Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  Waspinator : (17 December 2018 - 12:29 AM)

I'd say it's more of a crushing sensation than a sucking one.

@  wonko the sane? : (16 December 2018 - 09:57 PM)

Whole heartedly agree.

@  Paladin : (16 December 2018 - 07:22 PM)

migraines suck.

@  TM2-Megatron : (16 December 2018 - 04:39 PM)

They may have had it earlier than that; Risa uses weather control tech to maintain its resort-style climate, and it was shown to already be established in the late 22nd century

@  wonko the sane? : (16 December 2018 - 03:13 PM)

By next gen they had weather control on earth, and were even in the process of upgrading the geologic stability network. So yeah: habitat maintenance on the next level.

@  TheMightyMol... : (16 December 2018 - 02:51 PM)

Something something invert polarity something technobabble something.

@  TM2-Megatron : (16 December 2018 - 02:38 PM)

I imagine World War III managed to decimate enough of the industrial economies that they inadvertently managed to exceed their carbon reduction targets from the Paris Accords, and then by the time Earth got back on its feet after the development of warp drive and first contact with the Vulcans, electricity was able to be generated cleanly and much more efficiently

@  The Doctor Who : (16 December 2018 - 01:48 PM)

I mean, they have futuristic weather control satellites and everything, I would imagine that global warming is a thing of the past in Trek.

@  unluckiness : (16 December 2018 - 09:39 AM)

How's that unrealistic? Not even the ocean wants it.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (16 December 2018 - 01:35 AM)

The most unrealistic thing (from a U.S. perspective) is that Florida isn't underwater!

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (16 December 2018 - 01:35 AM)

I was reminded today of a funny thing about Star Trek:

@  Pennpenn : (15 December 2018 - 09:58 PM)

Whatever they can sell it for?

@  Steevy Maximus : (15 December 2018 - 09:48 PM)

Geez, WTF do those China sellers on eBay need my phone number for?

@  Pennpenn : (15 December 2018 - 09:44 PM)

Does the PotP voyager Starscream's chest stick out so far in combiner torso mode? It's kinda weird how much Elita Infinite's back seems so empty up top but very... protruding lower down.

@  Pennpenn : (15 December 2018 - 01:26 AM)

Trying to fit Elita One's combiner head back into her torso is a pain in the arse (and not just because her torso becomes her arse in combiner torso mode)

@  RichardT1977 : (14 December 2018 - 10:04 PM)

Power corrupts and corruption empowers.

@  Echowarrior : (14 December 2018 - 07:10 PM)

Welcome to real life...at least until enough people get fed up and they break out the guillotines.

@  Pennpenn : (14 December 2018 - 06:58 PM)

It's almost as if the people with the most money have funneled money into making the systems of government and law serve their purposes in retaining their wealth, no matter how harmful, counterintuitive, or just flat out evil they have to be. Huh.

@  Rycochet : (14 December 2018 - 02:49 PM)

https://www.motherjones.com/media/2015/10/mother-jones-vandersloot-melaleuca-lawsuit/

@  Rycochet : (14 December 2018 - 02:45 PM)

Some states have laws against that, but they're in a tiny minority. There are plenty of cases where rich people have gone after journalists and their employers for accurate reporting, lost, but still left their targets saddled with hundreds of thousands ofdollars in legal fees and no hope of recovering anyof the money because a partisan judge has decreed that while they're innocent, they're not innocent enough.

@  Rycochet : (14 December 2018 - 02:43 PM)

The american system is as bad, there are plenty of cases of billionaires or corporations filing libel suits purely to kill reporting or activisim against their activities. SLAPP suits. Strategic Lawsuits against public participation.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (14 December 2018 - 12:48 PM)

e.g. British libel laws place the burden of proof on the accuser, which is how we wind up with Emirati billionaires suing Western journalists in British courts

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (14 December 2018 - 12:46 PM)

Never visited the UK in my life, but reading about British laws in the news gives me the vibe that British culture inherently protects the wealthy and established.

@  Anonymous X : (14 December 2018 - 12:39 PM)

Sounds a lot better than labour law in the UK. It's bare minimum standards here, you don't get any employment rights as such in the first two years of employment (and the employer can arbitrarily reset the clock). Unions are limited to a few public sector professions as well; in the private sector, there basically aren't any unions.

@  Nevermore : (13 December 2018 - 07:25 PM)

Bonus points if your company has a works council. The employer is required by law to hear the works council prior to giving you your termination. The works council cannot prevent your termination if the employer really insists on going through with it, but if the employer failed to hear the works council, didn't wait for the works council to respond, or failed to tell the works council *all* the relevant details, the termination is legally invalid due to a technicality.

@  Nevermore : (13 December 2018 - 07:23 PM)

The employer has to tell you the reason for your termination if you explicitly ask for it, and if you can prove the reason is factually incorrect, the employer may lose the case.

@  Nevermore : (13 December 2018 - 07:21 PM)

For all its flaws, I really like a lot about our German labor law. Here, if you're under a permanent contract and have been continually employed for over six months, employers can only fire you for reasons that fall into one of three categories defined by law, and the burden of proof is on the employer's side in a potential court case.

@  Paladin : (13 December 2018 - 05:38 PM)

in brightest day or blackest night?

@  Bass X0 : (13 December 2018 - 05:25 PM)

Finally we get a Greenlight toy.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (13 December 2018 - 04:58 PM)

See.. In America they would just fire you for having the wrong color shoes on or some BS reason.

@  Nevermore : (13 December 2018 - 07:13 AM)

And hey, in addition to the clocked extra hours, I earned an additional 50% overtime bonus.

@  Nevermore : (13 December 2018 - 07:12 AM)

This past Saturday, in full expectance of a strike this week, I worked a full extra shift. They assigned me and some of the other volunteers to a totally pointless task, while some ladies were seriously sweeping the floor. When asked how long I was planning to stay, I smiled and said "a full shift!"

@  Nevermore : (13 December 2018 - 07:10 AM)

"You were asking for volunteers, right? I'm staying." - "But we have no more work for you!" - "I don't see how that's *my* problem..."

@  Nevermore : (13 December 2018 - 07:10 AM)

It's possible to use that to troll the employer a little, though... Once they allow voluntary overtime, they cannot backtrack from that. So once you notice you're rapidly running out of work, you just decide to do overtime out of spite.

@  Nevermore : (13 December 2018 - 07:08 AM)

Now if there's *no* strike... people eventually run out of work.

@  Nevermore : (13 December 2018 - 07:07 AM)

Amazon is prepared for strikes... they just hire way too many people for the Christmas season. If there's a strike, they still have enough (albeit inexperienced) workers.

@  Steevy Maximus : (12 December 2018 - 07:49 PM)

Not one bit :p

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (12 December 2018 - 06:46 PM)

@Steevy Did you read TM2's post? "Amazon.de".

@  Paladin : (12 December 2018 - 06:37 PM)

just wait until the European economy collapses up its Brexit-shaped asshole.

@  TM2-Megatron : (12 December 2018 - 06:22 PM)

Probably not a ton of people, no. Although I'd say I order from one European Amazon site once every month or two, myself. Usually UK, but sometimes Germany as well. France and Italy a couple times, too. There are some good Blu-Ray releases that are exclusive to Europe

@  Steevy Maximus : (12 December 2018 - 06:00 PM)

I'm not sure a European strike is going to impact North American customers.

@  TM2-Megatron : (12 December 2018 - 04:13 PM)

Well, somebody must've been working 'cuz I had an order in with Amazon.de that got shipped out the other day

@  Echowarrior : (12 December 2018 - 01:29 PM)

Amazon.

@  Benbot : (12 December 2018 - 01:01 PM)

AOL?

@  Nevermore : (11 December 2018 - 08:22 PM)

Also, strike has been extended. So no working for 50 minutes. Would have been fun, though.

@  Nevermore : (11 December 2018 - 08:21 PM)

I said numerous times already that I work at that big American corporation that begins with "A".

@  Waspinator : (11 December 2018 - 07:21 PM)

Preferably the equivalent of Lara Croft or Indiana Jones a thousand years from now

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (11 December 2018 - 02:26 PM)

The turkeys... The answer is always the Turkeys.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (11 December 2018 - 02:05 PM)

Who would be the heroes in this situation?

@  Waspinator : (11 December 2018 - 02:03 PM)

When I die, I want my body to be part of a puzzle solution. Like, have my skeleton pointing at the clue the heroes are supposed to find.

Photo
- - - - -

Walmart getting first dibs? Not allowing preorders for other stores until they got it first?

50 replies to this topic

#1 Nevermore

Nevermore

Unionized and proud of it.

• Supporter
  • 12391 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 07 October 2017 - 05:45 AM

So there's been a rumor floating around at a certain other board, which matches certain bizarre patterns observed at various online retailers and is further corroborated by the former (?) owner of an online store who keeps complaining about how frustrating dealing with Hasbro was.

The classic line of argument when it comes to toy retail is that "Hasbro cannot force retailers to stock toys". So basically, Hasbro produces the toys, solicits them to retailers, and everything from that point on is up to the retailers. Hasbro ships out the toys and has no control of distribution beyond that.

But in the past two or so years, there have been numerous incidents where toys that had been announced by Hasbro wouldn't be listed for preorder by any online retailers for months to come. Any argument that it's all up to retailers goes out of the window when retailers who want to order new toys cannot do so because there are no solicits yet. These toys would then sometimes come out in Asia, might be listed by online retailers based out of Asia, but still, the "major" online retailers like Amazon, BBTS, Entertainment Earth, ToyWiz or TFSource wouldn't put up listings for these figures up until a specific date.

Particularly bizarre variations of this pattern were:
- Online retailers would put up instant "in stock" listings for general retail waves, meaning they had already received shipments of these figures but were not allowed to list them on their public website. So no preorders. And I'm not talking about "wave 1 of a movie line with a street date". I'm talking about stuff like "wave 4/5/6 in a Generations sub-line or an RID assortment".
- Online retailers would collectively put up their preorder listings after those waves had already been found at brick and mortar retail, so any advantage online retailers might have over brick and mortar stores in terms of early availability would be out of the window.

Now, the rumor, corroborated by this former online store owner, is that Walmart had specifically given Hasbro orders that Walmart absolutely has to get first dibs on new Transformers product before anyone else was to be allowed to put up a public listing. And if Walmart has no room for these new toys, then that's too bad because it means the online retailers have to wait in line.

This certainly fits in with the recent news story that Hasbro and Mattel are supporting TRU despite its financial problems because the alternative would be that Walmart and Amazon get to dominate the market even more than they already do.

I know that brick and mortar retail has trouble competing with the (seemingly) endless storage space of online retailers, and I agree that online retailers have several unfair advantages over physical stores, but "you don't get new stuff before we do" can't be the answer either, since that would be an unfair advantage of its own, especially if it's really just one store doing it.

Is any of this grounded in reality? Is it just scuttlebutt? If so, then why do the aforementioned weird-ass preorder policies with instant "in stock" listings and brick and mortar stores getting new toys before Amazon, BBTS or EE can even start taking preorders happen?

Edited by Nevermore, 07 October 2017 - 05:54 AM.

"'[Foreigners] at least need to be able to speak proper German.' Okay, what the hell is that supposed to be? Proper German'? Where do they speak that? Have you ever been there? Are you German? Can you engage in a conversation in a Swabian pub? Most people from Cologne already fail at asking for directions in the Eifel region."
- Volker Pispers, German comedian

#2 SHIELD Agent 47

SHIELD Agent 47

Skull Leader

• Retired Staff
  • 8354 posts

Posted 07 October 2017 - 05:48 AM

(I am not a lawyer.)

This sounds disturbingly anticompetitive especially for a U.S.-based company, but frankly the more I think about it, the more plausible it seems.
遊び終わ。- ブレラ・スターン少佐西暦2059年

Visit the Transformers Wiki and the IDW Hasbro Wiki!

#3 NotVeryKnightly

NotVeryKnightly
  • Staff
  • 20885 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 07 October 2017 - 05:54 AM

If it really is Walmart specifically behind this, then "[manufacturer] cannot force retailers" still holds true.

#4 Nevermore

Nevermore

• Supporter
  • 12391 posts

Posted 07 October 2017 - 05:57 AM

If it really is Walmart specifically behind this, then "[manufacturer] cannot force retailers" still holds true.

No, but in that case Hasbro won't let them (i.e. Walmart's competition) do it either. There's a difference between "I can do it if I want but I don't have to" and "I would like to do it but I'm not allowed to".

Edited by Nevermore, 07 October 2017 - 05:58 AM.

"'[Foreigners] at least need to be able to speak proper German.' Okay, what the hell is that supposed to be? Proper German'? Where do they speak that? Have you ever been there? Are you German? Can you engage in a conversation in a Swabian pub? Most people from Cologne already fail at asking for directions in the Eifel region."

#5 MrBlud

MrBlud

Goes down smooth...

• Retired Staff
  • 51334 posts
  • Faction::RIBFIR

Posted 07 October 2017 - 06:41 AM

It would certainly fit with Walmart's ethos.

And it's not like Hasbro can really say no for fear of Walmart just refusing to stock Transformers.

card-strongarm.jpg

#6 NightViper

NightViper

Ehhhhh...

• Retired Staff
  • 41696 posts

Posted 07 October 2017 - 06:57 AM

*Grumble grumble* Walmart already not stocking new Transformers for the past 4 or 5 months *grumble grumble*.

While I can't say anything in regards to Walmart specifically, I do know that Hasbro have been making deals with particular retailers for "first dibs". I heard it through other retailers not getting "dibs" and were subsequently complaining about it. 

We probably will see more online stores importing special items (like the Clone two-pack being sold way back in June/July but just now reaching the North America market through official channels) from the Asia and other markets rather than wait for orders from Hasbro US.

#7 LV!

LV!

A tendency to speak in jest

• Citizen
  • 16155 posts

Posted 07 October 2017 - 08:50 AM

I don't know how Hasbro could have any way of knowing Walmart had toys in their retail stores and therefore it was okay to let other people sell them. I don't know how Walmart could have any way of knowing Walmart had toys in their retail stores and therefore they didn't have to get mad that other people were putting them up for sale. Furthermore, I can't imagine Walmart caring enough to pay someone to track dozens of price points/SKUs of product, both in their own stores and on every online store, to make sure no one was selling them first.

This doesn't sound like something without a kernel of truth to it, but whatever that truth is ("online retailers have been given on-sale dates for product they already received" is a verifiable fact) this is clearly the Internet Conspiracy Engine version of it.

#8 NightViper

NightViper

Ehhhhh...

• Retired Staff
  • 41696 posts

Posted 07 October 2017 - 09:11 AM

I doubt it would be relying on any amount of tracking. It'd be more "don't sell this assortment until Walmart has a CHANCE to stock them" and hoping the toys make it to brick and mortar before the online street date.

So creating an extra buffered lead time rather than watching the actual progression of toys getting to stores. Which as you say is kinda impossible logistics.

Edited by NightViper, 07 October 2017 - 09:48 AM.

#9 Shrug

Shrug

scoot scoot

• Citizen
  • 973 posts
  • Faction::Decepticon

Posted 07 October 2017 - 09:18 AM

Yeah, I doubt it's any kind of stock tracking. It's definitely more Walmart has X number of weeks to sell an item before other retailers get to.

I'm pretty sure we saw it in action with TLK Hot Rod. (and not just Walmart backing out of that exclusive deal) Walmart was so incredibly slow to get their own timed exclusive to customers that other retailers started listing it on their websites the same day Walmart actuslly started selling them online.

#10 LV!

LV!

• Citizen
  • 16155 posts

Posted 07 October 2017 - 10:26 AM

It is also difficult for me to believe Walmart would make these broad declarations about multiple sizes of TF product because it seems clear they have neither the capability nor the interest to make sure product is on shelves by a certain date, and they don't make most of it available online, so how would they ever think they'd benefit from a capricious "you can't sell this until we've had a chance" unless that date was, like, months later than product starting shipping from Hasbro?

I guess you'd have to ask retailers what the greatest time between their reception of stock and clearance to sell it has been - which I doubt anyone is allowed to say.

#11 MrBlud

MrBlud

Goes down smooth...

• Retired Staff
  • 51334 posts

Posted 07 October 2017 - 01:04 PM

They could just be throwing their weight around.

card-strongarm.jpg

#12 NICK NEMESIS

NICK NEMESIS

Www.scatterville.com

• Supporter
  • 16443 posts

Posted 07 October 2017 - 01:51 PM

Yeah, it has nothing to do with what makes sense.

They do not make sense.
Http://www.scatterville.com

#13 LV!

LV!

• Citizen
  • 16155 posts

Posted 07 October 2017 - 02:35 PM

I guess if your belief in whether someone is doing something doesn't have to make sense, it's difficult to construct an argument against.

#14 The Predaking

The Predaking

Finally! A new Predaking is here!

• Staff
  • 38522 posts
  • Faction::Predacon

Posted 07 October 2017 - 02:40 PM

It would certainly fit with Walmart's ethos.

And it's not like Hasbro can really say no for fear of Walmart just refusing to stock Transformers.

Are you sure that they aren't doing that now? 

They have those crappy transforming cars taking up more shelf space than Titan Returns has at my local stores. 

Restoring an Old Arcade Machine!

http://www.allspark....ade-game/page-2

#15 Superomegaprime

Superomegaprime
  • Citizen
  • 2612 posts

Posted 07 October 2017 - 04:25 PM

They could just be throwing their weight around.

Sounds like that, also its pretty much cooperate greed with the bottomline being how much $$$ they can make.

36428543702_ff3b1fc457_m.jpg

#16 MrBlud

MrBlud

Goes down smooth...

• Retired Staff
  • 51334 posts

Posted 07 October 2017 - 05:35 PM

I guess if your belief in whether someone is doing something doesn't have to make sense, it's difficult to construct an argument against.

Walmart has a well documented history of bullying suppliers.

Granted, that's usually for some kind of direct financial benefit that seems absent here but I don't think it's wholly unbelievable either.

card-strongarm.jpg

#17 Blacknife

Blacknife

Never heard of it; never will

• Citizen
  • 5736 posts

Posted 07 October 2017 - 07:44 PM

At least here in Nebraska, someone could switch out Target for Walmart.

#18 Dake

Dake

Resident resident

• Supporter
  • 18508 posts

Posted 07 October 2017 - 08:03 PM

Walmart has a well documented history of bullying suppliers.

Granted, that's usually for some kind of direct financial benefit that seems absent here but I don't think it's wholly unbelievable either.

This was my first thought. They regularly strongarm suppliers to obtain lower costs, better deals or exclusive privileges. It's the blessing and the curse for sure.

In this case, the financial benefit (if they can get their heads out of their collective arsses and actually distribute something) is they get to earn the earliest sales to the market and theoretically by the time something shows up at a competitor it's a peg-warmer.

8ZSy6aw.jpg

#19 NICK NEMESIS

NICK NEMESIS

Www.scatterville.com

• Supporter
  • 16443 posts

Posted 07 October 2017 - 11:10 PM

They are still late to the game with online sales. I could easily see this as an attempt to stab back at every online seller they can.

Then again, that's if it has to make sense. But it doesn't.
Http://www.scatterville.com

#20 Nevermore

Nevermore

• Supporter
  • 12391 posts

Posted 08 October 2017 - 05:16 AM

They are still late to the game with online sales. I could easily see this as an attempt to stab back at every online seller they can.

Then again, that's if it has to make sense. But it doesn't.

When I first came across this rumor, I took it as a butthurt "okay, so we suck when it comes to stocking toys. What can we do to prevent others from beating us to the punch?", i.e. "improving takes real effort and competence, so let's instead artificially force the competition down to our level".

Edited by Nevermore, 08 October 2017 - 05:18 AM.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users