Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  ZakuConvoy : (21 January 2021 - 03:15 PM)

*walks out on stage* Umm, I don't know how to tell everyone this, but Conway Twitty's been dead for nearly 30 years, now. So...*dances awkwardly as distraction*

@  tigerhawk : (21 January 2021 - 10:47 AM)

uh oh we need a distraction, ladies and gentlemen Conway Twitty.

@  wonko the sane? : (21 January 2021 - 10:20 AM)

*screaming internally*

@  -LittleAutob... : (21 January 2021 - 09:46 AM)

Everything is f i n e

@  TheMightyMol... : (21 January 2021 - 08:30 AM)

Everything's okay until it isn't. That's life.

@  wonko the sane? : (21 January 2021 - 08:12 AM)

Oh my god... I forgot entirely about yellowstone.

@  tigerhawk : (21 January 2021 - 03:32 AM)

Until the third civil war. Or yellowstone, whatever's good.

@  Nevermore : (20 January 2021 - 06:01 PM)

That's not true. An adult man is in control of the White House now.

@  repowers : (19 January 2021 - 03:18 PM)

Everything's out of control.

@  -LittleAutob... : (19 January 2021 - 09:51 AM)

*cough* w h a t?

@  Donocropolis : (19 January 2021 - 09:48 AM)

Cause your friends don't dance, and if they don't dance they ain't no friends of mine

@  TheMightyMol... : (19 January 2021 - 08:52 AM)

You could leave your friends behind.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (18 January 2021 - 09:43 PM)

You could if you really wanted to.

@  -LittleAutob... : (18 January 2021 - 01:35 PM)

Nadie puede decir algo diferente >:D

@  -LittleAutob... : (18 January 2021 - 01:35 PM)

......... all wounds heal through God. *walks off*

@  TheMightyMol... : (18 January 2021 - 01:01 PM)

Let me know when the WEAPONs wake up.

@  tigerhawk : (18 January 2021 - 05:18 AM)

Or is the wound the Earth healing.

@  unluckiness : (18 January 2021 - 03:32 AM)

Healing is just destroying the wound

@  PlutoniumBoss : (17 January 2021 - 06:08 PM)

But eventually destroys everything.

@  tigerhawk : (17 January 2021 - 05:03 PM)

Heals many wounds

@  PlutoniumBoss : (17 January 2021 - 02:03 PM)

Time.

@  wonko the sane? : (17 January 2021 - 07:53 AM)

I dunno, maybe. I'm not clairvoyant either...

@  Nevermore : (17 January 2021 - 04:30 AM)

Covid?

@  wonko the sane? : (16 January 2021 - 09:50 PM)

At this point, if I'm going to die then it won't be the wait what killed me. It didn't help any, mind you, but it's not what got me.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (16 January 2021 - 09:37 PM)

Technically we are all literally dying to play with our next figure.

@  wonko the sane? : (16 January 2021 - 05:36 PM)

I am figuratively dying to play with that cheetor.

@  wonko the sane? : (16 January 2021 - 04:39 PM)

Still waiting for my box from BBTS to arrive.

@  tigerhawk : (16 January 2021 - 04:29 PM)

Kingdoms is fantabulous and it's only the first wave.

@  tigerhawk : (12 January 2021 - 12:10 PM)

My Super Collection Megatron always had two left legs and I just discovered my Thrilling 30 Crosscut has two right hips.

@  Nevermore : (11 January 2021 - 07:56 PM)

Fortunately, it's only Netflix Hound, so not really much of a loss here.

@  Nevermore : (11 January 2021 - 07:55 PM)

So it's been a while since I've had a misassembled Transformers toy.

@  Echowarrior : (11 January 2021 - 10:02 AM)

More Micromasters would be welcome.

@  TheMightyMol... : (11 January 2021 - 06:15 AM)

Instructions unclear, have more sports cars.

@  tigerhawk : (11 January 2021 - 01:57 AM)

Or they could make the other Micromasters of the teams they half assed.

@  ▲ndrusi : (10 January 2021 - 11:20 PM)

There should be a box set of eight Stakeouts.

@  Bass X0 : (10 January 2021 - 08:27 PM)

There should be a box-set of Thrust, Dirge and Ramjet. But I'm not expecting it.

@  Nevermore : (10 January 2021 - 07:51 PM)

I hope there are re-releases this year!

@  tigerhawk : (10 January 2021 - 03:59 PM)

I hope there's rereleases of Earthrise Ramjet, Dirge and Ratchet next year.

@  wonko the sane? : (08 January 2021 - 07:51 AM)

Oh no, he was loved. I'd argue he could have had a better life physically, but he was loved. Deeply.

@  Telly : (08 January 2021 - 01:42 AM)

as long s/he gave love and was loved, it was a good life

@  Echowarrior : (07 January 2021 - 11:10 PM)

Poor puppy. Poor kid.

@  CORVUS : (07 January 2021 - 03:04 PM)

My condolences :(

@  wonko the sane? : (07 January 2021 - 10:45 AM)

So: My sisters dog just had a heart attack and died... while her 12 year old son was walking him. Welcome to 2021 everybody!

@  Dekafox : (04 January 2021 - 07:24 PM)

Except they're Deceptican'ts usually.

@  Devcon : (04 January 2021 - 05:17 PM)

Depending on which dub: Either Decepticons or Decepticans.

@  Bass X0 : (04 January 2021 - 05:03 PM)

Deception is the French word for disappointment. What does that make the Decepticons in France?

@  Echowarrior : (03 January 2021 - 11:29 PM)

We're just tiny little specks, about the size of Mickey Rooney.

@  TheMightyMol... : (03 January 2021 - 04:33 PM)

It's a great big universe, and we're all really puny.

@  Rycochet : (03 January 2021 - 01:30 PM)

That's orbiting at nineteen miles a second, so it's reckoned, a sun that is the source of all our power

@  Rycochet : (03 January 2021 - 01:30 PM)

Just remember that you're standing on a planet that's evolving and revolving at nine hundred miles an hour.

Photo

Rise of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles

143 replies to this topic

#101 lastmaximal

lastmaximal

Cyber Key Power...linx!

• Staff
  • 14734 posts
  • Faction::Minicon

Posted 03 March 2019 - 03:50 PM

Got around to binge-watching a solid ten or so episodes (or pairs of episodes, as it were) with my brother, and it was a blast.

The comic timing and delivery in this is GREAT, and the jokes never really feel old. The pace, whether for jokes or action, is fast but enjoyable. 

Really, the sooner you leave ANY expectations for classic Turtles stuff at the door, the happier you'll be with this show, because so far it isn't trying to be anything like that. The aesthetic takes getting used to, but it really makes the best of the individualization in design introduced by the recent live-action movies, with beefy Raph and tech-gear-toting Don and such. Splinter is even more of a non-factor than I thought, but I find I'm okay with that.

It's right-feeling but wholly different -- the kind of vibe you want to get from a new series, albeit more broad-strokes than people were probably expecting. Really, the only thing remaining from anything before it is "they live in a sewer with Splinter" and "they are friends with one human who knows they exist," and some characterization (mostly Donatello). The villains are new, the origin is new (or so they've hinted), and the dynamics are refreshed. I think my interest in the Raph/Leo angst peaked with the 2007 theatrical film, which handled it REALLY well, and the occasional nods to it in the previous Nickelodeon series were good. More than ready for other stories to be told with these two.

My first reaction to the initial releases were "Wolverine and the X-Men, but with TMNT", but I haven't really felt any familiar "leader" reliance on Raph aside from occasional "fearless leader" quips. Part of that is because Raph is clearly also figuring this stuff out, and part of that is that the four really have a good balance of screen time and dialogue among them so no one's really driving. 

I wasn't paying attention during the 2003 show, and as such other than the Obvious Childhood Fondness I have for the 80s show the 2012 one has been my favorite. But this is definitely up there. Worthwhile as a part of the whole tapestry, if one of the more-insular shows (and really, I kind of had my fill of "alternate universe" cameos with the previous show, no hurry to go back to that well). I think much of this is that the 2012 series hit most of the buttons I wanted, the way I wanted -- a reasonably faithful and solid adaptation -- and so now that I've had my fill, I'm ready for something new.

The toys look great, too -- lots of character (although I wish Raph had a more show-accurate head sculpt), and articulation seems to be solid for the four. I'll wait for a Battle Shell set, which as of Toy Fair is upcoming.

SO OKAY IT'S AVERAGE
Virtually every custom as good as the title suggests!
SoOkayItsAverage.2.gif

#102 Maruten

Maruten
  • Staff
  • 8123 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 15 October 2020 - 07:08 AM

Okay so I'm a bit late to this party, I've just been glaring bitterly at these ugly character designs for years and couldn't bear the thought of actually sitting down to watch this. But I wanted to watch some Turtles and the streaming home down here of the 2012 show only has s2 for some stupid reason, so Rise it was.

It's amazing! I wouldn't want this to be the default vibe for TMNT going forward, but if I want a good Real Turtles Show I can pop in my 2003 DVDs. It does have that "why did they go this way?" feeling of, as everyone said, something in he neighbourhood of TFA or TTG, but in motion the character designs I had written off as dreadful are spectacular -- spectacular!! -- and animated with such energy and fun that I was basically charmed from the moment the episode started.

The only thing I'm still struggling with (admittedly, having watched only the debut ep) is Splinter, but I'm sure I can come to terms with that. I love that feeling when you open your mind just enough to tentatively explore something you're certain will be garbage, and it blooms into something magical that you kick yourself for avoiding so long.

WsuGTl1.jpg

#103 Fero McPigletron

Fero McPigletron

Not a Maverick! Maybe.

• Citizen
  • 9634 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 15 October 2020 - 07:28 AM

I saw how awesome the animation is from the get go. And I love/hate that this Donnie has the most solid spine out of all of his incarnations. He is absolutely cutting with his remarks. Also him doing trademark JoJo poses makes him a fandom geek instead of a nerd/dweeb/whatever. 0:36

Leo is just doing a Dewey but it made him more flexible with his stories.

Mikey is less of a party guy because they're ALL party guys here.

Splinter's design might be ugly but when you get the new origin, yow, it's not the same but I dug it.

FWXOT0z.gif

TOY DRAMA THEATER!

1 minute of (minimal) lights, (steady) camera and...  ACTION FIGURES! (mostly Transformers) - Episode 031: Combiners and chest envy 

Episodes here

#104 ZakuConvoy

ZakuConvoy
  • Citizen
  • 766 posts

Posted 15 October 2020 - 03:22 PM

I still say the "talking" animation is kind of lazy.  But once they go into action mode, the animation gets a HUGE bump in quality.

And Splinter has a little more depth to him than you might expect.  It's actually an interesting take on the character.  It takes a long time to actually see it, though.  (Ep 13 The Evil League of Mutants  has a BIG reveal, but it's a crossover with some of the new villains, too.  You might want to watch some of the episodes in between.  The new villains are pretty fun and creative sometimes.).  

Plus, again, those last episodes are GREAT.  Maybe even better than the show really deserved.  It's definitely worth a watch.

Edited by ZakuConvoy, 15 October 2020 - 03:24 PM.

#105 Maruten

Maruten
  • Staff
  • 8123 posts

Posted 17 October 2020 - 12:12 AM

I watched every stupid action figure in this toyline clogging shelves here, and every time I glanced at them I shuddered at their hideousness and wondered why anyone would buy them.

Now I want every stupid figure and I just ordered a bloody Turtle Tank.

WsuGTl1.jpg

#106 Fero McPigletron

Fero McPigletron

Not a Maverick! Maybe.

• Citizen
  • 9634 posts

Posted 17 October 2020 - 07:41 AM

I'm saving my funds for TF Kingdom but I'm angling to get a figure of my favorite character from Rise, when, er, if gets cheaper. Sorry.

(My favorite character is Hypno-Potamus. Haha)

FWXOT0z.gif

TOY DRAMA THEATER!

1 minute of (minimal) lights, (steady) camera and...  ACTION FIGURES! (mostly Transformers) - Episode 031: Combiners and chest envy 

Episodes here

#107 Maruten

Maruten
  • Staff
  • 8123 posts

Posted 17 October 2020 - 10:26 PM

He's fantastic! I've got one on the way but he's one of the few figures who doesn't seem to be widely available at or close to retail price, though I didn't have to pay too much.

(There are a number of figures listed on Turtlepedia I can't find any reference to anywhere, so I assume some figures were never released? Big Mama for example?)

I found a handful of figures locally but there seems to be only one store in town with any stock at all. If you had said to me even a week ago that I would be in love with a Meat Sweats figure I would say "who is that" and "no I won't". Yet here we are.

A number of these figures are impacted by their design - you can't expect that much articulation from dumpy Splinter, for instance, and this is a show whose aesthetic generates big guys with tiny legs - but generally it seems the line has more care put into it than the demographic might dictate. April is very well articulated for such a slight figure, Meat Sweats' swappable hands seem quite luxurious. That said I haven't got hold of an actual Turtle yet so for all I know they may be trash.

Lots of dudes with no figure who make me sad. One of the major gaps is a Maurice LaMarche. We got our Foot Pinky figure but not a Foot Brain. Criminal that Hypno-Potamus doesn't come with a Warren Stone accessory. Want a Hueso. List could go on for a long time!

WsuGTl1.jpg

#108 Fero McPigletron

Fero McPigletron

Not a Maverick! Maybe.

• Citizen
  • 9634 posts

Posted 18 October 2020 - 12:16 AM

Yeah! Warren Stone would have been such an easy figure to make, haha!

Let them do an Adam Orko pack in joke, where Warren Stone is main advertised figure then hide a full set of Shredder armor in the side, hehe

They could have made more female villains, really. I was annoyed at Rise at first for not having more familiar enemies (the way Nick TMNT started) but they had so much personality that I wanted to see more of them. Hypno-Potamus, Repo Mantis, Draxum in a robe, haha. Todd the Capybara wouldn't be a very action-y action figure but he's a fun character too.

FWXOT0z.gif

TOY DRAMA THEATER!

Episodes here

#109 Maruten

Maruten
  • Staff
  • 8123 posts

Posted 21 October 2020 - 08:52 PM

Nice to hear Miko in a recurring role, but EXTRAORDINARY to have a group of characters voiced by Peter Cullen, Frank Welker and Susan Blu. Clearly they have some major TF fans working on the show.  

WsuGTl1.jpg

#110 LBD "Nytetrayn"

LBD "Nytetrayn"

Quyzbuk

• Supporter
  • 19073 posts

Posted 23 October 2020 - 04:24 AM

Catching up on the finale, and man, do I love this series!

--LBD "Nytetrayn"

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gif0g9jaoG.gifuWt4fLV.gif

#111 Maruten

Maruten
  • Staff
  • 8123 posts

Posted 03 November 2020 - 04:44 AM

I'm about half way through season 2 I think (just watched Raph's Ride Along, blown away by Cudley cameo). Still crazy in love with this show. Taking s2 slow because I don't want it to be over.

I came out of episode one going "my only remaining concern is their weird and dreadful take on Splinter", and, yeah... I'm past that. He's flippin' brilliant. The phrase "Hot Soup" is now a permanent fixture in my vocabulary.

Today my Turtles four-pack finally arrived, and excluding Turtle variants I've got, or ordered, every character outside of Bullhop who seems to be the hardest to come by. It was tough to find a "reasonably" priced Shredder, but I scored one for about $50 (noting that we are speaking here in Down Under Dollarbucks) which is 2.5 times local retail, the cheapest I've seen on eBay.

Turtle Tank got here, and it's pretty awesome - still waiting on some Shell Hogs to complete it. I fear I won't be able to bring home an Epic Sewer Lair!!! for less than about $400, which is rough. Had I jumped on this train earlier I could have grabbed one cheap when everyone was burning them off. This toyline is where I live now though, so I don't see myself resisting for long. Lucky I don't want any of those boring Kingdom Transformers that are coming up!

Most of the figures have pretty cool accessories, but I particularly love Raph's glowing Hulk hands. They did not have to give Donnie a removable "battle shell" - making it detachable serves no real purpose beyond show accuracy, so it just feels like another case where they've gone above and beyond with these toys.

9ANrJ1G.jpg

ciUol8x.jpg

ov5g4QR.jpg

KvA3Chw.jpg

ZydGdjb.jpg

GYnUowf.jpg

BatrCWD.jpg

DFtFpT0.jpg

WsuGTl1.jpg

#112 Fero McPigletron

Fero McPigletron

Not a Maverick! Maybe.

• Citizen
  • 9634 posts

Posted 03 November 2020 - 10:35 AM

Nice set! Hey, what's that room background in the first pic?

From the show, I'm loving how Donnie has three different Shells with tech stuff. The one that hovers, the one with extra arms and I forget the last one. Since I don't know the full extent of the toy line, is there a version with all three?

Also, our McDonald's has Rise TMNT as their Happy Meal toys and I got Donnie. It's just a weird sewer piece that launches a small Donnie figure.

FWXOT0z.gif

TOY DRAMA THEATER!

Episodes here

#113 Maruten

Maruten
  • Staff
  • 8123 posts

Posted 03 November 2020 - 06:04 PM

The toyline has the (very flat) SHELLDON drone that's on the vanilla figure (and the Shell Hog rider I think), and the two "chase" figures with the jetpack and the spider arms. I think that's it, other than the (uppercase) Battle Shell version with the weapon storage in the  back. 

That photo uses FIGUARTS ZERO NOBITA'S ROOM SET (DORAEMON) which is now my go-to photography backdrop for everything (until I manage to get myself a sewer lair). It's a great size for Rise figures, Donnie sits at that desk much better than Earthrise toys do!

WsuGTl1.jpg

#114 LBD "Nytetrayn"

LBD "Nytetrayn"

Quyzbuk

• Supporter
  • 19073 posts

Posted 04 November 2020 - 04:58 AM

Oh man, there's a RotTMNT Happy Meal?

All we've got right now is Jurassic World.

--LBD "Nytetrayn"

#115 Fero McPigletron

Fero McPigletron

Not a Maverick! Maybe.

• Citizen
  • 9634 posts

Posted 04 November 2020 - 06:15 AM

The McDonald's Rise looks like this but we only got the Turtles. Apparently there's a Splinter McDonald's too?

Www.youtube.com/watch?v=grFz0iqCAjk

Ah Doraemon, cool, hehe.

The turtles are looking pretty great, else it's really just the crisp quality of the pics taken? Hehe. Love the removeable gargoyles on Draxum's shoulders, haha.

Yeah, I'm surprised on how strange 'Hot Soooup' was at the start but, as the show went on, it started totally rolling off the tongue like it was nothing, haha. Also love the jaguar tiger whatever growls whenever cool posing stuff happens, hehe

BTW, at usual media times, when the Turtles are... 16? Splinter is suppose to be... Mid 40s? 50s? Like, he started taking care of the kids at his 30s?

Edited by Fero McPigletron, 04 November 2020 - 06:20 AM.

FWXOT0z.gif

TOY DRAMA THEATER!

Episodes here

#116 Maruten

Maruten
  • Staff
  • 8123 posts

Posted 04 November 2020 - 06:22 PM

Sadly, Draxum's gargoyles don't actually seem to be removable as far as I can tell. He comes with separate Huginn and Muninn accessories, but the ones on his shoulders... are always there. It's one of the toyline's few fails I think. The other big one is that Splinter needs more paint for his hair. It really buggers up his look.

We had the Happy Meals here a few months back, way before I was smart enough to be into this show. :(

WsuGTl1.jpg

#117 LBD "Nytetrayn"

LBD "Nytetrayn"

Quyzbuk

• Supporter
  • 19073 posts

Posted 05 November 2020 - 05:43 AM

BTW, at usual media times, when the Turtles are... 16? Splinter is suppose to be... Mid 40s? 50s? Like, he started taking care of the kids at his 30s?

2627563484_99593803ab_o.png

--LBD "Nytetrayn"

Edited by LBD "Nytetrayn", 05 November 2020 - 05:48 AM.

#118 Fero McPigletron

Fero McPigletron

Not a Maverick! Maybe.

• Citizen
  • 9634 posts

Posted 05 November 2020 - 09:58 AM

Dang, classic toon Splinter is a young dad (human to rat, not rat to mutant) .

Rise Splinter looked... 25 when he first got a hold of the turtles. Poor guy. He was at his prime then.

Oh, the shoulder 'Goyles looked like separate pieces, my mistake.

FWXOT0z.gif

TOY DRAMA THEATER!

Episodes here

#119 Maruten

Maruten
  • Staff
  • 8123 posts

Posted 05 November 2020 - 05:25 PM

They do look removable, and they're flexible enough that I'd wager there are kids who have detached them and then started crying...

WsuGTl1.jpg

#120 Maruten

Maruten
  • Staff
  • 8123 posts

Posted 17 November 2020 - 11:05 PM

My Shredder arrived. The only character I'm now missing is Bullhop, the most super popular character of all and hardest to track down For Some Reason (that reason being, I assume, End Of Line Nobodycaresitis). I'm keen to get one, because he's the line's only good guy outside of the Drain Six. 

VOiHmeJ.jpg

hMHhz6r.jpg

What other item done also arrived, are the Epic Sewer Lair! I finally found one for only $250 au shipped (I had not seen previously seen any sign that I'd be able to find one - complete -  for less than $400). It's huge and amazing, and if you ever wondered whether there was enough space for Scorponok to hide in the sewers beneath New York, the answer is yes. 

5nsR8PW.jpg

Many more Lair photos:

Spoiler

So in love with this line. I wish it hadn't died prematurely, but I'm glad I was able to catch up so easily.

WsuGTl1.jpg

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users