Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  Maximus Ambus : (18 August 2019 - 01:35 PM)

Dunno what we'd call a Megatron combiner, we almost got a Megastator in IDW but nothing in Combiner Wars.

@  Paladin : (18 August 2019 - 01:30 PM)

somehow read that as "Megachronic." wonder if Decepticons get the munchies...

@  TheMightyMol... : (18 August 2019 - 11:30 AM)

Skywarp can barely form a coherent sentence half the time.

@  Maximus Ambus : (18 August 2019 - 11:24 AM)

If Cyclonus combines into Galvatronus, does Skywarp form Megatronic?

@  Pennpenn : (18 August 2019 - 09:12 AM)

There's something weird about starting to type Good Omens into a media store's search bar and having it come up with Queen's greatest hits compliations.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (18 August 2019 - 12:07 AM)

Well then they need to re-release Vector Prime. :D Of course I would accept Vector Prime Headmaster with Alpha Trion as the head.

@  unluckiness : (18 August 2019 - 12:05 AM)

That said, the bendy sword is ridiculous.

@  unluckiness : (18 August 2019 - 12:05 AM)

I dunno, the old one is still pretty good by modern standards and the clunkiness is somewhat in-character.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (17 August 2019 - 08:37 PM)

We need a new vector prime

@  Paladin : (17 August 2019 - 03:59 PM)

just don't leave Cybertron Vector Prime out in the sun or his wings will melt.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (17 August 2019 - 03:17 PM)

@Nevermore Duly noted.

@  Rycochet : (17 August 2019 - 02:12 PM)

I have three Cybertron Vector Primes, wouldn't throw them around though. I love that design too much,

@  TheMightyMol... : (17 August 2019 - 02:03 PM)

I'm just picturing someone throwing a pile of Vector Prime toys around. I don't know why.

@  Rycochet : (17 August 2019 - 01:42 PM)

Multi Vector Assault mode is what they go into when they think anyone's even slightly infringing on their IP.

@  Ashley : (17 August 2019 - 02:30 AM)

They MIGHT have done it for Star Trek Online ships, but even if they have that'd be a fairly specific category.

@  Tieria Prime : (17 August 2019 - 02:11 AM)

Hi friends

@  Nevermore : (17 August 2019 - 02:05 AM)

So only if Viacom/Paramount has actively trademarked the term "multi-vector assault mode", offered goods or services under that name and has been offering those goods and services in recent years, Hasbro cannot offer goods or services under that name in the same category.

@  Nevermore : (17 August 2019 - 02:04 AM)

And they need to be consistently used on top of that.

@  Nevermore : (17 August 2019 - 02:03 AM)

Even if they are trademarked.

@  Nevermore : (17 August 2019 - 02:02 AM)

Words and terms used in dialogue shouldn't be affected.

@  Nevermore : (17 August 2019 - 02:02 AM)

Also, the trademarks only apply in commerce. You use them to identify goods and services.

@  Ashley : (16 August 2019 - 11:55 PM)

Yeah, you also need to apply for it. They might've never bothered to trademark that.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (16 August 2019 - 08:37 PM)

Trademark affects titles and product names, not every word in writing. For example, DC called their character "Captain Marvel" as recently as 2014.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (16 August 2019 - 08:30 PM)

You missed my point. I was addressing the usage of the phrase in dialogue. Hence the quotation marks.

@  Pennpenn : (16 August 2019 - 08:00 PM)

Well, they can anyway, they might just not be able to call it that...

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (16 August 2019 - 06:54 PM)

It would be awesome for Transformers to have the likes of Overlord and Sky Lynx "engage multi-vector assault mode!"

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (16 August 2019 - 06:53 PM)

It is a shame that "multi-vector assault mode" is probably trademarked for Star Trek.

@  unluckiness : (15 August 2019 - 10:54 PM)

Only if they manage to boomer-proof it

@  RichardT1977 : (15 August 2019 - 08:16 PM)

(and would that really be a bad thing?)

@  RichardT1977 : (15 August 2019 - 08:16 PM)

Wouldn't a cybernetic singularity actually remove one or more of the top levels of Maslow's hierarchy?

@  Steevy Maximus : (15 August 2019 - 07:40 PM)

Tomy made some strange selections on their first wave of Tomica releases for the US

@  TheMightyMol... : (15 August 2019 - 06:26 PM)

Resistance is futile.

@  wonko the sane? : (15 August 2019 - 06:20 PM)

I would be down for a nice cybernetic singularity if it meant we could actually reach the top of maslow's hierarchy.

@  Ashley : (15 August 2019 - 05:44 PM)

I'm pretty sure the origin of the villains in GaoGaiGar was a computer being told to reduce the stress of the population and it's answer was to assimilate everyone.

@  Maximus Ambus : (15 August 2019 - 01:53 PM)

Executions then followed by nano reanimation then cryonic suspension until everyone you know is deactivated for good so you can build happiness in a future society.

@  wonko the sane? : (15 August 2019 - 01:47 PM)

As opposed to the ones that lie already? As a civilization: we're emotional and socially broken. Might as well have the society that at least wants us to be "happy".

@  RichardT1977 : (15 August 2019 - 11:48 AM)

Or you'd have a lot of people lying about their emotional state to avoid being executed.

@  wonko the sane? : (15 August 2019 - 11:18 AM)

That would actually be a massive step up: since there's a LOT of stuff needed to quantify happiness, and it could only be an improvement over the existing governments which actually don't care if you live or die, never mind if you're "happy".

@  RichardT1977 : (15 August 2019 - 10:02 AM)

Happiness is mandatory, citizen. Failure to be happy is treason. Have a nice daycycle!

@  unluckiness : (15 August 2019 - 01:46 AM)

Maslow's hierarchy of needs

@  MrBlud : (14 August 2019 - 09:46 PM)

Humanity is pretty forgiving if you take care of its basic needs. "Freedom" and "Privacy" don't have much hold when you can't afford food, shelter, or medicine.

@  TheMightyMol... : (14 August 2019 - 03:29 PM)

Something something peace through tyranny.

@  Maximus Ambus : (14 August 2019 - 02:43 PM)

You probably will have a house, AI overseers will crack down on stress, poverty, homelessness and human administration.

@  Rycochet : (14 August 2019 - 02:36 PM)

The bad news is they'll probab;y be made and operated by Amazon so will record every single thing you do and transmit it to their datacenters so theycan have human operators sift through it and laugh at footage of you dancing in your socks or having intercourse.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (14 August 2019 - 02:32 PM)

What if I don't have a house by then?

@  wonko the sane? : (14 August 2019 - 02:32 PM)

If the robot will do the cleaning, I don't care if it's mandatory. I'm sick of moping floors.

@  Maximus Ambus : (14 August 2019 - 02:05 PM)

humanoid service robots, one for every house in the west. ETA: 2050. household robots will be mandatory.

@  Rycochet : (14 August 2019 - 02:03 PM)

All I know is it'd be tragic if those evil robots win. I know she can beat them.

@  TheMightyMol... : (14 August 2019 - 01:53 PM)

Big ones? Small ones? Ones as big as your head?

@  Rycochet : (14 August 2019 - 12:22 PM)

The robots are pink. Someone call Yoshimi!

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Robotech REFUSES to die on March 14, 2021

Robotech Battletech Tatsunoku

413 replies to this topic

#401 Pale Rider

Pale Rider

...and Hell followed with him.

• Citizen
  • 8549 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 02 August 2019 - 12:59 AM

Why can't you guys just stop worrying and learn to love Harmony Gold?

#402 Ryougabot

Ryougabot
  • Citizen
  • 1906 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 02 August 2019 - 09:55 AM

I think you mean 18:42. ;)

that whole segment, 18:22 gives the context and the setup, 18:42 is the joke

"Expect me when I arrive" - G'kar
Ryougabot

#403 Echowarrior

Echowarrior

I write stuff...just not as much as I used to.

• Citizen
  • 10372 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 02 August 2019 - 10:53 AM

Because they've given us no reason to love them for some time now, and much reason to wish for them to crash and burn.

William Rendfeld
That Echowarrior guy...
Author of "Transformers: Armada (Revisited)"- Allspark Fic of the Month for December 2005. Archive here.
"In matters of style, swim with the current. In matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Credited to Thomas Jefferson.
"You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life." - Credited to Winston Churchill.

#404 Sukoshiko

Sukoshiko

Demented Genius at Play

• Citizen
  • 885 posts

Posted 02 August 2019 - 11:06 AM

Litigation is supposed to be the Last resort, not the first.

I enjoyed the BattleTech cartoon, and was wondering why it wasn't available on DVD. Video game company suing because a cartoon has digital information? Um, it's a cartoon. You make video games. What's the problem? (sigh) I'd have gone with the motion to dismiss right off the bat. Then again, I'm not a lawyer.

#405 NotVeryKnightly

NotVeryKnightly
  • Staff
  • 22400 posts

Posted 02 August 2019 - 12:24 PM

Because licensing is a thing that involves money?

Edited by NotVeryKnightly, 02 August 2019 - 01:23 PM.

#406 Dave Zero1

Dave Zero1
  • Citizen
  • 2438 posts
  • Faction::RIBFIR

Posted 02 August 2019 - 01:54 PM

I mean... I guess we are due for Stockholm Syndrome to kick in.

#407 Princess Viola

Princess Viola
  • Supporter
  • 27227 posts
  • Faction::Lesbian Ninja

Posted 02 August 2019 - 02:19 PM

Well for me at least - I have literally less than zero interest in Robotech or any of HG's failed attempts at continuing the franchise. The show was before my time, I was born in the mid-1990s, my introduction to the Macross franchise was through renting the Macross Plus DVD from the library when I was like 8 years old in the mid 2000s.

Now there's nothing wrong with people liking Robotech - hey if you do because that's what you grew up with, more power to you, I'm not gonna go around saying 'BLARGH ARGH WHY YOU LIKE THIS SHITTY BASTARDIZATION OF THE JAPANESE MACROSS BLARGH DUB FANS SUCK IT RUINED THE SERIES' because I also won't deny that a lot of Macross fans were probably introduced to the series via Robotech (just like how lots of toku fans were probably introduced to it via Power Rangers and other copycat shows from the 1990s)

But that's why I don't like Harmony Gold - since I have no interest in Robotech, any of their claims of doing something with the franchise are meaningless to me (and let's be honest - not like they even do anything to begin with) - they're just the company that, because of all these legal snarls and other nonsense, is preventing me and other Macross fans from outside Japan from being able to buy or watch these shows legally.

dznwjievmaanw90kooil.png

#408 Xellos

Xellos

Go Home Club

• Citizen
  • 1225 posts

Posted 02 August 2019 - 06:43 PM

I mean... I guess we are due for Stockholm Syndrome to kick in.

I assume the reference was to "Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb"

Personally, I have never hated Harmony Gold.  However, I loved Shadow Chronicles, and Love Live Alive was actually a pretty good clip show for New Generation (which is still my favorite saga), but my gripe is that they have not expanded since then.  Have gotten quite a few good toys in the meantime, but I love my shows. 

I really do not care about any of the lawsuits, though I would not mind if this new deal/extension allows for more Macross to come over.

"Cry Havoc, and let slip the perspicacious death paw equipped cat girls of war!" - Hououin Kyouma - Steins;Gate

#409 Ognimod

Ognimod
  • Protoform
  • 1 posts

Posted 10 August 2019 - 07:54 PM

Robotech lives!

Hello. I'm a new user. I don't post on message boards anymore these days, but I stumbled upon this thread while Googling and saw the post I'm quoting above.

I'm the person who reuploaded that video to YouTube. Seeing it on a message board is the best thing that has happened to me all day. =P So I registered today, just to post my two cents on the Macross/Robotech thing. Maybe I'll hang around this thread often.

I saw Robotech for the first time between the years 2010 and 2013. Someone had recommended it to me like "If you like Transformers, you'll love this". I went in, already knowing that it wasn't an entirely original creation and fully aware that I wasn't going to see Macross, Southern Cross or Mospeada in any of their pure forms. I didn't mind; I was curious.

Sincerely speaking, I loved it instantly. The theme of struggling on until accomplishing one's goals, even after the end of the world (whether literal or figurative), has given me an escape outlet when I'm going through bad spots in life. It also made me start appreciating anime again after almost ten years, and, in an odd way, it has made me feel nostalgic for the days when anime seemed so new and exciting (which, unfortunately, are also the days when anime fans really started becoming loud and self-aggrandizing, at least where I live). If that's not enough, I'm that weirdo who likes Minmei's English voice and song repertoire, and also the Robotech Masters saga.  That should tell you everything. =P

I haven't lost sight of where the origins are, and while I haven't seen the original Macross nor most of the sequels and spinoffs (I have seen DYRL?, and I have a fansub of Frontier lying somewhere around my room; hope the discs haven't degraded...), nor Southern Cross or Mospeada in their original form, I am genuinely interested in all of it as well for the purposes of comparison and contrast. And because I've loved robots all my life.

What I'm trying to say here is that I think both Robotech and Macross can, should, exist at the same time. They both have entertainment value on their own, much like Power Rangers and Super Sentai; and authentic narrative artistic value, even if some of it may have diminished with the passage of time. I think both of them should be appreciated for their merits rather than their shortcomings, and that whether people preferred one or the other (or, like me, both equally for different reasons) should not be a license to dismiss the opposite choice out of hand as some kind of worthless, unknowable abomination.

Others have said earlier in the thread that the ideal situation would be the legal exportation of Macross out of Japan happening concurrently with new Robotech stuff. I agree wholeheartedly. My ideal situation would be for a good anime distributor, one that wasn't a complete and utter scumbag of an IP troll, to buy Robotech off of Harmony Gold's hands, strike a mutually convenient deal with Big West, Studio Nue and Tatsunoko, start exporting Macross, reissue the original series, Southern Cross, Mospeada, and Robotech, and make The Sentinels and The Odyssey. Maybe even strike a deal with whoever owns the IP of Megazone 23, and release Megazone 23 Parts 1, 2 and 3 and make the 1986 Robotech: The Movie the way Carl Macek intended to (if you believe him). It's a long shot, and I don't have any high hopes for it myself... but I have them.

P.S. I had no idea there were apologists for Commander Leonard from Southern Cross. My God. That dude is despicable.

Edited by Ognimod, 10 August 2019 - 08:09 PM.

#410 Sjogre

Sjogre
  • Citizen
  • 1338 posts
  • Faction::Equestrian

Posted 11 August 2019 - 12:46 AM

There's probably loads of people that want someone like Netflix to put together a team to make/remake the Robotech saga.  I know that I'm one of them.  But Jesus Christ, Harmony Gold often feels like it's trying to burn any and all good will people have for the franchise.

Unfortunately, fools are often planproof.

#411 Sukoshiko

Sukoshiko

Demented Genius at Play

• Citizen
  • 885 posts

Posted 11 August 2019 - 02:13 AM

I have no problem with Macross, Southern Cross, and Mospeada being separate from but (nearly) equal to Robotech as individual properties. The problem is that Harmony Gold became so litigious and toxic. The best thing that could happen would be for someone to buy the company, and either renegotiate in good faith or relinquish all claims to the property.

It seems unlikely that anything could redeem the soured reputation, however, that HG and Macek have created.

#412 Confuzor

Confuzor

They put em in Smash Bros!!!!

• Supporter
  • 7854 posts

Posted 11 August 2019 - 04:12 PM

Yeah I'm in a similar boat. I love Robotech, its the first anime I watched knowing it was anime. It will always hold a special place in my heart.

But enough is too much! Harmony Gold has halted the continuation of any related products in the US while also failing to actually use the brand to extend it.

I would have purchased legal media of Macross Frontier and Delta. But I can't because of HG's douchebaggery.

#413 GodSentinelOmega

GodSentinelOmega

The Dark Knights Final Fantasy!

• Staff
  • 13207 posts

Posted 11 August 2019 - 04:33 PM

Agreed. This has been my opinion of HG for years now. They are so fanatical about being in absolute control of every minuscule element of what they think they have control of. While simultaneously not really seeming to want to do anything with the license. Everything seems half-hearted.

Well, except for wanting to sue everything they think they can claim is 'infringing' on their rights.

fslookup.jpg

#414 Maruten

Maruten
  • Staff
  • 7091 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 11 August 2019 - 10:53 PM

They're sad and desperate. All they have is Robotech but they don't have the brains or resources to do anything viable with the property. They have to stop sitting on it like a cranky, stupid hen and either let someone else help them incubate the egg, or just sell the bastard thing to someone who can actually do something with it.

Edit: though, quite obviously, they will never do either of those things

Edited by Maruten, 11 August 2019 - 10:53 PM.

WsuGTl1.jpg

Reply to this topic

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Robotech, Battletech, Tatsunoku

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users