Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  wonko the sane? : (18 November 2017 - 08:37 AM)

You won't be at school or work anymore... so mitigated success.

@  TheMightyMol... : (17 November 2017 - 05:21 PM)

Just don't try to plug yourself into an outlet. It won't end well.

@  Bass X0 : (17 November 2017 - 04:57 PM)

Trying to stay awake at work or school is a lot like using your controller when it's on low battery

@  Pennpenn : (17 November 2017 - 10:31 AM)

If you're used to doing it with tabs, that makes sense. It doesn't feel weird for me.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (17 November 2017 - 10:28 AM)

Also, it just feels weird if switching between webpages uses the same actions as switching between programs.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (17 November 2017 - 10:21 AM)

I switch between different things on the browser and click on various plugins and stuff far more often than switching from program to program.

@  Pennpenn : (17 November 2017 - 10:19 AM)

Yeah I'm mostly just venting from frustration rather than trying to convince anyone, though @NotVeryNightly I will point out that the windows for the other programs I'm running are at the bottom of the screen as well.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (17 November 2017 - 10:09 AM)

Tabs are on the top, near the address bar, browser tools, plugins and whatnot so the cursor will be there frequently anyway. Switching windows would require going down the screen.

@  Shrug : (17 November 2017 - 10:03 AM)

I mean, you do you. No bigs. You've just got a fairly unique stance that surprised me.

@  Shrug : (17 November 2017 - 09:54 AM)

I haven't seen words on the bottom bar of the screen since XP.

@  Pennpenn : (17 November 2017 - 09:13 AM)

All of which is put on the point that I don't care if people want to use tabs, I just want the option to not have them present for me on my browser.

@  Pennpenn : (17 November 2017 - 09:12 AM)

@Shrug- A quick glance at the bottom of the screen shows me what is open and where. Load times are basically so trivial that the load indicator on a tab is something I didn't notice until you mentioned it. The "which instance is playing noise" is a fair point but has basically only really been approaching meaningful for me maybe twice in all the time tabs have existed.

@  Pennpenn : (17 November 2017 - 09:07 AM)

@NotveryKnightly- I have never encountered a situation where that is true, especially given that tabs are on the other side of the screen to the other things I'm switching through.

@  Pennpenn : (17 November 2017 - 09:06 AM)

@ Nevermore- The windows at the bottom have the names of the websites on them, presuming you don't collapse them.

@  Shrug : (17 November 2017 - 08:08 AM)

Geez, this is reminding me of the awful pre-tab days.

@  Shrug : (17 November 2017 - 08:07 AM)

I can look at the tab to see if it hasn't finished loading yet. Now you can see which tab is playing sound, so no need to hunt through windows to find a video ad that started playing.

@  Shrug : (17 November 2017 - 08:07 AM)

And a quick glance lets me know whats open and where. No clicking multiple windows hunting for something. No waiting for some window preview to pop up (which wasn't available when tabs first started.)

@  NotVeryKnightly : (17 November 2017 - 06:03 AM)

Switching between tabs is way quicker than between windows.

@  Nevermore : (17 November 2017 - 04:09 AM)

It's like having a clear structore with sub-directores, instead of just having all files on your computer stored in one giant directory.

@  Nevermore : (17 November 2017 - 04:08 AM)

This way, I can switch between windows and then select the tab, instead of always trying to remember which window is for which website.

@  Nevermore : (17 November 2017 - 04:07 AM)

I find one browser window with multiple tabs a lot easier to handle alongside other windows than multiple browser windows alongside other windows.

@  Nevermore : (17 November 2017 - 04:06 AM)

I find multiple tabs a lot more comfortable than multiple windows.

@  Nevermore : (17 November 2017 - 04:06 AM)

erm... no?

@  Pennpenn : (17 November 2017 - 03:26 AM)

On mobile devices and whatever I understand why tabs would be a thing, but on a full desktop browser it's just- "Hey, here's a thing that's kind of like opening a new window, but objectively worse in every practical way"

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (17 November 2017 - 01:41 AM)

Someone remind me again: which versions of the CW Hot Spot mold did not suffer from bad hip ratcheting?

@  BlackMax : (16 November 2017 - 06:33 PM)

Holy crap I just pushed the F11 key for the first time on a keyboard since about 1994.

@  Shrug : (16 November 2017 - 01:11 PM)

tabs being wretched bs is definitely an opinion I've never seen before

@  RC85747 : (16 November 2017 - 08:25 AM)

Vivaldi lets you hide the tab bar

@  Pennpenn : (16 November 2017 - 07:45 AM)

Yeah but that gets rid of everything else as well.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (16 November 2017 - 07:33 AM)

Hit F11 Pennpenn

@  Pennpenn : (16 November 2017 - 04:15 AM)

I get that people like tabs. Fine. Whatever. I just detest the fact that most current browsers don't let you have the option of just hiding the bar away so I don't have to even think about the wretched bullshit things.

@  Pennpenn : (16 November 2017 - 04:06 AM)

Does anyone know of a browser that doesn't force tabs on you? Just... any sodding browser that doesn't have tabs.

@  Telly : (16 November 2017 - 01:59 AM)

being mostly wrong is better than being TOTALLY wrong!

@  BlackMax : (15 November 2017 - 09:26 PM)

ALL HAIL THE BLESSED OCTOBUTT.

@  Strafe : (15 November 2017 - 08:24 PM)

I really hope so. All of my high school drawings and notes (Hand-written notes! God, I'm old.) from girls are in a chest in the attic of my parents house. I'll check when I visit!

@  MEDdMI : (15 November 2017 - 06:39 PM)

Do you still have those drawings?

@  BlackMax : (15 November 2017 - 06:31 PM)

I think lesbian ninjas is just an unmitigated good idea. *shrug*

@  Devcon : (15 November 2017 - 05:56 PM)

well, that and Balloon Doggies, Mr secretary

@  Strafe : (15 November 2017 - 04:12 PM)

It's my crowning Allspark achievement! You're welcome.

@  Strafe : (15 November 2017 - 04:05 PM)

"Someone" being me. No mystery to it, I used to draw a lot during class when I was in high school. I came up with lesbian ninjas, which were a specialized team of assassins with amazing hair and impeccable style. I scanned some of my drawings and mentioned them a few times on the ezboard 17 years ago, and people seemed to like the idea.

@  Copper Bezel : (15 November 2017 - 01:05 PM)

Thanks in any case!

@  Copper Bezel : (15 November 2017 - 01:05 PM)

Oh, wow. That is ages ago. 

@  Telly : (15 November 2017 - 01:03 PM)

ages ago meaning when the spark was still on ezboard

@  Telly : (15 November 2017 - 01:02 PM)

i think maybe it was part of a title of a movie someone posted ages ago and the "lesbian ninja" part stood out and people just latched on to it. please note this is possibly totally and completely wrong cause my memory is terrible anymore

@  Copper Bezel : (15 November 2017 - 12:11 PM)

I don't think it's a fandom thing, I think it's an Allspark thing. Or that's been my perception. Mayhem has some lesbian ninja regulars now but I think the reference is much older. = ] 

@  Robowang : (15 November 2017 - 11:02 AM)

Who knows. I always thought it was stupid.

@  RichardT1977 : (15 November 2017 - 10:31 AM)

What is this fandom's deal with lesbian ninjas? Is it some fantheory about Nightbird or something?

@  OrionPax44 : (15 November 2017 - 08:26 AM)

Huh my phone didn't even alert me for some reason. Guess it only does on the Mayhem Discord Hangouts??

@  BlackMax : (14 November 2017 - 09:41 PM)

Telly, you are FIRED as my PR agent. :D

@  Telly : (14 November 2017 - 09:05 PM)

you all dont know what you missed. there was fun. there were games. lesbian ninjas. tang and even a couple human sacrifices.

Photo
- - - - -

The Spark in Review: The Allspark News Weekly Digest Nov. 17

Spark in Review

10 replies to this topic

#1 Copper Bezel

Copper Bezel

First, we take Thanksgiving

• Staff
  • 41903 posts
  • Faction::Equestrian

Posted 20 October 2017 - 11:35 PM

Trying something a little weird, and I'm open to feedback on this, but the front page moves pretty fast and not everyone happens to look at it on a daily basis. It's easy to miss an item that you're interested in amidst all the other goings-on. Almost anything that shows up on the front page either starts or ends up in a discussion thread somewhere here in the forums, too, but that still doesn't offer an overhead view of what's new and interesting. So what better way to solve this problem than another front-page post? XD

The idea is, we'll update to this thread every Friday with a rundown of major news items from the week. There's almost always going to be a discussion thread somewhere for anything the stories touch on, so discussion in this thread should be limited to more meta thoughts - either the from-orbit view of what's interesting right now, or concerns and suggestions for the digests themselves. That all make sense?

So without further ado, the (belated, my bad) Spark in Review: Oct. 20:

Transformers Cartoons, Comics, and Media

Cyberverse1stLook.jpg?resize=370%2C170&s

This week at the Allspark, we have to give top billing to upcoming cartoon news. We’ve just had our first look at Cyberverse, the successor to the Robots in Disguise series. It appears to centrally feature Bumblebee and Windblade and likely target a similar demographic, though there’s no word whether this series shares its continuity with the “Aligned” universe of RiD, Prime, and Rescue Bots. For more, erm, mature audiences, we’ve also had some peeks into the upcoming Titans Return web series, set to premiere November 14, including a synopsis and behind-the-scenes video with the writer and producer.

While we’re on the subject of Transformers media that isn’t made of plastic, we have our comics news: the January solicitations list from IDW publishing, as well as previews of First Strike #6Optimus Prime #12, Mask: First Strike, and ROM #14. Optimus Prime #12 is a special one, since starred artist Andrew Griffith has returned to fill in for the interior art for this issue.

On one last media note, the Transformers: Earth Wars and Transformers: Forged to Fight mobile games have each rolled out new updates this week as well. Forged to Fight has hit its 4.0 milestone and introduced a new chapter, while Earth Wars has debuted the Power Cores update, adding a new layer of strategy and customization to its gameplay.

Toy News and Reveals

4733e2bagy1fkmnhs7c83j20v90keq5u.jpg?res

If you’re here for the plastic, we’ve had a few reveals this week, and one of them was even intentional! Masterpiece Movie Barricade wasn’t, revealed instead via a leaked deco guide. Three separate leaks of Power of the Primes stock images revealed combined artworkindividual artwork, and toy images relating to Abominus, combiner forms of Elita-1 and Inferno, and Moonracer, as well as glimpses of a few bonus characters along the way. Finally, the upcoming Darth Vader transforming TIE Advanced fighter was finally officially revealed in full color, leaving us to speculate just where this second pass at Star Wars crossover Transformers might be going.

We’ve also released two galleries of recent figures: TakaraTomy Legends Hot Rod, and Hasbro Toy Shop exclusive Grotusque with Scorponok. And if you’re into haul posts, we discussed the complementary press package we received from Hasbro at NYCC 2017.

Finally, TakaraTomy’s Legends Greatshot and Grand Maximus have become available for preorder at site sponsors BigBadToyStore and TFSource.

Reflections

For me, the biggest news this week could only be about the Titans Return series from Machinima; I’m sure we all have a special place in our hearts for Combiner Wars and will never DOINK forget what we experienced. But Movie Masterpiece Barricade and the related rumors about future MPM figures hints that what seemed like a near one-off in Bumblebee and Prime might become a unique and exciting line, and fans following Power of the Primes to fill out their Generation 1 rosters have a lot to look forward to in 2018. 

Did we miss anything exciting? Anything that we did include jump out at you that you might have missed otherwise? Does this series seem like it might be useful to you in the future, or do you have any suggestions or thoughts for this or future digests? Let me know. = ] 

Edited by Copper Bezel, 17 November 2017 - 05:24 PM.

Shouldn't gravity be doing something?

Of course there's a figure of Rodimus as some kind of animal girl. Why would I be surprised by this?

#2 Evac

Evac

Bees. My God.

• Citizen
  • 23832 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 21 October 2017 - 12:23 PM

Personally, I think we need a "quotes of the week" section. EDIT: Probably needs an Allsparkle section, too

Edited by Evac, 21 October 2017 - 12:24 PM.

• SoS likes this

#3 Copper Bezel

Copper Bezel

• Staff
  • 41903 posts

Posted 21 October 2017 - 06:16 PM

Oh, I didn't realize what you meant at first. Like, taking recent goings-on from the board back to the front page in a sense, too. That's a neat idea, and there are usually some properly pithy quotes around that would be fun to feature. = ] 

Allsparkle is interesting because it's a small group that sometimes does art that would be eligible for the weekly showcase ... except we don't post it in Iacon, and the front page itself doesn't largely cover MLP news. So that feels trickier to bridge with our usual existing content.

Of course there's a figure of Rodimus as some kind of animal girl. Why would I be surprised by this?

#4 Cybersnark

Cybersnark

Sorry I'm late. Had to get my powersuit.

• Citizen
  • 10151 posts

Posted 22 October 2017 - 04:10 PM

Personally, I think we need a "quotes of the week" section.

But --But the annual thread! People look forward to it.

#5 Copper Bezel

Copper Bezel

• Staff
  • 41903 posts

Posted 22 October 2017 - 04:18 PM

Yeah, I've not been saving links for ten months for nothing. XD

#6 Xero Prime

Xero Prime

its like drinking a My Little Pony

• Citizen
  • 945 posts

Posted 22 October 2017 - 09:51 PM

Cool. no in depth discussion just good community. GO!

#7 LBD "Nytetrayn"

LBD "Nytetrayn"

Quyzbuk

• Supporter
  • 17814 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 23 October 2017 - 04:01 AM

I look forward to the annual thread, but something weekly sounds good.

The annual thread would probably be more community-involved and more of a best/round-up anyway.

--LBD "Nytetrayn"

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gif0g9jaoG.gifuWt4fLV.gif

#8 Copper Bezel

Copper Bezel

• Staff
  • 41903 posts

Posted 27 October 2017 - 03:59 PM

Okay, October 27! This week’s news includes hints of new figures for TakaraTomy's upcoming Transformers Movie line and an interview with Bumblebee producer Lorenzo di Bonaventura. 

Toy News and Reveals

mpdinobotteaser-crop.jpg

We've had a couple of peeks this week into an upcoming new line of Transformers Movie figures from across the franchise: First, a pair of digitally obscured images of new-mold Voyager figures for TF2007 Brawl and RotF Megatron with packaging details, and second, new listings from TakaraTomy corroborating an upcoming movie line and pointing to a previously rumored new-mold Leader Blackout along with other figures from the 2007 and later movies. A Reissue has also surfaced of Battle Command Optimus Prime.

Outside of the Movie franchise, another tease of Masterpiece Dinobot was released as a prototype photo featuring his lovingly sculpted dinosaur head and torso. Finally, in-hand photos have been produced of Legends Gong (Brawn), Triggerhappy, Kickback, and Clouder, with some significant differences from the US releases.

Cartoons, Comics, and Media

33573149_sa-398x500.jpg

Continuing the movie theme of the toy reveals, the entire series will now be available on 4k Blu-ray on November 5. Looking forward, an interview with Lorenzo di Bonaventura reveals his thinking about the upcoming Bumblebee, what it has in common with the prior films, and where it will differ.

As always, we also have IDW's comic Shipping List for November 1. And as an odd bonus (in a manner of speaking), the full Combiner Wars web series is now available on YouTube, although the continuation series Titans Return will still be exclusive to go90.

In one odd piece of news from elsewhere in the Hasbro universe, Stretch Armstrong and the Flex Fighters now has a trailer and a November 17 Netflix release date, and we're waiting to see how Hasbro handles its first real go at producing a streaming-exclusive series for one of its memorable toy brands.

Our Regular Items

Check out our weekly Allspark Art Showcase from Saturday, and come back tomorrow for this week's edition! If you're catching up or feeling nostalgic, you can check out last week's headlines in the Spark in Review.

Edited by Copper Bezel, 27 October 2017 - 04:34 PM.

#9 Copper Bezel

Copper Bezel

• Staff
  • 41903 posts

Posted 03 November 2017 - 09:04 PM

Apologies again for the lateness of this installment; I like to get these out by 5:00 Eastern, or rather, liked that one time I did so. Here's the week's rundown of news from the front page including Legends news, details about the Generations 2018 mook, and the usual comics updates. We haven't forgotten about the suggestion of including quotes of the week from the boards, just haven't got around to that discussion in the back yet, sorry!

Toy News and Reveals

POTP-SS-1.jpg?resize=300%2C201&ssl=1

There haven’t been many new upcoming toy reveals this week, but stock images broke yesterday for Power of the Primes Starscream, differing wildly from his convention case appearances and stock renders with an audacious foil-sticker jacket. There’s been some TakaraTomy Legends news with Grand Maximus slated to begin production, but without the Grand Pretender shell that made the concept so novel, and Greatshot’s package art leaked in sample form. Video reviews have begun to surface for Legends Triggerhappy, and his pack-in comic, along with those of Kickback and Gong, have materialized as scans. An interesting piece of concept art also surfaced, featuring Titans Return Wolfwire in an earlier form with a more centrally located cockpit.

A step away from the Generations world, we’ve seen new images of upcoming Rescue Bots Megabots Boulder in a new excavator alt mode, video turnarounds have been released of Diacone Big Powered GV with his imposing deco and articulated fingers, and Kidrobot has released images for an upcoming G.I. Joe lineup. Preorders have also opened for Robots in Disguise Warriors Thermidor and Bludgeon.

Hasbro has also announced its second HASCON event in Providence in September 2019.

Comics, Games, and Media

TFF_Screenshot_LogoLegal_Dinobot_1920x10

IDW comics has released their shipping list for November 8, and full previews are live of Transformers: First Strike #1MASK: First Strike #1Optimus Prime #12, and ROM #14, with alternate covers for Lost Light #11. IGN interviewed Editor-in-Chief David Hedgecock on the First Strike event and upcoming finale, and Amazon has opened preorders on the Optimus Prime Vol. 3 trade, while Star Wars Adventures Vol. 1 is already shipping.

Outside comics, the Generations 2018 mook is slated to include a new manga chapter and has had its cover art revealed. Movie news is scant, except that John Ortiz has been confirmed for an unknown role in the 2018 Bumblebee. Sporting an aggressive new design, Beast Wars Dinobot has appeared in Forged to Fight, and the impending Titans Return web series has been teased with another poster.

Outside the Transformers universe, Steven Universe is slated to (finally!) return with Season 5 on November 10.

Regular Items

Allspark’s own Action and Adventure podcast has released episode 12, “Sound Problems”, with discussions of the latest Transformers comics action. Don’t miss last week’s Allspark Art Showcase of Noideaforaname’s beautiful Halloween monster series, and stick around tomorrow for this week’s installment. If you’re feeling nostalgic or catching up, see last week’s Spark in Review for – what else? – last week’s news!

Edited by Copper Bezel, 10 November 2017 - 05:30 PM.

• SoS likes this

#10 Copper Bezel

Copper Bezel

• Staff
  • 41903 posts

Posted 10 November 2017 - 05:30 PM

Going to be keeping these together in a single thread. Doing them separately made sense very briefly for some reason and then stopped.

The news this week hasn’t been the maddest of caps, but with new reveals into the Titans Return web series barreling down upon us on Tuesday and two more rounds of Power of the Primes stock images to lust over, it’s a good time to pause and reflect on highest hopes and most moderated of expectations.

Toy News and Reveals

power-of-the-primes-grimlock-beast-mode.

The biggest news this week in toys is a pair of stock image releases revealing GrimlockOptimus, and Rodimus from new angles and a number of other in-package images, and like Starscream’s bestickered reveal last week, this is even their final form.

We’ve also seen preorders open for MP-41 Masterpiece Dinobot at an unexpected price, video reviews for the recently launched Legends Kickback and Gong / Brawn, and yet another confirmation of Takara’s new Movie-based toyline, now with a name: Transformers: Studio Series.

Finally, another round of reveals for Kidrobot’s Transformers vs. G.I. Joe shows off some very appealing little robot men with which to decorate the most stylish of desks.

Comics, Games, and Media

2017-11-10_16-23-32.png?resize=300%2C152

This may as easily belong in the Toys section, but the contents of  Hero-X Generations 2018 mook have been revealed, from behind-the-scenes design to manga chapters to a detailed look at MP-41 Dinobot.

In IDW comics news, we have the shipping list for Nov. 15 (I’m hoping for Rodimus x Drift) and iTunes previews for Optimus Prime #13 and Clue #6.

And then there’s Titans Return. With a trailer and a behind-the-scenes commentary short, the epic continuation of Combiner Wars is on track to live up to exactly the expectations set by its predecessor. If two unusually large robots punching each other in an empty street is a “level of chaos” that “we have never seen”, we can’t wait to see what it’s like once things really get rolling.

Regular Items

Allspark’s Action and Adventure podcast released Wednesday with Episode 13, “Inconclusive Conclusions.”  As always, check out last week’s Art Showcase (featuring a lovely Generations rendition of IDW Pharma) and the Spark in Review (featuring … news) if you missed them, and be sure to check out our next Art Showcase pic tomorrow!

Edited by Copper Bezel, 10 November 2017 - 05:34 PM.

#11 Copper Bezel

Copper Bezel

• Staff
  • 41903 posts

Posted 17 November 2017 - 05:23 PM

It's been a week of first impressions as the first Power of the Primes Deluxes have filtered into Target shelves, fan hands, and YouTube reviews, probably in that order, alongside further reveals of Masterpiece Barricade and especially Dinobot. Meanwhile, the Titans have wandered back with the first two episodes of Machinima's Titans Return series on go90.

Toy News and Reveals item_tf_mp-41_06-500x342.jpg

The big news has been Power of the Primes Deluxes breaking on retail shelves well ahead of the December release date, and in-hand images and video reviews have showcased the new Jazz, Dreadwing, Swoop, and Slug. Hitting Targets (pun not evaded) under a new DCPI and SKU, a first for recent Generations launches, the figures have been variously appearing on shelves or simply waiting in back rooms for an upcoming reset. We've also posted a photo gallery of our own of these early-breaking figures.

Toys R Us Canada has also opened listings for these four figures, as well as Voyagers Grimlock and Starscream and the Shattered-Glass-based Leader Rodimus Unicronus.

We've also seen a detailed unveiling, followed by an even more detailed unveiling complete with sizzle reel, of upcoming Masterpiece Dinobot, who's available for preorder at site sponsors TFSource and BigBadToyStore. Movie Masterpiece Barricade has been revealed in some glory as well, and similarly listed for preorder on TFSource.

Finally, we've posted a gallery of Legends Kup with Recoil, a divisive figure who differs dramatically in sculpt and deco from his US release in Titans Return.

Outside of Transformers news, TakaraTomy has announced two upcoming Diaclone accessory sets tying into the new Big Powered robot, available for preorder at BigBadToyStore.

Comics, Games, and Media cullen-interview-banner-500x216.png

Machinima's Titans Return has opened with two episodes on the go90 streaming service, alongside another behind-the-framerates video with the cast (although there's no sign of a release to non-US viewers on YouTube this time around.) But sometimes it takes such adversity to bring out the best in our heroes, and Peter Cullen was interviewed by Collider on the occasion of the series launch to discuss the history and meaning of the Optimus Prime character.

It's been pretty quiet on the comics front, but IDW has released their shipping list for November 22. I've always preferred shipping charts, myself.

Regular Items lapis-showcase-banner-1.jpg

As always, check out last week’s Art Showcase (a lovingly sculpted miniature of Steven Universe's Lapis Lazuli) and the Spark in Review (aged like an expired box wine coupon) if you missed them, and be sure to check in again for our next Art Showcase pic tomorrow. You can also check out the winner and runners up for our Allspark Halloween Coloring Contest!

Quote of the Week 
Our quote of the week comes from Allspark user Spark, who shared this musing when asked what happened to the Transformers design team led by Aaron Archer:

I'm pretty sure Aaron Archer is in a cabin on a mountain, chopping wood and communing with nature while being defended by his bear intern.  On a quiet, cool night, if you listen hard enough, you can hear him yelling about the color yellow.

Billy Rawley and Eric Siebenaler clearly got demotions and work on something called "Star Wars".  Sounds violent.  It won't last.

Joe Kyde exists in all of us.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users