Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  Rycochet : (13 December 2019 - 11:56 AM)

Unlike many of his peers, Morton diesn't seem to have gone out of his way to try and take every drug going so he's aged remarkably well.

@  Donocropolis : (13 December 2019 - 11:39 AM)

Doesn't seem to have been a market for it, which is too bad, because it perfectly does what it sets out to do.

@  Donocropolis : (13 December 2019 - 11:38 AM)

Just opened it and suddenly I'm 9 years old again.

@  Donocropolis : (13 December 2019 - 11:38 AM)

Bought myself Fansproject Glacialord for my birthday during their Black Friday sale.

@  Nevermore : (12 December 2019 - 07:45 PM)

Morten Harket of A-ha might have aged 35 years on the outside, but his voice is still pretty much the same as it was in 1984. That's some great training and exercise for you.

@  wonko the sane? : (12 December 2019 - 06:59 PM)

Depends entirely on how badly you cooked them. What?

@  TheMightyMol... : (12 December 2019 - 05:33 PM)

Can it raise the dead?

@  RichardT1977 : (12 December 2019 - 05:33 PM)

Cheddar can do just about anything.

@  RichardT1977 : (12 December 2019 - 05:32 PM)

Cream cheese has to be on a bagel or crackers.

@  RichardT1977 : (12 December 2019 - 05:31 PM)

(for example: I like Swiss cheese on sandwiches, but find it merely tolerable by itself)

@  RichardT1977 : (12 December 2019 - 05:30 PM)

I mean are you eating it by itself? With crackers? On a sandwich?

@  TheMightyMol... : (12 December 2019 - 04:48 PM)

I would ask, but I'd rather not know.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (12 December 2019 - 03:38 PM)

With my mouth, usually.

@  RichardT1977 : (12 December 2019 - 08:48 AM)

Depends on how you're eating it.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (12 December 2019 - 01:40 AM)

Havarti, without a doubt.

@  Greebtron : (12 December 2019 - 01:28 AM)

Not Don, thanks. I'd like a writer who actually cares enough to do the job properly

@  Benbot : (11 December 2019 - 09:34 PM)

What's your favorite cheese? I'm not sure, but it's hard to beat muenster.

@  Maximus Ambus : (11 December 2019 - 05:10 PM)

Man I wish IDW could do a season 2.5 with a few writers like Michael Charles Hill or Donald F Glut or Paul Davids involved.

@  TheMightyMol... : (11 December 2019 - 04:33 PM)

They were looking for Skids, but the animators forgot he existed again.

@  Maximus Ambus : (11 December 2019 - 02:58 PM)

He regrouped with Omega Supreme, the Dinobots, Skyfire and the Protectobots.

@  Benbot : (11 December 2019 - 08:20 AM)

Did he get infected with the rest of the Autobots or did he smartly remain off-planet?

@  TheMightyMol... : (11 December 2019 - 05:38 AM)

He really just went to the beach for a couple of days, then called it in. Who's gonna follow up on it?

@  Maximus Ambus : (11 December 2019 - 05:05 AM)

Anyone really believe Cosmos searched far enough for more ingredient for Corrostop?

@  Nevermore : (11 December 2019 - 03:48 AM)

Oh, we are pretty good at "forgetting" about that. Insisting on sending people home on their overtime, THEN suddenly rushing to do the "backlog" stuff when it's really overdue.

@  wonko the sane? : (10 December 2019 - 05:43 PM)

I've yet to find an organization which didn't have a backlog of "stuff" that needs to be done, but isn't important enough to put on the schedule proper.

@  TM2-Megatron : (10 December 2019 - 05:01 PM)

I'm sure most good/bad (depending on your POV) bosses would be able to find something for the worker to do, in most cases, even if it's spending 8 hours pretending to push a broom around

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (10 December 2019 - 04:39 PM)

Still better than American jobs. x.x;

@  NotVeryKnightly : (10 December 2019 - 11:10 AM)

I'm pretty sure you've already mentioned this before. Especially that last one.

@  Nevermore : (10 December 2019 - 11:05 AM)

That can be fun if you're strong-willed enough. "Hey, you want to go home? Overtime reduction, there's nothing to do..." - "Nah, not today. I want to work."

@  Nevermore : (10 December 2019 - 11:04 AM)

This applies to the field of work as well. Meaning, your boss orders you to show up for a full shift, you show up on time and are absolutely willing to work, and then your boss realizes he has no work for you, your boss has to pay you for a full shift even if you don't work at all.

@  Nevermore : (10 December 2019 - 11:03 AM)

Fun fact: German law has a concept named "default in acceptance", which postulates that if there is a "service for payment" contract, the party that should provide the service correctly offers their due service, and the party that should pay fails to accept the service within due time, the second party still has to pay the first party even if there was no service delivered.

@  wonko the sane? : (08 December 2019 - 10:54 PM)

If it's seasonal affective disorder, check with your doc about vitamin D supplements.

@  Maximus Ambus : (08 December 2019 - 12:46 PM)

That's what I was thinking too, It's the christmas rush and if that's not stressful enough the cold weather can also impact mental health.

@  wonko the sane? : (08 December 2019 - 12:41 PM)

Might be a stupid question given the comment, BUT: have you done anything outside the ordinary lately? Might just be a stress reaction.

@  Maximus Ambus : (08 December 2019 - 12:29 PM)

I've experienced sleep paralysis with ghostly images and similar things in the past and can snap out of it through moving my fingers. I've definitely hallucinated before and members of both sides of the family have had similar experience, some suffered forms of mental instability in two cases schizophrenia.

@  wonko the sane? : (08 December 2019 - 10:47 AM)

So... either a hallucination or night terrors. Are you prone to this kind of thing?

@  Maximus Ambus : (07 December 2019 - 11:55 PM)

It kept repeating until I sat up.

@  Maximus Ambus : (07 December 2019 - 11:54 PM)

I've been up since three and when sheepish I was hallucinating something knocking twice against my bedroom door.

@  TheMightyMol... : (07 December 2019 - 06:58 PM)

Then repaint Apeface and Snapdragon as Transmetal Optimus Primal and Megatron. It's crazy enough to work.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (07 December 2019 - 05:32 PM)

Moral imperative.

@  Nevermore : (07 December 2019 - 05:13 PM)

Wishful thinking, rumor or leak?

@  Maximus Ambus : (07 December 2019 - 04:48 PM)

Snapdragon for Earthrise.

@  TM2-Megatron : (04 December 2019 - 10:22 PM)

Still not the weirdest thing a Nic Cage character has done in a film

@  TheMightyMol... : (04 December 2019 - 04:00 PM)

Couldn't be worse than him pissing fire as Ghost Rider.

@  Rycochet : (04 December 2019 - 03:38 PM)

The Tim Burton Superman Movie is the DC movie we deserve. It would have Nic Cage in a technosuit punching polarbears.

@  Paladin : (04 December 2019 - 02:59 PM)

Wonder Woman was great. Shazam was amazing. Aquaman... exists.

@  RichardT1977 : (04 December 2019 - 01:54 PM)

TBF, Aquaman and Shazam! were pretty good.

@  TheMightyMol... : (04 December 2019 - 01:00 PM)

Not a difficult feat.

@  Benbot : (04 December 2019 - 11:50 AM)

You just put more effort into telling a compelling story than all of WB's execs.

@  Cybersnark : (04 December 2019 - 11:41 AM)

Cue the flashback to Jonathan, reassuring a terrified child: "What you are is never as important as who you are." Cue Superman's response to Brainiac: "I already know who I am."*John Williams fanfare plays*

Photo

So, that 1994 "Fantastic Four" movie...

28 replies to this topic

#1 Fortress Ironhold

Fortress Ironhold

Blasphemer

• Banned
  • 20567 posts

Posted 02 September 2017 - 08:21 PM

Anyone else see it? I'm making my way through it now. 

Kinda crazy to think about Roger Corman even coming close to a Marvel property, but here it is. 

#2 Maruten

Maruten
  • Staff
  • 7302 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 02 September 2017 - 09:33 PM

Saw it a million years ago but it didn't leave much of an impression I guess.

WsuGTl1.jpg

#3 TM2-Megatron

TM2-Megatron
  • Supporter
  • 10690 posts
  • Faction::Equestrian

Posted 02 September 2017 - 10:42 PM

Corman could probably charm his way into any studio or franchise in Hollywood, to be honest; the man is disarmingly likeable.  In this case, though, I think he got the job primarily for his well-deserved reputation of being able to stretch a budget ($1 million for this film, I think).

I'd like to see this get an official blu-ray release, personally.  Corman, the cast, and everyone involved in the production deserve it.  It's not as if Fox's efforts were any better, despite costing 100-130x more. If Shout Factory can release the 1990 Captain America, this one should be possible too.

Edited by TM2-Megatron, 02 September 2017 - 10:59 PM.

#4 D Immortalis

D Immortalis

I've gotta make the world know my name...

• Citizen
  • 3779 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 02 September 2017 - 11:04 PM

The documentary "DOOMED" about the making of this has been on hulu for a while now...its well worth a watch.

_+-=-+DAEMON IMMORTALIS+-=-+_

Day One is over, The Future's approaching
The embers are glowing, we're spreading the ash

#5 Fortress Ironhold

Fortress Ironhold

Blasphemer

• Banned
  • 20567 posts

Posted 03 September 2017 - 01:51 AM

Corman could probably charm his way into any studio or franchise in Hollywood, to be honest; the man is disarmingly likeable.  In this case, though, I think he got the job primarily for his well-deserved reputation of being able to stretch a budget ($1 million for this film, I think).

I'd like to see this get an official blu-ray release, personally.  Corman, the cast, and everyone involved in the production deserve it.  It's not as if Fox's efforts were any better, despite costing 100-130x more. If Shout Factory can release the 1990 Captain America, this one should be possible too.

I've seen different sources go back and forth as to what the disposition of the original prints are. 

Most agree that someone - likely Marvel - ordered the destruction of as many prints as they could obtain. 

Some sources hold that what we have now we have because a single print managed to survive, while other sources hold that what we have is derived from an unofficial copy or even a bootleg that slipped out. 

If it's the latter, then there may not be a surviving master Shout could get the footage from. 

#6 Sabrblade

Sabrblade
  • Citizen
  • 29139 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 03 September 2017 - 06:53 AM

Seen it once.

It is what it is.

"When there's gold feathers, punch behind you!!"
QUOTE(Bass X0 @ Aug 17 2013, 08:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think the concept of being educated and being able to educate is something that more people need more of in their lives.

No, we don't all know everything but we should spread and share that what we do know.

If I'm consistently misspelling a word, I would want and expect people to correct me as should I imagine all decent people who know the value of good literacy.

Its just arrogant laziness to know you're spelling a word incorrectly and not correct yourself or ignore the advice when people do tell you how to spell a word correctly.

#7 HellCat

HellCat

Opinionated idiot

• Citizen
  • 28752 posts

Posted 03 September 2017 - 07:58 AM

I can't be too hard on it mainly because I've never been a huge FF fan and I think they work best as part of the bigger Marvel universe. Putting them as the only superhumans somehow doesn't work for me, whilst making them do gooders with success and good publicity works well to balance the vigilante style heroes elsewhere.

#8 Steevy Maximus

Steevy Maximus

Snarky Siegie

• Citizen
  • 4619 posts
  • Faction::Unicron's Spawn

Posted 03 September 2017 - 08:39 AM

I mean, it's not a GREAT film by any stretch. But in the context of the "quality" of Marvel adaptions we were seeing to that point (and for several years after)...it is simply astounding at the authenticity it had to the base property. This was "completed" in 1994, yet we wouldn't get a good superhero adaption of a Marvel property until X-Men in 2000, and the argument could be made we didn't get a film with this sort of reverence for its source material until Spider-Man in 2002.

And for all its many flaws, it is still a fundamentally decent little Fantastic Four film, marred more by its own lack of budget and the quality of some of the actors than any real failures in its script or production design (within the context of its limited budget). And compared to the films we ended up getting from Fox (with several orders of magnitude more of a budget), I think this still stands as a good adaption of the property.

#9 D Immortalis

D Immortalis

I've gotta make the world know my name...

• Citizen
  • 3779 posts

Posted 03 September 2017 - 07:50 PM

I've seen different sources go back and forth as to what the disposition of the original prints are. 

Most agree that someone - likely Marvel - ordered the destruction of as many prints as they could obtain. 

Some sources hold that what we have now we have because a single print managed to survive, while other sources hold that what we have is derived from an unofficial copy or even a bootleg that slipped out. 

If it's the latter, then there may not be a surviving master Shout could get the footage 

This is finally explained in the DOOMED! documentary. One of the crew...I forget who...took a copy of it to get copied, and it leaked out from there,

_+-=-+DAEMON IMMORTALIS+-=-+_

Day One is over, The Future's approaching
The embers are glowing, we're spreading the ash

#10 000

• Citizen
  • 2803 posts

Posted 03 September 2017 - 08:09 PM

This is damning with faint praise, but it's still the best live-action FF we've had up to now.

When Alex Hyde-White popped up in a cameo in Agents Of SHIELD, I was hoping that was Marvel Studios' little nod to the Corman film, but it was probably just coincidence.

#11 Jenny

Jenny
  • Citizen
  • 22965 posts

Posted 04 September 2017 - 10:01 AM

I kinda like the mid 2000s ones. In a era of every comic film being dark, they were the only light hearted spot for a while.

Certainly better than the Chronicle guys one

staring dog stares

doggie_zpsafvtedef.png

#12 Shadewing

Shadewing

Artichoke of Misery

• Supporter
  • 36511 posts

Posted 04 September 2017 - 11:04 AM

I kinda like the mid 2000s ones. In a era of every comic film being dark, they were the only light hearted spot for a while.

Certainly better than the Chronicle guys one

They could have been better, but they did a really damn good job with Human Torch and Thing, and Silver Surfer in the second one. Personally, aside from Galactus Clod, I think the second one is a vast improvement over the first one. 

3DS Friend Code: 0387-9040-3532

Twitch Channel

Youtube Replays

VOTE for what I play on 8/30!

Friday: Sonic Generations - Sunday: Transformers WFC - Tuesday: Little Inferno

#13 ChessPieceFace

ChessPieceFace

I have approximate knowledge of many things

• Retired Staff
  • 23078 posts

Posted 04 September 2017 - 12:13 PM

The Thing suit is way better in the Corman version than in the first 2 FOX movies. But then, Corman had decades of prior experience in making creature costumes for zero dollars....

#14 NotVeryKnightly

NotVeryKnightly
  • Staff
  • 22984 posts

Posted 04 September 2017 - 12:21 PM

Wait was Raimi Spider-man even all that dark?

Edited by NotVeryKnightly, 04 September 2017 - 12:24 PM.

#15 Jenny

Jenny
  • Citizen
  • 22965 posts

Posted 04 September 2017 - 04:18 PM

Ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

Probably not, but it had its moments.

staring dog stares

doggie_zpsafvtedef.png

#16 Rust

Rust

Slightly Off

• Supporter
  • 46595 posts

Posted 05 September 2017 - 03:50 AM

Wait was Raimi Spider-man even all that dark?

Campy.

Very.

Very.

Campy.

I was cringing my way through it a few weeks ago when I watched it on a lark. Some movies age, other movies age well. Raimi's Spider-Man...it's kind of like putting on Tim Burton's Batman film and discovering the Adam West Batman film instead.

#17 NotVeryKnightly

NotVeryKnightly
  • Staff
  • 22984 posts

Posted 05 September 2017 - 06:46 AM

Now I simply have to see it again.

#18 SwiftEagle

SwiftEagle
  • Citizen
  • 6231 posts

Posted 05 September 2017 - 10:18 AM

Burton's Batman feels a lot campier in this day and age of high-quality superhero films, too.

ASM
Tomorrow's nostalgia today!

#19 skankerzero

skankerzero

Back in DFW!

• Citizen
  • 7459 posts

Posted 05 September 2017 - 10:40 AM

I love this movie. Best FF movie yet in my opinion. 

The documentary "Doomed" is also a great watch.

-----------
jesse sosa
owner / creative director
Dinosaur Games

#20 Detour

Detour

Too lazy to change the avatar but Graham Linehan is a sack of sh

• Supporter
  • 20674 posts

Posted 05 September 2017 - 11:09 AM

Burton's Batman feels a lot campier in this day and age of high-quality superhero films, too.

Burton's Batman was dark but not serious.

You're far too young to be this bitter and angry at the world....

I'm reading that with Roy's voice. Heck, I read everything you post in a laconic Irish accent.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users