tom King does.  Omega Men didn't do anything for me, but I liked the Vision.  His Batman (the wedding fakeout especially) I disliked, but I thought his Miracle Man worked.  

So...I guess whatever series he does AFTER Heroes in Crisis, I'll probably end up liking?  I'm trying very hard to just ignore Heroes in Crisis.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users