Toggle shoutbox Squawkbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

Please don't post Youtube videos in the chat box. The forums software auto embeds them. 

@  Shrug : (21 July 2018 - 02:11 PM)

Anyone have experience with HFTD Seaspray? I just bought a used one (for a buck!) and all his hip ratchets broke on first movement. Does he just generally have fragile ratchets or is GPS starting?

@  Paladin : (20 July 2018 - 09:24 PM)

Remember it, for it is the last thing you will hear before I *shuffle* EXPRESS MY FEELINGS IN SONG!!!!!!

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (20 July 2018 - 08:46 PM)

Blitzwing, eh?

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (20 July 2018 - 08:46 PM)

Huh.

@  wonko the sane? : (20 July 2018 - 06:29 PM)

He leaks his crankcase, then we all catch a few new dents.

@  TheMightyMol... : (20 July 2018 - 02:58 PM)

Quick, somebody put his hand in some warm oil and see what happens.

@  wonko the sane? : (20 July 2018 - 02:25 PM)

Guys, SSSHHHHH. Megatron is passed out right over there, and dude is a MEAN drunk. Don't wake him up.

@  Paladin : (20 July 2018 - 02:04 PM)

*checks Hasbro's offerings* so, never. :(

@  Jetstream C-18 : (20 July 2018 - 01:26 PM)

They're all hugged when Omega Supreme gets back

@  unluckiness : (20 July 2018 - 10:00 AM)

Megatron is hammered! Now, I, Starscream am leader of the Decepticons!

@  wonko the sane? : (20 July 2018 - 09:47 AM)

And megatron is so confused as to why no one is shooting at him anymore that he starts binge drinking.

@  unluckiness : (20 July 2018 - 08:46 AM)

Grimlock eats them for lunch.

@  Paladin : (20 July 2018 - 08:09 AM)

Optimus wants to free the Minicons. Ultra Magnus says it infringes states' rights.

@  wonko the sane? : (20 July 2018 - 08:07 AM)

So... the nicest beings in the universe are fighting with each other?

@  TheMightyMol... : (20 July 2018 - 08:01 AM)

No Decepticons. It's Autobots Civil War.

@  Gryllid : (20 July 2018 - 07:55 AM)

New York Comic Con is in October, maybe there?

@  Nevermore : (20 July 2018 - 05:49 AM)

So.. thus far, Hasbro only revealed Autobots for Siege. Any ideas which show they will reveal the Decepticons at?

@  Nevermore : (20 July 2018 - 05:44 AM)

So where did the "Stege" logo come from? All I can find is Sipher posting it an making fun of it. Where did that inconvenient version originate?

@  Sabrblade : (19 July 2018 - 11:53 PM)

True. But it was due to Transformers' use of the name that Saban at the time couldn't use it.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (19 July 2018 - 11:38 PM)

But that's not necessarily a reference, just an attempt to use "Technobable" name.

@  Sabrblade : (19 July 2018 - 10:57 PM)

It's not Power Rangers, but Saban's VR Troopers was originally going to be titled "Cybertron".

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (19 July 2018 - 09:26 PM)

@paladin Energon would be too obvious. That's why I like Ore-13. It's not overt.. but still a nice nod.

@  Paladin : (19 July 2018 - 08:05 PM)

the original Sentai called it "Enetron." all they have to change is ONE LETTER.

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (19 July 2018 - 06:26 PM)

@saberblade True.. But I don't know.. I just want something simple like the "Energy source" in Beast Morphers to be Ore-13 or something like that.

@  Sabrblade : (19 July 2018 - 05:41 PM)

@Tm_Silverclaw: Operation Overdrive did have a weapon called the "Transtech Armor" ;)

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (19 July 2018 - 04:49 PM)

*sigh* This is going to be a long subline.

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (19 July 2018 - 04:49 PM)

I already hate the overuse of "STEGE".

@  Tm_Silverclaw : (19 July 2018 - 04:16 PM)

I just want Power Ranger refferenes in TF and Vice versa now.

@  Onyxstrike : (19 July 2018 - 11:32 AM)

I think Hasbro might be after more than just my money this time around with these reveals.

@  Otaku : (18 July 2018 - 02:39 PM)

@TheMightyMollusk Thanks for clarifying.

@  TheMightyMol... : (18 July 2018 - 12:34 PM)

@Otaku, most people were oblivious. The smart ones did their emergency shopping the day before, so there wasn't much left anyway.

@  MEDdMI : (18 July 2018 - 09:37 AM)

@wonko Only happened a few times and I don't remember the exact details, but yeah.

@  Otaku : (18 July 2018 - 08:06 AM)

@TheMightyMollusk Is that really the same thing? I mean, it is if the people were casually shopping and oblivious to the danger to them or the employees of the store, but if they were desperately trying to get needed supplies themselves... or am I just supposed to be smart enough to know you wouldn't have brought it up if it wasn't the former? >_<

@  wonko the sane? : (18 July 2018 - 07:59 AM)

Okay, what? I've had to explain why the TV wouldn't work when the power is out to children, but never to an adult in their right mind.

@  MEDdMI : (18 July 2018 - 07:44 AM)

*When I worked at the cable call center, some people wondered why their TV wouldn't work when there was an outage...

@  MEDdMI : (18 July 2018 - 07:43 AM)

w

@  TheMightyMol... : (18 July 2018 - 03:11 AM)

We had people still trying to shop while we were being pushed by state police to shut the store down due to flooding. The police finally had to help herd them out.

@  MEDdMI : (17 July 2018 - 07:36 PM)

Or working for an airline and people complaining about not being able to take off in severe weather, and expecting us to know when the bad weather will end. *points at window*

@  MEDdMI : (17 July 2018 - 07:34 PM)

Outages/fire alarms are fun when you work retail and people complain that they can't keep shopping.

@  Echowarrior : (17 July 2018 - 07:11 PM)

Outages occasionally happened at the fulfillment center I used to work at. Never fun.

@  Nevermore : (17 July 2018 - 04:51 PM)

Apparently the early shift (i.e. those who didn't participate in the walkout) were sitting in the cafeteria, waiting for power to return, while the late shift couldn't even enter the building.

@  wonko the sane? : (17 July 2018 - 04:18 PM)

Oh, wow. I thought the news about the website outtage would have been the topper, but that pretty much wins.

@  Nevermore : (17 July 2018 - 04:14 PM)

Whoopsie.

First the union called for a two-day strike yesterday, and then today the entire city where the Amazon warehouse I work at is located apparently had a power outage.

So,uh. Seems like Amazon's Prime Day really didn't go well this year.

@  unluckiness : (17 July 2018 - 09:55 AM)

It wasn't just blander and more polite bacon like I was expecting

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (17 July 2018 - 09:51 AM)

Canadian bacon.

@  wonko the sane? : (17 July 2018 - 09:15 AM)

And the even more important question is: is that ballpit deep enough to conceal a body... what?

@  unluckiness : (17 July 2018 - 05:35 AM)

THe more important question is if they have a ball pit

@  SHIELD Agent 47 : (16 July 2018 - 10:18 PM)

How many attendees on average does TFcon get? And how about TFNation?

Photo
* * * * - 4 votes

Transformers: The Basics

1087 replies to this topic

#41 Chris McFeely

Chris McFeely

That was then, this is now.

• Citizen
  • 9082 posts

Posted 10 June 2017 - 11:04 AM

Another great episode.

How many episodes are you planning to make, Chris?

No set limit! Like I said I've got the "big four" this month, but there'll always be something to talk about, I reckon! 

#42 Cybersnark

Cybersnark

Sorry I'm late. Had to get my powersuit.

• Citizen
  • 10521 posts
  • Faction::Equestrian

Posted 10 June 2017 - 11:43 AM

It'd be cool later on to do an ep about personal canons (since I've noticed they tend to be bigger in the Transformers fandom than in others), reaching back to these eps to talk about how some fans can repurpose these name reuses into new (or obscure fan-favourite) characters (since Bumblebee, Bumblebee, and Bumblebee don't really have much in common, while Bumper and Tigertrack have vanished into obscurity).

#43 Sabrblade

Sabrblade
  • Citizen
  • 25299 posts
  • Faction::Maximal

Posted 10 June 2017 - 11:59 AM

Another great episode.

How many episodes are you planning to make, Chris?

No set limit! Like I said I've got the "big four" this month, but there'll always be something to talk about, I reckon! 

Awesome! I wasn't sure if you had planned this to be a mini-series or an ongoing project. Either way, this is great stuff. :thumbsup

"When there's gold feathers, punch behind you!!"
QUOTE(Bass X0 @ Aug 17 2013, 08:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think the concept of being educated and being able to educate is something that more people need more of in their lives.

No, we don't all know everything but we should spread and share that what we do know.

If I'm consistently misspelling a word, I would want and expect people to correct me as should I imagine all decent people who know the value of good literacy.

Its just arrogant laziness to know you're spelling a word incorrectly and not correct yourself or ignore the advice when people do tell you how to spell a word correctly.

#44 Blade Raider

Blade Raider
  • Citizen
  • 2065 posts

Posted 10 June 2017 - 12:24 PM

Another great episode.

Minor nitpicking by a Beast Wars fan: That picture is of Santon, who is officially a separate character from BW Ironhide (and yes, there is a difference in their fictional designs). Meanwhile, BW Ironhide is G1 Ironhide in a new body, but only through retcons. All I'm saying is that Ironhide is a bigger mess to sort out than the video lets on.

Edited by Blade Raider, 10 June 2017 - 12:28 PM.

#45 ZacWilliam1

ZacWilliam1
  • Citizen
  • 16309 posts
  • Faction::RIRFIB

Posted 10 June 2017 - 06:09 PM

Great job again Chris. It's wonderful to have these out there for new fans. Thanks for doing all the work that goes into them and producing them at such a high level.

-ZacWilliam. I feel like the Wiki should have a little "For Beginners" box on the front page that links to this series. Just to help those coming in to everything for the first time get a good foundation.
Ever wonder about the speed of Turbofoxes?
Or the proverbial ailerons of Titanium Moosebots?

*Visit the one and only Cybertronic Bestiary.
For a mechazoologic tour of the mechanimals of Cybertron.

#46 Copper Bezel

Copper Bezel
  • Administrator
  • 46585 posts

Posted 11 June 2017 - 12:13 AM

All I'm saying is that [Transformers] is a bigger mess to sort out than the video lets on.

You have to stop somewhere, particularly with woefully obscure characters like this. I figure as long as the simple description given is technically correct and doesn't do anything to confuse the bigger picture, it's probably fine. No one for whom this video is primarily intended needs to know, right at that moment, that there are two or three different characters represented by that particular image. Ironhide came in a set with G1 names and no story and then somebody said later on that, yeah, he's probably the same guy, while he was released in slightly different colors in Japan as a different dude.

But to say that BW Ironhide is the same guy as the original character is both technically accurate now and also passes the squint test, since in this context we don't care about the toy mold, only that Hasbro decided to release a new Ironhide in the same continuity as the original and say it was the same guy, which they did.

Edited by Copper Bezel, 11 June 2017 - 12:14 AM.

Shouldn't gravity be doing something?

Of course there's a figure of Rodimus as some kind of animal girl. Why would I be surprised by this?

#47 Cattleprod

Cattleprod
  • Citizen
  • 2019 posts
  • Faction::Decepticon

Posted 11 June 2017 - 12:26 AM

Beast Wars Ironhide was introduced into a line where Scorponok, Inferno, and other classic names were assigned to unrelated characters, with no bio and no obvious similarity to G1 Ironhide other than them both having red. The toy probably wasn't designed with the intent of being the same guy.

#48 Copper Bezel

Copper Bezel
  • Administrator
  • 46585 posts

Posted 11 June 2017 - 12:34 AM

Beast Wars Ironhide was also sold in a box with guys named Prowl and Silverbolt.

Edited by Copper Bezel, 11 June 2017 - 12:34 AM.

Of course there's a figure of Rodimus as some kind of animal girl. Why would I be surprised by this?

#49 LBD "Nytetrayn"

LBD "Nytetrayn"

Quyzbuk

• Supporter
  • 18260 posts
  • Faction::Autobot

Posted 11 June 2017 - 04:19 AM

I like it!

Any ideas of what future episodes will entail?

Yup! My theme for this month of weekly episodes is "Who, What, Where, and How." Episode #1 is HOW does the world of TF work. Episode #2 is WHO - all about characters, the story behind name re-use and the evolution of "legacy" characters. #3 is WHAT  - what is a Transformer? A biology ep! And #4 is WHERE - where did they come from? Creation stories from atechnogenesis to Quintessons to Primus!

https://youtu.be/5drjr9PmTMA?t=2m10s

--LBD "Nytetrayn"

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gif0g9jaoG.gifuWt4fLV.gif

#50 Sabrblade

Sabrblade
  • Citizen
  • 25299 posts

Posted 11 June 2017 - 07:38 AM

I think that ticks all the biggest boxes for the debut month, and after that - on what'll likely not be a weekly schedule - it'll get more spotlight-y, with episodes dedicated to particular concepts (like the Matrix, Energon, Spacebridges, the Thirteen, the multiverse/singularities),

Speaking of singularities, fellow Allsparker Verity Carlo recently found a previously-undiscovered Ask Vector Prime answer in the Complete AllSpark Almanac that features a singularity-related question:

Q: Optimus Prime is sometimes one of the Thirteen, does this make him a multiversal singularity?

A: In a sense, yes. Most Universes have an Optimus Prime, and they tend towards exemplifying the best expressions of Autobot ideals. Megatron, Starscream, Grimlock, Shockwave, Bumblebee and the like could be similarly contextualized; as archetypes they are transcribed universally.

Really glad this one wasn't found until after the dissolution of the singularity concept.

I mention it here in case you'd need it to cite as one more official source of info for if/when you get to making a singularity-related episode. :thumbsup

"When there's gold feathers, punch behind you!!"
QUOTE(Bass X0 @ Aug 17 2013, 08:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think the concept of being educated and being able to educate is something that more people need more of in their lives.

No, we don't all know everything but we should spread and share that what we do know.

If I'm consistently misspelling a word, I would want and expect people to correct me as should I imagine all decent people who know the value of good literacy.

Its just arrogant laziness to know you're spelling a word incorrectly and not correct yourself or ignore the advice when people do tell you how to spell a word correctly.

#51 Copper Bezel

Copper Bezel
  • Administrator
  • 46585 posts

Posted 11 June 2017 - 07:57 AM

Really glad this one wasn't found until after the dissolution of the singularity concept.

I dunno, I kinda like that it presciently reduces the MS concept to "brand-central characters tend to look sorta like other versions of themselves." Like, really take it seriously, and it's almost as good as the Shrouding at breaking the whole thing.

#52 lastmaximal

lastmaximal

Cyber Key Power...linx!

• Staff
  • 13448 posts
  • Faction::Minicon

Posted 11 June 2017 - 09:03 AM

I think any talk at length about singularities and such kind of takes a few steps above a series called The Basics.

SO OKAY IT'S AVERAGE
Virtually every custom as good as the title suggests!
SoOkayItsAverage.2.gif

#53 Verity Carlo

Verity Carlo

trash meme goddess

• Citizen
  • 21880 posts

Posted 11 June 2017 - 09:07 AM

It's not really CALLING them singularities-they're definitely not, no fiction ever would even portray them as such-all it's saying is that the quantum harmonic resonance around their identities is so strong, that most incarnations of them are virtually identical.

But then I'm sure every facebook poster would take it literally and not understand because they like to poke and proddle.

staring dog stares

doggie_zpsafvtedef.png

#54 HellCat

HellCat

Opinionated idiot

• Citizen
  • 26834 posts

Posted 11 June 2017 - 09:18 AM

An episode about the long running fandom memes could be fun.

#55 Copper Bezel

Copper Bezel
  • Administrator
  • 46585 posts

Posted 11 June 2017 - 10:00 AM

It's not really CALLING them singularities

It certainly is, "in a sense"!

the quantum harmonic resonance around their identities is so strong

Fun fact: "quantum" is not sciencese for "a wizard did it". I'm sure that phrase has been used canonically somewhere to refer to the thing that you're referring to, but I'm also pretty sure that the thing you're referring to is also called "branding".

But then I'm sure every facebook poster would take it literally and not understand because they like to poke and proddle.

Given AVP was a Facebook thing, the thing you're describing is literally fan reaction by the target audience. It's not a side effect at that point, it is the efficacy, good or ill.

#56 Verity Carlo

Verity Carlo

trash meme goddess

• Citizen
  • 21880 posts

Posted 11 June 2017 - 10:06 AM

Well, yes, that is the real world term for it.

staring dog stares

doggie_zpsafvtedef.png

#57 Copper Bezel

Copper Bezel
  • Administrator
  • 46585 posts

Posted 11 June 2017 - 10:23 AM

I think any talk at length about singularities and such kind of takes a few steps above a series called The Basics.

I could see eventually coming around to almost anything that has had a large effect on a number of stories or continuities such that it's likely to be referenced in a lot of other The Basics videos. The question then would be whether or not it was ever a serious enough consideration to have influenced actual decisions made by Hasbro about story, continuity, and characters in major lines - which I think would be a hard argument to make. I imagine it'd probably come up if Chris does a video on Club fiction, though, in the same way that the Continuity video notes the special framing of the Aligned family.

#58 Verity Carlo

Verity Carlo

trash meme goddess

• Citizen
  • 21880 posts

Posted 11 June 2017 - 11:40 AM

Informatively:

http://tfwiki.net/wi...monic_Resonance

Edited by Verity Carlo, 11 June 2017 - 11:40 AM.

staring dog stares

doggie_zpsafvtedef.png

#59 Broadside

Broadside

Now I'm a beeliever

• Staff
  • 10341 posts
  • Faction::Cannonball's Pirate Crew

Posted 11 June 2017 - 11:46 AM

Anyway.
It bugged me that you referred to Shockblast as "Shockwave", Chris. Like, I get why, but..

#60 lastmaximal

lastmaximal

Cyber Key Power...linx!

• Staff
  • 13448 posts
  • Faction::Minicon

Posted 11 June 2017 - 11:46 AM

Ah yes, exactly the sort of thing I want to be showing someone who's new to the brand.

SO OKAY IT'S AVERAGE
Virtually every custom as good as the title suggests!
SoOkayItsAverage.2.gif

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users