Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  Nevermore : (25 June 2019 - 04:05 PM)

Also, the theoretical new image would be a new compostion, it would just be individual bodies, or even just body parts, that are based on existing references by other creators, with the major caveat that there is more than one example for each reference so it's basically more like "following an established trend" than "copying someone's original creation".

@  Nevermore : (25 June 2019 - 04:03 PM)

Well, an homage is usually marked by a signature along the lines of "artist X after artist Y". I wasn't thinking about recreating something particularly memorable, just looking for reference images (just of a pose/perspective/layout) that looks like what I want, then finding more examples that just happen to look very similar, and it cannot be determined which version came "first".

@  ZakuConvoy : (25 June 2019 - 03:09 PM)

What you're describing is more an "homage" than plagiarism, really. I'm assuming you would be using different characters. It's basically like all the comic covers that homage the death of Supergirl cover from Crisis on Infinite Earths...but with different characters. It's not plagiarism, it's a reference. But if several artists have a memorable layout and are all using it, chances are it actually is referencing something memorably original.

@  Nevermore : (25 June 2019 - 01:56 PM)

Would that still qualify as plagiarism? After all, it could be argued that what I've recreated isn't that original to begin with since several other people have supposedly had the same general idependently from each other.

@  Nevermore : (25 June 2019 - 01:54 PM)

And I were then to create a new image, not traced but maybe "swiped", except I wouldn't copy a specific source image, but merely recreate the basic pose and perspective shared between all of them...

@  Nevermore : (25 June 2019 - 01:52 PM)

*deleted*

@  Nevermore : (25 June 2019 - 01:49 PM)

And out of sheer coincidence, they all feature very similar ideas, concepts, poses and/or perspectives, supposedly with none of the original creators having copied from one of the others...

@  Nevermore : (25 June 2019 - 01:47 PM)

Assuming I were to find not one but two, three, four or even more source images, all of them by different artists, or by different photographers depicting different models...

@  Nevermore : (25 June 2019 - 01:45 PM)

Just out of curiosity, a question regarding the concept of plagiarism:

@  Benbot : (25 June 2019 - 08:58 AM)

That game needs a remake

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (25 June 2019 - 08:57 AM)

I am Error.

@  TheMightyMol... : (25 June 2019 - 08:17 AM)

There is no error. There is only Zuul.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (25 June 2019 - 07:51 AM)

The unicron singularity fixes all continuity errors.. including Power Rangers related ones now!

@  MEDdMI : (25 June 2019 - 07:06 AM)

I reject your canon and substitute my own

@  unluckiness : (25 June 2019 - 12:32 AM)

Answer: It doesn't matter because even if there was one, it was never relevant in S1 and it got blown up with his original body

@  PlutoniumBoss : (24 June 2019 - 10:55 PM)

Most people think Transformers canon is a series of discrete parallel lines, really it's more like a big ball of canony-wanony... stuff.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (24 June 2019 - 06:31 PM)

Hate to say this, but the simple answer is that you are thinking too hard and realistically, it does not matter.

@  TheMightyMol... : (24 June 2019 - 04:57 PM)

Don't tell me what to do.

@  Paladin : (24 June 2019 - 04:16 PM)

don't cross the streams.

@  tffan01 : (24 June 2019 - 03:03 PM)

Or is this what AVP meant when he said that condradictory streams formed the JG1 timeline?

@  tffan01 : (24 June 2019 - 02:25 PM)

I don't like that idea.

@  tffan01 : (24 June 2019 - 02:24 PM)

In Ask Vector Prime, it was mentioned that in the Beast Wars 2 universe, Convoys all have Energon Matrices and that when Optimus Primal from the Japanese Beast Wars stream was transported to the Beast Wars 2 stream, his history was subtly altered that he too possessed an Energon Matrix. What does this mean? That Beast Wars 2 is actually not canon to the Japanese Beast Wars?

@  MEDdMI : (24 June 2019 - 08:54 AM)

yeah, I've got a few others that I need to check out/get removed. The nose one is small but annoying since I hit it every time I blow my nose.

@  unluckiness : (24 June 2019 - 08:46 AM)

Try to get a histopath examination if it isn't too expensive over there. It's probably just a mole but I'd think certainty would be better.

@  MEDdMI : (24 June 2019 - 07:59 AM)

@unluckiness I know, plan to get it removed but gotta get an appt first

@  Gizmoboy : (24 June 2019 - 07:50 AM)

oops... typed that in the wrong field. :)

@  Gizmoboy : (24 June 2019 - 07:50 AM)

gizmoboy

@  unluckiness : (24 June 2019 - 03:18 AM)

That is not a good thing, especially in the long term

@  MEDdMI : (23 June 2019 - 10:17 PM)

So who wants to hear about this mole on my nose that I keep scratching open

@  NotVeryKnightly : (23 June 2019 - 09:24 PM)

Yeah, it's kind of defeating the purpose of making political discussions more restricted if you're just gonna go at it elsewhere on this site.

@  Telly : (23 June 2019 - 07:06 PM)

that would probly fit better in the p & r thread. its there for things just like this

@  Nevermore : (23 June 2019 - 03:29 PM)

The citizens resisted by buying up all the town's beer reserves so the Nazis would have to stay sober the entire time.

@  Nevermore : (23 June 2019 - 03:28 PM)

Meanwhile, congratulations civil resistance, part 2: So a group of Nazis were holding one of their Good Old Times Reenactment festivals in a small East German town.

@  Nevermore : (23 June 2019 - 03:26 PM)

It's basically like an anti-Trump candidate winning Texas.

@  Nevermore : (23 June 2019 - 03:25 PM)

The mayoral elections of Istanbul are considered to be a key indicator for the political climate in the entire country.

@  Nevermore : (23 June 2019 - 03:24 PM)

This time, it was a landslide victory for the opposition's candidate.

@  Nevermore : (23 June 2019 - 03:23 PM)

After president Erdogan had a court revoke the results of the mayoral election of Istanbul after the opposition party's candidate had won by a small margin, the election was repeated today.

@  Nevermore : (23 June 2019 - 03:21 PM)

Congratulations, democracy part 1: Today is a historic day for Turkey.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (23 June 2019 - 02:31 PM)

Convert, does he timeout?

@  unluckiness : (23 June 2019 - 09:12 AM)

Did he form the feet and legs or the arms and body?

@  Patch : (22 June 2019 - 06:11 PM)

Nah, he was one of the Lions

@  MEDdMI : (22 June 2019 - 04:45 PM)

Is he a Shellformer

@  Nevermore : (22 June 2019 - 12:38 PM)

Supposedly it's about that football player Calvin Johnson.

@  Pennpenn : (22 June 2019 - 07:03 AM)

I'm vaguely confused why there is a Nicki Minaj song in my youtube reccomendations, but even more confused as to why that song (which appears to be from an official account) is called "MEGATRON".

@  Liege : (21 June 2019 - 10:03 PM)

Alpha Q all night long.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (21 June 2019 - 10:44 AM)

Only if you ask nicely, Silv.

@  RichardT1977 : (21 June 2019 - 09:42 AM)

1998 Zilla is the Gaijin era.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (21 June 2019 - 01:59 AM)

Alpha Q?

@  PlutoniumBoss : (21 June 2019 - 01:16 AM)

Alpha Q, and U, but not U.

@  Steevy Maximus : (20 June 2019 - 08:55 PM)

KISS Players

Photo
- - - - -

Bumblebee Movie Discussion - Travis Knight Saves Transformers

2067 replies to this topic

#2021 Spark

Spark
  • Citizen
  • 38613 posts

Posted 17 May 2019 - 12:11 PM

Also, Artstation wasn't in existence for most of those movies, and it's not like ILM guys were posting to DeviantArt.

Fall of Cybertron will blow your mind. That is all.

#2022 LV!

LV!

A tendency to speak in jest

• Citizen
  • 17123 posts

Posted 17 May 2019 - 12:24 PM

Especially since those are often based on the same earlier designs that the toys are, rather than having all of the details of the final models. Without a book like that, how many people are going to notice, for example, that the medieval promo art from one of the TLK teaser posters is actually engraved on Megatron's helmet?

#2023 Pale Rider

Pale Rider

...and Hell followed with him.

• Citizen
  • 8515 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 02 June 2019 - 05:24 AM

I just saw this movie and was blown away.

Having not even bothered with the last two Bay flicks, I reluctantly heeded suggestions to try this one out despite viewing the film series as a lost cause.

Little did I know what I was missing. The first two minutes alone were worth it. I only wish it could have been a hard reboot instead of a pseudo-prequel with some of the same trappings of the Bay films that always bothered me.

#2024 NOIP

NOIP

No One In Particular

• Citizen
  • 2179 posts

Posted 02 June 2019 - 07:00 AM

My understanding is that it is considered a full reboot now; but I only just saw it myself so I haven't been keeping up. I could be mistaken.
While you live, shine/ Have no grief at all/ Life exists only for a short while/ And time demands an end. Seikilos Epitaph

#2025 Pale Rider

Pale Rider

• Citizen
  • 8515 posts

Posted 02 June 2019 - 07:59 AM

I imagine they avoided just enough contradictions that it could pass as a prequel, what with the complete absence of Megatron, etc.

I just hope they let Prime keep his design (including his mask).

Edited by Pale Rider, 02 June 2019 - 08:24 AM.

#2026 GodSentinelOmega

GodSentinelOmega

The New Year brings New Powers!

• Staff
  • 12922 posts

Posted 02 June 2019 - 08:32 AM

I'm pretty certain that, from everything that has been said and shown, that pre-Last Knight, this was 100% a prequel. Then The Last Knight failed spectacularly, so the idea of some level of reboot came up. Yet they were unwilling to to wholly commit to a hard reboot in case that failed too. So Bumblebee started leaning more and more into becoming a reboot, while still containing enough vague links to the previous films, so it could still function as a prequel.

Also, it really is clear that Knights honest-to-god love for the franchise, and growing up with G1, is why the designs and Cybertron are so retro. Watching the behind the scenes extras where the CG designers talk about how much they loved bringing the classic designs to life, is amazing.

fslookup.jpg

#2027 Dake

Dake

Resident resident

• Supporter
  • 18797 posts

Posted 02 June 2019 - 09:08 AM

Somewhere back in this thread I think there's a link to the article where they've stated it's officially a reboot now. It didn't start that way, but since the movie did so well, they've made the call.

8ZSy6aw.jpg

#2028 Boomhauer

Boomhauer

Creator of all things Transformers

• Citizen
  • 5433 posts
  • Faction::Cannonball's Pirate Crew

Posted 02 June 2019 - 10:28 AM

Does it actualy matter if its a reboot or not? Those movies barely had continuity themselves -when they were meant to be- the same continuity.

#2029 MrBlud

MrBlud

Goes down smooth...

• Retired Staff
  • 51697 posts
  • Faction::RIBFIR

Posted 02 June 2019 - 12:10 PM

Only reason people seem to *need* clarification is so they can say Bay finally killed the films with his bullshit and they had to start over.

card-strongarm.jpg

#2030 Benbot

Benbot

What a nerd

• Supporter
  • 5088 posts

Posted 02 June 2019 - 12:15 PM

Also I prefer not to have my hero be a murderer and war criminal in continuity.

#2031 HellCat

HellCat

Opinionated idiot

• Citizen
  • 28312 posts

Posted 02 June 2019 - 12:39 PM

The extras insisting how G1 it is felt kinda desperate.

"Mainstream hates these movies now! You nerds are the only remaining audience! Look at all these shots of the G1 toys! Please support this movie, Bay scared the general audience away!"

#2032 GodSentinelOmega

GodSentinelOmega

• Staff
  • 12922 posts

Posted 02 June 2019 - 01:06 PM

I never reslly got that impression, but YMMV.

Does it actualy matter if its a reboot or not? Those movies barely had continuity themselves -when they were meant to be- the same continuity.

I don't so much need it for that at all. You're right the Bay movies hardly had any real continuity between films. Still, officially saying they are going forward from Bumblebee fresh, with zero dangling threads from the others, would be nice.

fslookup.jpg

#2033 HellCat

HellCat

Opinionated idiot

• Citizen
  • 28312 posts

Posted 02 June 2019 - 02:01 PM

I really liked the G1 respect in the movie itself, I was just hoping for something a bit deeper in the extras.

#2034 GodSentinelOmega

GodSentinelOmega

• Staff
  • 12922 posts

Posted 02 June 2019 - 05:28 PM

I agree with you there. The extras in general felt kinda rushed in places.

I wish there had been a commentary track.

fslookup.jpg

#2035 Sean Whitmore

Sean Whitmore
  • Citizen
  • 7930 posts

Posted 02 June 2019 - 06:30 PM

Considering that a desire to straddle that line is partly why Megatron wasn’t in the movie, then yeah, it matters.

(Not to say Megatron needed to be in the movie, just using it as a for-instance of compromise)

PSN: SeanWhitmore

Switch: SW-7452-6932-0513

3DS: 0490-6399-8582

I did a new video thing:
https://www.allspark.com/forums/topic/159447-whos-the-right-arm/

#2036 Shadewing

Shadewing

Evil faces a Black Night

• Supporter
  • 36107 posts

Posted 02 June 2019 - 06:38 PM

Considering that a desire to straddle that line is partly why Megatron wasn’t in the movie, then yeah, it matters.

(Not to say Megatron needed to be in the movie, just using it as a for-instance of compromise)

And why we got original Decepticon characters rather then any "named" characters.

3DS Friend Code: 0387-9040-3532

Twitch Channel

Youtube Replays

VOTE for what I play on 8/30!

Friday: Sonic Generations - Sunday: Transformers WFC - Tuesday: Little Inferno

#2037 Cybersnark

Cybersnark

Sorry I'm late. Had to get my powersuit.

• Citizen
  • 11116 posts
  • Faction::Equestrian

Posted 02 June 2019 - 07:10 PM

If they'd really wanted to be cute they could've included a commentary track from Bumblebee.

(Like how Galaxy Quest had a Thermian Language option.)

#2038 ▲ndrusi

▲ndrusi

Praise be to Stakeout.

• Supporter
  • 26591 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 02 June 2019 - 08:41 PM

If they'd really wanted to be cute they could've included a commentary track from Bumblebee.

(Like how Galaxy Quest had a Thermian Language option.)

Commentary by TLK Bumblebee and Bumblebee Bumblebee (the younger actor cast to play the same character in the prequel) having discussions in different audio clips.

QUOTE(orionpax44 @ Jun 24 2012, 01:03 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Childrens toys? whaa the boxes seriously say ages 5+ I consider myself the plus.
QUOTE(mx-01 archon @ Sep 9 2012, 01:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You're talking to ▲ndrusi. Assume everything that he posts is snark.

#2039 Pale Rider

Pale Rider

• Citizen
  • 8515 posts

Posted 03 June 2019 - 11:41 AM

Peter Cullen must be laughing all the way to bank and I hope he is.  I just wish they'd throw more love to Frank Welker on a consistent basis.

#2040 NotVeryKnightly

NotVeryKnightly
  • Staff
  • 22125 posts

Posted 03 June 2019 - 11:48 AM

Hasn't Welker had a consistently more active career since forever?

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users