Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  tigerhawk : (23 June 2021 - 10:09 AM)

"This never happened to the other fellow." -  One of my fave meta jokes in movies from 007: On her Majesty's Secret Service.

@  Sabrblade : (21 June 2021 - 08:58 PM)

Daddy!

@  Kalidor : (21 June 2021 - 04:50 PM)

Not just any girl - your mom!

@  Steevy Maximus : (20 June 2021 - 08:19 AM)

Happy Knocked-Up-A-Girl Day!

@  Bass X0 : (20 June 2021 - 02:13 AM)

Happy father's day!

@  Hot Rod Mustang : (19 June 2021 - 07:45 PM)

what up sluts?

@  TheMightyMol... : (19 June 2021 - 07:20 PM)

Only 6? Filthy casual.

@  wonko the sane? : (19 June 2021 - 04:26 PM)

Multiplaying as in "playing with other people" or multiplaying as in "6 WoW accounts running at the same time"?

@  Steevy Maximus : (19 June 2021 - 01:45 PM)

Oh no! Darkeklaw is multiplaying! (See birthday box)

@  tigerhawk : (19 June 2021 - 11:54 AM)

In my Marvel comic canon the second wave of special teams were handpicked active robots whose experience would theoretically make more stable combiners, the Combaticons came from Cybertron, the Protectobots were imprinted from crystals explaining both Onslauhghts ancestry and First Aid's experience.

@  Dekafox : (18 June 2021 - 05:24 PM)

Spotlight: Lioconvoy?

@  Bass X0 : (18 June 2021 - 04:15 PM)

How long until IDW puts out an Optimus Pride Month comic?

@  Cyoti : (18 June 2021 - 03:32 PM)

Even with B5, it didn't follow its original 5-year plan. Summaries from the supplementary materials for the scriptbooks demonstrates that was originally planned was very different from the actual product. Sinclair's actor's departure seemingly changed the show to the point that the stuff with the Vorlons/Shadows, the Minbari and the ending were all changed. Mapping out a show years in advance is difficult because of changing bts stuff like writers/actors leaving the show or suddenly having to retool because of ratings/execs. No plan survives intact especially in a chaotic environment of television production.

@  Rycochet : (18 June 2021 - 11:27 AM)

To be like Babylon 5, you need to cram a 2 season story arc into one because you fear being cancelled, then get further seasons you have no more material for. You also need a spinoff which the network heads don't want and do everything in their power to kill it while it's on air.

@  wonko the sane? : (18 June 2021 - 10:33 AM)

The required effort is probably why we don't have babylon 6; TNG.

@  Dekafox : (18 June 2021 - 10:23 AM)

Everyone wants to be like Babylon 5 but no one wants to put in the effort

@  Nevermore : (18 June 2021 - 09:36 AM)

And then, after five years of hosting their own official podcast where they would answer fan questions and always encouraged their audience to pay attention to the mysteries, after the show had ended, they claimed the show was never really about the mysteries, it was all about the characters.

@  Nevermore : (18 June 2021 - 09:34 AM)

What really bugs me with "Lost" is that the producers had willfully negotiated a set end date with the network halfway through season 3 (the show ended with season 6, as planned) specifically so they could plan out the plot for the remainder of the show. Then... the plot wasn't resolved properly.

@  tigerhawk : (18 June 2021 - 04:17 AM)

By then I had lost interest in arc TV shows, I followed a few and got the impression they were just making them up as they went along. Seemed to be a trend starting with new Galactica and Lost though in actuality began with The X Files and has become a trope called 'The Chris Carter Effect'.

@  Nevermore : (18 June 2021 - 02:12 AM)

I think it was season 3 part 1 specifically, since they had two separate plot "arcs" for season 3.

@  Nevermore : (18 June 2021 - 02:11 AM)

They threw everything in there, with no clear story structure, no clear stakes, and characters flip-flopping wherever the episode's writer needed them to go for their half-baked plot.

@  Nevermore : (18 June 2021 - 02:10 AM)

Season 3 was the worst, with a terrible meandering random events plot.

@  tigerhawk : (17 June 2021 - 11:59 PM)

'save the cheerleader' then in season 3 he tears her skull open, scans her power and she simply heals. They didn't think any of it through.

@  Shockwave 75 : (17 June 2021 - 07:04 PM)

Well, you know Hollywood; if something's popular, run it into the ground!

@  Cybersnark : (17 June 2021 - 04:40 PM)

And then there was the Writers' Strike, which isn't the show's fault.

@  Cybersnark : (17 June 2021 - 04:40 PM)

Yeah, Sylar should've been, if not killed off, at least left to rest.

@  Nevermore : (17 June 2021 - 03:43 PM)

It never truly recovered from that.

@  Nevermore : (17 June 2021 - 03:43 PM)

Season 1 was good until the finale.

@  Paladin : (17 June 2021 - 09:37 AM)

because it sucked.

@  tigerhawk : (17 June 2021 - 08:58 AM)

Heroes was cancelled twice.

@  Nevermore : (17 June 2021 - 06:33 AM)

The song's official name is "Holding Out for a Hero".

@  PlutoniumBoss : (17 June 2021 - 12:54 AM)

That's a long time to wait for a sandwich.

@  Maruten : (16 June 2021 - 07:13 PM)

Lucky there's a hero arriving in July.

@  Steevy Maximus : (16 June 2021 - 05:38 PM)

I think I've heard "I Need a Hero" more times this past week than I have in the past several years.

@  tigerhawk : (16 June 2021 - 12:41 PM)

Thanks to Earthrise I can recreate the end of Return of Optimus Prime part 1.

@  wonko the sane? : (16 June 2021 - 11:19 AM)

I wish they would do something like that here: but then it would become obvious in which provinces you're getting gouged.

@  Nevermore : (16 June 2021 - 10:42 AM)

Here in Germany, the price you see is the price you pay, tax included.

@  Nevermore : (16 June 2021 - 10:42 AM)

I always find it weaird hearing that stores in the US don't initially already taxes in their prices.

@  Nevermore : (16 June 2021 - 04:33 AM)

You know what's kewl? Poor literacy.

@  wonko the sane? : (15 June 2021 - 04:31 PM)

Awesome, thanks for the heads up.

@  CORVUS : (15 June 2021 - 04:12 PM)

Kewl. Thanks!

@  Kalidor : (15 June 2021 - 02:08 PM)

Hey everybody! I wanted to announce that Sarahthecutevixen is our newest addition to the Allspark staff. She's primarily looking over discord stuff, but I wanted to make sure she got a welcome over here as well.

@  NovaSaber : (14 June 2021 - 11:07 AM)

Turn-Bass RPG

@  Sabrblade : (14 June 2021 - 10:21 AM)

Do not X0 quietly into the night.

@  ▲ndrusi : (14 June 2021 - 10:13 AM)

All your Bass are--

@  Donocropolis : (14 June 2021 - 05:56 AM)

*Bass X0 not available in Alaska or Hawaii.

@  Steevy Maximus : (13 June 2021 - 07:36 PM)

Get your own Big Mouth BassX0 for the low price of $19.95 (plusshippingandhandling)

@  repowers : (13 June 2021 - 12:45 PM)

Mr. Speaker, we are for the Bass X0.

@  Nevermore : (13 June 2021 - 06:04 AM)

It's all about that Bass XD.

@  tigerhawk : (13 June 2021 - 02:16 AM)

Will altering the moons orbit in any way help.

Photo
- - - - -

Copper's Mods Thread - I'm the Main Character!

Modification

135 replies to this topic

#1 Copper Bezel

Copper Bezel

Thighs should be seductive.

• Supporter
  • 52873 posts
  • Faction::Equestrian

Posted 27 September 2017 - 10:22 PM

I've posted on part of this modification process in the TF photo thread. I've finished since. 

I was kinda in love with TR Black Shadow at first sight of the reveal, and that was weird, because I don't have any other TR toys and don't know who Black Shadow is. Or didn't, I just read the box bio a few minutes ago and meh'd. 

Anyway I made him stop being a Transformer entirely. In my shelf canon, he's a possibly ancient super robot piloted by by the ace fighter Gai Shiyaddou. New weapon made from Gens Orion Pax's guitar, modified chest, minor paint work. Opened up some joints in the back and added stops under the little panels that would pull out for the base mode to make a theoretically less compact but much more dynamic-looking arrangement for the back kibble. 

I wanted more shiny bits, so I put a chip of acrylic gem in his head, sanded off the round bit on his chest detailing to reveal the transparent red underneath, and gave him what is functionally a spark crystal in his chest embedded in a bit of Robogear, which I'm calling a Heart Engine.

I have to give due credit to Caboo, who I talked to for ideas for the custom in a couple of stages, and my brother Soulless, who designed the pommel of the sword after seeing the blade. 

I also have to give due credit to Vallejo paints, because they are the best ones. The dark gray I mixed to match the dark gray plastic kept changing color on me in its little tub, though, so that was weird. The highlights I picked out on the tank barely show up, but it's the same paint I used on the chest, after I mixed it darker in the process of doing the chest because it stopped matching itself... *head asplode*

HOB26Au.jpg

6YD6blx.jpg

The modifications are entirely centered on the robot mode, and I also avoided doing a couple of things I wanted to do in terms of adding articulation that would have been tricky and would probably make the toy less durable in hand. The lack of wrist swivels or waist articulation is really irritating on a toy of this size and with no compelling design reasons they couldn't be there, but I don't want to muss it up.

The sword is, of course, the Shadow Blade.

I did add some paint to the tank, which I felt lacked the visual interest of the fighter. (I'm calling the tank Land Shadow.)

Di9SCZD.jpg

The fighter looks unmodified but for the lack of stupid labels and the fact it's resting on the robot chest without the flappy thing out front, which could readily be done with the stock version. (It also inherited the name Sky Shadow from the box.) So here is a photo of the stock Sky Shadow jet for completeness' sake. I generally have Gai inside so I can imagine him flying around shooting aliens streaming out of the interdimensional portal before joining up with Land Shadow to protect the city. 

EV1NMDR.jpg

This last has almost nothing to do with the custom, because it's entirely present in the stock figure and is in fact why I wanted it. But I hugging love this transformation sequence to death and it is so stupidly satisfying in hand. 

ZgkKTPR.jpg

4a9cucx.jpg

Cyvx5Cl.jpg

ZoHAzcL.jpg

JD5Rc7I.jpg

b5BqpQ2.jpg

qgN2vai.jpg

NagJWDh.jpg

So yeah, I like this toy. I liked it before, I like it more now, limited articulation notwithstanding. = ]

Edited by Copper Bezel, 13 July 2019 - 02:37 PM.

Shouldn't gravity be doing something?

Of course there's a figure of Rodimus as some kind of animal girl. Why would I be surprised by this?

#2 Foffy

Foffy

Ray of chaotic sunshine

• Citizen
  • 8756 posts

Posted 27 September 2017 - 10:50 PM

That looks amazing! :-O

Nice work, Copper~

#3 Copper Bezel

Copper Bezel

• Supporter
  • 52873 posts

Posted 27 September 2017 - 10:53 PM

Thanks! = ] This was a lot of fun to do. 

Edit: Oh, just noticed I didn't actually include any closeups of Gai, who is technically also a thing that received paint attention. I'm imagining the red as a scarf. 

Oxc6KGc.jpg

Edited by Copper Bezel, 27 September 2017 - 10:58 PM.

Of course there's a figure of Rodimus as some kind of animal girl. Why would I be surprised by this?

#4 Zamuel

Zamuel

Dream Valley Survivor

• Supporter
  • 18488 posts

Posted 28 September 2017 - 08:56 AM

6YD6blx.jpg

This angle makes it look almost like a laser bow.
Spoiler

#5 Copper Bezel

Copper Bezel

• Supporter
  • 52873 posts

Posted 28 September 2017 - 09:27 AM

Huh. Yeah, you're right, it kinda does. = ] Nice! That'd be kind of a fun weapon to make, too. (Not for Black Shadow, seems a bit redundant with the arm cannon, but. = ] )

#6 Destron D-69

Destron D-69

Do'n it Alpha site style

• Supporter
  • 63835 posts
  • Faction::Lesbian Ninja

Posted 29 September 2017 - 10:30 PM

I like this so much that it has now made my Skyshadow 100% less good ... I hate it now.

Congratulations! 

LOL 

now we just need to get you to buy more toys to fix and I can thusly not need to buy more myself out of respect for your superior versions... 

then the money I save could solve ...like world hunger or something. 

#7 Copper Bezel

Copper Bezel

• Supporter
  • 52873 posts

Posted 29 September 2017 - 11:36 PM

Haha! Thanks! I actually got him as a gift of sorts (though my pick) so I technically have yet to actually buy any Titans Return figures. But he's a pretty solid toy to begin with, particularly with just a bit of paint on Omnios and the chest flap and maybe something to replace the damn stickers. I really didn't like the way the back comes together stock, but like we'd talked about, flipping the cockpit section over backwards instead is definitely an option. And, of course, I felt like he did need some kind of weapon in addition to the dinky arm cannon, but weapons aren't hard to come by. Still pretty solid figure all around to begin with. The only change I made that was both complicated and really visible is the new pecs, really. 

You paint stuff, too, so I'd definitely recommend trying a shot at doing up your tank. That's the one place where I think the paint lets down an otherwise really nice sculpt, and just bringing out some of the armor details in a contrasting color and getting rid of the dumb transparent red did wonders for it for not a lot of effort. 

Edited by Copper Bezel, 29 September 2017 - 11:36 PM.

#8 SoS

SoS
  • Administrator
  • 5295 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 30 September 2017 - 08:02 PM

Fantastic work Copper. Love all the little changes you did with Sky Shadow.

--SoS

#9 Copper Bezel

Copper Bezel

• Supporter
  • 52873 posts

Posted 30 September 2017 - 08:56 PM

Thanks! He's really a great figure and was 99% to where I wanted. I know it's an odd suite of mods, but I think it brought out the bits I liked best in what was already there. = ] Will probably at least give him some somewhat articulated hands someday, though. Some poses really require open hand gestures and I'm feeling the lack. 

#10 Destron D-69

Destron D-69

Do'n it Alpha site style

• Supporter
  • 63835 posts
  • Faction::Lesbian Ninja

Posted 01 October 2017 - 06:57 AM

Like pointing, and high fives and.. um... other finger-needing things 

#11 Copper Bezel

Copper Bezel

• Supporter
  • 52873 posts

Posted 01 October 2017 - 02:41 PM

Open-palm arm-outstretched sort of poses, really, the "Stop!" gesture. Pointing is good, too, though.

#12 Copper Bezel

Copper Bezel

• Supporter
  • 52873 posts

Posted 12 January 2018 - 07:47 AM

Slash is an incredibly lovely little figure, but like most things these days, needed some fitting weapons. Luckily I found a couple of things at the bottom of the Alternators bin. The hammer was actually a mace from PRiD Cliffjumper and has had some reworking with putty; the sword is just Alternators Grimlock's with a modified handle.

ZbiKpl3.jpg

6fdVBz8.jpg

oXWWX1I.jpg

BF4UOAS.jpg

Edited by Copper Bezel, 12 January 2018 - 08:02 AM.

#13 WorkbenchManiac

WorkbenchManiac

Clever Girl

• Citizen
  • 1873 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 12 January 2018 - 08:43 AM

That hammer now looks proper smashy, good stuff!

Did you manage to friction the sword into the tail's backside (giggity), or did you have to modify it further?

#14 Copper Bezel

Copper Bezel

• Supporter
  • 52873 posts

Posted 12 January 2018 - 09:57 AM

Thanks!

Trial and error, but I hacked out a hole and then found a spot that the sword would friction into place and not want to slide up or down, such that the sides of the rectangle I cut out constituted a "clip". That said, I don't know if that'll change now that I'm painting the sword. X |

#15 ZacDeath

ZacDeath

I am not dead, I'm overwintering.

• Citizen
  • 1160 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 12 January 2018 - 07:53 PM

Wow, that is the perfect weapon for her. It totally looks official, well I guess if it was official it would probably look more like a giant Cheeto.
WWOPD?

#16 Copper Bezel

Copper Bezel

• Supporter
  • 52873 posts

Posted 12 January 2018 - 10:40 PM

I lucked the hell out with the paint colors, because they're all straight out of their respective tubes and match within the existing range between paint and plastic colors on the toy, which I think is part of why they appear to work. But yeah, I was ridiculously happy with how both weapons worked for her with just a little modification. The guard looked really bad on her hand until I adjusted it down and I definitely like it better as a hammer than as a mace, but. 

Having "slash" as a name also means I couldn't leave her having just the hammer, but I do like the idea of it being her preferred weapon. = ] 

Also, finished painting the sword and adding a proper storage clip. 

vrXpT2Y.jpg

o9rZJiz.jpg

yNsN532.jpg

Z75d3oc.jpg

#17 SoS

SoS
  • Administrator
  • 5295 posts

Posted 13 January 2018 - 12:51 AM

That is some fantastic work, Copper. The hammer is just perfect for Slash. It really drives that image of a Captain Cavemanwoman type character home for me.

--SoS

#18 Copper Bezel

Copper Bezel

• Supporter
  • 52873 posts

Posted 13 January 2018 - 02:35 AM

I still see her more as the Judy Hopps type. XD I like to think that the size of her weapons is an illustration of the size of her enthusiasm in relation to the size of her, well, her. = ] 

#19 SoS

SoS
  • Administrator
  • 5295 posts

Posted 13 January 2018 - 11:59 AM

And just like that, now I'm going to view her as a Judy Hopps type. :)

--SoS

#20 Copper Bezel

Copper Bezel

• Supporter
  • 52873 posts

Posted 13 January 2018 - 04:07 PM

Haha. XD It just immediately stuck for me since she's tiny, female, new, and potentially surrounded by tanks, to say nothing of being based on a dinosaur whose whole pop culture image is being reasonably intelligent. I picture her picking up the "Me Slash think" talk not because she's dim, but to fit in because she looks up to the other Dinobots so much, and sometimes forgetting. 

Also, I sometimes wish I was actually getting the rest of the Dinobots specifically, so I can combine them specifically to put her on Volcanicus's shoulder in raptor mode and pretend she's telling them which things to smash. 

I'm really taken with this figure and design, though. I have feelings about most of Potpie, but the Legends class has been really stupidly great and she just really comes together beautifully as a figure. 

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users