Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  Maximus Ambus : (18 August 2019 - 01:35 PM)

Dunno what we'd call a Megatron combiner, we almost got a Megastator in IDW but nothing in Combiner Wars.

@  Paladin : (18 August 2019 - 01:30 PM)

somehow read that as "Megachronic." wonder if Decepticons get the munchies...

@  TheMightyMol... : (18 August 2019 - 11:30 AM)

Skywarp can barely form a coherent sentence half the time.

@  Maximus Ambus : (18 August 2019 - 11:24 AM)

If Cyclonus combines into Galvatronus, does Skywarp form Megatronic?

@  Pennpenn : (18 August 2019 - 09:12 AM)

There's something weird about starting to type Good Omens into a media store's search bar and having it come up with Queen's greatest hits compliations.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (18 August 2019 - 12:07 AM)

Well then they need to re-release Vector Prime. :D Of course I would accept Vector Prime Headmaster with Alpha Trion as the head.

@  unluckiness : (18 August 2019 - 12:05 AM)

That said, the bendy sword is ridiculous.

@  unluckiness : (18 August 2019 - 12:05 AM)

I dunno, the old one is still pretty good by modern standards and the clunkiness is somewhat in-character.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (17 August 2019 - 08:37 PM)

We need a new vector prime

@  Paladin : (17 August 2019 - 03:59 PM)

just don't leave Cybertron Vector Prime out in the sun or his wings will melt.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (17 August 2019 - 03:17 PM)

@Nevermore Duly noted.

@  Rycochet : (17 August 2019 - 02:12 PM)

I have three Cybertron Vector Primes, wouldn't throw them around though. I love that design too much,

@  TheMightyMol... : (17 August 2019 - 02:03 PM)

I'm just picturing someone throwing a pile of Vector Prime toys around. I don't know why.

@  Rycochet : (17 August 2019 - 01:42 PM)

Multi Vector Assault mode is what they go into when they think anyone's even slightly infringing on their IP.

@  Ashley : (17 August 2019 - 02:30 AM)

They MIGHT have done it for Star Trek Online ships, but even if they have that'd be a fairly specific category.

@  Tieria Prime : (17 August 2019 - 02:11 AM)

Hi friends

@  Nevermore : (17 August 2019 - 02:05 AM)

So only if Viacom/Paramount has actively trademarked the term "multi-vector assault mode", offered goods or services under that name and has been offering those goods and services in recent years, Hasbro cannot offer goods or services under that name in the same category.

@  Nevermore : (17 August 2019 - 02:04 AM)

And they need to be consistently used on top of that.

@  Nevermore : (17 August 2019 - 02:03 AM)

Even if they are trademarked.

@  Nevermore : (17 August 2019 - 02:02 AM)

Words and terms used in dialogue shouldn't be affected.

@  Nevermore : (17 August 2019 - 02:02 AM)

Also, the trademarks only apply in commerce. You use them to identify goods and services.

@  Ashley : (16 August 2019 - 11:55 PM)

Yeah, you also need to apply for it. They might've never bothered to trademark that.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (16 August 2019 - 08:37 PM)

Trademark affects titles and product names, not every word in writing. For example, DC called their character "Captain Marvel" as recently as 2014.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (16 August 2019 - 08:30 PM)

You missed my point. I was addressing the usage of the phrase in dialogue. Hence the quotation marks.

@  Pennpenn : (16 August 2019 - 08:00 PM)

Well, they can anyway, they might just not be able to call it that...

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (16 August 2019 - 06:54 PM)

It would be awesome for Transformers to have the likes of Overlord and Sky Lynx "engage multi-vector assault mode!"

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (16 August 2019 - 06:53 PM)

It is a shame that "multi-vector assault mode" is probably trademarked for Star Trek.

@  unluckiness : (15 August 2019 - 10:54 PM)

Only if they manage to boomer-proof it

@  RichardT1977 : (15 August 2019 - 08:16 PM)

(and would that really be a bad thing?)

@  RichardT1977 : (15 August 2019 - 08:16 PM)

Wouldn't a cybernetic singularity actually remove one or more of the top levels of Maslow's hierarchy?

@  Steevy Maximus : (15 August 2019 - 07:40 PM)

Tomy made some strange selections on their first wave of Tomica releases for the US

@  TheMightyMol... : (15 August 2019 - 06:26 PM)

Resistance is futile.

@  wonko the sane? : (15 August 2019 - 06:20 PM)

I would be down for a nice cybernetic singularity if it meant we could actually reach the top of maslow's hierarchy.

@  Ashley : (15 August 2019 - 05:44 PM)

I'm pretty sure the origin of the villains in GaoGaiGar was a computer being told to reduce the stress of the population and it's answer was to assimilate everyone.

@  Maximus Ambus : (15 August 2019 - 01:53 PM)

Executions then followed by nano reanimation then cryonic suspension until everyone you know is deactivated for good so you can build happiness in a future society.

@  wonko the sane? : (15 August 2019 - 01:47 PM)

As opposed to the ones that lie already? As a civilization: we're emotional and socially broken. Might as well have the society that at least wants us to be "happy".

@  RichardT1977 : (15 August 2019 - 11:48 AM)

Or you'd have a lot of people lying about their emotional state to avoid being executed.

@  wonko the sane? : (15 August 2019 - 11:18 AM)

That would actually be a massive step up: since there's a LOT of stuff needed to quantify happiness, and it could only be an improvement over the existing governments which actually don't care if you live or die, never mind if you're "happy".

@  RichardT1977 : (15 August 2019 - 10:02 AM)

Happiness is mandatory, citizen. Failure to be happy is treason. Have a nice daycycle!

@  unluckiness : (15 August 2019 - 01:46 AM)

Maslow's hierarchy of needs

@  MrBlud : (14 August 2019 - 09:46 PM)

Humanity is pretty forgiving if you take care of its basic needs. "Freedom" and "Privacy" don't have much hold when you can't afford food, shelter, or medicine.

@  TheMightyMol... : (14 August 2019 - 03:29 PM)

Something something peace through tyranny.

@  Maximus Ambus : (14 August 2019 - 02:43 PM)

You probably will have a house, AI overseers will crack down on stress, poverty, homelessness and human administration.

@  Rycochet : (14 August 2019 - 02:36 PM)

The bad news is they'll probab;y be made and operated by Amazon so will record every single thing you do and transmit it to their datacenters so theycan have human operators sift through it and laugh at footage of you dancing in your socks or having intercourse.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (14 August 2019 - 02:32 PM)

What if I don't have a house by then?

@  wonko the sane? : (14 August 2019 - 02:32 PM)

If the robot will do the cleaning, I don't care if it's mandatory. I'm sick of moping floors.

@  Maximus Ambus : (14 August 2019 - 02:05 PM)

humanoid service robots, one for every house in the west. ETA: 2050. household robots will be mandatory.

@  Rycochet : (14 August 2019 - 02:03 PM)

All I know is it'd be tragic if those evil robots win. I know she can beat them.

@  TheMightyMol... : (14 August 2019 - 01:53 PM)

Big ones? Small ones? Ones as big as your head?

@  Rycochet : (14 August 2019 - 12:22 PM)

The robots are pink. Someone call Yoshimi!

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Robotech REFUSES to die on March 14, 2021

Robotech Battletech Tatsunoku

413 replies to this topic

#21 NotVeryKnightly

NotVeryKnightly
  • Staff
  • 22400 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 23 August 2017 - 02:47 AM

I don't understand all the hate for Harmony Gold regarding Jetfire. They paid for the exclusive rights to something, and fought to maintain it.

Hasbro would do the same thing if Mattel released action figures that looked like Optimus Prime.

It's just a part of the system/game.

Well, that particular Jetfire was just a G.I. Joe aircraft in Jetfire's color scheme, which didn't come from Macross.

#22 Verity Carlo

Verity Carlo

trash meme goddess

• Citizen
  • 22893 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 23 August 2017 - 05:15 AM

Didn't they also demand that every copy of the toy be mailed to them or something?

staring dog stares

doggie_zpsafvtedef.png

#23 Princess Viola

Princess Viola
  • Supporter
  • 27227 posts
  • Faction::Lesbian Ninja

Posted 23 August 2017 - 05:29 AM

Didn't HG once try to stop one of the people who worked on Macross from selling copies of his own art at a convention or am I misremembering it with some other legal hugery they did?

dznwjievmaanw90kooil.png

#24 Ryougabot

Ryougabot
  • Citizen
  • 1906 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 23 August 2017 - 08:48 AM

The anime community acknowledged that HG was one of the grandfathers of anime in America, but HG/Streamline were elevated to the status of vampires/boogeymen of the creative community, and eventually became a (not very funny) joke.  There was even a time when, if you criticised a title, someone would, reflexively, yell, "Quiet, HG will sue you over that!"

"Expect me when I arrive" - G'kar
Ryougabot

#25 NovaSaber

NovaSaber

Soundwave is colorblind

• Citizen
  • 5765 posts
  • Faction::RIBFIR

Posted 23 August 2017 - 09:59 AM

I don't understand all the hate for Harmony Gold regarding Jetfire. They paid for the exclusive rights to something, and fought to maintain it.

Hasbro would do the same thing if Mattel released action figures that looked like Optimus Prime.

The results of everything that's actually went to court (or been dismissed, like the Jetfire case) show that the rights they have aren't as exclusive or extensive as they think they are.

I'd say the Jetfire case was more like if Mattel released a Hot Wheels car that was a (not yellow) Lamborghini with extra parts on top, and if Hasbro sued over that.

#26 SHIELD Agent 47

SHIELD Agent 47

Skull Leader

• Retired Staff
  • 9651 posts

Posted 23 August 2017 - 12:01 PM

Well, that particular Jetfire was just a G.I. Joe aircraft in Jetfire's color scheme, which didn't come from Macross.

あれはバルキリーじゃない。ジェットファイヤーだ!

遊び終わ。- ブレラ・スターン少佐西暦2059年

Visit the Transformers Wiki and the IDW Hasbro Wiki!

#27 NotVeryKnightly

NotVeryKnightly
  • Staff
  • 22400 posts

Posted 23 August 2017 - 12:03 PM

あれはバルキリーじゃない。ジェットファイヤーだ!

"That's no Valkyrie. It's Jetfire!"

...?

Edited by NotVeryKnightly, 23 August 2017 - 12:03 PM.

#28 SHIELD Agent 47

SHIELD Agent 47

Skull Leader

• Retired Staff
  • 9651 posts

Posted 23 August 2017 - 12:18 PM

あれはバルキリーじゃない。ジェットファイヤーだ!

"That's no Valkyrie. It's Jetfire!"

...?

I was trying to retort to D Buster Prime that calling the 2013 Jetfire toy a Valkyrie was nonsense.

遊び終わ。- ブレラ・スターン少佐西暦2059年

Visit the Transformers Wiki and the IDW Hasbro Wiki!

#29 Telly

Telly

Killing forums since 1999!

• Retired Staff
  • 7992 posts

Posted 23 August 2017 - 12:58 PM

Didn't they also demand that every copy of the toy be mailed to them or something?

they did

http://www.animenews...?ann-edition=uk

for Hasbro to deliver all toys or other products in their possession that violate the copyright; for Hasbro to be required to recall the toys from "any person or entity known to them who purchased or received" copies of the infringing products

When I die I will surely go to Heaven for i spent my life in Hell

#30 MrBlud

MrBlud

Goes down smooth...

• Retired Staff
  • 51849 posts
  • Faction::RIBFIR

Posted 23 August 2017 - 05:48 PM

The results of everything that's actually went to court (or been dismissed, like the Jetfire case) show that the rights they have aren't as exclusive or extensive as they think they are.

I'd say the Jetfire case was more like if Mattel released a Hot Wheels car that was a (not yellow) Lamborghini with extra parts on top, and if Hasbro sued over that.

Except Mattel actually does stuff with Hot Wheels.

It's more like Mattel releasing a Clayface figure and Hasbro suing them because it's "too close" to an Inhumanoid.

card-strongarm.jpg

#31 Classic Sideways

Classic Sideways

Unicronian Agent

• Citizen
  • 5821 posts
  • Faction::RIRFIB

Posted 23 August 2017 - 11:24 PM

I understand trying to stand by their legal perspective DBuster, but understand that HG has pretty much torched any goodwill they ever accrued. I grew up loving Robotech, but I'm ready to see it die to see Marcoss be able to release properly world wide.

#32 Blot

Blot

Grumble grumble complain grouse.

• Citizen
  • 8008 posts
  • Faction::Decepticon

Posted 23 August 2017 - 11:41 PM

Robotech may die...

But the WOMEN OF ROBOTECH shall live on!

#33 DarkeklawGW

DarkeklawGW

Slowly losing myself in a good way

• Citizen
  • 6180 posts

Posted 24 August 2017 - 09:58 AM

HG has tried many times to restart RT, each of them with lack-luster results.    They really could make MORE money off the property if they sold it to a company that actually gave a damn about it, instead of the small amount of revenue it brings them...  Most of which seems to get squandered on lawsuits. 

For Bella Rose Fraizer-Grant Sept 8, 2011 to Nov 26th 2011... Pop-pop will always love you!!!!

#34 Ryougabot

Ryougabot
  • Citizen
  • 1906 posts

Posted 24 August 2017 - 10:13 AM

HG has tried many times to restart RT, each of them with lack-luster results.    They really could make MORE money off the property if they sold it to a company that actually gave a damn about it, instead of the small amount of revenue it brings them...  Most of which seems to get squandered on lawsuits. 

They have a marketing problem.  They do not understand the market and seem to be unwilling to pay someone to define it.  Once they have the definition, they then have to hire people with the creativity to meet the desires of the market with existing properties.  It costs less and has fewer risks to hire lawyers to protect the properties, than it does to hire marketers and creative types.

Ryougabot

#35 Ryougabot

Ryougabot
  • Citizen
  • 1906 posts

Posted 24 August 2017 - 10:23 AM

Robotech may die...

I watching those commercials back to back, it gives the message to young girls that the women in Rick's life were 100% interchangeable. 

Without knowing the story, here is what it looks like.

A guy dates two women - neither know each other - the guy takes his dates to the same restaurant on the same night (he doesn't even bother to change clothes) - and no one knows any better - AND the women are free to pursue their dreams...This has '87 SITCOM written all over it.

The 80's were a terribly progressive time.

Ryougabot

#36 Ya Kid K MK VII

Ya Kid K MK VII

Mic check onetwo onetwo

• Supporter
  • 4207 posts

Posted 24 August 2017 - 10:59 AM

Four years until I can get a professionally-dubbed, official copy of DYRL! Wooo!

THANK GOD.

I will always love my Robotech Novels, but Harmony Gold has even screwed those up now first by making them non-canon and then apparently heavily editing the online versions. (Read about that on Facebook.)

#37 Powered Convoy

Powered Convoy

Skywarp Connoisseur

• Retired Staff
  • 65379 posts
  • Faction::RIRFIB

Posted 24 August 2017 - 12:14 PM

Four years until I can get a professionally-dubbed, official copy of DYRL! Wooo!

I'd settle for an official release with subtitles, but that would be even better!

ACItEK8.png

#38 Marduk

Marduk
  • Citizen
  • 1613 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 24 August 2017 - 12:16 PM

I will always love my Robotech Novels, but Harmony Gold has even screwed those up now first by making them non-canon and then apparently heavily editing the online versions. (Read about that on Facebook.)

Can you elaborate? I've been thinking of going digital at some point, and the RT novels would probably be one of my first purchases.

I know they edited the timeline / dates way back when Shadow Chronicles came back (I don't remember if it was a late/early return for the REF), but I didn't think they did any other major edits. Unless they went back and renamed the AJACs again.

~Marduk (forget DYRL. I want a Fire Bomber boxed set / super collection)

(And DYRL)

#39 Ryougabot

Ryougabot
  • Citizen
  • 1906 posts

Posted 24 August 2017 - 12:56 PM

THANK GOD.

I'd settle for an official release with subtitles, but that would be even better!

or a blueray with both...

Attached Thumbnails

• cartoon-vector-stickman-two-man-during-armed-robbery-attack-mug-crime-ht5ckc.jpg

Ryougabot

#40 Blot

Blot

Grumble grumble complain grouse.

• Citizen
  • 8008 posts
  • Faction::Decepticon

Posted 24 August 2017 - 05:12 PM

Robotech may die...

I watching those commercials back to back, it gives the message to young girls that the women in Rick's life were 100% interchangeable. 

Without knowing the story, here is what it looks like.
A guy dates two women - neither know each other - the guy takes his dates to the same restaurant on the same night (he doesn't even bother to change clothes) - and no one knows any better - AND the women are free to pursue their dreams...This has '87 SITCOM written all over it.

The 80's were a terribly progressive time.
I almost wish there were more dolls just for the awful disparity between "ongoing war drama" and "isn't she neat?"

"After a hard day of making sure the SDF-1 is running smoothly, Claudia Grant relaxes with some grocery shopping. Later, she prepares a special meal for pilot Roy Fokker, who surprises her by dropping by early!"

Reply to this topic

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Robotech, Battletech, Tatsunoku

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users