Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  Sabrblade : (21 June 2021 - 08:58 PM)

Daddy!

@  Kalidor : (21 June 2021 - 04:50 PM)

Not just any girl - your mom!

@  Steevy Maximus : (20 June 2021 - 08:19 AM)

Happy Knocked-Up-A-Girl Day!

@  Bass X0 : (20 June 2021 - 02:13 AM)

Happy father's day!

@  Hot Rod Mustang : (19 June 2021 - 07:45 PM)

what up sluts?

@  TheMightyMol... : (19 June 2021 - 07:20 PM)

Only 6? Filthy casual.

@  wonko the sane? : (19 June 2021 - 04:26 PM)

Multiplaying as in "playing with other people" or multiplaying as in "6 WoW accounts running at the same time"?

@  Steevy Maximus : (19 June 2021 - 01:45 PM)

Oh no! Darkeklaw is multiplaying! (See birthday box)

@  tigerhawk : (19 June 2021 - 11:54 AM)

In my Marvel comic canon the second wave of special teams were handpicked active robots whose experience would theoretically make more stable combiners, the Combaticons came from Cybertron, the Protectobots were imprinted from crystals explaining both Onslauhghts ancestry and First Aid's experience.

@  Dekafox : (18 June 2021 - 05:24 PM)

Spotlight: Lioconvoy?

@  Bass X0 : (18 June 2021 - 04:15 PM)

How long until IDW puts out an Optimus Pride Month comic?

@  Cyoti : (18 June 2021 - 03:32 PM)

Even with B5, it didn't follow its original 5-year plan. Summaries from the supplementary materials for the scriptbooks demonstrates that was originally planned was very different from the actual product. Sinclair's actor's departure seemingly changed the show to the point that the stuff with the Vorlons/Shadows, the Minbari and the ending were all changed. Mapping out a show years in advance is difficult because of changing bts stuff like writers/actors leaving the show or suddenly having to retool because of ratings/execs. No plan survives intact especially in a chaotic environment of television production.

@  Rycochet : (18 June 2021 - 11:27 AM)

To be like Babylon 5, you need to cram a 2 season story arc into one because you fear being cancelled, then get further seasons you have no more material for. You also need a spinoff which the network heads don't want and do everything in their power to kill it while it's on air.

@  wonko the sane? : (18 June 2021 - 10:33 AM)

The required effort is probably why we don't have babylon 6; TNG.

@  Dekafox : (18 June 2021 - 10:23 AM)

Everyone wants to be like Babylon 5 but no one wants to put in the effort

@  Nevermore : (18 June 2021 - 09:36 AM)

And then, after five years of hosting their own official podcast where they would answer fan questions and always encouraged their audience to pay attention to the mysteries, after the show had ended, they claimed the show was never really about the mysteries, it was all about the characters.

@  Nevermore : (18 June 2021 - 09:34 AM)

What really bugs me with "Lost" is that the producers had willfully negotiated a set end date with the network halfway through season 3 (the show ended with season 6, as planned) specifically so they could plan out the plot for the remainder of the show. Then... the plot wasn't resolved properly.

@  tigerhawk : (18 June 2021 - 04:17 AM)

By then I had lost interest in arc TV shows, I followed a few and got the impression they were just making them up as they went along. Seemed to be a trend starting with new Galactica and Lost though in actuality began with The X Files and has become a trope called 'The Chris Carter Effect'.

@  Nevermore : (18 June 2021 - 02:12 AM)

I think it was season 3 part 1 specifically, since they had two separate plot "arcs" for season 3.

@  Nevermore : (18 June 2021 - 02:11 AM)

They threw everything in there, with no clear story structure, no clear stakes, and characters flip-flopping wherever the episode's writer needed them to go for their half-baked plot.

@  Nevermore : (18 June 2021 - 02:10 AM)

Season 3 was the worst, with a terrible meandering random events plot.

@  tigerhawk : (17 June 2021 - 11:59 PM)

'save the cheerleader' then in season 3 he tears her skull open, scans her power and she simply heals. They didn't think any of it through.

@  Shockwave 75 : (17 June 2021 - 07:04 PM)

Well, you know Hollywood; if something's popular, run it into the ground!

@  Cybersnark : (17 June 2021 - 04:40 PM)

And then there was the Writers' Strike, which isn't the show's fault.

@  Cybersnark : (17 June 2021 - 04:40 PM)

Yeah, Sylar should've been, if not killed off, at least left to rest.

@  Nevermore : (17 June 2021 - 03:43 PM)

It never truly recovered from that.

@  Nevermore : (17 June 2021 - 03:43 PM)

Season 1 was good until the finale.

@  Paladin : (17 June 2021 - 09:37 AM)

because it sucked.

@  tigerhawk : (17 June 2021 - 08:58 AM)

Heroes was cancelled twice.

@  Nevermore : (17 June 2021 - 06:33 AM)

The song's official name is "Holding Out for a Hero".

@  PlutoniumBoss : (17 June 2021 - 12:54 AM)

That's a long time to wait for a sandwich.

@  Maruten : (16 June 2021 - 07:13 PM)

Lucky there's a hero arriving in July.

@  Steevy Maximus : (16 June 2021 - 05:38 PM)

I think I've heard "I Need a Hero" more times this past week than I have in the past several years.

@  tigerhawk : (16 June 2021 - 12:41 PM)

Thanks to Earthrise I can recreate the end of Return of Optimus Prime part 1.

@  wonko the sane? : (16 June 2021 - 11:19 AM)

I wish they would do something like that here: but then it would become obvious in which provinces you're getting gouged.

@  Nevermore : (16 June 2021 - 10:42 AM)

Here in Germany, the price you see is the price you pay, tax included.

@  Nevermore : (16 June 2021 - 10:42 AM)

I always find it weaird hearing that stores in the US don't initially already taxes in their prices.

@  Nevermore : (16 June 2021 - 04:33 AM)

You know what's kewl? Poor literacy.

@  wonko the sane? : (15 June 2021 - 04:31 PM)

Awesome, thanks for the heads up.

@  CORVUS : (15 June 2021 - 04:12 PM)

Kewl. Thanks!

@  Kalidor : (15 June 2021 - 02:08 PM)

Hey everybody! I wanted to announce that Sarahthecutevixen is our newest addition to the Allspark staff. She's primarily looking over discord stuff, but I wanted to make sure she got a welcome over here as well.

@  NovaSaber : (14 June 2021 - 11:07 AM)

Turn-Bass RPG

@  Sabrblade : (14 June 2021 - 10:21 AM)

Do not X0 quietly into the night.

@  ▲ndrusi : (14 June 2021 - 10:13 AM)

All your Bass are--

@  Donocropolis : (14 June 2021 - 05:56 AM)

*Bass X0 not available in Alaska or Hawaii.

@  Steevy Maximus : (13 June 2021 - 07:36 PM)

Get your own Big Mouth BassX0 for the low price of $19.95 (plusshippingandhandling)

@  repowers : (13 June 2021 - 12:45 PM)

Mr. Speaker, we are for the Bass X0.

@  Nevermore : (13 June 2021 - 06:04 AM)

It's all about that Bass XD.

@  tigerhawk : (13 June 2021 - 02:16 AM)

Will altering the moons orbit in any way help.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (13 June 2021 - 01:51 AM)

Now that you have seen this Bass XO, you must send it to five other Bass XOs or BassXO will come to you in a week and then you too will be BassXO.

Photo
- - - - -

Copper's Mods Thread - I'm the Main Character!

Modification

135 replies to this topic

#41 Copper Bezel

Copper Bezel

Thighs should be seductive.

• Supporter
  • 52873 posts
  • Faction::Equestrian

Posted 01 February 2018 - 01:13 AM

VRlEv8E.jpg

Tceu6Ww.jpg

1vNqfp3.jpg

BjzO3y9.jpg

Edit: Um, it was upside-down. Yeah.

5CXOZ32.jpg

kjErvUR.jpg

ie4xI0V.jpg

Edited by Copper Bezel, 01 February 2018 - 11:42 AM.

Shouldn't gravity be doing something?

Of course there's a figure of Rodimus as some kind of animal girl. Why would I be surprised by this?

#42 WorkbenchManiac

WorkbenchManiac

Clever Girl

• Citizen
  • 1873 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 01 February 2018 - 03:41 PM

That splash of colour really makes the watch pop, good job!

Did you cut the wrist strap from a styrene tube? That's a neat idea I might just nick one of these days.

Also, on a less related note: I followed the link you provided to the Allsparkle, and saw Zamuel's suggestion about using an off-white for the teeth. I'd suggest adding a subtle outline around the mouth instead. It does wonders for the contrast between the white and the face around it, a nice visual separation, and adds some depth and shading as well. I'd suggest a light grey, which is nice and neutral. Just look at my avatar for example (or turn your head an look at the jive-talker directly). Paint it in two steps: first the outline itself and the line between the upper and lower teeth. It will inevitably be too thick in places, that's fine. Let it dry, then apply white to the teeth again, from the middle outwards, to "shrink" the outline to an appropriate size.

EDIT: Thinking about this some more, maybe only do the grey on the gap beween upper and lower teeth, and do the outline in a shade of purple that is a bit darker than the face itself, reminiscent of the coloured outlines of the show.

5CXOZ32.jpg

Look at you, girl! Strutting your stuff all over town. You lookin' fine and you know it!

Edited by WorkbenchManiac, 01 February 2018 - 03:56 PM.

#43 Copper Bezel

Copper Bezel

• Supporter
  • 52873 posts

Posted 01 February 2018 - 04:29 PM

I actually heat-formed a strip of styrene into a loop, but it came to something similar; I had a C-shaped slice of styrene afterward and sanded it down to shape from there. Heat-forming styrene is something I have a weird relationship with; I'm terrible enough at it that I tend to ruin more blanks than I successfully shape, but it can be pretty useful in cases like this.

And yeah, after I did it, I really got to like that pop of cyan. = D

The mouth outline is a really good idea. I'm realizing that I'm okay with making her a bit distinct from the other EG figures I have and, if need be, going back into the official ones and making some tweaks to finish out the display. Plus, this is practice in a sense - I kinda want to get into custom dolls not necessarily associated with Pony with some of what I'm learning here, and all those little touches will be absolutely requisite there.

And thanks so much for the advice on how to approach the painting process there. That makes a *lot* of sense, and I can imagine getting frustrated trying to do it the other way around when I should well know better. 

I decided to do some tweaking in the hair and elsewhere, too, so that's all going to be in progress for a bit.

Edited by Copper Bezel, 01 February 2018 - 04:29 PM.

Of course there's a figure of Rodimus as some kind of animal girl. Why would I be surprised by this?

#44 WorkbenchManiac

WorkbenchManiac

Clever Girl

• Citizen
  • 1873 posts

Posted 01 February 2018 - 05:26 PM

I actually heat-formed a strip of styrene into a loop, but it came to something similar; I had a C-shaped slice of styrene afterward and sanded it down to shape from there. Heat-forming styrene is something I have a weird relationship with; I'm terrible enough at it that I tend to ruin more blanks than I successfully shape, but it can be pretty useful in cases like this.

... so what you are saying is that the neat idea from earlier about the tubes was MY neat idea? :p

Those blanks did not give their lives in vain, the end result is really good.

And thanks so much for the advice on how to approach the painting process there. That makes a *lot* of sense, and I can imagine getting frustrated trying to do it the other way around when I should well know better.

Any time.

I decided to do some tweaking in the hair and elsewhere, too, so that's all going to be in progress for a bit.

You tease.

#45 Destron D-69

Destron D-69

Do'n it Alpha site style

• Supporter
  • 63825 posts
  • Faction::Lesbian Ninja

Posted 01 February 2018 - 10:36 PM

did you sneak an Equal sign on her anywhere? 

OuO oh gosh I see it now! 

Edited by Destron D-69, 01 February 2018 - 10:37 PM.

#46 Zamuel

Zamuel

Dream Valley Survivor

• Supporter
  • 18488 posts

Posted 01 February 2018 - 10:54 PM

Huh. Didn't truly sink in until you said that.
Spoiler

#47 Destron D-69

Destron D-69

Do'n it Alpha site style

• Supporter
  • 63825 posts

Posted 01 February 2018 - 11:03 PM

yeah, the one on the 'belt' almost slipped past me when I was thinking maybe Copper was being cheeky with the thing in the hair that I don't know what is cause 'Boy' but nope... I caught it... cause I'm a smarty 

Edited by Destron D-69, 01 February 2018 - 11:04 PM.

#48 Copper Bezel

Copper Bezel

• Supporter
  • 52873 posts

Posted 02 February 2018 - 11:07 AM

To be honest, the thing in her hair just sort of developed where it is without a lot of thought. I started making a headband and realized they didn't really work with the hair or the geometry of EG heads and then gradually decided to make it a giant barrette instead. But yeah, I would have colored the bars in the cyan and teal from her real cutie mark rather than the grey and black, if not for the fact it'd blend weirdly into the cyan stripes in her hair. That said, I'd decided on having the equals sign in her outfit somewhere long before even considering how to work in any reference to her proper cutie mark. X ] 

#49 Destron D-69

Destron D-69

Do'n it Alpha site style

• Supporter
  • 63825 posts

Posted 02 February 2018 - 05:27 PM

Barrette -yes thank you that was the word I couldn't think of...

French feminine version of Barret ... tiny sideways hat for girls 

#50 WorkbenchManiac

WorkbenchManiac

Clever Girl

• Citizen
  • 1873 posts

Posted 02 February 2018 - 08:49 PM

yeah, the one on the 'belt' almost slipped past me when I was thinking maybe Copper was being cheeky with the thing in the hair that I don't know what is cause 'Boy' but nope... I caught it... cause I'm a smarty

Damn, man. I completely missed that. I only took those black stripes on the skirt for some kind of fasteners, I never connected the dots (lines?).

You really might be a smarty.

Smarties_Boxes_50g.jpg

#51 Copper Bezel

Copper Bezel

• Supporter
  • 52873 posts

Posted 03 February 2018 - 08:07 PM

Tried the mouth thing from the other thread, think it worked. = ] Could have gone a little darker, but. 

nLiaXeH.jpg

Also made her hair too shiny. Don't care, like how it looks, keeping it.

Edited by Copper Bezel, 05 February 2018 - 02:43 AM.

#52 WorkbenchManiac

WorkbenchManiac

Clever Girl

• Citizen
  • 1873 posts

Posted 04 February 2018 - 02:05 PM

Good job, it really adds visual depth to her mouth.

And if you think her hair is too shiny, why not use a coat of matte varnish? Not that I think the figure needs it all that much, but if the shinyness ends up bugging you, the option is there.

#53 Copper Bezel

Copper Bezel

• Supporter
  • 52873 posts

Posted 04 February 2018 - 05:19 PM

Yeah, I ended up doing exactly that. Well, satin-ish varnish mixing the matte and gloss. 

jHCJZke.jpg

I hate that the finish looked best before I put any kind of clearcoat on, but it really needed the protective coat, especially after I mixed in that other non-multisurface paint in the purple. The super-shiny finish was distracting and this looks okay and a little more in line with the other minis. 

Thanks re: the mouth, the advice from you (and Zamuel) really helped.

Edited by Copper Bezel, 05 February 2018 - 02:43 AM.

#54 Destron D-69

Destron D-69

Do'n it Alpha site style

• Supporter
  • 63825 posts

Posted 05 February 2018 - 12:56 AM

looks good... I haven't said how much I love the design of the top yet, but omg is that pretty. o_O and I don't use that word often. 

#55 Copper Bezel

Copper Bezel

• Supporter
  • 52873 posts

Posted 05 February 2018 - 03:49 AM

Thanks. I had one reference image I kept going back to for that, too, which literally came up in a search for "schoolteacher". XD But I liked the fluffs. 

Since I have the camera thing going on, a couple of other things I dinked with recently. Hangouts folks have seen these before but I thought I might sort of at least record them somewhere.

I went back to Black Shadow thinking it needed a second driver for the Earth Shadow half when Guy is flying the Sky Shadow around, who would of course function as an alternate head. I need a name for this little dweeb, though! I'm thinking he'd sort of be the KITT to Guy's Michael. (There's part of an Alternators Grimlock head under the rest of the sculpt there, providing the eyes. The robot separately with his one big eye is using a shaped acrylic gem.)

2GIM4y4.jpg

7CHmjRI.jpg

knNjSIw.jpg

a9AP827.jpg

Then I'd repainted my copy of my Rover kit with some other little mods, figuring I could fix some little annoyances and do a cleaner job of the painting. It's still just an inferior version of the one WorkbenchManiac built (both in that his work is worlds ahead of anything I could ever do, and in that that build was based on a revised model) and the driver Chel looks too angry, but it rolls now, which is just fun. XD (Thanks to brass tubing, which solves everything.)

PSxBBr3.jpg

o6bu3rN.jpg

9T88vpL.jpg

oupb3MX.jpg

Edited by Copper Bezel, 05 February 2018 - 03:55 AM.

#56 Destron D-69

Destron D-69

Do'n it Alpha site style

• Supporter
  • 63825 posts

Posted 05 February 2018 - 06:50 AM

we can't measure ourselves against WB Copper... that path leads to madness... he's like the john holmes of getting stuff done 

#57 Copper Bezel

Copper Bezel

• Supporter
  • 52873 posts

Posted 05 February 2018 - 10:47 AM

Oh believe me, I know. But having his build of my Rover around compelled me to make my own slightly less embarrassing. X ] 

#58 WorkbenchManiac

WorkbenchManiac

Clever Girl

• Citizen
  • 1873 posts

Posted 05 February 2018 - 02:12 PM

I really wanted to comment on Copper's latest stuff, but now you two made it weird.

And there ain't no weird like Destron weird.

That out of the way, I really like the robot mask the TF has going on there. Really cool style. Very anime.

But the rover takes the cake. I dig the new colour scheme, especially the warm/cold contrast between the chassis and Chel herself. The new hubcaps add a very welcome techy sci-fi flair as well. I'm not sure what possessed you to paint the rear dark red, but somehow it works.

And do my eyes deceive me, or did you layer on varnish, the finish looks much smoother compared to the previous iteration.

And don't change a thing about Chel's expression. She does not look angry, she looks coquettish.

Edited by WorkbenchManiac, 05 February 2018 - 02:19 PM.

#59 Destron D-69

Destron D-69

Do'n it Alpha site style

• Supporter
  • 63825 posts

Posted 05 February 2018 - 02:34 PM

yeah. 

#60 Copper Bezel

Copper Bezel

• Supporter
  • 52873 posts

Posted 05 February 2018 - 03:29 PM

Destron weird is one of my favorite weirds. = ] 

But the rover takes the cake. I dig the new colour scheme, especially the warm/cold contrast between the chassis and Chel herself. The new hubcaps add a very welcome techy sci-fi flair as well. I'm not sure what possessed you to paint the rear dark red, but somehow it works.

Not gonna lie, the main impetus for changing the colors was simply the fact that it set this copy apart from yours, so I guess it's "player 2 colors", but yeah, I think the contrast works okay. I did also just really like how the blues worked together.

I think of the rear bin section as being more of a red-brown than a dark red; I'd tried a bright orange but it was just too much, while I think a black or grey would have been too sedate. I'm genuinely tempted to redo things a third time and just hack off and resculpt the whole bin section every time I look at it too long. This copy doesn't have the stops in the legs to restrict the angle they can open to, but if I did something to prevent the rear legs from swinging upward so far, I could probably pull some more satisfying angles back there. 

And don't change a thing about Chel's expression. She does not look angry, she looks coquettish. 

Sorry, I already started idly messing with it. XD 

And do my eyes deceive me, or did you layer on varnish, the finish looks much smoother compared to the previous iteration.

I don't remember to what extent I did layering like that. I know that there are some surfaces I cut and sanded into a bit or went over with some putty, all the new details are putty plus a couple of model kit parts, and I used a glossier finish over the whole thing. There are still some surfaces that look a little hairy, like the lighter sections of the forearms, but I think the sections that were rebuilt with putty or heavily sanded over minimize the effect. 

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users