Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  PlutoniumBoss : (25 June 2019 - 10:12 PM)

It's like drawing someone in the "superhero landing" pose. It's just part of the cultural vocabulary at this point.

@  Arazyr : (25 June 2019 - 07:14 PM)

I can hear that post... *shudder*

@  B-Fox : (25 June 2019 - 06:09 PM)

So why does Cyberverse sound like . . . *that*?

@  Nevermore : (25 June 2019 - 04:05 PM)

Also, the theoretical new image would be a new compostion, it would just be individual bodies, or even just body parts, that are based on existing references by other creators, with the major caveat that there is more than one example for each reference so it's basically more like "following an established trend" than "copying someone's original creation".

@  Nevermore : (25 June 2019 - 04:03 PM)

Well, an homage is usually marked by a signature along the lines of "artist X after artist Y". I wasn't thinking about recreating something particularly memorable, just looking for reference images (just of a pose/perspective/layout) that looks like what I want, then finding more examples that just happen to look very similar, and it cannot be determined which version came "first".

@  ZakuConvoy : (25 June 2019 - 03:09 PM)

What you're describing is more an "homage" than plagiarism, really. I'm assuming you would be using different characters. It's basically like all the comic covers that homage the death of Supergirl cover from Crisis on Infinite Earths...but with different characters. It's not plagiarism, it's a reference. But if several artists have a memorable layout and are all using it, chances are it actually is referencing something memorably original.

@  Nevermore : (25 June 2019 - 01:56 PM)

Would that still qualify as plagiarism? After all, it could be argued that what I've recreated isn't that original to begin with since several other people have supposedly had the same general idependently from each other.

@  Nevermore : (25 June 2019 - 01:54 PM)

And I were then to create a new image, not traced but maybe "swiped", except I wouldn't copy a specific source image, but merely recreate the basic pose and perspective shared between all of them...

@  Nevermore : (25 June 2019 - 01:52 PM)

*deleted*

@  Nevermore : (25 June 2019 - 01:49 PM)

And out of sheer coincidence, they all feature very similar ideas, concepts, poses and/or perspectives, supposedly with none of the original creators having copied from one of the others...

@  Nevermore : (25 June 2019 - 01:47 PM)

Assuming I were to find not one but two, three, four or even more source images, all of them by different artists, or by different photographers depicting different models...

@  Nevermore : (25 June 2019 - 01:45 PM)

Just out of curiosity, a question regarding the concept of plagiarism:

@  Benbot : (25 June 2019 - 08:58 AM)

That game needs a remake

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (25 June 2019 - 08:57 AM)

I am Error.

@  TheMightyMol... : (25 June 2019 - 08:17 AM)

There is no error. There is only Zuul.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (25 June 2019 - 07:51 AM)

The unicron singularity fixes all continuity errors.. including Power Rangers related ones now!

@  MEDdMI : (25 June 2019 - 07:06 AM)

I reject your canon and substitute my own

@  unluckiness : (25 June 2019 - 12:32 AM)

Answer: It doesn't matter because even if there was one, it was never relevant in S1 and it got blown up with his original body

@  PlutoniumBoss : (24 June 2019 - 10:55 PM)

Most people think Transformers canon is a series of discrete parallel lines, really it's more like a big ball of canony-wanony... stuff.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (24 June 2019 - 06:31 PM)

Hate to say this, but the simple answer is that you are thinking too hard and realistically, it does not matter.

@  TheMightyMol... : (24 June 2019 - 04:57 PM)

Don't tell me what to do.

@  Paladin : (24 June 2019 - 04:16 PM)

don't cross the streams.

@  tffan01 : (24 June 2019 - 03:03 PM)

Or is this what AVP meant when he said that condradictory streams formed the JG1 timeline?

@  tffan01 : (24 June 2019 - 02:25 PM)

I don't like that idea.

@  tffan01 : (24 June 2019 - 02:24 PM)

In Ask Vector Prime, it was mentioned that in the Beast Wars 2 universe, Convoys all have Energon Matrices and that when Optimus Primal from the Japanese Beast Wars stream was transported to the Beast Wars 2 stream, his history was subtly altered that he too possessed an Energon Matrix. What does this mean? That Beast Wars 2 is actually not canon to the Japanese Beast Wars?

@  MEDdMI : (24 June 2019 - 08:54 AM)

yeah, I've got a few others that I need to check out/get removed. The nose one is small but annoying since I hit it every time I blow my nose.

@  unluckiness : (24 June 2019 - 08:46 AM)

Try to get a histopath examination if it isn't too expensive over there. It's probably just a mole but I'd think certainty would be better.

@  MEDdMI : (24 June 2019 - 07:59 AM)

@unluckiness I know, plan to get it removed but gotta get an appt first

@  Gizmoboy : (24 June 2019 - 07:50 AM)

oops... typed that in the wrong field. :)

@  Gizmoboy : (24 June 2019 - 07:50 AM)

gizmoboy

@  unluckiness : (24 June 2019 - 03:18 AM)

That is not a good thing, especially in the long term

@  MEDdMI : (23 June 2019 - 10:17 PM)

So who wants to hear about this mole on my nose that I keep scratching open

@  NotVeryKnightly : (23 June 2019 - 09:24 PM)

Yeah, it's kind of defeating the purpose of making political discussions more restricted if you're just gonna go at it elsewhere on this site.

@  Telly : (23 June 2019 - 07:06 PM)

that would probly fit better in the p & r thread. its there for things just like this

@  Nevermore : (23 June 2019 - 03:29 PM)

The citizens resisted by buying up all the town's beer reserves so the Nazis would have to stay sober the entire time.

@  Nevermore : (23 June 2019 - 03:28 PM)

Meanwhile, congratulations civil resistance, part 2: So a group of Nazis were holding one of their Good Old Times Reenactment festivals in a small East German town.

@  Nevermore : (23 June 2019 - 03:26 PM)

It's basically like an anti-Trump candidate winning Texas.

@  Nevermore : (23 June 2019 - 03:25 PM)

The mayoral elections of Istanbul are considered to be a key indicator for the political climate in the entire country.

@  Nevermore : (23 June 2019 - 03:24 PM)

This time, it was a landslide victory for the opposition's candidate.

@  Nevermore : (23 June 2019 - 03:23 PM)

After president Erdogan had a court revoke the results of the mayoral election of Istanbul after the opposition party's candidate had won by a small margin, the election was repeated today.

@  Nevermore : (23 June 2019 - 03:21 PM)

Congratulations, democracy part 1: Today is a historic day for Turkey.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (23 June 2019 - 02:31 PM)

Convert, does he timeout?

@  unluckiness : (23 June 2019 - 09:12 AM)

Did he form the feet and legs or the arms and body?

@  Patch : (22 June 2019 - 06:11 PM)

Nah, he was one of the Lions

@  MEDdMI : (22 June 2019 - 04:45 PM)

Is he a Shellformer

@  Nevermore : (22 June 2019 - 12:38 PM)

Supposedly it's about that football player Calvin Johnson.

@  Pennpenn : (22 June 2019 - 07:03 AM)

I'm vaguely confused why there is a Nicki Minaj song in my youtube reccomendations, but even more confused as to why that song (which appears to be from an official account) is called "MEGATRON".

@  Liege : (21 June 2019 - 10:03 PM)

Alpha Q all night long.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (21 June 2019 - 10:44 AM)

Only if you ask nicely, Silv.

@  RichardT1977 : (21 June 2019 - 09:42 AM)

1998 Zilla is the Gaijin era.

Photo

Sonic the Hedgehog at IDW

178 replies to this topic

#61 Tyranno

Tyranno

Let's not lose our heads

• Citizen
  • 35055 posts

Posted 05 August 2017 - 06:37 AM

That's a negative.

"Disabled people donít have special needs. We have very reasonable human needs. Our needs include freedom from abuse, violence, and mistreatment, the right to autonomy and self-direction, the right to represent ourselves, equal opportunity for education and employment, the right to accommodation, and societal inclusion and acceptance.

The need for accommodation isnít a ďspecial needĒ. Itís a basic human right. Itís a leveling of the playing field that allows us the same opportunities and chances as non-disabled people."

- Amethyst Schaber, http://neurowonderful.tumblr.com/

#62 Fero McPigletron

Fero McPigletron

Not a Maverick! Maybe.

• Citizen
  • 8274 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 05 August 2017 - 08:51 PM

:(

I don't know the faces or even key people in IDW so who's good in there?

FWXOT0z.gif

TOY DRAMA THEATER!

1 minute of (minimal) lights, (steady) camera and...  ACTION FIGURES! (mostly Transformers) - Episode 031: Combiners and chest envy 

Episodes here

#63 LBD "Nytetrayn"

LBD "Nytetrayn"

Quyzbuk

• Supporter
  • 18585 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 07 August 2017 - 04:41 AM

https://twitter.com/...220142569594880

Oh...great.

Aaron means we can expect the comics to be drowning in crap overused Sonic memes.

I doubt that. What works for social media isn't necessarily going to work for a comic, and I'm pretty sure Aaron and IDW would both realize that.

--LBD "Nytetrayn"

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gif0g9jaoG.gifuWt4fLV.gif

#64 Maruten

Maruten
  • Staff
  • 6924 posts

Posted 07 August 2017 - 05:01 AM

I have a lot of faith in IDW. Are they publishing anything... apart from MASK... that's just bad?

WsuGTl1.jpg

#65 Tyranno

Tyranno

Let's not lose our heads

• Citizen
  • 35055 posts

Posted 07 August 2017 - 07:19 AM

Lost Light.

:p

"Disabled people donít have special needs. We have very reasonable human needs. Our needs include freedom from abuse, violence, and mistreatment, the right to autonomy and self-direction, the right to represent ourselves, equal opportunity for education and employment, the right to accommodation, and societal inclusion and acceptance.

The need for accommodation isnít a ďspecial needĒ. Itís a basic human right. Itís a leveling of the playing field that allows us the same opportunities and chances as non-disabled people."

#66 Daith

Daith

My Nyah brings all the girls to the yard

• Supporter
  • 8969 posts

Posted 07 August 2017 - 11:01 AM

Lost Light.

That's an odd way of spelling Optimus Prime there Razorsaw.

#67 Confuzor

Confuzor

They put em in Smash Bros!!!!

• Supporter
  • 7802 posts

Posted 07 August 2017 - 04:03 PM

Can we please NOT

#68 Maruten

Maruten
  • Staff
  • 6924 posts

Posted 07 August 2017 - 06:08 PM

Lost Light.

xpfJhOQ.jpg

WsuGTl1.jpg

#69 Tyranno

Tyranno

Let's not lose our heads

• Citizen
  • 35055 posts

Posted 07 August 2017 - 07:47 PM

It's a joke I'm not seriously going to start a debate.

#70 Daith

Daith

My Nyah brings all the girls to the yard

• Supporter
  • 8969 posts

Posted 24 January 2018 - 03:14 PM

Well the first four issues solicits are up and well they pretty much confirm that SAT AM;s influence is gone completely as well as adding new resistance fighters.

Sonic the Hedgehog #1—Cover A: Tyson Hesse—GEM OF THE MONTH
Ian Flynn (w) • Tracy Yardley (a) • Tyson Hesse ©
SONIC’S RACING INTO A NEW ADVENTURE!After defeating the evil Dr. Eggman’s latest plot, Sonic is racing around the world to shut down the robotic Badnik forces that are still attacking villages. But it’s a big job for one hedgehog—even Sonic! Fortunately, he’ll have some help from his best friend: Tails! 
*Retailers: See your order form for incentive information.
FC • 32 pages • $3.99
Expected in-store date: 4/4/18

Sonic the Hedgehog #1—Cover B: Tracy Yardley—GEM OF THE MONTH
Ian Flynn (w) • Tracy Yardley (a & c)
FC • 32 pages • $3.99
Expected in-store date: 4/4/18

*Retailer incentives:
                         Order 10 copies, get one free variant cover by Nathalie Fourdraine!
Order 25 copies, get one free variant cover featuring the characters from the issue by Rafa Knight!
Order 25 copies of issues #1-4, and get one free variant cover of issue #1 by Sonic Mania artist Kieran Gates!

Sonic the Hedgehog #2—Cover A: Tyson Hesse—GEM OF THE MONTH
Ian Flynn (w) • Adam Bryce Thomas (a) • Tyson Hesse ©
Sonic’s new adventure continues, and when he comes across another town in need of saving, his old pal Amy arrives just in time to join the fight! The banter is fun, and the stakes are high, but things get really serious when Amy presents Sonic with a big request: rejoin the Resistance!
FC • 32 pages • $3.99
Expected in-store date: 4/11/18

Sonic the Hedgehog #2—Cover B: Adam Bryce Thomas—GEM OF THE MONTH
Ian Flynn (w) • Adam Bryce Thomas (a & c)
FC • 32 pages • $3.99
Expected in-store date: 4/11/18

*Retailer incentives:
Order 25 copies, get one free variant cover featuring the characters from the issue by Jonathan Gray!

Sonic the Hedgehog #3—Cover A: Tyson Hesse—GEM OF THE MONTH
Ian Flynn (w) • Jen Hernandez (a) • Tyson Hesse ©
Sonic and Knuckles team up, and it’s just like old times—until two new villains show up. With a group of villagers under attack, will even the combined forces of these two heroes be enough to take down Rough and Tumble???
FC • 32 pages • $3.99
Expected in-store date: 4/18/18

Sonic the Hedgehog #3—Cover B: Jen Hernandez—GEM OF THE MONTH
Ian Flynn (w) • Jen Hernandez (a & c)
FC • 32 pages • $3.99
*Expected in-store date: 4/18/18

*Retailer incentives:
Order 25 copies, get one free variant cover featuring the characters from the issue by Jamal Peppers!

Sonic the Hedgehog #4—Cover A: Tyson Hesse—GEM OF THE MONTH
Ian Flynn (w) • Evan Stanley (a) • Tyson Hesse ©
Sonic comes across a town under attack from the biggest Badnik force he’s ever seen. Luckily, help is on the way from his old friend Blaze, as well as a new hero! Get ready for the debut of Tangle!
FC • 32 pages • $3.99
Expected in-store date: 4/25/18

Sonic the Hedgehog #4—Cover B: Evan Stanley—GEM OF THE MONTH
Ian Flynn (w) • Evan Stanley (a & c)
FC • 32 pages • $3.99
Expected in-store date: 4/25/18

*Retailer incentives:
Order 25 copies, get one free variant cover featuring the characters from the issue by Tyson Hesse!   

Bullet points:
-         Gotta go fast! To celebrate the blue blur coming to IDW, the first 4 issues ship weekly in April!
-        Featuring beloved Sonic creators introducing all-new characters in all-new adventures!
-        Variant covers featuring the main cast of each issue by artists like Rafa Knight, Jamal Peppers, and Tyson Hesse!
-        Connecting covers by Sonic Mania animation artist Tyson Hesse!

#71 Maruten

Maruten
  • Staff
  • 6924 posts

Posted 24 January 2018 - 04:34 PM

Shipping the first four issues weekly is a bold choice. I hope it doesn't price their younger audience out of the market. Or indeed many of the older ones. 

I'm keen to see how the book turns out. It's incredibly unfortunate that Archie's entire run is in the trash now, but a clean slate could potentially lead to some great stuff. Having Ian Flynn is basically great, but also... maybe it would have been smart to go with a completely new voice for the property? Dunno. I'm conflicted. 

Ultimately though, even as a very casual fan I'm just glad Sonic will be back on shelves. 

WsuGTl1.jpg

#72 Fnu Aw

Fnu Aw

I like coffee!

• Staff
  • 37943 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 24 January 2018 - 05:07 PM

the Resistance!

Close enough. It's a shame to see the old stuff totally gone but it sounds like they're trying to make the most of the situation.

B5ofTKU.jpg

#73 Soft Snow

Soft Snow

If you are reading this that means I'm already dead.

• Banned
  • 1957 posts
  • Faction::Equestrian

Posted 24 January 2018 - 05:20 PM

I just heard the news that Sonic was bought up by IDW. I'm a huge Sonic fan (just not active in the news department apparently). I wanted to finish up the Archie comics before the new series started in April, I was at issue 285 but it seems Comixology no longer sells Archie Sonic comics. Anyone where where I can get the old Archie comics at?

XIK8v9Z.gif
If I had a bit for every time you made me feel worthless, I'd be worth something by now.

Spoiler

#74 Confuzor

Confuzor

They put em in Smash Bros!!!!

• Supporter
  • 7802 posts

Posted 24 January 2018 - 05:29 PM

Courtesy of the Sonic Facebook page
Spoiler

Edit: New character is Tangle a Ring Tailed Lemur
26952467_10156043193532418_1557939340803

Edited by Confuzor, 24 January 2018 - 05:37 PM.

#75 Maruten

Maruten
  • Staff
  • 6924 posts

Posted 24 January 2018 - 06:21 PM

I really love the Sonic aesthetic. Squish basically any animal into the constraints of that style and I'm going to like the look of it. 

WsuGTl1.jpg

#76 Soft Snow

Soft Snow

• Banned
  • 1957 posts

Posted 24 January 2018 - 06:28 PM

And... There is lewd pictures of Tangle already. Good job, Sonic fandom, Good job.

XIK8v9Z.gif
If I had a bit for every time you made me feel worthless, I'd be worth something by now.

Spoiler

#77 Fnu Aw

Fnu Aw

I like coffee!

• Staff
  • 37943 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 24 January 2018 - 07:23 PM

Those Facebook images look absolutely spot on. This looks good.

B5ofTKU.jpg

#78 ZakuConvoy

ZakuConvoy
  • Citizen
  • 491 posts

Posted 24 January 2018 - 08:56 PM

Well the first four issues solicits are up and well they pretty much confirm that SAT AM;s influence is gone completely as well as adding new resistance fighters.

*Sighs*

*Pours out a cold one for his fallen childhood friends...failing a super-secret last-page reveal or something*

But, I'll admit, I was wrong about this JUST being a Megadrive/Mania series with no original characters.  The new comic might have it's own feel after all.  Tangle looks fine so far.  Kind of curious what her deal is.  And Blaze is kind of a surprise.  She isn't usually included in the "main" cast.

But...

Sonic’s new adventure continues, and when he comes across another town in need of saving, his old pal Amy arrives just in time to join the fight! The banter is fun, and the stakes are high, but things get really serious when Amy presents Sonic with a big request: rejoin the Resistance!

They're using that word...I don't like that they're using that word from Sonic Forces.  They couldn't possibly think a Sonic Forces "adaptation" is a good idea, right?  We couldn't possibly be in for another multi-year "arc" like Archie's Sonic Unleashed one, right?  I'm just overreacting, right?  I mean, the only other thing that even HINTS at that are the Egg Pawns, and that's not much, but...no no no no no

Shipping the first four issues weekly is a bold choice. I hope it doesn't price their younger audience out of the market. Or indeed many of the older ones. 

Having Ian Flynn is basically great, but also... maybe it would have been smart to go with a completely new voice for the property? Dunno. I'm conflicted. 

Yeah...I'll admit, I see Ian as more of a Geoff Johns-type of a writer.  Give him a continuity to play in and he can work wonders.  His own creations...leave something to be desired.

This'll be decent.  I don't know if I've ever read a BAD Ian Flynn comic.  But...it'll probably be closer to the quality of the Shattered World arc rather than his pre-Super Genesis Wave stuff.  I mean, I don't think anyone will miss Princess Undina or Moss too much.  Clove and Cassia are an unfortunate loss, though.  And Dulcy and the Shijin Warriors and Nephthys and the Desert Raiders had some real possibilities, if the comic had continued.  But, Eclipse was a little OVERplayed...Ian can be kind of hit and miss with new characters, is my point.

And, let's face it, he's over 200 issues into his run, if we count Universe.  How much more can he have left in him?  I mean, from the looks of the penciled pages of the cancelled Archie comics, we were still in for some cool stuff.  Including a reference to one of my favorite Sonic covers of all time.  But...I've personally found that the BEST comic runs only last for about 60 issues or so.  It gives the writer enough room to make a well made, fleshed out story...without overstaying their welcome.  You either remain a Neil Gaiman or become a Chris Claremont, is what I'm saying. 

And Ian can REALLY go too far with the decompression sometimes.  The Shattered World arc taking THREE YEARS to finish...the Megaman comic lasting until issue 50 and not even getting to Megaman 4...It just gets to be too much.  Ian has definitely had more than his fair share of time with the character.  New blood wouldn't be a bad thing.

Thing is...WHO would replace him?  I mean, we've had a few fill-in writers here and there during Ian's run, but nobody really stands out.  Yardley's fine, but he's not really all that different or more interesting than Ian.  And outside of MAYBE Scottie Young (of Marvel's Oz books and I Hate Fairyland), I can't think of another writer with enough all-ages experience to really give us something decent.  (Maybe the Atomic Robo guy, Brian Clevinger?) He's really the only writer that I can think of that CARES enough about Sonic to not completely mess it up.

BUT, I think that, after the first issue, this book won't do AS well as the Archie comic, either.  Blame the more-than-a-year wait between issues, the increased price, and the lack of fan favorite characters.  I doubt it'll get cancelled, but I don't think it'll last almost 400 issues altogether, either.  And part of me kind of WANTS him to move on, if only so we FINALLY get Lost Hedgehog Tales (Kinda bitter about that, Ian.  Even if that Fulop lawsuit doesn't seem to be as dead as I thought a few months ago. I REALLY doubt IDW is going to put out a ReGeneration One/Hama GI Joe run here for you.  You promised this back in 2013, IAN!), but...that's just me being selfish.

...I guess I'm conflicted too, to put it succinctly (too little, too late, I know :p . ) 

And... There is lewd pictures of Tangle already. Good job, Sonic fandom, Good job.

*Nods head* 

The Sonic fandom is the best at what they do...And what they do is...actually not all that different than any other big fandom, I guess.  *shrugs*

Edited by ZakuConvoy, 24 January 2018 - 09:22 PM.

#79 Maruten

Maruten
  • Staff
  • 6924 posts

Posted 24 January 2018 - 09:09 PM

I think I made a joke earlier in the thread about StH by John Barber and Sonic Universe by James Roberts... but it makes so much sense I'd quite like to actually see it happen. 

WsuGTl1.jpg

#80 Soft Snow

Soft Snow

• Banned
  • 1957 posts

Posted 24 January 2018 - 09:34 PM

Is Sally Acorn going to be in this new comic, right? Without her any Sonic comic is just trash.

XIK8v9Z.gif

Spoiler

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users