Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  SG Roadbuster : (08 August 2020 - 01:53 PM)

@Nevermore yes.

@  Nevermore : (08 August 2020 - 09:11 AM)

Is $30 a good deal for Subscription Service Breakdown?

@  Trpodeca : (08 August 2020 - 06:24 AM)

Oh dear God no. Twitter has changed it's default layout to the terrible new one. Why waste so much space on the left?

@  Steevy Maximus : (07 August 2020 - 08:28 PM)

@Bass X0, yeah, the Joe comic got REALLY solid in the upper 20s to the Cobra Civil War. It's interesting to see how well the Joe comic has aged relative to the cartoon. Where as I feel the opposite is true of Transformers

@  -LittleAutob... : (07 August 2020 - 03:58 PM)

Its so fun watching past TF Conventions.

@  Bass X0 : (07 August 2020 - 02:20 PM)

I've been reading classic 80s G.I. Joe lately. Its still decent even though I don't have any nostalgia towards it.

@  Sabrblade : (07 August 2020 - 08:50 AM)

Think of it as Adam West Batman instead. ;)

@  wonko the sane? : (07 August 2020 - 07:49 AM)

That sounds more like the flash, or maybe booster gold than batman.

@  Sabrblade : (07 August 2020 - 12:27 AM)

They would get bored fighting each other and instead decide to take an epic cross-country road trip together.

@  RichardT1977 : (06 August 2020 - 08:57 PM)

What would happen if Batman were to fight Squirrel Girl?

@  PlutoniumBoss : (04 August 2020 - 09:03 PM)

Unless you count the Mask vs Lobo special, but that's less a duel and more a duet.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (04 August 2020 - 08:52 PM)

My favorite crossover fight was Thor vs Shazam/Captain Marvel. Early in the fight, Thor discovers that Billy Batson needs lightning to transform, and being a god of lightning he simply denies him that.

@  Sabrblade : (04 August 2020 - 08:46 PM)

Let's see a fight between Death Battle and Super Power Beat Down

@  TheMightyMol... : (04 August 2020 - 06:15 PM)

Which Lobo later claimed was because he was paid to take a dive. Yes, really.

@  TheMightyMol... : (04 August 2020 - 06:15 PM)

And then there's the times it's been decided by a fan vote, which is how we get things like Lobo (who can go toe-to-toe with Superman at full strength) losing to Wolverine.

@  Nevermore : (04 August 2020 - 05:49 PM)

And then there are the "but my favorite characater will totes win because I say so" people.

@  Nevermore : (04 August 2020 - 05:49 PM)

I mean, there are some people who really approach this from a somewhat reasonable standpoint, coming up with a plausible scenario and a setting that creates a fair environment that doesn't favor one character.

@  Nevermore : (04 August 2020 - 05:46 PM)

My favorite stupid "why would they even fight each other" question recently was about three versions of Optimus Prime (G1, Bayverse and Aligned).

@  Nevermore : (04 August 2020 - 05:45 PM)

Batman obviously can beat everyone. Even Galactus. He's Batman. He's so smart, he'll just throw a Batarang and hit the weak spot at Galactus's forehead, knocking him out instantaneously.

@  wonko the sane? : (04 August 2020 - 11:37 AM)

It's almost like all drama is just manufactured pissing contests to keep us all entertained and distracted. :p

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (04 August 2020 - 10:16 AM)

Or they could go White Ranger vs Scorpion route and have both win. ;P

@  ▲ndrusi : (04 August 2020 - 09:35 AM)

Besides, we all know the answer is nearly always "they fight to a standstill and then team up against a common enemy."

@  ▲ndrusi : (04 August 2020 - 09:29 AM)

The best way to prove this is to give an example where the match is really lopsided in favor of one character but in popularity they're either evenly matched or the weaker one is more popular.

@  ▲ndrusi : (04 August 2020 - 09:27 AM)

The "who would win in a fight" discussions are really just people trying to make "which one's better" into something you can theoretically measure objectively, usually in a very specific way they think they've predetermined their favorite will win.

@  Otaku : (04 August 2020 - 02:01 AM)

@Nevermore So... you're saying you didn't like DC Versus Marvel/Marvel Versus DC?

@  Steevy Maximus : (03 August 2020 - 06:59 PM)

So, what happened to Hasbro's Zoids relaunch? An English dub, some stuff in southeast Asia, and now a game coming in October? That it?

@  wonko the sane? : (03 August 2020 - 10:46 AM)

Tidal wave, cause shooting water gets you nowhere.

@  Darth Gonzo : (03 August 2020 - 09:57 AM)

Who would win Tidal Wave or Broadside?

@  -LittleAutob... : (03 August 2020 - 08:17 AM)

Btw Happy birthday to those people in the box to the right \o/

@  -LittleAutob... : (03 August 2020 - 08:16 AM)

The bottom line is obvious. It makes no literal sense to fight someone on your faction. :/

@  wonko the sane? : (03 August 2020 - 06:14 AM)

That's because you're doing it wrong. You're supposed to just stack skills and ability against each other. It's not the palace of doom, it's an episode of american gladiators.

@  Nevermore : (03 August 2020 - 04:32 AM)

The only obvious winners of such a fight would be the bad guys.

@  Nevermore : (03 August 2020 - 04:29 AM)

And what does it even matter? They should work together, not stupidly fight each other for the mindless entertainment of idiot onlookers.

@  Nevermore : (03 August 2020 - 04:29 AM)

Why would two good guys fight each other? What are they fighting over?

@  Nevermore : (03 August 2020 - 04:28 AM)

I never understood these "who would win in a fight between two good guys" discussions. They make no sense to me.

@  Maximus Ambus : (02 August 2020 - 04:17 PM)

If G1 had continued we'd have had Starscream back in spirit - through Krunk, Snapdragons partner and possibly Skullcruncher unless he was mute.

@  Bass X0 : (02 August 2020 - 12:28 PM)

There are some decent impersonators in fandubs though.

@  -LittleAutob... : (02 August 2020 - 10:45 AM)

The only true Starscream voices are Steve Blum and Chris Latta, hands down.

@  Sabrblade : (02 August 2020 - 10:14 AM)

Why they didn't have Scott McNeil voicing that Starscream, when he was the one who had imitated Chris Latta when he voiced Cobra Commander in the DiC G.I. Joe cartoon, is beyond me.

@  wonko the sane? : (02 August 2020 - 09:57 AM)

Say what you will, that was an awesome scene.

@  Maximus Ambus : (02 August 2020 - 08:36 AM)

Beast Wars Starsream "I am AIR COMMANDER Starscream of the DECEPTICON BATTLEFLEET!"

@  Nevermore : (02 August 2020 - 07:02 AM)

I liked TF: Prime Starscream.

@  -LittleAutob... : (01 August 2020 - 08:36 PM)

Hearing Starscream's screechy voice in Cyberverse has to be the most annoying thing ever in Transformers. Even his G1 voice wasn't as bad. :doh

@  -LittleAutob... : (01 August 2020 - 08:35 PM)

KUP!

@  Sabrblade : (01 August 2020 - 04:58 PM)

Urkel!

@  TheMightyMol... : (01 August 2020 - 03:16 PM)

Steeeeeeeeve.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (01 August 2020 - 02:57 AM)

LEEEROOOOOOOOY! jhenkenz...

@  Hg Dragon : (01 August 2020 - 01:21 AM)

Candleja-

@  Sabrblade : (31 July 2020 - 11:02 PM)

Beetlejuice! Beetlejuice! Beetlejuice!

@  Echowarrior : (31 July 2020 - 10:18 PM)

Spongebob!

Photo
- - - - -

Avatar: The Last Airbender / The Legend of Korra Thread

130 replies to this topic

#41 SHIELD Agent 47

SHIELD Agent 47

Skull Leader

• Retired Staff
  • 10055 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 21 September 2018 - 12:10 PM

Yup.

Water Tribe represents the polar hunter-gatherer Inuit

Earth Kingdom represents the continental Chinese

Fire Nation represents the technologically advanced islandic Japanese

Air Nomads represent the peaceful and monastic Tibetans

#42 Destron D-69

Destron D-69

Aligned Continuity Beauty

• Supporter
  • 63286 posts
  • Faction::Lesbian Ninja

Posted 22 September 2018 - 01:06 AM

inspired by.. as opposed to actual representation. as long as they look the part, I don't think they need to be from any particular cultural background to play any particular made up imaginary cultural background.

I mean British people play Americans all the time   XD 

#43 Fero McPigletron

Fero McPigletron

Not a Maverick! Maybe.

• Citizen
  • 9214 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 22 September 2018 - 02:54 AM

Black representation is going to be included. Somewhere.

It's going to rock if they actually do a teen Aang story. The comic already have the immediate adventures after the TV show but Aang, Katara, Sokka and Toph as young adults, with new set of threats, would be nice. Aang died at... 31, right?

FWXOT0z.gif

TOY DRAMA THEATER!

1 minute of (minimal) lights, (steady) camera and...  ACTION FIGURES! (mostly Transformers) - Episode 031: Combiners and chest envy 

Episodes here

#44 Destron D-69

Destron D-69

• Supporter
  • 63286 posts

Posted 22 September 2018 - 03:09 AM

I can't remember what was said about it in Korra, but, I'm not entirely sure what else can be done with these characters in the time frame given between events we know about. It's not like most of these characters didn't basically already all grew up and have established the relationships that they stick with ... except for Toph of course XD

now were we to get a show about Zuko being a dad... that would be interesting 

#45 Fero McPigletron

Fero McPigletron

Not a Maverick! Maybe.

• Citizen
  • 9214 posts

Posted 22 September 2018 - 05:21 AM

Well, it would kinda be boring to meet and marry the first person you like. Maybe Aang meets a new person or Katara, the same. I mean, we still don't know if Jet died or not (hahaha).

The comics actually show Mei breaking up with Zuko. I don't know if they got back together too.

FWXOT0z.gif

TOY DRAMA THEATER!

1 minute of (minimal) lights, (steady) camera and...  ACTION FIGURES! (mostly Transformers) - Episode 031: Combiners and chest envy 

Episodes here

#46 Paladin

Paladin

Have Zord, Will Travel

• Citizen
  • 13473 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 22 September 2018 - 06:37 AM

Aang died at... 31, right?

well, technically- 167. 

Edited by Paladin, 22 September 2018 - 06:37 AM.

Stuff for sale; every little bit helps. :) https://www.allspark.com/forums/topic/143212-for-sale-3p-mp-potp-super-sentai-stuff TWITTER: Paladin4221

#47 Destron D-69

Destron D-69

• Supporter
  • 63286 posts

Posted 22 September 2018 - 10:23 AM

Aang and Katara have 3 kids, I'm not really interested in watching a show about the breakup and then eventual regetbacktogetherof of two characters that don't need to have that happen. It's entirely forced drama and there's no stakes involved because we already know the outcome.

as for Zuko, he's got what's her name, the earth kingdom woman waiting for him and he's the firelord ... he's going to do fine. 

Now Sokka, there's a guy who's lovelife might be interesting. though I'm sure him and Suki work it out. eventually ... maybe. if he doesn't screw it up 

too often. 

#48 Sabrblade

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase

• Citizen
  • 30624 posts

Posted 22 September 2018 - 10:57 AM

There's also those side story comics that can be worked into the main cartoon storyline, about half of which were just comedy bits but the other half were actual extensions/continuations/in-between-events for episodes that either explained elaborated on a few things that the show didn't (the events set between Books 2 and 3, in particular).

"When there's gold feathers, punch behind you!!"
QUOTE(Bass X0 @ Aug 17 2013, 08:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think the concept of being educated and being able to educate is something that more people need more of in their lives.

No, we don't all know everything but we should spread and share that what we do know.

If I'm consistently misspelling a word, I would want and expect people to correct me as should I imagine all decent people who know the value of good literacy.

Its just arrogant laziness to know you're spelling a word incorrectly and not correct yourself or ignore the advice when people do tell you how to spell a word correctly.

#49 Fero McPigletron

Fero McPigletron

Not a Maverick! Maybe.

• Citizen
  • 9214 posts

Posted 28 October 2018 - 05:26 AM

Went to a Halloween corporate event and one section set up a whole Avatar the Last Airbender theme. Very cool but before that, I met the littlest Avatar I've seen, hehe.

Didn't realize Aang would be so gleefully violent though, haha. Is.

FWXOT0z.gif

TOY DRAMA THEATER!

Episodes here

#50 Powered Convoy

Powered Convoy

Skywarp Connoisseur

• Retired Staff
  • 67475 posts
  • Faction::RIRFIB

Posted 26 July 2019 - 08:34 PM

14 years later, Kitara finally has an action figure.
https://www.bigbadto...onDetails/98266

Glad they're doing season 3 versions. Hope they do the main characters at least.

ACItEK8.png

#51 Confuzor

Confuzor

They put em in Smash Bros!!!!

• Supporter
  • 8249 posts

Posted 26 July 2019 - 09:56 PM

Awesome! They look great too!!

#52 Trpodeca

Trpodeca
  • Citizen
  • 507 posts

Posted 26 July 2019 - 10:35 PM

"Shines a spotlight on Season 3 of the hit animated series"

Even though Katara is using her Book One outfit....

I sure wish I hadn't misspelt my username.....

#53 Powered Convoy

Powered Convoy

Skywarp Connoisseur

• Retired Staff
  • 67475 posts
  • Faction::RIRFIB

Posted 26 July 2019 - 11:00 PM

Probably don't want her in a red outfit? Or because she never got a toy for season 1.

ACItEK8.png

#54 Fero McPigletron

Fero McPigletron

Not a Maverick! Maybe.

• Citizen
  • 9214 posts

Posted 27 July 2019 - 05:15 AM

Let me know when Toph gets a figure, haha

Also, to those who follow Death Battle, this match up doesn't really follow.

FWXOT0z.gif

TOY DRAMA THEATER!

Episodes here

#55 Destron D-69

Destron D-69

• Supporter
  • 63286 posts

Posted 27 July 2019 - 09:26 AM

well I just nabbed me a pre-order. hopefully they're a little more "highly articulated" in the legs than they look in those pictures but regardless, there's going to be a Katara figure in my house WOOT  

#56 Fero McPigletron

Fero McPigletron

Not a Maverick! Maybe.

• Citizen
  • 9214 posts

Posted 12 August 2019 - 12:25 PM

The second bit just made my day, hehe

FWXOT0z.gif

TOY DRAMA THEATER!

Episodes here

#57 Thylacine 2000

Thylacine 2000

Charismatic Megafauna

• Citizen
  • 17144 posts

Posted 25 June 2020 - 10:37 PM

Time for this thread to be reincarnated!

ATLA hit Netflix in late May and has been in their top 10 most-watched shows ever since; about 2 days ago they just revamped it into HD for the first time ever. There are a huuuge amount of thinkpieces about the show's regained popularity in all the usual clicky media outlets, here's just one at random:

https://www.vulture....summer-hit.html

I binge-watched the whole series in about 2 weeks with my 8-year-old daughter.

It was amazing. The best animated series I've ever seen. 14 years later I remembered the major plot points, but I didn't remember the dialogue or practically any of the stand-alone episodes, or all the clues to the White Lotus Society. I also didn't remember just how much Aang was crushing on Katara throughout the whole series, much less how provocative they made the dance scene in "The Headband." And now I noticed all the repeating characters in the background, and could tell the members of Jet's gang apart! My daughter thought all the meta jokes in "The Ember Island Players" was the funniest thing she'd ever seen; she's watched that one about seven times now.

We're now watching LOK on CBS All Access, and again I haven't given that series any thought since it ended. We're up to episode 5 and while it's a worthy sequel with great world building and scripts and production values, it does suffer due to a lack of cute kids, a more mundane and repetitive setting, and how hugging horrible every second of the pro bending matches are. I'm definitely in it for the long run because I remember finding it good, but, urgghh, what a disconnect in setting and content.

Edited by Thylacine 2000, 25 June 2020 - 11:03 PM.

#58 Fero McPigletron

Fero McPigletron

Not a Maverick! Maybe.

• Citizen
  • 9214 posts

Posted 25 June 2020 - 11:06 PM

Aw, I rather liked the pro bending parts. I thought they were fun. Quite creative, especially with that horrible guy, haha.

There WILL be kids later on! Wait for it! Also, say your favorite new character is, hehe.

Btw, I think I need to watch The Headband again. I didn't think it was that provocative before.

Also, Netflix doesn't have the chibi eps? School time shipping?

FWXOT0z.gif

TOY DRAMA THEATER!

Episodes here

#59 Trpodeca

Trpodeca
  • Citizen
  • 507 posts

Posted 26 June 2020 - 06:34 AM

There's been all sorts of articles. Those poor clickbait writers, forced down into the click-bait mines to get that Search-Engine-Optimization-Juice flowing.

I sure wish I hadn't misspelt my username.....

#60 Thylacine 2000

Thylacine 2000

Charismatic Megafauna

• Citizen
  • 17144 posts

Posted 26 June 2020 - 07:37 AM

No chibi eps, but those are on YouTube. My daughter so wanted a "normal" sequel to ATLA, with the same characters, that I preordered the TPB of "The Promise", which is coming out 6/30 btw.

Edited by Thylacine 2000, 26 June 2020 - 07:38 AM.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users