Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  NotVeryKnightly : (21 October 2020 - 08:46 AM)

I'm not sure what you're trying to imply, or what you even think I said.

@  wonko the sane? : (21 October 2020 - 08:11 AM)

Yeah, cause disco would make the transition so much better...

@  NotVeryKnightly : (21 October 2020 - 07:17 AM)

I feel the '80s music would be jarring when running over current-day CGI instead of well, '80s visuals.

@  Maximus Ambus : (21 October 2020 - 05:39 AM)

Not a remake, reanimated scene for scene, like that fan vid titled they were always real to me.

@  TheMightyMol... : (21 October 2020 - 04:37 AM)

Because we need more remakes these days.

@  Maximus Ambus : (21 October 2020 - 01:36 AM)

Be a hoot if these Studio Series 86 toys led to Transformers The Move Reanimated like Pokemon Mewtwo Strikes Back Evolution.

@  Paladin : (20 October 2020 - 05:15 PM)

only takes three pounds to be a cereal killer.

@  Kalidor : (20 October 2020 - 04:54 PM)

5 pounds is a lot of cereal! /deadpan

@  Maximus Ambus : (20 October 2020 - 02:32 PM)

Seems the area near my work place is due to be gentrified. Electric car ports, fifty pound haircuts and five pound bowls of cereal in breakfast cafes I'll bet.

@  Steevy Maximus : (19 October 2020 - 11:31 PM)

@ZakuConvoy Lumines Electric Symphony. So still halfway interesting, and it’ll play on the PS TV

@  Demovere Xeno : (19 October 2020 - 10:36 PM)

@Maximus: I paired the Battle Patrol with Ironworks and they look good together, though the Off Road Patrol would probably fit best as vehicles you're likely to find at a construction site.

@  ZakuConvoy : (19 October 2020 - 09:39 PM)

So...was it something like Tearaway or Gravity Rush or was it just a FIFA or a Madden?

@  wonko the sane? : (19 October 2020 - 08:26 PM)

Sounds like they need to clean more often.

@  Steevy Maximus : (19 October 2020 - 06:51 PM)

From the depths of Walmart's backroom comes...a Playstation Vita game in 2020?

@  Telly : (19 October 2020 - 02:20 PM)

and my bow

@  Donocropolis : (19 October 2020 - 11:49 AM)

<GIMLI> And my axe! </GIMLI>

@  Donocropolis : (19 October 2020 - 11:47 AM)

He's got my vote!

@  wonko the sane? : (19 October 2020 - 11:26 AM)

Mayor?

@  Maximus Ambus : (19 October 2020 - 07:38 AM)

Greasepit for the Sports Car Patrol, Airwave for the Airstrike Patrol, Hot House for the Rescue Patrol, Ironworks for ????

@  Steevy Maximus : (19 October 2020 - 04:09 AM)

My local Walmart FINALLY got a restock of Generations during the early September reset and got a big shipment of Earthrise wave 1 (the first I’d seen around here). IF, and that’s a big IF, they restock I’m expecting a bunch of wave 3. Or wave 2. But we’ll be skipping one of those waves.

@  Steevy Maximus : (19 October 2020 - 04:08 AM)

Barricade hanging around

@  Steevy Maximus : (19 October 2020 - 04:08 AM)

Brunt barely appeared here at all, wave 3 was pretty much skipped for a big load of wave 4, with Impactor and

@  wonko the sane? : (18 October 2020 - 10:13 PM)

Brunt is shelfwarming around me. One walmart moved the whole lot of them off to a side shelf, but couldn't be added to liquidate them.

@  unluckiness : (18 October 2020 - 09:01 PM)

Ironworks is a plague. No idea if it was overproduced or if nobody wants it but thing's clogging shelves.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (18 October 2020 - 04:23 PM)

My walmart the few times I go in will be lucky to have two or three transformers period.

@  TheMightyMol... : (18 October 2020 - 10:29 AM)

I mostly just see walls of Ironworks. And the occassional Siege Hound.

@  Paladin : (18 October 2020 - 08:44 AM)

condolences.

@  Nevermore : (18 October 2020 - 08:40 AM)

My local Symths is still chock full of Earthrise wave 1.

@  wonko the sane? : (18 October 2020 - 08:24 AM)

Yup, generally so much they don't bother with any other waves as the existing stock doesn't sell out.

@  Nevermore : (18 October 2020 - 07:56 AM)

All the damn time.

If there's anything there's going to be plenty of stock, it's wave 1.

I'm really not worried about wave 1 of a new line EVER.

@  wonko the sane? : (18 October 2020 - 07:47 AM)

At least you got listings for kingdom. walmart canada won't list them until they're actually in stock and that could very well never happen. I'm gonna get mine from BBTS cause I'm not missing out on the maximals.

@  Nevermore : (18 October 2020 - 07:32 AM)

And I don't buy the "they all sold out" explanation. The Kingdom figures are still listed.

@  Nevermore : (18 October 2020 - 07:32 AM)

I don't see any of Friday's reveals at Walmart.

@  Nevermore : (18 October 2020 - 07:23 AM)

There's a difference between "sold out" and "no trace of a listing".

@  Nevermore : (18 October 2020 - 07:23 AM)

There is still a listing for the scalped and sold out Walmart exclusive limited edition version of Gigawatt.

@  Nevermore : (18 October 2020 - 07:22 AM)

But there should still be a listing.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (18 October 2020 - 06:30 AM)

Probably got scalped and sold out in seconds.

@  Nevermore : (18 October 2020 - 04:10 AM)

And I don't see links anywhere either.

@  Nevermore : (18 October 2020 - 04:10 AM)

So did Walmart somehow fail put up the Headmasters preorders as promised by Hasbro, or have the listings been taken down again? I cannot find them.

@  Kalidor : (18 October 2020 - 03:02 AM)

My Depth Charge is signed by David Sobolov on the wing.

@  Echowarrior : (16 October 2020 - 09:51 PM)

So do I, and I am one.

@  TheMightyMol... : (16 October 2020 - 07:33 PM)

I need an adult.

@  -LittleAutob... : (16 October 2020 - 11:26 AM)

Watching people talk here is satisfying-

@  wonko the sane? : (16 October 2020 - 05:57 AM)

Nope, just awesome 80's metal hair.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (15 October 2020 - 12:17 PM)

Feathered Depthcharge? Does he turn into a fish with feathers?

@  Maximus Ambus : (15 October 2020 - 11:57 AM)

i've seen fan vids of feathered Dinobot and Depthcharge (which got a top comment by someone who claims to be his voice actor) which show how CG progressed.

@  wonko the sane? : (15 October 2020 - 08:01 AM)

A great story, and characters which more than make up for the now dated looking (but still clean and fluid.) CGI.

@  Maximus Ambus : (15 October 2020 - 03:31 AM)

Thanks to Kingdom I've been rewatching Beast Wars. Still tops.

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Studio Series 1986 line - Wave 1 Available for Pre-order Now!

Brawl Megatron movieformers Blackout TakaraTomy

3638 replies to this topic

#3541 Boomhauer

Boomhauer

Creator of all things Transformers

• Citizen
  • 5520 posts
  • Faction::Cannonball's Pirate Crew

Posted 15 October 2020 - 07:06 PM

The thing to me with "on-screen accuracy" is that, like, some on-screen accuracy like the Scourge and Hot Rod are clearly based on aesthetically pleasant animation models more or less, but then, we have people like Grimlock, who by all means seem to be based on a very doofy drawing of him, likely his actual animation model, and I wouldn't particularly consider that a thing I'd want a toy to resemble 100% without tweaks. I don't think anyone would be against things like "slightly tweak proportions of a limb here and here to look better" on these in the same way we have some of the Bayformers Studio Series figure that more or less stylized certain details they knew wouldn't work too well if they tried to make them 100% accurate like, say, Bonecrusher's arms, who are blockier for the sake of letting them become a certain part of his vehicle mode without the added kibble his Deluxe had, etc.

Jazz though I think looks good, since he is based on an animation model that did look mostly good in fact I wish his legs had managed to be more like the one the cartoon design has instead of this slightly unsightly compromise.

#3542 Octavius Prime

Octavius Prime

The 8th Prime, clearly

• Citizen
  • 10914 posts
  • Faction::Decepticon

Posted 15 October 2020 - 07:08 PM

I dont know why people are surprised at how Sunbow these guys are, given how Movie the rest of the Studio Series has attempted to be. Its like the whole point of the line.

It's just a departure from what we are used to. As you say, it makes sense, but when was the last time we had a line or sublime where both sculpting a deco gave animation accuracy a priority over everything else (aesthetic, transformation, realistic vehicles, gimmicks, etc)?
Accuracy and realism are both parts of aesthetics, and, uh, which recent/upcoming figure (besides Masterpiece Starscream) are you saying sacrificed alt-mode realism for show-accuracy?
I can't think of any...and can actually think of several that did the exact opposite, enough to say that the most common design goal in Earthrise and Kingdom is "show-accurate robot, realistic vehicle/beast", which Jazz seems to be following too; he's about as close to a Porche as they can get without licensing, to the point where it apparently legally matters whether or not he has the same number as the specific race car his colors are based on.
Earthrise Sky Lynx and Netflix Bumblebee are licensed, which I don't think ever happened in Generations outside Studio Series before.

Sorry, when I referenced realistic alt modes as a design priority I meant things like Generations flying wing Scourge. They just couldn't make him a flying bathtub, so they made him a prototype airliner that will never fly at an unfortunately tiny scale. Cool robot mode, but clearly and example of a desire for realistic altmodes affected the figure. Generations Kup is another example, as was Universe 2.0 Galvatron, though Universe 2.0 Cyclonus was a good counterexample because they suspended the realistic alt mode priority for some of the 25th Anniversary toys.

#3543 Superomegaprime

Superomegaprime
  • Citizen
  • 4205 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 15 October 2020 - 07:21 PM

I dont know why people are surprised at how Sunbow these guys are, given how Movie the rest of the Studio Series has attempted to be. Its like the whole point of the line.

It's just a departure from what we are used to. As you say, it makes sense, but when was the last time we had a line or sublime where both sculpting a deco gave animation accuracy a priority over everything else (aesthetic, transformation, realistic vehicles, gimmicks, etc)?
Accuracy and realism are both parts of aesthetics, and, uh, which recent/upcoming figure (besides Masterpiece Starscream) are you saying sacrificed alt-mode realism for show-accuracy?
I can't think of any...and can actually think of several that did the exact opposite, enough to say that the most common design goal in Earthrise and Kingdom is "show-accurate robot, realistic vehicle/beast", which Jazz seems to be following too; he's about as close to a Porche as they can get without licensing, to the point where it apparently legally matters whether or not he has the same number as the specific race car his colors are based on.
Earthrise Sky Lynx and Netflix Bumblebee are licensed, which I don't think ever happened in Generations outside Studio Series before.

Sorry, when I referenced realistic alt modes as a design priority I meant things like Generations flying wing Scourge. They just couldn't make him a flying bathtub, so they made him a prototype airliner that will never fly at an unfortunately tiny scale. Cool robot mode, but clearly and example of a desire for realistic altmodes affected the figure. Generations Kup is another example, as was Universe 2.0 Galvatron, though Universe 2.0 Cyclonus was a good counterexample because they suspended the realistic alt mode priority for some of the 25th Anniversary toys.

Universe 2.0 Galvatron was intended to be a voyager to start with but then he got demoted to deluxe and the figure suffered for that choice, Cyclonus was a good figure thou my only complaint about him would be the fact you could only put a weapon into one hand, at least he got a target master, Scourge's partnere only got a update one as a battlemaster in Siege but then packaged with the elisive Skywarp, I believe.

36428543702_ff3b1fc457_m.jpg

#3544 Platypus Prime

Platypus Prime
  • Citizen
  • 2595 posts
  • Faction::Unicron's Spawn

Posted 15 October 2020 - 07:47 PM

Either Blowpipe or Aimless wind up matching most versions of Scourge better than BM Fracas anyway, I thought.

#3545 LV!

LV!

A tendency to speak in jest

• Citizen
  • 18878 posts

Posted 15 October 2020 - 07:55 PM

Almost every Barricade toy, Studio Series included, gives him an abdomen, and it's the right call.

#3546 repowers

repowers

I AM THE ONE OF GOOD!!!

• Citizen
  • 1663 posts
  • Location:It looks like he's headed directly toward... WASHINGTON, D.C.!!

Posted 15 October 2020 - 09:49 PM

121673725_4464061610330665_8312847573289

I was really starting to wonder if the background line art was something significant, but it's just recycled from Aerialbot-era Combiner Wars.

repowers @ TFWiki.net

Robert is made to withstand plenty of play, and transforms from car to robot! Go, Robert, go!

Why will we solve after Robert grasps the abysmal winter's ulcer? He may change rural tailors, do you join them? The films, tapes, and spoons are all good and fresh.

#3547 Steevy Maximus

Steevy Maximus

Snarky Siegie

• Citizen
  • 5101 posts

Posted 15 October 2020 - 09:57 PM

Sky Lynx isn't a licensed vehicle, he just has NASA logos.

That's because mere humans have yet to make a vehicle worthy of his greatness!

#3548 Steevy Maximus

Steevy Maximus

Snarky Siegie

• Citizen
  • 5101 posts

Posted 15 October 2020 - 10:05 PM

I'm saying that SS86 will definitely redo most of the 86 cast, barring the people from WFC (I mean, SS86 WAS originally supposed to be in WFC 3 till the story, weapon ports just didn't work and they just realized they made TOO much molds). I've got new intel today and the only thing that's probably not on the remake menu is Devy, Blaster and Preceptor. Again, Hasbro cooperate is in shambles thanks to COVID absolutely screwing everything up, so its subject to change.

I'm not surprised.  I know they were banking on a TF movie in 2022, but if things don't improve that may not happen.  As is, they've pretty much been screwed this year with almost ALL of their initiatives being cut down and films being pushed ever farther out.  Black Widow toys have hit, but we're a good 6+ months out from a POTENTIAL release.  Will retailers hold onto toys that long?  Will they bother ordering new toys when they still have old stuff that hasn't even had their media released?  

This whole situation has probably jacked up Hasbro's planning for YEARS, beyond just the movie delays.

121673725_4464061610330665_8312847573289

I was really starting to wonder if the background line art was something significant, but it's just recycled from Aerialbot-era Combiner Wars.

Combiner Wars Devastator repaint confirmed?

#3549 Maruten

Maruten
  • Staff
  • 7930 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 15 October 2020 - 10:45 PM

I definitely don't need Jazz but I'm a bit worried that Hot Rod's sunnies will win me over. 

WsuGTl1.jpg

#3550 Blot

Blot

Grumble grumble complain grouse.

• Citizen
  • 8992 posts
  • Faction::Decepticon

Posted 15 October 2020 - 10:54 PM

Every mainline since Car Robots was imported?

Edited by Blot, 15 October 2020 - 10:54 PM.

#3551 NovaSaber

NovaSaber

Soundwave is colorblind

• Citizen
  • 6214 posts
  • Faction::RIBFIR

Posted 15 October 2020 - 10:57 PM

Well, I think that "never have anything alien or futuristic" is something that shouldn't be a goal at all, let alone a high-priority one.

#3552 Sabrblade

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase

• Citizen
  • 31216 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 15 October 2020 - 11:31 PM

On a different note, Hasro Pulse has put up a behind-the-scenes article on the Devastator figure.

https://hasbropulse....mers-devastator

At one point, before it was decided that they would both be Leader class figures, Scavenger and Overload were considered for the Commander and Voyager classes, respectively.

"When there's gold feathers, punch behind you!!"
QUOTE(Bass X0 @ Aug 17 2013, 08:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think the concept of being educated and being able to educate is something that more people need more of in their lives.

No, we don't all know everything but we should spread and share that what we do know.

If I'm consistently misspelling a word, I would want and expect people to correct me as should I imagine all decent people who know the value of good literacy.

Its just arrogant laziness to know you're spelling a word incorrectly and not correct yourself or ignore the advice when people do tell you how to spell a word correctly.

#3553 Galenraff

Galenraff

Sarcasm: unappreciated.

• Retired Staff
  • 33615 posts

Posted 16 October 2020 - 01:43 AM

Looks like Studio Series Devastator is up on Robotkingdom. $220 seems a good price, but they want $130 to ship it. Oof.

https://www.robotkin...F0ED1OkgUDPfUr8

ALERT: Everything is fine.

#3554 Kaon

Kaon
  • Owner
  • 4779 posts

Posted 16 October 2020 - 07:11 AM

New In-Hand images of Transformers Studio Series 86 Voyager Class Scourge, Voyager Class 04 Hot Rod and Deluxe Class Kup

Attached Thumbnails

• Scourge.jpg
  • Kup.jpg
  • Hot Rod.jpg

#3555 Echowarrior

Echowarrior

I write stuff...just not as much as I used to.

• Citizen
  • 10961 posts

Posted 16 October 2020 - 08:19 AM

Well, the '86 Studio Series guys look pretty good. I don't think I'll be buying them, but they look pretty good.

Meanwhile, Hasbro Pulse says that Skipjack is on his way. Yay!

William Rendfeld
That Echowarrior guy...
Author of "Transformers: Armada (Revisited)"- Allspark Fic of the Month for December 2005. Archive here.
"In matters of style, swim with the current. In matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Credited to Thomas Jefferson.
"You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life." - Credited to Winston Churchill.

#3556 Sciflyer

Sciflyer

Tomorrow's Harvest

• Citizen
  • 3635 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 16 October 2020 - 08:24 AM

I want to like that Kup so badly but I can't.  That face is just awful.  However, Hot Rod and Scourge are both incredible.

Edited by Sciflyer, 16 October 2020 - 08:25 AM.

#3557 Platypus Prime

Platypus Prime
  • Citizen
  • 2595 posts

Posted 16 October 2020 - 08:37 AM

I think it's good that they come with effect parts for those who like those things, it was a mistake to make them Battle-Master and huge-toy only.  I don't like the weapon storage, or lack thereof.  While I understand their reasoning for ditching the extra 5mm ports, in all these cases a couple centrally placed ones for vehicle modes would have been very useful.  I'm one of 'those people' who will add Targetmasters or other accessories just because I feel like it, and these have a significant lack of expansion potential.

#3558 electricidad

electricidad
  • Citizen
  • 666 posts

Posted 16 October 2020 - 08:56 AM

These are perfect representations of these characters. I'll be snapping them up, even though I've already got CHUG copies of each.

#3559 Kaon

Kaon
  • Owner
  • 4779 posts

Posted 16 October 2020 - 08:59 AM

The Kup face is pretty cringe, but overall I'm in love with these figures and will be snatching them up in a heartbeat.

#3560 Suspsy

Suspsy

This Title Section Needs To Be Longer

• Citizen
  • 4111 posts

Posted 16 October 2020 - 09:04 AM

Pity that Kup doesn't come with a fireblast piece; apparently that's only for Voyagers. I wonder if Grimlock will come with a big one for his mouth or two smaller ones for his gun.

If You Even Dream Of Beating Me, You'd Better Wake Up And Apologise.

Reply to this topic

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Brawl, Megatron, movieformers, Blackout, TakaraTomy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users