Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  Paladin : (23 July 2019 - 07:23 AM)

anything burns if it gets hot enough.

@  Benbot : (23 July 2019 - 07:12 AM)

That's why you should keep your under-the-bed money in gold and silver--that won't burn!

@  NotVeryKnightly : (23 July 2019 - 05:34 AM)

https://www.bbc.com/worklife/article/20171003-proof-that-people-have-always-complained-about-young-adults

@  PlutoniumBoss : (23 July 2019 - 02:24 AM)

Disparaging the youth has been a pastime for thousands of years. Pretty much every society we have writing from has some version of "kids these days" at some point.

@  Maximus Ambus : (23 July 2019 - 02:21 AM)

Numfar! dance of pain.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (23 July 2019 - 01:49 AM)

If the USA vanished from Earth prior to millennials (later to be joined by Generation Z) coming of age, would the global community have the same magnitude of disparaging upon youths as a pastime because old boomers are insecure about their inability to handle new technology?

@  Ashley : (23 July 2019 - 12:02 AM)

This wasn't that, this was a "we don't trust banks!" thing

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (22 July 2019 - 11:57 PM)

Well I know when I first got my back pay for disability, some of the paperwork said I couldn't have so much in the bank after 30 days...so I had to take out a huge chunk of cash.

@  Ashley : (22 July 2019 - 11:53 PM)

I know a family who lost thousands of dollars in a house fire because they were literally keeping it under the bed. Don't underestimate the USA's luddism.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (22 July 2019 - 10:39 PM)

The US is filled with people LITERALLY proud of their ignorance of tech. Don't expect the US to be a major power in the next 30 years.

@  Pennpenn : (22 July 2019 - 10:25 PM)

Most people in Australia that I've heard of use electronic transactions for rent (and similar things). I mean, doubtless there are some people who use cash for various reasons of varying levels of ethics, but most require electronic transfers.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (22 July 2019 - 09:22 PM)

But I don't understand Paladin's premise of "allowing the landlord access to one's bank account". I'm pretty sure I have acquaintances who pay monthly by check or automated bank transfer.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (22 July 2019 - 09:15 PM)

I know many lower-end restaurants in the USA take cash only as a probable method of tax evasion. Perhaps that is why some landlords do as well. Alternatively, such people demand cash upfront because they have thin profit margins or whatever and are too afraid of spending the time and effort to pursue someone whose check or electronic payment bounced.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (22 July 2019 - 09:14 PM)

@Nevermore The USA is a place where lots of people can proliferate at being technologically behind. e.g. almost no one accepts or pays by contactless yet despite the inherent security of the process. And by having a population of over 300 million we can generate large quantities of believers in the Luddite fallacy and such.

@  TM2-Megatron : (22 July 2019 - 07:59 PM)

I pay by credit card whenever possible for the rewards/points, but utilities don't usually allow that so those I just pay through the online bill payment feature rather than mess around with pre-authorizations

@  TM2-Megatron : (22 July 2019 - 07:57 PM)

Most monthly or whatever payments are done electronically around here, I think. Mine certainly are. Whether by pre-authorized debit, an e-transfer (transfer from one bank account to another), or your bank's online bill payment system/database

@  Nevermore : (22 July 2019 - 07:04 PM)

If I overpaid, it may take several months for them to pay me back the difference. If I underpaid, they're very quick with demanding the difference.

@  Nevermore : (22 July 2019 - 07:03 PM)

Meanwhile, I can write a tax report, but since the employer already deduced the standard legal taxes from my monthly payment, the tax report is also mostly just to let the tax authority determine if I underpaid or overpaid.

@  Nevermore : (22 July 2019 - 07:02 PM)

Based on my average costs for the year, they will then calculate the estimated monthly costs for the upcoming year.

@  Nevermore : (22 July 2019 - 07:01 PM)

At the end of the year, the power company will send me an annual invoice which shows if I overpaid or underpaid. If I overpaid, the difference may just be deduced from my December bill.

@  Nevermore : (22 July 2019 - 06:59 PM)

I also pay my monthly gas and electricity bills that way.

@  Nevermore : (22 July 2019 - 06:59 PM)

It's funny. Here in Germany, many people still pay cash in stores, restaurants etc. (the staff usually asks "cash or wireless?"), but many regular payments are handled wirelessly and automatically.

@  Nevermore : (22 July 2019 - 06:57 PM)

Around the same time, I get sent a slip from payroll that lists my gross income, all the deductions and the net income, i.e. the final transaction sum.

@  Nevermore : (22 July 2019 - 06:56 PM)

My monthly payment from my employer is wirelessly transferred to my bank account. Taxes, health insurance, unemployment insurance and social security fees are calculated by the payroll department, handled by the employer, and I just get paid the rest after taxes and everything.

@  Paladin : (22 July 2019 - 06:55 PM)

yes. you're assuming US employers would pay fairly & take fairly.

@  Telly : (22 July 2019 - 06:55 PM)

we dont get paid on a monthly basis, if thats what you mean. i myself get paid every 2 weeks. some are every week. and if im telling you something you already know, just ignore me...

@  Nevermore : (22 July 2019 - 06:54 PM)

Which I assume doesn't work that way in the US either?

@  Nevermore : (22 July 2019 - 06:53 PM)

That way you may time the transaction with your monthly payment from your employer.

@  Nevermore : (22 July 2019 - 06:52 PM)

You don't need to give the landlord access to anything. You go to your bank, show the clerk your bank account card, give them the landlord's bank details, tell them the exact amount of the rent and which day of the month the transaction should happen, sign the order, and you're done.

@  Paladin : (22 July 2019 - 06:49 PM)

most Americans wouldn't trust a landlord with access to their bank account.

@  Nevermore : (22 July 2019 - 06:47 PM)

Do people in other countries really still pay their landlords in cash? Here in Germany, it's very common to have the payment as an automated bank transaction on a set day of the month, so if the payment is late, it's either the bank's fault, or there's not enough money on the bank account.

@  Paladin : (22 July 2019 - 05:46 PM)

meanwhile some of us are trying to calculate if they'll have a spare forty bucks at the end of the week for some food...

@  unluckiness : (22 July 2019 - 07:20 AM)

At least I can see where the 600 US bucks is going in this case. The MP line looks more ridiculous by the day.

@  Maximus Ambus : (22 July 2019 - 07:09 AM)

It's ridiculous. I'll stick to Armadacron

@  unluckiness : (22 July 2019 - 06:13 AM)

If anything, shipping is going to make the actual toy's price look affordable.

@  Pennpenn : (22 July 2019 - 02:28 AM)

Its like, $550 ish in US money (so probably about $800 for my Australian self) and is taller than TR Fort Max. He's gonna be a hefty boy.

@  TM2-Megatron : (21 July 2019 - 10:05 PM)

Damn, that Unicron looks big. Not gonna be cheap

@  wonko the sane? : (21 July 2019 - 09:09 PM)

"By the way, your landlord called. Something about being late with the rent."

@  Nevermore : (21 July 2019 - 04:09 PM)

"Hi there, I'm Unicron. Your husband ordered me."

@  unluckiness : (21 July 2019 - 09:04 AM)

"Perhaps I misjudged you. Proceed on your way to the couch."

@  Donocropolis : (21 July 2019 - 07:33 AM)

I'm just afraid of what my wife would do to me if it showed up at our door.

@  TheMightyMol... : (21 July 2019 - 01:23 AM)

Giant Robot Satan has that effect on people.

@  Ashley : (21 July 2019 - 12:31 AM)

So, I might not be able to get Hasbro Pulse Unicron because my mother is afraid of it

@  Pennpenn : (20 July 2019 - 09:58 PM)

But that's neither here nor there.

@  TheMightyMol... : (20 July 2019 - 06:57 PM)

Six of one, half-dozen of the other.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (20 July 2019 - 05:13 PM)

Both maybe?

@  Benbot : (20 July 2019 - 04:44 PM)

Do you need a criminal lawyer or a criminal, lawyer.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (20 July 2019 - 10:40 AM)

I don't suppose the allspark has any criminal lawyers from Georgia. ;P

@  NotVeryKnightly : (19 July 2019 - 01:17 PM)

It seems like, with these kind of things, anything not TF-specific is either in an existing thread or just not discussed since they're not part of something deemed important enough to get its own thread already.

@  Benbot : (19 July 2019 - 12:45 PM)

Yeah, but it's for Transformers specifically

Photo
- - - - -

Paint touchups and additions

11 replies to this topic

#1 unluckiness

unluckiness

That's me!

• Citizen
  • 19028 posts
  • Faction::Minicon

Posted 10 August 2017 - 10:23 AM

Thought I'd be through with this stuff since internship started but it never ends. Seeing as most of the stuff I do nowadays is relatively minor detail work, I'll just start dumping them in this thread.

First up is TFC Cyberjaw since was the first thing I grabbed off the desk. Poor thing was based off a scramble city combiner with relatively few media appearances, and it shows. The thing is basically several divided wedges of unbroken color.

UEkbh6m.jpg

TB9MO4d.jpg

The major color deviation is how the shark body is all green now. While this enhances the continuity with the head, it leaves the shark thing mode looking bland. 

yO3eHxX.jpg

ZwBI18J.jpg

For shark mode, I added some purple to break the green up, reference the old toy and maintain color continuity with the beast pelvis. Some of the clear plastic and the hips received some silver to avoid monotony and the toes were painted purple since dull gray was boring. 

yO3eHxX.jpg

Many of the other toys in this combiner have yellow painted parts where clear plastic couldn't or wouldn't be used. For consistency's sake, I added some yellow-green detailing to all of them. Also in line with this, the faceplate was painted a shade of yellow-orange matching the other members. Aside from that, not much robot-specific detailing since the color layout is better broken up in this mode anyway. 

Edited by unluckiness, 21 August 2017 - 08:52 AM.

xOyvpt9.png

#2 ZacDeath

ZacDeath

I am not dead, I'm overwintering.

• Citizen
  • 1051 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 10 August 2017 - 08:50 PM

Your work is very nice and clean. Do you use an airbrush? It looks so official.
WWOPD?

#3 unluckiness

unluckiness

That's me!

• Citizen
  • 19028 posts

Posted 13 August 2017 - 11:08 AM

Thanks. All just brushes I'm afraid. I don't really have the time or output to justify shelling out for one anymore. After painting a layer on, I tend to scrape the excess off with a toothpick to keep the lines cleaner. Aside from that, I don't think I do anything else special. 

Next up, Deathclaw or Not-ilator. The robot mode suffered badly from the unpainted head but was otherwise serviceable. I felt the altmode could use more emphasis on the claws though since the big honking yellow kinda steals the show from the undetailed black blobs.

9EpXt8k.jpg

dc7v4ye.jpg

Apart from the black head and orange faceplate, I've considered painting the eyes red. Kind of a waste though since the light piping is great at catching light and the head being half tracnslucent would be a waste. Plus, yellow matches the rest of the team. 

oYaisYy.jpg

mHQrBaR.jpg

Edited by unluckiness, 13 August 2017 - 11:11 AM.

xOyvpt9.png

#4 SoS

SoS
  • Administrator
  • 5170 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 13 August 2017 - 03:41 PM

Those touchups make them look fantastic. You do some very nice and clean work dude.

--SoS

#5 Zamuel

Zamuel

Dream Valley Survivor

• Supporter
  • 17697 posts
  • Faction::Equestrian

Posted 13 August 2017 - 06:17 PM

After painting a layer on, I tend to scrape the excess off with a toothpick to keep the lines cleaner.

Huh. That actually sounds like a good way to handle a lot of edge work.
Spoiler

#6 unluckiness

unluckiness

That's me!

• Citizen
  • 19028 posts

Posted 16 August 2017 - 07:19 AM

To take a break from the 3P Seacons, I recently did work on the Jumpstarter twins. Seeing as how the two are supposed to have identical colors, the copper on Topspin did not fit. Ended up changing it all to red. Also in vehicle mode, the rear mounted booster things were so lovingly sculpted that it felt criminal to leave them unpainted. 

sNKnVHP.jpg

Ee5Auur.jpg

2PJMBsr.jpg

xOyvpt9.png

#7 unluckiness

unluckiness

That's me!

• Citizen
  • 19028 posts

Posted 21 August 2017 - 09:39 AM

Titans Return Hardhead is a great mold but his color distribution is somewhat bland. I added some of the main body's colors onto the limbs to tie them in better. Also, scorchmarks on the barrel and some detailing on the little guy. The undetailed clear orange cockpit also looked somewhat out of place so a bit of green on it helps make it look better integrated. 

3J5Lnjt.jpg

fK5EXUN.jpg
pyMQzmR.jpg

zsylEGF.jpg

iQBD4xm.jpg

Edited by unluckiness, 21 August 2017 - 09:40 AM.

xOyvpt9.png

#8 unluckiness

unluckiness

That's me!

• Citizen
  • 19028 posts

Posted 02 May 2018 - 07:26 AM

Looking at SS Optimus, what's really throwing off the look is that there's just not enough blue on him. Also, the truck mode really needed the gradient. 

581k2bd.jpg

nNwwpio.jpg

jKUpdQ4.jpg

xOyvpt9.png

#9 unluckiness

unluckiness

That's me!

• Citizen
  • 19028 posts

Posted 31 January 2019 - 01:27 AM

Picked this guy up recently and it's a fine figure. The legs are a little blocky but the transformation's simple yet engaging and the colors are good for the most part. My main issue with the colors was how the red they used, while metallic, was too much of a dull shade. It was especially bad on the red painted parts that werre on top of the dark blue. So i redid all the red with a more vibrant shade and while I was at it, added some red to the beast mode's midsection, red on the wings to mimic a red detail on the comic and anime version and gunmetal on the round details on the wings because whew, that's a lot of white. Lastly, added some gunmetal on the sides of the calves in in attempt to add definition to the shape. 

dEVvR3T.jpg

5ALjA9f.jpg

yihXBTr.jpg

kGArRsF.jpg

Edited by unluckiness, 31 January 2019 - 08:00 AM.

xOyvpt9.png

#10 unluckiness

unluckiness

That's me!

• Citizen
  • 19028 posts

Posted 15 May 2019 - 06:09 AM

U5T4XhO.jpg

x92fEnd.jpg

r2Uor8O.jpg

Warpath's flanks and crotch finally bothered me enough to paint over them.

xOyvpt9.png

#11 Zamuel

Zamuel

Dream Valley Survivor

• Supporter
  • 17697 posts
  • Faction::Equestrian

Posted 15 May 2019 - 12:57 PM

Dare I ask what was wrong with the flanks and crotch? Or I guess I should ask about the original color.
Spoiler

#12 unluckiness

unluckiness

That's me!

• Citizen
  • 19028 posts

Posted 16 May 2019 - 02:02 AM

They're originally that particular shade of gray that tries to be silver but ends up looking really gray plasticky.

xOyvpt9.png

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users