Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  unluckiness : (23 January 2019 - 08:37 AM)

Either way, I'd stick to the definitions of the people who actually work in the field and know what they're talking about over incredibly loose unhelpful ones 

@  unluckiness : (23 January 2019 - 08:34 AM)

Which fossils and genetic sequencing proved were quite different from wolves as we know them. Which is kind of the point, since while domesticated organisms changed genetically, so have their wild counterparts.

@  Pennpenn : (23 January 2019 - 08:34 AM)

I mean, even more extreme would be to ask if cows would turn back into aurochs. They'd go feral or exitinct, but they wouldn't revert.

@  unluckiness : (23 January 2019 - 08:33 AM)

Don't be ridiculous. The domesticated dog wasn't derived from the modern wolf. Both descended from a common ancestor

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (23 January 2019 - 08:33 AM)

Then they are still Geneticly modified. ;P I mean hell, in a lot of cases, there is very little difference between removing a gene and making it dormant. Anyways. Gotta run, stuff to do right now. Have fun.

@  Pennpenn : (23 January 2019 - 08:32 AM)

The ones that survived would be more wolf like, but they wouldn't be wolves. And in a lot of cases without human intervention most of the heavily modified animals and plants wouldn't survive a "few generations".

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (23 January 2019 - 08:31 AM)

Are you saying, given a few years (relativily speaking) of no humans, dogs will return to wolves?

@  unluckiness : (23 January 2019 - 08:30 AM)

Within a few generations without human intervention, the same traits resurface. because again, the genes aren't changed. Only the population.

@  unluckiness : (23 January 2019 - 08:28 AM)

The genes for those traits are still present though. You're not manipulating the genotype, rather than the phenotype of the population.

@  Pennpenn : (23 January 2019 - 08:26 AM)

The fact that it's a more indirect method compared to, say, CRISPR is irrelevant.

@  Pennpenn : (23 January 2019 - 08:25 AM)

Selective breeding is a form of genetic manipulation, since you're restricting or eliminating unfavored genetic patterns from being expressed in the target organisms.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (23 January 2019 - 08:25 AM)

As it should be... People whine about GMO, but most of it is because they don't understand that biotech is usually just a faster way of doing the exact same thing thousands of years of crossbreading does.

@  unluckiness : (23 January 2019 - 08:20 AM)

You can call it whatever you like, but again, that definition is so wide as to be worthless and few people would agree with the definition.

@  unluckiness : (23 January 2019 - 08:20 AM)

The commonly accepted definition of "genetic modification" by the scientific community involves biotechnology and direct manipulation of genetic material

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (23 January 2019 - 08:13 AM)

But.. While slower.. That's -exactly- what crossbreeding is.. Genetic modification.

@  unluckiness : (23 January 2019 - 08:02 AM)

Which is patently ridiculous. They didn't modify the genetic makeup of these organisms; just manipulated the odds of traits deemed as favorable being expressed. 

@  unluckiness : (23 January 2019 - 07:53 AM)

By that definition, literally everything that humans have domesticated is a GMO.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (23 January 2019 - 07:44 AM)

Why? It's completely geneticly modified to be almost completely distinct from what a real banana is.

@  unluckiness : (23 January 2019 - 06:52 AM)

By looser definitions of GMO. So loose as to be worthless pretty much.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (23 January 2019 - 06:35 AM)

So.. All banannas that anyone eats.. organic or not.. is a GMO..

@  Pennpenn : (23 January 2019 - 06:23 AM)

Aren't they usually called palatains? But yeah, the only reason those cultivars survive at all is because of humans.

@  unluckiness : (23 January 2019 - 06:16 AM)

That said, there are still wild banana plants which do reproduce sexually. If you don't mind gigantic seeds in them.

@  unluckiness : (23 January 2019 - 06:16 AM)

This makes them highly susceptible to disease due to the stagnant genetic pool and inability to adapt.

@  unluckiness : (23 January 2019 - 06:15 AM)

The domesticated kind reproduced asexually, meaning that the ones present today have the genetics of the same banana plants circa whenever bananas were domesticated

@  NotVeryKnightly : (23 January 2019 - 04:53 AM)

Why would they be?

@  Maximus Ambus : (23 January 2019 - 04:07 AM)

Shouldn't banana's be extinct now?

@  MEDdMI : (22 January 2019 - 11:38 PM)

:p You leave my male harem alone.

@  unluckiness : (22 January 2019 - 11:27 PM)

Yeah, but unfortunately, it was Fire Emblem Fates.

@  MEDdMI : (22 January 2019 - 11:22 PM)

Fire Emblem Fates didn't force the gay pairings to have kids, not even for adoption. Granted, there were only 2 canon gay/bi options amoungst a sea of hetero, but still.

@  Pennpenn : (22 January 2019 - 10:27 PM)

It pissed off more people than usual since when the game was getting hyped much was made that you could have your character be gay as the first of May, and also the fact that the achievement for that event in the DLC was called "Growing Up"

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (22 January 2019 - 10:19 PM)

Never played the game, but that works as well! Textbook mindless natalism.

@  Pennpenn : (22 January 2019 - 10:15 PM)

Huh, I figured you were talking about that Assassins Creed Oddessy DLC that forces your character to have a kid regardless of your choices, previous behaviour, or current situation.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (22 January 2019 - 09:16 PM)

Some context: I am bemoaning the fact that Modern Family is currently demonstrating why it should have already ended. Because not only it is making its annoying characters even worse, but Haley's storyline is taking her in a direction I hate.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (22 January 2019 - 09:08 PM)

So when a lazy cop-out in the story happens, I'm going to object to the shoehorning.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (22 January 2019 - 09:05 PM)

I think you misunderstand me. History is rife with instances wherein having children turned out not to be the right decision, and people with normal intelligence saw it coming. So people like myself find it infurating when television writers broadly pretend this doesn't happen.

@  Shrug : (22 January 2019 - 09:02 PM)

So it's not weird that it shows up in a lot of fiction. Since it shows up in a lot of nonfiction.

@  Shrug : (22 January 2019 - 09:01 PM)

But you know, like... the majority of people do it.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (22 January 2019 - 08:49 PM)

And no characters call out this course of action for the stupidity it is. Believe it or not, not everyone is cut out to have kids, and having children is not an extraordinary life accomplishment.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (22 January 2019 - 08:48 PM)

Yup. Like writers knocking up a (usually female) character for no good reason, often when said character has not previously expressed the desire for children, or children would heavily set back their life plans, or the other biological parent is not a good relationship partner.

@  Pennpenn : (22 January 2019 - 07:29 PM)

I mean, there's more to it, and varying levels of related concepts and blah blah blah, but I'm not gonna go further in the shoutbox.

@  Pennpenn : (22 January 2019 - 07:27 PM)

It's the "everyone's gotta make babies" school of thought. It varies but in media it manifests as "all characters end up married with kids or dead". For contrast an anti-natalist concept would be China's One Child policy.

@  Locoman : (22 January 2019 - 06:28 PM)

.... pro-natalist?

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (22 January 2019 - 06:10 PM)

Pro-natalist clichés in fiction are overrated. But no Hollywood writer can come up with new ideas. Argh.

@  unluckiness : (22 January 2019 - 10:05 AM)

How does the giant gimmicky Bumblebee toy have such an incredible leg transformation compared to the MPM

@  lastmaximal : (22 January 2019 - 09:27 AM)

I mean it's Vigo. We are like the buzzing of flies to him.

@  unluckiness : (22 January 2019 - 05:51 AM)

Perfectly. His talent is only surpassed by Tommy Wiseau

@  TheMightyMol... : (22 January 2019 - 04:57 AM)

How well he can play them is another story.

@  unluckiness : (22 January 2019 - 04:34 AM)

Blasphemy. Nicolas Cage can play anybody.

@  Pennpenn : (22 January 2019 - 03:34 AM)

I'm just glad we're in a timeline where Nicolas Cage was too busy to play Aragorn in Lord of the Rings. As much as I may like Cage, there was no way he could have done that and Viggo was infintely better for the part.

@  unluckiness : (22 January 2019 - 02:30 AM)

I want to see the timeline where Nicolas Cage was cast as Iron Man

Photo
- - - - -

Transformers: Cyberverse Cartoon General Discussion

1095 replies to this topic

#981 Boomhauer

Boomhauer

Creator of all things Transformers

• Citizen
  • 5374 posts
  • Faction::Cannonball's Pirate Crew

Posted 26 September 2018 - 08:14 AM

TvTropes is a fan-edited site and the cartoon area is composed entirely of people nerdy enough to care about the minor details of children's cartoons.
It's like a Wiki but with even less quality control due to too much stuff to keep track of.

That is a breeding ground for genuinely the stupidest and more clueless group of people you could possibly get. Just ignore it.

Edited by Boomhauer, 26 September 2018 - 08:20 AM.

#982 HellCat

HellCat

Opinionated idiot

• Citizen
  • 27805 posts

Posted 26 September 2018 - 08:35 AM

I get that but it's just so stupid.

#983 Sabrblade

Sabrblade
  • Citizen
  • 26702 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 26 September 2018 - 08:41 AM

Until you clarified beneath the image, I thought you were, for whatever reason, just posting a screencap from the TV Tropes page of Transformers: Prime.

Edited by Sabrblade, 26 September 2018 - 08:41 AM.

"When there's gold feathers, punch behind you!!"
QUOTE(Bass X0 @ Aug 17 2013, 08:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think the concept of being educated and being able to educate is something that more people need more of in their lives.

No, we don't all know everything but we should spread and share that what we do know.

If I'm consistently misspelling a word, I would want and expect people to correct me as should I imagine all decent people who know the value of good literacy.

Its just arrogant laziness to know you're spelling a word incorrectly and not correct yourself or ignore the advice when people do tell you how to spell a word correctly.

#984 ▲ndrusi

▲ndrusi

Praise be to Stakeout.

• Supporter
  • 26181 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 26 September 2018 - 08:45 AM

Stupider than the guy who, in a desperate attempt to not backpedal on a claim that Official Transformers Fan Club material belonged in the Fanfiction namespace, asserted that all licensed works are fanfiction and only works created directly by Hasbro are canon?

QUOTE(orionpax44 @ Jun 24 2012, 01:03 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Childrens toys? whaa the boxes seriously say ages 5+ I consider myself the plus.
QUOTE(mx-01 archon @ Sep 9 2012, 01:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You're talking to ▲ndrusi. Assume everything that he posts is snark.

#985 Monocle

Monocle

ASM Contributing Editor

• Citizen
  • 4014 posts

Posted 26 September 2018 - 10:13 AM

TvTropes is a fan-edited site and the cartoon area is composed entirely of people nerdy enough to care about the minor details of children's cartoons.
It's like a Wiki but with even less quality control due to too much stuff to keep track of.

That is a breeding ground for genuinely the stupidest and more clueless group of people you could possibly get. Just ignore it.

Agreed.  I remember one time there in the section on Crapsack World, someone decided to put an entry in about how it applied to one of Lady Gaga's videos.  Said person also put in Lady Gaga entries into a ton of other topics,  I think it has been cleaned up by now, but it was very annoying at the time.

#986 RichardT1977

RichardT1977
  • Citizen
  • 542 posts

Posted 27 September 2018 - 11:02 AM

I don't know if this has been mentioned yet, but I think the biggest clue that this is divergent from previous Aligned TV series is the fact that the characters have noses.

#987 Boomhauer

Boomhauer

• Citizen
  • 5374 posts

Posted 28 September 2018 - 10:26 AM

Characters ahd noses sometimes in Prime and the games and even comics tied to Prime. Not really a sign of anything!

Just saw Episode 5 on the CN App, it was fun but Slipstream's actress has... well, she has an evil laugh that doesn't exactly scare anyone.

#988 LV!

LV!

A tendency to speak in jest

• Citizen
  • 16336 posts

Posted 28 September 2018 - 10:35 AM

At least two RID-specific molds (Slipstream and Stormshot) have noses too for some reason.

This has nothing to do with obviously-a-new-continuity Cyberverse. I just think it's weird.

(Why Slipstream but not Jetstorm?!)

#989 Boomhauer

Boomhauer

• Citizen
  • 5374 posts

Posted 28 September 2018 - 12:07 PM

Stormshot was atleast designed by a Hasbro guy personally, so you can chalk it up to "guy that isnt from the show's art staff doesn't totally get the show's art style" much like Oil Slick from TFA or all the non-movie Movie toys.

But Slipstream is anybody's guess.

#990 Kil

Kil
  • Supporter
  • 9449 posts

Posted 28 September 2018 - 09:37 PM

Check your cable providers and your CN apps and whatnot, 'cause Xfinity two new eps available, both OnDemand via cable box and on their website: Episode 5, "Whiteout," which premieres on Cartoon Network tomorrow, and episode 6, "Megatron Is My Hero," which debuts next week. 

#991 Tyranno

Tyranno

Let's not lose our heads

• Citizen
  • 34876 posts

Posted 29 September 2018 - 11:22 AM

it's not immediately apparent but Slipstream has a completely different head design from Nova Storm.

pKCx81G.png

tumblr_inline_pftbmrhYvl1vfvbji_1280.png

She has a broader jaw, and lacks the markings around her optics that Nova Storm has.

Speaking of eye markings, each of the seekers have different ones. Thundercracker's draw down from the bottom of his eyes and separate his cheeks entirely from his face, while Acid Storm's are points like Nova Storm's, except they point down from the inner corners of his eyes as opposed to the outer as it does with her's.

I dunno. It's a small thing but it's nice how they're using little touches like this to diversify the Seekers.

"Disabled people don’t have special needs. We have very reasonable human needs. Our needs include freedom from abuse, violence, and mistreatment, the right to autonomy and self-direction, the right to represent ourselves, equal opportunity for education and employment, the right to accommodation, and societal inclusion and acceptance.

The need for accommodation isn’t a “special need”. It’s a basic human right. It’s a leveling of the playing field that allows us the same opportunities and chances as non-disabled people."

- Amethyst Schaber, http://neurowonderful.tumblr.com/

#992 ZacWilliam1

ZacWilliam1
  • Citizen
  • 16570 posts
  • Faction::RIRFIB

Posted 29 September 2018 - 02:50 PM

Looks like the CN ap has added the Whiteout episode but not the Megatron one.

-ZacWilliam, I like that they made Slipstream the unit leader on Earth and didn't jump right to Starscream.
Ever wonder about the speed of Turbofoxes?
Or the proverbial ailerons of Titanium Moosebots?

*Visit the one and only Cybertronic Bestiary.
For a mechazoologic tour of the mechanimals of Cybertron.

#993 Boomhauer

Boomhauer

• Citizen
  • 5374 posts

Posted 29 September 2018 - 03:25 PM

Megatron episode has a preview clip. Shockwave's a funny guy.

#994 The Predaking

The Predaking

Finally! A new Predaking is here!

• Staff
  • 38566 posts
  • Faction::Predacon

Posted 30 September 2018 - 11:53 AM

Episode 5 is up on Youtube!

https://www.allspark...outube-channel/

Restoring an Old Arcade Machine!

http://www.allspark....ade-game/page-2

#995 Sabrblade

Sabrblade
  • Citizen
  • 26702 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 30 September 2018 - 12:03 PM

Episode 5 is up on Youtube!

https://www.allspark...outube-channel/

And in the Episode 5 thread.

"When there's gold feathers, punch behind you!!"
QUOTE(Bass X0 @ Aug 17 2013, 08:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think the concept of being educated and being able to educate is something that more people need more of in their lives.

No, we don't all know everything but we should spread and share that what we do know.

If I'm consistently misspelling a word, I would want and expect people to correct me as should I imagine all decent people who know the value of good literacy.

Its just arrogant laziness to know you're spelling a word incorrectly and not correct yourself or ignore the advice when people do tell you how to spell a word correctly.

#996 Tyranno

Tyranno

Let's not lose our heads

• Citizen
  • 34876 posts

Posted 30 September 2018 - 12:04 PM

there's another new clip

"Disabled people don’t have special needs. We have very reasonable human needs. Our needs include freedom from abuse, violence, and mistreatment, the right to autonomy and self-direction, the right to represent ourselves, equal opportunity for education and employment, the right to accommodation, and societal inclusion and acceptance.

The need for accommodation isn’t a “special need”. It’s a basic human right. It’s a leveling of the playing field that allows us the same opportunities and chances as non-disabled people."

#997 Boomhauer

Boomhauer

• Citizen
  • 5374 posts

Posted 30 September 2018 - 12:59 PM

"hugging JETS!!!"

-Bumblebee

#998 Tyranno

Tyranno

Let's not lose our heads

• Citizen
  • 34876 posts

Posted 30 September 2018 - 01:56 PM

so, confirmation Windblade is a Camien.

#999 Kil

Kil
  • Supporter
  • 9449 posts

Posted 30 September 2018 - 03:25 PM

A bit surprised Blurr isn't doing the fast-talking G1/Animated bit. Probably better this way.

#1000 Boomhauer

Boomhauer

• Citizen
  • 5374 posts

Posted 30 September 2018 - 07:28 PM

All TFA dubs I saw had to use sped-up audio to match Blurr's talking style and it ended up sounding horrible, so maybe this was done for the sake of international audience.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users