Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  OverDrive73 : (10 August 2020 - 01:05 PM)

Perhaps it's simple word association the movie Sinbad and then our minds apply the same memories to a man named Sinbad.

@  OverDrive73 : (10 August 2020 - 01:04 PM)

The Mandela Effect is the same as people remembering Sinbad in a movie where he played a genie... Of which he never did.

@  MidnightFox : (10 August 2020 - 09:36 AM)

People that believe Mandela Effect things would rather come up with any number of reasons as to why their version doesn't have any actual evidence(like alternate timelines collapsing into our own) than just admit they remembered something wrong

@  MidnightFox : (10 August 2020 - 09:35 AM)

Sort of. It's more that when presented with a verifiable fact, they double down because it's what they believe instead of changing their minds

@  ▲ndrusi : (10 August 2020 - 09:25 AM)

"I could have sworn that ______."

@  ▲ndrusi : (10 August 2020 - 09:25 AM)

I'm not arguing with either of those two statements, but they're not really connected. Mandela Effect is, to oversimplify, people being widely mistaken about what they think *is* a verifiable fact. Nothing to do with opinions.

@  MidnightFox : (10 August 2020 - 08:52 AM)

Pretty sure the Mandela Effect in general is an American thing. Opinion > Verifiable Facts is sadly a pretty American thing

@  Nevermore : (10 August 2020 - 04:27 AM)

Ask these people how Apartheid ended according to their recollection, and I'm sure they'll draw a blank.

@  Nevermore : (10 August 2020 - 04:25 AM)

You got two black anti-Apartheid activists who were imprisoned by the oppressive regime. One died, the other was Nelson Mandela. It's not a far stretch that Americans who don't know many details about the history of other countries would mix up the two.

@  Nevermore : (10 August 2020 - 04:24 AM)

My own theory is that these people are simply mixing up Nelson Mandela and Steve Biko, another South African anti-Apartheid activist, who did indeed die in police custody in 1977. There was an Oscar-nominated movie about his life starring Denzel Washington that came out in 1987, the same time frame these people claim remembering Mandela dying.

@  Nevermore : (10 August 2020 - 04:17 AM)

I met a few people from South Africa, and they either never heard of the phenomenon at all, or only know of it from the internet. Apparently, it's completely unknown in South Africa, and it might even be entirely limited to the United States.

@  Nevermore : (10 August 2020 - 04:16 AM)

So does anyone remember the "Mandela Effect"? I'm talking specifically about the original case where many people vividly remember Nelson Mandela dying in prison in the 1980s.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (10 August 2020 - 03:16 AM)

Crisis of Corona.

@  TheMightyMol... : (09 August 2020 - 06:16 PM)

Which crisis crossover are we on now? I lost track.

@  Rycochet : (09 August 2020 - 05:18 PM)

Much of the past decade has been the part of the comic series where less than stellar authors have driven the series into the ground and the editors are getting ready to either do a big multi issue crossover, leading to a reboot.

@  Bass X0 : (09 August 2020 - 02:28 PM)

At this point I've just decided to consider 2020 "not canon."

@  TheMightyMol... : (09 August 2020 - 02:18 PM)

'member Pepperidge Farm?

@  Maximus Ambus : (09 August 2020 - 02:10 PM)

Before the 'member berries there was Pepperidge farm. Pepperidge farm remembers.

@  OverDrive73 : (09 August 2020 - 12:21 PM)

>>>Shameless Plug<<< FYI. posted the last part of Quest for Tires in Allspark Pictures

@  SG Roadbuster : (08 August 2020 - 01:53 PM)

@Nevermore yes.

@  Nevermore : (08 August 2020 - 09:11 AM)

Is $30 a good deal for Subscription Service Breakdown?

@  Trpodeca : (08 August 2020 - 06:24 AM)

Oh dear God no. Twitter has changed it's default layout to the terrible new one. Why waste so much space on the left?

@  Steevy Maximus : (07 August 2020 - 08:28 PM)

@Bass X0, yeah, the Joe comic got REALLY solid in the upper 20s to the Cobra Civil War. It's interesting to see how well the Joe comic has aged relative to the cartoon. Where as I feel the opposite is true of Transformers

@  -LittleAutob... : (07 August 2020 - 03:58 PM)

Its so fun watching past TF Conventions.

@  Bass X0 : (07 August 2020 - 02:20 PM)

I've been reading classic 80s G.I. Joe lately. Its still decent even though I don't have any nostalgia towards it.

@  Sabrblade : (07 August 2020 - 08:50 AM)

Think of it as Adam West Batman instead. ;)

@  wonko the sane? : (07 August 2020 - 07:49 AM)

That sounds more like the flash, or maybe booster gold than batman.

@  Sabrblade : (07 August 2020 - 12:27 AM)

They would get bored fighting each other and instead decide to take an epic cross-country road trip together.

@  RichardT1977 : (06 August 2020 - 08:57 PM)

What would happen if Batman were to fight Squirrel Girl?

@  PlutoniumBoss : (04 August 2020 - 09:03 PM)

Unless you count the Mask vs Lobo special, but that's less a duel and more a duet.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (04 August 2020 - 08:52 PM)

My favorite crossover fight was Thor vs Shazam/Captain Marvel. Early in the fight, Thor discovers that Billy Batson needs lightning to transform, and being a god of lightning he simply denies him that.

@  Sabrblade : (04 August 2020 - 08:46 PM)

Let's see a fight between Death Battle and Super Power Beat Down

@  TheMightyMol... : (04 August 2020 - 06:15 PM)

Which Lobo later claimed was because he was paid to take a dive. Yes, really.

@  TheMightyMol... : (04 August 2020 - 06:15 PM)

And then there's the times it's been decided by a fan vote, which is how we get things like Lobo (who can go toe-to-toe with Superman at full strength) losing to Wolverine.

@  Nevermore : (04 August 2020 - 05:49 PM)

And then there are the "but my favorite characater will totes win because I say so" people.

@  Nevermore : (04 August 2020 - 05:49 PM)

I mean, there are some people who really approach this from a somewhat reasonable standpoint, coming up with a plausible scenario and a setting that creates a fair environment that doesn't favor one character.

@  Nevermore : (04 August 2020 - 05:46 PM)

My favorite stupid "why would they even fight each other" question recently was about three versions of Optimus Prime (G1, Bayverse and Aligned).

@  Nevermore : (04 August 2020 - 05:45 PM)

Batman obviously can beat everyone. Even Galactus. He's Batman. He's so smart, he'll just throw a Batarang and hit the weak spot at Galactus's forehead, knocking him out instantaneously.

@  wonko the sane? : (04 August 2020 - 11:37 AM)

It's almost like all drama is just manufactured pissing contests to keep us all entertained and distracted. :p

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (04 August 2020 - 10:16 AM)

Or they could go White Ranger vs Scorpion route and have both win. ;P

@  ▲ndrusi : (04 August 2020 - 09:35 AM)

Besides, we all know the answer is nearly always "they fight to a standstill and then team up against a common enemy."

@  ▲ndrusi : (04 August 2020 - 09:29 AM)

The best way to prove this is to give an example where the match is really lopsided in favor of one character but in popularity they're either evenly matched or the weaker one is more popular.

@  ▲ndrusi : (04 August 2020 - 09:27 AM)

The "who would win in a fight" discussions are really just people trying to make "which one's better" into something you can theoretically measure objectively, usually in a very specific way they think they've predetermined their favorite will win.

@  Otaku : (04 August 2020 - 02:01 AM)

@Nevermore So... you're saying you didn't like DC Versus Marvel/Marvel Versus DC?

@  Steevy Maximus : (03 August 2020 - 06:59 PM)

So, what happened to Hasbro's Zoids relaunch? An English dub, some stuff in southeast Asia, and now a game coming in October? That it?

@  wonko the sane? : (03 August 2020 - 10:46 AM)

Tidal wave, cause shooting water gets you nowhere.

@  Darth Gonzo : (03 August 2020 - 09:57 AM)

Who would win Tidal Wave or Broadside?

@  -LittleAutob... : (03 August 2020 - 08:17 AM)

Btw Happy birthday to those people in the box to the right \o/

@  -LittleAutob... : (03 August 2020 - 08:16 AM)

The bottom line is obvious. It makes no literal sense to fight someone on your faction. :/

@  wonko the sane? : (03 August 2020 - 06:14 AM)

That's because you're doing it wrong. You're supposed to just stack skills and ability against each other. It's not the palace of doom, it's an episode of american gladiators.

Photo
- - - - -

Avatar: The Last Airbender / The Legend of Korra Thread

130 replies to this topic

#101 Sabrblade

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase

• Citizen
  • 30635 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 09 July 2020 - 09:43 PM

"Did they just say 'Uh-vatar'?"

To be a little fair to that one, the way they pronounce "Avatar" in the movie is technically not wrong, as it's closer to the original Hindi pronunciation. I took an Asian Humanities course and a World Religions course back in community college and when discussing Hinduism, both of my professors pronounced the word like it's spoken in the movie.

The way it's said in the show (and pretty much everywhere else in popular culture) is merely the Westernized pronunciation.

Now, every single other weird name pronunciation in the movie, however, is definitely wrong. You can blame Shyamalan for thinking that they were all Japanese names that the show mispronounced and thus he claimed that he was trying to "restore" them to their "original Asian pronunciations". :rolleyes

(I quite like this version of Iroh, as different as he his from his beloved cartoon counterpart)

All thanks to Shaun Toub's natural charm and acting chops. I've seen him in a few other films and he's great in them too. He's probably the most decent character in this movie.

I'm sorry they're both over. The Promise TPB omnibus has been delayed to late August, and the one time I tried to watch Dragon Prince, I just couldn't get into it. Sort of like RID15, it seemed a perfectly pleasant show that just never held my interest due to a lack of emotional bonding out of the gate. Was I premature about that? Is there anything else recommended as daddy-daughter cartoons?

The Dragon Prince is definitely worth the watch, arguably moreso than Korra. The first batch of episodes had an issue with an intentionally low frame rate, but that goes away beginning with the second batch of episodes onward. And as the episodes continue it gets better and better. Some have even called it the true spiritual successor to ATLA.

"When there's gold feathers, punch behind you!!"
QUOTE(Bass X0 @ Aug 17 2013, 08:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think the concept of being educated and being able to educate is something that more people need more of in their lives.

No, we don't all know everything but we should spread and share that what we do know.

If I'm consistently misspelling a word, I would want and expect people to correct me as should I imagine all decent people who know the value of good literacy.

Its just arrogant laziness to know you're spelling a word incorrectly and not correct yourself or ignore the advice when people do tell you how to spell a word correctly.

#102 Trpodeca

Trpodeca
  • Citizen
  • 507 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 10 July 2020 - 02:00 AM

If you want to read the comics, The Promise while having some good elements, is kind of a rough start. Still it does get better from there.

There's also The Rise of Kyoshi book which is good.

I sure wish I hadn't misspelt my username.....

#103 Fero McPigletron

Fero McPigletron

Not a Maverick! Maybe.

• Citizen
  • 9217 posts

Posted 10 July 2020 - 03:31 AM

Daddy Daughter recommended cartoons...

Would Star vs the Forces of Evil be ok for that? (for those who saw it, is it?)

You just have to get past the first season of silly, one shot, human side adventures. Once S2 happens, it's epic epic EPIC with cultural and socio political themes. Sad that we lost the more kinetic animation though.

Also, River is Star's father and they have a lovely relationship. (Seriously, haha)

FWXOT0z.gif

TOY DRAMA THEATER!

1 minute of (minimal) lights, (steady) camera and...  ACTION FIGURES! (mostly Transformers) - Episode 031: Combiners and chest envy 

Episodes here

#104 Cybersnark

Cybersnark

Sorry I'm late. Had to get my powersuit.

• Citizen
  • 11761 posts
  • Faction::Equestrian

Posted 10 July 2020 - 08:56 AM

I'd also recommend Tangled: The Series (complete after three seasons), Amphibia (S2 starts this weekend), Carmen Sandiego (two seasons out, with more on the way), Kipo and the Age of Wonderbeasts (two seasons, more coming), and The Owl House (11 episodes are out, S1 returns this weekend [stopped for the pandemic]).

There's also Infinity Train, but it may be a little intense (there's some almost Cronenbergian body-horror and real-life psychological trauma [divorced parents, teen runaway, potentially-fatal bullying, etc]).

EDIT: Duh, also She-Ra!

Edited by Cybersnark, 10 July 2020 - 08:58 AM.

#105 Thylacine 2000

Thylacine 2000

Charismatic Megafauna

• Citizen
  • 17144 posts

Posted 10 July 2020 - 09:18 AM

Thank you to everyone who made recommendations.  

We've already watched New She-Ra - it was the "You may also like" that appeared after the final episode that made me realize ATLA was still available at all.  

I've given Dragon Prince the old college try twice and really cannot get into it.  Same with New Voltron.  Maybe subsequent episodes are better, but I want more of a "sure thing" for a parent / child shared cartoon. 

Fortunately, first try of Kipo and the Wonderbeasts looked decent enough, so I think that will be our next target.  Here's hoping!   

#106 Fero McPigletron

Fero McPigletron

Not a Maverick! Maybe.

• Citizen
  • 9217 posts

Posted 11 July 2020 - 04:02 AM

Oh, you're Netflix flipping. You can try Hilda too, since it's there. The main character is younger than the usual teen toons but her adventures are imaginative, very cool and surprisingly a little scary.

It's way more grounded that the other shows since Hilda lives with her mother and they have a very strong bond. She actually understands here daughter and is very supportive, which is different from the 'parents don't believe the kids so the kids have to rebel' sort of thing.

FWXOT0z.gif

TOY DRAMA THEATER!

1 minute of (minimal) lights, (steady) camera and...  ACTION FIGURES! (mostly Transformers) - Episode 031: Combiners and chest envy 

Episodes here

#107 Fenix Twilight

Fenix Twilight
  • Citizen
  • 5260 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 12 July 2020 - 09:41 PM

I'd also recommend Tangled: The Series (complete after three seasons), Amphibia (S2 starts this weekend), Carmen Sandiego (two seasons out, with more on the way), Kipo and the Age of Wonderbeasts (two seasons, more coming), and The Owl House (11 episodes are out, S1 returns this weekend [stopped for the pandemic]).

There's also Infinity Train, but it may be a little intense (there's some almost Cronenbergian body-horror and real-life psychological trauma [divorced parents, teen runaway, potentially-fatal bullying, etc]).

EDIT: Duh, also She-Ra!

I was about to recommend Tangled the Series, I watched it with my niece and it's great. Just be sure to watch the TV movie Before Ever After first if you give it a try.

I was wondering if anyone read the Kyoshi book and how it was? I always wanted to learn more about the previous Avatars.

#108 Sabrblade

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase

• Citizen
  • 30635 posts

Posted 12 July 2020 - 09:57 PM

Speaking of the Avatar/Korra comics, what all is and isn't canon to the shows?

I know The Promise, The Search, and The Rift are canon, as well as the short comics that were set during the three seasons of ALTA, and that one motion comic that was set during Aang's coma between season 2 and 3, but what about everything else?

I think the concept of being educated and being able to educate is something that more people need more of in their lives.

No, we don't all know everything but we should spread and share that what we do know.

If I'm consistently misspelling a word, I would want and expect people to correct me as should I imagine all decent people who know the value of good literacy.

Its just arrogant laziness to know you're spelling a word incorrectly and not correct yourself or ignore the advice when people do tell you how to spell a word correctly.

#109 Cybersnark

Cybersnark

Sorry I'm late. Had to get my powersuit.

• Citizen
  • 11761 posts
  • Faction::Equestrian

Posted 12 July 2020 - 10:01 PM

There's another Kyoshi book coming out. . . This month or next. I'm not sure.

#110 Trpodeca

Trpodeca
  • Citizen
  • 507 posts

Posted 13 July 2020 - 01:34 AM

I think all the short comics are canon (except for two of the more comedic ones), their just unlikely to ever be referenced in anyway. The most important of these, are the ones which bridge the gap between Book Two and Three. 

The next Kyoshi book is coming out later this month. Amazon put up the first four chapters....and most of the epilogue spoiling the whole book. 

EDIT: Oh yeah, there's also Zuko's Story, a fake manga tie-in to the live action film. Despite nominally being a movie tie-in, it actually has several show only things. It's a prequel focusing on Zuko's exile.

And that's the Avatar expanded universe. 

Edited by Trpodeca, 13 July 2020 - 01:49 AM.

#111 Thylacine 2000

Thylacine 2000

Charismatic Megafauna

• Citizen
  • 17144 posts

Posted 15 July 2020 - 07:48 PM

Daughter is vaguely interested in Kipo, but much preferred to re-binge ATLA by herself. She started this past weekend and is on the Secret Tunnel Song episode now. I catch some when I can but just can't do a full rewatch so soon.

#112 Powered Convoy

Powered Convoy

Skywarp Connoisseur

• Retired Staff
  • 67482 posts
  • Faction::RIRFIB

Posted 15 July 2020 - 10:08 PM

I will echo that Hilda is really good. The animation is brilliant too (it's done by Mercury Filmworks, which did the first few episodes of Star VS) and I find the story to be a bit more intelligent than some other contemporaries.

The fiance and I binged the whole first season of Airbender today. It's been probably about 11 or 12 years since we've seen the whole thing, so I had forgotten how good it can be.

ACItEK8.png

#113 Trpodeca

Trpodeca
  • Citizen
  • 507 posts

Posted 21 July 2020 - 07:29 AM

Yay.

The Shadow of Kyoshi, the next Avatar book has been released today.

I pre-ordered my copy months ago, and hopefully it should arrive in another week or so. I've spent weeks avoiding spoilers and leaks.

#114 Paladin

Paladin

Have Zord, Will Travel

• Citizen
  • 13476 posts

Posted 21 July 2020 - 11:40 AM

Legend of Korra hits Netflix in August.

https://twitter.com/...605463271206912

Stuff for sale; every little bit helps. :) https://www.allspark.com/forums/topic/143212-for-sale-3p-mp-potp-super-sentai-stuff TWITTER: Paladin4221

#115 Superomegaprime

Superomegaprime
  • Citizen
  • 4007 posts

Posted 21 July 2020 - 07:07 PM

Good, I want to see that, I resently watched Avatar for the first time and found it pretty good, I didn't really get it back in the day so I never bothered to watch it, so I'm curious about this sequel series.

36428543702_ff3b1fc457_m.jpg

#116 Powered Convoy

Powered Convoy

Skywarp Connoisseur

• Retired Staff
  • 67482 posts

Posted 21 July 2020 - 07:21 PM

Saves me from putting the Blu-rays in when I go to rewatch it soon.

ACItEK8.png

#117 Powered Convoy

Powered Convoy

Skywarp Connoisseur

• Retired Staff
  • 67482 posts

Posted 21 July 2020 - 09:43 PM

https://www.reddit.c...tm_source=share

ACItEK8.png

#118 Sabrblade

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase

• Citizen
  • 30635 posts

Posted 21 July 2020 - 09:43 PM

Good, I want to see that, I resently watched Avatar for the first time and found it pretty good, I didn't really get it back in the day so I never bothered to watch it, so I'm curious about this sequel series.

Keep in mind that the third and fourth seasons of Korra are better than its first two seasons, so if you find anything in season 1 or 2 not to your liking, know that it does get better eventually.

#119 Sabrblade

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase

• Citizen
  • 30635 posts

Posted 24 July 2020 - 04:15 PM

#120 Thylacine 2000

Thylacine 2000

Charismatic Megafauna

• Citizen
  • 17144 posts

Posted 24 July 2020 - 05:33 PM

The Promise TPB is delayed again, again. New release date will be in an iceberg in 100 years.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users