Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  SG Roadbuster : (08 August 2020 - 01:53 PM)

@Nevermore yes.

@  Nevermore : (08 August 2020 - 09:11 AM)

Is $30 a good deal for Subscription Service Breakdown?

@  Trpodeca : (08 August 2020 - 06:24 AM)

Oh dear God no. Twitter has changed it's default layout to the terrible new one. Why waste so much space on the left?

@  Steevy Maximus : (07 August 2020 - 08:28 PM)

@Bass X0, yeah, the Joe comic got REALLY solid in the upper 20s to the Cobra Civil War. It's interesting to see how well the Joe comic has aged relative to the cartoon. Where as I feel the opposite is true of Transformers

@  -LittleAutob... : (07 August 2020 - 03:58 PM)

Its so fun watching past TF Conventions.

@  Bass X0 : (07 August 2020 - 02:20 PM)

I've been reading classic 80s G.I. Joe lately. Its still decent even though I don't have any nostalgia towards it.

@  Sabrblade : (07 August 2020 - 08:50 AM)

Think of it as Adam West Batman instead. ;)

@  wonko the sane? : (07 August 2020 - 07:49 AM)

That sounds more like the flash, or maybe booster gold than batman.

@  Sabrblade : (07 August 2020 - 12:27 AM)

They would get bored fighting each other and instead decide to take an epic cross-country road trip together.

@  RichardT1977 : (06 August 2020 - 08:57 PM)

What would happen if Batman were to fight Squirrel Girl?

@  PlutoniumBoss : (04 August 2020 - 09:03 PM)

Unless you count the Mask vs Lobo special, but that's less a duel and more a duet.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (04 August 2020 - 08:52 PM)

My favorite crossover fight was Thor vs Shazam/Captain Marvel. Early in the fight, Thor discovers that Billy Batson needs lightning to transform, and being a god of lightning he simply denies him that.

@  Sabrblade : (04 August 2020 - 08:46 PM)

Let's see a fight between Death Battle and Super Power Beat Down

@  TheMightyMol... : (04 August 2020 - 06:15 PM)

Which Lobo later claimed was because he was paid to take a dive. Yes, really.

@  TheMightyMol... : (04 August 2020 - 06:15 PM)

And then there's the times it's been decided by a fan vote, which is how we get things like Lobo (who can go toe-to-toe with Superman at full strength) losing to Wolverine.

@  Nevermore : (04 August 2020 - 05:49 PM)

And then there are the "but my favorite characater will totes win because I say so" people.

@  Nevermore : (04 August 2020 - 05:49 PM)

I mean, there are some people who really approach this from a somewhat reasonable standpoint, coming up with a plausible scenario and a setting that creates a fair environment that doesn't favor one character.

@  Nevermore : (04 August 2020 - 05:46 PM)

My favorite stupid "why would they even fight each other" question recently was about three versions of Optimus Prime (G1, Bayverse and Aligned).

@  Nevermore : (04 August 2020 - 05:45 PM)

Batman obviously can beat everyone. Even Galactus. He's Batman. He's so smart, he'll just throw a Batarang and hit the weak spot at Galactus's forehead, knocking him out instantaneously.

@  wonko the sane? : (04 August 2020 - 11:37 AM)

It's almost like all drama is just manufactured pissing contests to keep us all entertained and distracted. :p

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (04 August 2020 - 10:16 AM)

Or they could go White Ranger vs Scorpion route and have both win. ;P

@  ▲ndrusi : (04 August 2020 - 09:35 AM)

Besides, we all know the answer is nearly always "they fight to a standstill and then team up against a common enemy."

@  ▲ndrusi : (04 August 2020 - 09:29 AM)

The best way to prove this is to give an example where the match is really lopsided in favor of one character but in popularity they're either evenly matched or the weaker one is more popular.

@  ▲ndrusi : (04 August 2020 - 09:27 AM)

The "who would win in a fight" discussions are really just people trying to make "which one's better" into something you can theoretically measure objectively, usually in a very specific way they think they've predetermined their favorite will win.

@  Otaku : (04 August 2020 - 02:01 AM)

@Nevermore So... you're saying you didn't like DC Versus Marvel/Marvel Versus DC?

@  Steevy Maximus : (03 August 2020 - 06:59 PM)

So, what happened to Hasbro's Zoids relaunch? An English dub, some stuff in southeast Asia, and now a game coming in October? That it?

@  wonko the sane? : (03 August 2020 - 10:46 AM)

Tidal wave, cause shooting water gets you nowhere.

@  Darth Gonzo : (03 August 2020 - 09:57 AM)

Who would win Tidal Wave or Broadside?

@  -LittleAutob... : (03 August 2020 - 08:17 AM)

Btw Happy birthday to those people in the box to the right \o/

@  -LittleAutob... : (03 August 2020 - 08:16 AM)

The bottom line is obvious. It makes no literal sense to fight someone on your faction. :/

@  wonko the sane? : (03 August 2020 - 06:14 AM)

That's because you're doing it wrong. You're supposed to just stack skills and ability against each other. It's not the palace of doom, it's an episode of american gladiators.

@  Nevermore : (03 August 2020 - 04:32 AM)

The only obvious winners of such a fight would be the bad guys.

@  Nevermore : (03 August 2020 - 04:29 AM)

And what does it even matter? They should work together, not stupidly fight each other for the mindless entertainment of idiot onlookers.

@  Nevermore : (03 August 2020 - 04:29 AM)

Why would two good guys fight each other? What are they fighting over?

@  Nevermore : (03 August 2020 - 04:28 AM)

I never understood these "who would win in a fight between two good guys" discussions. They make no sense to me.

@  Maximus Ambus : (02 August 2020 - 04:17 PM)

If G1 had continued we'd have had Starscream back in spirit - through Krunk, Snapdragons partner and possibly Skullcruncher unless he was mute.

@  Bass X0 : (02 August 2020 - 12:28 PM)

There are some decent impersonators in fandubs though.

@  -LittleAutob... : (02 August 2020 - 10:45 AM)

The only true Starscream voices are Steve Blum and Chris Latta, hands down.

@  Sabrblade : (02 August 2020 - 10:14 AM)

Why they didn't have Scott McNeil voicing that Starscream, when he was the one who had imitated Chris Latta when he voiced Cobra Commander in the DiC G.I. Joe cartoon, is beyond me.

@  wonko the sane? : (02 August 2020 - 09:57 AM)

Say what you will, that was an awesome scene.

@  Maximus Ambus : (02 August 2020 - 08:36 AM)

Beast Wars Starsream "I am AIR COMMANDER Starscream of the DECEPTICON BATTLEFLEET!"

@  Nevermore : (02 August 2020 - 07:02 AM)

I liked TF: Prime Starscream.

@  -LittleAutob... : (01 August 2020 - 08:36 PM)

Hearing Starscream's screechy voice in Cyberverse has to be the most annoying thing ever in Transformers. Even his G1 voice wasn't as bad. :doh

@  -LittleAutob... : (01 August 2020 - 08:35 PM)

KUP!

@  Sabrblade : (01 August 2020 - 04:58 PM)

Urkel!

@  TheMightyMol... : (01 August 2020 - 03:16 PM)

Steeeeeeeeve.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (01 August 2020 - 02:57 AM)

LEEEROOOOOOOOY! jhenkenz...

@  Hg Dragon : (01 August 2020 - 01:21 AM)

Candleja-

@  Sabrblade : (31 July 2020 - 11:02 PM)

Beetlejuice! Beetlejuice! Beetlejuice!

@  Echowarrior : (31 July 2020 - 10:18 PM)

Spongebob!

Photo
- - - - -

Avatar: The Last Airbender / The Legend of Korra Thread

130 replies to this topic

#121 mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon

Hello, world

• Supporter
  • 19427 posts

Posted 24 July 2020 - 05:42 PM

Legend of Korra hits Netflix in August.

https://twitter.com/...605463271206912

Good, I want to see that, I resently watched Avatar for the first time and found it pretty good, I didn't really get it back in the day so I never bothered to watch it, so I'm curious about this sequel series.

Keep in mind that the third and fourth seasons of Korra are better than its first two seasons, so if you find anything in season 1 or 2 not to your liking, know that it does get better eventually.

First season is still quite strong for the first part, mind.  It just gets wrapped up a little too neatly at the end, because the writers weren't certain they were going to get another season.

In general, most of the show's faults would have been better managed had the show writers not been so paranoid about their renewal status each season.  But because they kept having to write each season as if it were their last, a number of plot points that would have served as better segues into later stories got derailed and neutered.

#122 Dvandom

Dvandom

Purveyor of Ponies. And Physics.

• Supporter
  • 17372 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 25 July 2020 - 10:48 AM

Yeah, that's basically it.  There were other network pawprints that caused problems, but the lack of a guaranteed through-arc really hurt the series.  They could have used some of the padding episodes of Season 1 to foreshadow the imbalance in the spirit world, or spend more time either foreshadowing future season antagonists as antagonists (maybe have one of the big four benders from S3 get captured and jailed during S1) or making their eventual heel turns more shocking by getting them more involved as good guys in S1.  A sort of theme did run through the series (The Balance Needs To Be Restored), but nothing like the actual series-long looming threat of Sozen's Comet.

---Dave

DAVE'S WEBPAGES
-- www.eyrie.org/~dvandom/BW --
NEWS, REVIEWS and SIGHTINGS
-- www.dvandom.com --
ARTWORK and IMAGES

Pssst...if you
can't see my images,
try my deviantArt!

#123 Destron D-69

Destron D-69

Aligned Continuity Beauty

• Supporter
  • 63285 posts
  • Faction::Lesbian Ninja

Posted 26 July 2020 - 12:09 AM

I always thought there was a series long arc...

"does the world still need an Avatar?" ..and to extend that, "How does the avatar deal with a world that might not need her?" 

especially since she's constructed her entire identity around being the Avatar.  which always makes me smile when I remember the title is "the legend of Korra" .. not Avatar Korra .. or Korra the one after Aang 

like it takes then entire run of the show for both the audience and the characters to actually meet Korra (herself included), and thus know her legend

but that's a looking back with 20-20 hindsight kind of fanonning about

honestly though, I'm torn between the two shows and think we need a 3rd one to break the tie... yep. get to work Brike   

#124 Sabrblade

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase

• Citizen
  • 30622 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 26 July 2020 - 09:30 AM

The third Avatar should be something totally off the wall. Like, the Avatar reincarnates as something that isn't even human, like a squirrel or a wolf or even a robot!

:p

"When there's gold feathers, punch behind you!!"
QUOTE(Bass X0 @ Aug 17 2013, 08:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think the concept of being educated and being able to educate is something that more people need more of in their lives.

No, we don't all know everything but we should spread and share that what we do know.

If I'm consistently misspelling a word, I would want and expect people to correct me as should I imagine all decent people who know the value of good literacy.

Its just arrogant laziness to know you're spelling a word incorrectly and not correct yourself or ignore the advice when people do tell you how to spell a word correctly.

#125 Noideaforaname

Noideaforaname

Spooking Anybody

• Citizen
  • 3146 posts

Posted 26 July 2020 - 09:35 AM

"THAT LEMUR, HE'S THE EARTHBENDING AVATAR!"

#126 Paladin

Paladin

Have Zord, Will Travel

• Citizen
  • 13473 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 26 July 2020 - 09:46 AM

I always thought there was a series long arc...

"does the world still need an Avatar?" ..and to extend that, "How does the avatar deal with a world that might not need her?" 

especially since she's constructed her entire identity around being the Avatar.  which always makes me smile when I remember the title is "the legend of Korra" .. not Avatar Korra .. or Korra the one after Aang 

like it takes then entire run of the show for both the audience and the characters to actually meet Korra (herself included), and thus know her legend

but that's a looking back with 20-20 hindsight kind of fanonning about

honestly though, I'm torn between the two shows and think we need a 3rd one to break the tie... yep. get to work Brike   

Aangs' story is of a human learning to be the Avatar. 

Korras' is that of an Avatar learning to be human. 

Stuff for sale; every little bit helps. :) https://www.allspark.com/forums/topic/143212-for-sale-3p-mp-potp-super-sentai-stuff TWITTER: Paladin4221

#127 Thylacine 2000

Thylacine 2000

Charismatic Megafauna

• Citizen
  • 17144 posts

Posted Yesterday, 09:50 AM

My daughter is a crazed ATLA fangirl now, she has marathonned the show in full 5 times and watches YouTube and TikTok fan videos about it and is begging for as many t-shirts as we'll get for her. 

My son (11) was more restrained, but he did marathon all 3 seasons in 2 days and loved it.  He is looking forward to LOK coming to Netflix (I'm not re-signing up and re-canceling CBS All Access after a free week again). 

Daughter and I read The Promise.  Art is gorgeous and 100% accurate, pretty much all the dialogue and characters are great too.  The only weak spot is Zuko, seeming strung-out and insane for no real reason and being dragged far too quickly into another war.  It would be out of character for him to not be leaning on Iroh, who would have solved everything in 3 pages, so they even lampshaded that by having Zuko say he'd given Iroh a vacation and didn't want to interrupt him.... sounds fake but ok.  Also Aang was pretty suspiciously forgetful of having de-benderized Ozai instead of killing him, because all of his dialogue about his vow to Zuko is about killing and not de-benderizing.  And then he says "if I have to kill you, I guess I will"!  Like no, that wasn't the point of "Sozin's Comet" at all!

I also got my daughter the "Rise of Kyoshi" young reader's book, which turned out to be really not for young readers at all, it's just filed there because it's franchise fantasy, but it's a complicated book that's beyond an 8-year-old.  So now I"m reading it!  Great worldbuilding, great view of the life of a conflicted beginner Avatar, and all of Team Avatar Kyoshi are well-realized and engrossing.  The only problem with the book is that it's so devoted to worldbuilding and character webs that there's less of a focus on Kyoshi herself; her emotions and motives seem less convincing and thought-out than most of the secondary characters.  Still a good read and I'm sure I'll get the sequel too, which just came out a few days ago.  

Edited by Thylacine 2000, Yesterday, 09:51 AM.

#128 Trpodeca

Trpodeca
  • Citizen
  • 507 posts

Posted Yesterday, 07:47 PM

The Kyoshi books are good. They have a different approach to the franchise.

I sure wish I hadn't misspelt my username.....

#129 Fero McPigletron

Fero McPigletron

Not a Maverick! Maybe.

• Citizen
  • 9214 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted Today, 09:45 AM

You're not an Avatar fan until you get sorted to a house, er, pick what element you're likely bend, hehe.

(I'm probably an earth bender. Because I'm close to the earth. Because I lie down a lot, haha.)

FWXOT0z.gif

TOY DRAMA THEATER!

1 minute of (minimal) lights, (steady) camera and...  ACTION FIGURES! (mostly Transformers) - Episode 031: Combiners and chest envy 

Episodes here

#130 Dvandom

Dvandom

Purveyor of Ponies. And Physics.

• Supporter
  • 17372 posts

Posted Today, 10:23 AM

A sorting test would need to be more than just the four nations.

Fire: Homeland, Colonial, Sun Warrior
Water: North, South, Swamp
Earth: Ba Sing Se, Kyoshi Island, Omashu, Occupied Territory 
Air: Pre-Sozen, Post-Convergence, Aang Clan

And then toss in Metal Benders, Levelers, and Republic City (non-bending, bending) at the least.  Might need a few more Korra-era choices to balance some of the ATLA-era specific ones.

---Dave

DAVE'S WEBPAGES
-- www.eyrie.org/~dvandom/BW --
NEWS, REVIEWS and SIGHTINGS
-- www.dvandom.com --
ARTWORK and IMAGES

Pssst...if you
can't see my images,
try my deviantArt!

#131 Thylacine 2000

Thylacine 2000

Charismatic Megafauna

• Citizen
  • 17144 posts

Posted Today, 03:29 PM

Is every Avatar okay with leaving all those people in the Fog of Lost Souls?

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users