With the recent passing of the official Collector's Club and BotCon conventions, I wanted to take some time and acknowledge how those "official fan groups" affected the brand as a whole. Whether we're talking BotCon, 3H, or Fun Pub, what are some characters, body designs, or ideas that originated in the conventions or fan media that ended up being used elsewhere? Here's what I can think of initially...
- Universal streams: Love 'em or hate 'em, the universal stream system has helped define and categorize the Transformers multiverse. And with its use in Alternity material, the idea has spread beyond Fun Publications and the Wiki.
- Nexus Prime: Chicken or the egg? The Thirteen in general is one of those concepts that evolved through both the fan clubs AND traditional media. The idea of Thirteen original Transformers may have been sparked by Simon Furman with 3H's Covenant stories, but officially written down in the mass-media The Ultimate Guide. Then Fun Pub expanded the idea with their magazine, but certainly only with Hasbro's approval.
Still, whoever first came up with the idea of the Thirteen (3H, Fun Pub, Hasbro, Simon Furman on his own in the john), Nexus Prime was certainly defined by the first five years of Fun Publications magazine as the original Combiner. Their presentation of him obviously influenced the Aligned representations of him in the Covenant of Primus, prose novels, and even the IDW version.
- Shokaract and Antagony: Created for BotCon during the 3H years, these two Beast Wars recolors were used in IDW's Beast Wars comics. Antagony has also reappeared in the main IDW continuity as a supporting player in the Hasbroverse's First Strike crossover.
- Roulette and Red Wing: Adapted into IDW comics continuity.
- Windrazor: Hidden character in the Beast Wars: Transmetals N64 game.
- Alpha Trion: Lion and spaceship alternate modes introduced by 3H and Fun Pub, respectively.
- Shattered Glass Masterpiece Optimus Prime
- Rapido: is Spanish!
- Cyberverse Flamewar
- Hero Mashers Heatwave
- Ferak: BotCon design used in IDW comics
- Animated Flareup, Glyph, and Tap-Out
Edited by Xaaron, 14 September 2017 - 07:03 PM.