Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  TheMightyMol... : (14 August 2020 - 02:47 AM)

Fake news, no shinobi.

@  Sabrblade : (13 August 2020 - 10:31 PM)

Turns out the President set the whole thing up as a publicity stunt. Very rude.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (13 August 2020 - 08:11 PM)

The ninjas will go away, it will be fine.

@  Paladin : (13 August 2020 - 08:02 PM)

listen; i'm sure there were very fine ninjas on both sides.

@  TheMightyMol... : (13 August 2020 - 07:50 PM)

My thoughts and prayers go out to the ninjas.

@  Cybersnark : (13 August 2020 - 06:36 PM)

Can we just let them have him?

@  Bass X0 : (13 August 2020 - 06:18 PM)

The president has been kidnapped by ninjas. Are you a bad enough dude to rescue the president?

@  Otaku : (13 August 2020 - 03:08 PM)

At first, I obviously thought I was correct.  Then I thought perhaps the spelling had changed for some reason.  Copyright/trademark law is weird, ya know?  Now I just accept I goofed. XD

@  Otaku : (13 August 2020 - 03:07 PM)

See, that one directly applies to me.  Apparently, I'd been misreading and mispronouncing it wrong for over 30 years... and I still slip and do it the wrong way much of the time.

@  Paladin : (13 August 2020 - 07:37 AM)

for the Internet age its the "Berenstain" Effect.

@  Bass X0 : (12 August 2020 - 01:49 PM)

Can you root for what The Rock is cooking!?

@  -LittleAutob... : (12 August 2020 - 10:35 AM)

sOmEoNe NoTiCeD-

@  wonko the sane? : (12 August 2020 - 07:37 AM)

I am the only one rooting for the rock these days?

@  Maximus Ambus : (12 August 2020 - 12:37 AM)

Sour grapes for the next decade until Apophis hits.

@  Hg Dragon : (11 August 2020 - 11:26 PM)

Thank yoo for vatching hydroolic pthress chan-nel.

@  Hg Dragon : (11 August 2020 - 11:19 PM)

Hey, do you have any grapes?

@  Otaku : (11 August 2020 - 05:18 PM)

I dunno... it sounds kind of quackers to me.

@  -LittleAutob... : (11 August 2020 - 05:17 PM)

That would be nice....

@  TheMightyMol... : (11 August 2020 - 04:36 PM)

I wish I could just sit by a pond and watch ducks for a while.

@  Maximus Ambus : (11 August 2020 - 03:52 AM)

Others say Joe sat down at this pond next to these ducks but really there's just no place in this world for an old man and his ducks.

@  Nevermore : (10 August 2020 - 06:48 PM)

Even worse when I can produce those verifiable facts at a later point, and then the other person simply claims the argument was the other way round (as in, I was actually arguing their position and vice versa).

@  Nevermore : (10 August 2020 - 06:47 PM)

I can argue with people about my versus their memory of events when verifiable facts are not readily available, though, and I get really annoyed when I'm capable of presenting a precise, step-by-step summary with multiple key points that can be used for future verification, and the other person just goes "nope, wrong" without going into detail.

@  Nevermore : (10 August 2020 - 06:45 PM)

I forget things, and I misremember things. But when presented with verifiable facts, my reaction is more like "Huh, could have sworn it was like that", not "this reality is not my own".

@  Nevermore : (10 August 2020 - 06:43 PM)

I have an extremely good memory (which I have proven time and again), and even I can be mistaken.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (10 August 2020 - 06:40 PM)

Might be worth pointing out that it only became "Mandela Effect" and not just "I remembered this wrong" when a conspiracy theorist insisted it was proof of alternate timelines.

@  Otaku : (10 August 2020 - 06:29 PM)

Incorrectly remembering Nelson Mandela's fate may be uniquely American... but is it really that strange to get South African political history wrong when you're no where near South Africa?

@  Otaku : (10 August 2020 - 06:29 PM)

I always assumed the Mandela Effect was a "human thing", not an American thing.

@  wonko the sane? : (10 August 2020 - 02:03 PM)

Then there are people who outright manufacture memories for whatever reason.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (10 August 2020 - 01:13 PM)

The human brain is so flaky that it is extremely unlikely that a given person does NOT have any false memories.

@  OverDrive73 : (10 August 2020 - 01:05 PM)

Perhaps it's simple word association the movie Sinbad and then our minds apply the same memories to a man named Sinbad.

@  OverDrive73 : (10 August 2020 - 01:04 PM)

The Mandela Effect is the same as people remembering Sinbad in a movie where he played a genie... Of which he never did.

@  MidnightFox : (10 August 2020 - 09:36 AM)

People that believe Mandela Effect things would rather come up with any number of reasons as to why their version doesn't have any actual evidence(like alternate timelines collapsing into our own) than just admit they remembered something wrong

@  MidnightFox : (10 August 2020 - 09:35 AM)

Sort of. It's more that when presented with a verifiable fact, they double down because it's what they believe instead of changing their minds

@  ▲ndrusi : (10 August 2020 - 09:25 AM)

"I could have sworn that ______."

@  ▲ndrusi : (10 August 2020 - 09:25 AM)

I'm not arguing with either of those two statements, but they're not really connected. Mandela Effect is, to oversimplify, people being widely mistaken about what they think *is* a verifiable fact. Nothing to do with opinions.

@  MidnightFox : (10 August 2020 - 08:52 AM)

Pretty sure the Mandela Effect in general is an American thing. Opinion > Verifiable Facts is sadly a pretty American thing

@  Nevermore : (10 August 2020 - 04:27 AM)

Ask these people how Apartheid ended according to their recollection, and I'm sure they'll draw a blank.

@  Nevermore : (10 August 2020 - 04:25 AM)

You got two black anti-Apartheid activists who were imprisoned by the oppressive regime. One died, the other was Nelson Mandela. It's not a far stretch that Americans who don't know many details about the history of other countries would mix up the two.

@  Nevermore : (10 August 2020 - 04:24 AM)

My own theory is that these people are simply mixing up Nelson Mandela and Steve Biko, another South African anti-Apartheid activist, who did indeed die in police custody in 1977. There was an Oscar-nominated movie about his life starring Denzel Washington that came out in 1987, the same time frame these people claim remembering Mandela dying.

@  Nevermore : (10 August 2020 - 04:17 AM)

I met a few people from South Africa, and they either never heard of the phenomenon at all, or only know of it from the internet. Apparently, it's completely unknown in South Africa, and it might even be entirely limited to the United States.

@  Nevermore : (10 August 2020 - 04:16 AM)

So does anyone remember the "Mandela Effect"? I'm talking specifically about the original case where many people vividly remember Nelson Mandela dying in prison in the 1980s.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (10 August 2020 - 03:16 AM)

Crisis of Corona.

@  TheMightyMol... : (09 August 2020 - 06:16 PM)

Which crisis crossover are we on now? I lost track.

@  Rycochet : (09 August 2020 - 05:18 PM)

Much of the past decade has been the part of the comic series where less than stellar authors have driven the series into the ground and the editors are getting ready to either do a big multi issue crossover, leading to a reboot.

@  Bass X0 : (09 August 2020 - 02:28 PM)

At this point I've just decided to consider 2020 "not canon."

@  TheMightyMol... : (09 August 2020 - 02:18 PM)

'member Pepperidge Farm?

@  Maximus Ambus : (09 August 2020 - 02:10 PM)

Before the 'member berries there was Pepperidge farm. Pepperidge farm remembers.

@  OverDrive73 : (09 August 2020 - 12:21 PM)

>>>Shameless Plug<<< FYI. posted the last part of Quest for Tires in Allspark Pictures

@  SG Roadbuster : (08 August 2020 - 01:53 PM)

@Nevermore yes.

@  Nevermore : (08 August 2020 - 09:11 AM)

Is $30 a good deal for Subscription Service Breakdown?

Photo

Dragon Quest thread! Dragon Quest Your Story On Netflix Now!

107 replies to this topic

#81 Glenn

Glenn
  • Supporter
  • 10777 posts
  • Faction::Unicron's Spawn

Posted 23 December 2018 - 05:45 PM

It's been a long time for me too apparently

#82 Caldwin

Caldwin

Acid For Blood

• Supporter
  • 26082 posts
  • Faction::RIBFIR

Posted 23 December 2018 - 06:03 PM

Actually switch out Vampire for Dragon and he kind of has it.

I guess that's true. But it looks like before I can do that, I'm going to need a key. And I forget where that town is on the map. So... I'm still hoping to find that little strategy guide when I get home.
PSN = Caldwin

Switch = SW-7457-8143-2029

Mornings are for coffee and contemplation.

Before you do anything you can't undo...National Suicide Prevention Hotline: 1-800-273-8255

#83 Daith

Daith

My Nyah brings all the girls to the yard

• Supporter
  • 9559 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 23 December 2018 - 08:43 PM

4oClock

Switch code: SW-6538-7795-1972

#84 Caldwin

Caldwin

Acid For Blood

• Supporter
  • 26082 posts

Posted 23 December 2018 - 08:47 PM

Found it. I'm grinding to get the magical armor before going to fight that dragon. Kicked my butt on level 10. I'm 12 now. Get the armor, I should be able to save the princess.

I think the main thing that's going to give me trouble is that with the NES, I was well into the 20 lvl's and you can beat the game rather handily with that. But I don't know if they raised the lvl cap on the iOS or made the Dragon Lord harder. Should be interesting either way.
PSN = Caldwin

Before you do anything you can't undo...National Suicide Prevention Hotline: 1-800-273-8255

#85 Daith

Daith

• Supporter
  • 9559 posts

Posted 23 December 2018 - 08:52 PM

Nah I had this beat at lv 20 myself here a couple months ago. I had to refresh my memory a few times to remember exactly what I had to do a few times but I got through most of it on my own after 20 years or so. Now DQ 2 I never played through so I'm having a harder time.

#86 Caldwin

Caldwin

Acid For Blood

• Supporter
  • 26082 posts

Posted 23 December 2018 - 10:16 PM

My main problem I think is that I kinda know certain things I'm supposed to do, but not the order I'm supposed to do it in. So I get my ass kicked trying to do something out of order.
PSN = Caldwin

#87 Caldwin

Caldwin

Acid For Blood

• Supporter
  • 26082 posts

Posted 30 December 2018 - 05:16 PM

So I just defeated Dragon Quest 1 on the iPad. *goes back a page to see when he got it*

One week ago today! And...umm...I didn't play it at all throughout the week because I was playing DQ XI at my home instead. So basically, I beat this in 3 days.

These older games just aren't as long as I seem to remember.
PSN = Caldwin

#88 Caldwin

Caldwin

Acid For Blood

• Supporter
  • 26082 posts

Posted 31 December 2018 - 11:29 AM

I beat it! I finally beat it! Dang that final battle really is a gauntlet! But I did it!

*heavy sigh*

Now for post game. *sense of dread*
PSN = Caldwin

#89 Jet

Jet

Runaway Raccoon

• Citizen
  • 25006 posts

Posted 31 December 2018 - 11:51 AM

I'm interested in this game, since I love Toriyama's art and have always wanted to get into DQ, but I'm going to wait until I can find a used copy on Switch. I can't bring myself to buy a DQ game if the money I spend is going to a complete and utter shitstain like Sugiyama; I feel marginally better buying it used just because none of the money I spend will go to him.

Of course, that means if there's DLC, I'm not going to buy the DLC... Shit.

D&D has to report to shareholders. Pathfinder only has to impress its neckbeards.

#90 Caldwin

Caldwin

Acid For Blood

• Supporter
  • 26082 posts

Posted 31 December 2018 - 12:49 PM

I don't know what the story is behind Sugiyama and why you don't like him. But I'm no stranger to not buying something out of principle.

There isn't really any DLC. There were pre-order bonuses which are kinda nice early game but loses a bit of their usefulness later. So really, you wouldn't be missing much at all by getting it used. I don't know when it's supposed to come out for Switch in the States though. Probably going to be a while.
PSN = Caldwin

#91 Jet

Jet

Runaway Raccoon

• Citizen
  • 25006 posts

Posted 31 December 2018 - 04:30 PM

I don't know what the story is behind Sugiyama and why you don't like him.

He bought a newspaper ad in the Washington post saying that the Nanjing Massacre never happened and Japan has nothing to apologize for from WW2. Also, he has a talk show and laughed about LGBT teens committing suicide.

He's a reprehensible excuse for a human being.

D&D has to report to shareholders. Pathfinder only has to impress its neckbeards.

#92 Caldwin

Caldwin

Acid For Blood

• Supporter
  • 26082 posts

Posted 13 January 2019 - 07:30 AM

Wow! Nothing like finding out you just gave money to a complete and utter scumbag like that! I already have the game, so I'm still playing it. It's still a hell of a fun game. But knowing this now, I may have to reconsider getting any DQ games in the future.
  • Jet likes this
PSN = Caldwin

#93 Jet

Jet

Runaway Raccoon

• Citizen
  • 25006 posts

Posted 13 January 2019 - 10:05 AM

Just get them used. Or pirate them

#94 Jet

Jet

Runaway Raccoon

• Citizen
  • 25006 posts

Posted 22 April 2019 - 08:50 AM

Okay, so I got over my boycott and got Dragon Quest 8. I'm loving the game, even if I still hate Sugiyama's guts.

Also, despite Sugiyama's shittiness, XI apparently has an extremely positive portrayal of a flamboyant/effeminate gay guy. Like, Sylvando is camp as hell, but he's never mocked by the characters or writing for it, he's one of the most badass, wise and noble characters, he has characterization and development beyond being campy, and most importantly of all, he's never portrayed as predatory. He feels like Yuji Horii and Akira Toriyama giving the most elaborate and awesome "hug you" to Sugiyama.

Persona could learn a lot from him.

Edited by Lancer, 22 April 2019 - 08:51 AM.

#95 Glenn

Glenn
  • Supporter
  • 10777 posts
  • Faction::Unicron's Spawn

Posted 22 April 2019 - 09:08 AM

I'm interested in this game, since I love Toriyama's art and have always wanted to get into DQ, but I'm going to wait until I can find a used copy on Switch. I can't bring myself to buy a DQ game if the money I spend is going to a complete and utter shitstain like Sugiyama; I feel marginally better buying it used just because none of the money I spend will go to him.

Even if you bought it new, none of the money would go to him.  Composers of video games don't get royalties on the games.. only on live concerts or OSTs.  He was paid long before anyone bought the game.

• Jet likes this

#96 Jet

Jet

Runaway Raccoon

• Citizen
  • 25006 posts

Posted 22 April 2019 - 09:19 AM

Even if you bought it new, none of the money would go to him.  Composers of video games don't get royalties on the games.. only on live concerts or OSTs.  He was paid long before anyone bought the game.

Oh, rad.

#97 Caldwin

Caldwin

Acid For Blood

• Supporter
  • 26082 posts

Posted 27 October 2019 - 06:39 AM

So, I bought Dragon Quest 1, 2 and 3 on the Switch. Yeah, I know I just recently beat DQ 1 on iPad, but I've never played 2 or 3 and I wanted to play them as a trilogy. Plus the Switch has an actual controller.

Never having played 2 or 3, I can't wait until I get to them. Makes me really want to hurry through 1.
PSN = Caldwin

#98 Tm_Silverclaw

Tm_Silverclaw
  • Citizen
  • 11247 posts

Posted 27 October 2019 - 07:17 AM

You should be able to get through 1 in a few hours.. about 5 hours.

I'm close to the 50 hour mark in DQXIs.

#99 Daith

Daith

• Supporter
  • 9559 posts

Posted 27 October 2019 - 07:16 PM

Im nearing 90 hours on XI S. On the post game treasure hunt and level grind. So for those that played the PS4 version other than the quests with the four in the mid point has there been any other additions you found. I want to say there was one in the post game at Heliodor Castle after the reveal of the post games big bad but Im not sure if I just never hit it before.

#100 Caldwin

Caldwin

Acid For Blood

• Supporter
  • 26082 posts

Posted 27 October 2019 - 09:15 PM

I played it on PS4, but I haven't bought it for Switch. I doubt I will just because, dang I sank a hug ton of time into it on PS4 and just can't bring myself to go through it all again.

Purchasing 1, 2 and 3 was my bid for showing support on the Switch. Would love to eventually get 4, 5 and 6.
PSN = Caldwin

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users