Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  TM2-Megatron : (21 July 2019 - 10:05 PM)

Damn, that Unicron looks big. Not gonna be cheap

@  wonko the sane? : (21 July 2019 - 09:09 PM)

"By the way, your landlord called. Something about being late with the rent."

@  Nevermore : (21 July 2019 - 04:09 PM)

"Hi there, I'm Unicron. Your husband ordered me."

@  unluckiness : (21 July 2019 - 09:04 AM)

"Perhaps I misjudged you. Proceed on your way to the couch."

@  Donocropolis : (21 July 2019 - 07:33 AM)

I'm just afraid of what my wife would do to me if it showed up at our door.

@  TheMightyMol... : (21 July 2019 - 01:23 AM)

Giant Robot Satan has that effect on people.

@  Ashley : (21 July 2019 - 12:31 AM)

So, I might not be able to get Hasbro Pulse Unicron because my mother is afraid of it

@  Pennpenn : (20 July 2019 - 09:58 PM)

But that's neither here nor there.

@  TheMightyMol... : (20 July 2019 - 06:57 PM)

Six of one, half-dozen of the other.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (20 July 2019 - 05:13 PM)

Both maybe?

@  Benbot : (20 July 2019 - 04:44 PM)

Do you need a criminal lawyer or a criminal, lawyer.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (20 July 2019 - 10:40 AM)

I don't suppose the allspark has any criminal lawyers from Georgia. ;P

@  NotVeryKnightly : (19 July 2019 - 01:17 PM)

It seems like, with these kind of things, anything not TF-specific is either in an existing thread or just not discussed since they're not part of something deemed important enough to get its own thread already.

@  Benbot : (19 July 2019 - 12:45 PM)

Yeah, but it's for Transformers specifically

@  Gryllid : (19 July 2019 - 12:39 PM)

There is. It's called "SDCC 2019 thread"

@  Benbot : (19 July 2019 - 12:24 PM)

no general SDCC thread?

@  Benbot : (19 July 2019 - 12:08 PM)

I never even bothered to see it.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (19 July 2019 - 10:30 AM)

O never hated it, the whole thing was an Indiana Jones movie. I didn't care for the CGI, but that's just nature of the beast.

@  Paladin : (19 July 2019 - 07:58 AM)

sidebar- has enough time passed that we can stop irrationally hating "Crystal Skull" yet?

@  Telly : (18 July 2019 - 09:18 PM)

after 38 years and i dont know how many viewings, today is the first time i noticed indiana jones doesnt use a revolver in the bar fight in raiders...

@  Kalidor : (18 July 2019 - 05:33 PM)

@Sabrblade Depends on when you're here. I used to have the backups happen once daily, now I have them happen once per hour so you might often see a hesitation at the top of every hour for 30-45 seconds.

@  Locoman : (18 July 2019 - 05:11 PM)

isn't that just Modern Family

@  Foffy : (18 July 2019 - 04:45 PM)

that's right. my gym teacher is a clown. new series coming to disney channel next fall

@  Foffy : (18 July 2019 - 04:44 PM)

all these clowns are making me run really fast.

@  Sabrblade : (18 July 2019 - 12:10 PM)

All this awesome SDCC news is really making these boards run slowly.

@  Bass X0 : (18 July 2019 - 07:54 AM)

Racism must be stopped. No matter the cost.

@  MEDdMI : (18 July 2019 - 07:49 AM)

Tine to stop buttering it up.

@  PlutoniumBoss : (17 July 2019 - 09:43 PM)

Well shucks.

@  ▲ndrusi : (17 July 2019 - 08:14 PM)

The joke is a husk of its former self.

@  Paladin : (17 July 2019 - 01:15 PM)

Pop.

@  Shrug : (17 July 2019 - 10:15 AM)

Something something... corn bread?

@  MEDdMI : (17 July 2019 - 07:21 AM)

Ok, ok. Enough of the puns and let's all thank Kal for the amaizeing job he did.

@  Paladin : (17 July 2019 - 06:24 AM)

by now I think this jokes' been creamed.

@  Nevermore : (17 July 2019 - 03:31 AM)

The kernel.

@  Nevermore : (17 July 2019 - 03:31 AM)

Who gives the orders in cybernetic warfare?

@  unluckiness : (16 July 2019 - 09:59 PM)

Zea mays

@  Xellos : (16 July 2019 - 09:53 PM)

Isn't that a kernel of truth.

@  Paladin : (16 July 2019 - 08:43 PM)

huh. suddenly the Squawk is popping.

@  TheMightyMol... : (16 July 2019 - 07:47 PM)

Not placing much stalk in this conversation.

@  Nevermore : (16 July 2019 - 06:22 PM)

That's so corny.

@  Shrug : (16 July 2019 - 06:07 PM)

It's absurd how happy I am that a post of mine made the front page of Reddit.

@  TheMightyMol... : (16 July 2019 - 05:46 PM)

Aww, shucks.

@  TriBlurr : (16 July 2019 - 05:45 PM)

Not till I taste the corn

@  Kalidor : (16 July 2019 - 05:43 PM)

You guys aren't being very nice. You're supposed to tell me I did "good, really good!"

@  TheMightyMol... : (16 July 2019 - 05:40 PM)

Just don't go beyond the rows.

@  Patch : (16 July 2019 - 05:39 PM)

Left over from the failed Beast Machines sequel, Beast Farmers

@  Patch : (16 July 2019 - 05:39 PM)

It's techno-organic corn

@  TriBlurr : (16 July 2019 - 05:26 PM)

We have a cornfield? Can I get a few ears?

@  Kalidor : (16 July 2019 - 12:56 PM)

And lastly, if it becomes too much hassle to deal with - it might just get sent into the cornfield and replaced with a Discord box anyway. So cool it.

@  Kalidor : (16 July 2019 - 12:55 PM)

Second thing is we do actually have the ability to ban users specifically from using Shoutbox if it's being abused like that

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Power of the Primes General Discussion - Special Edition links on Amazon, page 411

reveals rumors Power of the Primes Prime Wars SDCC

9020 replies to this topic

#3861 Powered Convoy

Powered Convoy

Skywarp Connoisseur

• Retired Staff
  • 65123 posts
  • Faction::RIRFIB

Posted 09 December 2017 - 08:25 AM

Where's muh Skywarp and Thundahcrackuh?!

ACItEK8.png

#3862 Zillatron

Zillatron

Lord of the Energon Harvest

• Citizen
  • 6317 posts
  • Faction::Unicron's Spawn

Posted 09 December 2017 - 09:44 AM

Found the Scouts today at Wal-Mart. They weren't on the pegs but instead were in one of the Christmas bins near the toy section, so don't forget to check those.

Well, Art is Art, isn't it? Still, on the other hand, water is water. And east is east and west is west and if you take cranberries and stew them like applesauce they taste much more like prunes than rhubarb does. Now you tell me what you know.

Groucho Marx

#3863 LV!

LV!

A tendency to speak in jest

• Citizen
  • 17270 posts

Posted 09 December 2017 - 12:33 PM

It'll be weird if Takara does exclusives for POTP (PP-EX Skywarp or whatever) and they end up with fancy painted Takara decoes and don't match the rest of the line at all.

Of course, Takara also does exclusives that just use the exact same decoes as the original toy but in different colors, so that's a possibility too.

#3864 Dave Zero1

Dave Zero1
  • Citizen
  • 2429 posts
  • Faction::RIBFIR

Posted 09 December 2017 - 01:50 PM

To my fellow Canadian Sparkers, I bring tidings of a Straxmas miracle, POTP wave 1 has been released in Canada (specifically at a Walmart in Toronto)

#3865 D Buster Prime

D Buster Prime

Timeout. Do I convert?

• Retired Staff
  • 25927 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 09 December 2017 - 07:31 PM

The notion that the proportions "don't fit Starscream's character" kind of strike me as odd because G1 Starscream has never had a design that fits his character. He's a sniveling, self-important character whose design comes from a robot designed to be a typical heroic robot, because that's what the Diaclone toy was designed as, and every design afterwards just adopted that. The only Starscream design that was designed towards what media classically associates with Starscream traits is Prime, and to a lesser extent Animated, which give him a silhouette that compliments how shifty and kraven he is.

POTP Prime just doubles down on G1 Starscream's powerful anime robot look, so essentially it just built off of what was already there.

Are you suggesting that shifty scientists can't hit the gym and get swole, bro?  :-P

VOTE FOR SIDEWAYS:

He's on your side...except when he isn't!

Z7ACRD0.jpg

Spoiler

#3866 Broadside

Broadside

Crack Calibre Laser-Blazer Broadside

• Staff
  • 10936 posts
  • Faction::Cannonball's Pirate Crew

Posted 09 December 2017 - 08:07 PM

The only Starscream design that was designed towards what media classically associates with Starscream traits is Prime, and to a lesser extent Animated, which give him a silhouette that compliments how shifty and kraven he is.

I like how you specified "what media classically associates with Starscream traits", presumably to specifically exclude Armada Starscream.

3nAcIwa.png

#3867 Walky

Walky

King Kong Aventure Fudge

• Citizen
  • 40037 posts
  • Faction::RIRFIB

Posted 09 December 2017 - 08:23 PM

The notion that the proportions "don't fit Starscream's character" kind of strike me as odd because G1 Starscream has never had a design that fits his character. He's a sniveling, self-important character whose design comes from a robot designed to be a typical heroic robot, because that's what the Diaclone toy was designed as, and every design afterwards just adopted that. The only Starscream design that was designed towards what media classically associates with Starscream traits is Prime, and to a lesser extent Animated, which give him a silhouette that compliments how shifty and kraven he is.

POTP Prime just doubles down on G1 Starscream's powerful anime robot look, so essentially it just built off of what was already there.

Are you suggesting that shifty scientists can't hit the gym and get swole, bro?  :-P

300px-Drbigglesjonescasual.jpg

#3868 Blot

Blot

Grumble grumble complain grouse.

• Citizen
  • 7925 posts
  • Faction::Decepticon

Posted 09 December 2017 - 08:29 PM

I don't know.  That picture looks shoooped.  I can tell by the pixels.

#3869 Tyranno

Tyranno

Let's not lose our heads

• Citizen
  • 35085 posts

Posted 09 December 2017 - 10:40 PM

The only Starscream design that was designed towards what media classically associates with Starscream traits is Prime, and to a lesser extent Animated, which give him a silhouette that compliments how shifty and kraven he is.

I like how you specified "what media classically associates with Starscream traits", presumably to specifically exclude Armada Starscream.

Huh? No. I said that to specify what I meant. Like, I felt like that wording would speak enough on its own, provided one was familiar with most incarnations of Screamer.

no, I'm saying popular media tends not to associate those two things with each other when figuring out how to have character design reflect personality.

Edited by Tyranno, 10 December 2017 - 12:23 PM.

"Disabled people donít have special needs. We have very reasonable human needs. Our needs include freedom from abuse, violence, and mistreatment, the right to autonomy and self-direction, the right to represent ourselves, equal opportunity for education and employment, the right to accommodation, and societal inclusion and acceptance.

The need for accommodation isnít a ďspecial needĒ. Itís a basic human right. Itís a leveling of the playing field that allows us the same opportunities and chances as non-disabled people."

- Amethyst Schaber, http://neurowonderful.tumblr.com/

#3870 Adam16bit

Adam16bit

I Like Toys

• Citizen
  • 666 posts

Posted 10 December 2017 - 12:35 AM

Isn't Baltmatrix who experimented with reuploading his reviews with the audio track simply replaced with muzak?

I'm not immediately concerned, within the scope of this topic, whether good Transformers video reviews don't exist for fresh releases at all, or merely don't exist in English. (Wotafa clearly exists, I'll happily concede my own counterpoint.)

What I'm seeing are objections to the reviewer in a discussion of an already-divisive-at-best toy. I'm saying there's nothing anomalous about the review; it induces exactly the amount of sighing and groaning I expect for a random Transformers figure review on YouTube. It most certainly does not make comments about the design choices and process that went into this Starscream ill-considered or hyperbolical by association. That's my concern in the scope of this thread. 

A few years ago I was doing some video stuff and I was trying to experiment with making them as short as possible.  The first phase were videos made where I did some stills (or clips) edited together, and added the voiceovers after it was edited down.  This helped me get to 2 minutes or under, and while it didn't get tremendous views I felt really good about the end result.  People told me they'd prefer longer ones, I was trying to come up with something as snappy as an early 1980s 30-second toy commercial as an exercise in fun.

Then I head about Vine - 6 seconds.  That seemed ridiculous, so I gave it a try.

What can I say, I'd love to show as much as I can in the least amount of time.  It's a fun challenge.

And to steer this back, I just cracked open the new Metalhawk and boy howdy is he a big gun.  He looks great as a combiner's weapon, which I was not expecting.  Skullgrin is a little bit smaller, or so he feels anyway.

Edited by Adam16bit, 10 December 2017 - 12:36 AM.

#3871 lastmaximal

lastmaximal

Cyber Key Power...linx!

• Staff
  • 14048 posts
  • Faction::Minicon

Posted 10 December 2017 - 12:58 AM

I was expecting a BIT of talk from "6 second Toy Talk", but that was pretty fun!

SO OKAY IT'S AVERAGE
Virtually every custom as good as the title suggests!
SoOkayItsAverage.2.gif

#3872 Copper Bezel

Copper Bezel

Accessorized.

• Supporter
  • 49539 posts
  • Faction::Equestrian

Posted 10 December 2017 - 06:55 AM

Yeah, I'd completely forgotten those but absolutely loved them when I first saw them. Those are the perfect format for a Transformers video review. I think if you could expand that rhythm to, say, 30 seconds for something like the PotP Voyagers and Leaders, you'd be one of my favorite references for them. I saw a reviewer somewhere in Asia doing something similar for some 3P fare, and I really liked those, too. 

Starscream is a bit of an accident, having those heroic proportions most of the time and a shifty and squirming villain personality most of the time to go with them, but it's not a bad contrast for a character design, and it's certainly done elsewhere intentionally. I think Animated and the section of IDW continuity where he had the inherited Armada body used it to good effect. And honestly, yeah, Armada, too, where his heroic Dorito build was not a bad fit for a brooding, self-loathing defector turned hero. But that's depending on having a media source to work with and play it out. 

With Potpie, part of me is thinking that I'm not sure what this design is meant to say about Starscream, and part of me is just not really jiving with the execution in the details. You can take the Starscream out of it and it's a build that seems interesting and different, which is good, but I'm just not quite sold on yet. 

Shouldn't gravity be doing something?

Of course there's a figure of Rodimus as some kind of animal girl. Why would I be surprised by this?

#3873 NightViper

NightViper

Ehhhhh...

• Retired Staff
  • 42251 posts
  • Faction::RIBFIR

Posted 10 December 2017 - 07:29 AM

PotP Starscream is his idealization of his own build type. There he is being his own swole heroic self when suddenly and without his manipulation, gods start wanting to combine with him. And then other Decepticons humbly ask to join him as well, turning him into god king emperor of everything.

And then he wakes up and he's Authentics Starscream.

#3874 Shrug

Shrug

scoot scoot

• Citizen
  • 1095 posts

Posted 10 December 2017 - 08:23 AM

I like the idea of short video reviews. I vastly prefer picture reviews largely because the major things I want from a review are: 1) size comparisons with relevant toys (same show, alternate versions of the character, or remolds, etc) and 2) any actual design flaws or points of likely breakage.

I only check videos if I can't find pictures providing that information and then I just jump around them looking for the part of the video with the size comparisons.

#3875 Arazyr

Arazyr
  • Citizen
  • 790 posts
  • Faction::Vehicon

Posted 10 December 2017 - 08:58 AM

Just got the Legends Class figs from HTS yesterday. OMG, SLASH IS SOOOOOOO CUTE!

----
My Buy/Sale/Trade thread. Currently - CW Dev on eBay, Gen Thunderwing, Titanium Jetfire, Prowl, Grimlock.

Legion of Plastic, My (currently inactive) webcomic: WebsiteFacebook.

#3876 Copper Bezel

Copper Bezel

Accessorized.

• Supporter
  • 49539 posts
  • Faction::Equestrian

Posted 10 December 2017 - 09:14 AM

I actually do like watching the transformation process in a video review, because there's a lot of little details of the engineering it tends to show off and you get some sense of how the figure will feel in-hand. I do not like one-long-cut transformation processes with rambling unresearched commentary that demonstrate the transformation of both symmetrical legs and both symmetrical arms individually. = .

Articulation rundowns tend to annoy me when demoing a few key poses would look better and tell just as much.

Edited by Copper Bezel, 10 December 2017 - 09:15 AM.

Shouldn't gravity be doing something?

Of course there's a figure of Rodimus as some kind of animal girl. Why would I be surprised by this?

#3877 Bass X0

Bass X0
  • Citizen
  • 43872 posts

Posted 10 December 2017 - 09:39 AM

Where's muh Skywarp and Thundahcrackuh?!

Staying the Hell away from this crappy mold, that's for sure.

Just because you can't win doesn't mean you stop working.

#3878 Shrug

Shrug

scoot scoot

• Citizen
  • 1095 posts

Posted 10 December 2017 - 12:24 PM

Looks like the Legends class figures are showing up in a bin of Walmart's stocking stuffer display.  Gonna be plenty to go around before Christmas.

#3879 Zillatron

Zillatron

Lord of the Energon Harvest

• Citizen
  • 6317 posts
  • Faction::Unicron's Spawn

Posted 10 December 2017 - 01:19 PM

I think there''s an echo in here.

Found the Scouts today at Wal-Mart. They weren't on the pegs but instead were in one of the Christmas bins near the toy section, so don't forget to check those.

Looks like the Legends class figures are showing up in a bin of Walmart's stocking stuffer display.  Gonna be plenty to go around before Christmas.

Well, Art is Art, isn't it? Still, on the other hand, water is water. And east is east and west is west and if you take cranberries and stew them like applesauce they taste much more like prunes than rhubarb does. Now you tell me what you know.

Groucho Marx

#3880 SHIELD Agent 47

SHIELD Agent 47

Skull Leader

• Retired Staff
  • 9551 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 10 December 2017 - 01:39 PM

"Scout class"? Hasn't that term not been used since Revenge of the Fallen?

Is the Scout Class equivalent to the current Legends Class? I never bought any back then.
遊び終わ。- ブレラ・スターン少佐西暦2059年

Visit the Transformers Wiki and the IDW Hasbro Wiki!

Reply to this topic

5 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users