Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  MEDdMI : (22 May 2019 - 10:42 PM)

Wait. Slivers were bishies???

@  unluckiness : (22 May 2019 - 10:40 PM)

Not necessarily. It's possible they're stuck in "yaoi anatomy"

@  Ashley : (22 May 2019 - 10:35 PM)

I think Slivers in MTG have crossed the bishonen line and looped back around to monstrous

@  wonko the sane? : (22 May 2019 - 09:48 PM)

Maxi, provigo, loblaws.

@  RichardT1977 : (22 May 2019 - 09:42 PM)

Which store brand is it?

@  wonko the sane? : (22 May 2019 - 05:52 PM)

I need to buy more "no name" foods. This pizza is freaking awesome.

@  Bass X0 : (20 May 2019 - 11:16 AM)

SEND THE BOOKS!!

@  Cybersnark : (20 May 2019 - 08:52 AM)

So, now that Game of Thrones is over, when can we get back to The Dragon Prince?

@  unluckiness : (20 May 2019 - 12:19 AM)

Like, half of them nowadays are montages of tweet screencaps from the writer's inbox

@  unluckiness : (20 May 2019 - 12:18 AM)

lol you expected integrity from internet news

@  fourteenwings : (19 May 2019 - 11:33 PM)

I'm mostly confused how news sites went from "Analysing all the amazingness of Game of Thrones" to "Fans sure don't like this season!", like... way to prioritize clicks over a solid editorial opinion

@  fourteenwings : (19 May 2019 - 11:30 PM)

[and there's a recurring setting of a "derelict industrial site"] is this like the Toei Quarry?

@  MEDdMI : (19 May 2019 - 11:17 PM)

@Foffy and then that giant lasagna just tipped over and killed everyone, to be later known as the infamous Bad Monday event.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (19 May 2019 - 10:59 PM)

Ahahaha!!! Go read the reactions for yourself. To say anything more here risks spoiling the finale for subscribing Allsparkers, the quality of this season notwithstanding.

@  Foffy : (19 May 2019 - 10:59 PM)

pretty wild how heathcliff was in the game of thrones finale, i was not expecting that crossover

@  TM2-Megatron : (19 May 2019 - 10:48 PM)

were they still super pissed?

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (19 May 2019 - 10:48 PM)

Well, as someone who is not into Game of Thrones, it sure was entertaining to open up social media this evening to unexpectedly see headlines about fan reactions to the finale. Lmao.

@  Nevermore : (19 May 2019 - 06:12 PM)

But it's also a SUPER-well known location in my region, so these extensive exterior shots without any post production alterations completely ruin the illusion for me.

@  Nevermore : (19 May 2019 - 06:11 PM)

I mean, I get why they did it: It's an existing location that fits the purpose, it's open for the public, and they had to shoot some scenes in my home state anyway to due a subsidizing deal.

@  Nevermore : (19 May 2019 - 06:09 PM)

Needless to say, it's not in Berlin, and even what's seen onscreen is waaaaay too modern for something that's supposed to exist in 1929 (even moreso as a derelict site in 1929). The structures seen haven't even been built until the 1960s!

@  Nevermore : (19 May 2019 - 06:07 PM)

I'm currently in the process of watching season 2 of Babylon Berlin, and there's a recurring setting of a "derelict industrial site" or whatever it's supposed to be on the show, and I easily recognize it as a place only a few minutes from where I live (it's actually a former ironworks site that's been turned into a public park).

@  Xellos : (19 May 2019 - 05:52 PM)

Ever since I went to Japan last year, I have friend who dread watching anime with me due to that...

@  Xellos : (19 May 2019 - 05:51 PM)

Not hugely, but I am the type to notice places once I have been there and say "Hey, I've been there!"

@  wonko the sane? : (19 May 2019 - 05:50 PM)

Half of new york city (on tape.) is actually montreal.

@  TM2-Megatron : (19 May 2019 - 05:50 PM)

I watched Death Wish 5 last night and clearly recognized Toronto streets; didn't pull me out of Bronson's 1-man war on drugs or fashion or whatever it was that pissed him off that time

@  TM2-Megatron : (19 May 2019 - 05:49 PM)

it's nice to finally be thought of as exotic by somebody! lol

@  Nevermore : (19 May 2019 - 05:48 PM)

In an "I cannot possibly make my brain ignore the location I'm familiar with and pretend it's whatever the story claims it is" way?

@  Nevermore : (19 May 2019 - 05:42 PM)

Question for those of you living in exotic locations such as the US or the UK: If you watch a movie or a TV show that features a real-life location as a stand-in for someplace else, and you recognize the real-life location due to having been there in person, does that pull you out of the story?

@  Xellos : (19 May 2019 - 05:15 PM)

Maybe you should have installed macOS in your house instead.

@  Noideaforaname : (19 May 2019 - 04:40 PM)

Nothing like coming home after a long day to find a bird in the house. And then once you sit down for a well-earned rest after leading the bird back outside, you find it had a friend. A friend who *really* doesn't understand how windows work...

@  PlutoniumBoss : (19 May 2019 - 01:26 PM)

Bingo. The big polls don't tell people what's actually happening because that doesn't sell.

@  fourteenwings : (19 May 2019 - 10:59 AM)

IIRC there are good polls but data is easily manipulated so they give people what they want to hear

@  wonko the sane? : (19 May 2019 - 10:58 AM)

The only way to get people interested in politics is to make into reality TV. So they lie to do it.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (19 May 2019 - 01:38 AM)

Yeah, polling these days is garbage.

@  Sean Whitmore : (18 May 2019 - 11:53 PM)

Well, he was an honest man. He wasn’t gonna lie to a 5-year-old.

@  Paladin : (18 May 2019 - 08:34 PM)

Grandfather once said to me, "I'm going upstairs and hug your grandma."

@  Sabrblade : (18 May 2019 - 07:08 PM)

Mama always said that you can tell a lot 'bout a person from 'is shoes...

@  TheMightyMol... : (18 May 2019 - 03:54 PM)

Life is like a box of chocolates. Stay out of the sun or melt into a pile of gross slop.

@  wonko the sane? : (18 May 2019 - 10:26 AM)

Greasy, disappointing and still managing to be over priced?

@  Lancer : (18 May 2019 - 10:22 AM)

... Yes, it is!

@  Noideaforaname : (18 May 2019 - 09:48 AM)

Life's a fillet of fish!

@  unluckiness : (18 May 2019 - 08:53 AM)

ow the edge

@  Paladin : (18 May 2019 - 07:03 AM)

a reminder that life is an unrepentant hellscape where everyone & everything you know will eventually betray you.

@  Pennpenn : (18 May 2019 - 06:45 AM)

You know, this election is what has finally broken me of any confidence at any point of pre-polling data. I mean, it's always been sketchy, but this is just... aaaargh!

@  Pennpenn : (18 May 2019 - 06:08 AM)

I was going to make an Auspol election thread in P&R, but the outcome so far has made me feel physically ill.

@  Gamma V : (18 May 2019 - 03:28 AM)

Haven't been here in a long time.

@  Pennpenn : (18 May 2019 - 03:16 AM)

I have heard that, it's rather disappointing. Ah, maybe they'll just leech each others stores of "awful racist vote" and not go anywhere.

@  Trpodeca : (17 May 2019 - 11:09 PM)

I voted. Boy there are a worrying amount of parties which sound like fascists.

@  Pennpenn : (17 May 2019 - 06:55 PM)

For those in Australia, it is a federal election today. Go Vote! It's Mandatory!

@  TheMightyMol... : (17 May 2019 - 04:19 PM)

Humor? I 'ardly know 'or!

Photo

Titan Comics launches new Robotech book (with Simon Furman?!)

97 replies to this topic

#21 Maruten

Maruten
  • Staff
  • 6830 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 01 August 2017 - 10:20 PM

There's still hope, Furman doesn't join the team until later, right? I'M SURE HE'LL FIX EVERYTHING

WsuGTl1.jpg

#22 Copper Bezel

Copper Bezel

Accessorized.

• Administrator
  • 49121 posts
  • Faction::Equestrian

Posted 01 August 2017 - 10:45 PM

Turns out the Meltrandi were cloned to appease Micronian feminists.

Shouldn't gravity be doing something?

Of course there's a figure of Rodimus as some kind of animal girl. Why would I be surprised by this?

#23 Maruten

Maruten
  • Staff
  • 6830 posts

Posted 01 August 2017 - 11:00 PM

Oh god, we're doomed.

WsuGTl1.jpg

#24 Maruten

Maruten
  • Staff
  • 6830 posts

Posted 01 August 2017 - 11:18 PM

Some more reviews of issue one. A bit all over the place!

With a high caliber creative team and a clear love for the original series, this is one title from Titan that more than earns a spot on your pull-list.

Anyone who was hoping for a fresh and innovative reboot of this property is going to be sorely disappointed.

Overall, a great reboot for a great franchise.

Opens with a promising start ... I’ll be tuning in next issue, but my expectations are not terribly high.

If you’re a fan of the original, you’ll love this; if you’ve never seen the anime and want to know what all the fuss is about, this is a great place to start.

WsuGTl1.jpg

#25 ZacWilliam1

ZacWilliam1
  • Citizen
  • 16910 posts
  • Faction::RIRFIB

Posted 02 August 2017 - 04:11 AM

I just want more Invid toys. Loved those designs since childhood and it annoys the hell out of me not to be able to buy more cool toys of them.

-ZacWilliam, Invid, and maybe a transforming Cyclone that doesn't cost the same as a kidney.
Ever wonder about the speed of Turbofoxes?
Or the proverbial ailerons of Titanium Moosebots?

*Visit the one and only Cybertronic Bestiary.
For a mechazoologic tour of the mechanimals of Cybertron.

#26 Maruten

Maruten
  • Staff
  • 6830 posts

Posted 02 August 2017 - 05:33 AM

Yeah, I'd be pretty okay with All Mospeada, All The Time.

As long as it also includes Rick and Lisa.

WsuGTl1.jpg

#27 Maruten

Maruten
  • Staff
  • 6830 posts

Posted 02 August 2017 - 05:59 AM

Holy wow. DriveThruRPG even has some of Palladium's original RPG stuff available. Oh my super double gosh.

Robotech RPG

Southern Cross

Strike Force

Zentraedi

Zentraedi Breakout

Ghost Ship

Invid Invasion

Lancer's Rockers!!!

New World Order

RDF Accelerated Training Program

RDF Manual

Return of the Masters

WsuGTl1.jpg

#28 Cybersnark

Cybersnark

Sorry I'm late. Had to get my powersuit.

• Citizen
  • 11076 posts

Posted 02 August 2017 - 11:14 AM

I would kill for an actual, alien-filled Sentinels series. The knock-off Haydonites in TSC weren't nearly enough.

Honestly, what I'd like best is to take the McKinney novels, the comics, and the Palladium RPG, and create a new series based on them, pretending (for the sake of this project) that the cartoon didn't exist (because, let's be brutally honest, on a technical level, the cartoon wasn't that great).

(Hell, I'd argue that Macross didn't look all that great even by 80s standards until DYRL came along and up-budgeted everything --there's a reason most subsequent productions use the DYRL designs.)

One of the few things I dislike about the McKinneyverse is that a lot of it happens "off-screen" (either because this important Robotech detail wasn't part of Macross/SC/Mospeada and thus never actually appeared in the series, or because the novel was getting too long and meanderous and things needed to be streamlined). There's enough raw material built into the franchise to revisit the original storyline without needing a scene-by-scene reconstruction.

Like, say, making Dr. Lang an actual character, rather than relegating one of the most pivotal figures in the saga to an ascended Macross extra. Or maybe spending more time on the Max/Miriya romance so it doesn't feel so abrupt and forced. Or including young Jonathan Wolfe and T.R. Edwards from the beginning. Or including the Zentraedi in the REF instead of just ignoring them (I want my REF Battlepods).

Hell, open the first episode with a flashback to Zor on Tirol, with his loyalists hijacking the Battlefortress from under the Masters' noses --and thus setting up Zor Prime and Rem as Zor's clones, using the same voice actor and base character design. Maybe even include a pre-scarred Breetai, a young Cabell, and some hints as to the impending Invid war.

#29 Spark

Spark
  • Citizen
  • 38497 posts

Posted 02 August 2017 - 11:37 AM

Titan Comics launches new Robotech book

Ya-

(with Simon Furman?!)

Oh.

Fall of Cybertron will blow your mind. That is all.

#30 Maruten

Maruten
  • Staff
  • 6830 posts

Posted 02 August 2017 - 05:26 PM

Well, I enjoyed the first issue a bit? The art is dreadful. I get that they decided to focus on the "war" element of the franchise, so it all looks dirty and ugly and rubbish, like all war books are supposed to. I just wish they'd decided to go with an artist who could inject even just a little "cartoon". 

Outside of the art... well, I think if it looked better I probably would have enjoyed the book quite a lot? There's a few pieces of super clunky dialogue and I'm a bit worried that in trying to modernise Minmei they'll overcompensate and turn her into some sort of grumpy robot. Sorry, grumpy baseball-bat-wielding robot.

Issue two has a cover by Nick Roche. I suppose it isn't surprising to see muitiple TF alumni in the neighbourhood given that Titan is a UK outfit.

WsuGTl1.jpg

#31 Maruten

Maruten
  • Staff
  • 6830 posts

Posted 02 August 2017 - 06:11 PM

Furman arrives in issue 5 apparently.

https://robotech.com...2206427#2207227

WsuGTl1.jpg

#32 Blot

Blot

Grumble grumble complain grouse.

• Citizen
  • 7755 posts
  • Faction::Decepticon

Posted 03 August 2017 - 01:30 PM

Hey, if there's one thing I'd expect Furman to write, it's giant alien space people who have no understanding of basic human culture!

#33 Bass X0

Bass X0
  • Citizen
  • 43851 posts

Posted 06 August 2017 - 01:43 AM

Furman arrives in issue 5 apparently.

https://robotech.com...2206427#2207227

I just wonder how many Furmanisms he'll include and what the Robotech fanbase unfamiliar with his work on Transformers will make of them.

Just because you can't win doesn't mean you stop working.

#34 Maruten

Maruten
  • Staff
  • 6830 posts

Posted 06 August 2017 - 03:31 AM

I'm sort of hoping he'll give us some of the nonsense we expect, but I think he's self aware enough that he has his Furmanistic tendencies under control now. Is that right? I think I heard that.

I'm torn now. If Wood's script was irredeemably dreadful I'd be waiting for Furman to provide some spark of interest (if not quality) as the ship sinks. But the writing is fine if issue one is anything to go by. Too early to tell whether the book will be great or mediocre or rubbish but I'm feeling confident it will at the very least be solid if basically unremarkable. So now I'm just concerned that if 2-4 are okay, Furman will just come in and stink up the joint.

Gotta unpack some moving boxes and find the Wildstorm books. I hardly remember whether they were any good but at least there was some pretty art.

WsuGTl1.jpg

#35 Bass X0

Bass X0
  • Citizen
  • 43851 posts

Posted 06 August 2017 - 05:12 AM

I don't think Furman knows how not to be Furman. And he's lost the quality and charm he had back in the 80s. All his modern day work is the first 75% of a story being slow world building leading to the remaining 25% at the end to be rushed with barely satisfying pay-off.

Edited by Bass X0, 06 August 2017 - 05:13 AM.

Just because you can't win doesn't mean you stop working.

#36 Telly

Telly

Killing forums since 1999!

• Retired Staff
  • 7815 posts

Posted 06 August 2017 - 09:20 PM

first issue was all right. story seemed to jump around a bit and felt kina rushed to me

on the plus side, tommy yune isnt writing it

Edited by Telly, 06 August 2017 - 09:27 PM.

When I die I will surely go to Heaven for i spent my life in Hell

#37 Maruten

Maruten
  • Staff
  • 6830 posts

Posted 06 August 2017 - 09:43 PM

I sure wish he was drawing it though!

WsuGTl1.jpg

#38 Copper Bezel

Copper Bezel

Accessorized.

• Administrator
  • 49121 posts

Posted 06 August 2017 - 09:53 PM

Hey, if there's one thing I'd expect Furman to write, it's giant alien space people who have no understanding of basic human culture!

This story has humans in it, though!

Shouldn't gravity be doing something?

Of course there's a figure of Rodimus as some kind of animal girl. Why would I be surprised by this?

#39 Daith

Daith

My Nyah brings all the girls to the yard

• Supporter
  • 8926 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 07 August 2017 - 11:57 AM

If they were to do a Robotech reboot I'd want a blend of the series from the start as far as the mecha goes. if they really want to do a melting pot of the three anime make it so that We have Valkyries, Cyclones, and the southern cross mecha together with Alpha's upgrading the Valks later on and such. Other than that I'd like something similar to how Voltron: LD has managed on Netflix with mixing old characters with new or even more faithful concepts to the original sources. I know it's a laugh to imagine them being more faithful to any of the 3 anime considering HG.

#40 Maruten

Maruten
  • Staff
  • 6830 posts

Posted 07 August 2017 - 06:20 PM

Harmony Gold is fascinating. They have all these people employed to manage the Robotech brand, but what are they doing? Like, what does Tommy Yune's job actually entail on a day to day basis (apart from eternally slapping the same tired pieces of fifteen year old art on every surface within reach)? Do they just spend all year moving from con to con to announce whatever crappy little toy company will be churning out overpriced planes next? 

Unearthed my old Robotech comics. Flipping through Comico, Eternity, Academy and Antarctic reminds one that palatable art has NEVER been the norm for Robotech comics, so I think I can appreciate Titan more now. The Wildstorm minis are basically the only stuff that doesn't make my eyes bleed. Like, just a HUGE amount of "classic" Robotech books are SO bad. Americans successfully aping a Japanese style is a very new thing. Not that every artist on those old books was trying to do that; some of them were just dreadful on their own merits. 

WsuGTl1.jpg

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users