Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  Maximus Ambus : (23 September 2020 - 01:20 PM)

@Bass X0 Shockwave did it.

@  TheMightyMol... : (23 September 2020 - 11:56 AM)

At least it's not Suntwerker.

@  wonko the sane? : (23 September 2020 - 11:19 AM)

I read that name as "suntweaker" the first time, and was terrified for a moment...

@  Bass X0 : (23 September 2020 - 03:41 AM)

Prowl did nothing wrong.

@  TheMightyMol... : (23 September 2020 - 01:50 AM)

Smashy, Stabby, Selfy, and Shieldy.

@  Xero Prime : (22 September 2020 - 08:52 PM)

RunFast, MuckyTrail, TrackBreaker and Sunstreaker

@  TheMightyMol... : (22 September 2020 - 06:16 AM)

Runamuck, Fasttrack, Sunstreaker, and Trailbreaker.

@  Nevermore : (22 September 2020 - 06:13 AM)

Cardboard and plastic.

@  Paladin : (22 September 2020 - 05:52 AM)

what's IN Wave 3, anyway?

@  Telly : (21 September 2020 - 06:35 PM)

i dont think theyre due for release until november. at least thats when target says ill get trailbreaker and sunstreaker. thought the wiki says theyre out in singapore

@  TheMightyMol... : (21 September 2020 - 06:01 PM)

Has wave 3 actually reached anywhere yet?

@  Maximus Ambus : (21 September 2020 - 04:40 PM)

A few more Bearimy's for Earthrise wave 3 to reach the UK

@  Spiritofeigh... : (20 September 2020 - 05:07 PM)

Cheers pal.

@  wonko the sane? : (20 September 2020 - 04:42 PM)

Welcome aboard!

@  Spiritofeigh... : (20 September 2020 - 04:38 PM)

Hey, new to the boards

@  RichardT1977 : (20 September 2020 - 02:29 PM)

I had an idea for a Spiral Zone/Go-Busters crossover fanfic...

@  wonko the sane? : (19 September 2020 - 06:35 PM)

I loved what was there, and think it's pretty ripe for "renegades" style reboot.

@  Rycochet : (19 September 2020 - 03:13 PM)

It's a shame as I loved Spiral Zone, and the design from the Japanese Toyline of the same name are fantastic, I adore the monowheel motorbike.

@  Rycochet : (19 September 2020 - 03:12 PM)

Hasbro doesn't seem to have any interest in doing anything with the TV show, haven't greenlit any attempt to rerelease it, and there have been approaches, so I think it may be aother one of Tonka's legal carcrashes where everyone involved owns a piece and it's not really worth anyone sticking their neck out to claim ownership.

@  Steevy Maximus : (19 September 2020 - 01:47 PM)

I feel that homages and references would be a fun way to expand the GI Joe brand, and give a little love to lines that are unlikely to be acknowledged beyond such capacity.

@  Steevy Maximus : (19 September 2020 - 01:47 PM)

I was under the impression that Bandai was more the character design aspects, not story or characters.

@  Rycochet : (19 September 2020 - 12:55 PM)

Also isn't it in rights limbo, given how it's loosely based on concepts from a BanDai series much like GoBots?

@  Rycochet : (19 September 2020 - 12:52 PM)

We don't need a Spiral Zone reboot, in a decade or so we'll be living it.

@  wonko the sane? : (19 September 2020 - 12:49 PM)

Yeah, but it would fundamentally change the base premise of both gijoe and spiral zone. It's either not the world spanning threat it was, or the zone riders are backed up by a competent force. Either way, you compromise the context of both.

@  Steevy Maximus : (19 September 2020 - 12:19 PM)

Akin to what was done with Matt Tracker in 2008.

@  Steevy Maximus : (19 September 2020 - 12:18 PM)

Again, not a PURE transplant, but an integration of ideas and concepts into the world of GI Joe.

@  Steevy Maximus : (19 September 2020 - 12:18 PM)

@Wonko The Cobra Overlord, with help from Dr. Mindbender and Cesspool, develops machines capable of generating a mind-controlling fog. GI Joe stalwarts Flint, Airtight, Lifeline, and Psyche-Out are joined by Colonal Courage to infiltrate these zones and disable the machines. Figures would sport hostile environment suits (Eco warriors cross with Spiral Zone) and make new versions of the mono-wheel vehicles.

@  Maximus Ambus : (19 September 2020 - 09:39 AM)

Hasbroverse.2 with bought properties: Bravestarr, Ulysses 31, Galaxy Rangers, Shadow Raiders, Manta Force, Jayce and the Wheeled Warriors, Mighty Orbots, Jem and Bigfoot and the Muscle Machines. Seamless.

@  wonko the sane? : (19 September 2020 - 08:32 AM)

While acknoledging spiral zone would be pretty boss, I doubt they could actively integrate it into anything else: given the scale of the villains deeds.

@  Steevy Maximus : (19 September 2020 - 08:03 AM)

COPS, Spiral Zone, Shadow Strikers, Action Man, Centurions, MegaForce. They wouldn’t replicate the old lines, but simply acknowledging their existence would be nifty.

@  Steevy Maximus : (19 September 2020 - 08:01 AM)

I would love to see GI Joe become something of a “celebration of action figures”. Hasbro has SO MANY old action figure properties, and many could slot into the GI Joe umbrella with relative ease.

@  Otaku : (19 September 2020 - 12:04 AM)

G.I. Joe, CyberCOPS, and M.A.S.K. all seem like something that would work from Animated or Prime, though CyberCOPS might have been a bit trickier from Prime.

@  Sabrblade : (18 September 2020 - 11:02 PM)

Rik Alvarez originally wanted the last episode of Prime to spinoff into a new MASK reboot.

@  Otaku : (18 September 2020 - 08:19 PM)

The failed Hasbroverse reminds me how so many things could have been spun off from Transformers: Animated and (after that) Transformers: Prime.

@  ▲ndrusi : (18 September 2020 - 12:43 PM)

Requiem of the Wreckers was post-Revolution, but it was also, you know, a single issue.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (18 September 2020 - 11:06 AM)

But Roche didn't have a series to keep out from the crossovers since Sins of the Wreckers was before Revolution.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (18 September 2020 - 11:01 AM)

Oh wait, that post said Roche, not Barber.

@  Rycochet : (18 September 2020 - 10:46 AM)

And then seemed surprised nobody particlarly wanted it.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (18 September 2020 - 10:25 AM)

Wasn't Barber among the editorial guys that pushed for Hasbroverse?

@  Maximus Ambus : (18 September 2020 - 10:19 AM)

He did it possibly due to 616 Spider-Mans marriage reset between Civil War and Secret Invasion.

@  ▲ndrusi : (18 September 2020 - 09:20 AM)

Bendis kept a tight leash on Ultimate Spider-Man because it was mostly set far away from Earth?

@  -LittleAutob... : (18 September 2020 - 08:49 AM)

I'm learning so much-

@  Maruten : (18 September 2020 - 04:21 AM)

At its worst it was better than MASK, sure.

@  Maximus Ambus : (18 September 2020 - 02:15 AM)

At it's worst it still stomped all over the failed Hasbroverse. Roberts and Roche kept their respective series well out of that one for the same reasons Bendis kept a tight leash on Ultimate Spider-Man when Loeb and Miller wanted greater control for Ultimatum.

@  Maruten : (17 September 2020 - 06:37 PM)

That's so accurate it's physically painful.

@  Rycochet : (17 September 2020 - 02:05 PM)

The Red Dwarf of Transformers? An interesting, innovative and genuinely funny series that descended into a self referential mess of cliches that continues long after it should have been put out to pasture and rendered nerly everyone thoroughly unlikeable? That seems about right.

@  Bass X0 : (17 September 2020 - 01:59 PM)

MTMTE and Lost Light are the Red Dwarf of Transformers stories, as opposed to the others which are more like Star Wars and Star Trek.

@  Kalidor : (17 September 2020 - 01:37 PM)

Anyone in CONUS want a Skylynx for $100 shipped?

@  Maximus Ambus : (17 September 2020 - 01:34 PM)

Maybe an acquired taste in that's in that it's from a fan raised on the UK run where Transformers wasn't taken so seriously in many stories, especially some Earthforce standalones.

@  Paladin : (17 September 2020 - 09:47 AM)

so, terrible?

Photo

The New Mutants - totally releasing April 2020 for sure

139 replies to this topic

#21 Maruten

Maruten
  • Staff
  • 7854 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 15 October 2017 - 06:57 PM

I gather the actor playing Dani is Native American too which is good to hear. 

WsuGTl1.jpg

#22 Powered Convoy

Powered Convoy

Skywarp Connoisseur

• Retired Staff
  • 67790 posts
  • Faction::RIRFIB

Posted 15 October 2017 - 07:10 PM

I gather the actor playing Dani is Native American too which is good to hear. 

Yup, Blu Hunt is Native American.

ACItEK8.png

#23 Maruten

Maruten
  • Staff
  • 7854 posts

Posted 15 October 2017 - 07:20 PM

I'm boycotting the movie because they cast someone English as Rahne. 

WsuGTl1.jpg

#24 AgentOrange

AgentOrange
  • Citizen
  • 1443 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 15 October 2017 - 08:12 PM

Im so excited for this.

No way we woild ever get a New Mutants thats entirely faithful to the comics, unless you waited a while and did it as a reboot successor of the X-Men.

Disappointed theres still no Black Roberto. I hooe they do Warlock justice.

But yeah. Im stoked. It doesnt look like just another halfway decent X-Men movie.

Roberto is Braziliaan like his actor.  I know he was fairly dark skinned in the comic, but I dont know if he was meant to be black (as Brazilians tend to be dark skinned).

Cecilia Reyes is also played by a Brazilian actress, and shes supposed to be Puerto Rican.  Though I always thought she was African American based on her comic depiction.

Black since his first appearance.
j5jvGFn.jpg
You may be a lover but you ain't no dancer

#25 Maruten

Maruten
  • Staff
  • 7854 posts

Posted 15 October 2017 - 08:32 PM

I think you're both right.

https://en.wikipedia...unspot_(comics)

He is a mixed-race Brazilian, as the son of wealthy Afro-Brazilian businessman Emmanuel da Costa and a redheaded American archaeologist Nina da Costa.

WsuGTl1.jpg

#26 Powered Convoy

Powered Convoy

Skywarp Connoisseur

• Retired Staff
  • 67790 posts
  • Faction::RIRFIB

Posted 15 October 2017 - 09:24 PM

Seems that most people miss the African part and just stick to the Brazilian thing based on his name and originating country.

I was unaware of the African thing.

ACItEK8.png

#27 Maruten

Maruten
  • Staff
  • 7854 posts

Posted 15 October 2017 - 09:54 PM

I didn't recall it either, and if you compare the image above to the one at the top of his Wikipedia page (attached), well, colorists over the decades have apparently not been terribly consistent. 

Attached Thumbnails

• XMN_Sunspot.jpg

WsuGTl1.jpg

#28 Johnny Here

Johnny Here
  • Citizen
  • 734 posts

Posted 15 October 2017 - 10:02 PM

Warlock and Karma wont be in until the sequels.
Damn.

#29 Caldwin

Caldwin

Boomerang Master

• Supporter
  • 26233 posts
  • Faction::RIBFIR

Posted 23 October 2017 - 08:12 AM

I'm not sure how to feel about this. I've been wanting to see a live-action Rahne and Illyana for a while now. They're my favorite X-Men who aren't X-Men.

But Horror movies are kinda like Mexican food. I can't say I don't like them, because I kinda love them. But I have to really be in the mood for it or I just can't even.

So I guess when ever this hits the theatre I hope I'm in the mood for a good horror movie or I may just have to wait until Bluray. I rarely ever watch horror in the theatre.
PSN = Caldwin

Switch = SW-7457-8143-2029

Mornings are for coffee and contemplation.

Before you do anything you can't undo...National Suicide Prevention Hotline: 1-800-273-8255

#30 Maruten

Maruten
  • Staff
  • 7854 posts

Posted 23 October 2017 - 08:56 PM

It will be interesting to see where it actually ends up on that superhero-horror spectrum it's on, and whether the marketing ends up being misleading. 

WsuGTl1.jpg

#31 Daith

Daith

My Nyah brings all the girls to the yard

• Supporter
  • 9628 posts

Posted 23 October 2017 - 10:26 PM

I'm not sure how to feel about this. I've been wanting to see a live-action Rahne and Illyana for a while now. They're my favorite X-Men who aren't X-Men.

While I don’t believe Rhane has ever been on a proper X-men team, Illyana has been a leading character in a few X-men series in recent years. Still wouldn’t Rhane have been on the early Muir Island team years ago? Otherwise Factor and Force are decent enough.

Switch code: SW-6538-7795-1972

#32 PiratedTVPro

PiratedTVPro

Quoth Akitsu, "NEVERMORE!"

• Retired Staff
  • 14633 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 24 October 2017 - 08:36 AM

I don’t believe Rhane has ever been on a proper X-men team

She was originally a member of the X-Men's 1980s junior team "The New Mutants". Later on she joined the Pentagon-sponsored "X-Factor" and was also associated with the British superhero team "Excalibur". She appeared for a time as a teacher at Xavier's Academy in "New X-Men". She served as a member of the "X-Factor Investigations" detective agency, until she joined the new incarnation of "X-Force", so not a proper "X-Men" Gold or Blue team, but revolving around the outside of the franchise.

Edited by PiratedTVPro, 24 October 2017 - 08:38 AM.

Yep.

#33 LiamA

LiamA
  • Citizen
  • 3384 posts

Posted 04 November 2017 - 08:47 PM

Just saw a trailer for it today and I want to know why did they make it look like a horror movie.

#34 Dvandom

Dvandom

Purveyor of Ponies. And Physics.

• Supporter
  • 17403 posts

Posted 04 November 2017 - 08:52 PM

Well, the Demon Bear arc WAS a horror movie, and the New Mutants had their first arc with a pile of xenomorphs.  Also Illyana in Hell.

Really, if you look at the first couple years of New Mutants, a horror movie is really the best way to go.

---Dave

DAVE'S WEBPAGES
-- www.eyrie.org/~dvandom/BW --
NEWS, REVIEWS and SIGHTINGS
-- www.dvandom.com --
ARTWORK and IMAGES

Pssst...if you
can't see my images,
try my deviantArt!

#35 Shadewing

Shadewing

Artichoke of Misery

• Supporter
  • 36788 posts

Posted 04 November 2017 - 10:49 PM

Plus branching out into other genres is a way to keep the main one from getting stale. Its a good idea to try, and as stated, New Mutants is probably the best ones to start with because damn there is a lot of dark and horror type stories in that series. 

3DS Friend Code: 0387-9040-3532

Twitch Channel

Youtube Replays

VOTE for what I play on 8/30!

Friday: Sonic Generations - Sunday: Transformers WFC - Tuesday: Little Inferno

#36 Destron D-69

Destron D-69

Aligned Continuity Beauty

• Supporter
  • 63387 posts
  • Faction::Lesbian Ninja

Posted 05 November 2017 - 03:55 AM

I love that this looks like it might be a Different style film to all the other X-men stuff. Fox got a good idea finally and it seems to be "hey lets not just shit these out because we still have the rights, lets actually try and do good stuff"  ... 

All I'm sad about is that this is set so far back in the chronology of the character that Dani won't be a Valkyrie 

XD all else is pure love and can't wait-ness 

#37 Rust

Rust

Slightly Off

• Supporter
  • 48322 posts

Posted 05 November 2017 - 04:20 AM

While Horror Movie isn't my generally preferred cup of tea, I'm intrigued they're going in that direction. Intrigued enough that this movie is on my radar, when the last X-Film I bothered to watch was Deadpool - and prior to that First Class.

Edited by Rust, 05 November 2017 - 04:20 AM.

#38 Dvandom

Dvandom

Purveyor of Ponies. And Physics.

• Supporter
  • 17403 posts

Posted 05 November 2017 - 11:49 AM

Well, trying to make Dani into a Valkyrie would require a fair amount of fiddling since they not only can't use Thor, even if they could the whole Valkyrie thing means something different in the MCU (it's simply an elite force, not choosers of the slain).

---Dave

DAVE'S WEBPAGES
-- www.eyrie.org/~dvandom/BW --
NEWS, REVIEWS and SIGHTINGS
-- www.dvandom.com --
ARTWORK and IMAGES

Pssst...if you
can't see my images,
try my deviantArt!

#39 Caldwin

Caldwin

Boomerang Master

• Supporter
  • 26233 posts
  • Faction::RIBFIR

Posted 05 November 2017 - 01:33 PM

I love that this looks like it might be a Different style film to all the other X-men stuff. Fox got a good idea finally and it seems to be "hey lets not just shit these out because we still have the rights, lets actually try and do good stuff"

I'll give them that. It seems to be a lesson that took them a while to learn, but they do seem to be doing right by the X-Men franchise at least. Probably because it's the last comic team they still have the rights to that people still have any kind of faith at all in them doing at least a decent job with, Apocalypse not withstanding.

I absolutely loved Logan and that seemed like quite a departure from the normal X-Men film. And of course Deadpool made them plenty of $$$.

I think they actually learned a couple lessons...at least as far as the X-Men films go.

1. Don't make a movie just to keep the rights. Actually make a movie that people want to see.

2. An 'R' rating can be a good thing if done right.

It's that second one that amazes me. I mean, it seems like the temptation would be "oh, we're making an R film. We must put as much gore and profanity as humanly possible into every square inch of this thing." And while Deadpool did kinda fall into that and even Logan probably used a few 'f' bombs more than it really needed, the big surprise is that that's not all they relied on. Logan in particular had a hell of a story with a lot of issues they wanted to talk about.

It was in the commentary for Logan and I kinda agree with it. A PG-13 movie is typically all about getting to the action scene. Studio execs may pressure the production team to put flashy things on the screen and keep the pacing going as quickly as possilbe to keep the ADD riddled young audience in their seats.

An R rating, while also allowing for the profanity and gore, it also allowed them to tell the studio execs that, no, we want to slow this down. We may lose some of the ADD inclined viewers, but we're slowing this down and focusing on the characters.

That to me is probably a more effective use of the rating than "Oh wow! Look at all the squibs and cursing!"

*blinks* Hmm, I kinda wandered off the topic of New Mutants there for a moment. Let's see if I can bring it all back together.

As much as horror may not be my cup of tea, I am kinda glad that they're deciding to not churn out more and more super-hero films just to keep the rights to the characters. It shows that they actually do want to do right by these character. So I do want to see this film. Mostly because like I said before...Rahne and Illyana. But I also appreciate that they're learning something that Marvel/Disney themselves haven't seemed to catch onto yet.

People are getting tired of the super-hero genre. They've been churning those movies out non-stop since *checks IMDB for Iron Man* 2008...nearly an entire decade. I'm honestly tired of the Avengers. As much as I love Guardians of the Galaxy, I may pass on the Infinity movie just because I'm getting kinda burned out on the whole super-hero genre. Enough is enough.

Meanwhile Fox is taking their super-hero teams in new directions. Deadpool, a rather raunchy comedy. Logan, a character study driven by themes about life, death and change. New Mutants, a horror movie.

So...bravo, Fox!
PSN = Caldwin

Switch = SW-7457-8143-2029

Mornings are for coffee and contemplation.

Before you do anything you can't undo...National Suicide Prevention Hotline: 1-800-273-8255

#40 ultra magnus13

ultra magnus13

Razzaroo

• Citizen
  • 6891 posts

Posted 05 November 2017 - 02:29 PM

I love that this looks like it might be a Different style film to all the other X-men stuff. Fox got a good idea finally and it seems to be "hey lets not just shit these out because we still have the rights, lets actually try and do good stuff"

I'll give them that. It seems to be a lesson that took them a while to learn, but they do seem to be doing right by the X-Men franchise at least. Probably because it's the last comic team they still have the rights to that people still have any kind of faith at all in them doing at least a decent job with, Apocalypse not withstanding.

I absolutely loved Logan and that seemed like quite a departure from the normal X-Men film. And of course Deadpool made them plenty of $$$.

I think they actually learned a couple lessons...at least as far as the X-Men films go.

1. Don't make a movie just to keep the rights. Actually make a movie that people want to see.

2. An 'R' rating can be a good thing if done right.

It's that second one that amazes me. I mean, it seems like the temptation would be "oh, we're making an R film. We must put as much gore and profanity as humanly possible into every square inch of this thing." And while Deadpool did kinda fall into that and even Logan probably used a few 'f' bombs more than it really needed, the big surprise is that that's not all they relied on. Logan in particular had a hell of a story with a lot of issues they wanted to talk about.

It was in the commentary for Logan and I kinda agree with it. A PG-13 movie is typically all about getting to the action scene. Studio execs may pressure the production team to put flashy things on the screen and keep the pacing going as quickly as possilbe to keep the ADD riddled young audience in their seats.

An R rating, while also allowing for the profanity and gore, it also allowed them to tell the studio execs that, no, we want to slow this down. We may lose some of the ADD inclined viewers, but we're slowing this down and focusing on the characters.

That to me is probably a more effective use of the rating than "Oh wow! Look at all the squibs and cursing!"

*blinks* Hmm, I kinda wandered off the topic of New Mutants there for a moment. Let's see if I can bring it all back together.

As much as horror may not be my cup of tea, I am kinda glad that they're deciding to not churn out more and more super-hero films just to keep the rights to the characters. It shows that they actually do want to do right by these character. So I do want to see this film. Mostly because like I said before...Rahne and Illyana. But I also appreciate that they're learning something that Marvel/Disney themselves haven't seemed to catch onto yet.

People are getting tired of the super-hero genre. They've been churning those movies out non-stop since *checks IMDB for Iron Man* 2008...nearly an entire decade. I'm honestly tired of the Avengers. As much as I love Guardians of the Galaxy, I may pass on the Infinity movie just because I'm getting kinda burned out on the whole super-hero genre. Enough is enough.

Meanwhile Fox is taking their super-hero teams in new directions. Deadpool, a rather raunchy comedy. Logan, a character study driven by themes about life, death and change. New Mutants, a horror movie.

So...bravo, Fox!

Considering pretty much every MCU release near or after Logan has out performed it, and most post Deadpool MCU releases have out performed it, I'd say no, people are not getting tired of them. I'm glad Fox has started turing out some pretty good stuff with Logan, Deadpool and DoFP, but Apocalypse took a dump on there streak, and I'm back to expecting about a 30%-40% chance of Foxs Marvel based output being good.
I finally got rid of that big white box.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users