Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  RichardT1977 : (23 May 2019 - 10:29 AM)

"DECOMPOSE!"

@  Paladin : (23 May 2019 - 06:29 AM)

will they next evolve into Inhumanoids?

@  Ashley : (23 May 2019 - 02:42 AM)

the original slivers were spikey monsters. then the evolved into humanoids. now they're back to spikey bug monsters.

@  MEDdMI : (22 May 2019 - 10:42 PM)

Wait. Slivers were bishies???

@  unluckiness : (22 May 2019 - 10:40 PM)

They haven't necessarily looped yet. It's possible they're stuck in "yaoi anatomy"

@  Ashley : (22 May 2019 - 10:35 PM)

I think Slivers in MTG have crossed the bishonen line and looped back around to monstrous

@  wonko the sane? : (22 May 2019 - 09:48 PM)

Maxi, provigo, loblaws.

@  RichardT1977 : (22 May 2019 - 09:42 PM)

Which store brand is it?

@  wonko the sane? : (22 May 2019 - 05:52 PM)

I need to buy more "no name" foods. This pizza is freaking awesome.

@  Bass X0 : (20 May 2019 - 11:16 AM)

SEND THE BOOKS!!

@  Cybersnark : (20 May 2019 - 08:52 AM)

So, now that Game of Thrones is over, when can we get back to The Dragon Prince?

@  unluckiness : (20 May 2019 - 12:19 AM)

Like, half of them nowadays are montages of tweet screencaps from the writer's inbox

@  unluckiness : (20 May 2019 - 12:18 AM)

lol you expected integrity from internet news

@  fourteenwings : (19 May 2019 - 11:33 PM)

I'm mostly confused how news sites went from "Analysing all the amazingness of Game of Thrones" to "Fans sure don't like this season!", like... way to prioritize clicks over a solid editorial opinion

@  fourteenwings : (19 May 2019 - 11:30 PM)

[and there's a recurring setting of a "derelict industrial site"] is this like the Toei Quarry?

@  MEDdMI : (19 May 2019 - 11:17 PM)

@Foffy and then that giant lasagna just tipped over and killed everyone, to be later known as the infamous Bad Monday event.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (19 May 2019 - 10:59 PM)

Ahahaha!!! Go read the reactions for yourself. To say anything more here risks spoiling the finale for subscribing Allsparkers, the quality of this season notwithstanding.

@  Foffy : (19 May 2019 - 10:59 PM)

pretty wild how heathcliff was in the game of thrones finale, i was not expecting that crossover

@  TM2-Megatron : (19 May 2019 - 10:48 PM)

were they still super pissed?

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (19 May 2019 - 10:48 PM)

Well, as someone who is not into Game of Thrones, it sure was entertaining to open up social media this evening to unexpectedly see headlines about fan reactions to the finale. Lmao.

@  Nevermore : (19 May 2019 - 06:12 PM)

But it's also a SUPER-well known location in my region, so these extensive exterior shots without any post production alterations completely ruin the illusion for me.

@  Nevermore : (19 May 2019 - 06:11 PM)

I mean, I get why they did it: It's an existing location that fits the purpose, it's open for the public, and they had to shoot some scenes in my home state anyway to due a subsidizing deal.

@  Nevermore : (19 May 2019 - 06:09 PM)

Needless to say, it's not in Berlin, and even what's seen onscreen is waaaaay too modern for something that's supposed to exist in 1929 (even moreso as a derelict site in 1929). The structures seen haven't even been built until the 1960s!

@  Nevermore : (19 May 2019 - 06:07 PM)

I'm currently in the process of watching season 2 of Babylon Berlin, and there's a recurring setting of a "derelict industrial site" or whatever it's supposed to be on the show, and I easily recognize it as a place only a few minutes from where I live (it's actually a former ironworks site that's been turned into a public park).

@  Xellos : (19 May 2019 - 05:52 PM)

Ever since I went to Japan last year, I have friend who dread watching anime with me due to that...

@  Xellos : (19 May 2019 - 05:51 PM)

Not hugely, but I am the type to notice places once I have been there and say "Hey, I've been there!"

@  wonko the sane? : (19 May 2019 - 05:50 PM)

Half of new york city (on tape.) is actually montreal.

@  TM2-Megatron : (19 May 2019 - 05:50 PM)

I watched Death Wish 5 last night and clearly recognized Toronto streets; didn't pull me out of Bronson's 1-man war on drugs or fashion or whatever it was that pissed him off that time

@  TM2-Megatron : (19 May 2019 - 05:49 PM)

it's nice to finally be thought of as exotic by somebody! lol

@  Nevermore : (19 May 2019 - 05:48 PM)

In an "I cannot possibly make my brain ignore the location I'm familiar with and pretend it's whatever the story claims it is" way?

@  Nevermore : (19 May 2019 - 05:42 PM)

Question for those of you living in exotic locations such as the US or the UK: If you watch a movie or a TV show that features a real-life location as a stand-in for someplace else, and you recognize the real-life location due to having been there in person, does that pull you out of the story?

@  Xellos : (19 May 2019 - 05:15 PM)

Maybe you should have installed macOS in your house instead.

@  Noideaforaname : (19 May 2019 - 04:40 PM)

Nothing like coming home after a long day to find a bird in the house. And then once you sit down for a well-earned rest after leading the bird back outside, you find it had a friend. A friend who *really* doesn't understand how windows work...

@  PlutoniumBoss : (19 May 2019 - 01:26 PM)

Bingo. The big polls don't tell people what's actually happening because that doesn't sell.

@  fourteenwings : (19 May 2019 - 10:59 AM)

IIRC there are good polls but data is easily manipulated so they give people what they want to hear

@  wonko the sane? : (19 May 2019 - 10:58 AM)

The only way to get people interested in politics is to make into reality TV. So they lie to do it.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (19 May 2019 - 01:38 AM)

Yeah, polling these days is garbage.

@  Sean Whitmore : (18 May 2019 - 11:53 PM)

Well, he was an honest man. He wasn’t gonna lie to a 5-year-old.

@  Paladin : (18 May 2019 - 08:34 PM)

Grandfather once said to me, "I'm going upstairs and hug your grandma."

@  Sabrblade : (18 May 2019 - 07:08 PM)

Mama always said that you can tell a lot 'bout a person from 'is shoes...

@  TheMightyMol... : (18 May 2019 - 03:54 PM)

Life is like a box of chocolates. Stay out of the sun or melt into a pile of gross slop.

@  wonko the sane? : (18 May 2019 - 10:26 AM)

Greasy, disappointing and still managing to be over priced?

@  Lancer : (18 May 2019 - 10:22 AM)

... Yes, it is!

@  Noideaforaname : (18 May 2019 - 09:48 AM)

Life's a fillet of fish!

@  unluckiness : (18 May 2019 - 08:53 AM)

ow the edge

@  Paladin : (18 May 2019 - 07:03 AM)

a reminder that life is an unrepentant hellscape where everyone & everything you know will eventually betray you.

@  Pennpenn : (18 May 2019 - 06:45 AM)

You know, this election is what has finally broken me of any confidence at any point of pre-polling data. I mean, it's always been sketchy, but this is just... aaaargh!

@  Pennpenn : (18 May 2019 - 06:08 AM)

I was going to make an Auspol election thread in P&R, but the outcome so far has made me feel physically ill.

@  Gamma V : (18 May 2019 - 03:28 AM)

Haven't been here in a long time.

@  Pennpenn : (18 May 2019 - 03:16 AM)

I have heard that, it's rather disappointing. Ah, maybe they'll just leech each others stores of "awful racist vote" and not go anywhere.

Photo

Titan Comics launches new Robotech book (with Simon Furman?!)

97 replies to this topic

#81 GodSentinelOmega

GodSentinelOmega

The New Year brings New Powers!

• Staff
  • 12758 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 10 April 2019 - 07:03 PM

I'd say you deserve a medal for still making your way through this.

My GOD! What the hell is going on?

fslookup.jpg

#82 Ya Kid K MK VII

Ya Kid K MK VII

Mic check onetwo onetwo

• Supporter
  • 4069 posts

Posted 11 April 2019 - 09:39 PM

This is my second favorite ongoing review ever next to Hunter Lunch (which seems to have been erased from the internet...) Thank you for the good times and the tears, Telly.

Edited by Coke Bathtub Spirit, 11 April 2019 - 09:45 PM.

#83 Telly

Telly

Killing forums since 1999!

• Retired Staff
  • 7815 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 12 April 2019 - 01:07 PM

aw thanks :) ill do the second part of 19 next tuesday (my next day off)

i sometimes wonder if im making it sound worse than it actually is. but then i remember its actually pretty terrible

When I die I will surely go to Heaven for i spent my life in Hell

#84 GodSentinelOmega

GodSentinelOmega

• Staff
  • 12758 posts

Posted 13 April 2019 - 07:25 AM

Honestly, in many ways i think you make this sound better than it really is. Even if only by you trying to make sense of this mess.

So anyway. Roy is on the run from a bunch of 'roys' and finds a clone tank with a Gloval in it?

Has there ever been a hint of an attraction between Rick and Lisa? Or is that just not a thing in this version.

fslookup.jpg

#85 Telly

Telly

• Retired Staff
  • 7815 posts

Posted 13 April 2019 - 09:13 AM

They almost kissed when they were trying to escape from the zentraedi a few issues ago, but thats been it. He did rescue her from mars if i remember right, but before that they never even met. I dont know how hes gonna rescue her from alaska base since shes on the sdf during the rain

In an odd reversal, max and miriya have had more page time together, and even thats not been much

#86 Telly

Telly

• Retired Staff
  • 7815 posts

Posted 13 April 2019 - 02:24 PM

yes. roy is on the run from roy and comes across a clone of gloval. a LIVING clone no less. so gloval is alive again. status quo mostly restored. i wasnt going to mention the clone being alive until i finished 19, but i wanted to post my idea before i forgot and it involves gloval.

so heres how i think it will play out. roy will sacrifice himself to stop zand and destroy the roy clones. gloval will then tell everyone that roy was a clone, thus saving us from having to see any reuniting of roy and the characters and having to give any explanations. so we will have roy dead and gloval alive and the status quo restored 100%

#87 Telly

Telly

• Retired Staff
  • 7815 posts

Posted 16 April 2019 - 12:53 PM

here we go with the continuation of issue 19!

in alaska, admiral hayes is trying to get the ueg to attack, but they want to negotiate with the zentraedi

on the sdf, rick is looking over the new super veritechs when max and percy show up saying they want to do their part and yada yada rick dont like the waiting. they boost ricks ego by saying hes capable of flying skull-1 and roy would be proud. he then says to get in the zone to kick some zentraedi butt

zand is watching langs experiment/development of the omni directional shield and says hes close and just needs a small nudge

we go back to the fight between kyle and the 3 spies. much kung fu fighting until minmei shows up. during the fight, the spies were doing their best not to reveal who they were, but when minmei asks who they are they spill the beans. minmei tells them she meant what are the doing backstage in what im sure was supposed to be a hilarious joke of misunderstanding, but it just came off as stupid

on azonias ship, khyron and azonia talk about how theyre being ignored by dolza and how he always does this and soon will come their (khyron and azonia) end. but khyron thinks he has a plan...

another part of the fleet, some gunner is targeting a location on earth. on earth, a tech picks up the energy build up from the fleet and hayes orders the grnd cannon to be fired at dolzas ship. dolza folds just before the blast arrives, but 2/3 of the fleet is wiped out. khyron tells azonia to contact the surviving commanders and to test their loyalty to dolza. in alaska, they prepare to fire the cannon again but find out they cant. they done blown their wad cause its got all kinds of cracks in it now. dolza (now a safe distance away) orders the remaining fleet to burn the earth

the next couple pages show the attack in various countrys, while brussels gets a full shot in the face and is wiped off the face of the planet. its weird theyre actually sending warships and battlepods down to earth instead of just razing it. guess maybe the fleet has taken such a hit they cant do the proper rain of death

the sdf arrives in the nick of time (shock!) and lang says the barrier is ready. the way he talks indicates he has no clue how he finally got it working, but WE know its all zand. rick and company prepare to take off when he getts a call from minmei. its about the spies and they are requesting asylum

on breetais ship, they too prepare to move out as the sdf has finally shown up

on the sdf, zand says all his years of planning are coming to fruition, and that all he needs now are the invid

roy and the newly awakened clone of gloval have a quick chat about stopping zand

in alaska hayes is talking to some stasis pod looking thing. he asks whatevers inside it if its earths last best hope (how many last best hopes can there be??) or the harbinger of doomsday

and thats it! no idea who or what is in the pod hayes is talking to. but given this books past its bound to be something stupid, like a zor clone or worse

#88 Ya Kid K MK VII

Ya Kid K MK VII

Mic check onetwo onetwo

• Supporter
  • 4069 posts

Posted 19 April 2019 - 04:10 PM

It's probably a pollinator that's also a laser ninja.

I hope it's Tesla, though.

#89 Telly

Telly

• Retired Staff
  • 7815 posts

Posted 20 April 2019 - 12:07 AM

It's probably a pollinator that's also a laser ninja.

unfortunately, that idea is way too awesome for this book

#90 GodSentinelOmega

GodSentinelOmega

• Staff
  • 12758 posts

Posted 20 April 2019 - 09:19 AM

So, which is more likely.

Roy and clone Gloval stop Zand, save the day, return to the rest of the crew for a heartfelt reunion.

Or.

Roy and clone Gloval go out with a bang stopping Zand and helping save the day. Except nobody with ever know what they did.

Edited by GodSentinelOmega, 20 April 2019 - 09:21 AM.

fslookup.jpg

#91 Telly

Telly

• Retired Staff
  • 7815 posts

Posted 23 April 2019 - 11:58 PM

whichever it is, its bound to be underwhelming!

#92 Ya Kid K MK VII

Ya Kid K MK VII

Mic check onetwo onetwo

• Supporter
  • 4069 posts

Posted 25 April 2019 - 09:31 PM

Minmei spreads her legs to reveal an Invid Clam Troopship which opens to reveal hundreds of tiny Minmei mecha.

Edited by Coke Bathtub Spirit, 25 April 2019 - 09:34 PM.

#93 Ya Kid K MK VII

Ya Kid K MK VII

Mic check onetwo onetwo

• Supporter
  • 4069 posts

Posted 25 April 2019 - 09:34 PM

And nothing in this book will ever top the Sentinels #5 novel scene in which Edwards uses an army of Genesis Pit-created naked Lisa and Rick mecha and attacks in a Space Invaders formation.

#94 Telly

Telly

• Retired Staff
  • 7815 posts

Posted 07 May 2019 - 12:39 PM

issue 20.

oh boy. first i want to start off with the last page cause its just too funny

robotechlies.jpg

is it just me? am i just unable to take this comic as it own thing without comparing it to the original? is my closeness to the original series keeping me from what may very well be a good comic?

or is it just a bad comic with ridiculous "twists"?

anyhow...

we start off with a space battle, where everyone is praising ricks fighting/command style

on the sdf, lisa is asking lang if the ship can transform, lang says it should be able to. lisa dont like the "should". lang says its because theyve suffered a lot of damage and "should" is as good as it gets. he also says the omni directional barrier is ready. lisa says to hold off on that until the zentraedi look like theyre no longer wanting the sdf intact. lisa then goes to her ready room and talks to the spies, kyle and minmei. lisa asks why the admitted they were spies and the say its cause minmeis voice has a power over them.

in space, breetai and company are on their way to the sdf. kurita or however its spelled asks how they wont be considered just another enemy ship. exedore says theyll offer the 3 spies as a good faith gesture. seems theyre doing this so theyll have help fighting the invid. breetai starts to make reference to a battle where the zent were wiped out, but is cut off by an explosion nearby before he can name the battle. he actually says " ascenario partially realized by the decimation of our". im assuming this will be revisited in the future. if not, then im gonna say its the ship they came across while on their way to the factory satellite.

on the command ship, dolza asks whats taking so long to destroy everyone. a no-name soldier says its because the sdf has bolstered the earth forces and hat some of the zent arent fighting. he says its because the other commanders dont think its a good idea to press the attack due to their own heavy losses. dolza tells him to tell the others they either fight or he will turn his ships aresnal on them

i dont know how to describe this part, so here:

page11.jpg

at the battle, rick is ordered back to the sdf cause lisa has a plan

on earth, all seems to be quiet at the moment since the zent pulled out. some major hudson is afraid that with no enemy around, theyre getting ready to target the city (new york btw) with a battleship. admiral hayes says theyre doing their best to keep them occupied, but he too is worried that theyre in the calm before the storm

back in space, dolza orders everyone to attack. but just as he does, the sdf starts a direct course for dolzas ship. dolza ithen aims at the sdf, no longer concerned with taking it intact. 

lisa orders the activation of the barrier. dolza fires several shots at it and it holds up. we then go to zand who says that lang never sought to question where all the devastating fire power is being displaced to.

now we are getting into the stupid, folks. everything was going pretty good to this point. apparently, the barrier now sends the energy its hit with to who knows where instead of either absorbing it or dispersing/deflecting it. this itself isnt the stupid part (but its still ridiculous). thats coming up in a bit

back to the story! the roy clones say theyve found the real roy. zand tells them to take him alive, but the condition doesnt matter. roy is talking to glovals clone, saying that whatever is left of the real gloval would be opposed to zands plan (still dont know what that is...). gloval says he is, then roy runs off to fight his clones. he losses and is drug off to zand, while gloval is hiding.

back on the sdf, lisa has told rick her plan, which seems to be using minmei to tell the zent to just go away, but they dont know how to reach the zent ships. kyle suggests the spies would be able to give them a frequency, but the fleet changes its codes every so often and the spies cant help. seems theyve been on the ship too long and the codes would have changed a couple times. claudia then comes in and says breetais ship has arrived. theyll have the codes! lisa says to let them land and to send those aboard to the ready room

rick and minmei have a talk about her not understanding the power she has. turns out she IS a protoculture mutant like rick. yay. rick says he is there for her, they hold hands and their arms start glowing. good god. she sings some song hats broadcast to the zent fleet while glowing (bangs head on desk) and she uses her neo-ness to tell the zent to go away. since shes like rick and can control the universe, they do what theyre told and go away (bangs head harder)

you know, i thought the whole concept of a song saving the day to be ridiculous in the cartoon, but i went with it. i mean, it wasnt anymore ridiculous than humans with transformable mecha fighting giant aliens that can clone and shrink themselves to human size, but this is a whole new level of stupid...

breetai says they have to finsih dolza off before he can fold away. they transform the ship, fire the main gun a few times and blow dolza out of the sky. he should be thankful that he is out of this travesty of a story. we see panels of everyone celebrating, and rick and lisa kiss each other. for some reason, minmei looks jealous and says "hmph". dont know why she would be jealous. she put rick smack dab in the middle of the friendzone a few issues ago. given this book though, furman probly forgot all about that. maybe shes just mad no one is congratulating her. she was the one singing and neo-ing after all

in some medbay, karl screams that the regess is coming. i hate that spelling. im gonna use the old spelling of regis. we then cut to some part of optera (invid homeworld) thats in ruins. the regis is laying in rubble. she screams that she is coming for the humans. turns out, all the fire power the barrier did whatever the hell it does, sent all the energy to optera and probly destroyed the planet (theres a caption repeating zands "never sought to question" from earlier)

thats it for this month, though there is an editorial note at the end. it explain all those countdowns on the covers i mentioned earlier. it was just a countdown to the next storyline, called "event horizon". yeah, whoopee. that really needed a countdown on the covers. theres also a zero issue released on fcbd, where the story starts. theere is some interesting news about the next few issues anyway. there will be a 5-page back-up story in them (im guessing its in all of them. it doesnt really specify) drawn by windblades own sara stone! titan will also be reprinting the sentinels starting soon. well, they say they will. i wonder how far theyll get though

#95 GodSentinelOmega

GodSentinelOmega

• Staff
  • 12758 posts

Posted 07 May 2019 - 04:39 PM

Oh dear sweet merciful!

'Starts banging his own head against a desk'

Once i'm done, i'll have some coherent rants about. Telly, you really are a trooper for making your way through this.

fslookup.jpg

#96 Maruten

Maruten
  • Staff
  • 6831 posts

Posted 07 May 2019 - 05:04 PM

Every person quoted therein should be arrested. 

I would love to support this book, and if it had decent art OR decent writing I would happily do so. Like, just make it pretty. Give me an art style that's at least vaguely influenced by the source material rather than working so hard to go in the opposite direction. Sigh. I'm genuinely shocked it's selling enough copies to still be alive. I love Robotech, we get so little new fiction that I'd buy just about anything with that logo on it. That's how bad I found this book to be. 

Looking forward to the upcoming Sentinels collection though. 

WsuGTl1.jpg

#97 Maruten

Maruten
  • Staff
  • 6831 posts

Posted 07 May 2019 - 07:42 PM

Oh, meanwhile the first of this year's two Robotech RPGs is now out. 

I've not explored it thoroughly yet but so far the only thing I have to say is "gosh what a lot of typos". 

Still. Make your own Robotech adventures! Guaranteed to be better than Titan's!

WsuGTl1.jpg

#98 Ya Kid K MK VII

Ya Kid K MK VII

Mic check onetwo onetwo

• Supporter
  • 4069 posts

Posted 08 May 2019 - 11:54 AM

Every person quoted therein should be arrested. 

I would love to support this book, and if it had decent art OR decent writing I would happily do so. Like, just make it pretty. Give me an art style that's at least vaguely influenced by the source material rather than working so hard to go in the opposite direction. Sigh. I'm genuinely shocked it's selling enough copies to still be alive. I love Robotech, we get so little new fiction that I'd buy just about anything with that logo on it. That's how bad I found this book to be. 

Looking forward to the upcoming Sentinels collection though. 

Oh wow, I'll buy that for twelve bucks all day. It'll be interesting to see how different it was from the novels. (I love the novels!)

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users