Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  Kalidor : (22 October 2020 - 06:43 PM)

What did it look like?

@  Donocropolis : (22 October 2020 - 01:34 PM)

I swear I remember getting the Happymeal G1 minibot as a child, but I live 2.5 hours from St. Louis, which is the only place they apparently came out. It's possible that I got it on a family vacation, though, as we went to Six Flags pretty often.

@  ▲ndrusi : (22 October 2020 - 01:07 PM)

Conversely, I had the Gobot helicopter from Wendy's and I was absolutely convinced it was an actual Transformer.

@  Donocropolis : (22 October 2020 - 08:13 AM)

I used to rubber-band Hot-Wheels style construction vehicles together and pretend it was Devestator.

@  Bass X0 : (21 October 2020 - 05:26 PM)

When I was about four years old, my parents bought me Bugbite and tried to tell me it was Bumblebee. I was not yet a fan of Transformers, but I knew that wasn't Bumblebee. I didn't even have the real Bumblebee at that time.

@  Maximus Ambus : (21 October 2020 - 01:39 PM)

It would come with two soundtracks: the eighties classic and one featuring dubstep and the VAs are popular Youtubers.

@  wonko the sane? : (21 October 2020 - 12:13 PM)

But yeah, reading it: I came off as a bit of an ass.

@  wonko the sane? : (21 October 2020 - 11:52 AM)

I just couldn't think of worse music than disco...

@  NotVeryKnightly : (21 October 2020 - 11:35 AM)

What were you trying to imply with the mocking sarcasm, though? Nobody suggested that '80s music was any more "of it's time" than '70s music.

@  wonko the sane? : (21 October 2020 - 11:18 AM)

I said that disco wouldn't fare much better with the same context: media is property of it's time; biases, culture and limitations are all inherent in that. Some stuff can be brought forward because of an inherently timeless nature or the simplicity with which it was made but lots of media is a time capsule of the period of when it was made.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (21 October 2020 - 08:46 AM)

I'm not sure what you're trying to imply, or what you even think I said.

@  wonko the sane? : (21 October 2020 - 08:11 AM)

Yeah, cause disco would make the transition so much better...

@  NotVeryKnightly : (21 October 2020 - 07:17 AM)

I feel the '80s music would be jarring when running over current-day CGI instead of well, '80s visuals.

@  Maximus Ambus : (21 October 2020 - 05:39 AM)

Not a remake, reanimated scene for scene, like that fan vid titled they were always real to me.

@  TheMightyMol... : (21 October 2020 - 04:37 AM)

Because we need more remakes these days.

@  Maximus Ambus : (21 October 2020 - 01:36 AM)

Be a hoot if these Studio Series 86 toys led to Transformers The Move Reanimated like Pokemon Mewtwo Strikes Back Evolution.

@  Paladin : (20 October 2020 - 05:15 PM)

only takes three pounds to be a cereal killer.

@  Kalidor : (20 October 2020 - 04:54 PM)

5 pounds is a lot of cereal! /deadpan

@  Maximus Ambus : (20 October 2020 - 02:32 PM)

Seems the area near my work place is due to be gentrified. Electric car ports, fifty pound haircuts and five pound bowls of cereal in breakfast cafes I'll bet.

@  Steevy Maximus : (19 October 2020 - 11:31 PM)

@ZakuConvoy Lumines Electric Symphony. So still halfway interesting, and it’ll play on the PS TV

@  Demovere Xeno : (19 October 2020 - 10:36 PM)

@Maximus: I paired the Battle Patrol with Ironworks and they look good together, though the Off Road Patrol would probably fit best as vehicles you're likely to find at a construction site.

@  ZakuConvoy : (19 October 2020 - 09:39 PM)

So...was it something like Tearaway or Gravity Rush or was it just a FIFA or a Madden?

@  wonko the sane? : (19 October 2020 - 08:26 PM)

Sounds like they need to clean more often.

@  Steevy Maximus : (19 October 2020 - 06:51 PM)

From the depths of Walmart's backroom comes...a Playstation Vita game in 2020?

@  Telly : (19 October 2020 - 02:20 PM)

and my bow

@  Donocropolis : (19 October 2020 - 11:49 AM)

<GIMLI> And my axe! </GIMLI>

@  Donocropolis : (19 October 2020 - 11:47 AM)

He's got my vote!

@  wonko the sane? : (19 October 2020 - 11:26 AM)

Mayor?

@  Maximus Ambus : (19 October 2020 - 07:38 AM)

Greasepit for the Sports Car Patrol, Airwave for the Airstrike Patrol, Hot House for the Rescue Patrol, Ironworks for ????

@  Steevy Maximus : (19 October 2020 - 04:09 AM)

My local Walmart FINALLY got a restock of Generations during the early September reset and got a big shipment of Earthrise wave 1 (the first I’d seen around here). IF, and that’s a big IF, they restock I’m expecting a bunch of wave 3. Or wave 2. But we’ll be skipping one of those waves.

@  Steevy Maximus : (19 October 2020 - 04:08 AM)

Barricade hanging around

@  Steevy Maximus : (19 October 2020 - 04:08 AM)

Brunt barely appeared here at all, wave 3 was pretty much skipped for a big load of wave 4, with Impactor and

@  wonko the sane? : (18 October 2020 - 10:13 PM)

Brunt is shelfwarming around me. One walmart moved the whole lot of them off to a side shelf, but couldn't be added to liquidate them.

@  unluckiness : (18 October 2020 - 09:01 PM)

Ironworks is a plague. No idea if it was overproduced or if nobody wants it but thing's clogging shelves.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (18 October 2020 - 04:23 PM)

My walmart the few times I go in will be lucky to have two or three transformers period.

@  TheMightyMol... : (18 October 2020 - 10:29 AM)

I mostly just see walls of Ironworks. And the occassional Siege Hound.

@  Paladin : (18 October 2020 - 08:44 AM)

condolences.

@  Nevermore : (18 October 2020 - 08:40 AM)

My local Symths is still chock full of Earthrise wave 1.

@  wonko the sane? : (18 October 2020 - 08:24 AM)

Yup, generally so much they don't bother with any other waves as the existing stock doesn't sell out.

@  Nevermore : (18 October 2020 - 07:56 AM)

All the damn time.

If there's anything there's going to be plenty of stock, it's wave 1.

I'm really not worried about wave 1 of a new line EVER.

@  wonko the sane? : (18 October 2020 - 07:47 AM)

At least you got listings for kingdom. walmart canada won't list them until they're actually in stock and that could very well never happen. I'm gonna get mine from BBTS cause I'm not missing out on the maximals.

@  Nevermore : (18 October 2020 - 07:32 AM)

And I don't buy the "they all sold out" explanation. The Kingdom figures are still listed.

@  Nevermore : (18 October 2020 - 07:32 AM)

I don't see any of Friday's reveals at Walmart.

@  Nevermore : (18 October 2020 - 07:23 AM)

There's a difference between "sold out" and "no trace of a listing".

@  Nevermore : (18 October 2020 - 07:23 AM)

There is still a listing for the scalped and sold out Walmart exclusive limited edition version of Gigawatt.

@  Nevermore : (18 October 2020 - 07:22 AM)

But there should still be a listing.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (18 October 2020 - 06:30 AM)

Probably got scalped and sold out in seconds.

@  Nevermore : (18 October 2020 - 04:10 AM)

And I don't see links anywhere either.

Photo
- - - - -

A Song of Ice and Fire: The Game of Thrones Thread

Game of Thrones

31 replies to this topic

#21 Shenanigans

Shenanigans

Cynic-in-residence

• Supporter
  • 6492 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 08 September 2017 - 02:00 AM

the news don't got dragons.

XnIZN7T.jpg 

Shenanigans

Nonsense; mischief; often, a treacherous or deceitful trick.

#22 Rust

Rust

Slightly Off

• Supporter
  • 48467 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 08 September 2017 - 03:26 AM

Hard question then.

If it's all grinding away and killing the good in the world and rewarding the monsters, why bother? I could just turn on the news.

Why do you think I stopped reading the books?

I'd run out of people to root for.

EDIT: I realize now that my comments can be taken in a snarky/dismissive tone of the series. That's not my intent. Yes, I ran out of people to root for and have never watched the show (Mostly because I knew what was coming and one can only handle so much), but I've always kept abreast for the story being told and have never shied away from plot outlines and details.

The story is good. It's dang good - I still recommend A Game of Thrones to this day for anyone wanting a nice, meaty story. I may give Martin crap for merchandising the heck out of the setting, but the man deserves the success he's earned.

Just wanted to get that out there.

Edited by Rust, 08 September 2017 - 04:24 AM.

#23 The Predaking

The Predaking

Finally! A new Predaking is here!

• Administrator
  • 40696 posts
  • Faction::Predacon

Posted 08 September 2017 - 07:53 AM

Hard question then.

If it's all grinding away and killing the good in the world and rewarding the monsters, why bother? I could just turn on the news.

There is a line in there that goes, "The Genre is called Fantasy" which is a great complaint for GRRM's writing. Also, there is some harsh language in there.

Edited by The Predaking, 08 September 2017 - 07:55 AM.

Restoring an Old Arcade Machine!

http://www.allspark....ade-game/page-2

#24 SHIELD Agent 47

SHIELD Agent 47

Skull Leader

• Retired Staff
  • 10079 posts

Posted 29 October 2019 - 10:09 AM

So I have never been an active Game of Thrones fan, but an interesting thing just happened. Benioff and Weiss were present at Austin Film Festival 2019 that happened this past weekend in Texas, USA.

https://twitter.com/...186578071556102

There were revelations about the making of Game of Thrones such as:

Dan is saying that #GameofThrones was basically an expensive film school for he and Dave. For example, they had no idea how to work with costume designers, and it was a huge learning experience.

The moderator asked why they chose to write all the episodes by themselves: “Because we didn’t know better.” David said HBO wanted them to hire other writers and they decided to have Bryan Cogman, their assistant, write four episodes.

Dan wanted to remove as many fantasy elements as possible bc “we didn’t just want to appeal to that type of fan.” They wanted to expand the fan base to people beyond the fantasy fan base to “mothers, NFL players”...

I found out about this tell-all interview when my Twitter feed suddenly blew up with every leftist chanting to the effect of "Meritocracy and experience my ass! Women, people of color, and non-binary filmmakers never get these opportunities. Damn you, world!"

Proximity: A Starscream and Friends Fanzine | Store | Twitter | Tumblr | Instagram

#25 Teufel

Teufel

Who wants to rock forever?

• Supporter
  • 6539 posts
  • Faction::Decepticon

Posted 29 October 2019 - 01:26 PM

D&D came up with the concept, successfully pitched it to the author whose work they would be adapting, had to successfully pitch it to HBO once and then a second time after leadership changes, and their passion and vision for the project got them the thumbs up. If they'd come up short during the development HBO wouldn't have hesitated to cut bait or replace them. A pilot that needs reworking? Unheard of in the history of television.  :rolleyes  The show became one of the most successful ever for HBO and by the standards of cultural impact and critical acclaim in general for television. It's a success with a lot of credit to spread around, but it kind of seems like HBO and Martin made a pretty decent choice.

Of course it was a learning experience. It's always a learning experience when you step up the ladder or have a new opportunity. Ryan Coogler hadn't directed any special effects heavy vehicles before Black Panther, should he have been passed over for someone who wasn't going to learn on the job with hundreds of millions of dollars at play?

Shonda Rhimes who like D&D had pretty much only written a couple screenplays, pitched Grey's Anatomy to network TV and became a first-time show runner and head writer for what became a rather successful TV show. Should ABC have told her to pound sand because she would be learning on the job and had no bona fides?

"Muh fantasy was cut." The first episode had a wight and White Walker.  :D  They focused on making the show as realistic as possible for a fantasy story (although I think the books kind of made that easy early on.) It's not like they made Game of Thrones unrecognizable for a book reader, they broadened its appeal and made it more accessible to folks who otherwise would tune out just because of its genre. And now that broader audience may be willing to dip their toes into fantasy in a way they wouldn't have before GoT. Oh, the horror.

All that said, I'm glad they're not doing Star Wars. The criticism of them as writers is pretty on the money, at least when they have nothing to directly adapt. I think they did a great job adapting the books for the first few seasons, kind of went off the rails for the next few, and then things went to hell once they ran out of source material to pull from. Just one example is towards the end major characters who met or reunited for the first time in seasons (who hadn't done so in the books yet) met in the TV show, and it was a disappointing, soulless result that could only callback to great early season moments and dialogue... that Martin had come up with. Remember "Stick them with the pointy end"? Wasn't that great? ...sigh. Such a let down after so many years! Most of the final season was disappointing due to poor writing in general.

Then again, as far as I can tell the final season was still a huge success and was still pretty well received by critics. So I think that's the opinion of a loud but ultimately small contingent.

Edited by Teufel, 29 October 2019 - 01:28 PM.

#26 Teufel

Teufel

Who wants to rock forever?

• Supporter
  • 6539 posts
  • Faction::Decepticon

Posted 29 October 2019 - 03:06 PM

In actual Game of Thrones news

Showrunner Goldman has been emailing the cast and crew of the project to tell them that the pilot is dead, we hear. The development has not been confirmed by HBO.

The prequel, created by the Kingsman scribe and George R. R. Martin, takes place thousands of years before the wars, romances and dragons of the Emilia Clarke- and Kit Harington-led GoT, which wrapped up its blockbuster eight-season run in May. Weaving in issues of race, power, intrigue and White Walkers, the Goldman-run prequel was given the pilot green light back in June 2018.

Sorry for the people that lose out on work over this, but... honestly...? Kind of glad. A prequel series focused on battling the White Walkers thousands of years ago seemed like a waste. We just had an 8 season show in which White Walkers were the great evil coming over the horizon and we learned the underwhelming backstory. Why hit that undead horse again?

Another prequel series is still in the works

It was picked among several GoT prequel scripts that had been commissioned by HBO. While the pilot, carrying heavy corporate expectations, was in editing, HBO in September gave an unofficial pilot green light to a second prequel project from Martin and Ryan Condal, which is set 300 years before the events in Game of Thrones and tracks the beginning of the end for House Targaryen.

And I think it has so much more potential. The conquest of Westeros, Targaryen civil wars if they get to that point, the potential for actually decent dragon vs dragon fights.

#27 Thylacine 2000

Thylacine 2000

Charismatic Megafauna

• Citizen
  • 17230 posts

Posted 29 October 2019 - 04:28 PM

I've never seen any franchise go sour as thoroughly or as quickly as GOT. When you ruin the ending after a DECADE, it really does have the effect of driving the consumers away. I honestly don't think a sequel prequel would be received well - let alone a prequel.

#28 Superomegaprime

Superomegaprime
  • Citizen
  • 4209 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 29 October 2019 - 05:46 PM

I've never seen any franchise go sour as thoroughly or as quickly as GOT. When you ruin the ending after a DECADE, it really does have the effect of driving the consumers away. I honestly don't think a sequel prequel would be received well - let alone a prequel.

When they ran out of books to adapt, D&D lack of experience as writers began to show, thou I think some of the blame does lie with HBO giving into their demand to end on season 8 instead of going for a more natural conclusion under someone else but then I think they must of been on cloud 9 at the time with GOT being one of the most talked about shows on TV and a ratings smash hit.

36428543702_ff3b1fc457_m.jpg

#29 Rust

Rust

Slightly Off

• Supporter
  • 48467 posts

Posted 29 October 2019 - 06:07 PM

I'm by no means a champion of the franchise (The opposite, really), but even I admit going by plot summaries, the last season of Game of Thrones was much the same as the second season of Rome - trying to get through five seasons worth of plot lines in a single one.

Dany's descent into her family's traditional madness would have been a lot better handled if it had built up over the course of a year or two, especially since they could have also worked in her own estrangement from her remaining dragon (explaining HIS behavior as well). And that added time also would have helped to build a more satisfying conclusion to the White Walkers and maybe not just jettison Jamie's entire ARC at the eleventh hour.

#30 The Predaking

The Predaking

• Administrator
  • 40696 posts

Posted 29 October 2019 - 08:39 PM

Apparently, HBO decided to go with another prequel instead.

https://www.cnn.com/...-hbo/index.html

Could be good. 

#31 Telly

Telly

Kelp of discontent

• Retired Staff
  • 8940 posts

Posted 30 October 2019 - 11:25 AM

sounds like the second one teufel posted a link to

When I die I will surely go to Heaven for i spent my life in Hell

#32 The Predaking

The Predaking

• Administrator
  • 40696 posts

Posted 30 October 2019 - 01:17 PM

Yup. And now it is officially coming to HBO.

I hope that we get some time jumps to cover a lot of the important events. Maybe even work up to the Mad King and finish with Robert's Rebellion.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users