Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  wonko the sane? : (23 February 2020 - 09:38 PM)

I tan nicely! But also have a family history of cancer... so... yeah, pasty for me it is.

@  Otaku : (23 February 2020 - 04:22 PM)

I really do begin to get sunburned after about 5 minutes of direct exposure, nowadays.  Side effect of already being pasty then going on a particular medication.  Yay?

@  TheMightyMol... : (23 February 2020 - 01:36 PM)

It makes me burn. Accursed daystar.

@  Maximus Ambus : (23 February 2020 - 01:33 PM)

Sunshine on my shoulders makes me happy....

@  Vexwing : (22 February 2020 - 03:26 AM)

I watched L.I.L.Y.Cat on there a while back, it was surprisingly good.

@  Steevy Maximus : (21 February 2020 - 08:47 PM)

@Dekafox, no DTP, but they DO have LILY Cat ;)

@  CORVUS : (21 February 2020 - 08:46 PM)

For me, it's "chocolate therapy".

@  wonko the sane? : (21 February 2020 - 08:32 PM)

Tonight dough owns my soul.

@  CORVUS : (21 February 2020 - 07:28 PM)

Stupid, delicious Ben & Jerry's.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (21 February 2020 - 06:42 PM)

Ahh. I remember watching Bubblegum Crisis 2020 or whatever.

@  Dekafox : (21 February 2020 - 06:25 PM)

Next you'll say they have Dominion Tank Police and L.I.L.Y.Cat

@  NotVeryKnightly : (21 February 2020 - 06:06 PM)

Bubblegum Crisis, going by several shouts down.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (21 February 2020 - 05:38 PM)

BGC?

@  Bass X0 : (21 February 2020 - 02:33 PM)

Enjoy the fudgy icing of this Hostess Cup Cake!

@  Telly : (21 February 2020 - 02:31 PM)

harlock is on tubi as well. not dubbed though :(

@  Rhinox42 : (21 February 2020 - 01:19 PM)

Blugh, the english dub of BGC is atrocious.

@  wonko the sane? : (21 February 2020 - 07:02 AM)

I might need to update my software, or they face regional limitations, cause I found no evidence of either.

@  Steevy Maximus : (20 February 2020 - 10:31 PM)

DUDE! Starcom and COPS are on Tubi too!

@  Steevy Maximus : (20 February 2020 - 09:29 PM)

Spiffy! The english dub of Bubblegum Crisis on Tubi. It's gotten so hard to find these oldies on modern streaming services.

@  Nevermore : (20 February 2020 - 08:44 PM)

And now I know and now I know and now I know that you can hear me, know that you can hear me, know that you can hear me.

@  Nevermore : (20 February 2020 - 08:31 PM)

Oh, oh, people can you hear me? People can you hear me? People can you hear me?

@  Echowarrior : (20 February 2020 - 06:39 PM)

Let me go-o-o-o!

@  Telly : (20 February 2020 - 05:41 PM)

Galileo Galileo!

@  PlutoniumBoss : (20 February 2020 - 05:36 PM)

Very very fright-ning me!

@  Sabrblade : (20 February 2020 - 04:02 PM)

*thunder and lightning*

@  ▲ndrusi : (20 February 2020 - 03:46 PM)

Ah, ah, ah!

@  PlutoniumBoss : (20 February 2020 - 03:33 PM)

Already did. It didn't take long.

@  Dekafox : (19 February 2020 - 06:14 PM)

Count Zero?

@  TheMightyMol... : (19 February 2020 - 03:53 PM)

Oh boy, here we go.

@  ▲ndrusi : (19 February 2020 - 02:34 PM)

Or do Japan's cultural values vary depending on exactly who you're trying to shut down?

@  ▲ndrusi : (19 February 2020 - 02:33 PM)

Could it be that, perhaps, these different cultural values might lead to a different approach seeming appropriate?

@  ▲ndrusi : (19 February 2020 - 02:32 PM)

Hm. Back when we were arguing about the Legends comic, I seem to recall being repeatedly told that Japan had different cultural values than the US (and therefore anyone who had a problem with anything at all was wrong to voice that opinion ever).

@  fourteenwings : (19 February 2020 - 07:23 AM)

Plus, as much as I hate to admit it, every single anime character is built to suit the audience's tastes so they buy more merch/do other things that allow $$$ to flow in the production committees direction, so the authenticity is certainly not for representation's sake.

@  fourteenwings : (19 February 2020 - 07:18 AM)

Both those anime air at midnight and are aimed at a very specific audience in a whole other media landscape. Major projects have press releases about almost everything, and there are groups just waiting to pat anybody on the back for doing what they want (GLAAD, HRC, etc)

@  B-Fox : (19 February 2020 - 03:16 AM)

It's funny that a friggin' anime about zombie idols and an anime about a school of anthropomorphic animals can have really positive trans characters WITHOUT a press release about their inclusion in the series prior to the episodes airing or having the creators announcing it on social media and patting themselves on the back for doing a thing.

@  TriBlurr : (18 February 2020 - 10:26 PM)

Vegan meat needs bacon

@  Paladin : (18 February 2020 - 08:43 PM)

vegan meat must taste delicious. they're grass-fed and regularly exercised....

@  wonko the sane? : (18 February 2020 - 06:57 PM)

Vegans are better than kids if you don't talk to them. They'll keep the lawn trimmed anyway.

@  TheMightyMol... : (18 February 2020 - 06:02 PM)

Do you want vegans? Because that's how you get vegans.

@  CORVUS : (18 February 2020 - 04:33 PM)

Hook up your sprinkler system to a canister of healthy organic carrot-juice. The kids won't be able to get off your lawn fast enough.

@  TheMightyMol... : (18 February 2020 - 03:59 PM)

Just use the hose.

@  wonko the sane? : (18 February 2020 - 03:52 PM)

Ask bing. It'll be a FAR more effective answer.

@  TrnsfrmGod : (18 February 2020 - 03:26 PM)

Google, how do I get those durned kids off my lawn?

@  TrnsfrmGod : (18 February 2020 - 03:26 PM)

Please ignore.  Old man here apparently doesn't know the difference between the "Search" field and the "Shoutbox" field.

Also doesn't know how to delete from the shoutbox

@  wonko the sane? : (18 February 2020 - 07:33 AM)

Huhn. Penny arcade was right, the division 2 is literally 3 dollars...

@  Steevy Maximus : (17 February 2020 - 11:05 PM)

Oh, Wicked Cool Toys got the Halo toy license. This is a big year for Jazwares

@  Steevy Maximus : (17 February 2020 - 07:02 PM)

iTunes/Apple TV has the complete Cowboy Bebop series for just $5!

@  fourteenwings : (17 February 2020 - 12:41 AM)

The Samsung Galaxy B-TOOM!

@  Paladin : (16 February 2020 - 07:20 PM)

business is booming.

@  wonko the sane? : (16 February 2020 - 06:49 PM)

SAmsung has you covered. Exploding phones.

Photo

Sonic the Hedgehog at IDW

192 replies to this topic

#101 Soft Snow

Soft Snow

If you are reading this that means I'm already dead.

• Banned
  • 1957 posts
  • Faction::Equestrian

Posted 02 February 2018 - 11:31 PM

So I just finished reading the original Sonic comic. While it ends at issue 290, I wanna say the actually story ended in 287 with the defeat of Dark Gaia and the reforming of the planet. The next three issues were just a special arc celebrating the 25th anniversary. I was hoping they would finish off that arc before it got cancelled but they were planning for a fourth issue that never made it. The series ends with Sonic carrying Amy in his arms.

It is kinda sad to think after twenty years its finally over. I read every issue too. It would have kept going if not for that law suit. Shame.

XIK8v9Z.gif
If I had a bit for every time you made me feel worthless, I'd be worth something by now.

Spoiler

#102 Shadewing

Shadewing

Artichoke of Misery

• Supporter
  • 36579 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 03 February 2018 - 06:56 AM

I just wish that they'd have at least allowed them to reach 300. Let them have that Milestone as a bit bag last issue.

3DS Friend Code: 0387-9040-3532

Twitch Channel

Youtube Replays

VOTE for what I play on 8/30!

Friday: Sonic Generations - Sunday: Transformers WFC - Tuesday: Little Inferno

#103 Daith

Daith

My Nyah brings all the girls to the yard

• Supporter
  • 9317 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 03 February 2018 - 04:09 PM

It would have been Glorious! But thinking about it we are probably close to 500 total counting Spin-offs. Counting stuff like Sonic X and Boom goes past it even. We had a good run for 24 years.

Switch code: SW-6538-7795-1972

#104 RichardT1977

RichardT1977
  • Citizen
  • 757 posts

Posted 04 February 2018 - 01:58 PM

And yet, according to my searches, nobody on this thread has made a joke about IDW being aware of any particular route.

#105 Fnu Aw

Fnu Aw

I like coffee!

• Staff
  • 39762 posts

Posted 04 February 2018 - 02:27 PM

For a licensed comic, it's hard to complain. That was a heck of a run. And there's already a replacement coming.

It's crazy. This videogame franchise spawns shows and comics like absolutely nothing else.

B5ofTKU.jpg

#106 Shadewing

Shadewing

Artichoke of Misery

• Supporter
  • 36579 posts

Posted 04 February 2018 - 02:30 PM

It would have been Glorious! But thinking about it we are probably close to 500 total counting Spin-offs. Counting stuff like Sonic X and Boom goes past it even. We had a good run for 24 years.

Yeah, but its like several years back when DC decided to renumber Action Comics when it was within a few years of getting to #1000. Sure with all the issues and all the other Superman titles there are a lot more then #1000, but its still a big milestone that they should have had (and now will have, yes) and one we won't get. #300 of a mainline linscened comic would have been an amazing thing to go out on.

Twitch Channel

Youtube Replays

#107 LBD "Nytetrayn"

LBD "Nytetrayn"

Quyzbuk

• Supporter
  • 18735 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 04 February 2018 - 05:05 PM

I question whether SEGA or even Archie (barring those working directly on the book, or who were fans, of course) even cared about the significance of reaching 300. Like, if they just saw it as another number, business as usual.

--LBD "Nytetrayn"

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gif0g9jaoG.gifuWt4fLV.gif

#108 ZakuConvoy

ZakuConvoy
  • Citizen
  • 589 posts

Posted 04 February 2018 - 07:16 PM

If we're talking about Japanese Sega, I doubt it.  I don't think large "anniversary" numbers are really a thing in manga, as far as I've seen.  A lot of times a manga reaches it's 100th, 200th, etc chapter without a lot of fanfare.

Archie probably would've promoted it, but I don't think they had much say in their license getting pulled.  We probably would've gotten some variant covers, at least, though.

Edited by ZakuConvoy, 04 February 2018 - 07:17 PM.

#109 Maruten

Maruten
  • Staff
  • 7416 posts

Posted 04 February 2018 - 07:27 PM

Yeah, the wheels had clearly fallen off pretty dramatically. It seemed like the book wasn't working on a lot of levels. Not that I'm an expert, but the sales were presumably not great, and there were a lot of delays (so the license is a great fit for IDW!). But unless things were really dire, it does feel like pushing through to make #300 would have been worthwhile - a great opportunity for easy, organic publicity and likely a sales bump, if only briefly.

At the very least, a more dignified note to go out on after decades of great work. Frankly it makes me angry that the book, an invisible mainstay in the industry for almost a quarter of a century, was killed so abruptly without a chance to say goodbye. Even as someone who only dipped into the books occasionally as a casual fan in the last couple of years, I mourn the death of Archie's Sonic, for all the obvious reasons. But it sure is exciting to see them starting from scratch. I don't think IDW's Sonic is going to set the sales charts on fire - at least not after the first two or three months - but best of luck to them.

WsuGTl1.jpg

#110 crockalley

crockalley
  • Citizen
  • 292 posts

Posted 05 February 2018 - 07:22 AM

I've been reading Archie's Sonic the Hedgehog since the beginning (1992?). I'm at a point in my life where all of my long-time fan things are under review. (I dumped Star Wars when they dumped the expanded universe, and it felt so good to let go.) I was shocked to hear that Sonic was leaving Archie, and I'll miss it, but I don't have whatever it takes to re-invest myself in a new thing. I stuck through all the weird ups and downs. I'm glad to have a clean break, instead of trying to force myself to be interested in an Archie/Sonic that's clearly not what it was at the height of my enjoyment.

I'm a lazy reader, so I've still got a few years of Sonic books stacked up that I haven't read yet.

#111 Broadside

Broadside

#HaulOfFame

• Citizen
  • 11067 posts
  • Faction::Cannonball's Pirate Crew

Posted 05 February 2018 - 06:36 PM

Frankly, I think that the point at which it got abruptly cancelled was a perfect endpoint, barring the unreleased issues of Universe and Mega Drive. The Unleashed arc had finally wrapped up, and we hadn't got unfulfilled setup for anything new - it just ended with everyone running off towards future adventures in our hearts.

unknown.png

#112 Maruten

Maruten
  • Staff
  • 7416 posts

Posted 05 February 2018 - 07:36 PM

Oh, I had some idea that it was mid-arc. Sounds okay then. 

WsuGTl1.jpg

#113 Fero McPigletron

Fero McPigletron

Not a Maverick! Maybe.

• Citizen
  • 8902 posts

Posted 07 February 2018 - 02:17 PM

Wasn't it mid arc? The last Sonic Archie issue I read was Sonic and Sally rallying the troops for a big confrontation and Eggman knowing about it.

Then is was suddenly a Sega game reboot adaptation. I have no idea how Unleashed was resolved.

FWXOT0z.gif

TOY DRAMA THEATER!

1 minute of (minimal) lights, (steady) camera and...  ACTION FIGURES! (mostly Transformers) - Episode 031: Combiners and chest envy 

Episodes here

#114 Confuzor

Confuzor

They put em in Smash Bros!!!!

• Supporter
  • 8117 posts

Posted 07 February 2018 - 10:19 PM

The Unleashed arc was resolved. Then we got 3 issues of filler re-telling the Genesis era games. Then nothing.

#115 ZakuConvoy

ZakuConvoy
  • Citizen
  • 589 posts

Posted 08 February 2018 - 04:14 PM

We did get those 4 online Sonic Forces promo comics Ian did, too.

http://bumbleking.co...cts/videogames/

That...helped fill the void a little, I guess.

#116 Fero McPigletron

Fero McPigletron

Not a Maverick! Maybe.

• Citizen
  • 8902 posts

Posted 09 February 2018 - 12:24 PM

Hey, thanks for the link! Read them...

I feel something is missing in the first issue. Was the OC suppose to figure that the green cylinder was powerful enough to blow the ship? The 'Unless...' part makes me think something was missed out.

Infinite was a jackal? Oh! I guess that's different than him being a hedgehog. I assumed that he was. I haven't seen a full run thru of the game so was his origin revealed there?

FWXOT0z.gif

TOY DRAMA THEATER!

1 minute of (minimal) lights, (steady) camera and...  ACTION FIGURES! (mostly Transformers) - Episode 031: Combiners and chest envy 

Episodes here

#117 ZakuConvoy

ZakuConvoy
  • Citizen
  • 589 posts

Posted 09 February 2018 - 05:05 PM

He decided he couldn't shoot enough of the bombs to bring down the airship, but he COULD damage the launch bay of the airship enough to stop more Egg Pawns from overrunning the city. (Also, the bomb is colored to look like Bean the Dynamite Duck...so maybe it does have a little more BOOM than a normal one)

And...parts of Infinite's origins are revealed anyway.  Mostly in DLC, it seems.

(Skip to 3.20 to get to the cutscene part)

(Also, SO MUCH EDGE...just wow...)

Edited by ZakuConvoy, 09 February 2018 - 05:07 PM.

#118 Shadewing

Shadewing

Artichoke of Misery

• Supporter
  • 36579 posts

Posted 09 February 2018 - 05:34 PM

Yeah Infinite kinda out edges Shadow... Shadow at least has a legit reason for being how he is, Infinite? He's just an emo poseur, he is like trying to specifically out edge Shadow because Shadow maybe scarred him or something? It kinda ruins a fairly interesting villain, someone that can warp reality, to know he's like the emo version of Dr. Doom.

Twitch Channel

Youtube Replays

#119 Daith

Daith

My Nyah brings all the girls to the yard

• Supporter
  • 9317 posts

Posted 16 February 2018 - 03:20 PM

So we have a first look at new comic villains Rough and Tumble the skunks. Set to premiere in the third issue. They seem about right for the look of the series at least.

Kotaku - Meet Rough and Tumble, Two Brand-New Sonic Comic Villains

Switch code: SW-6538-7795-1972

#120 Maruten

Maruten
  • Staff
  • 7416 posts

Posted 16 February 2018 - 05:28 PM

They look cool. Big skunk fan, hopefully they’re treated with respect and this isn’t some Pepe LePew garbage.

what skunks are serious business

WsuGTl1.jpg

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users