Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  -LittleAutob... : (01 June 2020 - 12:15 PM)

Ha! Talk about getting away with something!

@  Maximus Ambus : (01 June 2020 - 09:08 AM)

Carnivac was still an evil Decepticon at heart, and no one shot him in the back for it.

@  -LittleAutob... : (30 May 2020 - 06:52 PM)

*stares at the light switch* .... I see what you did there

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (30 May 2020 - 01:40 PM)

*hands llittleautobot1218 a light switch* There you go.

@  -LittleAutob... : (30 May 2020 - 10:53 AM)

I feel a need to lighten up the mood.... ;)

@  -LittleAutob... : (30 May 2020 - 10:38 AM)

:p

@  Maximus Ambus : (30 May 2020 - 02:14 AM)

Shockwave did it.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (30 May 2020 - 12:21 AM)

I'm not in the US and at least some of the episodes seem to work for me. I don't know the actual list of places it's available, though.

@  Shockwave 75 : (29 May 2020 - 10:37 PM)

Unfortunately It seems Cyberverse is only available in the US on YouTube.

@  -LittleAutob... : (29 May 2020 - 09:19 AM)

Yes, and its ongoing.

@  NotVeryKnightly : (29 May 2020 - 01:05 AM)

Cyberverse is already officially uploaded to YouTube.

@  fourteenwings : (29 May 2020 - 12:36 AM)

Spin Master is abridging current episodes of Bakugan Armored Alliance and posting the result on YouTube. Maybe Hasbro does that someday too.

@  -LittleAutob... : (28 May 2020 - 10:59 PM)

I see... :/

@  wonko the sane? : (28 May 2020 - 08:14 PM)

Within the US anyway. Those channels aren't easy or cheap to access in other countries, and their website often region lock content. Tubi is the only good thing on that list: largely identical (but not perfectly so. Damnit. I wanna watch COPS.) country to country and free.

@  Steevy Maximus : (28 May 2020 - 07:24 PM)

So yeah, Hasbro is using plenty of venues to spread exposure of their brands

@  Steevy Maximus : (28 May 2020 - 07:23 PM)

Starz currently licenses Transformers G1 and the GI Joe movie (as well as MLP specials). Netflix has more current series available.

@  Nevermore : (28 May 2020 - 07:21 PM)

Study shows: Holders of the title "world's oldest person" have a severely increased risk of dying.

@  Steevy Maximus : (28 May 2020 - 07:18 PM)

Tubi TV and Youtube both host various Hasbro cartoons. Both are freely accessed and ad supported. Any basic TV package (barring straight antenna) includes channels like USA Network, SyFy and FX, all of which regularly air the films from Transformers and GI Joe.

@  wonko the sane? : (28 May 2020 - 06:18 PM)

I dunno what to tell you, media might be changing slowly, but at least it's still accessible. Even the folks that DON'T get one of the streaming services can watch it on the company website. It's a vehicle for the toy line after all, they need to make an effort to make it as consumable as possible.

@  -LittleAutob... : (28 May 2020 - 05:41 PM)

Well. Thats said, then.... I guess... :doh

@  wonko the sane? : (28 May 2020 - 04:13 PM)

As long as the the cartoons are profitable, then they'll make more. The media it's shown on is completely irrelevant. I say that as a guy whose earliest surviving memory is a big red truck turning into a big red robot.

@  ZakuConvoy : (28 May 2020 - 03:06 PM)

Might be the end of an era. With the rise of streaming, who knows if Transformers will ever be on broadcast TV again.

@  -LittleAutob... : (28 May 2020 - 11:46 AM)

3 seasons on a show is usually enough... but yeah ;-;

@  Roddie Luver : (27 May 2020 - 09:37 PM)

I’m also sad Cyberverse has no season four.

@  Paladin : (26 May 2020 - 08:10 PM)

it's too hugging hot today.

@  -LittleAutob... : (25 May 2020 - 03:39 PM)

I'll agree with you on that.

*Figured -_-

I fugured

@  Steevy Maximus : (25 May 2020 - 01:37 PM)

I'm actually sad Cyberverse won't get another season. 2 and 3 (of what I've seen) have REALLY nailed it in being fun little actions shows, like the Sunbow series.

@  Rycochet : (25 May 2020 - 01:00 PM)

Yes.

@  Maximus Ambus : (25 May 2020 - 12:52 PM)

I'm waiting for Animated season 4. Am I insane?

@  wonko the sane? : (25 May 2020 - 11:22 AM)

I'm waiting for the next season to show up on netflix.

@  Sabrblade : (25 May 2020 - 10:59 AM)

Many of us have already watched the rest of the Cyberverse episodes since the whole third season aired in the UK last September.

@  -LittleAutob... : (25 May 2020 - 10:18 AM)

*9th

@  -LittleAutob... : (25 May 2020 - 10:17 AM)

I just saw the 8th episode... omg

@  Bass X0 : (25 May 2020 - 01:28 AM)

Already seen it online.

@  -LittleAutob... : (24 May 2020 - 09:42 PM)

Who's excited for tomorrow? The only thing that makes Monday worth it is the Cyberverse episodes .-.

@  wonko the sane? : (24 May 2020 - 12:30 PM)

Welcome. I just came into that trick myself recently, so happy to share.

@  Nevermore : (24 May 2020 - 12:05 PM)

Thanks, wonko the sane? for the tip with the cloning. That helped a lot!

@  -LittleAutob... : (24 May 2020 - 12:02 PM)

Heheh.... yes... I don't think a sniper would be very good at making a vaccine... 0.0

@  Nevermore : (24 May 2020 - 11:48 AM)

All right! Cloning my old HHD to an SSD and then swapping out the drive was successful, it would appear. Finally.

@  Bass X0 : (24 May 2020 - 11:30 AM)

Scientist Perceptor is. Sniper Perceptor less so.

@  -LittleAutob... : (24 May 2020 - 10:51 AM)

Perceptor would be more responsible.

@  -LittleAutob... : (24 May 2020 - 10:48 AM)

Oof x~x

@  TheMightyMol... : (24 May 2020 - 10:45 AM)

He'd cure the virus, but he'd probably commit at least two crimes against nature and weaponize a third in the process.

@  -LittleAutob... : (24 May 2020 - 09:39 AM)

'Horrible consequences' would most likely happen with Brainstorm...

@  -LittleAutob... : (24 May 2020 - 08:16 AM)

Totally. And Percy's not even human. XD

@  TheMightyMol... : (24 May 2020 - 06:50 AM)

Can't do much worse than our current government, I say go for it.

@  Sabrblade : (23 May 2020 - 10:13 PM)

Little do we realize that the Perceptor in question is the Mini-Con combiner. :p

@  -LittleAutob... : (23 May 2020 - 10:11 PM)

He would!!!

Photo
* * * - - 4 votes

Transformers movie franchise future thread

sales movies box office

1061 replies to this topic

#21 Spark

Spark
  • Citizen
  • 39394 posts

Posted 28 June 2017 - 08:52 AM

My guess is Bumblebee and everything else Hasbro related is gonna get scrapped now. Look for a complete reboot for all their cinematic properties. It's all toxic now.

https://www.forbes.c...u/#37c6779b7543

It might be a case where the Bumblebee is early enough that they can tweak the script and use it as a reboot springboard.

Fall of Cybertron will blow your mind. That is all.

#22 lastmaximal

lastmaximal

Cyber Key Power...linx!

• Staff
  • 14356 posts
  • Faction::Minicon

Posted 28 June 2017 - 08:53 AM

There's also the question of how much was spent on promotions, and how significantly viewed the domestic take is vs international.

I don't think it's a death knell for the franchise either -- that'll need another film underperforming this dramatically or worse -- but it probably could and should cause a sea change in the way things are done.

SO OKAY IT'S AVERAGE
Virtually every custom as good as the title suggests!
SoOkayItsAverage.2.gif

#23 NotVeryKnightly

NotVeryKnightly
  • Staff
  • 23613 posts
  • Faction::Free Agent

Posted 28 June 2017 - 08:57 AM

I'm not that attached to the live-action movie universe as its own thing, but I do realize that they are basically the IV drip that keeps the rest of the franchise alive and moving forward...

Is that really the case? I mean, the live-action toylines have been growing smaller and smaller so it seems like the others have become more reliable.

#24 Spark

Spark
  • Citizen
  • 39394 posts

Posted 28 June 2017 - 09:02 AM

Like I get that it isn't performing as well as the other films but......making back your budget and going at least 12 million over doesn't really sound like a failure to me

Making back your production budget isn't the same as making back your marketing budget (which is usually not disclosed).  For a summer blockbuster, it usually needs to make back twice the production budget to actually break even.

...This makes me so glad The Hub folded and Hasbro's "We're An IP Company!" stuff backfired, or they'd be in for some rough times.

Edited by Spark, 28 June 2017 - 09:04 AM.

#25 lastmaximal

lastmaximal

Cyber Key Power...linx!

• Staff
  • 14356 posts

Posted 28 June 2017 - 09:05 AM

I'm not that attached to the live-action movie universe as its own thing, but I do realize that they are basically the IV drip that keeps the rest of the franchise alive and moving forward...

Is that really the case? I mean, the live-action toylines have been growing smaller and smaller so it seems like the others have become more reliable.

I suspect that's just as much Hasbro tailoring things more (or a bit too) conservatively for the current retail environment, but yeah, Generations has really taken off in a big way seemingly starting with T30. That said, I think the franchise is MUCH healthier than something that needs an IV drip.

SO OKAY IT'S AVERAGE
SoOkayItsAverage.2.gif

#26 Jim S

Jim S

Evil Genius

• Citizen
  • 1816 posts
  • Faction::Unicron's Spawn

Posted 28 June 2017 - 09:35 AM

Like I get that it isn't performing as well as the other films but......making back your budget and going at least 12 million over doesn't really sound like a failure to me

It's not that simple. The studio only keeps a percentage of the gross. A good rule of thumb is 60% domestic, 40% International. China is on the low side at 25%. Then you also have to factor in marketing expenses. Figure that those expenses will come in at a quarter to a third of the production budget. Then you have to figure that there are opportunity costs to having your money invested in a movie. If you're spending 200 million on Transformers, you're not putting 200 million in the stock market. Over the last 18 months, we've seen pretty massive gains in that sector. So your target isn't to make back your money, it's to make more money than you would have if you'd gone with a conservative investment.

So your real target is production budget times 1.25 (marketing) times 1.15 (opportunity cost) times maybe 2.2 (to account for how much of the profits you actually keep, and realizing the Transformers weights towards the international.) My rough estimate puts 686 million as the effective Break Even point. Less than that and they really might as well have stayed home. Less than 600 and they probably actually lost money, not just underperformed the market. You could go into greater granularity but those figures should be roughly correct, give or take 20 million.

(Product placement should be already factored into the production budget. This does not take into account other revenue streams from things like merchandising, nor does it include any future revenue streams from home video or streaming or broadcast rights. But because of accounting quirks, movies are expected to make back their own budget without recourse to merchandising and future broadcast rights. Basically the future money goes to a different department.) (Generally speaking. Of course, there are exceptions. With a project like, say, Cars 3, the merchandising is the whole point and anything the movie makes is basically gravy.)

-JimS

Edited by Jim S, 28 June 2017 - 11:13 AM.

#27 Fear or Courage

Fear or Courage

Do I compel you?

• Citizen
  • 2138 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 28 June 2017 - 10:16 AM

My guess is Bumblebee and everything else Hasbro related is gonna get scrapped now. Look for a complete reboot for all their cinematic properties. It's all toxic now.

It might be a case where the Bumblebee is early enough that they can tweak the script and use it as a reboot springboard.

I've been thinking about this, too. If they want to reboot in a hurry, it's an ideal place to begin.

#28 Spark

Spark
  • Citizen
  • 39394 posts

Posted 28 June 2017 - 10:32 AM

I've been thinking about this, too. If they want to reboot in a hurry, it's an ideal place to begin.

It really is, completely.  Brand new director with a decent pedigree from Laika, new screenwriter (and only one), set in the '80s, no returning actors, featuring just Bumblebee and whatever enemy.  Introduce a new Bumblebee design and eliminate any stagnating ties to AoE or TLK (if any) and you've got a reboot.

Fastest way to cut ties would be to have Bumblebee actually talk.

Edited by Spark, 28 June 2017 - 10:33 AM.

#29 Thylacine 2000

Thylacine 2000

Charismatic Megafauna

• Citizen
  • 17079 posts

Posted 28 June 2017 - 10:37 AM

A "prequel" to a series with confusing, contradictory, and abandoned continuity would be suicide. Are they going to start talking about the Allspark Cube again, in 2018?

Make Bee speak normally and not be the Camaro again.

#30 Dracula

Dracula

Disc 1 Final Boss

• Retired Staff
  • 4778 posts

Posted 28 June 2017 - 10:40 AM

Compromise, just have Bumblebee turn into the front half of a Camaro and the back half of a VW beetle.

5140629382_7d653c135f.jpg

ALL OF TREASURES

#31 Locoman

Locoman

meow

• Citizen
  • 4021 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 28 June 2017 - 10:48 AM

And he's voiced by Dan Gilvezan randomly shouting radio slogans.

#32 lastmaximal

lastmaximal

Cyber Key Power...linx!

• Staff
  • 14356 posts

Posted 28 June 2017 - 10:53 AM

It's quite likely he'll be a Beetle, Volkswagen being the only piece missing (and they did already sign off on a Masterpiece, so...). If that aspect coincides with the good reboot we're waiting for, I can't wait to see the smug Geewunning associating any success with the vehicle mode and 80s setting more than anything else.

And by "can't wait" I mean I wonder how much MORE distance I'm going to have to keep from the usual suspects.

SO OKAY IT'S AVERAGE
SoOkayItsAverage.2.gif

#33 Spark

Spark
  • Citizen
  • 39394 posts

Posted 28 June 2017 - 10:54 AM

I still don't think he should be a VW bug.  The '80s nostalgia wave has basically passed as far as most people are concerned, so pick something new.  Keep the stripes, though.

Voting for a Nissan Skyline R32 (although the dates make that tricky, since it happend in '89) or Toyota Corolla, personally.  An '80s Camaro is pretty distinctive, but that tie probably needs to be cut.

Edited by Spark, 28 June 2017 - 11:02 AM.

#34 lastmaximal

lastmaximal

Cyber Key Power...linx!

• Staff
  • 14356 posts

Posted 28 June 2017 - 10:59 AM

Amen.

SO OKAY IT'S AVERAGE
SoOkayItsAverage.2.gif

#35 Jet

Jet

Super-unvincible

• Citizen
  • 24927 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 28 June 2017 - 11:01 AM

Y'know, unlike a lot of other 80's and 90's-era "muscle" cars, 80's model Camaros are actually fairly cool-looking, so I think it'd be cool if he turned into one of those.

D&D has to report to shareholders. Pathfinder only has to impress its neckbeards.

#36 Mouse_Pad

Mouse_Pad

Maker of Toy Box Comix

• Citizen
  • 9427 posts

Posted 28 June 2017 - 11:03 AM

I hope the Bumblebee movie doesn't get scrapped.  Everything I've seen about it so far seems very promising.  I'm not opposed to the idea of using it as a reboot, but a reboot just a year after the last installment in the franchise would be some kinda record.

#37 Spark

Spark
  • Citizen
  • 39394 posts

Posted 28 June 2017 - 11:13 AM

Actually, you really want to make it clear this is a new Bumblebee?  Make him a motorcycle.

#38 Shadewing

Shadewing

Artichoke of Misery

• Supporter
  • 36707 posts

Posted 28 June 2017 - 11:22 AM

Actually, you really want to make it clear this is a new Bumblebee?  Make him a motorcycle.

From that link, make him a Piaggio T5. Backdoor Gobots movie! :p

3DS Friend Code: 0387-9040-3532

Twitch Channel

Youtube Replays

VOTE for what I play on 8/30!

Friday: Sonic Generations - Sunday: Transformers WFC - Tuesday: Little Inferno

#39 Lazy Garou

Lazy Garou

Raider of fridges, eater of food.

• Citizen
  • 4171 posts

Posted 28 June 2017 - 11:24 AM

this thread is starting to sound a lot like the other gi joe thread. 

A persistent predator is always alert!awake! focused! and Zzzz.....

#40 Kup

Kup
  • Supporter
  • 3211 posts

Posted 28 June 2017 - 12:04 PM

There's a lot I find disappointing about the movie series. But I'd rather have TF6 finish the story and we move on instead of a half reboot/half prequel Bumblebee story.

Make it a 90 minute direct to DVD, wrap up the plot threads intentionally left dangling in TF5, and take a 5 year break. Reboot like ST09
"Someone once told me that Time is a predator that stalked us all our lives, but I'd rather believe that Time is a companion who goes with us on the journey, and reminds us to cherish every moment -- because they'll never come again."

Reply to this topic

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: sales, movies, box office

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users