Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  Echowarrior : (20 February 2020 - 06:39 PM)

Let me go-o-o-o!

@  Telly : (20 February 2020 - 05:41 PM)

Galileo Galileo!

@  PlutoniumBoss : (20 February 2020 - 05:36 PM)

Very very fright-ning me!

@  Sabrblade : (20 February 2020 - 04:02 PM)

*thunder and lightning*

@  ▲ndrusi : (20 February 2020 - 03:46 PM)

Ah, ah, ah!

@  PlutoniumBoss : (20 February 2020 - 03:33 PM)

Already did. It didn't take long.

@  Dekafox : (19 February 2020 - 06:14 PM)

Count Zero?

@  TheMightyMol... : (19 February 2020 - 03:53 PM)

Oh boy, here we go.

@  ▲ndrusi : (19 February 2020 - 02:34 PM)

Or do Japan's cultural values vary depending on exactly who you're trying to shut down?

@  ▲ndrusi : (19 February 2020 - 02:33 PM)

Could it be that, perhaps, these different cultural values might lead to a different approach seeming appropriate?

@  ▲ndrusi : (19 February 2020 - 02:32 PM)

Hm. Back when we were arguing about the Legends comic, I seem to recall being repeatedly told that Japan had different cultural values than the US (and therefore anyone who had a problem with anything at all was wrong to voice that opinion ever).

@  fourteenwings : (19 February 2020 - 07:23 AM)

Plus, as much as I hate to admit it, every single anime character is built to suit the audience's tastes so they buy more merch/do other things that allow $$$ to flow in the production committees direction, so the authenticity is certainly not for representation's sake.

@  fourteenwings : (19 February 2020 - 07:18 AM)

Both those anime air at midnight and are aimed at a very specific audience in a whole other media landscape. Major projects have press releases about almost everything, and there are groups just waiting to pat anybody on the back for doing what they want (GLAAD, HRC, etc)

@  B-Fox : (19 February 2020 - 03:16 AM)

It's funny that a friggin' anime about zombie idols and an anime about a school of anthropomorphic animals can have really positive trans characters WITHOUT a press release about their inclusion in the series prior to the episodes airing or having the creators announcing it on social media and patting themselves on the back for doing a thing.

@  TriBlurr : (18 February 2020 - 10:26 PM)

Vegan meat needs bacon

@  Paladin : (18 February 2020 - 08:43 PM)

vegan meat must taste delicious. they're grass-fed and regularly exercised....

@  wonko the sane? : (18 February 2020 - 06:57 PM)

Vegans are better than kids if you don't talk to them. They'll keep the lawn trimmed anyway.

@  TheMightyMol... : (18 February 2020 - 06:02 PM)

Do you want vegans? Because that's how you get vegans.

@  CORVUS : (18 February 2020 - 04:33 PM)

Hook up your sprinkler system to a canister of healthy organic carrot-juice. The kids won't be able to get off your lawn fast enough.

@  TheMightyMol... : (18 February 2020 - 03:59 PM)

Just use the hose.

@  wonko the sane? : (18 February 2020 - 03:52 PM)

Ask bing. It'll be a FAR more effective answer.

@  TrnsfrmGod : (18 February 2020 - 03:26 PM)

Google, how do I get those durned kids off my lawn?

@  TrnsfrmGod : (18 February 2020 - 03:26 PM)

Please ignore.  Old man here apparently doesn't know the difference between the "Search" field and the "Shoutbox" field.

Also doesn't know how to delete from the shoutbox

@  wonko the sane? : (18 February 2020 - 07:33 AM)

Huhn. Penny arcade was right, the division 2 is literally 3 dollars...

@  Steevy Maximus : (17 February 2020 - 11:05 PM)

Oh, Wicked Cool Toys got the Halo toy license. This is a big year for Jazwares

@  Steevy Maximus : (17 February 2020 - 07:02 PM)

iTunes/Apple TV has the complete Cowboy Bebop series for just $5!

@  fourteenwings : (17 February 2020 - 12:41 AM)

The Samsung Galaxy B-TOOM!

@  Paladin : (16 February 2020 - 07:20 PM)

business is booming.

@  wonko the sane? : (16 February 2020 - 06:49 PM)

SAmsung has you covered. Exploding phones.

@  Patch : (16 February 2020 - 05:21 PM)

Modern problems require modern solutions.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (16 February 2020 - 05:21 PM)

Japan seems to have a tradition of murder things where cellphones facilitate the killing instead. Like King's Game and Doubt.

@  TheMightyMol... : (16 February 2020 - 05:17 PM)

Or there's just conveniently no reception, or all of their phones are dead at the same time. Or they're just stupid and forget about them.

@  Patch : (16 February 2020 - 04:41 PM)

Now the slasher villain has to go and knock over the nearest cell tower before butchering horny teenagers.

@  TheMightyMol... : (16 February 2020 - 03:54 PM)

Think of all the horror and mystery movies that involve the bad guys cutting the phone line. Now think about how many people don't even have a land line to cut anymore.

@  Telly : (16 February 2020 - 03:47 PM)

its like that scene in commando. the bad guy has to get to a phone to call the big bad to tell him arnold isnt on the plane. that wouldnt happen today

@  Rycochet : (16 February 2020 - 03:18 PM)

Watching early episodes of the x-files will make you feel super old once you start to notice the techology they use, and the technology they lack.

@  Maximus Ambus : (16 February 2020 - 01:00 PM)

This guy.

@  Roddie Luver : (15 February 2020 - 10:55 PM)

Hey

@  Kalidor : (14 February 2020 - 03:01 PM)

The ones that get me are the "Uploaded 12 years ago" ones

@  TheMightyMol... : (14 February 2020 - 02:49 PM)

Makes you feel old, don't it?

@  Maximus Ambus : (14 February 2020 - 02:38 PM)

While browsing Youtube vids I read these comments: 'The X Files is such an underrated show' and another 'Brent Spiner is a underrated actor' I want to punch something.

@  wonko the sane? : (14 February 2020 - 12:16 PM)

Besides: cupid freaks me out. "Find someone to love, or I'll SHOOT YOU".

@  TheMightyMol... : (14 February 2020 - 12:11 PM)

It's just the day before Cheap Chocolate Day.

@  wonko the sane? : (14 February 2020 - 12:08 PM)

Meh, just more game time.

@  Paladin : (14 February 2020 - 10:55 AM)

Valentine's day. Bummer.

@  Otaku : (14 February 2020 - 10:41 AM)

So is that an occasion for congratulations or condolences, Telly?  I see it as a good thing, but that is a matter of personal preference; easier for me to keep straight who is who when the names don't change. XP

@  Telly : (14 February 2020 - 12:48 AM)

damn. ive been going by "telly" on here for nearly 14 years...

@  TM2-Megatron : (11 February 2020 - 08:06 PM)

I've seen it. It didn't really deliver on the title

@  Paladin : (11 February 2020 - 05:28 PM)

we don't need to see that. we're living it.

@  Maximus Ambus : (11 February 2020 - 03:42 PM)

Anyone seen an old British movie called 'The Earth dies screaming' it's like a Doctor Who serial minus the Doctor.

Photo
- - - - -

Its October and its time to get a little scared whats on your watch list this month?

movies halloween horror

73 replies to this topic

#41 Spark

Spark
  • Citizen
  • 39309 posts

Posted 17 October 2017 - 04:53 PM

WNUF Halloween Special.

Fall of Cybertron will blow your mind. That is all.

#42 Noideaforaname

Noideaforaname

Spooking Anybody

• Citizen
  • 2857 posts

Posted 17 October 2017 - 08:31 PM

Halloween is Grinch Night!

or

FQNCMJ5.gif

"It's a wonderful night for eyebrows."

y8s7EtF.gif

Edited by Noideaforaname, 17 October 2017 - 08:59 PM.

#43 Dracula

Dracula

IT'S MYSTERIOUS PARTY WITH DRACULA

• Retired Staff
  • 4745 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 17 October 2017 - 09:17 PM

WNUF Halloween Special.

I have been wanting to watch this for years but it's tough to track this movie down!

5140629382_7d653c135f.jpg

ALL OF TREASURES

#44 Spark

Spark
  • Citizen
  • 39309 posts

Posted 18 October 2017 - 08:59 AM

I got my copy from Alternative Cinema.  It's got a metric ton of extras, too.  I love that thing.

#45 Shadewing

Shadewing

Artichoke of Misery

• Supporter
  • 36574 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 18 October 2017 - 09:30 AM

So I've always been a big fan of the Child's Play/Chucky series, however after the atrocity that was 'Seed of Chucky' I've not watched Curse of Chucky (despite owning it for completionism) Till this week, when I noticed Netflix also had 'Cult of Chucky'. And both of these movies are great, Curse being more a straight up return to Horror, with little focus on Chucky till the very end; and Cult is a bit more of a typical Chucky movie, with having more focus on Chucky and some really nice kills (Probably has my favorite in the whole franchise), and a few great lines and some rather dark humor. It's also really beautifully shot with some great scene transitions. 

I'd thought Curse was a reboot, since Chucky is in his 'normal' body vs the scared version of the previous films before it; but no it gets revealed that it is a sequel and Cult follows up on it, by involving all three 'main' humans from the series (Andy from the Child's play trilogy (played by the original actor), Tiffiny from Bride and Seed, and Nica from Curse, and a cameo by Kyle (again played by the same actress) from CP2 as well.)

I'm honestly very eager to see where they go from Curse, as their is a ton of potential and interesting storylines that can be explored. 

---

Now another one that's really good that I watched last night, and might be good for Vid's stream: The Babysitter. Its a teen horror movie, with some great villains. Basically 12 yo Cole has to deal with over-protective parents, bullies, and the fact that he's still the only kid at his school that has a babysitter. Though he doesn't mind the latter as Bee is his dream girl a cool, and kinda geeky girl that he always has fun with. Until his neighbor suggests finding out what she really does once he goes to sleep... Which is get involved in satanic rituals. Its got gore, but the movie mostly focuses on being fun and Cole's creativity in trying to survive the night. Three of the villains are really fun; Bee, John, and The Jock (I can't remember his name atm) all have a lot of good moments that make them actually interesting beyond being killers, the others just kinda seem to be there.

3DS Friend Code: 0387-9040-3532

Twitch Channel

Youtube Replays

VOTE for what I play on 8/30!

Friday: Sonic Generations - Sunday: Transformers WFC - Tuesday: Little Inferno

#46 Spark

Spark
  • Citizen
  • 39309 posts

Posted 18 October 2017 - 10:31 AM

I thought the Babysitter was pretty bad with some really good moments, but I think we have very different horror tastes.

#47 Shadewing

Shadewing

Artichoke of Misery

• Supporter
  • 36574 posts

Posted 18 October 2017 - 10:36 AM

The Babysitter is less straight Horror, and more a 'coming of age' movie with horror elements. 

LIke the Jock, despite being an antagonist, he's pretty much the the 'Big Brother' type character you see in these normal CoA.

One of my favorite bits:

Spoiler

There are a several bits like that between them, where it feels like the Jock honestly kinda likes and respects Cole, but he's still a killer. Any other movie, he'd be the cool older brother figure that gets the kid to stop being a coward. He oddly ends up being my favorite character in this movie.

Edited by Shadewing, 18 October 2017 - 10:52 AM.

Twitch Channel

Youtube Replays

#48 Spark

Spark
  • Citizen
  • 39309 posts

Posted 18 October 2017 - 10:45 AM

That's accurate.  It also plays like a bunch of commercials or kind of hyperactive vignettes tacked together than a solid story, which was my main complaint.  The bit with the jock guy and the bully egging the house was great, though.  "This is AMERICA.  YOU GO WRECK. HIS.  ASS."

#49 Mako Crab

Mako Crab
  • Citizen
  • 3651 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 18 October 2017 - 12:00 PM

It's been a lot harder getting to our marathon this year, with a 1-year-old running around. By the time we have any free time, there's always other things to do or we're both tired & don't feel like plugging in a movie. And, of course, we don't want him seeing many of the things on our list. But we have managed to plug in a handful of Halloween specials while he's awake!

Garfield's Halloween Adventure- required viewing every year for us.
Berenstain Bears Trick or Treat- we'd never seen this one, but it's a good addition to the list.
Halloween is Grinch Night- waste of time. Has nothing to do with anything. Stick with the Christmas special.
MLP: FIM: Scare Master- a fun Halloween special about Fluttershy.
TFA:'Along Came a Spider

Did manage to sneak in one horror flick while our kid was sleeping.
Friday the 13th (2009 reboot)- still holds up. Good fun. Easily the best of the 1980s slasher reboots.

Edited by Mako Crab, 18 October 2017 - 02:16 PM.

#50 bigbot69

bigbot69

Back and slightly less angry...kinda

• Citizen
  • 1403 posts

Posted 18 October 2017 - 02:54 PM

I watched Friday 13th (2009) last night, been meaning too for ages.

Good set up, nice 'ages of Jason' thing going, but overall it  just finished weak for me and left me wanting to watch the originals.

It's a Newcomic (apparently)

#51 Mako Crab

Mako Crab
  • Citizen
  • 3651 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 18 October 2017 - 03:25 PM

Yeah, I liked pretty much everything except that lame sequel bait ending.

For the record- most of the Paramount Jason flicks didn't have sequel bait endings. It was like each one was meant to be the final one. Mostly.

#52 Spark

Spark
  • Citizen
  • 39309 posts

Posted 18 October 2017 - 03:50 PM

The first eight Friday the 13th movies are all decent in one way or another.  Although I don't think any of them have the just raw "eerie/scary" feel and look of the original Halloween (not the sequels, just the first one).  And then New Line got their hands on Jason and the series really did turn into the garbage critics always said it was since the start.

#53 Shadewing

Shadewing

Artichoke of Misery

• Supporter
  • 36574 posts

Posted 18 October 2017 - 03:57 PM

The first eight Friday the 13th movies are all decent in one way or another.  Although I don't think any of them have the just raw "eerie/scary" feel and look of the original Halloween (not the sequels, just the first one).  And then New Line got their hands on Jason and the series really did turn into the garbage critics always said it was since the start.

But without New Line we wouldn't know that Jason just wanted he machete back!

Twitch Channel

Youtube Replays

#54 Spark

Spark
  • Citizen
  • 39309 posts

Posted 18 October 2017 - 04:30 PM

...God, that thing still looks like an Asylum movie.

#55 Shadewing

Shadewing

Artichoke of Misery

• Supporter
  • 36574 posts

Posted 19 October 2017 - 03:59 AM

So In my late night Horror movie watching, I decided to check out Netflix's Death Note, as I deeply love the anime.

Overall, I like this movie. Its an adaptation, not a 1:1 recreation and I think what it does, it does competently. Its not as good as the source material, but few adaptations ever are; but I do feel people are being harsher on this film then they should be. Even the creator of the franchise talked positively about how the film follows the series enough while still being its own thing to try and appeal to a larger audience, and I feel that's a big positive.  There's a lot of little things that I end up liking, like L. The actor I feel does a really nice job of capturing alot of his eccentricities. Ryuk is EASILY the best part of the whole thing, but then Dafoe is just amazing as the types of characters and you can tell he's having fun with the role. I also kinda like they they didn't defualt to just heart attacks for the victims, it shows a bit more creativity and gives some nice interesting death scenes. 

The only thing I really have an issue with, more or less, is Light. Well, until the very end. They tried to make Light TOO sympathetic and push Kira's worse traits onto Mia. On one hand this kinda makes sense, but on another it kinda weakens him as a character and the film overall becuase of it. Since for me, and probably many others, his darker side is part of his appeal as he balances what needs to be done with his sense of justice. This also ends up kinda removing a lot of the interaction between him and L, which further weakens the movie imo. There's just not really enough substance to the cat and mouse game because Light isn't the 'villain' L is wanting, and Light doesn't really retaliate against him. Light does 'redeem' himself to me in the final moments, where he really reveals the cunning chessmaster the character should be, but is otherwise mostly lacking in the rest of the film. Had we seen more of THAT Light, I think things could have been more interesting and maybe more people might have ended up liking it.. 

It's could be better, but then its also nowhere near the level of something like Dragonball: Evolution or the like which it feels like everyone that dislkes it treats it as. This film still follows all the key elements of the series, and still mostly keeps characters intact and ideas intact. It makes changes that have to be changed when dealing with a different culture while still exploring the same themes and ideas as best they can for about 2 hours. Its not changing everything or being disrepectiful to the source of the creator like DBE did, which again makes it at the very least a competent decent adaptation. 

I'm probably in the minority, but I kinda do actually want to see a sequel. I think there is potential here that can be built on, and maybe improved if allowed to go further. They got a good cast, they got a good director, they just need to tighten their grasp on some of the characters and maybe have Light venture more into the realm of anti-hero and show off his cunning more now that he seems to have embraced his role as Kira. 

Twitch Channel

Youtube Replays

#56 Dracula

Dracula

• Retired Staff
  • 4745 posts

Posted 19 October 2017 - 07:57 AM

I think Jason X is underrated, but Jason Goes to Hell is indefensible.

At least Takes Manhattan MOSTLY feels like Jason belongs in it

ALL OF TREASURES

#57 Spark

Spark
  • Citizen
  • 39309 posts

Posted 19 October 2017 - 09:39 AM

Jason Takes Manhattan feels cheap, but it doesn't feel like a parody.  Jason X is completely a parody.  Jason Goes to Hell is just... garbage.

#58 tec

tec

Everyone needs a spacehip bunny

• Supporter
  • 31769 posts
  • Faction::Lesbian Ninja

Posted 19 October 2017 - 09:53 AM

Wow I remember back with Jason goes to hell came out everybody loved it guess times not been kind to it

Jason X was fun because me and a friend where the only 2 people in the theater and we gave it the MST3K treatment of rifting the entire time

Visit my store! Vintage toys (SW/ST/TFs Collectables)

www.vintagenerdvana.com

Wait. Wait, wait, wait. Are you telling me that tec has a job? I thought his sole reasons for existence are cheesecake and horrible grammar.-Shadowman024

#59 Spark

Spark
  • Citizen
  • 39309 posts

Posted 19 October 2017 - 10:18 AM

I saw Jason X at a drive-in theater, which is about the only place appropriate for it.

#60 Dracula

Dracula

• Retired Staff
  • 4745 posts

Posted 19 October 2017 - 10:44 AM

Yeah I agree with all that.

ALL OF TREASURES

Reply to this topic

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: movies, halloween, horror