Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  unluckiness : (23 November 2020 - 03:17 AM)

The real Drifts were the Windblades we made along the way

@  PlutoniumBoss : (23 November 2020 - 02:25 AM)

Drift-kun 2 Electric Boobylube

@  ▲ndrusi : (22 November 2020 - 11:36 PM)

I'm pretty sure Drift 2 was Empire of Stone.

@  Sabrblade : (22 November 2020 - 10:06 PM)

I thought people said Prime Wheeljack was Drift 2.

@  Maximus Ambus : (22 November 2020 - 03:51 PM)

Windblade was Drift.2.

@  TheMightyMol... : (22 November 2020 - 02:44 PM)

Drift with boobs.

@  Rycochet : (22 November 2020 - 11:50 AM)

I can't imagine a live action movie version of Windblade being all that different from Drift. Not my thing, but not the worst thing I've ever seen.

@  Bass X0 : (22 November 2020 - 09:54 AM)

The thought of Movie aesthetic Windblade makes me feel sick.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (22 November 2020 - 08:47 AM)

Though, the fact that Japanese people would pay for Windblade toys in the $30-40 range doesn't mean they'd pay however much MPs are going for now.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (22 November 2020 - 08:44 AM)

Back when I made a habit of checking Mandarake for pre-owned TFs, Windblade's toys went for surprisingly high prices. By which I mean not lower than the original price.

@  Maximus Ambus : (22 November 2020 - 08:15 AM)

If she's in the next movie you might get her.

@  unluckiness : (22 November 2020 - 07:58 AM)

Japan didn't get most of the IDW comics and are the target market for MP. They basically know windblade from a few crappy pack-in comics and a show that wasn't particularly popular there. Unless they start cranking out Cyberverse MPs, it's not very likely.

@  TheMightyMol... : (22 November 2020 - 04:24 AM)

Again, depends if she's popular enough in Japan to warrant it. Our view of which characters are popular is not the same as Takara's.

@  Bass X0 : (22 November 2020 - 01:53 AM)

So characters like Windblade then.

@  TheMightyMol... : (21 November 2020 - 07:19 PM)

They're complicated and expensive to design. By necessity, they're gonna be restricted to well-known characters who are more likely to sell.

@  Bass X0 : (21 November 2020 - 07:05 PM)

I don’t think Masterpiece toys should be restricted to only show characters.

@  Rycochet : (21 November 2020 - 03:09 PM)

If she wasn't in the Sunbow cartoon, Live Action movie or Beast Wars and can't be repainted from someone else, she's not getting an MP.

@  wonko the sane? : (21 November 2020 - 12:44 PM)

They'll make their money back if they include the metal thong...

@  TheMightyMol... : (21 November 2020 - 12:29 PM)

Is she popular enough in Japan that Takara would even try?

@  Paladin : (21 November 2020 - 11:23 AM)

depends. will that one also have a giant metal thong?

@  Bass X0 : (21 November 2020 - 11:10 AM)

Should there be a Masterpiece Windblade?

@  -LittleAutob... : (20 November 2020 - 12:46 PM)

EIGHT WORDS! THATS A RECORD! XD

@  wonko the sane? : (20 November 2020 - 09:08 AM)

So you were hired by a middle easterner! AHA!

@  ▲ndrusi : (19 November 2020 - 11:45 PM)

that's eight words

@  Bass X0 : (19 November 2020 - 03:56 PM)

"I only want to hear one word from you... The name of the guy who hired ya!"

@  Maximus Ambus : (19 November 2020 - 12:41 PM)

It's great how they reference G1 concepts like this one features the harmony from the episode Carnage in C Minor and and Slugslingers featured anti electrons from Grimlocks New Brain.

@  Steevy Maximus : (18 November 2020 - 10:01 PM)

Or at least those little story blurbs like Beast Hunters had. Especially for stuff like Selects which tend to exist in their own little side world

@  Maximus Ambus : (17 November 2020 - 04:03 PM)

I got me Legends Soundwave, Be cool if the next Generations toyline had a mini comic with the instructions.

@  Maximus Ambus : (16 November 2020 - 03:42 AM)

Aw no unusual activity on my Paypal Ebay, Amazon and Netflix account in one day! All I have to do it verify on those E-Mails and I'm all set..... wait a mo, I'm not on Netflix!

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (14 November 2020 - 11:56 PM)

I swear though.. The idea of "Catch up" is stupid.

@  TM2-Megatron : (14 November 2020 - 11:25 PM)

That's irritating, but it sounds par for the course with new hardware release. Within a year, there'll probably be some good stuff out there that does it all.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (14 November 2020 - 11:23 PM)

4K/HDR switches are.. iffy.. Because most of them can't do 4K and HDR at the same time.. Or can't do 120hz... and all sorts of things the new TVs have built in, and the new consoles use...

@  TM2-Megatron : (14 November 2020 - 11:18 PM)

Maybe now that the PS5's made the whole 4K thing a little more mainstream, the hardware will start becoming more common. I know that's one of the hopes the physical media community has for the 100GB discs the PS5 is going to be using. Prior to this, they were very expensive tor replicate compared to a regular blu-ray and not used very often

@  TM2-Megatron : (14 November 2020 - 11:17 PM)

Up to now, there really haven't been a whole lot of 4K disc players to choose from... Samsung stopped making them altogether when they couldn't compete with the others, so your main choices are a few models of Panasonic or Sony

@  TM2-Megatron : (14 November 2020 - 11:14 PM)

Is there no such thing as a 4K/HDR switch yet?

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (14 November 2020 - 10:10 PM)

Which is fine.. But that still doesn't explain why they arn't putting out up to date HDMI switch boxes to get.. more money.

@  TM2-Megatron : (14 November 2020 - 09:59 PM)

My only TV with a respectable number of ports is my OLED 4K/3D, which has 4 HDMI, 2 USB 2.0s, 1 USB 3.0 and some weird proprietary thing that acts as both component and composite, depending on what you need. But it retailed for $10k when it first came out (I bought it 14 months later for less than half that). THey're going to get as many corners on less expensive sets as they can, which usually means only providing 2 HDMIs.

@  TM2-Megatron : (14 November 2020 - 09:55 PM)

I mean, there are some decent ones for under a grand. But yeah, I imagine that's what they're thinking. Most people I know, unless they're film or A/V aficionados, all they've got hooked up to their TV is a digital cable receiver and perhaps a game console and dated DVD player

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (14 November 2020 - 09:45 PM)

TM2-Megatron... If that is their assumptions.. That is one of the stupidest way to think.. Especially since Multichannel receivers way to fricken expensive for that. 3000 is way to expensive.

@  TM2-Megatron : (14 November 2020 - 09:11 PM)

They probably assume the people who actually need a lot of ports are the type of consumers who'd have a decently high-end Multichannel receiver. Whereas those people who don't need many connections probably don't even have a blu-ray player or anything. Maybe just a gaming console for the kids and an old DVD player.

@  wonko the sane? : (14 November 2020 - 04:04 PM)

I saw that movie. I don't want jim carrey in my head.

@  Maximus Ambus : (14 November 2020 - 03:43 PM)

Soon beam TV programs into brains with a neural transciever anyway.

@  wonko the sane? : (14 November 2020 - 03:28 PM)

I'm surprised they keep reducing the number of ports on TV's.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (14 November 2020 - 02:52 PM)

Ahh.. No.. I mean an HDMI 2.1 switcher box to give you more imputs on a TV. :D Those should have been released in preparation of the XSX and PS5 considering their touting 2.1 features. :D

@  Maximus Ambus : (14 November 2020 - 02:25 PM)

Switch Pro, not even a thing.

@  wonko the sane? : (14 November 2020 - 02:09 PM)

Wait... I read your statement wrong: I thought you meant the switch version 2.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (14 November 2020 - 01:32 PM)

You do realize that the department that would be focusing on the HDMI 2.1 switch box would be different than the department working on PS5s?

@  wonko the sane? : (14 November 2020 - 01:05 PM)

And nintendo wasn't competing with others for marketshare at the time.

@  wonko the sane? : (14 November 2020 - 12:54 PM)

Probably because there's already enough demand on the manufacturing infrastructure to pump out two of the three consoles at the same time? Nintendo's last release saw people waiting literal months for stock shortfalls to end.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (14 November 2020 - 12:33 PM)

I just want to ask, why did no company get an HDMI 2.1 switch out in time for PS5/XSX

Photo
- - - - -

Shattered Glass General Discussion

Shattered Glass

318 replies to this topic

#21 MrBlud

MrBlud

Goes down smooth...

• Retired Staff
  • 52735 posts
  • Faction::RIBFIR

Posted 18 July 2017 - 08:59 AM

The Springer redeco (we never got) probably would've been the upgrade.

card-strongarm.jpg

#22 LordGigaIce

LordGigaIce

See if you can take the power of justice!

• Retired Staff
  • 2415 posts

Posted 18 July 2017 - 09:40 AM

The Springer redeco (we never got) probably would've been the upgrade.

Had it happened it would have been the one SG upgrade that was actually a physical upgrade!

SG Galvatron's a wash. The Evac mould's better than the Energon Voyager Megatron mould used for SG Megs. As far as being a toy goes (though I think the Evac mould is shorter iirc). Fictionally though? I have to think "rescue helicopter" is a bit of a step down from "space jet."

And SG Optimus/Nova getting smaller with each "upgrade" sort of became a running gag as far as I was concerned.

As I said...I preferred SG when it was it's own thing that kind of had some fun with TF tropes. I didn't care for it when it got involved in multiverse stuff. Then again I don't care for the "across the multiverse" stuff anyway *shrug*

As far as character design went...
I'm going to echo Magnusblitz. I liked less obvious decos. Like SG Megatron and SG Galvatron both have pretty traditional Megs and Galvy colour schemes. They each just take their respective schemes in a more "heroic" direction. While still looking very much like Megs and Galvy.
Same with Ultra Magnus. He's still using Diaclone PC colours, but now he has a skull face and douchebag tribal tattoos. I dig it.

Optimus and Rodimus were great because they didn't hijack the colour schemes of "positive universe" Decepitcons. They looked like you took their G1 colour schemes and put them through "evil" and "grimy" filters.
Optimus-as-Nova was neat. SG Nova uses the same colour scheme as Nova Prime does elsewhere. The difference was that he was now a benevolent upgrade of crazypants SG Optimus. Rather than being a tyrant from the distance past. Nova Prime's deco wasn't inverted. His character origin/personality was.

I also dug the mininots who had their schemes based off of the 2007 movie scout assortment repaints from the UT. Like that black and gold Cybertron Armourhide repaint being SG Huffer. Or that muted olive and military green repaint of Energon Strongarm being SG Brawn.

I was also a fan of the weird pulls. SG Soundwave being based off of the primarily white iPod-looking version of MusicLabel Soundwave was cool. As was basing SG Prowl off of a Mexican variant of G1 Prowl.

Basically any redeco, virtual or otherwise, that wasn't just "here's a character in his opposite number's colour scheme. Isn't it whacky here in opposite land???" was a win in my book. Grimlock done up as Trypticon and Starscream done up as Jetfire seem a bit on the dull side.

The worst had to be SG Cyclonus in Hot Rod colours though. That one character exemplifies every pratfall you can fall into when doing a "mirror universe" story. His colour scheme is just a boring reproduction of the character's opposite number from the "main" continuity. And his personality is just inverted. G1 Cyclonus was loyal? Well now he's a traitor!
It was just dull. Thankfully SG managed to pull itself up from that nadir, but it still has me shaking my head years later.

B3v0h0W.png

#23 Sabrblade

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase

• Citizen
  • 31418 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 18 July 2017 - 10:07 AM

And his personality is just inverted. G1 Cyclonus was loyal? Well now he's a traitor!

His whole ordeal in "Coalescence" was about his path to redemption.

"When there's gold feathers, punch behind you!!"
QUOTE(Bass X0 @ Aug 17 2013, 08:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think the concept of being educated and being able to educate is something that more people need more of in their lives.

No, we don't all know everything but we should spread and share that what we do know.

If I'm consistently misspelling a word, I would want and expect people to correct me as should I imagine all decent people who know the value of good literacy.

Its just arrogant laziness to know you're spelling a word incorrectly and not correct yourself or ignore the advice when people do tell you how to spell a word correctly.

#24 ▲ndrusi

▲ndrusi

Praise be to Stakeout.

• Supporter
  • 27716 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 18 July 2017 - 10:11 AM

G1 Cyclonus is a purple guy who wears a purple symbol, so it makes sense to me that his counterpart from the universe where he wears a red symbol would be a red guy.

Yes I know it's broken. It's an HTTPS thing and I haven't gotten around to dealing with it yet.

#25 Sabrblade

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase

• Citizen
  • 31418 posts

Posted 18 July 2017 - 10:40 AM

Been trying to think of an intended chronological reading order of the main SG fiction. Disregarding smaller ancillary media like bios/profiles and Around Cybertron/Recordicons, I think this might be correct:

Shattered Glass

Dungeons & Dinobots

Do Over

The Desert Heat!

Eye in the Sky

Blitzwing Bop

Transhuman

Reunification: Parts 1-6

The Coming Storm: Part 1

Coalescence (before the final epilogue)

Invasion Prologue

Invasion

Solar Requiem

Spatiotemporal Challengers Parts 1-4

Invasion Epilogue (this is technically more of a TransTech story, but it reads well as a direct lead-in to BWSG)

Beast Wars Shattered Glass, Chapters 1-6

Another Light, Prologue, Parts 1-6

Whichever chapter of "Of Masters and Mayhem" it was that featured one last look at the main SG universe.

The third epilogue of "Coalescence"

Although, since the SG fiction became so intertwined with the Classics fiction starting with "Invasion", I may want to add in the Classics fiction around all this and make it a "Classics/Shattered Glass" chronology list.

Edited by Sabrblade, 18 July 2017 - 10:42 AM.

I think the concept of being educated and being able to educate is something that more people need more of in their lives.

No, we don't all know everything but we should spread and share that what we do know.

If I'm consistently misspelling a word, I would want and expect people to correct me as should I imagine all decent people who know the value of good literacy.

Its just arrogant laziness to know you're spelling a word incorrectly and not correct yourself or ignore the advice when people do tell you how to spell a word correctly.

#26 zephyrX9

zephyrX9
  • Citizen
  • 1341 posts
  • Location:London, a small village on Mars, just outside the capital city, Wbbl.
  • Faction::Cannonball's Pirate Crew

Posted 18 July 2017 - 10:55 AM

I think Blitzwing Bop ranks among my favorite club stories ever, up there with BWU stuff. It captures the feel of Sunbow so perfectly while still having some impact on the larger plot. Transhuman was also good, but holy geez is Coalescence disappointing to me.

#27 LordGigaIce

LordGigaIce

• Retired Staff
  • 2415 posts

Posted 18 July 2017 - 11:29 AM

And his personality is just inverted. G1 Cyclonus was loyal? Well now he's a traitor!

His whole ordeal in "Coalescence" was about his path to redemption.
Never read it. I don't say that in a "proud of my ignorance" sort of way. More along the lines of "I was burnt out by the Shattered Glass story's excesses by that point."

G1 Cyclonus is a purple guy who wears a purple symbol, so it makes sense to me that his counterpart from the universe where he wears a red symbol would be a red guy.

Yeah, but then SG Ironhide ruined it.

Edited by LordGigaIce, 18 July 2017 - 11:31 AM.

B3v0h0W.png

#28 M Sipher

M Sipher

All hail Newmie.

• Citizen
  • 12550 posts

Posted 18 July 2017 - 12:20 PM

My original idea for SG Drift was basically Bandit Keith from Yu-Gi-Oh! Abridged. Hyperpatriotic idiot. Always called Optimus "Mr. President". A little BW Inferno-y maybe, but still.

M "IN IACON!" Sipher

The ISLE OF RANGOON - Advantures in Learning and Sarcasm!
Holy crap Sipher has a Tumblr apparently!
http://www.tfwiki.net - We left Wikia before it was cool to do so!

"I don't know whether it's a new thing, but it's certainly a current thing, in that it doesn't seem to matter what facts are. It used to be, everyone was entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts."
- Stephen Colbert

#29 LordGigaIce

LordGigaIce

• Retired Staff
  • 2415 posts

Posted 18 July 2017 - 12:22 PM

My original idea for SG Drift was basically Bandit Keith from Yu-Gi-Oh! Abridged. Hyperpatriotic idiot. Always called Optimus "Mr. President". A little BW Inferno-y maybe, but still.

M "IN IACON!" Sipher

That's gold, Jerry! Gold!

Seriously. That would have been awesome.

B3v0h0W.png

#30 NightViper

NightViper

Ehhhhh...

• Retired Staff
  • 42572 posts

Posted 18 July 2017 - 01:08 PM

Cyclonus was a "traitor", but not meant as a malicious one... despite, you know, killing a guy.

He was gullible, confused, manipulated. He thought he was doing the right thing for Cybertron at the time because Alpha Trion was whispering in his ear. The whole Alpha Trion/Skyfall dynamic showing how it could happen... but Skyfall stayed just unswayed enough to see Alpha Trion's crazy finally bleed through.

As for Drift, I wasn't ever really happy with him as a "Mech with a Mouth". Just wasn't my favorite (not saying its bad or wrong, just not how I would have pictured him). I did kinda like how Andrew Hall changed him in Spatiotemporal Challengers. Still not sure if that would have been my treatment for the character but there is charm in Robot Deadpool coming to Earth, watching too many Samurai movies, and changing his lifestyle because of them.

Edited by NightViper, 18 July 2017 - 03:27 PM.

#31 Sabrblade

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase

• Citizen
  • 31418 posts

Posted 18 July 2017 - 01:10 PM

All this talk of SG Drift is making me wish I still had mine. :(

#32 NightViper

NightViper

Ehhhhh...

• Retired Staff
  • 42572 posts

Posted 18 July 2017 - 01:17 PM

And I do regret not having enough time while writing "Coalescence" for the full research I like to do. So a lot was based on the Wiki, a very quick skimming, and my own memory.

But that was a very short turnaround given the ending of the Club. So I did my best to work in handwaves with the timeline and character selection while trying to tie off story lines that had to be changed because the drastic changes in the universe that came with the 2012 and subsequent stories.

All those things and yeah. It's all a completely different tone than what came before. Not a fan of that myself, although I do like it well enough as a stand alone.

#33 Monzo

Monzo

The Weirdest Fan Experience

• Citizen
  • 2201 posts

Posted 18 July 2017 - 04:20 PM

This should have always been the model for Shattered Glass Drift. You know it, I know it, the DOG knows it, Irene. (Yes, it's already mostly white, but that just means it'd need to be covered in more patriotism.)

Attached Thumbnails

• img_0754.jpg
  • img_0740.jpg

Edited by Monzo, 18 July 2017 - 04:21 PM.

#34 NightViper

NightViper

Ehhhhh...

• Retired Staff
  • 42572 posts

Posted 18 July 2017 - 05:18 PM

The evolution of the mock ups went:

Orange and blue Naruto-inspired -> Knock Out-inspired shown at BotCon 2011(?) -> Deadpool-inspired eternal flamester

Changing the country of his patriotism did come up of course. Well actually by Greg, like he said. Heh. But I think we all just had different ideas for what he could and should be.

#35 Sabrblade

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase

• Citizen
  • 31418 posts

Posted 18 July 2017 - 05:28 PM

FWIW, I like the final toy's Deadpool-ish deco and card bio.

#36 Jenny

Jenny
  • Citizen
  • 23047 posts

Posted 18 July 2017 - 05:31 PM

A Naruto color scheme, while hilarious, would've never worked for SG Drift. He's the opposite of positive Drift, so he needs to be the exact opposite of a weeaboo.

#37 NightViper

NightViper

Ehhhhh...

• Retired Staff
  • 42572 posts

Posted 18 July 2017 - 05:41 PM

A Naruto color scheme, while hilarious, would've never worked for SG Drift. He's the opposite of positive Drift, so he needs to be the exact opposite of a weeaboo.

I think the idea wasn't "opposite" but... well... if I remember...

He basically would have been the guy cosplaying IDW Drift if they existed in the same universe. A fan boy who found himself in an actual war, and he's completely unprepared. He can spout scores of dialog on cue, and his Great Sword is actually the Cybertronian version of cardboard and foil, but his swordplay video is on the Cybernet so he was enlisted without background check.

#38 Tyranno

Tyranno

Let's not lose our heads

• Citizen
  • 35142 posts

Posted 18 July 2017 - 05:43 PM

I mean. Naruto is actually Asian.

I'd say that's the exact opposite of a weeaboo right there.

"Disabled people don’t have special needs. We have very reasonable human needs. Our needs include freedom from abuse, violence, and mistreatment, the right to autonomy and self-direction, the right to represent ourselves, equal opportunity for education and employment, the right to accommodation, and societal inclusion and acceptance.

The need for accommodation isn’t a “special need”. It’s a basic human right. It’s a leveling of the playing field that allows us the same opportunities and chances as non-disabled people."

- Amethyst Schaber, http://neurowonderful.tumblr.com/

#39 Jenny

Jenny
  • Citizen
  • 23047 posts

Posted 18 July 2017 - 05:49 PM

I mean. Naruto is actually Asian.

I'd say that's the exact opposite of a weeaboo right there.

True enough, I suppose. I'd just imagine Drift as being something along the lines of........Evel Knievel

#40 Broadside

Broadside

#HaulOfFame

• Citizen
  • 11073 posts
  • Faction::Cannonball's Pirate Crew

Posted 18 July 2017 - 06:03 PM

I honestly think the guys who were "evil skew on their regular personality" tended to be much more interesting than the "complete opposite" guys.

unknown.png

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users